Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

One is too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidgeon
May 18, 2011

:tinsley:
Kuzuryuu actually looks like he's got a cardboard cutout sprite in that screencap. You thinkin' he'd be one of the people we can talk to in the mini update?

souda is a 40 year old virgin. in-cre-di-ble.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

orenronen posted:

That's some incredible self confidence you have!
...I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not.
The current theory I think the game is trying to set up is how the Hopes Peak Prep school factors into Hinata's background and whether or not he actually deserving of any SHSL title. I'm inclined to think that he actually does have a title just one that either Monobear finds problematic (like Kirigiri's) or one that maybe Hinata is intentionally supressing himself.

In DR1 Naegi's claim to fame was him being "a little more optimistic than most people" and despite being given the title SHSL Good Luck he ultimately turned out to be SHSL Hope. Operating on similar logic, if the story paints Hinata's self confidence and cool personality as something outstanding it might mean that he does in fact have a skill; I'd guess that he is a SHSL Confidence man. I don't know how that would play into the story, but Hinata could be working with someone on the outside and have set up some kind of "long con" to take down Monobear.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Brought To You By posted:

if the story paints Hinata's self confidence and cool personality as something outstanding it might mean that he does in fact have a skill; I'd guess that he is a SHSL Confidence man.

I'm not sure that Hinata's been depicted as especially self-confident; Komaeda's claim here is just bizarre Komaeda-logic. Merely associating with Super High-school Level students, in Komaeda's eyes, is an incredibly bold and audacious thing to do if you're not on the same level as them. Hinata doesn't know his own talent (so it could potentially be something along the lines of Super High-school Level Good Luck, which Komaeda evidently doesn't consider a 'real' talent), and yet he's prepared to walk straight into a room full of talented people without even worrying about it! Like an equal! It's a level of self-confidence Komaeda can't dream of, but I don't think self-confidence is being portrayed as one of Hinata's defining characteristics anywhere outside Komaeda's head.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I think there was a horror movie that looked like this. :stare:

And it seems like Saionji is still pissed at Kuzuryuu, so there's still some conflict among the group. Perhaps that will lead to the next murder.

Flocci
May 29, 2013

Terrible and bland.
SHSL Con Man's an interesting idea, though I don't think there's much evidence for it besides an offhand comment from the resident crazy and Hinata's almost desperate desire to get into Hope's Peak. Still, if it pans out it would likely explain both who the class traitor is as well as how they got here, assuming the SHSL Con Man talent was used to talk his way into Hope's Peak rather than being formally recognized as a talent. All in all, it sounds more likely than most of the other non-Prep-School-related titles.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I think it's more likely he plain doesn't have a talent- I can see Komaeda surviving right to the end and the reveal that Hinata has managed to excel despite lacking any SHSL talent would be the ultimate slap in the face for the creepy bastard.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Is this the first time Tsumiki has used Kuzuryuu's name? Because it feels really weird to see her call him -san instead of -kun. I went back a dozen updates or so to check, but there's nothing, and I'm not even sure if she's ever said his name ever.

Also "durr-hurr Kuzuryuu is secretly his little sister and she just realized that from his medical chart."

I did notice though that Sonia's been calling him -san all this time anyway, so maybe it's just not that weird.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
drat, that's a creepy hospital. For some reason I have a feeling that just to mess with us, this upcoming murder will take place in a totally non-horror movie manner. Then again, the hospital is a 3d building, so that implies that our next murder will take place there.

...That actually made me think of something. If the hospital is the next murder location, then how does that big storage room in the club factor into everything? Maybe the body will be moved, although I don't remember if the club and the hospital are close enough for this to be feasible, or maybe we'll be looking at another double murder, if this game wants to emulate the previous one. It's not the first time it's happened, after all: in both first cases, someone tried and failed to murder someone else with a knife, and in the second, a serial killer was shown as a possible murderer but ultimately proven innocent, and the motive was a secret about someone's past.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Every alien abduction "documentary" I've seen* has at least one "re-enactment" featuring gray aliens around an operating table; I think it also showed up a few times on The X-Files. My big question is, are those automatons supposed to represent aliens, or humans in alien masks?

