Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

slam5000 posted:

That's a good point, but Monomi never says there's any indication of where the littering offense occurred. In fact, she states that the sirens would go off all around the island, implying that the same thing happens everywhere if you litter. By the time the rest of the group figured out where the litterer was, you'd probably be dead, and your murderer could just slip away and pretend to be part of the search party looking for the litterer.

All things we know about Monobear's enforcement of the school rules suggest that if someone sets off the litter alarm, then he'll show up and kill that person. Monomi doesn't seem to hold any real power right now- trying to save yourself from a murderer by trying to attract her attention to yourself by littering probably wouldn't work. I guess if you're already fatally bleeding you could use it to perform a really opaque version of the 11037 trick. But then it'd probably be better to just do the 11037 trick. :geno:

The existence of these alarms does imply that future murderers are going to be disposing of their evidence in weird ways, with no simple "throw it into the ocean" or "bury it" like people were supposing Hanamura should have done. It solves rather nicely why Hanamura would bring the bloody sheet somewhere it would be easy to find rather than just leaving it in the crawlspace: he'd just have been killed for littering if he left it down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

slowbeef posted:

I was worried about this if the iOS version ever comes out.

Seems more like if SDR2 gets a port, it will be on the Vita rather than the iOS. That might be me talking out of my rear end, though.

Orfeo posted:

Look, it really doesn't matter how the skewer was hidden in the bone now. You're just spitting heirs at this point.

No one else stopped to appreciate this and that is a goddamn shame.

:golfclap:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Falls Down Stairs posted:

All things we know about Monobear's enforcement of the school rules suggest that if someone sets off the litter alarm, then he'll show up and kill that person. Monomi doesn't seem to hold any real power right now- trying to save yourself from a murderer by trying to attract her attention to yourself by littering probably wouldn't work. I guess if you're already fatally bleeding you could use it to perform a really opaque version of the 11037 trick. But then it'd probably be better to just do the 11037 trick. :geno:

The existence of these alarms does imply that future murderers are going to be disposing of their evidence in weird ways, with no simple "throw it into the ocean" or "bury it" like people were supposing Hanamura should have done. It solves rather nicely why Hanamura would bring the bloody sheet somewhere it would be easy to find rather than just leaving it in the crawlspace: he'd just have been killed for littering if he left it down there.

What makes us think that Monobear will kill anyone for even slight violations of the rules, though? We had reason to suspect that through the first game, due to the death of "Junko" -- but it was then later revealed that Junko wanted her sister dead for her own reasons, and she was just seizing on the slightest excuse. Then there was Kirigiri and the false trial, but that wasn't a small thing either; she stole some of Junko's stuff and entered into areas that were meant to stay undisturbed.

Aside from that, when have we seen Monobear kill someone? During executions, sure, but killing for killing's sake didn't really seem to appeal. She had more restraint than that. It was all been about prolonging things and enjoying their developing despair. She might be killing people in DR0, but even that seems to have a wider despair-oriented purpose.

Maybe this Monobear is different, but if that's the case, then we have no basis to say anything. What we *do* know is that if someone is trying to kill you, having sirens abruptly and unexpectedly go off is likely to distract them. Even if Monomi never shows up, that gives you a window for self-defense or escape.

It's more a thought experiment than anything, though. "No littering" seems like the only rule open for gaming and manipulation right now, and I'd love to see someone in-game start asking questions. If you know exactly what happens when you drop a piece of trash, then you know whether the potential advantage is worth the risk. There's some serious potential in the ability to make an island-wide signal happen with such little effort, especially if it might summon someone who claims to have your best interests at heart.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Shoopuf posted:

I was going to praise it actually. :v:

After this trial, it seems that most students still would not be out for blood as they still appear rather rational at this point. Only Nagito, SHSL Dancer and SHSL Nurse appeared unstable enough to kill. Hopefully that wouldn't make the next case too easy to solve.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Jeek posted:

I was going to praise it actually. :v:

After this trial, it seems that most students still would not be out for blood as they still appear rather rational at this point. Only Nagito, SHSL Dancer and SHSL Nurse appeared unstable enough to kill. Hopefully that wouldn't make the next case too easy to solve.

