Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Being able to see his stubble is really what brings it on home. As to how awesome it is, anyway. Though this makes me wonder why it is that 1800s people generally seemed to look unattractive by modern standards, yet two thousand years ago we had this guy and all those fabulously jacked Greek statue-models? (Granted I realize those were undoubtedly enhanced)

Whenever somebody's Wikipedia URL is like Jim_Stevens_(Murderer) I always find it grimly entertaining for the calm encyclopedic cataloguing of murderers.

I know this is two months old, but I just read the whole thread in this last week, and I wanted you to know that I laughed out loud and also felt heartwarmed. Good stuff. Particularly given this thread otherwise.

GrickleGrass posted:

E2: V Yeah, caught that already. Something came over me. Some sort of posting hysteria.
This also made me bust up laughing. Hooray!

Helmacron posted:

I think when a chimp eats a human baby, in the wild, you're gonna just have to be okay with it, move on, otherwise you get a gnarly slippery slope argument where I can see a stocky old man in a wife beater's screams being whipped away with the wind and shooting a scoped .302 from the hip at a tornado as it flits left, flits right.
And I do not know what was going on here, but it was eerily beautiful. Oh, and later in the thread there was another quote that made me take note due to its excellent construction and unusual structure, about wondering what word and what context are on that person's tongue, and you wrote that, too. Are you a writer, Helmacron?

Jack Gladney posted:

Still, the creepy part comes when you imagine that there really was a stalker who was very careful about making her look crazy by doing things that a lonely mentally ill person would do for attention.
My wife is friends with someone who had a seemingly mostly-benign stalker for several months, and then one day came home to find him standing in her kitchen. Their huge St. Bernard came running and scared him off when she screamed, she filed a police report, they searched and found no evidence of an intruder. The calls renewed in earnest, he started leaving things near the house or something. One day, the police were apparently bored enough/she had enough money for them to care that they came by to search the surrounding area; she saw the guy standing off in the woods nearby while the police were there, reported this to the police, and they arrested her for filing a false report when they found no trace of the guy. She lost her teaching license as a result, and they moved to another state to get away from him/it all.

While she does not seem like the kind of person to randomly make up a story like this, particularly since their dog is now hyper-aggressive towards any and all visitors (unless he was always like that and this is all somehow to cover for the dog). But her dad also kill himself when she was young, and I am sure that even people without traumatic childhoods are capable of randomly making up stalkers. So who knows if it is true? Fortunately she is not dead, though, and has not heard from the guy since moving several years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jack Gladney posted:

Surely the cops could tell if somebody actually broke into the house?
You would think so. And perhaps this is why they ended up arresting her, figuring that if she were this scared she would keep all doors and windows locked at all times so he would have to break in (which he evidently did not).

A few of my friends have had stalkers, and in all of those cases the police have believed the woman, and allowed her to collect evidence under their supervision to confirm the existence of the stalker (recording phone calls, showing threatening e-mail/texts) and actually arrested the stalker. It just further confuses me as to whether the problem could be that this particular rural area's police force had no interest in handling stalking cases correctly or, you know, again, whether she was making it all up.

Also Double Plus Good, drat. I am sorry. I assume you have had eight million people tell you that the odds of encountering another actually-dangerous guy like that are incredibly minimal, and that you should try not to let it impact the way you view the world ... even though that undoubtedly is challenging.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, I mean, if this thread helped you claim that outstanding $100,000 reward and put an unsolved murder to rest, I think it would have singlehandedly justified this thread's existence.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am just glad to have abruptly learned the term "antiziganism" as I have never seen it in my life and now it is ALL OVER THE PLACE

(Regarding Mexicans: The situation with the Romani may be exacerbated by the same things that create problems in the USA for Mexican immigrants, namely that depending on what facts you want to care more about/what percentages you think are more compelling, you can probably justify [with numbers at least] any view you want to have on the subject)

• Locked thread