Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

According to the translation notes on their webpage, the patch-translation uses Genocider Shou. No clue where Xenocider came from.

And honestly, I'd probably be intolerant of even Oren's translation if it was shown in a video at a snail's pace, while someone read every line out loud. Voiceless, text-heavy games in general don't work very well in a predominately video-medium. The Phoenix Wright games and a lot of earlier-era RPGs have similar problems.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

sassamifrass posted:

This has been really worrying me. Because if true, the implication is that however the "game" played out for these students (whether the whole thing was a VR in their classroom, or some mass shared hallucination) it ultimately leads to every single one of them dying. Except possibly "the traitor".

Well, this is assuming that their deaths in the school weren't faked, in order for Junko to then really take the class elsewhere to test out her new despair-inducing toys on them.

Hoping that first theory is incorrect. Gotta have survivors. Please let there be survivors. :arghfist:

According to DR:0, fourteen members of Hope’s Peak Academy’s student council were suddenly called to an overseas facility. A month later, a rumor began circulating that there were fifteen students that disappeared. Thirteen students were found dead.

Thing is, the context of the whole discussion in DR:0 was the original 'The Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History'. If Ryouko and Yuuto were talking about the events of DR:2 in this conversation, that means DR:2 is literally the original event that set this whole mutual killing thing into motion which I find fairly unlikely. Note also that sixteen people went on the DR:2 trip.

Facetious Jim fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 27, 2013

AlgoRhythmic
Mar 9, 2013

Joenen posted:

Well, not to drag the anime into this, but that's where I saw it. They also use Kibougamine and Monokuma, though I don't know if its the same group.

Using Kibougamine is pretty ridiculous yeah. I'm also wondering why stuff like "High roller" and "All-star" are used instead of just gambler and baseball player like in orens translation, it just makes no sense to me.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

AlgoRhythmic posted:

Using Kibougamine is pretty ridiculous yeah. I'm also wondering why stuff like "High roller" and "All-star" are used instead of just gambler and baseball player like in orens translation, it just makes no sense to me.

There is no other reason then them wanting to be flashy and standout. It's said as much in their translation notes.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

AlgoRhythmic posted:

Project Zetsubou thought the literal translations of most of the titles were too dry or something, they specifically wanted a wackier translation. Ishimaru actually says "bazinga" at one point.

AlgoRhythmic
Mar 9, 2013
Fair enough. I mean I can't imagine why anyone would prefer that over a translation style like orens, but to each his own I guess.

Panic Attack
Oct 29, 2012

Float like a bulldozer
Trying to catch a butterfly

bman in 2288 posted:

Wait, Xenocider Sho? What, does she kill aliens in that version or something?

The subs on the anime went from calling Syo "Xenocider Show" to "THE Xenocider Show!" for whatever reason. It's bloody hilarious. Don't think it has anything to do with Zetsubous, although the guy doing the subs did copy the Super Duper shite, I think.

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013

AlgoRhythmic posted:

Well, I'm not gonna argue about the decisions they made with the more liberal translations or the titles and such like those you mentioned. If you want to hear their arguments and reasons, they are all on display on their own site. With regards to place names, I'd usually defer to whatever makes the best phonetic sense, or possibly which is most relevant (Hope's Peak is a name fairly relevant to the story so I don't agree with leaving it as Kibougamine).

When it comes to names, however, I'm fairly anal-retentive about the matter. I use 'Monobear' since that is the norm here, but in general I really, really loathe it when character names are given literal translations. Too many kung-fu movie horror stories, especially the ones that get major theatrical releases. I swear every single female character is named 'Moon' or something equally boring in the subtitles. Names, to me, are not something to be translated, because they signify more than just the literal meaning of the words. I mean, we don't call Sakura 'Cherry Tree/Blossom' or Mikan 'Mandarin' or anything like that. So why only translate the Japanese half of Monokuma, and only that particular name? Why not the Greek half as well, and call him Onebear?

I like Onebear.

Not trying to stir the pot or anything, just saying. Not everyone is beholden to the same standards when considering what is an 'acceptable' translation or localization. HorribleSubs however, live up to their name.

