Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
Sometimes, in Pet Island, it feels like we spend a lot of time yelling at other people for not being perfect pet owners. I thought it might be cleansing for us to have a thread in which we confess our own trangressions of the ridiculously high standards to which we hold other people.

I ran out of nice dog food a while ago and bought some allegedly 'Super Premium' (though actually pretty oily/grainy) food from the local feed warehouse as a 'one off'. Then I got lazy and kept buying it. This week I started stripping Dan's coat and oh my god it is greasy and gross!! Sorry dogs, I have now ordered two sacks of Taste of the Wild as penance :ohdear:.

Now you.

notsowelp fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Sometimes I only do the the full clean of the cat box once a week. I scoop the smelly bits, but I'm lazy on dealing with the used litter (feline pine). Sorry cats, but as long as you still go in the box, I'll probably be lazy.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I intentionally reinforce my cat's 'bad' behavior (knocking things off of the counters/tables, trying to grab things from my plate/fork while I'm eating them, etc) all the time because I think it's funny.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:smith: I yelled at Ires for knocking around Calvin's viv because she can't jump for poo poo and tried to jump it, flailed all over it and I freaked out. She was really upset for the next few hours because oh god, I yelled at her and I never yell. Calvin did not even notice except for getting doused with CGD. She's fine.

That was Sunday. It's Tuesday. I still feel terrible about it. I'm sorry sad little puppy oh god please don't look at me like that.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bailey is lazy and hates long walks. So I don't force him to spend a lot of time outside. We do lots of training instead and play. Sometimes I feel guilty about it, but after 15 minutes he's ready to go home and gets really pathetic if we don't go back.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

I scoop my cat's box, like, every two weeks. In the meantime, I just pour more little over it so it doesn't smell. It's a large box and he doesn't care, so :effort:.

I also smack all my animals on the rear end. Sometimes they like it (the cat gets all :catstare: OH YEAH BUTT SMACKS) and sometimes they don't (the dog gets all :saddowns: MY BUTT), and I'm never going to stop. :colbert:

The dog has gotten very good at avoiding butt smacks, haha. It's really more of a butt pat for her, but she gets upset at her own farts, so obviously she has weird butt issues in her head.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I often forget to do the cat box in good time, so the way I'm reminded is that I notice she starts peeing on the waterproof cover on the futon. That's my reminder "hey rear end in a top hat get this done"

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I let Apple stand and stare at the fence, waiting for his boyfriend (the neighbor chihuahua) to come out so they can have a barking contest at each other. I know I should (and could) train him to not do that, but he seems to enjoy it so much. I will let him bark for a while and then make him come inside.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Serella posted:

I scoop my cat's box, like, every two weeks. In the meantime, I just pour more little over it so it doesn't smell. It's a large box and he doesn't care, so :effort:.

I also smack all my animals on the rear end. Sometimes they like it (the cat gets all :catstare: OH YEAH BUTT SMACKS) and sometimes they don't (the dog gets all :saddowns: MY BUTT), and I'm never going to stop. :colbert:

The dog has gotten very good at avoiding butt smacks, haha. It's really more of a butt pat for her, but she gets upset at her own farts, so obviously she has weird butt issues in her head.

Oh good, I'm not the only one. I think my dog likes the butt smacks, though. I also give in to her puppy dog eyes and feed her table scraps.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
I gave up on trying to stop Ginny from chewing on my hands and now actively play tug with her by sticking my hand in her mouth and tugging on her tooth. It's become her favorite game.

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
I feed my rats Harlan Teklad lab blocks (PI rat ladies apparently hate rat blocks) mixed with Regal Rat and a cup of fruits and veggies of all types every night. I am not the homemade type of gal because I am too lazy go out and buy all the stuff. I prefer to buy the blocks in bulk online and buy the Regal Rat stuff from the Humane Society store after volunteer sessions, and then feed them what fruits/veggies I have in the fridge.

I asked a question about shadowing euthanasia and PI people jumped on me about that one about a year or so ago. I should have answered my own question by giving the pet owner, doctor and the pet some respect, and view euthanasia when the owner is not present or in a drop-off situation. I swear I am not sadistic in that regard. I am just a too eager pre-vet student wanting to see a lot.

