Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
Since Togami is not a SHSL heir anymore, he decided to be SHSL Master of Disguise.
:v: Turtle, turtle, turtle.

Also I bet this game will pull a Kojima, and that Super Dangan Ronpa 2 is a simulation to reenact the events of the first game to create new SHSL Solid Snakes Hopes. This means that the villain may not be SHSL Despair but may be remnants of the Illuminati in the Dangan Ronpa universe who are trying to get their power back from SHSL Despair.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

So if there is a SHSL Good Luck chosen every year by Hope's Peak Academy and graduating from it means a certain success in life, than what careers would these Lucksters get by simply being lucky? I guess there is gambling and the stock market but what else is there? Also the idea of one of the SHSL Good Luck graduates having "Graduated as SHSL Good Luck from Hope's Peak Academy" on their résumé amuses me.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Most of the characters introduced so far seem very difficult to try to converse with.

Yeah, they all seem to have their own malfunctions. I don't think these characters are the underclassmen of the original cast, but instead they were part of Hope's Peak's program for Super High-School Level Troubled Students.

C-Euro posted:

Please tell me that someone uses a surfboard as a murder weapon at some point in this game.

That would be rad as gently caress. :tubular:

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Being a swordsman in Japanese media is already usually a superpower. It will be interesting to see how this game handles that.

Yeah, also remember Dangan Ronpa is Anime as balls which pretty much makes a sword an equivalent to a WMD in that universe.

Also I bet Super Goonette will survive with the power of pure weapons grade :spergin:.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Anoia posted:

I'm not sure what Hanamura's look is supposed to be reminiscent of, though.
I think Hanamura is supposed to be a mix of a stereotypical fast food mascot and Sanji, the womanizing chef from One Piece.

E: Christ, the Dangan Ronpa series is like the anime equivalent of a game my friends and I play called "Find the obscure reference in this Quentin Tarantino movie."

E2: Sanji hits on and flirts with women in the series, granted he might be more of a romantic than an actual pervert. I haven't kept up with the series in the last couple of years so my memory might be a little off.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 26, 2012

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

Like Yamada before him, I'm sure the Ultraspoon will overstay his welcome. Maybe he won't be as insufferable as the first impression makes him look.

Hanamura's specialty dish is SHSL chickencheese.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 26, 2012

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

I think the idea Akane Owari as an athletic wunderkind is interesting because it plays off actual theories of athletic genius. Akane doesn't train yet is able to be one of the best in her field. A possible reason for this is when she performs she enters a fugue state where a high level of performance is reached with a small amount of actual conscious effort. Essentially, her athletic skill is somewhat inherent and she is able to exhibit awesome maneuvers in her sport with very little actual skill because her brain uses very little brain power when performing simple athletic tasks.

For a more in depth look at athletic genius watch this video PBS's Idea Channel on YouTube. It is overall good, besides the typical dumb YouTube things (cutaways, Asking viewers to like, comment, and subscribe, etc.).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE-vSJh0N_A

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 30, 2012

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

Should this be "subconscious mind" or something?

I think Ryouko may just be using the wrong terminology, because she is an airhead.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

In actuality he is a lizard person and doesn't want everyone to learn of his lizard person identity

:ohdear: oh no the Reptilian Agenda caused the most despair inducing event in the world. David Icke please (Or maybe Gene Ray, the guy who made the Time Cube website) please save us.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 3, 2013

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

:stare: Well, holy poo poo. He's got TransformersTM. Hang on a minute - if this entire thing - including Usami - isn't just some setup by the SHSL Despair Group, then why were there Transformers inside the statue? I mean, if Usami really was telling the truth and was legitimately trying to foster friendships and such on a peaceful safe island, then what are Transformers doing inside the statue?

Have you ever watched an anime? The giant robots always defeat evil with friendship and lasers :hellyeah:. They were probably Hopebots or something like that before Monobear corrupted them.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Arcade has a habit of doing stuff like this.

But has he done it in style. Seriously though why is Arcade dressed up like he is going to a five star restaurant. Isn't he supposed to be basically a deranged goony carny with a very stupid and garish bow tie.

Also the cover of the comic is more Battle Royale than Dangan Ronpa.

But hey, the writer of the comic is Dennis Hopeless. :tinfoil:

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Yggdrasil325 posted:

Junko was less breaking the fourth wall and more speaking in Tropes.