Knicknevin fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 27, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Knicknevin posted:

When it comes to names, however, I'm fairly anal-retentive about the matter. I use 'Monobear' since that is the norm here, but in general I really, really loathe it when character names are given literal translations. Too many kung-fu movie horror stories, especially the ones that get major theatrical releases. I swear every single female character is named 'Moon' or something equally boring in the subtitles. Names, to me, are not something to be translated, because they signify more than just the literal meaning of the words. I mean, we don't call Sakura 'Cherry Tree/Blossom' or Mikan 'Mandarin' or anything like that. So why only translate the Japanese half of Monokuma, and only that particular name? Why not the Greek half as well, and call him Onebear?

I get where you are coming from on this, and generally agree with you, but I'm also of the opinion that those very literal name translations really add to the entire atmosphere of those kinds of Wuxia stories. In Hero, to use a famous example, you have characters called Broken Sword, Long Sky and Flying Snow and it really adds to the whole larger than life aspect of the story, with these characters being as much kind of mythic figures as people and not so much having names any more as titles. Not that such translation practices would work for everything.

I don't really care about Monokuma/Monobear either way.

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.

Joenen posted:

Well, not to drag the anime into this, but that's where I saw it. They also use Kibougamine and Monokuma, though I don't know if its the same group.

To the best of my knowledge, the majority of the copies of the subbed anime were subbed and translated by UTW (http://utw.me/ if you're curious).
It's an entirely distinct group doing the two translations.

EDIT: The main thing that bugs me is that they lacked the nuance in their translations to go the way Oren did and have Monobear refer to the students collectively as "You bastards".

Oliver Crowley fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 27, 2013

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Knicknevin posted:

I like Onebear.

Weeeeeell isn't "mono" in this case just used to mean "thing" rather than to refer to being singular or whatever? And even then, it's only here to complete the "monochrome" pun. Anyway, besides any arguments re: whether or not you should translate bits of names, I think "Monobear" just rolls off the (English speaking) tongue a hell of a lot better than "Monokuma".

I think I've mentioned this before, but the whole "You bastards" thing is pretty much the only one of Oren's major DR1 translation decisions that I would have started a big argument over had it not already been an irrevocably established thing by the time I started getting to start big arguments over Oren's major translation decisions. Even in the now defunct SHSLTranslation Patch, where we were doing major editing, I didn't dare drop it, it had just become too iconic. Don't tell anyone, but I kinda prefer Zetsubou's approach here (at least for the lines from them I've seen so far). Also, NISA's (they seem to just have him throw in insults as appropriate by context (since "Good morning, _________" and "_________ will be living here forever!" can go in different directions).

Also there was that one time in DR0 where Junko used it in the singular and it totally fell apart.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Oliver Crowley posted:

To the best of my knowledge, the majority of the copies of the subbed anime were subbed and translated by UTW (http://utw.me/ if you're curious).
It's an entirely distinct group doing the two translations.

EDIT: The main thing that bugs me is that they lacked the nuance in their translations to go the way Oren did and have Monobear refer to the students collectively as "You bastards".

If it does get an official dub, it just won't work unless Mondo is voiced by this guy. Fast forward to about 6:37. Should be pretty obvious who I'm talking about.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Fedule posted:

Weeeeeell isn't "mono" in this case just used to mean "thing" rather than to refer to being singular or whatever? And even then, it's only here to complete the "monochrome" pun. Anyway, besides any arguments re: whether or not you should translate bits of names, I think "Monobear" just rolls off the (English speaking) tongue a hell of a lot better than "Monokuma".

I think I've mentioned this before, but the whole "You bastards" thing is pretty much the only one of Oren's major DR1 translation decisions that I would have started a big argument over had it not already been an irrevocably established thing by the time I started getting to start big arguments over Oren's major translation decisions. Even in the now defunct SHSLTranslation Patch, where we were doing major editing, I didn't dare drop it, it had just become too iconic. Don't tell anyone, but I kinda prefer Zetsubou's approach here (at least for the lines from them I've seen so far). Also, NISA's (they seem to just have him throw in insults as appropriate by context (since "Good morning, _________" and "_________ will be living here forever!" can go in different directions).

Also there was that one time in DR0 where Junko used it in the singular and it totally fell apart.

The Funimation subs use "yer" like it's all slured and improper and I think it works really well, when Naegi first sees it written out and thinks "what? yer? That's how the principal is talking at this prestigious institution?"

