Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Jeek posted:

If Junko was just passing by, she should not use the phrase "came back" unless she is aware of the fourth wall and intentionally messing with readers, which is not very likely. It allows Junko to actually "carry" Ryouko back to Matsuda's room as well, which would be a risky and pointless act otherwise.

Junko abandoned Ryouko to Madarai earlier, so when she reappeared she "came back" because she actually did leave before (I just added a little more detail about this into the summary post since I realized I left it ambiguous where the hell Junko is after chapter 6).

e: I mean, it's weird she says that line, but she says very little that's not weird and I don't think there's any special significance to that statement.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
That would be a good explanation, although there is a point that doesn't make sense: Why would Junko "[s]wayed up from her crouching posture" and appeared to be slightly confused if she arrived separately and killed the ninja? Also, the scene with Junko "playing" with the ninja's body has no description of Ryouko at all, just the two of them. You'd think a careful writer would at least include Junko's impression of Ryouko. Junko couldn't have missed Ryouko either as the ninja died right next to her ("He spitted red foam at my feet, ...")

In any case, Ryouko is highly suspicious since Junko did say she was deeply involved in the :words: event.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 14, 2013

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Requested_Username posted:

Did you use a Markov Bot for this?

Not even. It's even dumber. I gave it a couple sentence fragments and they are combined at random; full source: http://westergaard.eu/batshit.phps

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

klafbang posted:

Not even. It's even dumber. I gave it a couple sentence fragments and they are combined at random; full source: http://westergaard.eu/batshit.phps

A question: I don't know computing, but it is kind of strange that the line

pre:
rebuttal( ).
has a space between the brackets while the other ones do not. Would that break the code?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Jeek posted:

A question: I don't know computing, but it is kind of strange that the line

pre:
rebuttal( ).
has a space between the brackets while the other ones do not. Would that break the code?

Mostly, spacing means nothing and this is such a case. The spacing is not 100% consistent because it's a quick hack.

... like the murder, apparently :)

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Jeek posted:

That would be a good explanation, although there is a point that doesn't make sense: Why would Junko "[s]wayed up from her crouching posture" and appeared to be slightly confused if she arrived separately and killed the ninja? Also, the scene with Junko "playing" with the ninja's body has no description of Ryouko at all, just the two of them. You'd think a careful writer would at least include Junko's impression of Ryouko. Junko couldn't have missed Ryouko either as the ninja died right next to her ("He spitted red foam at my feet, ...")

In any case, Ryouko is highly suspicious since Junko did say she was deeply involved in the :words: event.

Yeah, I'm nitpicking. There's startlingly few counter-examples; I'm legitimately wondering whether you're actually picking up on something significant with the strangeness of chapters 10 and 11.

Nevertheless, here's a good one. When Madarai first encounters Ryouko and Junko:

orenronen posted:

Well, then. I hope you two are ready, because --

W...Wait a second! I raised my shaky voice. Both Enoshima-san and Madarai turned their eyes towards me at the same time. Ah. U...Um, its strange that you said you two just now. After all, you only have business with --

I cant have one of you running away. Anyone involved with Junko Enoshima is likely to have something to do with the incident themselves, said Madarai, licking his lips. Well, if you need someone to blame, blame yourself for getting involved with Junko Enoshima. Furthermore, Ive been hearing nothing but complaints, but dont you think this is a pain for me too? I came prepared for one and now I have to deal with two. Thats twice the labour. But, you dont see me complaining, so why dont you just keep it to yourself?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

zolthorg posted:

A supporting / flat character can be someone's favorite. Not everyone looks for leaps and bounds of character development. See: the user with the Maizono avatar and anyone who was riveted by Monobear's character arc from 'Robot' to "A Real Bear" TM

In other settings, see Boba Fett. Man did practically nothing except fly to his death throughout the whole series but the fans made a whole giant thing about him.

On a side note, thinking about the whole linear time thing and Sakura, I just realized that the chronology for most of the characters in DR1 don't really make a whole lot of sense or contains disturbing implications, depending on when high school starts in Japan. To put it simply...

- Sakura became a steroid-infested beast before high school (and had a relationship (possibly Platonic) with a guy while looking like a perfectly normal young girl before that)

- Maizono became a nationally-recognized idol singer before high school.

- Junko became a nationally-recognized fashion model before high school.

- Yamada was drawing dirty doujins before high school.

- Kirigiri was investigating a case dangerous enough to get her hand horrifically burned before high school.

- Mondo was riding Harleys and using them in death races with his brother before high school.

