Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Does Shay belong in this thread?

:nws: http://shiroioji.livejournal.com/114944.html#cutid2 :nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Benne posted:

Out of all the stuff in these pictures, the pissbottles are what really get to me. How loving hard is it to walk to the bathroom for 30 seconds?

Mental illness is a huge one right here. It's either OCD causing a fear of "dirty" bathrooms meaning they piss in bottles and dump them into the sink (the infamous Malodrax comes to mind) or major depression which means they do not have the motivation to do simple things like basic cleanliness or hygiene which comes natural to mentally healthy people. Then you factor in how people online find morbid interest in these people (like us in this thread) and suddenly they have attention they cannot get in real-life meaning they gladly flaunt their squalor unaware that we are not staring in amazement but rather fixed horror.

You watch Hoarders and it's clear many of the people featured have some form of a depressive disorder be it Major Depressive Disorder or the depressive swing of Bipolar Disorder simply from their cadence and body language.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

WebDog posted:

I'd forgotten all of the standing water just inches above power outlets. Also Bunkmonkey apparently killed himself.

Oh, did he? I saw someone in FYAD saying the same thing and I just assumed that they were joking. Well, he was going to die of some respiratory tract disease anyway!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Jesus Christ, those photos make me feel physically sick.

How does that even happen? You can't turn your house into that just by being messy or lazy. You have to actively put in an effort to smear disgusting poo poo onto places I didn't even know you could smear poo poo on.

NorskHotDog
Oct 23, 2010

CorruptGuardian posted:

http://youtu.be/aTXP_m8DuMg

Okay--this might just take the cake for most disgusting home ever. This landlord goes through this woman's house and it's just filled with trash. And then he gets to the bathroom... :barf:

:stonk: :barf:
Ugh, I wondered why I kept reading this thread and now I feel nasty just from watching that. I think I will go toilet brush the toilet now.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I keep hearing this reiterated: "I don't even know how a person gets to the point where..."

I grew up in a crazy hoarder house (although, thank god, the poo poo monuments were kept to a bare minimum), and I have my own interpretation of the process that you are free to ignore or enjoy.

There's a cascade of learned responses that become automatic. Anxiety, depression, denial, or addiction may contribute to the initial incident: for instance, the oven is broken, and an obstacle prevents you from fixing it immediately, so you eat microwave foods until microwaved foods seem normal and the oven is just a thing in the kitchen you never use. Then there's anxiety about getting the oven taken care of, and that anxiety inspires you to use the oven for something else... stashing dirty dishes, because anxiety about the oven has kept you out of the kitchen lest you be reminded, and now the sink is full of dirty dishes.

Once this pattern is established (loss of use, compensation for loss of use, anxiety, compulsive behavior to redirect anxiety, a new pattern of behavior that eventually causes another loss of use), even the tiniest things can set off a hoarding incident. A mound of trash stands between you and the garbage can, but you have an empty pizza box in your hand; a normal person would, at the very least, climb the garbage mountain to dispose of the pizza box, but your brain has been carefully trained to follow that anxiety pathway, and now with a yawn it skips all the intermediary steps and tells you that this pizza box is not garbage, it goes in the Pizza Box Place, and once you have put it in the stack in the hallway where all the other pizza boxes are, the anxiety will be diminished and order will be restored.

This is why, in so many hoarder houses, you'll see careful divisions of garbage, stacks of liquor bottles in one place and stacks of pop cans in another. Everything has its place.

Then one day your toilet is clogged up, and you stand there with a wad of toilet paper in your hand, and your brain says: This toilet paper is not garbage, it goes in the Toilet Paper Place, and once you have put it in the stack on the bathroom floor where toilet paper will go from now on...

The thought of fixing your toilet doesn't even occur to you. You poo poo in a trash can because that's where poo poo goes so you don't have to think about fixing the toilet and thereby undergo exponential anxiety; piss is harder to contain, but you have all these bottles, and as long as you put them in the Piss Bottle Place...

Anyway I have nothing to say about all the anime figurines. That poo poo is wack.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

Here have another angle:

Are you sure this dude is a slob and isn't just living in horrible abject poverty? It doesn't really look like he is contributing to the terribleness of his living space, it's just really really terrible to begin with and he can't really do much about it without a big wad of cash. Like, nothing there even looks remotely expensive, so you can't even say he's got misplaced priorities or something.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Whatev posted:

Are you sure this dude is a slob and isn't just living in horrible abject poverty? It doesn't really look like he is contributing to the terribleness of his living space, it's just really really terrible to begin with and he can't really do much about it without a big wad of cash. Like, nothing there even looks remotely expensive, so you can't even say he's got misplaced priorities or something.

I'd agree, if there wasn't a VERY thick layer of dust all over everything.