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

QueerPope posted:

The Funimation subs use "yer" like it's all slured and improper and I think it works really well, when Naegi first sees it written out and thinks "what? yer? That's how the principal is talking at this prestigious institution?"

That scene highlights why I don't think repeatedly using the Zetsubou translation for Monobear's phrase works. I know Naegi's not known for being very bright, but he shouldn't be that confused when a pamphlet says "you guys". It's hardly offensive, and while informal, it isn't slang.

Mixing his insults up up sounds like a good way to do it, and it would let them adjust the severity of it as appropriate, from things like "you idiots" or "moron(s)" when he's just messing with them for laughs to things like, well, "you bastards" when he's trying to convince them to murder.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 27, 2013

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.

RickVoid posted:

If it does get an official dub, it just won't work unless Mondo is voiced by this guy. Fast forward to about 6:37. Should be pretty obvious who I'm talking about.

If you meant Kuwabara, I agree just on the grounds that he was Mondo's voice in my head until I got around to watching a video with Mondo actually talking. That might've been the hair similarities though.

howlsan
Apr 28, 2013

Oliver Crowley posted:

If you meant Kuwabara, I agree just on the grounds that he was Mondo's voice in my head until I got around to watching a video with Mondo actually talking. That might've been the hair similarities though.

Well, I wouldnt be surprised if the voice is the same as Kurabawa since Ishimaru and Mondo are direct references to yu yu hakusho characters.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Fedule posted:

In terms of reading the LP, I prefer Monobear, simply because there are a lot of bear puns, and I think it works. For localizations, it makes perfect sense, even if you lose the slight pun on monochrome. Sometimes its irksome listening to the Japanese script, but not so much for this. I'm more annoyed when sub groups keep using people's last names, and cut off the honorifics, in which case I feel they might as well use their first names.

As far as "you bastards" is concerned, well, let's just say I hear "bastard" more from anime dubs/subs than I do in real life conversation. However, I can't imagine Monobear without it, so stay it must!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Joenen posted:

In terms of reading the LP, I prefer Monobear, simply because there are a lot of bear puns, and I think it works. For localizations, it makes perfect sense, even if you lose the slight pun on monochrome.

Eh, I'm with Orenronen in that the Monokuma/Monochrome pun only really works if you are Japanese, the pronunciation of Monochrome in English is too different and the pun becomes pretty tortured.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Prison Warden posted:

Eh, I'm with Orenronen in that the Monokuma/Monochrome pun only really works if you are Japanese, the pronunciation of Monochrome in English is too different and the pun becomes pretty tortured.

Plus you'd have to have a translator's note going all "Kuma means bear" and that is a million times worse than simply changing one little pun.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Calaveron posted:

Plus you'd have to have a translator's note going all "Kuma means bear" and that is a million times worse than simply changing one little pun.

Honestly, as a native english speaker, the first thing that comes into my head when I see Mono-anything is Monochrome, and Monobear is clearly Monochrome, so the pun gets across fine anyway.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ikoroshia

Well, this sure is unexpected. I guess third time's the charm, isn't it, Hinata-kun and Nanami-san?
You're stalking us, aren't you.

Oh, don't say that... I simply had a breakthrough in my investigation, so I thought I'd come let you know.
A breakthrough...? Did you discover something new?

I'll tell you if you kneel down and lick my shoes.
...Huh?

...Oh, don't take me seriously. I'm just joking.

He sure didn't... sound like he was joking.

It's the footprints, you see.
You remember, right? The culprit left their footprints just outside the beach house.
Did you find out whose footprints they are?!

If you want to know, I recommend that you come back with me to the beach house.
Why...?
You won't miss it, will you?

I don't trust this guy even a tiny bit, but if I can get one more clue...

...What do you think, Nanami?
I think I'll go visit Kuzuryuu-kun. I'll ask him to tell me his story.

So, I'll leave the beach house to you.

Yeah, I think that's a good idea.
It was impossible for someone like me, but if a cute girl comes visiting he may open up.
Just be careful. He may turn violent.

So, this is where we part, Hinata-kun. See you later.

Oh? Oh! Of course! You wanted to keep hanging out with her, didn't you.
What do you mean of course...?

Let's go. I'll be waiting in the beach house, so don’t dally.

Before we go to the beach house, let's make a quick detour.