I mean, they're all ridiculously competent in their own fields, of course, but I can't help but think that Maizono's career probably started something like this. Not to mention the image of pre-puberty Mondo perched on top of a Harley. Honestly, in some ways it seems like they'd all make more sense as Super College Level students, but I guess that doesn't really roll off the tongue as well, and anyways Anime. So far none of the characters in DR2 seem to have such early careers other than Nidai, but that's more because he doesn't look like he's a day under 20 at least. Or maybe 30.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hagakure mentioned he was 20 in the first game and he got held back three grades, so it's likely that everyone's around 17. 'Super High School Level' probably means that they achieved success DURING High School rather than before it.

I don't think any of the professions are really too weird for their age range aside from maybe Nidai's (I'm not sure how many athletes take a 17-ish year old coach seriously).

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...
Japan has junior high school and high school, 3 years each. Hopes Peak would be the latter 3 years, so the students would be roughly 16-18, (plus Hagakure) but then also remember that the admission rules stated that you had to already be enrolled in an existing high school to qualify, which could possibly mean they have to complete one year or 'regular' high school before moving to Hope's Peak. Also, I dont think it was ever said that Hope's Peak was the same as other japanese high schools in that it would only be 3 years; I presumed that students could continue on for 'university' and so on. Basically, it means everyone is a least a little bit older than you may be assuming they were pre-Hope's Peak.
....Although still, they will have all been under 18, but again, anime. (Although I dont understand the surprise for Maizono being an idol at that age. The vast majority of idol singers in Japan are between 14 and 18 years of age, after that people tend to forget they exist if they don't graduate from being 'idols' and become real singers instead. (this is also the reason why Maizono's talent is the one that actually makes the least amount of sense to me, because I don't really know how one goes about being a 'better' idol than any other idol, especially when they're all roughly the same age and would all be high school students anyway. I'm not sure what it is about Maizono's approach to being an idol that makes her Super High School Level, compared to other idol singers in this universe.)

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I figure Maizono's ability stems from her becoming one of the most-well known idols in Japan in less than a year. I don't think she was one while she and Naegi were in middle school, since I figure that would be something that would be brought up at some point.

Personally, I actually thought Hope's Peak was a university until halfway through the first game, and I'm still actually kind of disappointed that it's not. Having college-aged charactersfor once would have been a nice change of pace. They're at least the right age for that thanks to the time-skip, but it's not quite the same thing.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

orenronen posted:

Kamishiro is quite explicit in saying Chihiro only provided him with data, and that it was him who discovered that the email came from Junko. He even goes on to say he never reported back to Chihiro about his findings, because he doesn't like to get innocent people involved. I have a feeling these lines are there specifically to avoid a plot hole with DR1.

Woah, hold up. Chihiro is in the book? I don't remember this?

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Tomn posted:

On a side note, thinking about the whole linear time thing and Sakura, I just realized that the chronology for most of the characters in DR1 don't really make a whole lot of sense or contains disturbing implications, depending on when high school starts in Japan.

orenronen posted:

There are two requirements for becoming a Hope's Peak student...

"One must be a high-school student"
"One must be top in their respective field"

No word on when they started, but they definitely enrolled in Hope's Peak while already in high school.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Woah, hold up. Chihiro is in the book? I don't remember this?

Not named explicitly, but Kamishiro's computer-expert friend is implied to be Chihiro.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
Ok, I know people probably don't care about this, but it was a weird coincidence.
I just found out that Avril Lavigne just recently let out a new single, so I checked the date on the vevo and Oren's posts.
Same exact day.

On topic: I really love that they left everything sort of open ended at the end of the first novel! I can't wait for the next one, even though it probably will be a bit.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CandyCrazy posted:

Personally, I actually thought Hope's Peak was a university until halfway through the first game, and I'm still actually kind of disappointed that it's not. Having college-aged charactersfor once would have been a nice change of pace. They're at least the right age for that thanks to the time-skip, but it's not quite the same thing.
Pretty much every anime/Japanese video game/manga/LN makes more sense if you assume that everyone involved is 3-5 years older. It's a shame, because like you implied, a lot of stories that would make more sense in a university aren't set in one because high school is a more standard setting for some godforsaken reason.

Tea Bee
Apr 7, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Pretty much every anime/Japanese video game/manga/LN makes more sense if you assume that everyone involved is 3-5 years older. It's a shame, because like you implied, a lot of stories that would make more sense in a university aren't set in one because high school is a more standard setting for some godforsaken reason.