I know what you mean, though. I'm a really, really clean person. I don't leave dishes in the sink for longer than an hour, or even a few minutes, and I periodically clean my entire house, moving furniture around and everything. I'm also one of those people that's really sensitive to mold- I cannot live in a house with black mold that's prevalent, or I get pneumonia, bronchitis, etc...

But I once lived in a house that was IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean. The floor was just the wood that was leftover after the landlord ripped up the carpet. They didn't seal it at all, so mold seeped out between the floorboards. The whole house had this... rising mold smell. You couldn't get rid of it, you couldn't keep ahead of it. All of your clothes, all of your books, everything smelled like mold. I've had to freeze things, wash them in vinegar and baking soda... and I've still lost a lot of things to that house.

But it was such a nightmare because I'M CLEAN and really social and was totally embarrassed to have anyone over to our house, even though I was vacuuming every day, and periodically did all the dishes my roommates made because I couldn't stand them sitting in the sink for more than an hour. When a house is already a piece of poo poo, it is REALLY hard to make it look clean, and any amount of mess makes it look 100X worse.

God, leaving that place was the best thing ever.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Haymaker_Betty posted:

I'd agree, if there wasn't a VERY thick layer of dust all over everything.

I know what you mean, though. I'm a really, really clean person. I don't leave dishes in the sink for longer than an hour, or even a few minutes, and I periodically clean my entire house, moving furniture around and everything. I'm also one of those people that's really sensitive to mold- I cannot live in a house with black mold that's prevalent, or I get pneumonia, bronchitis, etc...

But I once lived in a house that was IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean. The floor was just the wood that was leftover after the landlord ripped up the carpet. They didn't seal it at all, so mold seeped out between the floorboards. The whole house had this... rising mold smell. You couldn't get rid of it, you couldn't keep ahead of it. All of your clothes, all of your books, everything smelled like mold. I've had to freeze things, wash them in vinegar and baking soda... and I've still lost a lot of things to that house.

But it was such a nightmare because I'M CLEAN and really social and was totally embarrassed to have anyone over to our house, even though I was vacuuming every day, and periodically did all the dishes my roommates made because I couldn't stand them sitting in the sink for more than an hour. When a house is already a piece of poo poo, it is REALLY hard to make it look clean, and any amount of mess makes it look 100X worse.

God, leaving that place was the best thing ever.

It doesn't really look especially dusty. That floppy in the foreground is just that stupid beige color all computer stuff used to be. Least he has got sheets and garbage bags and no food stuff laying around.

Speaking of mold, here's a pic from some huge fuckin idiot goon who wanted advice on how to heat his basement pool/kill his idiot friends and self more expediently

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
/\/\/\
You're missing all the wonderful shots of the exposed wiring directly above the pool.

My favourite post from a month later:

quote:

My toilet wouldn't flush properly just now, as I am about to leave the house for my morning class. So I open the tank, and what do I find? A loving 20 oz Dr. Pepper bottle of urine in my toilet tank! WILL IT EVER END???? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Whatev posted:

Speaking of mold, here's a pic from some huge fuckin idiot goon who wanted advice on how to heat his basement pool/kill his idiot friends and self more expediently

So many hazards.

First there is the mold, then the concrete floor the can slip and hurt themselves on, the Christmas lights haphazardly strewn across the room, the light over the room and can possibly electrocute everyone in the pool, the chandelier that looks like its is going to fall any second and very easy to hit one's head on, the beams that one can hit their head against, and surely there are other household things that would spell certain death for those Goons.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LateToTheParty posted:

and surely there are other household things that would spell certain death for those Goons.
Like the front door, for instance.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

That's why I don't like shows like Hoarders, etc. It's clear these people are suffering from severe mental issues. The last thing they need is to be showcased like animals and laughed at.

But I have been keeping up with this thread, so I can't really take a moral high-ground.

Thanks for this insight, though. It's (morbidly) interesting to try to understand how this kinda thing happens.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Whatev posted:

There appears to be a small pile of garbage in the foreground, barely in the frame. That being said, I think you're right in that this is much more just someone who's broke and living in a lovely place than a disgusting goon. I mean, there aren't even any anime figures.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Benne posted:

Out of all the stuff in these pictures, the pissbottles are what really get to me. How loving hard is it to walk to the bathroom for 30 seconds?

I don't know, you should ask this guy

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

cowboythreespeech posted:

That's why I don't like shows like Hoarders, etc. It's clear these people are suffering from severe mental issues. The last thing they need is to be showcased like animals and laughed at.

My parents are hoarders, and at times there is nothing I'd like more than to see them publicly ridiculed because of all the poo poo they've put me through (often literally), but you're right. It's like going to an addict's house and throwing out all their supply and saying they're cured; it does absolutely nothing. Sure, their home is clean for a few days, but there are a lot of underlying issues and usually other compulsive behaviors that need to be dealt with.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah, the saddest part is when the hoarders have kids, a la that goon that was mentioned earlier. Thankfully he cleaned up his act and got his kid back. :)

I'd be interested in reading more stories about living with/being raised by/being a hoarder. Is this an appropriate thread for that kinda thing?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Citizen Z posted:

There appears to be a small pile of garbage in the foreground, barely in the frame. That being said, I think you're right in that this is much more just someone who's broke and living in a lovely place than a disgusting goon. I mean, there aren't even any anime figures.

