Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Kirigiri + Fukawa?

I like it.

Actually there's a lot of mirrored designs here, either that or a lot of these character's faces resemble those of the previous game, that's probably just the art style though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

quote:

Heart-thumping... Field Trip...?

Figures that Togami is concerned about matters concerning his heart. It's a nice touch that they kept his poses more or less the same from the previous game.

I hope he proves to be as competent as he was last go around.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Animal breeder huh? I could've sworn someone in this game was a SHSL Ninja and that it was him.

Judging from the character art I'm hoping he's got more than hamsters up his sleeve (read: muffler). Maybe he'll domesticate some of the island's local fauna? I'm also wondering if that gray eye of his is non-functioning somehow, I mean he has that huge scar going right over it and it is a different color. Most likely just a design choice and not anything story-related, like his bandaged arm.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Well, that's two emasculating characters who are giving Hinata poo poo for not being enough of a "man." I can't imagine what they'd think of our heroine Naegi.

As someone mentioned earlier I was also getting Chihiro vibes from Kuzuryuu, if only from the way he looked; saying that he's cute and has a baby-face is more than enough explanation though, it wouldn't seem right to play the same trick twice in a row.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

quote:

Nice to meet you too, CUTS-THROUGH-FOG, Kirigiri that is. :colbert:

If something as simple as an introduction can tire out Nanami I can't imagine her being too active in the way or murdering people. This of course means she'd be easy pickings if it ever came to that.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
So, Togami's murder-room from DR1 really was the Incident-That-Must-Not-Be-Named then, huh?

I'm more curious about Matsuda now, he's obviously some kind of gifted scientist, but what is it about him that allows him to command such influence, why exactly can he intimidate these rigid figures? I would've thought the Heads of Hope's Peak would be some of the coldest most intimidating people around. What's his SHSL talent is what I'm asking, basically.

Oh and here's something to note, 13 victims and 2 survivors, that makes for a nice familiar number of 15, doesn't it?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Baita posted:

Extra guess: The person who found the crime scene/room was probably Ryouko?

This could probably work seeing as the Head wants to keep this incident under wraps, but at the same time it contradicts their wanting to figure it out themselves so as to better hide it. If they suspected her I don't think they'd urge Matsuda to abandon his treatment/project just yet. It's best to just wait for the next few updates, I feel like these are things that are just waiting to make themselves known and not actually part of the big mystery. It's not so much the "who" but the "why" that this game seems to drive towards.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Ah, spoilers. I think I may have accidentally spoiled myself on a character in a pretty big way. It happened to be in fanart for an unrelated show, and the artist thought it would be a good idea to incorporate a DR2 character who I assume shared certain characteristics as was the theme of the cross-over fanart.

It's not so bad that I know this now, because what matters most is the "why" and "how." If you had told me that Chihiro was going to die before s/he did I wouldn't have minded, because when it finally happened it was far beyond what I expected would happen (the whole Alter Ego thing).

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

quote:

Until he shows me otherwise, this guy is my favorite character, brazen creep that he is, he's just so stylish and slick. I have a feeling he'll be the main contributor of this script's humor, as crass as it may be in his case.

Now Sonia on the other hand, I hope she isn't as naive as these minutes with her have shown, otherwise she's setting herself up for disaster. Her sense of royalty reminds me of Celes' self-imagined sense of royalty and how it was more or less a cover-up for her morbid intentions, I wonder if this'll be the case with Sonia as well.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Huh, I thought it was Togami giving Togami a piggyback ride, not really inappropriate.

On a completely different note, I want to say I like Usami's manner of speaking, not the baby talk but the matter-of-fact way she says everything, like "magic stick" and her off-key analogies. I hope she gets some of those monologues Monobear used to do at lights out.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

quote:

Ku... Guy can speak, I'll give him that. Heirs, man... He sure is something.

Oh god, I can see it going down already.

And what an entrance, who else but Monobear? Now that he's back in the picture I'm dying to know how Togami deals with all this.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

orenronen posted:

And as I sat alone in my room, an incomprehensible thought occurred to me...

