Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tarranon posted:

Rather I'd say it is pretty sociopathic, but it's still normal because a lot of kids are basically sociopaths. And then they grow out of it.

Seriously kid morality is loving terrifying.

Except she's not a kid, she's in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'll just cast one vote for my favorite, Gundam. I like everyone else equally, so I'm happy with whoever the second is!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Suspicious Dish posted:

Just because a voice actor is in it, doesn't mean it's "mainstream". Dan Castellaneta, the voice actor for Homer and a bunch of other The Simpsons characters, voiced the starring role in Eek! The Cat, but you've never heard of it.

I have. I loved that show.... :smith:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You know what? Don't just spoil the thing. Love it to death.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ArfJason posted:

Someone said something about taking Gundam seriously.
How can anyone take this guy seriously.
His name is loving Gundam.

As opposed to the totally normal name of Sonia Nevermind?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Saionji is such an daily detestable character, and if that's what they were going for then its very effective.

And I know it's a wasted vote, but I still voted for visiting Komaeda. I think he's the most interesting person on the island right now, and the last time we saw him to bring him food was very interesting.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bifauxnen posted:

You and me both, this is reminding me of Australians who don't even realize they have Instant Runoff Voting.

Always Vote 1 Komaeda. :colbert:

Exactly. Plus, I wont't put it past the game for it to turn you away twice, and then fake you out later and have Hinata actually work up the courage one of these times. Plus I don't actually care who else wins, so whatever, it's all good. But this is a derail.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So Souda just went full creepy ADTRW Goon. I really hope he doesn't last much longer, because his character just got really weird and creepy and not in an interesting way.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Nanami is acting wildly out of character, and that's making me suspicious.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
In the last trial Nanami still had long pauses before bringing up her points. She's never been so quick and active that I can remember. I could just not remember and am probably wrong though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ettin posted:

Nice one guys. This is like, SHSL Speculation.

You're a credit to this thread.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GeneralYeti posted:

This brings up an interesting point. If someone, let's say Souda because it seems like something he might be able to do, sets up a Rube Goldberg trap that kills another person that sets it off, is he the killer, is it a suicide, or is it classified as an accident? That might be some variation of the locked door murder.

Monobear specifically said he considers accidents to be murder.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

tiistai posted:

Several times and pretty much since the beginning.

In fact the entire "Guys, guys, I just thought of something... what if it's a computer simulation?!" thing has gotten incredibly tiring. Honestly I believe that talk of anything AI related should be probatable because the topic has been mined to death, and until we get actual information to support it people are just going to keep bringing it up over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

jacyndaquil posted:

Though I don't have many definite suspicions regarding who the actual killer is, I do heavily subscribe to the theory that Saionji and Koizumi were lovers of some sort. I feel like it would be an interesting plot twist, without using the ol' "so-and-so is also a serial killer!!!" that we've already seen. If the note was really written by Saionji, then it would explain the ending statement about being "found out."

Plus maybe the killer was homophobic. Who knows, I'm just spitballing here.

The game has never referenced sexuality in this way for any reason, much less the justification for murder. Don't be creepy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You know, if you look at it that way, it probably does seem kind of stupid that there even is a paywall. If they really do just think it's a forum about Dangan Ronpa, and nothing else, it'd be kind of crazy to charge anything to post let alone ten bucks.

Don't make excuses for their insanity, just leave them to wallow in it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

slowbeef posted:

Monobear logic really isn't a great thing to draw conclusions from. We had a murder trial for a suicide in the first game; there really wasn't a culprit, and there was no one to "win" if they'd "gotten away with murder." Hell, if you want to be technical, Teruteru only murdered Togami because Nagito gave him the opportunity to, and Nagito is certainly an accomplice to it.

Honestly, if you want to get technical, really anyone with enough leverage could kill someone with a metal bat in a single blow. If you're Saionji, you might need to get on top of something and get gravity to help you. That's stretching it, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. With similar logic as "strength of a single blow", you could also say Celes shouldn't have been able to take out Yamada with a single hammer strike, especially considering he had a height advantage on her, and she wasn't particularly strong.

It's one of those things where it could or could not be a factor (Togami's wounds not appearing in a single line as we'd expect, didn't factor into his murder.)

Really trying to meta-game Dangan Ronpa isn't going to get anyone anywhere. It'd be better if people sticked to what we know in game, in chapter, without trying to second-guess the game three or hour trials down the road. All that that is going to lead to is a poo poo-ton of confusion and a handful of people saying "See! My post 13 months ago was right! Wee-heehee!"

We're on Case 2, people! Solve Case 2, not Case 2 and the Overall Plot at the same time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MagentaMagpie posted:

Hello, I just joined but have lurked since the early days of DR1.

I apologize if this has been noted previously, but the yellow gummy could have been on the floor simply because Saionji discarded it since it wasn't one of her preferred flavors.