I'd say it works in the case of Dangan Ronpa, as part of the reason is you're supposed to feel even more desensitized by the fact they're all teenagers. Teenagers are still just kids, so it makes the scenario horrifying when they all don't mind just murdering each other, especially considering some of them they murdered were people they knew beforehand. It's been done in multiple stories like this, with the most well known example being Battle Royale.

Tea Bee fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 14, 2013

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

Tomn posted:

On a side note, thinking about the whole linear time thing and Sakura, I just realized that the chronology for most of the characters in DR1 don't really make a whole lot of sense or contains disturbing implications, depending on when high school starts in Japan. To put it simply...

- Sakura became a steroid-infested beast before high school (and had a relationship (possibly Platonic) with a guy while looking like a perfectly normal young girl before that)

- Maizono became a nationally-recognized idol singer before high school.

- Junko became a nationally-recognized fashion model before high school.

- Yamada was drawing dirty doujins before high school.

- Kirigiri was investigating a case dangerous enough to get her hand horrifically burned before high school.

- Mondo was riding Harleys and using them in death races with his brother before high school.

I mean, they're all ridiculously competent in their own fields, of course, but I can't help but think that Maizono's career probably started something like this. Not to mention the image of pre-puberty Mondo perched on top of a Harley. Honestly, in some ways it seems like they'd all make more sense as Super College Level students, but I guess that doesn't really roll off the tongue as well, and anyways Anime. So far none of the characters in DR2 seem to have such early careers other than Nidai, but that's more because he doesn't look like he's a day under 20 at least. Or maybe 30.

Keep in mind, also, that high school in Japan begins at what we think of as 10th grade/sophomore year in the US. Assuming they were all in high school for one year before being accepted to Hope's Peak (as others said, you can't be invited until you're already in HS), they would have come to Hope's Peak their junior year, making everyone somewhere between 15 and 17 when the story began and 17-19 now (and I guess as old as 22 in Hagakure's case!). Not that that makes some things immensely more realistic, like Mondo's thing, but some of them like Maizono and Junko and Yamada aren't so implausible at that age, as opposed to some anime where they're like 12 and doing these things.

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...
About Mondo; I'm in Fukuoka, and every time I go to the supermarket at night there will be a gang of kids who cant be older than 17 that look like Mondo - corncobs and all (albeit less impressive ones) - squatting over near the bicycle rack and smoking/leering at people who walk past. While this isnt exactly a gang on Mondo's level, it's easy to see where the idea comes from - Mondo is basically what these kind of kids wish they were. (To me, they look like total morons with their dumb hair, but I always have to try not to laugh when I see them because they could possibly beat me up or something)
Plus, Mondo did have the help of his brother in establishing the gang.

Zeeco
Jan 4, 2012

CandyCrazy posted:

I figure Maizono's ability stems from her becoming one of the most-well known idols in Japan in less than a year. I don't think she was one while she and Naegi were in middle school, since I figure that would be something that would be brought up at some point.
It was brought up, she was a celebrity in their school and she had a crush on Naegi but never got a chance to talk to him because she was always surrounded by people.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

She was popular in their school. She was hardly a nationally-loved figure or a household name at that point.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 14, 2013

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Pyradox posted:

No word on when they started, but they definitely enrolled in Hope's Peak while already in high school.

I never read that as excluding first year high-schoolers' attendance at Hope's Peak; I always took it to mean "You have to be all ready to start attending high school come the new school year at the very least (or if your talent only starts to show up later, we might recruit you later)".

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CandyCrazy posted:

She was popular in their school. She was hardly a nationally-loved figure or a household name at that point.

Maizono's Introduction posted:

She's the leader of a nationally-famous female idol group.

As a Super High-school Level Idol, she's a popular performer who appears frequently on TV and in magazines.

???

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Oh my god, who cares, the game took some artistic license by making the characters extremely successful despite their young age.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Requested_Username posted:

Oh my god, who cares, the game took some artistic license by making the characters extremely successful despite their young age.

Yeah pretty much this. Suspend ya disbelief, kids!!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Let's remember that this is a game where one person working alone can program a full-fledged AI in just a few days. In that context, questions like "How could a mere high-school student ride a motorcycle so well?" really aren't worth asking.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Extreme success as an idol at a young age isn't exactly improbable, either. Indeed, having someone over 18 achieve as much would be considerably stranger. Idol culture is loving awful, you see.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

When Naegi knew Maizono in middle school, Maizono wasn't an idol yet. She presumably became one later, then was recruited to Hope's Peak.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Extreme success as an idol at a young age isn't exactly improbable, either. Indeed, having someone over 18 achieve as much would be considerably stranger. Idol culture is loving awful, you see.

