Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Endorph posted:

That green overcoat seems distinct enough to be a reference - but I can't place it either.

Green Overcoat? I could hazard a really insufferable guess...

Is there a thread for Time Travel though? Interesting to see what else Level-5 has worked on.

And modest searching tells me Level-5 isn't related to Dangan Ronpa at all :downs:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

TKMobile posted:

Warning: I'm probably looking far too deep into this, but it's something I wanted to point out...

So, going by the posters, there are two films Now Playing: Wild Gunman Monobear, and The Wizard of Monomi. I'm not sure which film Nagito was watching (as it's implied Time Travelers is a coming soon affair or a video game ad) or if he implied whichever, but the film posters are interesting.

I'm still trying to figure out if the Wild gunman poster is referencing a specific western(3:10 to Yuma? Unforgiven? ...Sunset Riders?), but it's pretty obvious where Wizard of Monomi's coming from. This may be a rather subtle clue; in the movie and the books, the Wizard himself was really a man behind the curtain. If Monomi's the wizard in the film, this clue could be a direct implication that someone is controlling her. However, despite being named the Wizard, Monomi's on the poster wearing the Wicked Witch of the West's costume, implying that she's a villain. Is this also a possible clue?

At the very least Dorothy/Monobear IS the character who defeats (and sort of kills) the Witch, and that actually already happened, technically.
I like this line of thought quite a bit. It might give us a hint who the "motive" is directed towards. We'd basically have to fill the role of the scarecrow, the tin man and the lion.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 10, 2013

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Clearly, this sticker purchase is going to be used to frame Hinata later when someone turns up smothered by those stickers we found in the Titty Typhoon. It's all coming together...

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Slowbeef posted:

I get all of 'em? Only found two.

Sorry for that! Won't happen again. (That was a lie)

tiistai posted:

Nice Marty McFly vest there. Makes me think the other four outfits are references too, but I don't recognize any of them.

To make things absolutely clear - Time Travelers is a Level 5 visual novel released around the same time as SDR2. The poster here is part of a mutual advertisement - TT contains a DR reference as well.

Also, TT is full of explicit references to BttF. Maybe too many of them, in fact.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Arkannoyed posted:

Clearly, this sticker purchase is going to be used to frame Hinata later when someone turns up smothered by those stickers we found in the Titty Typhoon. It's all coming together...

Please don't do this.

Anyway, while we were given some very interesting information this update, just like the last update none of it can be used to start to pinpoint motives or possible avenues of murder. But we have been given some interesting information about Hinata, namely that he is in some way tied to or even directly part of a Hope's Peak Prep. I'm not sure if this is meant to be the same as Hope's Peak Academy, though I'm assuming it isn't, that being the case the possibility that the latter influenced the former might be important. We do seem to have a slightly 'higher-class' cast this time around with an heir, princess, and world-class chef.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Please don't do this.

Anyway, while we were given some very interesting information this update, just like the last update none of it can be used to start to pinpoint motives or possible avenues of murder. But we have been given some interesting information about Hinata, namely that he is in some way tied to or even directly part of a Hope's Peak Prep. I'm not sure if this is meant to be the same as Hope's Peak Academy, though I'm assuming it isn't, that being the case the possibility that the latter influenced the former might be important. We do seem to have a slightly 'higher-class' cast this time around with an heir, princess, and world-class chef.

Something that just occurred to me - if we assume Hinata was at the Prep school, that does seem like it would support the theory that he's a SHSL Despair or someone with a similarly bad background, since that means it's possible he was involved in the uprising.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

orenronen posted:

A microwave... Heh... If Hanamura were around to see this, he’d probably get all indignant...

“I am a Super High-school Level Chef! I make the “world’s tastiest food”! How dare you bring such a pedestrian device into my sight!?”

He must have made a lot of people happy with his food... But now...

I just wanna say that this part really stuck out to me. It's been said before but it's really nice how much more developed Hinata feels as a character

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Crazy theory time: what if Hinata is a Super High-School Level Time Traveler, and this game actually takes place in the past?

Maybe once the Despairing Incident got into full swing, the surviving staff of Hope's Peak sent a student back in time to prevent the apocalypse from happening. If Hinata was from the prep school, he might have been one of the few who didn't participate in the revolt, and was chosen because the school needed to preserve the few remaining students with real talents. Of course, then Monobear (or a SHSL Despair member) was also sent back in time to thwart his efforts.

