Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm totally ignorant when it comes to *nix, but I think I'll need to get the RHCSA at some point to keep my career moving.

Can anyone recommend one or two books that will take me from zero to RHCSA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

I'm studying for my Windows 2012 MCSA - one of them I've come across is DHCP and how it may be a security risk and assigning addresses statically is more secure.

My question, does anyone actually do this? I know it's a best-practice or literally required to assign static IPs to servers but for other endpoints? That's just a managerial nightmare, I can't imagine any big company or even governmental organizations implementing this... I don't see how it could be that big of a risk either, it's not like someone can't just assign an IP to rouge device either...

Maybe there's better ways to do it, but I'm guessing that for your ultra-secure network of servers that would literally destroy the company if they were compromised, use Static IPs. For the branch office in Wyoming, DHCP should be ok. For stuff in between... I'm not sure.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Foundations doesn't even seem complicated enough for 5 days - especially when you look at the flip side and see entire teams going to a 5 day VMware VCP course.

I wonder what the success rate is for the 5 day VCP course?

Anecdotally, I know of a company that sent a team to the VCP class and only one guy ended up passing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Trax416 posted:

If I pick up A+ and N+ certs would I qualify for a lovely, minimum wage help desk/support type job with no experience in the field and no schooling?

Then I would probably go to college (in Canada, so like American community college), while working and go for the other certs (CCNA and so forth).

It isn't a guarantee, but it'll be an advantage over anyone without the cert.

I recommend it just to make sure you're a good fit for IT, if you can get those two certs on your own, you already have a lot of attributes needed to succeed.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Docjowles posted:

Double bonus points for using Amazon AWS' free tier as your "lab" so you can get ~cloud~ on your resume, too.

Is this a reasonable path? I might have to get in on this. Any pointers on how to get started?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm working on MCSA server 2012. I'm using the book by William Panel and I'm trying to follow the steps using a lab.

I want to start taking tests, anyone have recent experience on the 70-410?

Does it follow the exam blueprint or is it heavily weighted towards Hyper-v?

I'm probably just being anxious.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Bombed the exam - 256 out of 500. Need 300 to pass.

Did better than me on my first attempt. You'll definitely pass on attempt #2

I don't think there's a huge question pool so try to remember the questions you had difficulty with and study them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was ridiculously late to an exam today.

Appointment Time: 13:00:00
Appointment Duration (HH:MM): 2:30

Ok, test's at two thirty, I'll try to get there around 2, maybe a little early and I'll review my notes in my car.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Parlett316 posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the work days where my skull doesn't get bashed in.

edit:

Wow, that was easy, soooo anyone have any good study material for 70-410.

I just took 70-410 and it kicked my rear end. You really need to know how it works, I'm probably going to do fine on attempt #2 but drat, it was disappointing to see the test and realize I was screwed.

The good news is they do a score breakdown by each of the objectives so you know what to study.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

AlternateAccount posted:

Can you give some more info on your background and what tripped you up, mostly? I am wanting to take this relatively soon, and it doesn't SEEM too bad to me, but I worry I might be underrating it.

I'm helpdesk. I've been doing this for about a year.

I read the relevant chapters in the Panek book and watched all the Pluralsight videos for 70-410. I've got a lab at home and at work and have installed servers quite a few times.

Hyper-V is 20% of the test. I did awful on that.
I did poorly on IPv6
Know how to do everything via console commands in addition to through the gui. There are a LOT of powershell/console questions.

A lot of the time, especially in a lab environment you're going to be using one or two domain controllers that do everything. On the test they're going to want to know stuff like when you'd want to troubleshoot the schema master and stuff.

Another thing to note, I was a little stressed out during the test:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was ridiculously late to an exam today.

Appointment Time: 13:00:00
Appointment Duration (HH:MM): 2:30

Ok, test's at two thirty, I'll try to get there around 2, maybe a little early and I'll review my notes in my car.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GobiasIndustries posted:

Quick question about the A+ cert; am I understanding it correctly that, on top of renewing my certification, I have to pay yearly dues to CompTIA as well to keep it valid? Seems like dropping $300 every few years on the test would be enough..

I saw a job posting the other day that asked for an A+ certification and specifically noted that it's okay if your cert is lapsed or expired.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Well sir, one of the free books they're offering appears to be a giant Technet dump of all Server 2012 and R2 content. 8,709 pages. Just the sexiest thing you'll ever see, especially since the 2012 R2 exam books which have been released aren't exactly thorough and you need to go to Technet anyway - well boom, there you go, all the content in one downloadable PDF.

Wait... I recently took the first Server 2012 test and... well I didn't get the score I wanted. Are my books that I bought only a few months ago already out of date?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

It depends, what do they say on the front? Both the exams and textbooks were updated "recently" - But we'd need more info to find out whether yours were.