But before this, who honestly suspected Hanamura? Not on some hunch or because you are "great at mystery games" like the 300 people who guessed randomly for the first 40 pages, but because he did something and you thought "Yup. This guy is going to kill some one."

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Einander posted:

What makes us think that Monobear will kill anyone for even slight violations of the rules, though? We had reason to suspect that through the first game, due to the death of "Junko" -- but it was then later revealed that Junko wanted her sister dead for her own reasons, and she was just seizing on the slightest excuse. Then there was Kirigiri and the false trial, but that wasn't a small thing either; she stole some of Junko's stuff and entered into areas that were meant to stay undisturbed.

Aside from that, when have we seen Monobear kill someone? During executions, sure, but killing for killing's sake didn't really seem to appeal. She had more restraint than that. It was all been about prolonging things and enjoying their developing despair. She might be killing people in DR0, but even that seems to have a wider despair-oriented purpose.

Maybe this Monobear is different, but if that's the case, then we have no basis to say anything. What we *do* know is that if someone is trying to kill you, having sirens abruptly and unexpectedly go off is likely to distract them. Even if Monomi never shows up, that gives you a window for self-defense or escape.

It's more a thought experiment than anything, though. "No littering" seems like the only rule open for gaming and manipulation right now, and I'd love to see someone in-game start asking questions. If you know exactly what happens when you drop a piece of trash, then you know whether the potential advantage is worth the risk. There's some serious potential in the ability to make an island-wide signal happen with such little effort, especially if it might summon someone who claims to have your best interests at heart.

Well, he has directly threatened the group into absolute obedience using several giant robots. It becomes a choice between escaping a bloodthirsty student or potentially attracting the attention of a giant robot intent on completely destroying your poo poo.

Even if Monobear isn't necessarily going to kill someone for setting off the litter alarm, you can't say the idea isn't on the table for the students that he would. It's not likely to be a tactic anyone but the most desperate would try.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Well, he has directly threatened the group into absolute obedience using several giant robots. It becomes a choice between escaping a bloodthirsty student or potentially attracting the attention of a giant robot intent on completely destroying your poo poo.

I got the idea that the robots are being used as threats against any student who might have thought of trying to destroy Monobear (Owari), not just for violating minor rules. It wouldn't be as despair inducing for someone to get killed by the mastermind because they dropped a soda can on the ground.

Even if Monobear isn't necessarily going to kill someone for setting off the litter alarm, you can't say the idea isn't on the table for the students that he would. It's not likely to be a tactic anyone but the most desperate would try.

Someone trying to avoid being murdered would be pretty desperate.

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012

Thank you, thank you very much.
That's exactly how I imagined it

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

The big difference, of course, is that Hanamura actually WANTED to be licked by a pretty girl. A perv all the way to the end.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tomn posted:

The big difference, of course, is that Hanamura actually WANTED to be licked by a pretty girl. A perv all the way to the end.

Bruno Buccellati is a man, thank you very much.

Although Hanamura didn't seem very picky in any case.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.

Gadvac posted:

I still can't wait to see Hanamura's execution. Let's get cooking!

It'd have to be something cooking related, I can't see them doing something perverted for the theme. Mind you, Monty Python already did the perverted execution decades ago.

:nws: :nws: :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLctf4o6feQ

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
:lol::lol::lol:

I doubt that Spike can top that video in hilarity if it chooses such a route.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Shoopuf posted:

Seems more like if SDR2 gets a port, it will be on the Vita rather than the iOS. That might be me talking out of my rear end, though.

Puns aren't meant to be appreciated. The Dancer's :iceburn:s, however, are.

There's something poetic about the superfreak getting hoist by a fanservice shot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On a slightly off-topic note, apparently YouTube might still suggest recommended videos if you're using YouTube even if you've used Polsy for all the trial videos. Luckily the few recommended ones they've sneaked into the sidebar don't have any spoilery thumbnails, but it's a little annoying. Is there a way to turn them recommendations off?

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

On a slightly off-topic note, apparently YouTube might still suggest recommended videos if you're using YouTube even if you've used Polsy for all the trial videos. Luckily the few recommended ones they've sneaked into the sidebar don't have any spoilery thumbnails, but it's a little annoying. Is there a way to turn them recommendations off?

