Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Hm, why not. Sounds like good times.

Timezone: GMT -8
Availability: Variable- Saturday evenings are generally out, easiest is other evenings/late night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I think racing Pokemon could be fun if there's enough interest in actually doing it- besides being a game that people without action game skills have a chance to actually win, it'd still have a lot of possibility for variation- it's not a speed run, a race doesn't end the second you screw up. But it does cost you time. So decisions have to be made- speed vs safety. So do you try to avoid as many fights as possible and just power through with your starter? Do you replace your starter with something more versatile/powerful when the chance comes up or try to 'waste' as little time as possible and stick to your guns? (Even some speed runs don't use the starter- Pokemon Yellow and the Gen 3 games are good examples). Do you pick up a ringer Pokemon to run a gym your chosen 'mon otherwise might not be able to clear easily for you? Do you go out of your way for that TM, even if the move it teaches only really helps you in one major area (or even just one major battle?)

Of course, the main difference is that Pokemon would be a horrible game to run blind- you wouldn't need to be a speed run planner or anything to get involved with it, but someone who's never played a particular installment of Pokemon would probably be SOL come race time- at least having played through the game once would help greatly. That could be a hiccup in putting a Pokemon race together (besides the length, although segmenting it could help with that) although I get the feeling Pokemon has a higher 'played by' rate among goons then many, many other games.

What I'm saying, I guess, is if the interest is there, get a race going, and we should probably stop cluttering the thread with debate about it. What are we going to do, tell a group interested in racing something they CAN'T do it even if they want to?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think Simply Simon proved that Top Spin is actually useful if you know how it works.

Top Spin is good. In places. When you don't have any other options, and you already know what you're doing since Top Spin has some really dumb attributes (like constantly draining even when in contact with enemies in mercy invincibility, meaning it's TERRIBLE against many things it does not one shot).

What I'm saying is that it's very dependent on the situation and even then is rarely the best option, and this is coming from probably the only person in the race who actually used it for something besides boss-smiting successfully. It's not made any better by the fact that it sucks in a lot of situations it should ACTUALLY be good (Someone in the race vid tried using it when swarmed by bees- a horde of one-shot melee-contact enemies that Top Spin SEEMS custom-built to thwart. What HAPPENS is comedy gold because Top Spin is unreliable as gently caress at even doing it's goddamn job.)

• Locked thread