That's it, for now.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

I feed z/d to my cats. It didn't work on the one with allergies, but they love it so they all get it anyways. Delicious hydrolyzed chicken cheetos formed into meat jello. Yum.

I also give my allergy cat 'roids and I don't feel particularly guilty about it because she's a ghost cat.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I think I bore and disappoint my cat. Sometimes she walks into the room, looks at me, then walks off. I imagine a sighing noise as she goes. I leave things around the house hoping she will get into them and be cute but she never does. I have a cat that doesn't like boxes, what's up with that?

Also she gets butt smacks. She loves them. Then I try to pick her up. She isn't a fan but makes a noise like a squeaky toy and comes right back for more petting so I keep doing it.

Oh, I also don't bother trimming her claws. She only shreds paper towel rolls and scratches on cardboard scrastches so as long as she isn't in danger of getting an ingrown claw I figure :effort:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I kick geese that are attacking me. Not hard, just enough to gently punt them out of the way and remind them that I am the animal with teeth around here.

Also, I killed my boyfriend's last conure by putting a heater too close to his cage. I also convinced him to buy the new conure. This is actually a constant source of mild angst for me, but not too much because holy poo poo conures are adorable.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
My vet recommended an all wet diet for my cat because he was morbidly obese and had various hydration issues that kept popping up every year. I was prepared to feed him an organic, grain free, protein rich diet. It lasted less than a week, the stupid jerkface wouldn't so much as touch the wet food that wasn't mostly comprised of unspecified byproduct. I caved and just feed him Fancy Feast now, I justify it by picking out the varieties that aren't mostly gravy and the fact that he's down to 15 pounds from 22.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

My rats get hands on out of the cage time only once a month or so from me because of how bad my allergies to them have gotten. I can't touch them without getting hives and if I accidentally rub my eye after touching them my whole face swells up but I'm too emotionally attached to give them up. I give them lots of toys and new stuff to explore instead and build a "rat patio" for the younger ones to play on.

I also feed Harlan Tekland lab blocks. They get veggies, fruit and proteins a couple of times a week but my rats have always done really well on it and will turn up their nose at treats for the blocks. I have a 4 year old rat right now so I think they do pretty well on it.

I scoop my cat's litter every couple of days and If I'm going to switch out the whole litter I let it go for longer.

The dogs spend too much time in their crates. They sleep in their crates and are in there when I'm at work. I can't trust them not to eat the walls and kill themselves if I'm not watching them.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I yelled at my cat last night, which I've never done before. :( I wasn't feeling well and was trying to take a nap on the couch when she decided to destroy something in the kitchen, which I ignored, but then she started meowing loudly and would not shut up. I mean, she's a tortie and normally I love her talkative ways but I just wanted her to be quiet and she wouldn't come sleep on the couch or curl up somewhere quietly like she usually does when I'm napping. When she started yowling and tearing up a plastic bag I yelled, really yelled, at her to just shut up already and she immediately stopped and stared at me, confused. I think she forgave me because she eventually came up and cuddled with me so we did end up napping for a while, but I still feel like poo poo about it. I'm sorry kitty, it's not your fault you wanted attention and I wanted to sleep.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Frankie gets mostly ignored because he just doesn't demand as much attention as Moses. With the ridiculous rotation of dogs I'm having to do combined with my parents ridiculous and asinine dog rules, it means that I just do not get to spend much one on one time with him and he is mostly a background character. He used to have a ton of personality and be sassy as heck, and since I've lived with my parents he has slowly shut down because he's always being shoo'd or ignored in favor of Moses- because if Moses doesn't get enough exercise, attention, or training, he becomes unmanageable in the house and stops tolerating Frankie. If Frankie doesn't get attention, he just accepts it and goes and lays down somewhere. :( I have a lot of guilt over it and am looking forward to making up for a year of bullshit after we move to our new house this weekend. I'm going to spoil him and give him so many Privileges and make him feel Fancy again abloooo guilt :qq:

My mice are bred too young, too often, and are overcrowded. They eat amazingly and are cleaned regularly, but I house 6 or 7 mice in a bin fit for maybe half that. My males are kept individually in critter keepers that are way too small. They're about to get a massive housing upgrade since I'll actually have space to dedicate to them after the move, but tbh my males will probably be housed in too small cages and they'll prob still be kinda crowded. I dunno, mice. v:shobon:v

I have no desire to interact with rats anymore and should not have them as pets, but I grew up with them and they are such a staple of my life that everything feels weird if I don't have one, so I keep one or two at a time in a tank. They eat well and are clean and play with each other, but they get very little attention and are treated more like hamsters than anything and 12 year-old-me would be livid if they saw that I keep a rat or two in a tank and ignore them just because "I Have Rats Because I Do."

I am inconsistent with my dogs and occasionally yell at them. I also will encourage obnoxious behaviors one minute because they are funny, and then scold them for it later when I'm busy and they're bothering me.

Sometimes when I'm tired i don't walk Moses and then I yell at him to go lay down when he starts bouncing off the walls but it isn't often I promise waaaaaah :qq:

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

I was angrier at Mouse than I have ever been at the weekend. I had heated up some soup and put the container on the counter, went out of the room for a couple of minutes and when I came back she had pulled it down onto the floor and splattered carrot and sweet potato goop EVERYWHERE. The kitchen is carpeted too oh god :negative:. Anyway I managed not to totally lose my temper, but I was very disappointed with her conduct and sent her out of the room while I cleaned up. She kept poking a Sad Mouse Face around the door, and I kept telling her to go away you are a bad dog :mad:. We made up afterwards but jeez Mouse did it have to be *orange* soup...

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
My chickens got eaten on Thanksgiving because we left them in an unsecure coop. The one night we decided not to bring them inside. 'No, they'll be fine, it's fine.' :smith:

Unlike some insane dogladies PI posters, I like that my dog is a living throw pillow and I encourage it by frequently forgetting to walk him except for maybe 1-2 times a week, and we spend hours napping and eating snacks together because we are lazy skinnyfats. He is demanding and prissy and I encourage his attention-grabbing habits because it is funny to me, but I scold the big dog for the same behavior because I am a hypocrite. I let him get away with murder because he is cute. There, I said it.

I made my girlfriend buy me a hamster on impulse one day and now I have a hamster and I gave her a nice big cage and good food and everything but I'm pretty 'meh' about it and I basically just have a hamster, I guess. I let her run around in a plastic ball but rarely handle her. A hamster, it exists.

Also I backyard breed geckos and I care more about their coloration/pattern and how nice their terrarium looks as a display then I do about having them as pets. :smug:

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
One of my dogs is seriously over-assertive with dogs smaller than himself. The moment he sees one he immediately shoulder-checks it and then stands over it with his ears and tail as high as possible. "I am king of the world! I am the biggest dog!" Complete rear end in a top hat behavior. This usually takes place at the off-leash dog beach.

However, the dog in question weighs 6lbs and stands about 6" tall, so this really doesn't happen that often. If he were any bigger I might have to do something other than laugh my rear end off every time he bullies a toy-breed puppy.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I judged people with dogs that have crops and docks without thinking. :negative: Never living that down. Also I was pretty dumb when I first joined and I still feel like I'm pretty dumb about Dog Things next to some PI regulars, but I'm more of a small animal person anyway. I considered bringing multiple dogs into a household with a small child (the dogs being Corbin and I was considering a shiba inu at the time :gonk:).

Last thing: I was a hoarder. There, I said it. I was a small mammal animal hoarder when I was pregnant and ended up having to rehome at least 5 animals I couldn't care for because of the sheer amount and not having the time or money to care for them. :sigh: I'm glad I've mostly stopped (now I'm even super reluctant to go to pet stores and the like) but it was still pretty bad at the time.
So yeah!! Impulse buys are bad for the most part and I feel bad about that. At the very least, all the animals I have rehomed are with people I trust and can visit whenever to make sure they're alright. :3:

e: Captain Foxy, one of the animals I impulse....kept? Is a hamster. My friend dropped him off on me and never took him back because :effort:

Hardwood Floor fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 28, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Captain Foxy posted:

My chickens got eaten on Thanksgiving because we left them in an unsecure coop. The one night we decided not to bring them inside. 'No, they'll be fine, it's fine.' :smith:

Unlike some insane dogladies PI posters, I like that my dog is a living throw pillow and I encourage it by frequently forgetting to walk him except for maybe 1-2 times a week, and we spend hours napping and eating snacks together because we are lazy skinnyfats. He is demanding and prissy and I encourage his attention-grabbing habits because it is funny to me, but I scold the big dog for the same behavior because I am a hypocrite. I let him get away with murder because he is cute. There, I said it.

I made my girlfriend buy me a hamster on impulse one day and now I have a hamster and I gave her a nice big cage and good food and everything but I'm pretty 'meh' about it and I basically just have a hamster, I guess. I let her run around in a plastic ball but rarely handle her. A hamster, it exists.

Also I backyard breed geckos and I care more about their coloration/pattern and how nice their terrarium looks as a display then I do about having them as pets. :smug:

This is why I am okay with Bailey usually being lazy, but occasionally he decides he is A Heeler that Does Heeler Things. Like deciding to jump on the table, occasionally shred things I leave around, follow me around the house, jump and nip (no pressure) my thumb and be afraid of the wet ground.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Also, OP, I don't know what you're talking about. I've been a moderator here for over a week and nobody's done anything even probate-worthy until today (though there was one close call, but being a little snide isn't really worth coming down on imo). You wouldn't believe the volume some forums get.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Most of Beck's vet care is done through a lovely country vet who can't be counted on to diagnose anything more complicated than a hotspot because of a lack of equipment and because he's old and redneck as heck. When Skylar started coughing he told us it was probably allergies and wrote her a prescription for antihistimines- when we took her to the teaching hospital I use for more complicated stuff she was diagnosed with lung cancer. If I need a real diagnosis I go there, but for 90% of stuff my old vet is way cheaper and less of a drive.

A lot of dogs are boring to me but the only dogs I dislike on the whole are Yorkies. They just look sickly to me. One of my coworkers wants to talk about dogs with me all the time but I can't because I'm afraid it'll slip out that I think her dog looks weird and greasy.

I come from a family who only adopts dogs, I've worked in a shelter, and I'm fine having rescue pit bulls since I can always find one that's high energy and emotionally needy but I would drop huge amounts of money on a bone mouth shar pei from Hong Kong if I ever had the chance and I'd be such a smug rear end in a top hat about it.

Sometimes I subtly encourage Beck to stay on the bed when my girlfriend is trying to get her off of it. I can do this without my girlfriend realizing that's what I'm doing by just talking to Beck or looking her in the eye. I do it because Beck is cute and I'm terrible.

edit: Also sometimes when I'm having a beer I dip my little finger in it and let Beck lick it off so she thinks she's special.

Wheats fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 28, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I let the rats beer and wine off my fingers. I only really seek out the company of two of my four, since those are the ones I like. I slack on giving them regular fruit and veg they're supposed to get, and one of them is actually pretty fat. Sorry rats but you're still spoiled vermin so I don't feel that bad.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Pile of Kittens posted:

Also, OP, I don't know what you're talking about. I've been a moderator here for over a week and nobody's done anything even probate-worthy until today (though there was one close call, but being a little snide isn't really worth coming down on imo). You wouldn't believe the volume some forums get.

Eh, I'm just poking fun. (This is notsoape by the way). Pet Island is chill these days but some of us still remember 06-09 :colbert:. Self-righteous proselytising is definitely part of the PI heritage.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Invalid Octopus posted:

I let the rats beer and wine off my fingers. I only really seek out the company of two of my four, since those are the ones I like. I slack on giving them regular fruit and veg they're supposed to get, and one of them is actually pretty fat. Sorry rats but you're still spoiled vermin so I don't feel that bad.