What version would it be from this:
Exam Details:
Program Name: Microsoft (070, 071, 074, MBx)
Exam Name/Description: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
Exam Number: 070410
Exam Language: U.S. ENGLISH

Test date 11 JUN 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

orange sky posted:

So, I studied for the 70 410 easily, through the official study guide, and I understood everything, or at least most of it and enough to pass.

Have you taken the 70-410 2012 R2 exam? I'm starting on this study guide: http://amzn.com/0735673160
Is that enough to pass?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
On the subject of Microsoft test books, if you're ordering from microsftpressstore.com make sure that you use one of these discount codes:

Save 40% off print books + FREE U.S. Shipping with discount code MPNMEMBER
Save 50% off eBooks with discount code MPNEBOOK

Full price is for suckers.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

thegrimace posted:

So I have been wanting to round out my skills and move up to an administrator role. As such I have decided to go after the following certifications, and was wondering if anyone has any others they would recommend getting, or if I should skip any of these.

Ccnet
Ccna
Mcsa
Rhcsa
Vca
Vcp

Thanks for any input.

VCA is still a new cert and I don't know how far it'll take you. If you're in a position to get your VCP, skip the VCA unless you can get a great deal on the test.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Radio Talmudist posted:

A very general question: do I need any serious proficiency with mathematics to be successful at Networking? I feel silly asking this, but math has always been my weakness.

You will need to do powers of 2 and subtracting from 256
For example, if you need to create a subnet for 95 computers in the smallest space possible, you'll need to know the smallest power of 2 that's larger than 95 (plus 2).

You are apparently in good company though because there are a ton of resources for practicing this.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I took the 70-410 today. I knew I'd been studying hard because when the proctor complained about how many passwords she had to remember, I immediately thought "Fine Grained Password Policies can be enabled on domains that have a functional level of 2008 or above."

I passed, but it was close.

Anyone have recent experience with the 411 or 412?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vintimus Prime posted:

No, but I have the 410 on my list for next year. How hard was it?

The questions were very detail oriented. Lots of questions asking you which powershell commandlet would be used.
Maybe it'd have been easier if I used 2012 at work but I'm having to base everything off my lab.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

berzerkmonkey posted:

The CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide Kindle version is $2.99 until Friday at midnight. Of course, I just bought the 301 version a week ago for $10. Sigh.

Thanks! I'm actually studying for that test right now so this is a big help!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

incoherent posted:

Heads up, new changes for MCSA in Server AND SQL 2012.

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/...-available.aspx

If I'm reading this right, you could get both certs with four tests instead of six.

Can I get some feedback from people who have gone down the SQL road, how useful would this be to someone who wants to focus on Sysadmin stuff and Virtualization? I know that databases are required for some of the VMware stuff but I'm not sure how much synergy is really there.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Cenodoxus posted:

Last night I decided I was going to finally take the Stanly CC VMware course, so I went to add myself to the waitlist aaaaaaaaaand...

gently caress.

Welp, there goes that idea.

My parents live in an eligible state. Is anything stopping me from using their address? Will I even get anything in the mail for this course?

Those states have very strict guidelines regarding spelling.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Drunk Orc posted:

If I plan on working in security eventually, and will receive my net+ and sec+ within the next three to four months or so, is it worth going for the a+ too? I ask because WGU covers all of the voucher costs with tuition, but I transferred in with about half of my program already done. A previous class I took at community college satisfied the need for the course at WGU that grants you the voucher for the a+. I'm trying to land something entry level in IT and haven't had any luck so far, will net+ and sec+ help me in that respect? Obviously a degree is way more valuable than a certification, but when it comes to landing a first job with no previous work experience in IT I'm not sure what is more valuable.

If it's free, might as well get the certification, it's probably a keyword that HR looks for on entry level positions. I don't think it'd be worth paying full price though unless you were seeing lots of positions that demanded an A+ in order to be considered.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TheDestructinator posted:

I failed my 70-411 exam yesterday, by quite a bit. This was my second MS Cert test, but my first at a Pearson test center. The exam seemed nothing like what was tested on by the Transcender practice test. I'm retaking again on Monday at a Prometric center, anybody have any tips?

Can I expect the Prometric test to be closer to what I saw on the practice exam?

Don't feel bad, I just got the poo poo kicked out of me on my 70-411 too. The 70-410 was pretty easy to practice all the concepts in a home lab but I'm not really sure how to practice making VPN tunnels and such in a home lab without taking a break to get a much better understanding of networking.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

skipdogg posted:

That's weird. I went to a CC in Maricopa County in Arizona, and my 2 year degree is actually an AAS in Microsoft Networking Technology, where I had training towards my 2003 MCSE. That was 10 years ago though...

Maricopa County still has outstanding IT classes. All the colleges are in a partnership which results in a HUGE amount of classes you can take. Two of the colleges teach an ESXi class (in person only).