*I watched a lot of trashy TV in the '90s; don't judge me!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

youcallthatatwist posted:

If the hospital is the next murder location, then how does that big storage room in the club factor into everything? Maybe the body will be moved, although I don't remember if the club and the hospital are close enough for this to be feasible

Gurneys make anything possible. Especially if they have an elaborate plan to distract everyone while they're doing it, or hide it with some other action.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Clarste posted:

"durr-hurr Kuzuryuu is secretly his little sister and she just realized that from his medical chart."
Kuzuryuu is his own little sister?
In all seriousness, though, I don't see how that could work, given that the sister seems to have a sever case of dead. It's possible it wasn't actually her that was killed, but so far we've heard so little info about her that it's impossible to say.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kuzuryuu is his own little sister?
In all seriousness, though, I don't see how that could work, given that the sister seems to have a sever case of dead. It's possible it wasn't actually her that was killed, but so far we've heard so little info about her that it's impossible to say.

That's why it was a joke.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

alcharagia posted:

That's why it was a joke.

Oh, my bad. I frequently misunderstand sarcasm on the internet. And also in life, in general.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

Perhaps... Pekoyama-san shielded him with her body, in order to save him.
What?! She managed to do that while being attacked a million sword-wielding puppets?!
She must have been really intent on protecting him...
For someone like Pekoyama-san... I don't think that's such an impossible feat.
Yeah. I think that's really what happened. That's what we should believe happened.

That last line there struck me as interesting. Why is it so important to Nanami that the others believe this version of events?

(Also, it's worth noting that this isn't the first time Nanami has suggested that someone sacrificed themselves to protect another person.)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Oh, my bad. I frequently misunderstand sarcasm on the internet. And also in life, in general.

That's what the durr-hurr was for, lurk more!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

That last line there struck me as interesting. Why is it so important to Nanami that the others believe this version of events?

(Also, it's worth noting that this isn't the first time Nanami has suggested that someone sacrificed themselves to protect another person.)

Well, Nanami has been against mutual killing so far, so it's not absurd to believe that she'd want to bring everyone together by pointing out what they've lost as a result of the game.

KynElwynn posted:

Was it in Fire in the Sky?

That sounds about right.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 19, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

I think it's interesting too, but for now it could just be that Nanami's self-aware enough to realize how real a danger the group's in of falling into fatalism, panic and DESPAIR, just like Monobear wants, and is trying to keep people's spirits up.

That said, it is something to keep an eye on.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I like that the current protagonist is not a neutral pushover like in the first game. That said, the creepy broken thoughts in the intro when he sees the school and the lack of memory make me think something weird is brewing. I'd put good odds on him being the traitor this time, unknowingly: a SHSL Manchurian Agent, if you will.

Also, the Monobear medical staff pics are just asking to be turned into ironic Obamacare gifs.

KynElwynn
Jul 24, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Was it in Fire in the Sky?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...I kinda want an Av of this. If anyone decides to make an Avatar out of this, I will definitely snap that poo poo up.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

...I kinda want an Av of this. If anyone decides to make an Avatar out of this, I will definitely snap that poo poo up.

:effort:

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013
I will be honest, the realization/revelation that Pekoyama really did keep Kuzuryuu from getting more seriously hurt (and the fact that Kuzuryuu knows it) made me get a little choked up.

I mean, what? It's totally rain on my face.

Also, Nanami has kind of been fulfilling the SHSL Hope role here instead of our protag, so that's what I took that to be. She's the one rallying the others, saying they should believe their friend died a hero.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Spiritus Nox posted:

That first one was a bitch to get under 30kb.