A traitor among our ranks...

It has to be... someone who is different from the others, right?

Perhaps... someone who can’t explain - who can’t even remember - their own special talent?

Oh hell yes, please let this be the case. A game in which you play antagonist in this type of universe would be amazing. I wonder about the amnesia though, obviously the traitor wouldn't have given him/herself self-induced amnesia on some Liquid Ocelot type poo poo, right? Given that our protagonist's thoughts are readily available to us it doesn't make sense he'd be traitor.

Maybe this is too obvious, and I hope this is the case, but I think choosing someone like Hiyoko to be the traitor would be great. A kind of "too obvious to be it" to try and throw off the scent?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Hella Sonia is the best thing.

I'm hoping the game's throwing a curve ball at us with Babyface's DR1 Togami-esque lone wolf attitude, this game ain't big enough for another Togami, the one we have is big enough already. I also wonder, is it too early to suspect anything of SHSL Good Luck flubbing up something as simple as drawing lots?

I wish Monomi was eligible for Free Time, her role is far from established and her motives (though she continually restates them) don't come across. What's her deal? Is she going to continue to supply our cast with tidbits of beneficial info via slip of the tongue and general incompetence? I wouldn't mind that, while Monobear stays behind the scenes pulling all the strings Monomi tries her best to spread goodwill among the class but will continually get dumped on by Monobear, despite being indestructible. But then the question arises in that who is behind Monomi? We found out last game that Monobear ended up being some self-aware AI of sorts after Junko had perished, could the same be said of Monomi? It's not far-fetched as the last game itself established two perfectly competent AIs.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

orenronen posted:

Even I... was once powerless. But now... now is different.
Throw away your past self. It means nothing.

Well that's very convenient for you, isn't it game? :colbert:

So not only is there one deus ex machina explanation but two, either Togami was memory-wiped like everyone else or he really just shut out the past and refuses to acknowledge it, out of pride or something.

edit: I think it's really funny that Sonia's knowledge of Japan seems to all come from pop-culture, moreso that she'd actually expect their situation to play out like a TV drama.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 13, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

a spooky ghost posted:

So what you are saying is that the island is actually the Big Shell?

Obviously, Togami being Fatman, Akane being Fortune and Chiaki being Emma, Nagito obviously playing the role of Raiden what with the white hair and all. :v:

I'm wondering why we haven't, or anybody else for that matter, seen Babyface in quite a while; the only person who's had any communication with him just left the room with all kinds of weapons in a box and a (training) sword on her back and has sole access to the power for this whole lodge. Also Togami why would you let people out of your sight with such nonchalance when that defeats the entire purpose of this whole get-together?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
So all that talk about saving everyone and being a noble leader ended up meaning nothing, either Togami really was going to draw blood or someone arranged it to look that way. Either way this means there's a trial incoming which also means we're about to lose another character, it finally begins.

Also what did Souda mean when he said "search me," did he have something else aside from the wrench on him or was he just being cheeky? I was going to mention the knife and connect it to the kitchen knife count but realizing it was Togami doing the counting it's natural he'd skip the last knife. Then there's something green on the knife handle and some part of the table cloth, what could be green that would cause those stains? Well, the incoming investigation should clear this all up, I'm hoping Togami didn't actually have murderous intent because if he did and the act prior to all of this was part of it, I must say it's quite stupid and almost predictable as others have already mentioned, unfitting for the genius heir of the Togami name. :colbert:

edit: As someone mentioned above, the floorboards trap door idea sounds promising, quite some fuss was made about the floorboards and bathroom and I think it makes sense to link the two.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 20, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Joenen posted:

I hate to ask this style of question but after reading these past few pages....

Am I the only one that thinks its just "her time of the month?"

I'm not trying to be crude or anything but well....

Ultimately I don't think she's the culprit.

