Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

drat. I need to get off my rear end and finish that test. I've read through just the first couple pages of that book that was posted. Is it pretty much just memorizing all of their vocab and acronyms?

I took my ITIL v3 Foundation a few years ago and thats basically it. Easiest cert I've ever passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Has anyone passed the 70-243 SCCM certification? How much Intune crap do you need to know? I built my company's SCCM infrastructure so I feel comfortable taking a blind leap into the test except we don't use Intune and can't really think of a way to lab it.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Garrand posted:

So for those people who were purely self study, did you form any special habits or anything to help you get through?

I've been a lazy (depressed) rear end in a top hat for the better part of a year now, but I really want to get my MCSA as right now I'm just some schlub comcast tech support. I've always struggled to teach myself anything from scratch; I've always worked much better in a structured environment like a classroom, or an environment with hands on learning, but that's not really an option so I'm trying to figure out the best ways to light a fire under my rear end.

If you really want to put a fire under your rear end, register and pay for the 70-410 test right now for a month in the future. That's your deadline. It'll prepare you for your future career as a system admin.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Garrand posted:

I was actually aiming for 70-680 and 70-685 first, as it seemed more up my alley (Windows 7 and Desktop support) since I don't have any professional experience whatsoever. I'm...uh not making a mistake, am I? It has more to do with personal preference, right? I wouldn't just be throwing hundreds of dollars down the drain? As someone still on the outside it's kind of difficult to figure out what will best land me a decent job with learning opportunities. Also not sure what certs will be considered outdated sooner than others.

No mistakes. Usually when I talk to people about MS certs they're going for either MCSA or MCSE. Go with what you're comfortable with and feel like you have a grasp on. To be honest, back in the XP/2003 days I found the server tests much much easier then the XP tests. I haven't taken an OS cert since then so I don't know if that's still the case.

mattfl posted:

I'm sitting in a 70-410 class this week, because hey free training from work why not!? Holy christ, New Horizons is such a joke of a training center. There are people in this class who have never done ANYTHING in IT before. I'm talking, one guy had to ask the instructor how to move his IE window from one monitor to another!! There are 10 people in this class, 3 of us have actual IT jobs, the rest are either ex military and new horizons is sucking all that sweet sweet GI Bill money from them and the others are currently out of working looking for a new career. 2 of the ex military people have already failed the A+ exam and are on full MSCE tracks and basically taking 410-411-412-413 week after week. I've wound up helping the instructor on most of the modules otherwise we'd have never gotten past module one because no one has a freaking clue. How can people/new horizons honestly think this is a good class for someone with no IT experience. I've gotten almost nothing out of this class except a free test Cert and will be studying for the test on my own as this class will not prepare anyone for the test.

This is pretty much why my company stopped booking classes with Global Knowledge. We sent several people to Exchange "Boot camps" (they stopped doing cert tests at the end) and Adv AD management classes and ended up with rooms full of people that didn't know how to reset a password. We switched to Learning Tree which is a little better but still not perfect.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Just passed my 70-410 today. After I finish my school projects I'm going for my 411 and 412. I'm hoping to be MCSA by the end of the year.

It's been a while since I've taken one of these certs but I was asked to turn my pockets out and show I didn't have anything in them and lift my sleeves. They asked me to remove my watch too. Is this the standard now?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Contingency posted:

Is this Pearson or Prometric? Haven't been asked to lift sleeves, but watch and pockets has been the standard at Pearson for a few years now.

Yeah it was my first time taking one with Pearson. Last time I took a cert test was Prometric. They asked to hold on to my phone and that was it. I guess next time I'll leave everything in the car.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I've read the books don't cover enough material to pass the test. There are some threads over at TechExams.net that go over the tests pretty well and people post feedback and results there.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/88247-70-410-resources.html

The problem is some of the questions from 70-411 is in the 70-410 exam. There were questions about HyperV, WDS and even VPN that either weren't in the material or I missed. I'm working on 70-411 now and I'm skimming some of 70-412 just to be safe.

edit - Found another example. I'm reading on DC Cloning in 70-411 but I had at least one question on the 70-410 exam.

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 4, 2014

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

univbee posted:

Thanks for this. This exam has been kicking my rear end (failed it twice with 620ish) so hopefully this will let me laser focus.

The books are very inadequate, most of the exam questions are "you are working on a server core installation and have to do everything in Powershell because of course you do." And, of course, having to learn The Microsoft WayTM of doing things because in the exam universe, third-party vendors don't exist.

Microsoft want you to come out of training full of ideas hoping that you'll go to your boss and tell them about all the wonderful integrated services WINDOWS SERVER 2012R2 STANDARD AND DATACENTER can offer your business.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I'm more than a little upset over how MCSE: Communication and Messaging (Lync and Exchange) require Office 365 exams now.

Its only an "alternate path" to an MCSA. If you go to Microsoft's cert site they still allow 70-410 - 70-412 as a way to get an MCSE in Communication or Messaging under "Additional Options". They're really pushing it because O365 is pretty much standard for any EA now.

Also, never do a standalone O365 Lync deployment unless you hate controlling policies. You only have access to about 10 Powershell commands and 9 of them are "Get-".

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

MJP posted:

I came out of helpdesk/desktop support into sysadmin by getting my MCSAs. I had zero networking experience and very moderate networking knowledge - basic ping/traceroute, making cables, knowing a little bit about different physical network layouts.

The craziest stupidest worst part about the MCSAs is that they test Windows as a switch/router/gateway using Windows' native capabilities to do so, at least as of the first one I took for 2k3. The subsequent MCSA upgrade exams to 2k8 and 2k12 didn't touch on much other than IPv6 implementation in 2k8 and 2k12, more on iSCSI, etc. The other Windows Server networking concepts are mostly DNS, DHCP, etc.