The prices are great if you're in county. It's still worth looking at if you're not a resident, the prices might be competitive with local training options.

In related news, I passed my Security+ exam. The advice in this thread is accurate. Read the book, study the port chart, pass the test.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sacred Cow posted:

Also, never do a standalone O365 Lync deployment unless you hate controlling policies. You only have access to about 10 Powershell commands and 9 of them are "Get-".

The tenth is ForEach-Object

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm just more comfortable with Microsoft stuff, but I'm willing to expand my horizons. Thanks for the ideas. I know virtualization seems to be the future.

Desktop Virtualization isn't 100% there yet. Server virtualization is standard and any environment that isn't virtual should be looking at converting.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FISHMANPET posted:

Also when you say MCSE do you mean Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer which doesn't actually exist anymore?

I'm getting kind of tired of seeing jobs requiring "MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)."

I think the current equivalent is the MCSA.

It's now Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcse-server-infrastructure-certification.aspx

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FISHMANPET posted:

MCSE Means Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert now, but it doesn't directly translate to the Systems Engineer. If you look at the upgrade path from Systems Engineer, MSCA: Server is the best equivalent. Solutions Expert is a step above that that didn't really exist with Systems Engineer.

Does that mean that if I can finally get this MCSA (Solutions Associate), I'll be roughly on par with what used to be MCSE(Engineer)?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Related question: If I have Security+ can I just ignore A+ and Network+?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

skooma512 posted:

One of the questions could be getting an md5 hash. That's fine, but that feature doesn't come with Windows and you need to get a program for it. How you'll know what to run on the test will be hard unless that program happens to be in the directory you're in. :catstare:

Getting an md5 hash is always going to be the exact same process.

First, you're going to want to break up the data into blocks of 16 32-bit words, pad the data to be divisible by 512 if you need to.

Next, (you might want to use a calculator for this), you just run through a simple 64 step process detailed here: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1321

And you're done! This'll work on any version of Windows, linux or even mac!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I took security+ in October and didn't run into anything close to that. There were a few questions where I had to drag items into boxes or do pulldown selections for routers.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Interpolator posted:

Finished the Stanley VCP course and trying to get serious about studying for the test now. Any recommended paths?

Get the Mastering VSphere book. Lab like a maniac.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Security+ Should be pretty easy for someone who is generally into computers, especially if you have a little knowledge of what kinds of threats are out there. You do need to read through a study guide because there might be vocabulary that you aren't aware of.
Personally, I think Phishing is a great word to describe any attack where the attacker is attempting to fraudulently obtain sensitive information but there's all sorts of cutesy terms like "vishing" and "Smishing"
On the test if they ask you what it's called when someone sends you an SMS message asking for sensitive information, "Phishing" is incorrect.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You've got mastering VMware 5.5 by Scott Lowe, right? That's going to be your best resource.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hoppin Tin posted:

I've been itching to really get an MCSA/MCSE in Windows Server 2012 but I just seem to lack the ability to just sit down and study. Problem I feel is I just don't know where to start. Is there any advice or resources that can help me set up a schedule or outline what I need to practice and study from day to day? I ordered a few books but they feel a bit daunting.

Help me out goons!

Well, I had the same problem so I'm signed up for classes at the local community college.

Check out the Table of Contents for the textbook:
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-EHEP002576.html

This might help you find a structured plan for covering the material.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Elucidarius posted:

So, I'm taking the Security+ tomorrow and am really nervous. I'm a generally poor test taker to begin with.

Anyone have any last minute study suggestions? I've gone through 2 different books, made a ton of flash cards that I've memorized, and watched a couple of the cbt nugget videos. Am I preparing for the worst when it really won't be all that bad? I have zero clue what to expect.

I thought the test was pretty easy. The most difficult part to me was remembering all the dumb super special names they had for different kinds of phishing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Swink posted:

I'm not far from taking the 70-410. Any tips apart from "know powershell"?

I already passed my 70-410 but I'm currently going through a 3 class pipeline at a community college so I'm studying it again.

For every single objective, you need to know how to perform the task through the UI and with Powershell.
If you have labs, do them all at least twice using different methods.

Try to find a list of all the new commandlets for Server 2012R2, make sure you know what all of them are good for.

Make sure you can fully configure a machine that's in core, you need to know all the dos commands like sconfig.

Lab like a maniac.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

beepsandboops posted:

I'm rolling through Gibson's Security+ book and it all seems in reach except for the cryptography section. Any recommendations for resources to help my crypto knowledge? I'm more or less starting from scratch.

For cryptography you just need to understand the concepts.

You don't actually need to know how to compute an elliptic curve cipher, just know that it's a thing that exists, it's very secure and less computationally expensive which is good for mobile devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Are there other security certifications that are valued?

I just learned about the GSEC from SANS, is that valuable to anyone?