CecilHoshino
Oct 2, 2013

Mm. Yes. Quite amused.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, I really hope the game doesn't milk the "OH OWARI AND NIDAI ARE SPARRING AND THEY MAKE IT SOUND LIKE THEY'RE loving" joke for too long, unless they put some sort of spin on it.

I wanna give the game the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not going to make the punchline THAT obvious. They pulled some blatant stuff in the past, but this fruit is way too low hanging.
Maybe the game wants us to assume that sparring will be the punchline, and use THAT was the bait and switch.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

orenronen posted:

Huh?! Are you saying you look up to warriors of justice?!

Metal Gear Rising / Dangan Ronpa crossover confirmed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CecilHoshino posted:

I wanna give the game the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not going to make the punchline THAT obvious. They pulled some blatant stuff in the past, but this fruit is way too low hanging.
Maybe the game wants us to assume that sparring will be the punchline, and use THAT was the bait and switch.

I'm...honestly not sure what this post means to say. Or if it understood what happened. Yes, the fruit is low hanging...and they already took it despite that. The joke has already been made. The game is talking about them sparring and making it sound like they're banging. What are you talking about?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

orenronen posted:

I can hear voices from behind this door.

... And of course, Monobear leaves Kuzuryuu in room 4 to recover. That's about as subtle as a brick to the face.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

W.T. Fits posted:

... And of course, Monobear leaves Kuzuryuu in room 4 to recover. That's about as subtle as a brick to the face.

So you're saying he's gonna be the 4th victim? Am I missing something?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think Fits is pointing out how, in Japan, the number 4 is typically related to death.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Much obliged.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

orenronen posted:

...What fools these mortals be.

What was this line in the original Japanese?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think Fits is pointing out how, in Japan, the number 4 is typically related to death.

Got it in one. 'Shi' is 4 and also death in Japanese. Hospitals don't even have a fourth floor here a lot of the time.

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm...honestly not sure what this post means to say. Or if it understood what happened. Yes, the fruit is low hanging...and they already took it despite that. The joke has already been made. The game is talking about them sparring and making it sound like they're banging. What are you talking about?

I think he's saying he hopes that they are banging and the game is being blunt assuming we'll think it's talking about sparring.

CecilHoshino
Oct 2, 2013

Mm. Yes. Quite amused.

Oliver Crowley posted:

I think he's saying he hopes that they are banging and the game is being blunt assuming we'll think it's talking about sparring.

Exactly that. I mean, maybe not banging, but something semi-intimate, and certainly not sparring. I mean, that's too obvious.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
There was a part last chapter where Owari mentioned that she got massages (from her step mother's boyfriend....), so maybe Nidai has been giving her massages, and he does it much better, being a SHSL Coach and all. As evidence to support it, she mentions her body getting tingly, which I could see someone feeling when anticipating a massage.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Wait, wasn't Souda in the scene where Owari came in all bloody and said she'd been sparring with Nidai?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Justin_Brett posted:

Wait, wasn't Souda in the scene where Owari came in all bloody and said she'd been sparring with Nidai?

This is Souda, he's not a rational human being.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yup, Four = Shi = Death. Most Hospitals in Japan just use fourth floors for storage or something NOT related to patients or medical procedures or surgery or what have you, as I've been told...

I hope MB is just loving around at Kuzuryuu's expense, because to a Japanese player, that would probably come off as a huge faux-pas and too obvious of an indicator for it to mean Kuzuryuu's about to die. ...Probably.

Honestly, I'm worried for Akane, Nidai but most of all: Tsukimi. Of course, the game's been heavily implying trouble heading to the pair of bruisers, but now she's alone, in the gently caress Creepy Hospital, with all of her attention on the invalid mobster as everyone else bails. (also, good job guys on that. Have you learned nothing???)

This paints a much more dangerous red over her than the other guy staying in room #4, or the simpleton who wants to go kung-fu one of the remaining death robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Actually, my guess is that Nidai was massaging Owari (in a non-sexual way obviously). It's something that would feel really good and also be reasonable for a coach-like figure to do to an athlete.

• Locked thread