What I do is go to my "Watch History" and clear it out. Not sure if that actually works, but I marathoned all of the trial videos recently, then cleared it out, so that might've helped.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Heliotrope posted:

It wouldn't be as despair inducing for someone to get killed by the mastermind because they dropped a soda can on the ground.

I disagree. Someone being executed because they did so little as dropping a soda can on the ground is very despair inducing. To see a person die for something so arbitrary would be very frightening, especially if you knew you could do nothing to defend yourself. Either way, wasn't the original point that the students feared the robots would kill them if they broke the rules? Monobear may not go that far, but no one living among the student would know that. All they know about him is that he's their crazy tormentor that's tempting the students to kill each other. It wouldn't be a very big leap to thinking that such a ridiculous and insane bear would kill them over something so minor. Hell, we've seen the previous Monobear kill her own sister on a whim.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't know of a way to turn them off through Youtube, but there are some scripts that removes them (among other things).

Commentless, Distractionless Youtube is a nice userscript which removes comments and suggested/recommended videos from Youtube.

Youtube De-Crapifier is an userstyle that pretty much removes everything that isn't the video. Has some problems with playlists, I believe.

YousableTubeFix (Foxfire)(Opera)(Chrome) does a lot of stuff, but it allows you to pick and choose elements to remove.

I haven't really used these much, or ever in the case of yousabletubefix, but they seem to work well. Hope that helped.

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 11, 2013

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
YousableTubeFix is fantastic. The chrome version is broken this second though, sadly, but it should be fixed in the next few days.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

GrizzlyCow posted:

I disagree. Someone being executed because they did so little as dropping a soda can on the ground is very despair inducing. To see a person die for something so arbitrary would be very frightening, especially if you knew you could do nothing to defend yourself.

While it would be frightening, it would make the students focus on Monobear. On the other hand, knowing you could be killed by your fellow students or seeing someone who everyone thought was an okay person become willing to kill makes the students less likely to trust or bond with each other - or have it be even worse if they had bonded (like with Mondo and Ishimaru). Monobear may have set the situation up and even provided motivations, but in the end it was a fellow student who decided that it was worth murdering someone and then causing everyone to die so they could leave.

GrizzlyCow posted:

Either way, wasn't the original point that the students feared the robots would kill them if they broke the rules? Monobear may not go that far, but no one living among the student would know that. All they know about him is that he's their crazy tormentor that's tempting the students to kill each other. It wouldn't be a very big leap to thinking that such a ridiculous and insane bear would kill them over something so minor. Hell, we've seen the previous Monobear kill her own sister on a whim.

I think the original point was about if Monobear would kill over littering. He's really obviously big on despair and getting the students to kill each other, and only threatened violence when they brought up destroying him to get out. As for Junko, her sister was in on it which made her a different case then the other students - Sakura fought with Monobear and Junko didn't kill her off.

GrizzlyCow posted:

YousableTubeFix (Foxfire)(Opera)(Chrome) does a lot of stuff, but it allows you to pick and choose elements to remove.

I haven't really used these much, or ever in the case of yousabletubefix, but they seem to work well. Hope that helped.

This is pretty rad, thanks for finding it!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

And so, after everything that’s happened, I, Ryouko Otonashi, and Yasuke Matsuda-kun made the decision to drop out and put Hope’s Peak Academy behind us.

Right now we are waiting for our flight at the airport lobby. Soon, we will both board an airplane and embark on our trip to America, the land of the free. I have finally realized what’s important. As long as I have Matsuda-kun in my world, I don’t need to fuss over such trifling matters as Hope’s Peak Academy. I have no obligation to participate in this irrational story. If you happen to be interested in what happens next, by all means - go ask someone else. We’re busy. After we get to America, we’re going to develop a new species of corn at a corn plantation, and then go to NASA and work on relocating to the moon. “Hey, Matsuda-kun!” I say, turning towards Matsuda-kun who is already hard at work growing corn under the seat next to me. “Hey, we’re not at the plantation yet! Isn’t this too early?” “Don’t interfere! I’m busy planting the Saibamen!” he replies while planting some seeds in the ground. “Y...You can’t, Matsuda-kun! Saibamen require richer soil to grow! Nappa-sama is going to be so upset!” But he is not listening to my advice and bang bang bang bang--

I opened my eyes.