Yeah, young age is practically a requirement. I don't know much about idol culture but even gravure idols are like.. 14-16 when they start for the most part. Typically idols aren't, well, idols for more then a few years because being older isn't 'cute'.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Morning Musume is recruiting girls as young as ten to be part of the group now. Ten. Pretty soon we're going to be going into Super Kindergarten Levels and having anime babies slaughtering one another.

I could probably extrapolate more about idol culture -- besides the usual 'no dating ever' bullshit that gets thrown about -- but I don't want to risk going offtopic. In lieu of that, I'll just say that I kind of feel like even with Falls Down Stairs' summarizing I can't really bring myself to care much about DR0 beyond Kirigiri's involvement (and occasionally Junko's, but I can see why people wouldn't be too fond of her here) and I apologize.

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011

Miss Kalle posted:

In lieu of that, I'll just say that I kind of feel like even with Falls Down Stairs' summarizing I can't really bring myself to care much about DR0 beyond Kirigiri's involvement (and occasionally Junko's, but I can see why people wouldn't be too fond of her here) and I apologize.

What I've mostly gotten out of it is that Hope's Peak is half high school, half sanatorium for unhinged psychopaths. If Naegi's class seemed more normal from what we saw of it in DR1, I'm not surprised that the school kept up the SHSL Luck thing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Spent a little bit of time making this. Sadly there was no sufficently popped collar, but..

Saint's Mondrow.

I think it turned out recognizable as Mondo, though not great. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 15, 2013

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
^^ This is neat. Would be even better if the hair is blonde like how Mondo dyed his.

Genaro posted:

What I've mostly gotten out of it is that Hope's Peak is half high school, half sanatorium for unhinged psychopaths. If Naegi's class seemed more normal from what we saw of it in DR1, I'm not surprised that the school kept up the SHSL Luck thing.

It is quite possible that Naegi's class is part of the last batch of Hope's Peak students. It shuts down one year after Naegi's entry and it should be safe to say that any recruits Hope's Peak may have found during that year would not be admitted at all. Besides, Nagito is presumably a SHSL Luck as well and look at how crazy he is.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
For DR0 could I ask what the SHSL every character is that's DR0 specific? The problem for me is the chunks not the translation or story. I'm sure once it's all posted I'll plow through it, but for now my brain isn't handling DR0 at all.

The sum up is very helpful and I have a few guesses where this is going that all hinge on Oren saying it's important for DR2. Please keep posting and translating them Oren. The ideas presented seem interesting. I could get a ton of material out of the whole "we are studying talent" bit.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

CandyCrazy posted:

"Even back in our junior high days, she was already a famous person worthy of several supers attached to her name."

I'm pretty sure that suggests she was already famous as an idol. Like several others have pointed out, there are nationally famous idols who are as young as 10 and 11, so Maizono being famous in junior high doesn't even require her to be SHSL to be honest.

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012
Speculation: He's going to be turned into a CD of this:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'm wondering just how the Climax Inference is going to work, too. I have this mental image of an 8-bit platformer/top down where we play as Hanamura, battling a bloated demonic Bosstogami by throwing evidence bullets at it in the right order.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Tutorial posted:

The time has finally come... Is your heart thumping in excitement too?
The final, decisive deduction of the school trial... we call it "Climax Inference".
In Climax Inference, you are required to put together a summary of the incident.
The incident will be displayed in the form of a comic book.
The comic depicts the events of the incident as Hinata-sama remembers them. However, there are a few gaps in it.
Those gaps are depicted by missing panels.
Your task is to match the provided Inference Panels with the correct missing panels, and complete the comic.
The Inference Panels are collected into several sets of 3 to 5 panels each.
In each of these sets are some correct panels and some incorrect ones.
Once you finish matching the correct panels in a set, it will be replaced with a new set.
Once you go through all the sets and fill every missing panel, you win the game.
As I am sure some of you have already noticed...
The game starts out difficult, with no missing panels filled, but gets easier as you progress.
Those of you who played the previous game may get a little confused... but the basic idea is the same.
There are also a few tricks to help you solve the Climax Inference.
When you move the cursor over the missing panels in each page, a hint will be displayed.
The hint describes, in the form of a question, what kind of scene should be depicted in that panel.
Furthermore, when you move the cursor over the Inference Panels, more hints will appear.
Here, they will describe the scene the panel depicts.
Try matching the two types of hint as you solve the game.
There is a time limit, of course, so don't dally!
The rest is up to you... We wish you luck.