:stonk: Oh god! Junko is a SHSL :tvtropes:.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

theshim posted:

Also, very interesting to learn that Togami indeed worked at getting himself that fat. Perhaps the Syo theories actually have some merit to them. :v:

How do we not know it was the other way around? This Togami could have lost weight. What I'm saying is that there is a possibility that this Togami was fatter than he is now. Like Jabba the Hut level fatness.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Togami and Gundam

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Miss Kalle posted:

Back to the chapter at hand, I kind of assumed Junko would be good at combat maybe because of Mukuro's influence? The Monobear-on-Sakura fight would have shown some indication, but controlling a stuffed bear to fight is a little different than really getting in there and going toe-to-toe themselves.

:v: Why does everyone think that Murkuro taught Junko to fight? It's obvious that she learned martial arts by watching her Japanese Animes.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If there's one thing the developers are, it's imaginative. Having Junko return to be the villain again in DR2 would not be imaginative.
If they make her return like really crazy and over the top I would be okay with Junko coming back from the dead. Like if she pulls a Kratos and literally fights her way out of Hell in order to continue her quest for ultimate despair. I would be cool with that.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Wow, Gundam is goony as gently caress. I wonder if his blog is like the posts in Penis Land Pet Island?

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

:v: Oh no! We found a dead body. Hey Koizumi do you know anything about this?

Wasn't me.

E: :downs: I Also think everyone is a cross-dresser including Monobear. Also this Togami is from an alternative universe which is practically same as the Dangan Ronpa universe except for the fact everyone is about a hundred pounds overweight and is nicer than their counter-parts. Also I think they are in a video game of sorts because they are actually in a video game. Get it because these character are part of a video game. Meta as gently caress isn't it. The only way to prevent these characters from dying is not to play so the true mastermind is the player because by continuing playing the game the characters will continue to die in horrible ways. Mind fuckin' blown.

Seriously though everyone calm down and enjoy the ride. Before making baseless claims build up your crazy theory with actual evidence from the game.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 30, 2013

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

IceBorg posted:

I don't know about that. When he started mentioning protecting someone and a job the first thing that came to mind is that he was SHSL Bodyguard or something in the same vein as that. They are supposed to be intimidating right? Madarai is just perfect for that I think.

Madarai could also be SHSL Bouncer. Seriously, who would sneak into a club that is guarded by a snake man?

Radian Angle posted:

I made something.

The working title was "Lime Popsicle" cause of his eyes.

:v: So would he be SHSL Let's Player, SHSL Crooner, or SHSL Kat Dennings fan?

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 31, 2013

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

HelloWinter posted:

Man, I couldn't help it either. Gosh darn it.

This is glorious. I love how Monobear has cardboard hair.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Hinata looks like the second Phoenix... the one who was justice?

His name was Apollo Justice and we don't talk about him! :mad:

E: Seriously though Apollo Justice (The game not the character) is horrible. That game just left a bad taste in my mouth.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 3, 2013

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Chef is to cook as Illusionist is to magician.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

:stare: Well there goes SHSL Snake-man. Sweet dreams cold blooded prince.

Anyway this book is basically Monobear Begins. I wonder when Junko finds the symbol that she will use to deliver despair into SHSL students who are a superstitious and cowardly lot.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Well, if we've got Junko-sympathizers out there in the world, I think they could probably easily interpret the events of DR1 as they were publicly broadcasted as her choosing to lose, or even as a victory, considering how gleefully she carried out her own execution.

Most likely there is probably a copy-cat killer who is controlling Monobear, granted since this is Dangan Ronpa that is not saying much. From the look of Monoworld there were a lot of people who seem to support Junko or at least Monobear as a symbol of sorts. Essentially it is a Following situation where despair-ridden people decide to help Junko since she is really pragmatic. Hopefully if this is case it would not be as stupid as the Following.

Now for something that is loosely related to Dangan Ronpa. The Alamo Drafthouse is having a screening of Battle Royale which means a new poster from Mondo. Also Mondo got help from Kevin Tong and Bryan Lee O'Malley for this poster. I felt that this development would be appropriate to bring up in the thread.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 9, 2013

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Seriously didn't think we'd get to see the inside of her cottage so easily. I really liked how in the first game you got to see the character's room once you maxed out all there scenarios. I wonder what SDR2 will do instead.

Probably a walk on the beach or they come visit Hinata's cabin because you know friendship :v:.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

tiistai posted:

My plain black bag needed a redesign.

Made with rags, textile glue and shaky hands.

:v: You probably get detained by the TSA if you attempt to go on the plane with that bag because you know DESPAIR!