Hinata... How is your investigation proceeding?
It could've been better, I guess.

Nidai and the library... don't really fit together. Not that it really matters...

I can't believe such a thing happened again... What did Koizumi do to deserve this?!
The least we can do for her is expose the culprit and bring them to justice.

...Oh, that's right. Sonia passed by here just now...
She seemed very excited... She was going on and on about some kind of a "scoop"... and then she went back to the beach house.
She did?

Sounds like she found what she was looking for, about that mask we found next to the body.

I guess I should talk to her again.

And now, on to the beach house.

You are late.
Huh?

I foresaw your arrival...

There is nothing you can hide from me. I am a king-to-be! I have conquered the Four Dark Gods of Destruction themselves!
I know all. Allow me to demonstrate...

...I know that you conspired to indulge in an infantile beach party...!

However... All I require is silence and callousness...
That's right. That is enough for me...

He really wanted us to invite him, didn't he...

Let's go inside, shall we?

...Komaeda-san?!

Eeek! What's he doing here?!

Yo, Souda-kun... I should thank you for taking it easy with that rope back then.
Thanks to you, I was able to get out with only a bump on the head. That was Super High-school Level kind of you!

You... you...!

Nevertheless, you two got here at just the perfect time...

I’ve gotten a huge scoop! I've made a terrible discovery!

A terrible discovery...?

U...Um... I have something to say too...
I'm sure it's not as important as Sonia's information, but... I...I noticed something else...
...You too, Tsumiki?

Well! The investigation's picking up just in time for the climax!

We have several people after our attention, so let's start with the ones who didn't announce any new information.

S...Sonia-san... seems to be in unusually high spirits...

...That's fantastic! The best example of hotness where you least expect it yet!

...Not sure I really get it, but... that's great form for a princess! As expected from Sonia-san!!

...Never mind.

There is likely not much time left for the investigation.

Tsumiki returned here a while ago and examined the body. Perhaps she found something that can help?
Then, there's Sonia. She also seems to have something to say.

...I apologize, but I can be of no help this time.

Please listen! I have a huge scoop!
A huge huge huuuuuuuge scoop!
Sure, we get it. What is it?

It's all about that "Sunny Witch ♪ Esper Itou-chan" mask we found next to the body!
Yeah... the mask the culprit used to conceal their face...

No, that's not it! That mask wasn't there just for that purpose!
What other purpose could it have?

It's Kirakira-chan!
...Huh?
Kirakira-chan! The spectre of humanity’s darkest desires! The self-proclaimed warrior of justice!
A serial killer who wears hero masks from the world over, and kills criminals one after another!

Hinata-san, this is a most improper time for silence! Act more shocked at once!

This "Kirakira-chan"... isn't that the serial killer you were talking about before, Sonia?

That is certainly a hero mask, but...

More accurately, a heroine mask!
Sunny Witch ♪ Esper Itou-chan is a pretty magical girl witch!
See? A heroine!

A...Anyway... Are you saying it's possible that a serial killer murdered Koizumi?

Or, in other words... that one of us is a serial killer?

That sounds like a plot twist from some kind of weird game or something...
Don't be an idiot... Really? A serial killer? That mask's only here to keep the culprit's face hidden. That's all.

...Nevertheless, the culprit chose one really extravagant mask.
That might be true, but...

It's easy to dismiss it as simple foolishness, but I think it would be wise to stay alert.
Sonia... Can you at least tell us what you know about this... "Kirakira-chan"?

Music stops

"The time has come to don this mask, imbued with the very essence of justice, and lay bare the ugly entrails of evil..."

...Huh?

Re: Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

"Jus ・ tice ・ Com ・ plete!"
"Piercing the very night itself with the shining light of justice’s brightest star!"

"Call me Kirakira-chan!"
Um, what... was that?

That was Kirakira-chan's catch phrase... Or, at least, that's what they say it is.

A serial killer... with a catch phrase?

I read it in a magazine at the library.
Only one journalist has ever actually encountered Kirakira-chan...
That magazine printed Kirakira-chan's words as he heard them, so I just had to translate it.

Unfortunately, that journalist was also ultimately put to rest by Kirakira-chan...

...It's not the safest thing in the world to involve yourself with a serial killer.

You are the last person I wanted to hear these words from.