It would explain why all the technology in the electronics stores are old, and why Sonia keeps bringing up old television programs. Perhaps we're meant to think it's just because she's European and behind the times, but in actuality it's subtle foreshadowing. It would also explain Togami's presence on the island - he's not the Togami from the first game, but an older relative whom also attended Hope's Peak Academy.

This also explains the "traitor" that not even Monobear knows the identity of: Hinata is not even from the same time period as the other students, let alone the same class.

Just a crazy thought I had.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 10, 2013

Apollove
May 31, 2013
There's going to be a lot of "Time travel" theories now because of that poster, aren't there.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Apollove posted:

There's going to be a lot of "Time travel" theories now because of that poster, aren't there.

Hinata is actually Nagito's son from the future who traveled back in time and now needs to make sure his parents meet.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Devil Ed posted:

Hinata is actually Nagito's son from the future who traveled back in time and now needs to make sure his parents meet.

Nanami is actually Hinata's mother. Discuss.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Spiritus Nox posted:

Monomi is actually Hinata's mother. Discuss.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Well this can only go good places.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

So, the motive this time is being trapped in MegaMan Battle Network 4?

Monobear's evil truly knows no limits! :argh:

orenronen posted:

It's just like... You know how when there's a girl you like, and you can't wait to take her clothes off?
I mean, you really wanna check out her bone structure, right? See how her elbow joints are, or the way her bones protrude. That kinda stuff!
W... What?! That’s definitely not normal! That’s... That’s not even slightly normal!

How should I know? They never tell me the important things! I'm just here to be cute, that's all!

Y...You want 1.5 million yen...? For a sticker?
That's ridiculous! I don't even have any money!
You can pay me after you leave this island. You can always watch the movie instead, of course...
...Fine. I'll pay.

Monobear and Hinata were just fantastic in this update.

I guess that Nagito is more like Naegi than I originally thought, since I know that Naegi definitely would've just given in and watched the movie. He probably would've had that same disgusted reaction, too.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I gotta say, seeing Komaeda walk out of that theatre cracked me up, it's just such a thing for him to do to immediately go looking for the next motive.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

orenronen posted:

It's just like... You know how when there's a girl you like, and you can't wait to take her clothes off?
I mean, you really wanna check out her bone structure, right? See how her elbow joints are, or the way her bones protrude. That kinda stuff!

Huh, this kinda puts my perspective of Souda in a different manner. I mean yeah, he's being a total pervert but it...oddly reflects his talent too? I didn't really think of that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I don't know why, but I love Komaeda's irritation at being given the Mystery Despair Theater 3000 treatment. :allears:

Also, for those who are curious, according to xe.com, 1.5 million yen (at the time of this posting) is approximately $15,255.08 US or 11,280.61 euros. :v:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't know why, but I love Komaeda's irritation at being given the Mystery Despair Theater 3000 treatment. :allears:

The movie Komaeda was forced to watch is pretty obvious.

Rock climbing, Hinata. Rock climbing.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Pretty sure Souda is actually Annasui from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Calling it, next island is gonna be Disneyworld.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

There's far too many things to go :allears: at this update. wow.

This cast is great.

Fedule posted:

Yes, I have just noticed the frankly embarrassing and consistent spelling error in the first few lines. Yes, Oren has just left Skype.

Always. ALWAYS Something.

no I didn't make it I just didn't notice it oh for gently caress's sake why does this happen to me

and you guys feel like part of it all too!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I really hope there isn't some "reveal" later about those last few sentences in the file that Hinata found, because it was still extremely easy to read them and there's been more than once while playing a mystery game that I read through the "obscured" information only to have to wait for the main character to use an item instead of just figured the drat thing out.

Regardless, that is a pretty goddamn important computer. Between that and Monobear, it seems like Hinata's a prep student that was part of some uprising against the main school.

Which actually makes me excited for reading more DR:0, considering it contains both Junko and the Prep School. I get the feeling there's going to be some all-out war going on in that book.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

death .cab for qt posted:

I really hope there isn't some "reveal" later about those last few sentences in the file that Hinata found, because it was still extremely easy to read them and there's been more than once while playing a mystery game that I read through the "obscured" information only to have to wait for the main character to use an item instead of just figured the drat thing out.