I thought this as well given Nagito's statement. I mostly don't want her to be a suspect because we've yet to learn anything about Kirigiri MK. II yet, I'm hoping she'll use that sword at some point and live up to her predecessor's namesake.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Requested_Username posted:

I think people are forgetting the absurdity of the fact that people felt that a video game played by someone else on the internet was so meaningful for them that they actively desire to pretend that they're re-enacting an alternate version of that game with other people.

It's like adding another degree a separation. Play the game? I can't it's in Japanese, I'll just read this thread made by a guy who played it. What, not enough? Let's write up our own fiction and further distance ourselves from the source material by playing pretend with our 2 dimensional (both literally and figuratively) characters. I hope no one makes fun of us for it. :spergin:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Armanky posted:

Youtube also does this thing now where it randomly offers videos you "might like" pretty much anywhere they list videos. So you could be watching your favorite Naruto and suddenly notice the video in the sidebar titled "IBUKI EXECUTION!!!". Recommended because you've watched Dangan Ronpa videos!

This feature is stupid and I hate it.

Here's a tip though, clear your viewing history on youtube and pause it immediately afterward. I think that should more or less fix it, the only sidebar videos I get anymore are from the uploader whose video I happen to be watching at the moment. I'm not sure if it's different for other people, and you can't really trust youtube's stupid video advertising tactics so it's not a surefire deal. Still, it's probably a better idea to just stick with Polsy.

edit: I just checked, apparently I still get related videos, same game/show/cartoon different uploaders etc. What it does work for I think is the "What to Watch" tab on youtube's homepage as I only ever get my own subscriptions to show up. I really don't understand how some of these features work. As I said above it's probably safest to use Polsy.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 27, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Kirigiri looks like a T-Rex there with those whacked out proportions.

I've also noticed that a lot of detail goes into the hands, it usually ends up looking a little strange as someone earlier mentioned Komaeda's close up. Either they have really muscular legs, or hands that could tear a phone book in half. (See: Sonia and Saionji's official art on page 1)

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 3, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

orenronen posted:

That said, the man definitely has a thing for thighs, and was personally blamed in several interviews for the increased bust size of a large portion of the DR2 female cast.

I know what you mean, even Togami's bust size has increased. :v:

Anyway, aside from the sameface most of the female cast suffer from I'm glad every character has distinctive, to say the least, hairstyles to make up for it. Clothes and hair seem to be his forte. Even the school uniforms we see for all of one shot or so seem to be given enough detail as to where each character has their own take on it.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 3, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
How about Yamada? I mean, there's really no explaining his physicality (or personality) other than caricature.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

quote:

Hey, Komaeda-kun... I'm sorry, but can you please stop talking?

Thanks for saying what's been on my mind for the last couple of updates. Sassy independent SHSL Gamer who don't need no man is quickly becoming one of the more competent characters and among my favorite. Here's hoping her role plays out much like Kirigiri's did in the previous game.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
You know, I thought Junko was cool because she was such an outlandish nutcase and her multiple personalities were really fun to watch, but that's also because she was introduced so late in the game. Komaeda's trying to do the same thing here and I think it's fine, but being introduced so early on I can imagine how grating the trials will become when he goes on his rants and I hope he dies soon if only so he doesn't pad out the script with the same repetitive platitudes.

Also, RIP SHSL Cook Chef Hanamura. :911:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Mercury Hat posted:

*Translator's Note: Odanjyoubi omedatou means happy birthday.

Ehh, I've seen worse.

(I certainly wish I hadn't, though)

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Kaasen posted:

I think the best part of this trial was that unlike in the first game, it introduced a wild card in the form of Nagito so early. I can't wait to see how the kids deal with him and how his presence will influence future events.

Coincidentally I thought this was the worst part. Most everybody loved Junko in the last game, right? I think it was great because she was introduced so near to the end, but reading some of the responses to Junko in the DR0 text-dump I'm beginning to think people would grow tired of such an outrageous character in such saturation. Introducing Komaeda as a nut this early makes me think there will be a lot of padded out nonsense during the trials as he tries to gently caress with people like Togami did during Chihiro's murder, all the while spewing Junko-level propaganda. Maybe if he hadn't exposed himself so early or didn't immediately turn the crazy up to 11 I'd like him better, Fukawa/Syo worked because they were a split personality and it could be turned off/on without Syo ever becoming overwhelming, I think.