Um... That's all I know about Kirakira-chan.
Because of the mask, no one knows their age or sex. Kirakira-chan's existence is a mysterious one indeed...
Um... Don't you think you're jumping to conclusions way too fast here? It's ridiculous, having a serial killer among us...

No, they are not among us...
It's possible the serial killer was already hiding on the island before we got here, and killed Koizumi-san!

T...That can't be right, can it...?

I think that's the only possible explanation...
I mean... I refuse to believe any other possibility.

Music fades out

No one in our ranks could be that kind of loathsome villian...
I'll never believe it! Never!
S...Sonia...

I know just how she feels, of course, but...

But, her suggestion is just as impossible. A serial killer hiding on this island?

Ikoroshia

You said you noticed something too, didn't you, Tsumiki?
B...But, compared to other people my opinions aren't that important...
Y...You shouldn't expect too much... I don't want you to be disappointed...
You shouldn't worry. So, what is it?

Um... I did my best to examine the body, and I have some results...
As expected, Koizumi-san's fatal wound was made by a blow to the head.
It seems to have been a single blow from behind... And the weapon was undeniably the metal bat.

If there's one consolation, though, it's that Koizumi-san probably died without suffering.
What do you mean?

Um... You see...
S...She probably... I mean, she definitely... died instantly.
...She did?

That... seems important. I should probably remember it.

Evidence Bullet Get posted:

Tsumiki's Autopsy Report

Koizumi was hit from behind, and died an instant death.

I found one more thing...

Ah! I'm sorry! I spoke out of turn! Am I holding you up?
...Just tell me.

Um, you see... When I was examining the body, I found something in Koizumi-san's pocket.

"I wanted to tell you directly, but I couldn't find you so I'm putting this in your mailbox.
Regarding what we talked about earlier, how about we change the time and the location?
Let's make it 2:30 at the beach house on the second island.
I think there are people who want to interfere with our meeting.
So, let's keep this a secret, and try to avoid each other before we get there.
It would be bad if we're found out.

- Hiyoko Saionji"

T...This letter...!

If this is real, it means Saionji-san met Koizumi-san...
...And their meeting was in this beach house 30 minutes before Koizumi died.
I...I tried to think about what it could all mean...

Sniff! I couldn't make heads nor tails of it!

What does it mean? Did something happen between Koizumi and Saionji?

Letter Carried by Koizumi

Found in Koizumi's pocket.

"I wanted to tell you directly, but I couldn't find you so I'm putting this in your mailbox.
Regarding what we talked about earlier, how about we change the time and the location?
Let's make it 2:30 at the beach house on the second island.
I think there are people who want to interfere with our meeting.
So, let's keep this a secret, and try to avoid each other before we get there.
It would be bad if we're found out.

- Hiyoko Saionji"

The only person left to talk to is Nagito...

...So let's go into the bathroom and talk to Owari instead.

Hey, hey, is the rumor true? Is there a serial killer on this island?

He must be strong, right? Right? Heh heh... I can't wait!
He should come straight to me next time!!

That's not a very healthy attitude to take...

Fine, let's get on with it.

Okay, let's hear what you have to say. Do you know whose footprints these are?
And if you do, how?

After we finished talking to everyone at the airport earlier, I proceeded to a certain place.
...Or, you might say I snuck into a certain place. Well... places.

I went visiting everyone's cottages.
You did what?!

I told Monobear it was required for the investigation, so he let me in.

How can he do these things so calmly?!

Let me explain why I did what I did.

Komaeda crouched down next to the beach house's entrance, and spread several pieces of paper on the ground.

Take a look, Hinata-kun.

I mean, I went through a lot of trouble getting all these.
T...These are...!
I see... You were looking for footprints to compare...

That's right. I found footprints left in each room, and copied them.
Unfortunately, I couldn't get a complete set. Kuzuryuu-kun didn't leave his room for a second.

But it's not such a big deal. It seems we have a perfect match right here.
S...So whose footprints are they...?

...They're Hiyoko Saionji's.

Saionji's...?

If I may be entirely honest, one of the reasons I called Saionji-san to the airport was to get her out of her room.
Before that, she’d locked herself in. There was no way I could get in there...

I thought if I lured her out of there, she'll end up escaping somewhere else.

What does he think she is, a pet...?