Also, not sure if this is relevant or not, but there is a samurai weapon called a Kanabo, which is a large, baseball bat-esque type of weapon.

But I think Peko trains specifically in kendo only, which is just swordplay. She's a swordswoman, but that doesn't make her a samurai. Just like learning Krav Maga doesn't make you a part of the IDF.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If Peko is the culprit and wants to protect Kuzuryuu then why the hell would she shift the blame to Sanoji instead of admitting she did it? If everyone voted for Saionni Kuzuryuu would die. If she had done it on behalf of Kuzuryuu she'd be admitting to it right now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Exactly. Whatever motive for the murder, it was purely selfish. Another thing I thought of; what if Saionji tried to frame herself by leaving a gummi she didn't eat, giving her a false flag that she could deny? It's a longshot, but not outside the realm of possibility.

-EDIT-
Made myself more clear.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 14, 2013

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

StrifeHira posted:

Come on Sonia, it was obviously Brainless Randy, not Killerman!

OK so it probably wasn't Saionji, as she'd be the "too" obvious choice, but she's DEFINITELY hiding something.

But what current suspect isn't "too obvious"? Kuzuryuu is "too obvious" because of the game. Peko is "too obvious" because bats are too similar to swords. Saionji is "too obvious" because of the gummy. And yet people use these theories to indicate those same three people. Right now I think it's safe to say only one thing; no one is obvious enough to indicate yet. There's still one or two missing elements to point to an actual murderer. I'm not saying that conjecture is bad, but for now that we need to admit it as such, conjecture.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

kidcoelacanth posted:

So, what, any time someone gets bludgeoned the sword person gets blamed? Vague weapon similarities do not an obvious suspect make. The only reason Peko is suspicious is because cool and attractive posters like me have reasoned out why she's the most likely suspect (a theory which I feel is only getting stronger as more time goes on).

"Saionji couldn't have killed someone with a bat, it must be someone good with swords!"

So yes. Someone is bludgeoned so the sword person gets blamed, and the fact she is "the sword person" is really the best (and only) piece of evidence besides "she was also wet". The theories indicating Peko aren't getting stronger, they just haven't been specifically contradicted by the game yet. It still ignores that Peko has no plausible motive.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

John Dyne posted:

Motive is not really a strong concern in this game simply due to that reason. Every single murder in DR1, and for all one of the murders so far in DR2, was because someone wanted to escape the situation they were in and took the route offered to them via murder. They always had reasons they wanted to escape, but the main factor was simply they wanted to leave the island.

So with a strong motive for basically everyone

But it's not a strong motive for everyone anyone, and if it was a strong motive for some people that motive was specifically removed; for example if Kuzuryuu's sister really was killed before then he doesn't remember it and pretty obviously doesn't want to accept it. But people like Maizono and Celestia both had specific reasons to want their lives back; Maizono couldn't afford to be missing when her life was literally built around being in the public spotlight 24/7, and Celestia wanted her money back and to get her lifestyle back. The game hammers pretty hard that people don't want to get back to their old lives because they don't remember them unless it was ingrained into them and were the center of their personality. But Peko's swordsmanship isn't who she is, it's just what she's best at, and in the main game (not counting free time events since those are missable) she hardly talks about it at all. Same thing with Saionji, she mentions what she that she's a kimono dancer when introduced but beyond not knowing how to tie her bow it's not a huge part of how she acts.

You're absolutely right that the motives are never truly revealed until the investigation though, and that's also partly what I'm saying. The most important clue, the motive, is always kept hidden. So people saying "Aha! The trivial detail slight indicates [person x] proves they were the killer" are stupid.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

kidcoelacanth posted:

My guess is still Kuzuryuu, because that a) gives Peko a motivation (she's helping him with revenge) and b) gives her a way out of the window.

If she were helping Kuzuryuu the why the hell would she try to frame Saionji which would get Kuzuryuu killed? Why would Kuzuryuu go with a plan for revenge that gives him no chance of survival?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Van Dine posted:

Maybe they could. When Hinata was impressed by her working out the code, Nanami said "Being a gamer has nothing to do with it. It's just... you either figure out the hidden message or you don’t". That could be read as Nanami simply over-estimating the abilities of a non-gamer, but I took it to mean that it's entirely possible for a person who isn't an experienced gamer to guess the code.

Puzzles, brain-teasers, ciphers, and codes do exist outside of video games, after all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LukanFox posted:

Therefore, when the evidence bullet states 'the only way to reach it is by standing on someone's shoulders', it means that at some point, somebody stood on someone else's shoulders to reach it, end of story. If a tool was used to reach it, then the evidence bullet would have said 'the only way to reach it is by using a tool of some kind' instead. Since the game has directed us away from this path, it goes against the rules of fair-play investigation to say, 'This piece of evidence explicitly says this, but what it really meant to say is this other thing that could have been stated more directly'.