Phase 16 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 16 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

Climax Inference is much improved from the previous game - the panels are larger and clearer, you are told immediately if you got a match right or wrong, and you get the hints which allows you to ignore the graphics completely and simply match questions and answers.

If you had asked me, after DR1, how I would have changed Climax Inference, my answer would have been... more or less exactly this. The biggest problem with the last iteration was not being able to tell what the Inference Panels were actually depicting and... well, they sure addressed that. Plus, doing it in stages... its just sensible.

THIS IS HOW IT HAPPENED!

Let's begin right after the party started.

Wed all gathered at the big hall in the old lodge after Togami called us there.

Someone had warned Togami that there would be a murder tonight, and so he set about trying to prevent it from happening.
He decided to throw a party, so he could get all of us in one place and watch over us.

Then, even though not everyone was present... the party began.
But, at that time, a certain persons plan was already in motion.

They plugged in three irons in the storage room, and brought the power supply in the old lodge close to its limit.

In addition, they set up something to turn on at 11:30PM.

That was the air conditioners in the big hall and the office. They set their timers so they would turn on automatically.
When that happened, the air conditioners and the irons drew so much power between them that they tripped the circuit breakers.

With the power off and the windows perfectly sealed, the lodge was thrown into total darkness.

But Togami was prepared for this. He reached into the duralumin case he had with him...

...and took out a pair of night-vision goggles.
It was just one item from the range of defense goods Togami brought to the party in preparation.
Having put on the goggles, Togami witnessed a certain person behaving suspiciously...

Komaeda followed the power cord of a tabletop lamp, and crawled under a table.
That's right. Up until now, everything had gone exactly according to Komaeda's plan.
Both the warning letter and the blackout were planned by him.

At the same time... in the kitchen which had also gone dark, another person -- the true culprit -- started working.

The culprit most likely knew about Komaeda's plan, and that the power was going to drop...
That's why they had already prepared everything they needed to commit their murder in the darkness.

First, a light... that was the portable stove that was in the kitchen.

Then, a weapon... that was also something they had hidden in the kitchen.

A steel skewer used for Churrasco dishes. The culprit hid one inside a large meat on a bone.

The culprit picked up the stove and the weapon, and exited to the lodge's corridor...
There, he closed the fire doors so the light he was holding wouldn't leak into the rest of the lodge.

Then, the culprit headed to the storage room, where they acquired one more thing...

A tablecloth they used to evade blood splatters.

Having finished their preparations, the culprit used a trap door to sneak into the crawlspace under the big hall.
They must have turned off the portable stove at that point, or left it by the trap door...
The hall's floor was full of gaps, and they couldn't move around still holding a light source.

Then, the culprit used glow-in-the-dark paint as a landmark, and managed to reach the spot under the table.

At that point, Togami found the knife that was hidden under the table...

Had Togami walked away at this point, he surely would've been spared, but...
...Togami decided to retrieve the knife. And at that exact moment...!

The culprit hiding in the crawlspace thrust the steel skewer up through the floor!

They were aiming for the time the glow-in-the-dark paint moved in the darkness.

Then, having killed Togami, the culprit...
...raised their voice deliberately, and created an alibi for themselves.
They then quickly left the crawlspace and hurried back to the kitchen.

Then, after hiding the tools they used, they mixed with the rest of us, feigning innocence.

There's only one person who could have done all that...
Someone who could think of such a peculiar hiding place for a weapon...

Isn't that so... Teruteru Hanamura?!

Trial 22 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 22 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

That's the whole truth... How about it? Have I got something wrong?

S...Something wrong...? There's n...no way I'd ever kill...
No... way...
Uuuuu... uuuuuuu.......

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah...!

It seems this is over.

Uwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!

Unlike the first game, where the player was told their score after each phase, here we get scored at the end of the trial. We can go into detail view to see how well we did in each phase:

Grrah... It seems you bastards have reached your conclusion.

Oops! It looks like my wild side peeked out. Is this because of that meat I ate?

...But let's leave the jokes for later, and begin our nerve-wracking voting time!
Well, then. Please use the switches in front of you to vote, you bastards.

Ah, and let me warn you just in case... You have to vote! No exceptions!

If someone doesn't vote... I'll eat them just like I ate that meat...

Uuu...! W...Why would you...?!

Who will be voted the culprit?! Will they get it right, or wrong?!

Upupupupu! Isnt this super-exciting?!

Re: Despair Syndrome

You bastards are absolutely right!

