Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Figured I'd toss out that I've started a new race thread, which is where my new races will go!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725770

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Don't know which thread is the official/current one, so I'll just post this in both!

Let's Race Spyro: Year of the Dragon!

Ballistic Clipboard, Bebuva, Manic X, RJWaters2, Robust Laser, and SuccinctAndPunchy

It's been nearly two years since the genius trainwreck Spyro 2: Ripto's Race so we brought nearly the whole cast back to wreck the sequel!

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
As an addition to the Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon video released above, I'm also posting a Spyro the Dragon race I was in a number of weeks back. I don't have any cool GIFS though XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEJ5OrAIpM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd3Tzl32ecI

If possible can this be added to the Let's Race youtube playlist?

My upload speed was terrible at the time of production so it's in 4 parts, this is part 1 and 2, where the real race is happening. Part 3 and 4 do see more people finish, but it may be annoying to clog up the playlist with 4 videos.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So is it just me, or do people consider their primary goal in these races to make Punchy as angry as possible? If so, please continue.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RJWaters2 posted:

Don't know which thread is the official/current one, so I'll just post this in both!

Let's Race Spyro: Year of the Dragon!

Ballistic Clipboard, Bebuva, Manic X, RJWaters2, Robust Laser, and SuccinctAndPunchy

It's been nearly two years since the genius trainwreck Spyro 2: Ripto's Race so we brought nearly the whole cast back to wreck the sequel!

I was hoping that this one was a loop, and then it was. :allears:

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
Donkey Kong Country 2 Full Game Race (yep!) - Group A - Catsworth, FutureFriend, Psychedelic Eyeball, Ragny, Tie Tuesday and thevoiceofdog

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Smite posted:

Donkey Kong Country 2 Full Game Race (yep!) - Group A - Catsworth, FutureFriend, Psychedelic Eyeball, Ragny, Tie Tuesday and thevoiceofdog

Are there any spaces left for future groups?

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Manic X posted:

Are there any spaces left for future groups?

Got a few people left but not enough for another group yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've never done a race before...but I wouldn't mind giving it a try sometime, especially for DKC2, which I know I can beat (eventually...)

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.

Smite posted:

Got a few people left but not enough for another group yet.

Depending on race time I'd be interested. We still using the old race chat on Skype or is there a new one?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Actually, I might make mention of it here, but I was thinking of doing some race streams, for those who don't wish to set up audacity and risk technical issues from getting the races published. Is anyone down for something like this?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I probably won't have any time to race stream, but can I get a pearler if I donate $10?

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

jivjov posted:

I've never done a race before...but I wouldn't mind giving it a try sometime, especially for DKC2, which I know I can beat (eventually...)

contact me on skype. joesmite

Seraphroy posted:

Depending on race time I'd be interested. We still using the old race chat on Skype or is there a new one?

Old chat is still workable for my purposes. I'm trying to organize a streamed race every weekend or every other weekend so they'll crop up a lot.

Donkey Kong Country 2 (full game race), Group B - Combat Lobster, Dr. Mutagen, Festivore, Smite, Valliac

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Smite posted:

I'm trying to organize a streamed race every weekend or every other weekend so they'll crop up a lot.

I'd love to participate or watch these. Be sure to post in the stream thread when you're doing them.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Racing Super Mario Bros. 2 - FutureFriend, Madithen, Psychedelic Eyeball, Smite, UZworm

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Bubsy - Drastic Actions, Festivore, Psychedelic Eyeball, Smite

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SirSamVimes posted:

So is it just me, or do people consider their primary goal in these races to make Punchy as angry as possible? If so, please continue.

please stop encouraging them

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Smite posted:

Bubsy - Drastic Actions, Festivore, Psychedelic Eyeball, Smite

This game is awful and I am glad you are playing it.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Here's two:

Batman (NES) - 13FridayGirl, Catsworth (eventually), Psychedelic Eyeball, Smite, thevoiceofdog

Star Fox Score Attack - Catsworth, Combat Lobster, FrozenTreasure, KillerEmcee, Smite

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Have some not-sonic races!

Freedom Planet, Group 1 - Catsworth, Psychedelic Eyeball, Smite, Tie Tuesday

Freedom Planet, Group 2 - Combat Lobster, DrMutagen, Festivore, LoloDePuzlo

Freedom Planet, Group 3 (The Drunks) - FutureFriend, KillerEmcee, RoneZoner, Uzworm

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

It finally happened, we raced Croc Legend of the Gobbos, with all of its terrible camera handling and stiff controls, And we did better than we thought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U03sIvsIO7M

If this could be added to the playlist that'd be great!

Soon to come - RAYMAN

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Some friends got together and decided to race a video game!

Super Mario Bros. Race - No Warps allowed.

Starring:
IGgy IGsen
Succinct and Punchy
Rath (Dragonatrix)
Will (Ultigonio)
Midnightlight (needs to "apply" for his SA membership)

Witness unpopular opinions, mediocre gameplay, some dudes having fun and actually some competition. Who would have thought? Amazing!

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Have another Freedom Planet Race to go with your Freedom Planet Races

Freedom Planet: Team Tryhard!(Sort of): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LThQgnZBfSI

Featuring: Ballistic Clipboard, Combat Lobster, Manic X, SuccinctAndPunchy, and Ultigonio.

Warning: we are not responsible for any seizures that may occur.