That proved to be a very good idea.
The small footprints I found in her room fit the ones in front of the beach house perfectly.
There's no question about it. These are Saionji-san's footprints.

Evidence Bullet Update posted:

Footprints on the Beach

Footprints have been left close to the crime scene. They lead from the beach house’s beach-side door and around towards the tunnel. The footprints are Saionji's.

There is one more small thing. I found another important thing in her cottage.
...There’s more?

There was a large amount of this candy stacked in her cottage.
That's...!

Gummies. Each bag has a mix of strawberry, melon, grape and orange-flavored gummies.
It seems she got them at the supermarket... I think she's fond of this particular brand.
There are many other gummies in the supermarket, but she only stockpiled this one.

You see it often. Some people will only eat one type of potato chips.
S...So you think that's important?
No. I have no clue if it has anything to do with the murder. I just thought I'd let you know.

When he says it like that...

...I'm pretty sure he thinks it has everything to do with the murder.

Bag of Gummies

A stockpile of fruit-flavored gummies was found in Saionji's cottage. Each bag contains a mix of strawberry, melon, grape and orange-flavored gummies.

Music fades out

* ding dong ding dong *

The time for poking about is done! The time for fighting it out has come!
It’s the ultimate battle of wits for your lives! It’s the fight for your right to survive!
Who lives?! Who dies?! Who’s guilty?! Who isn’t?! It’s the second! School! Triiiiiiial!!
By which I mean... Would all students please gather at Monobear Rock!
The hidden elevator will be waiting to take you underground.
Upupupu... See you later!!

Re: Despair-Syndrome

...It's time. Seems like our investigation is over.
It finally begins. The school trial, where hope goes against hope...

But, it's all going to be okay! Whoever wins in the end, it's still hope!

Let's go and prove that!

What’re you so excited about?!
Don't bother arguing with him. Let's just go.
We'll have to deal with him in Monobear's court.

We can't run away. Our only option is to move forward.
Come.

As we exchanged those words, we left the beach house, and Koizumi's body, behind.

Re: Weekly Shonen Despair Magazine

I don't wanna! Lemme go! Somebody, save meeeee!
Waaaaaaaaah! You're hurting me!

Hey! Keep quiet, you brat! You sure are a lousy loser, aren't you!

W...Wait! You can't be violent against girls!
W...What's going on here?

It seems Saionji tried to run away, but Monobear caught her and brought her here...
And then she still tried to run away, so Monobear decided to employ the full nelson.

Keep quiet or I'll drop you straight into this island's food chain!

Uu... Sniff...

Honestly... The things I have to do...
And she’s not even the only problem here!

Where's Kuzuryuu-kun?!

He really did it, didn't he! He thinks he can just throw away our promises!
How... annoying... Ahhh.... ahhh.....

Music halts

Ahh... Ahh... Ahh...!

Re: Mr. Monobear's Extracurricular Lesson

Eeeeeek! He got so mad he hulked out!

Music stops

...If you're looking for me, I'm right here.

Re: Despair Syndrome

...Huh?

Oh, you're here, Kuzuryuu-kun. I was starting to get worried.

It's not like we can run away... We just have to accept whatever happens, don't we?
But, still...

I'm Yakuza to the core! If you're looking for someone who hates to lose, you've found them!
Kuzuryuu, what do you...

Sigh... Whatever. If it makes for an exciting trial, do as you please.
Anyway, seems like everyone's here, so let's get going!
I'm going up ahead!

Seriously... I'm still not prepared mentally...

...We don't have time for that, y'know.

If you run out of strength, use your reserves! DON'T TELL ME YOU DON'T HAVE ANY!!

Hmhmhm... The end... it begins.

C'mon, let's do our best! I'm sure we can find that bright light of hope!

That's right... We have to do it...

We have no choice!

But not before we make a final round!

I am a Yakuza. I don't run away or hide...

Koizumi-san... Why Koizumi-san...?

Waaaaaah... I...It's too much...!

I'm still not prepared... I mean... I'll never be...
But we can't just stand here forever.

...Yeah.

Monobear transformed! Ultra-shock!!

Is he the type who gets super-strong whenever he gets angry?

But... he's a teddy bear.

If you don't use your reserves here, you never will!
You aren't going to turn your back on Koizumi, are you?!