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

For some reason I hear mad guitar rifts when looking at this gif. :rock:

Also I think someone is going to get murdered with chop sticks because it would show that Togami can't protect everyone which would lead to extreme despair for Togami.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Suzuki Method posted:

I'm kind of missing something. Where the hell did Chiaki even go? She said she was gonna find Monomi but I was under the impression they just kind of appear/disappear whenever they want. What is the purpose of physically leaving the room to go look for something that just poofs into existence? :psyduck: For this reason I think Chiaki is doing something shady. It just doesn't add up to me.

:v: Remember goons she is a SHSL Gamer so she should be able to find Monomi with the old adventure game tactic of touching and looking at everything.

:v: Alternate joke: As a SHSL Gamer, Chiaki knows that Monomi is hiding in tall grass.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

:v: Nagito is really pale and he is also SHSL Luck which makes the theory of him being Irish a legitimate. :tinfoil:

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 25, 2013

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

ferndavant posted:

Less "I'm a better translator!" talk.

Let's Play! > Super Dangan Ronpa 2: Localization For Dummies

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Opposing Farce posted:

It's a vague enough description that it could cover like half of all JRPGs ever.

v:v:v I think that's the joke.

Also a Studio Ghibli reference. Well played Spike. :chord:

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 5, 2013

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

What is it with Japanese villains and constructing elaborate versions of Mt. Rushmore with their faces on it?

It could be looked at the vanity of man as he tries to impose his will onto the land and making it to reflect his own image as a sort of god. Sounds very megalomaniacal and illustrates how self-centered and terrible the villain (i.e. Monobear) is.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Welcome to light novels! Enjoy your stay!

Are there any good or decent light novels or does the medium mostly consist of pulp?

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

:argh: drat you Slowbeef and VoidBurger! I was going to make make fun of this stupid fan thing. Ah gently caress it you guys would probably do a better riffing this "thing" than me. I'm also really busy anyway since I have tons of coursework right now. Anyway Slowbeef and VoidBurger godspeed into the abyss of despair known as Tumblr.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Doctor Tess posted:

Yeah I definitely think they missed a big opportunity for a sick rave party here.

Tess you have redeemed this thread. The thread is good again! This progress will of course be undermined when someone decides to talk about anime periods again.:sigh:

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Aside from the pixel hunt minigame, further Ace Attorney inspired features in Dangan Ronpa 2 originally included a badge you could show to absolutely everyone. Unfortunately, this was scrapped for the final version.

It would have been amazing to have the ability to annoy the gently caress out of all the characters by having the ability to incessantly shove your badge into their faces for no good reason.

:allears: Ah, what could have been.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Hey I know Dangan Ronpa is anime as gently caress but I still can't get over the fact that Kirigiri senior looks like a teenage boy despite the fact that he is probably is in his late-thirties or early forties. Come on Dangan Ronpa Zero artist I know that you can only draw anime high schoolers but can you at least give the guy some facial hair so he actually looks like a fatherly figure.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 2, 2013

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

This is perfect. I have a crippling disorder that makes me think everyone looks like their avatar in real life.

Every time I think of orenronen, I imagine Monobear sitting at the desk, typing on the keyboard to translate a game starring himself.

Well that is appropriate since he does inflict Goons with crippling despair every-time he ends an update with a cliffhanger.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Melvino posted:

All I can see now is Hanamura being made into a nice cliche soup.

No Monobear would probably make him into processed hamburger meat which scares him more than actually dying since he thinks he is too good be made into food that would be eaten by peasants if he has to die he wants to be at least made into a filet mignon at least.

Either that or Monobear drowns him in one of Golden Corral's famous chocolate fountains.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

CrushedB posted:

Anybody reading a magazine with an article on Necro-Nesia isn't right in the head.

Or they are kicking rad.:rock:

:v: Yes Escape from Bug Island is a bad game but I personally find it endearing.

Waffleman_ posted:

Birthdays for characters in anime stuff are almost never plot-relevant. They're just things that the creators put in.

:chord: Or is it? Like a possibly reason why the mastermind decided to kill their classmates is because no one remembered their birthday.

Note: :thejoke:

E: VVV Some times sarcasm doesn't translate well in posts so I put some emoticons in for good measure.VVV

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 18, 2013

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

So there is a timer now? To get some perspective how many days passed in the first Dangan Ronpa? (After the time skip of course.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I hope shsl luck is not dead, simply because I like the idea of having a contrarian among the students constantly and smoothly arguing to get people to vote for the wrong culprit in the trials,

Well he is SHSL Luck so there is a good chance of him outliving most of the cast simply because of dumb luck.

• Locked thread