I raised my body up wearily, and took a look around the room. A beige carpet. A small dresser. Empty bookshelves. Here and there, small notes reading “This is my room” were pasted on the wall. Since they were there I knew that this was, indeed, my room.

I gave a sigh of relief -- and then realized I didn’t have time for that.

Bang bang bang bang bang. Someone was knocking violently on my door, as if trying to bring it down.

“I...I’m coming, just a minute...”

Bang bang ba-ba-bang!
Bang-ba-bang-bang! Bang-ba-bang-bang!

Not only didn’t they wait, they also started knocking in a strange rhythm. I sulked, crawled out of bed, and then realized I had been sleeping with my shoes on. “Hm?” I thought as I removed them, picked up the notebook that was lying next to the pillow, and rushed to the door.

“...Who is it?” I unlocked the door, then opened it softly.

“Yoooohooooo!” A blond girl in loud makeup peeked vigorously through the gap.

“Waaah!” I reacted in surprise.

“Hey, hey! How much longer were you planning to sleep? It’s noon already, y’know! What are you, a giant?!”

“...Huh?”

“Oh, wait. Sleepy was a dwarf, wasn’t he. Sorry, my bad!”

I opened my notebook to check who this mysterious person who didn’t seem to care about the proper way to start a conversation was, but--

“Oh? Have you forgotten about me? Let me tell you, then. My name’s Junko Enoshima-chan! AKA ‘Super High-school Level Fashion Girl’!”

Junko Enoshima, huh? I hurried and looked for memories of her in my notebook. Soon, alarms started going off inside my head. That’s right... This is the girl who called herself a murderer and tried to get me involved in something I absolutely mustn’t get involved in!

“G...Go awaaaaaaaay!” I screamed as if my brain was coming to a boil. I closed the door in a panic, but she had already forced her foot through the gap in the style of a door-to-door salesman, and stopped me from doing so.

“Oh? Are you, perhaps, thinking you can run away? That kind of attitude’s just gonna hurt my feelings, y’know.”

“I...I don’t care! Just go awaaay!” I used my entire body’s strength in an attempt to push the door close, but it didn’t budge.

“Ding dong! Eureka, I got it! You think I’m a strange girl, don’t you? You think there’s a screw loose in my head, don’t you? Could it be you don’t even want to hear what I have to say? Is your conviction that strong? In that case, BIG SHOCK!” Enoshima-san opened her eyes wide and spread both her arms forward as she said the last two words.

“W...What the...?!”

“Eh? Don’t you think it’s funny? I was so sure I could make a fad out of this expression... BIG SHOCK!”

She seems to live in a different dimension than me -- I’m the one who should be in Big Shock right now!

“...No, that’s not it. I meant, what do you want from me?!”

“Well, we can’t stay here at the door all day, so... ‘scuse me, coming in!” She pushed the door open with what seemed to be the strength of a hundred men, and invaded my room.

“Nooooooooo!” I tried to escape deeper into the room but Enoshima-san managed to reach and grab me by the back of my neck. “....fugyuu!”

“This isn’t the time for you to be running away, is it? Aren’t I the grand thief who stole away your precious notebooks? Don’t you hate me? Don’t you just despise me?”

“I...I don’t care anymore... I don’t need those old memories anymore! I mean, it’s not like I can remember any of them!”

I struggled violently and somehow managed to shake her hand off. Then, I jumped into my bed as fast as I could, covered my entire body, head to toe, with the blanket, and yelled a plea. “Just leave me alone! Don’t involve me in whatever it is you do! It has nothing to do with me!”

Then--

“Oh? So you’re going to lock yourself in your own little world...” I heard Enoshima-san’s indifferent voice through the blanket. “But, that would mean you’re going to just let Yasuke Matsuda die... are you really okay with that?”

In a second, my sunken emotions poured out all at once, and spread all the way to my chest.

“W...What did you just say?! Are you going to do something to Matsuda-kun?!” I shot like a bullet from under the blanket and hurried toward Enoshima-san.

Then, something unexpected happened.

Smiling, Junko Enoshima-san... hugged me.