Another school trial, huh? This time we have to find out who killed Koizumi...
I can't handle difficult stuff. I'll leave the rest to you guys.

Let's go. We can't allow this mutual killing to stand.

The key to finding the truth about Koizumi-san's death... probably lies with Kirakira-chan.
No... it definitely lies there...!

...Let's go. We have no reason to waste our time here.

Why are we dallying? C'mon, let's go!

Sniff... Sniff... I...I have nothing to do with it...

You should feel honored...

You are but a mere human, and yet you have been granted a great privilege; to bear witness to the beginning of the end!

I believe in you... If you all coopewate, you can overcome any despair...

I... I will prove it to you!

Music stops

* Rumble rumble rumble...! *

Eeek! Evewy time I see it, it gets nastier! This is vulgar, ugly and in poor taste!

Every muscle in my body was stiff from fear and nerves, but I somehow managed to move them, and awkwardly climbed the escalator.

For some reason, I found myself out of breath. I almost got seriously dizzy.

And then, as the entrance to Monobear Rock closed shut around us...

The ground shook, and we began our descent.

The elevator continued on its way down, rumbling and shaking.

Inside this falling box, I felt a mixture of hope and despair.

My heart felt mushy, like a rotten fruit.

I suddenly realized I had stopped breathing.

My consciousness grew muddy from the heavy pressure.

I planted my feet firm on the floor, and somehow managed to resist it.

After a short while, the elevator gradually slowed down...

And then stopped.

Ocean Breeze Dead End

I always strive to keep my life exciting and fresh!

...And so, I changed the tapestry! What do you think? Monobear has the keenest aesthetic sense, don't you think?

I won't accept any other opinion!!

Why are you making us go through this...? What are you trying to achieve?

Does it matter? This mutual killing thing's really just for alleviating my boredom.

Your boredom?!

My goal and objective is to free myself from goals and objectives!

Having a goal is nothing but a disadvantage! People with goals are weak!
You bastards should also forget such petty goals as survival and such...

...And just enjoy this school trial to its full extent!

Re: Despair-Syndrome

It begins... The school trial begins...

Mahiru Koizumi, "Super High-school Level Photographer"...

Sure, she was a little strong-minded, but... she was really a kind, strong person.
Above all, she was always straight.

Is the person who killed her...

Tropical Despair

...Really one of us?

I don't want to believe it, but...

But, we must still find the answer, whether we believe it or not.

We have no other choice.

There's no other way for us to survive but to find the culprit.

And then, it began...

A school trial where hope and despair intermingle in a fight for our lives...

It starts now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love Owari :3:.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Hell. Yes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The sudden, fully-voiced outburst of magical girl catchphrase solidified Sonia as my second-favorite character. I hope she doesn't die, that would suck.

Also, it is really nice actually having someone who understands the ins and outs of having an omnipresent locksmith for a, for lack of a better term, caretaker. I seriously doubt anyone in the first game would have the gumption to actually call down Monobear just to check shoe sizes.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

:stare:

damns someone's been hitting up the SHSL physical trainer

also putty is gay lol owned

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 12, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gundam actually got a little adorable this update, what with the repeated 'silence and callousness...'.

So it seems likely it's going to be either Saionji, Peko or Sonia, with Kuzuuryu as the red herring. Saionji might be too obvious, though, but she is the only one who knew the change of the location aside from Koizumi, so either she killed her or someone stumbled upon Koizumi and killed her from behind while Saionji was hiding in the closet eating candy for who knows what reason.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Monobuff is amazing.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Gundam actually got a little adorable this update, what with the repeated 'silence and callousness...'.

So it seems likely it's going to be either Saionji, Peko or Sonia, with Kuzuuryu as the red herring. Saionji might be too obvious, though, but she is the only one who knew the change of the location aside from Koizumi, so either she killed her or someone stumbled upon Koizumi and killed her from behind while Saionji was hiding in the closet eating candy for who knows what reason.

The candy found on the floor was yellow, which doesn't really fit any of the flavors in the bags that we were explicitly told that Saionji ate exclusively, so I'm pretty sure that she's just a red herring.