The way I see it, rats should be spoiled because you'll never know when they'll kick the bucket or get massive tumors everywhere.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
I really don't give a poo poo about working with Stan on his dude issues because he's working on it on his own and getting better. Who gives a gently caress if he gets upset at stuff, he gets over it and moves on. With no work, he now sleeps on my boyfriend's pillows, follows him around the house just to see what he's doing, and demands attention from him. Good enough for me.

3 (now 2) cats, one giant litter box.

Oh, and I have my snakes and a dumbass leopard gecko living in a little room in a metal building because. It's fully insulated, and they're on a nice thermostat, they just don't really get paid attention to outside of food.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I used to live with this arrogant cat that I loved, it belonged to my Russian roommate.

He would wake me up at 5am to feed him, so I took revenge at lunch sometimes, opening the fridge door to have him come all hopeful, and dissapoint him a couple of times before feeding him.

Sorry Caesar. That was a bit of an rear end in a top hat thing. xD

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

notsowelp posted:

Eh, I'm just poking fun. (This is notsoape by the way). Pet Island is chill these days but some of us still remember 06-09 :colbert:. Self-righteous proselytising is definitely part of the PI heritage.

Or uh just.. sperging endlessly in the pet store aisle to someone about to buy a betta fish and a fish bowl and :byodame:

That person certainly isn't me. I certainly also didn't deliver a Pardalis and Foxy-inspired speech that should have been entitled: No, That Veiled Chameleon Hates You And You Really Don't Want To Own One.

Totally didn't.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

I laughed when my dog was trying to hump my nephew on a giant beanbag last weekend instead of stopping it and trying to dissuade the behavior...

His mom and my wife were laughing at it too

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I rarely scrub out the litter boxes. They get scooped daily, but taking out all the litter, scrubbing it down, and then filling it back up? Ehhhhh :effort:

The dog also gets short lovely walks when it's cold outside because gently caress that I'm cold. She can entertain herself indoors for the night.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I don't much care for my second dog. She just gets to tag along with me and dog #1 because she's not terribly inconvenient.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Sometimes I turn the sink or shower on when there's a cat siting in there because it's funny. I also feed the new cat pasta because she loves the poo poo out of pasta and she's so cute when she eats it.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I don't ever brush my long haired or medium haired cats. EVER. I got my guys a furminator and everything, but they just try to eat the metal brush part. :saddowns: Last time the long haired one was in for his yearly vacs, the vet said she was impressed with how well groomed I kept him, and I just said thanks. I know I should brush them because hairballs (:catstare:), but it just seems like too much of a hassle to get them used to their brush between their daily meds, managing their chronic conditions, and grad school. :smith:

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

notsowelp posted:

I was angrier at Mouse than I have ever been at the weekend. I had heated up some soup and put the container on the counter, went out of the room for a couple of minutes and when I came back she had pulled it down onto the floor and splattered carrot and sweet potato goop EVERYWHERE. The kitchen is carpeted too oh god :negative:. Anyway I managed not to totally lose my temper, but I was very disappointed with her conduct and sent her out of the room while I cleaned up. She kept poking a Sad Mouse Face around the door, and I kept telling her to go away you are a bad dog :mad:. We made up afterwards but jeez Mouse did it have to be *orange* soup...

What sort of monster would carpet a kitchen?

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

My 2 cats share one litterbox.

My rats eat lab blocks and leftovers.

I let my cats drink milk sometimes.

Sometimes, I take a strip off the pet hair lint roller thing and stick it to a cat. Results are predictable.

also my rat Sprocket loves to :420:

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I don't walk my dogs when it rains because they refuse to leave the house. We live in southern California and it only rains 2-3 months out of the year, which freaks them the gently caress out. My cattledog mix will avoid peeing for 36 hours straight because there is WATER FALLING FROM THE SKY OH MY GOD WILL YOU PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS?!?!? So I let them hibernate until it stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I've not really been working on Sitka's guarding behaviour of me against men she doesn't know. Because honestly what she does is 1) kinda funny, 2) makes me feel safer about running with her at 5am when there are no damned lights on the bike path.

I am a terrible person because I think its hysterical when she body checks boy runners that get to close to me into trees. Serves them right anyway. She's on a short leash. If you are close enough that she can body check you then you are too damned close. :catstare:

• Locked thread