“...Huh?”

I was still dumbfounded when she began whispering in my ear.

“Yes, that’s good. You should hate me so much you’d want to kill me. The more you despise me, the more despair-inducing this story’s ending is going to get... and that would be perfect.”

“W...Wait...! Let me go...!”

“Hate me, despise me, fight me... Tear off that shell of yours, and let your true self reveal itself. This is not the time to lock yourself inside your own world. Let us give birth to a new you. It may hurt right now, but there’s no need to worry. These are just birth pains. When you overcome them, it would finally be time to say happy birthday to your true self...!”

I took a bite into Enoshima-san’s ear.

“Owowowowowow!”

As she faltered, I jumped out of her grip. “G...Give me a break! Why do I have to get involved with something like that...?! It has nothing to do with me!”

“Ha ha! Whether you have or don’t have anything to do with it has nothing to do with it!” She stroked her bitten ear and turned to me, an ecstatic smile on her face. “Traffic accidents, natural disasters, wars... do you even realize how many people in this world lose their lives to things that have nothing to do with them?”

“B...But...”

“It’s just the same! Well, at least it’s the same to me!”

I started praying. Dear god, please listen to my prayer. Please drop a meteorite on this girl’s head right now. If you do, I will revere you for the rest of my life, right after Matsuda-kun!

“Besides, you have everything to do with it. You only say you don’t because you simply don’t remember.”

“...Huh?” My prayer was instantly swallowed by intense bewilderment. “What... has something to do with me?”

“Hm? It’s obvious, isn’t it?” Enoshima-san arbitrarily lowered her voice and declared. “The Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History. You are deeply involved with it.”

I quickly turned to consult Ryouko Otonashi’s Memory Notebook -- but Enoshima-san grabbed my hand.

“L...Let me go...!”

“Did you really think the things you can’t remember are worthless and meaningless? If you did, you really are a dummy.” She smiled a faint smile and drew closer. “You see, it doesn’t matter how much you forget. Your actions are not going to disappear. Their effects are still felt right now in that world you’ve forgotten about.”

“W...What are --?”

“What, did it never cross your mind? Did you never imagine decisions you had made ended up hurting and tormenting people?”

“T...That’s not...”

“It’s a cruel world out there, but it’s the one we live in. People are intertwined in ways much more complex than you have ever imagined. A single person’s actions may save the entire world... A single person’s actions may cause a chain of despair that throws the world into chaos... Heh heh, isn’t that amazing? Truly, this is a world worthy of being lived in!”

It was such worthless, silly logic that I felt embarrassed just listening to it.

But... there was something there.

Somewhere deep inside my heart I found myself agreeing with her words.

“...Do you get it now? In that case, let’s return to the conversation's starting point.” Enoshima-san crossed her arms. “I’m going to talk fast, so play attention. You most certainly are involved with The Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History, but I assume your next question is ‘exactly how am I involved?’, isn’t it?”

“T...This is going too quickly...”

“I’ll tell you, then!” She ignored me and continued. “That is, I can’t really tell you.”

“Which is it?!” I wished she would at least be clear on this point.

“I mean, it’s boring if I tell you right now... at least, that’s what I think. That’s why you should find out on your own exactly what’s your involvement with the incident is... I think that’s the kind of story this is.”

“F...Find out on my own...” Does she think this is a game?!

“You’re probably asking yourself if I think this is a game, but I’m not gonna tell you either way. That’s the kind of story this is. But, this is the perfect time for me to add that I’m going to give you a hint. That’s the kind of story this is, you see.”

I gave up. Her speech was completely absurd. I couldn’t even understand the point she was trying to make.

“Which means... what, exactly?”

“I just told you, didn’t I? I’m gonna give you a hint!”, Enoshima-san looked offended. “By the way, once I give you the hint my role here is over. After I give it, I’m going to go away without saying another word.”

“Y...You’re going to go away? You are? Really?!” I thrust my body forward instinctively. I felt energy like I’ve never felt before taking over my body. “Then tell me! And then go away!”

“...F...Fine, it’s not like my feelings are hurt or anything!” Enoshima-san’s lips trembled as if she was shocked at my unexpected joy. “By the way, this is important so make sure you write everything down.”

