Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The a+ book I'm reading says there are written essay questions. How does that work in the context of the test, I thought it was multiple choice scantron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
That's strange, the end of each chapter says there will be performance based questions so I guess I read that as "show your work". This is the sybex book. How in depth are the test questions?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I'm not asking for answers or a braindump, I just want to know if the A+ test is multiple choice or "choose as many as are correct" like the practice exams I've been doing. I'm using the CompTIA Complete Study Guide and their sample questions are kind of ridiculously in depth.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Race Realists posted:

i am looking at both professor messer youtube videos and james conrads A+ cbt nuggets, and i STILL cant retain enough knowledge to say with any confidence ill pass the 801 and 802

i am literally dumber than poo poo :v:

does anyone even retain all of this once they pass both exams?

if so, can i borrow your brain?

I feel like half the stuff they want you to study is material I will never see again in my life (RIMM? Daisy wheel printers? Come on man). I'm looking forward to finishing it and moving on to a more interesting cert as soon as possible!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I've got a 10% off discount for the CompTIA A+ exam through Pearson, but I noticed there are a lot of sites out there selling discounted vouchers as well. Are any of them legit? Where should I look to get the best discount?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Is network+ pointless if I plan on getting a ccna?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
What info do nuggets provide that the course books don't?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Can anyone recommend a good CCNA video series to complement the book? I just hit VLSM material and I don't think the Youtube INETraining series is really helping compared to what I'm learning in Lammle's book.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
How much of it was ios commands and configs?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Question for those who have recently taken the icnd1 and used lammles book: how much of the icnd2 portion should I be studying? Nothing in the first half has tripped me up but I don't want to run into too many gotchyas on the exam for material he seperated into the later section.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
That's a self confidence issue brother. :smith:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Vadun posted:

Need some advice on worthwhile Storage/Datacenter certs

I have a CCNA in route/switch already and I really enjoy the networking side of things, but I have some really powerful contacts within the Storage side of IT that could easily double or triple my current salary if I got the bare minimums down.

Is SGO-001 CompTIA Storage+ Power by SNIA exam the way to go, or are there there more relevant vendor neutral things to be focusing on?

The people I work with have emc and Cisco storage certs across the board, seems like the way to go.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Race Realists posted:

I've decided to wait till I get my Bachelors to take the A/Network+ exams, considering BOTH of them are about to expire soon.

also Cybrary is the best thing i want everyone to know about

On the other hand you can get the a+ now for all your sweet vista installation needs.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Just passed icnd1 with 854 score needed 804. Thank you for the advice and encouragement I've been given in this thread!

The power went out halfway through the exam which threw me off a bit but there was nothing I wasn't prepared for on the exam.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Anyone have a recommended ccna security book?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Passed icnd2! 841 needed 825. Way harder than the first test, felt like I was failing the whole time.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know this is a weird question, but how long does it take on average to study for a CCENT? My experience so far is the A+ and what little I've picked up from being a field tech. I know what DNS is, I know what DHCP is, I know MACs, FQDNs, and Hostnames. I really need to find a job where I get days off every week, and with how scarce junior level jobs are here, I feel like a cert might help me stand out. I just want to know how long it will take when, on average, I have less than 10 hours a week to study.

I would estimate I studied 100-150 hours for the ccna and still felt overwhelmed at the massive amount of info I had to memorize.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
How tough is the emc 10-001?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Make sure you can explain terminology inside and out because a lot of the questions are focused on that. Every test is different but you really need to know everything. Lammle's book was great make sure you can do all the exercises and ace the end of chapter quizzes in your sleep.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I may have had two ipv6 questions. There was a lot of stuff I expected to see more if but didn't.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

crunk dork posted:

I'll second Lammle. Even though I'm only two chapters in, I find myself actually paying attention to and comprehending what is being said. I tried reading the Odom book and it was incredibly hard to understand what I was supposed to be learning. Also the end of chapter reviews and quiz things are great.

Odom has some sample chapters somewhere in the depths of Cisco's website if you want to look for them and see his style. I thought lammle was great and his book had everything you needed to know and presented it very well.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I don't remember if acls were on the first test but they were hard for me to understand. Study subnetting until your eyes bleed.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

MrBigglesworth posted:

Cisco ICND2 scheduled for this Thursday...