Also, let's dismiss the idea that the killer left through the front door once and for all. If the killer left through the front door after killing Koizumi, either they used a complicated tool to pull Koizumi's body to the door, in that position, which left no evidence behind, or one of either Saionji or Kuzuryuu (who I'm pegging as the two witnesses until someone presents evidence to override me) deliberately set-up her body in front of the door, leaving Kuzuryuu to get out of the window by himself and Saionji to flee from the back door leaving evidence of her presence behind, and would also get one of them with clothes covered in blood which wouldn't be washed off with water so easily and would have been noticed by somebody.
Since we have no traces of either happening and no evidence bullets regarding how to do so without leaving a trace, it didn't happen unless further notice comes in the form of evidence that comes completely out of left field during the trial.

Oh, well poo poo guys we better just pack up all conjecture ever so we don't violate the "golden rules of adventure gaming". You just can't argue with bold text. It is always factual and 100% literal.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Clarste posted:

I'll just say this flat out: Saionji can't be the killer because she's a jerk. That's just not how these stories work. Add on the fact that she's being fingered at the very beginning of the trial, and by someone other than the player, and this makes her 99% innocent.

Meta game logic theories are really the worst theories.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

They're also pretty reasonable, especially if you go back and look at the general flow of trials in Dangan Ronpa 1.

Saionji is just a douche and we're going to find out what she's hiding, which will in turn put us on the trail of the actual killer.

Ah yes, just how in the first game the Idol was going to make it to the end because she was the love interest! :pseudo:

This series subverts expectations just as often as it follows them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

lambj3 posted:

This might be stretching it a bit, but isn't Peko sort of like a ninja? Maybe she used some kind of ninja skill to somehow reach the window. Can't be the worst theory out there, right?

Peko is a ninja in the same way that a judo master is a ninja. Japanese Martial Arts =/= Ninja. I know that people like to just give Peko whatever power is convenient to their theory but seriously, come on people. Let's take some time to actually think about the theories we post instead of all rushing to be the first to think of whatever outrageous theory comes to our heads and clogging up the thread with the most out there things we can think of.

-EDIT-

Is there a way we can leave the thread open for, say, three or four days after an update and then close it until the next update? Otherwise the theories just get downright terrible. Just awful.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

lambj3 posted:

I looked up ninjato and there is in fact a technique where ninjas stand on the hand guard piece to extend their reach, who says Peko couldn't have done that with her shinai?

Because it's a different loving weapon? Seriously, how stupid are you?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Because bamboo and steel have the same tensile strength, and of course neither of them have any give. But yeah, you just stick to your guns. There's no way you'll look stupid as hell later. :jerkbag:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It looks like we might have a second investigation phase now. Either that, or this is just a mid-trial save. In any case, any theory involving Saionji is bunk. So let's all try to keep our heads and not just post the most asinine ideas that pop into our brains.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Maybe I'm looking too much into things, but that seems almost like she was reacting in a bit too much surprise.

... she said one word. Literally one singular word. Yeah, I think you just might be looking a tad too far into things!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Broand posted:

Peko could have gone to get revenge on behalf of Kuzuryuu's sister, and she could have protected Kuzuryuu in honor of that.

Peko and Kuzuryuu have absolutely no connection besides "Peko went to go get Kuzuryuu a few times". Beyond that there is nothing, and people should really stop taking for granted that there is a major relationship or connection between them when there is no good reason to assume that there is.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CandyCrazy posted:

While most of that's pretty good (especially HelloWinter's work), I am horribly disappointed that you replaced Leon's stream of "retarded"s with "La la la". :colbert:

Would it be possible to create a ZIP file of HelloWinter's work? It'd be a waste to let any of that go unseen.

Can no one just be happy with a massive translation project? Really?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dr. Buttass posted:

I have Ideas about how writing crazy people is supposed to work and Genocider Syo violates most of them.

So? Jesus, what is up with people in this thread and having massively over-inflated opinions of themselves and their views of the narrative?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Only in Something Awful could you have a fairly decent conversation about anime characters with a guy referring to themselves as Dr Buttass.

"Fairly decent" being rather subjective.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LukanFox posted:

(Yeah, I've got mental health issues, but everyone here already knew that, right? And this being Something Awful, well...)

I really think you need to lurk more, because poo poo like this can get you probated.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LukanFox posted:

Big block of :words:

You don't seem to have a great grasp of what "keep a lower profile" actually entails.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LukanFox posted:

(Although knowing that doesn't help me feel the slightest bit less impatient unfortunately, hence my compulsion to make a post every day or so.)

Compulsion or no, you need to read the forum rules because that's no excuse to making GBS threads up he thread constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Spatula City posted:

Also, the accomplice is obviously Kuryuzuu. Why? Another mystery, but he's either the first or second body discoverer.

If you can't say why, then it isn't obvious. :ssh:

• Locked thread