“Sure, sure! I got it, so just get on with it!” As I pressed her, I took out my notebook. She coughed a little cough and raised her voice as if making an important announcement.

“Tah-daaaah! Here we go! This hint is all about ‘Junko Enoshima-chan’s goals’!” She made a V sign with her right hand. “There are two such goals!” She dropped one finger from her V and left her index finger pointing up. “Goal number one! To thoroughly crush down this school’s symbol of hope, Izuru Kamukura!” Then, she raised her middle finger. “Goal number two!”

After a short pause for dramatic effect, she raised her voice to its maximum volume and continued.

“...To kill the beloved darling Yasuke Matsuda!”

I heard a thump and realized I dropped my notebook on the floor. My body stiffened. I couldn’t even speak.

-- To kill the beloved darling Yasuke Matsuda.

Those incomprehensible words sprouted buds of fear, anxiety and confusion inside my body. The seeds grew and stretched in a single instant, fixing my body in place. I felt as if I was cast in plaster, unable to move even a single finger.

Enoshima-san watched my suddenly silent figure intently for a brief moment and then --

“............”

Everything was silent. Her mouth was a straight line, tightly closed, as if declaring her intention not to speak anymore. And then, after standing there quietly for a few seconds, Enoshima-san made a small goodbye wave with her hand and left my room.

The moment I heard the door closing my body lost every bit of its energy and I crouched, as if struck down by anemia.

“W...What the...?” My voice squeezed from deep within my throat, sounding like the chirps of a dying bird. “M...Matsuda-kun? She wants to...?”

-- Kill?

Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill.

The cruel word took over my entire world. “S...She can’t... she definitely can’t...”

My head was hot. Hot enough to make my hair rise.

“She can’t do... such a thing...”

My chest was also hot. Intense burning emotion made my heart explode.

And then -- something strange happened.

Magma-like heat boiled up deep inside my stomach, gradually swelled inside my body and exploded when it reached my chest. It escaped my heart and reached every muscle in my body--

--I felt rejuvenated. Stimulated.

“I...! I CAN’T LET HER DO THIS!!!” I leaped out of the room and into the corridor, yelling. I ran like a bullet, in a fever I couldn’t believe myself. The pages of Ryouko Otonashi’s Memory Notebook fluttered in the wind.

As I listened to the flapping noise of my trusted partner, I screamed inside my heart.

-- I will protect my own world!
-- I will save Matsuda-kun!

I ran through the dormitory’s corridors like a hurricane.

-- Matsuda-kun, wait for me!
-- I will be there soon!

Ryouko Otonashi is running. I am running -- so I can become the saviour of my and Matsuda-kun’s world.

But, at the time, I hadn’t noticed yet.

I hadn’t noticed that my frantically working towards a goal was itself the beginning of my despair.

I hadn’t yet noticed this despair-inducing reality.

[END OF VOLUME 1]

Orphaen
Apr 5, 2013
I don't think this has been brought up yet, and I may just be reading way too much into this but shouldn't Hanamura have a fairly large amount of blood on his clothes, if he was under the fat rear end when he stabbed him?

Also I really hope Komaeda keeps up his anti-Kyouko routine he seems to be displaying, it's loving fantastic.

RationalTangle
Jan 6, 2012
If I'm not mistaken, that was already addressed and explained by the bloody tarp found in the storage room.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Man. I hate breakneck verb mood shifts.

There has to be a better way to move from present tense to a retrospective look from the future than an ungreased transition between two sentences.

I'm actually kind of annoyed at how little was actually given to us at the end of this volume. How many mysteries did we solve that were presented to us at the beginning of the book?

Her SHSL skill? That it?

likecnsnnts fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 12, 2013

BigDB
Mar 21, 2013

orenronen posted:

“Hey, we’re not at the plantation yet! Isn’t this too early?” “Don’t interfere! I’m busy planting the Saibamen!” he replies while planting some seeds in the ground. “Y...You can’t, Matsuda-kun! Saibamen require richer soil to grow! Nappa-sama is going to be so upset!” But he is not listening to my advice and bang bang bang bang--

Well that's gotta be the most random transition into anything ever.

And kill Matsuda? I wonder how Junko would benefit by killing him. Just to make Ryouko despair?