Not like I actually know any of this stuff in advance, but it bears mentioning that Hinata was able to put enough of the pieces together to know that Hope's Peak Academy closed down and that a reference is made to "surviving students", which Hinata immediately assumes refers to his class - which would not be at all plausible if not for the reference to being forced to kill eachother (and of course he doesn't know about the 78th class).

All in all, I'd say you can safely file this one under "Hinata is not Naegi".

Fedule fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 11, 2013

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Poulpe posted:

Iinteresting. SHSL Diplomat? SHSL Graduate? SHSL Mediator?

SHSL Sleeper Agent, Hinata is totally Monobear's plant. He's the most suspicious one.

Oh man I hope I am not right.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

orenronen posted:

Also, TT is full of explicit references to BttF. Maybe too many of them, in fact.

One of my favourite movies ever. Is the game any good?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

orenronen posted:

I have just been to the hospital, you see...
And it seems Tsumiki-san has made a great big discovery!
A great big discovery... at the hospital?

Please, God, let it not be an excessively large syringe.

"Woah check this out! I can inject so much medicine into people now!"

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Is it bad that I want to see the movie, just to see how terrible it is?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Heliotrope posted:

"Woah check this out! I can inject so much medicine into people now!"

Hinata's actually a Super High School Level Rehab Patient, he doesn't want to fall back into old habits.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Captain Pissweak posted:

Hinata's actually a Super High School Level Rehab Patient, he doesn't want to fall back into old habits.

SHSL Heroin Addict. Hinata's the traitor to Hope Peak's anti-drug policy.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

orenronen posted:

I have just been to the hospital, you see...
And it seems Tsumiki-san has made a great big discovery!
A great big discovery... at the hospital?

Please, God, let it not be an excessively large syringe.

Mikan's TRUE talent is clearly SHSL Drug Baroness.

No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. You have not placed us in danger, Monobear. I am the danger.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

You know, I like these little touches. Shows that Hinata at least hasn't forgotten about his classmates.

And yeah, Monobear does seem to be strongly hinting at Hinata having been a prep school student.

I always find it funny how Naegi said something like "I'll never forget them! Leon, Junko, Maizono!" then basically never mentions them again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I always find it funny how Naegi said something like "I'll never forget them! Leon, Junko, Maizono!" then basically never mentions them again.

Well, to be fair, he does mention "Junko" again.

He also makes a few more references to Maizono, I believe.

But, Leon... :v:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Leon was the most forgettable character in DR1. Lets hope Hanamura doesn't suffer the same fate.
Actually, Leon is probably at the moment more memorable due to the hilariously easy way he got caught. I occasionally struggle to remember Maizono's name, though.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hazdoc posted:

Leon was the most forgettable character in DR1. Lets hope Hanamura doesn't suffer the same fate.

I'll admit, I had totally forgotten about Hanamura until Hinata mentioned him in the last update.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hinata being just a prep-school student might make some sense, given his opening monologue where he absolutely has to get into Hope's Peak. I could see someone like that jumping at the chance to get into the prep academy, regardless of the cost.

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013

Glazius posted:

Hinata being just a prep-school student might make some sense, given his opening monologue where he absolutely has to get into Hope's Peak. I could see someone like that jumping at the chance to get into the prep academy, regardless of the cost.

Would also explain his inability to remember his Talent- he simply doesn't have one. Though of course he might have some other unofficial title...

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

He's a Super High School Level Former Ultra Prep School Student.

Or SHSLFUPSS.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
He's a Super High School Level Sourpuss is what he is.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

alcharagia posted:

He's a Super High School Level Sourpuss is what he is.

Yeah, Hinata does come across as a bit of a wet blanket sometimes:

orenronen posted:

Ibuki can't wait to sink her teeth into it! ...Care for another bite?

...I'm too tired for this. I should just go explore somewhere else.

I mean, come on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, while Ibuki is an entertaining character, I'd probably react the same way if someone bit me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I would react that way but it's because I can't stand Ibuki. (Also the biting was metaphorical)

• Locked thread