Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

I really want to see a diesel electric car. Diesel engine, driving generator, one motor per wheel a'la eTron Quattro, and watch it fly.

Like diesel electric locomotives have been doing for the past oh... 60 some years.

I think this has been brought up time and time again and I am still unsure why auto companies still ignore it. I think it would be easy to throttle down the diesel to produce just enough electricity on open straits, but rev up when needing the extra power?

But again, one one that understands locomotives it does take time to "load" as in building enough electricity up to move. But I would think modern capacitors and so forth could handle all of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

chrisgt posted:

The reason it works for trains is because weight is a non-issue. An extra hundred tons doesn't make that much difference.

Well we want all the weight we can get. Extra weight = tractive effort.

My neighbor has a diesel John Deere 332 with a 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel. That thing is pretty tits mower, has a huge deck on it, and he does mowing for cemeteries during the summer. I don't know how many hours he has on it, but I am guessing its well north of 4000 hours.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Shifty Pony posted:

The little Yanmar diesels are really impressive. My parents have a 1984 John Deere 650 with a 0.9L 2-cylinder Yanmar diesel and that thing is a tank. It easily has the same number of hours of farm work on it and the only major part it has needed was a new water pump. With 14.5 PTO horsepower it runs a 48" tiller, 48" bushhog, and 72" grooming mower just fine.

More mowers need a diesel instead of the air cooled B&S power that seems to be nearly ubiquitous until you get into professional stuff. I mean you can still get it in a JD X740 but you are looking at $13k for one of those with a desk.

For any one who cares... Hatz makes a small diesel engine. Its powerful as gently caress but is easy on fuel.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je0LHKp51u0

That is just bad rear end..... And here is another part to make your pants tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2zwd1iazvU

The combination of a turbo, 2 stroke diesels, and a hit of gear mashing sounds just about right.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

blk posted:

This probably isn't the first documented TDI v10 truck pull, but it's the first one I've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k62gW3Se5e0

Seeing how the Touareg weights about the same (if not slightly more) as the Silverado, its pretty easy match. Plus on top of it, the weight is more balanced, you can see the truck hop all around because there is not a lick of weight in the front.

Edit: whoops, I meant the back. The front has all the weight.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 31, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

NitroSpazzz posted:

Looking at a Merc diesel for my brother and as a general use cruiser, '83 300D with the OM617.952 engine. Anything in particular to look out for on these? How do the automatic transmissions tend to hold up? Assuming we do all work ourselves how are these for running expense?

That is now a 30 year old car. Expect every thing to go wrong. I am not trying to be mean or abusive, but lots of poo poo is bound to break. The engine itself is pretty bullet proof..... I would start wondering about rust.

God drat, I just felt really old saying that the car is 30 years old and shits bound to break. I am older than the car.... crazy.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

TopherCStone posted:

It was really only in the 90's that Merc started making cars that break expensively for no reason. On the older ones most of the really expensive things don't break, and they're simple enough to fix. The trick is to find one that hasn't been abused.

EDIT: Though I've been doing more reading and I think on the comfort factor a 300D would be better. Takes a hit in fuel economy though.

Its mostly the wiring harness because you know... save the world for the children or some stupid poo poo. And that poo poo started with the later S-Classes, so thats when you need to start keeping an eye on poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Mercedessource?feature=watch

This guy is actually pretty good. Kind of an annoying voice, but he has pretty detailed walk through of common repairs.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

TopherCStone posted:

Didn't Volvos also have a problem with their biodegradable wiring disintegrating?

I actually found that channel the other day. Good stuff, and he has an adorable jumpsuit

Yeah Volvo did too... I think VW cars suffered a little too. Surprisingly, BMW said gently caress the environment. At least in my area, there are far more 90's era BMW's still running around than Mercedes.

I think its more of a doctor's coat than a jump suit. I did price out some of his parts on his website, and he seems to be fairly priced against others, but he is pretty good at putting kits together instead of "one of pieces".

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just texted the owner in regards to this -

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3738573147.html

I cant remember any drawbacks to the 6.9 other than being slower than a turd when your constipated. If its not completely rusted out, it would be a nice older truck.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Looks good to me... But that's on the phone.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

They are awesome - 309hp, 553 ft-lbs.

Here's one dragging a chevy 6.5 duramax bro-truck in a tug of war, in fact:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UFVI_MQPEQ

e: I am pretty sure if the bro truck hadn't had a bunch of lift in the back (from the way it handles in the video, I'm guessing lift blocks and no traction bar, or even lift springs and no traction bar) and maybe some weight for traction it MIGHT have won. Good job making your truck useless!

I like people that do "tug of wars". Usually something happens and ends up with a missing back window.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

They weren't....bad per se. They were incredibly under-powered, and the early 6.2 had issues with cooling flow at the back of the block and caused cracks in the block. The later engines were re-designed to solve it.

Wasn't every thing from the 80s including the music pretty underpowered? :rimshot:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

trouser chili posted:

Head bolts suck (blown head gaskets) - Olds Diesel (maybe a little bit out of Rovers book)
HPFP leaks, fails and sucks - BMW This is a problem with them, still trying to fix it.
Engine wiring harness failures - Mercedes Remember the late 90s?

Who the gently caress did they let design this motor? Its like they took every lovely automotive failure and crammed it into this truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I am curious to see how this lasts over the long term. When it lets go, its going to be quite a show.

• Locked thread