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 27, 2013

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Man DR2 really did kick it up from DR2, I don't recall a single case in DR1 where I didn't have a solid grasp on the culprit going into the trial. Once again here I have suspicions (Peko!) but would not be overly shocked if I was wrong.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The way Kuzuryuu's acting in this update only makes me think he's trying hard to take the fall for Peko, as per my guess earlier.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The letter about the time and location change doesn't really feel very Saionji to me, the wording and style of it just seems uncharacteristic. I'm guessing it was a lure by the killer.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Was Koizumi's body moved? I know the blood goes against it, but I can't wrap my head around how she can be clubbed in the back of the head, die instantly, and end up slumped against the wall like that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kvltmanifesto posted:

Was Koizumi's body moved? I know the blood goes against it, but I can't wrap my head around how she can be clubbed in the back of the head, die instantly, and end up slumped against the wall like that.

I'd say it's almost a sure bet that the killer (or accomplice) propped her up like that specifically.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Requested_Username posted:

:stare:

drat, someone's been hitting up a SHSL Physical Trainer

Nah, Monobear is just really into P90X.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I think Monobear ate one of those sandwiches from Castle Crashers.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Welp I've basically got Saionji, Sonia, and Gundam cleared for this one. Saionji's too suspicious to be the killer (which I think holds water in this game), Sonia seemed a bit too excited about her discovery to be covering it up, and I refuse to believe Gundam is a bad guy :colbert:

Thinking its Peko for this one. She's basically contributing nothing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

orenronen posted:

I wonder what people who peeked at the spritesheet thought when they saw this.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

KasaiAisu posted:

Saionji's too suspicious to be the killer (which I think holds water in this game)

Celes.

I agree with you though, I make Peko for it.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

orenronen posted:

I think that's the only possible explanation...
I mean... I refuse to believe any other possibility.
No one in our ranks could be that kind of loathsome villian...
I'll never believe it! Never!
Well dang, that's actually a pretty sad reason to hope a serial killer's on the island. :smith:

And everyone will probably be fine speculating and reacting to the update without me adding more to the noise pool, so I'll just make an observation:

Back at the end of the first investigation, someone noticed that the elevator shot had the characters positioned a identically to the ones from DR1's elevator shot, just flipped horizontally, right down to usually putting characters of similar build (Sakura and Nidai, Chihiro and Saionji) in the same spot, with the exception of Yamada and Tsumiki, since only Togami could match the former's girth. However, DR1 had 13 characters go into its first trial, while DR2 had 15, so two characters wouldn't correspond to a DR1 characters position. Those two? Hanamura and Koizumi.

With them gone, the elevator shots now look like this:

What does this mean? Well, unless Souda really is the killer, absolutely nothing, but I just think it's a neat parallel.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 27, 2013

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So, there's two things about the trial that are basically guarantees at this point.

1) Someone escaped through the window in the beach house, after using the bottled water to wash off in the shower. Which means that-

2) They had an accomplice.

From this, and the recent update I've got three big ideas about what went down.

Saionji obviously wasn't the culprit. She was hiding in the closet, as evidenced by the gummi bear, she ran out of the house leaving a trail of footprints, and she was crying heavily and is still in shock. I'm betting that she was in the closet doing something, probably getting a swim suit, when the murder happened. She doesn't know who did it, because of the mask, but they saw her run out crying.

So the murderer knows that Saionji is leaving evidence that she was at the scene, it's easy enough to them frame them for the murder. Getting help from an accomplice, they can block one of the doors with the body, and escape out a secret way, to give the illusion that there was only one path the murderer could have taken.

Nega-Naegi was definitely the accomplice here. Not only is he the only one stupid/crazy/assholish enough to assist in a murder knowing that he will die, but he just so happens to get free right before someone is murdered, just so happens to assist in piecing together all the evidence, and coincidentally enough just so happens to give a key piece of evidence implicating the one person the murderer(s) knew was at the scence, in the exact same way they set up to imply? Gotta be him.

I'm thinking that the trial will go down with the obvious suspects doing their damnedest not to allay suspicion, in Kuzu's case because he's an rear end in a top hat, and in Saionji's case because she's just been traumatized heavily. I'd bet money it was one of the other girls from the game who is the murderer, either A-ko, B-ko, or C-ko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Now hold up there. Komaeda only said he would help someone murder him. I don't see his corpse lying on the beachhouse floor. Not to mention, do you really think Monomi would let him out for the express purpose of helping a murder occur?

• Locked thread