Sybex books cover everything for those. Home labbing it up is very much encouraged - you're gonna learn a lot. But you 100% do not need a CCNA to take the MCSA/MCSE course track. You can be successful as a sysadmin without a CCNA. You'd get more more feet in more doors with one, but Sybex prep stuff covers basic networking concepts well enough to talk to a networking team or engineer and understand what they're saying. It won't teach you how to configure a Cisco switch or router under any circumstances, and you'll be shaking your head at the unironic requirement that Microsoft has for Windows servers as switches, but you'll get what you need from the prep material. I can't speak to CBT Nuggets since I did all my prep work from books - I just learn better that way, everyone is different - but prepping for the exams comprising an MCSA is a lot to learn.

From what I've seen and heard, the 2k12 MCSE is nothing more than a vamped-up course in Hyper-V with no application outside of pure Hyper-V companies. If you want a real one-two punch to lever you out of support and into sysadmin, get the 2k8 MCSA (three exams) and upgrade to 2k12 (one exam). You really do learn a lot, and if you want to take your time prepping for exams, four exams in one year is probably very reasonable.

If you go for a Server 2012 R2 MCSE, then yeah its "HYPERVHYPERVHYPERV!!!!!!!" but thankfully after you make it past the MCSA you can start going into specialized MCSE's. I'm personally aiming for the Desktop Infrastructure certs but they have a track for just about every service you may be interested in. I'm also pretty happy they gave alternatives to the 70-412 since its mostly about MS's solutions to backup, failover and Hyper-V storage management. You're more likely to deal with O365 management then Hyper-V.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

m.hache posted:

Anyone use pluralsight for exam prep?

I've been checking out a few vids from the 74-410 exam I'm retaking and their videos seem very short and lack a lot of details that I know the exam asked for. Prior to this I had the CBT Nugget subscription and I found that while the information was very useful a lot of it didn't apply to the exam questions that came up.

I guess I'm just trying to find some other resources to fill in the gaps that I was missing the first time around on my exam

(My lowest scores were the "Install and Configure Servers" and "Install and Administrator Active Directory").

The problem with any video series is they're not going to give you everything you need to pass an exam. They hit the highlights and you're supposed to fill in the gaps through practice on your own in a lab environment.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

m.hache posted:

I guess I need exercises then. I have a lab environment set up and I feel fairly comfortable with it (I've been working with these systems for a while now in production) but for some reason the hypothetical questions they posed on the exam just seemed overly complicated.

Also, manual routing tables apparently was a thing that I should have been aware of but have yet to run into in any training material.

Routing tables and how to troubleshoot/manage Hyper-V NICs using PowerShell was what threw me off when I took it. Luckily PS is pretty easy to guess if you've worked with it before.

Have you set up a Server Core with ADDS/DNS/DHCP yet? It sucks but it forces you to learn most if not all the PS commands they expect you to know.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

m.hache posted:

Failed the 410 again. The tests are ridiculous.

about 30% of it was Hyper-V questions, and all the problem areas that it told me to study last time didn't even show up. Not a single File Permission question to be found where the last exam was inundated with them.

I can't afford to take the test again currently and honestly I don't know if I want to. I don't have the resources to effectively study for the thing and work isn't paying for any of this.

Maybe I'll try to find another cert I can hammer out in the meantime so I can land into a better company and take it from there.

Has anyone here passed the 74-410 2012 R2 yet? And if so, are you administering the thing Daily as part of your job?

I passed the 410 a few months ago. I've been doing some form of MS server management for about 5 years now. I'd say about 50% of the questions and study material was applicable to my day to day job. The biggest problem with studying for the 410 is that it covers such a wide amount of server stuff at a high level, so you can study your rear end off on your weakest subject and never end up getting asked about it. When I took mine it was all Hyper-V and file sharing and only 1 Group Policy question which is where I'm my strongest.

My one testing horror story was back when I took my XP certification for the first time and had 10 questions in a row about fax settings followed by 3 questions about setting up wireless IR printers. I failed that one pretty drat hard.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

m.hache posted:

It reminds me of those teachers that had me do programming exams on paper and wanted us to write out code by hand. What's the point of doing that? I feel that the exams would be much more forgiving if you had access to a powershell window.

My intro to programming class was like that. They had us write out pseudo code to make sure we understood the logical layout and concepts of coding. It felt annoying at first but I understand why they have you do it. Also get used to not having full access to a shell when testing. I don't know if they still do this but the Cisco tests I've taken (and failed) disable help and tab completion.

If I remember correctly there were a few questions on the 410 that ask for the best way to complete a task where the correct answer was still a CMD command and not Powershell.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Eonwe posted:

wow

you got literally a completely different test than I did I guess

The 410 has a pool of around 400 questions and they pick 40 of them at random. I didn't get any FSMO, OU or trust questions either. The User Creation question I got was the one I was thinking of where they want the CMD instead of Powershell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Beefstorm posted:

The OP didn't have too much on MCSA certification. Is there any reason not to pursue them?

I was really interested in getting MCSA Windows Server 2012. https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsa-windows-server-certification.aspx It seems like it would give me a good understanding of active directory and the roles that Wiondows Server can provide. Also, hopefully powershell but that isn't a NEED. Just would be nice to get some experience in it since it seems like Microsoft wants to move to it.

MCSA is a great path to go down. Still working on mine. You'll end up using about 20% of what you've learned in the real world but its a really important 20%. The other 80% is basically marketing to get you to run a 100% Windows shop ("Please user Hyper-V instead of VMware. Pretty please").

Good luck making a lab for most of the stuff covered in 70-411.