That's right! The culprit who kicked off the mutual killing by killing Togami-kun was Teruteru Hanamura-kun!

Aba.. abababababa...!

S...Seriously...?!
Of all the people... someone like you killed Togami?

B...but...

WHYYYY?! WHY DID YOU KILL HIM?!

Y...You're all wrong... all wrong...
I...I was just trying to save everybody...
I was trying to stop Komaeda's plan to murder someone!
...Eh?
What do you mean... "stop him"?

I...I had been hanging out in the lodge since morning, making preparations... a...and then...
I heard a strange laughing voice coming from the big hall... and when I peeked in there...

...I saw him.
Komaeda, who was on cleaning duty, was hiding a knife under the table...!

I...I had a bad feeling, so I continued to watch him from the shadows...
He took some irons into the storage room, and then set up the air conditioner timers...
And he was snickering to himself the entire time...!
S...So I decided to confront him...

But when I did... he...!

Re: Despair-Syndrome

...Ah, seems Ive been caught.

C...Caught...?

What have you been doing? What is the meaning of this?!

Isn't it obvious? I'm planning to kill someone.

...Eh?

Hanamura-kun... Let me make this clear from the outset. It's useless to try to stop me.
Even if you manage to stop me this time, I am not going to give up.
If not tonight, itll happen tomorrow. Or the day after. I dont care how long it takes... I will start this mutual killing... no matter what.

B...But why? Do you really want out of here so badly...?!

I see... Yeah. I can see why you might think that...

But that's not it at all. I don't even expect to survive this ordeal.
All I want... The only thing I want... is to get this mutual killing going.

W...What are you saying...?

I love everyone here. That's why I want to be of help.
I love every one of you "Super High-school Level" students. I revere "the symbols of hope".

That's right... I love the talents on which everyones hopes are pinned... I love them from the bottom of my heart.
And that's why...

I don't want you to lose to something like mutual killing.
I want to prove that no matter how much despair stands in the way, hope will always win in the end.

I want to prove to everyone that hope cannot possibly lose to despair!

Y...You're making no sense at all...!

You know how the stronger our enemy is the stronger we ourselves become...? That's something you hear a lot, isn't it?
In other words... the stronger the despair that stands in its way, the stronger everyone's hope becomes. Isn't that so?

I... I want to see that kind of hope shining bright. And to that end... I want to become a stepping stone for everyone.
I want to make your hope shine... That's all there is to it...

Re: Living to the Fullest

That's right... the thing I desire is the strongest hope -- the hope that can crush all despair!

Y...You're joking, right...? There's no way you can be serious about that...!

So you don't get it after all... It's fine. I don't mind...

I don't mind if my love is one sided. I'm somewhat of a die-hard fan, you see.
Perhaps you should even call me a "Super High-school Level Super High-school Level Fanboy"!

S...Somethings not right in your head!

Is that what you think? You think... I'm a little crazy?

But... isn't that what love is all about?

K...Komaeda... what's the meaning of this?
Explain yourself! That story made no sense at all!

Compare it to your favorite boxer. You want see him keep struggling against strong opponents, don't you?

Are you trying to loving tell us thats somehow the same?!

...Eh? Is that so strange?
I mean... trials are indispensable for getting stronger, and the more rigorous the trial the stronger one gets. Isn't that common sense?

This mutual killing... would be nothing but disaster for regular, worthless people, but...
For people of worth, it is a trial that can serve to make them worth even more.

The fact that someone like myself, with no exceptional talent at all, can become part of that trial... is wonderful!
It would be impossible for someone like me to survive this... but it would be so much more worthwhile to die helping everyone achieve greatness!

There is no greater honor than to become the foundation from which you guys can grow even more worthwhile!

T...That's enough... Honestly... I'm getting nauseated...

Y...You're making no sense! You're doing all of this for kicks?!

No, it's not for kicks... But I guess that's what it would look like for all of you.

The shameless idea of leaving everyone alone and simply trying to survive our ordeal had never even crossed my mind.
Is that why... you didn't care when Hanamura found out what you were doing?

I think... it was part of his plan all along. Don't you agree?

...Eh?

Komaeda-kun wanted to get us tangled in mutual killing... and for the mystery to be as complicated as possible...
And to do that... he arranged it so Hanamura-kun would find him out, didn't he?
He hoped... to give Hanamura-kun a motive... and cause him to complicate the mystery even further...

Yeah, that's about right. I certainly hoped that would happen.
That's why I also told him about the trap door I found when I was cleaning the storage room...