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
At least we're halfway done now. I'm seriously getting sick of the word "despair" in every sentence.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
So there's the halfway point for DR0 I guess! Okay, I've got a theory about DR0; it's a bit of a stab in the dark, but I think I've got something coherent going on here.

It sounds like Hope's Peak is running some sort of eugenics/human enhancement program or something, but then poo poo went totally Frankenstein. They've been bringing in all these people who are inherently talented and studying them towards some end, and they're deeply invested in protecting this murderous student, Izuru Kamukura, who's always described like this: "The crimes committed may be terrible, but it doesn't change the fact that that student carries a very special brand of hope we raised all on our own."

So we've got all that. And Dangan Ronpa 2 has tossed us a Hope's Peak student who 1) is obviously batshit insane 2) has a bizarre complex about how he's different from all the other SHSLs 3) gives a poo poo about the hope/despair dichotomy more than anyone else with the possible exception of Junko and 4) has a conspicuously fake-sounding name. "I'm Naegi".

So I think that Nagito is actually DR0's Izuru Kamukura, who is someone Hope's Peak tried to make artificially talented somehow and it somehow hosed up and now he's insane and killing people. It fits nicely with the mysterious shot of him surrounded by blood in the DR2 OP too.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

quote:

I started praying. Dear god, please listen to my prayer. Please drop a meteorite on this girl’s head right now. If you do, I will revere you for the rest of my life, right after Matsuda-kun!

This is my favorite part of that entire chapter, and a perfectly rational response to Junko.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

orenronen posted:

Dear god, please listen to my prayer. Please drop a meteorite on this girl’s head right now.

Haha, that line made the whole update for me. I'm also liking the portrayal of Junko as being "unstoppably insufferable".

edit: gently caress, damnit, beaten

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Comparing this to the last chapter confirms that DR0 is several times more tolerable when Junko is not in it. I get what they're going for with her, but I'm just plain sick of it already. Ryouko isn't that great either, but hopefully she gets something to do other than go "MATSUDA-KUUUUN!" and "I don't understand anything oh god what's happening" soon.

Hopefully the second half of the book starts to pick up & it becomes less of a chore to read as we actually get to the important stuff. Or it can take place entirely from Kirigiri's POV, so we don't have to go through the "I don't remember anything teehee" schtick 500 more times.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Didn't the book start out with her running to meet him? Did she forget why on the way there and the actual beginning was when her books were stolen in the middle of the book?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Junko is really grating on me at this point. It makes her execution in DR1 slightly more satisfying, I guess.

So I think that Nagito is actually DR0's Izuru Kamukura, who is someone Hope's Peak tried to make artificially talented somehow and it somehow hosed up and now he's insane and killing people. It fits nicely with the mysterious shot of him surrounded by blood in the DR2 OP too.

While I agree with your points prior to this paragraph I have doubt about this conclusion. Nagito explicitly said he is untalented except for being lucky enough to win the lucky draw.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

BigDB posted:

Well that's gotta be the most random transition into anything ever.

And kill Matsuda? I wonder how Junko would benefit by killing him. Just to make Ryouko despair?

Shock Ryouko into dropping her notebook as she runs off to warn Matsuda. Alter the notebook. Write in the notebook that she's Junko's kid sister who grew up as a prodigy child soldier who was so good at what she did that she never even got wounded.

All she has to do is to alter the notebook, then get some SHSL Neurosurgeon to correct Ryouko's anterograde amnesia so that she forms a whole new set of childhood memories based on what's written in the notebook.

Suddenly, she's got an unshakable ally to whom she herself owes no bond of loyalty or emotion.

Because I suspect that I might be right, I just want to clarify that I have neither read nor seen anything of DR:Zero beyond reading the thread and Orenronen's translation.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kytrarewn posted:

Shock Ryouko into dropping her notebook as she runs off to warn Matsuda. Alter the notebook. Write in the notebook that she's Junko's kid sister who grew up as a prodigy child soldier who was so good at what she did that she never even got wounded.

All she has to do is to alter the notebook, then get some SHSL Neurosurgeon to correct Ryouko's anterograde amnesia so that she forms a whole new set of childhood memories based on what's written in the notebook.