I don't know, maybe I just don't like this smug white-haired bastard yet. He reeks of "try-hard" to me. :colbert:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
If you look at the rest of them you'll notice two Kirigiri voice clips as well.

Dangan Ronpa Dead End(?) is picking up steam I guess.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Jeek posted:

I have seen Pixiv fanarts of Chihiro and Kirigiri doing that exact pose. Is it a meme of some sort?

It's originally a female character with pink hair from a bad anime series. I guess the pose is popular enough for people to constantly make edits of it with their favorite anime/game characters.

edit: Here's the original.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Long winded anime as hell speeches? Nah gently caress that, get smacked in your mouth son.

quote:

I'd much rather have a banal life, where nothing ever happens... That fits me much better...

Good luck with that. :unsmith:

edit: I hope the Monobeasts don't just get taken out off-screen like this, granted this is only the first one, but I'd rather they serve a purpose other than arbitrary gatekeeper. I don't know, I just thought they looked cool and they remind me of Power Ranger Zords, and that is sick.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 28, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Skyla posted:

Hard, but not impossible.

Besides, A big fancy bow isn't necessary in this situation.

If the only thing she can do by herself is a small, basic bow, then she would've used the basic bow instead of stewing in her own juices and funking up the place.

Which means that Saionji couldn't tie a basic obi for herself, ORRRRRRRRR

she is just incredibly lazy and spoiled. XD

or...
>_>
<_<
>_>

It's a trap!!!

Drive slow, homie.

Anyway, I hope Gamer's way of shooing us away and the competence she's shown thus far is a hint that she's going to be this game's Kirigiri, the more level-headed useful characters we have the better the chances there are of people surviving. It seems this game's cast either references or ties to the prequel's cast quite a bit, does that mean Nidai will also duke it out DBZ style with Monobear?

edit: It's probably stupid to expect any of that, actually. The game's made a point to distance itself from the prequel in terms of twists and characters, here's hoping for more whacked out plot developments.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 7, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
So wait, now Nanami has a powerglove? Well obviously she's going to form a team of professional fighting game players and sponsor them under her empire because the type of games she sucks at are in fact fighting games as she can not compete on a professional level herself. EMP Chiaki Nanami let's go.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
So, does that mean the airport quip about shootouts and FPS games is a reference to that one Call of Duty level? I don't really know anything about the series but I do recall hearing about a level in which you gun down an airport.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Who What Now posted:

Nanami is acting wildly out of character, and that's making me suspicious.

Or maybe she's acting precisely in character, that of a video game detective or something.

She's been doing so when not in sleep-mode or whatever her idle nose bubble animation is.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

V!ntar posted:

Ray, if you are reading this, don't stop. You are a Super Community College Level Artist :v:

This actually linked me straight to youtube, where in the highest comment was a massive spoiler that ruins the entire game.

Don't click that link.

Color Printer posted:

I clicked it and went to polsy, not sure how you went straight to Youtube.

Still not playing the video because I'm not an idiot and I don't want to risk anything.

You're right, it's some stupid plug-in on my end, disregard the above then. Still a fair warning as to not click it either way.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 6, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Austrian mook posted:

Why? :confused:

E: VVVVVVV: I don't get it

-ITTY -PHOON*

It's literally a glowing neon sign, come on my dude.

edit: I got ya. vvv

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 23, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Dias posted:

Yep, I was thinking Midori and another band in the same style, also from Japan, that I can't remember the name for the life of me.

Melt Banana?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Kay Kessler posted:

Speaking of which, did Koizumi dye her hair? I recall her autopsy report showing her with black hair.

The pictures were b/w.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Slowbeef is a robot who can't understand the passionate throes of anime video game love between man and waifu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Idiot.

• Locked thread