...That was also you?

I just mentioned it to him casually. I warned him to be careful not to fall in...

Uuuuuuuu...

Thats... Youre... utterly... mental...

T...That's right! That's why I decided to stop him!

Then, why did you kill Togami-san in the end?

I...I have no idea!
Komaeda was supposed to be the one who grabbed the knife!
T...That's why I waited for that moment to thrust the skewer...

So why did Togami-kun die?! It was supposed to be Komaeda!
Togami... wanted to keep Komaeda away from the knife...
So... he took Komaeda's place and...

Music stops

...No. I don't think that's what happened.
...Eh?

Re: All All Apologies

I'm sure... that Togami-kun tried to protect Komaeda-kun.

W...What was that?!

I mean... didn't Togami-kun say so himself?

Don't worry. As long as I'm your leader, there will not be a single victim.
I shall lead you well. That, I promise!

Y...You mean... that in order to keep that promise...?

He had the night-vision goggles... I think he could see that someone was moving under the floor.
And also... that that someone was aiming for Komaeda-kun.

A...Are you saying that Togami gave his own life to protect Komaeda? Even though he had just been going for a weapon?

I see... He sure was amazing, Togami-kun...
He gave up his own life just so he could fulfill his promise to protect everyone...
Sigh... and even though he tried so hard...

Music halts

We still arrived at this despair-inducing conclusion!
...Wha?!

Re: Despair Syndrome

But... we mustnt let his death go to waste.
I'm sure that overcoming this despair is going to make everyone grow stronger again...

Don't tell me... you knew Togami would protect you when you enacted your plan?

...Of course not. Im not that good with plans.
I simply took many measures beforehand. I was looking forward to finding out exactly what the final product of it all would be...

What actually happened went beyond my wildest expectations. I even got to live through it!
But, I thought I mustn't let my newfound longevity go to waste...
That's why I decided to aid Hanamura-kun.
How... does that follow...?

Because... Didnt Hanamura-kun do what he did because he, too, was holding strong hope?
In other words, his actions were also grounded on hope...
That would make him someone I should pursue and desire, wouldn't it?

"An absolute hope that can conquer any despair".
I had to find out if he really had such a thing in him, so I decided to help him!
W...What the hell do you mean, 'find out'?! Give us a break!

When I guessed what was going on inside his heart, I couldn't contain myself.
I mean, he thought he was killing me, but Togami-kun ended up dead instead!
If I just left him alone in his confusion, it would be a waste of a school trial, wouldn't it?

But, if we want to make our hope grow, the school trial is indispensable.
And that's why... I decided to give him a hand!
I mean, I don't care if I die, so I thought I'd concentrate on having him escape safely.

I told him as much before we started our investigation. Didn't I, Hanamura-kun?

Uuuuuuuuuu...

In the end my power wasn't enough. An unfortunate outcome for Hanamura-kun...

But you can still puff your chest in pride, Hanamura-kun! Your death will not be in vain!

You are going to become a wonderful sacrifice so everyone can grow even stronger!

S...Sacrifice...?!

E...Enough! If I hear another word outta him, Im gonna lose it!

Oy... We can't just leave this crazy idiot alone, can we?

We should just kill him right now!

Kyaa! Kill?! You high-school students truly are a mess these days!

But, it's not Komaeda-kun who's going to be killed. It's Hanamura-kun.

...Hii?!

Upupu, you haven't forgotten, have you? That was the deal from the very beginning.
If the culprit loses... a wonderful "punishment" awaits them.

W...Wait a second...

That was... what d'you call it...? "Self defense", or "involuntary manslaughter"...
In any case... I think it's possible I'm not at fault here...

Even if it's in self defense or involuntary or even an accident, a murder is a murder!
You killed someone, therefore it's a murder!

B...But... I deserve a lenient sentence on account of extenuating circumstances... At the very least give me a stay of execution...!

This court has no such measures!!

B...But...

E...Everyone! Help me! I was just trying to stop Komaeda, and yet...!

Or maybe... you thought it was your own chance after you learned about Komaeda-kun's plan?
You thought that if you took advantage of his plan and killed him, you wouldn't get caught...
Isn't that what you really thought?

N...No! That's not true at all!

There's no way that someone with no malicious intent... would kill a person the way you did.

...Uu!!

Weren't you so desperate that you thought you could kill Komaeda-kun and live on after sacrificing everyone?
At the very least, be honest with yourself in your final moments.

Uuuuuuuuu....

UWAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

H...Hanamura-san...!