You can do it. Know your spanning tree!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

MrBigglesworth posted:

PASSED ICND2!

And I hosed UP.

I get nervous on testing, so when the first sim came up, as we know they usually have 4 questions, I answered the first one and hit next, leaving the next 3 completely blank. I hate the test UI and what looks to be 800x600 resolution.

But got out a 973 so the sim must not have been weighted too badly!

Goongrats when I took it my mind almost totally blanked on show run, the most basic command in the book. Its amazing what stress can do.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Deep Winter posted:

I am now a+ certified! The 802 felt harder but I ended up doing better on it. I had put off doing my test for a few years because a) $400 is a lot of money when you live paycheck to paycheck and b) the nearest testing center is 300 miles away round trip. But I was offered a position that pays more than what me and my wife are making currently combined if I get the cert (plus a security clearance). I think next I'll look towards the security and network+.

300 miles? Are you in Antarctica?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Anyone do ccna voice recently? Been reading it and it looks deceptively easy which is kind of worrisome.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

crunk dork posted:

Taking ICND1 in 10 days, been studying for about 2-2.5 months and I still feel like I don't know the material well enough....

Read the first half of Lammle's book, set up some labs in GNS3, used the Pearson Vue NetSim, even bought a 2600 and Catalyst 2950 to get some hands on with the physical gear. Been using Transcender and doing pretty well with practice exams. It's like there is so much material by the time I finished it I was forgetting the stuff I learned at the beginning... :(

There is a ton to remember but chances are if you've done all you said you should be prepared.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Cisco has a service provider track you might want to look at.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

MrBigglesworth posted:

Anyone have CCNA Data Center? Im studying the first book, 640-911 now from Odom, a lot of severe and extreme overlap with CCNA.

Most Ive learned that wasnt about CCNA is Nexus Switches, which we work with in the office. Very similar to IOS, however, you can do network statements with a CIDR notation of /24 if you choose over 255.255.255.0 so to speak so it speeds things up a bit.

Also learned of the "where" command, big woop, and few minor things about VRF and that they have an mgmt interface. Also when dealing with Nexus the interfaces are just ethernet, no specification of the inteface like regular switches of fa0/1 or gi1/0/25 or whatever.

Other than that, feels very deja vuish.

I actually won Odom books as a door prize at an event recently but haven't had time to read them. Let me know how similar the test is to icnd when you take it since you think the material I'd similar.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Alright my new company wants me to head down the ccnp collaboration path. Am I blind or are there no official books for collaboration OR video available????

I know voice and video are being retired but why is there no video book at all, the path has been out for Years.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Also you won't learn it. Anyone can memorize answers but if you don't know it it'll show.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Awesome man you earned it !

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Get the ccna and forget about the comptia stuff.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
There are 15000 ccies worldwide and plenty of companies require at least one on staff for Cisco partner levels. Hugely important.

Plus at least in my area they are hard to come by and demand a huge premium.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm currently going for my CCENT, but a lot of these concepts are going completely over my head for some reason. Maybe I should step it down to Network+ so I can get a good baseline knowledge of networking?

Just keep at it, there us a ton of info but you'll eventually figure it out.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ccna holders: how hard is the test itself, really, on a scale of 1 to 10

I passed after about two months of heavy study and thought it was very hard.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Man you must be Einstein because there is a shitload of very specific information on the CCNA that you have to know to have any hope of passing. IF you can pass it casually studying in a week please take your CCIE right now.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Can anyone recommend training for ccna video?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've used both CBTNuggets and Chris Bryant. I prefer the super hyper CBTNuggets host that gets loving PUMPED by Wireshark to Chris Bryant. Either one is fine and will cover the necessary material. Chris takes the approach of much smaller videos of 10-15 minutes while the CBT videos are usually 45-60 minutes.

To be clear I am asking about the video track, not videos for the ccna. This is for video which is being retired and rolled into collab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Race Realists posted:

Anybody here ever took the CCNA Collaboration exam? I WAS going to study for CCNA Voice but that certs getting the axe in a few months

You can still do voice, I'm taking it in a few weeks.