Suddenly, she's got an unshakable ally to whom she herself owes no bond of loyalty or emotion.

I have no actual objection to your theory, but I hope it's wrong. Ikusaba was my favorite character in DR1 and having her turn out to be, well... Ryouko would put a pretty serious damper on that.

VVV Thanks for having an objection, you're good people.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 12, 2013

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Jeek posted:

While I agree with your points prior to this paragraph I have doubt about this conclusion. Nagito explicitly said he is untalented except for being lucky enough to win the lucky draw.

That's why I put things as "eugenics/human enhancement". Maybe I should've left out 'eugenics', I dunno. I think it's unlikely that Hope's Peak is hiding an actual breeding program to raise Übermenschen, since that'd require control over their subjects' whole lives, not just the 3 years of Japanese high school.

But what if they tried to Captain America an untalented normal person up to Super High School Level, except it went horribly wrong and he ended up losing his mind? That's the only other way I can think of that they could create 'hope' or 'talent' (which they seem to regard as basically the same thing). And like you said, Nagito is one of the few untalented normal people who've entered the school.

alcharagia posted:

I have no actual objection to your theory, but I hope it's wrong. Ikusaba was my favorite character in DR1 and having her turn out to be, well... Ryouko would put a pretty serious damper on that.

I have an actual objection to that theory. We saw Mukuro's student file and several photographs of her and she's clearly a distinct person.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
You know, I imagined that Matsuda was being such an rear end to Ryouko because of some terrible thing she did to him in the past that she can't actually remember, but he can't really blame her for it because she can't remember. While that might be true, it could also have to do with her connection to the Most Despairing incident.

In either case, I just want to see what's actually hiding behind Ryouko's not memories.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

HangedManArcana posted:

What I do is go to my "Watch History" and clear it out. Not sure if that actually works, but I marathoned all of the trial videos recently, then cleared it out, so that might've helped.

That does work, you can "Pause Watch History" afterwards which will stop it getting updated as well.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Its possible Ryouko was SHSL Despair as well, but forgot about it. There was that weird time where she actually agreed with Junko from "deep down" after all.

That's why I put things as "eugenics/human enhancement". Maybe I should've left out 'eugenics', I dunno. I think it's unlikely that Hope's Peak is hiding an actual breeding program to raise Übermenschen, since that'd require control over their subjects' whole lives, not just the 3 years of Japanese high school.

But what if they tried to Captain America an untalented normal person up to Super High School Level, except it went horribly wrong and he ended up losing his mind? That's the only other way I can think of that they could create 'hope' or 'talent' (which they seem to regard as basically the same thing). And like you said, Nagito is one of the few untalented normal people who've entered the school.

I have an actual objection to that theory. We saw Mukuro's student file and several photographs of her and she's clearly a distinct person.

I forget if Naegi actually saw Ikusaba's interview with the headmaster, but technically Junko could just switch the photos on their profiles and/or give Ryouko a SHSL Makeover.

I doubt that though. I don't think we're meant to really reason any of that out. Its not a trial case after all.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 12, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Joenen posted:

I forget if Naegi actually saw Ikusaba's interview with the headmaster, but technically Junko could just switch the photos on their profiles and/or give Ryouko a SHSL Makeover.

I doubt that though. I don't think we're meant to really reason any of that out. Its not a trial case after all.

Mukuro has freckles. It's part of the whole reason why goons insisted she wasn't the real Junko and why she waved it away by talking about photoshop. Ryouko, as far as can be made out on her picture, doesn't. So why would she get freckles added on later if it messes with the whole "I'm Junko!" disguise?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

I doubt Ryouko has the physical talent to fake being a SHSL soldier for two years though, and if you claim so, one may as well say Ryouko is actually any female student (except Kirigiri) in the DR universe.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 12, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Making Mukuro actually Ryouko only serves to open up the huge coincidence plothole (wow these girls look almost identical) that was closed with the reveal that Mukuro was Junko's sister. It doesn't add anything good to the DR1 story. Dumb theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ryouko is really Sakura. If you ignore all of Sakura's backstory, personality and concept art to say nothing of the concept of linear time, it is entirely possible that she changed her name and took up martial arts and steroids after Matsuda was killed.

• Locked thread