If you hadn't decided to kill Komaeda... Togami wouldn't have been killed...
Why, Hanamura?! Why did you decide you had to kill someone?!

Music fades out

Uuu...
I...I... wanted to go home... no matter what it took...

I HAD TO GO BACK HOME WHATEVER THE PRICE WAAAAAS!!

Re: Welcome Despair Academy

Because... she's waiting for me.
Mom... is waiting back in the countryside.
She's all alone... waiting for me to come back after graduating Hope's Peak Academy.

I'm leaving now!
Hoh hoh... when I come back, branches in Aoyama and Azabu won't be just a dream anymore!
Honestly, that's all you're ever talking about...
But... this isnt a pipe dream anymore... I mean, they say graduating this school promises success in life, don't they?
So... I know it will be difficult all alone... but wait for me until then...
Yes, I know.
Until that time comes... I'll do my best to keep the Hanamura Restaurant running.
I told you, you don't have to work too hard! What are you going to do if you collapse again when I'm not here?
...I'll be fine. Your mother is a strong woman.
I won't lose to any illness!
Ha ha... I know that...
I... know that...

I made her a promise...
I made her a promise that I'll become a great cook and save the Hanamura Restaurant.
Mom... is waiting for me to fulfill that promise.
She's prone to sickness... and all alone... and waiting for me.

SO I MUST GO HOME!!

H...Hanamura-san...!

And then... he said our memories have been taken away... and that years have passed since we entered that school...

If that's true, what happened to the Hanamura Restaurant?!
What happened to Mom, who's been waiting for me?!

You believed it... you believed that story...

Werent you saying this whole time you didnt believe it? That everything's alright...?
So, whyd you...?!

I...I still don't believe it!

There's no way I can believe it... it has to be a lie...

That's why I wanted to go back home!

I wanted to go back home... and see for myself that it really was a lie...

I wanted to see for myself that there was still a place for me to go back to!

Gu...! Hanamura... you...!

I don't believe it... I'll never believe it...

Hanamura... wasn't honest with himself. I think that perhaps...

...Perhaps he believed it more than anyone else.

That's why he felt he needed to deny it. He believed it, so he had to deny it.
poo poo... if I had realized sooner how he really felt, we could have avoided this!

I...I wanted to see for myself, whatever the cost may be... I had to do something...
And then... I heard about Komaeda's plan.
I knew that if I did nothing, hed kill someone...
And then... and then...

And then, you went and killed someone first, didn't you?

I'm sorry... everyone...
I didn't want to sacrifice anyone. I just... had to do something...
And yet... I ended up killing Togami instead of Komaeda...
Oh. I see.
It's me... I'm the one who went crazy.
H...Hanamura...

Hmmhmm, I see. But...

That's one boring motive, wanting to meet your mother.
...Wha!

And so...

Music halts

I see no value in prolonging this pain any longer, so let's get started with the punishment!!

Ocean Breeze Dead End

Y...You can't!!

Don't get in the way!!
Gyaaaaaaaa!!

Ah, now that I've dealt with my annoying little sister let's get back to business...

W...Wait...
I... won't ask you for pardon any more, but... at least...

I prepared a special punishment for our Super High-school Level Cook, Teruteru Hanamura!

I'm a chef! No, that's not I wanted to say!

P...Please... at least... tell me what happened to the Hanamura Restaurant... Tell me what happened to Mom...

Well, then, time to get excited! It's punishment time!

I...It's a trick... I don't believe any of it...
I... don't...!

Music stops

...MOOOOOOOOMMYYYYYYYY!!

Hanamura-kun has been found guilty. Now commencing execution...

Hanamura Tonkatsu (Now serving Super High-school Level Cook Teruteru Hanamura's Execution) (Youtube via Polsy)

orenronen fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 23, 2013

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Jesus gently caress that entire update :stare:

Everything about that whole sequence is depressing and grim as hell :stonk:

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
A bit of a tie-in to Leon's excution, at the least the opening is.
:stare: Also, being fried alive, ouch.

And we can certainly say that Nagito is completely insane. I wonder what the students are going to do with this nutjob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Poor Hanamura. :(

kidcoelacanth posted:

Everything about that whole sequence is depressing and grim as hell :stonk:

The creators definitely wanted to re-emphasize the despair theme after they kind of ran out of steam in the later chapters of DR1. I have extremely high hopes for the rest of the chapters in DR2 if this is indicative of the quality of the rest of the game.

That was gutpunch after gutpunch and really drove home how hosed up it is that a bunch of teens are being pushed into killing each other.

• Locked thread