Which to a point makes sense. Its not like this person is going to be very proud of their situation, so a general untidiness and a lack of frequent cleaning are not illogical.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

What is with the framed duckling/bunny?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

cowboythreespeech posted:

Yeah, the saddest part is when the hoarders have kids, a la that goon that was mentioned earlier. Thankfully he cleaned up his act and got his kid back. :)

I'd be interested in reading more stories about living with/being raised by/being a hoarder. Is this an appropriate thread for that kinda thing?

Maybe a bunch of us could get together and do an ask/tell? I'd start one myself, but I have a hard time being objective about it all.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Fried Chicken posted:

What is with the framed duckling/bunny?

It's obviously super awesome.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

The Aphasian posted:

I think it's just the vapor barrier over the dirt. He may have tried to shape it into rudimentary furniture, like the saddest sand sculpture.

Yeah, that's a vapor barrier, it's there to keep ground moisture from rising into the house. The stuff under it is probably just dirt, sometimes in crawlspaces they just carve out the spots that need to be carved out and leave the rest. Either that or he was actually trying to make headroom by digging out extra dirt.

I know far too much about crawlspaces, ask me about rat poop showers and almost dying in one. or don't because that would be a derail

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

AuntBuck posted:

Maybe a bunch of us could get together and do an ask/tell? I'd start one myself, but I have a hard time being objective about it all.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520508

:)

No need to be objective, I think. Hope y'all enjoy it!

edit: anything you'd like me to add (or subtract?) from the OP, please PM me! ...Or just post it in that thread.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

Mental illness is a hell of a drug.

Ok at first I thought I had seen this before...technically I guess I have, but rather taken at a later, filthier time:

And here's a close-up of that trashcan :barf:

Here have another angle:

What's really amazing about a number of these photos (especially the ones above), is that they seem to have been taken for the purpose of showing off, I guess. Yeesh.

And while I'm at it, here's a gallery with additional pics of Bunkmonkey's hovel, enjoy??

I love how he spent all that money on computers but lives in a loving crawlspace.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

platedlizard posted:

I love how he spent all that money on computers but lives in a loving crawlspace.

It looks like the warden's office in a Guatemalan POW camp.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

platedlizard posted:

If you're talking about Bungmonkey, I'd bet all of those were from dumpster diving.

Here have some more hovels and nerd poverty:

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
Is that a suit jacket hanging in the 6th picture? At least the guy has aspirations.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

When I think of Anonymous/Lulzsec, I picture the last photo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My grandmother (on my dad's side) and one of my uncles on that side are/were hoarders. My dad has tendencies toward that sort of thing as well, but keeps it in check... people generally think I do also, but it's mostly a result of living in one room of my house while I gut and remodel the rest of it, working alone. I've brought dozens of truckloads of demolition/remodeling debris to the dump over the last few months due to this, it's hard, slow work.

That last photo is what I picture when I think of reddit (plus what cowboythreespeech listed.) Also, I wonder if one of the other hovel residents in that photo collection realizes those pipes are insulated with asbestos and he's living and sleeping right next to it and apparently disturbing it by climbing over it every time he leaves his nest. Hello, mesothelioma, my old friend...

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I can't see this picture anymore without my eyes immediately going to the floor.

Forti
May 5, 2009

Heath posted:

The most unsettling thing about these photos is that there's always a very clear epicenter of poo poo, a spot the owner occupies/occupied, like the eye of a filthy hurricane.

And you know they all think of it secretly as where the magic happens

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

fork bomb posted:

I can't see this picture anymore without my eyes immediately going to the floor.

Oh god DAMMIT.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

fork bomb posted:

He just spilled a drink on the floor, right guys? Right? :ohdear:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Oh god DAMMIT.

What am I looking at?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

That DICK! posted:

What am I looking at?

Think about why he might like having privacy in his computer lair, and what would drip on the floor from a sitting position, under the keyboard.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Think about why he might like having privacy in his computer lair personal masturbatorium, and what would drip on the floor from a sitting position, under the keyboard.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

fork bomb posted:

You know, I was kinda thinking that this was a slightly cool thing. Sorta like a sensory deprivation chamber, but with a gaming computer. Then you had to go and point that out.

Goddamnit.:negative:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

That DICK! posted:

What am I looking at?

What leaks out of your username?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My innocent mind thought it was sweat stains because the first thing that came to mind was "jesus it must get really hot and gross in there after 10 minutes with the door closed." Then I thought about it for a second and yeah that's totally jizz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
that fapcave :stonk:

• Locked thread