Manic X fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 13, 2015

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Sup,

I hate to be the only guy to post races at this current moment in time, but I like to keep G00N Racing Alive.

A bunch of us raced Aladdin Sega Genesis a few months back. It's a shame that this race is not the best in terms of quality - just bad luck that the 4th racer didn't send their audio after a few months of waiting so I had to just use a universal OBS Audio.

Let's Race Aladdin Sega Genesis - ft. Manic X, SuccinctAndPunchy, Ultigonio, and the voice of: Pat? Cody? Whatever.

Here's to hoping that one day this chat will be prosperous once more!

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
This might be a dumb question but... is this thread the originator of the phrase "taking damage to save time"? Or was the title itself a reference to something? I keep hearing it in my favorite LPs, but I am not up on my nerd-culture cross-pollination trends. :ohdear:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ghost of Starman posted:

This might be a dumb question but... is this thread the originator of the phrase "taking damage to save time"? Or was the title itself a reference to something? I keep hearing it in my favorite LPs, but I am not up on my nerd-culture cross-pollination trends. :ohdear:

It's a qualifier used to describe some speed runs. I guess it's to assure the audience that the player is intentionally taking the damage and it wasn't just a fuckup in their run.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It's a phrase that has previously shown up in speedruns, especially tool-assisted ones. TASVideos in particular has a number of ways to categorize all the wacky stuff that happens on that site, and "takes damage to save time" is explicitly one of them.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Ghost of Starman posted:

This might be a dumb question but... is this thread the originator of the phrase "taking damage to save time"?

No, it's just a speedrunning concept because taking damage is often faster than not taking damage. That's seriously about the extent of it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Starman posted:

It came from the TAS community, where it's a category of movies -- TASes would be tagged with "Takes damage to save time". Speedrunners picked it up, and then people started saying it as a joke when messing up and being bad at video games.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Amusingly, TASVideos has dropped that phrase in favor of foregoes time-saving damage because it's expected that ordinarily, runs would take damage to save time wherever applicable.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Amusingly, TASVideos has dropped that phrase in favor of foregoes time-saving damage because it's expected that ordinarily, runs would take damage to save time wherever applicable.

The circle is complete.

Back in the day, and I do mean 2003/2004, when TASes were in their infancy, there was a focus on avoiding any and all damage to give the appearance of perfect play. What little community existed at the time was somewhat split between a pure focus on speed vs sacrificing some speed if it means taking no damage. There was a general feeling that taking damage was unnecessary, given proper luck manipulation and perfect timing - sort of like how, along the same lines, submitted runs were expected to be on the hardest available difficulty unless there was a compelling reason for doing otherwise. Eventually, victory was claimed in regards to speed mostly being the key factor in runs, but by then the site had tags to indicate, to those who cared, which runs took no damage and which ones took damage to save time, and taking damage to save time became so ubiquitous as to become the expected norm.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Perfect plays are cool and all, but stuff like damage boosting in Castlevania to avoid climbing stairs or skip an entire room is arguably more impressive than going through normally and not getting hit so I'm happy the speed half of the debate won out there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

Perfect plays are cool and all, but stuff like damage boosting in Castlevania to avoid climbing stairs or skip an entire room is arguably more impressive than going through normally and not getting hit so I'm happy the speed half of the debate won out there.

Really the only downsides to damage-taking are a) when the game gives you too much health so you can just walk through literally every obstacle rather than actually have to deal with it (in which case a "perfect play" run would probably be more interesting), and b) that loving beeping sound when you're low on health.

Otherwise, health just becomes another resource that you have to carefully manage and only spend when it'll give you the greatest return.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

Turns out that with the way the internet works, you can actually record and upload both! And the world won't collapse!

And so we have both categories of speedruns. I really like the gimmick runs, but after the first time, the trick can get old, so I'm glad I can also watch someone do perfect play as well.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Any of you racy fellows played Super House of Dead Ninjas? It's fast, unforgiving, semi-procedurally generated and allows you to zoom through it like a loving, well, ninja. It would seem a pretty cool race game.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I've played it before though I haven't played it in a while.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

This is the last race I will be posting this year, and it is the final Freedom Planet race I intend to ever edit; my software seems to dislike Freedom Planet...

Let's Freedom Planet - Team Try-Harder - ft. Combat Lobster, Dr. Mutagen, Manic X, Robust Laser, Snorunt Pyro, and SuccinctAndPunchy.

Apologies in advance for the ocassional green square that flickers over Punchy's/Lobster's screen when finishing a level; Sony Vegas neglected to show this in the preview window when I was editing this race together and only seems to appear after the video has been rendered.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Manic X posted:

Let's Freedom Planet - Team Try-Harder - ft. Combat Lobster, Dr. Mutagen, Manic X, Robust Laser, Snorunt Pyro, and SuccinctAndPunchy.

the race where due to a series of miscommunications and silliness roughly three quarters of the people in it were already in a different race of the game. Sweet.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

yes, only Robust Laser and Snorunt Pyro have not raced it before, and to be fair to Comabt Lobster, he only raced 30 minutes of the other race he did of this. So it is pretty much 50% new racers, and 50% racers filling in for other racers who in the end were unable to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synrey
Feb 2, 2016
Is there going to be any races this year? I'd be down for pretty much anything if so, especially Afterbirth now that it's a thing.

• Locked thread