Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders

I was 7 when this happened. It is scary and horrible on its own, but on a personal level it always haunted me because my sister and I were raised to believe my grandfather was the perpetrator.

I don't remember the details but apparently he worked somewhere that had access to cyanide, had some sort of paranoid issue with McNeil Healthcare or had worked for them (he was bipolar/delusional*), and came home one day and warned my mother not to buy Tylenol from anywhere and not to give my sister or I Tylenol that she didn't buy before that day. This was right before people started dying.

*he was German-born, but my grandmother, aunt, mother, sister and I were not allowed to learn German at school under any circumstances because he spoke in German on the phone and told my mother it was secret CIA/government information that he didn't want us to listen in on.

My mother was another shade of crazy so I never really knew whether it was really true or not, but growing up it was an accepted fact. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

DStecks posted:

poo poo, have you considered, you know, contacting the authorities?

Yes, but with what evidence? "I kinda remember this from when I was 7 but I don't know if it was true because my family is loopy" I have seriously no evidence other than what my mother told me, and the mystery/weirdness that surrounded my grandfather was so much that I couldn't even tell you what he did for a living. I know at one point he owned a wine company, and he was always traveling to Europe and back, but even though I saw him most of my childhood I could never tell you anything about him. He even moved to my town a few years ago and died here and I couldn't even say where he was buried. He was so mysterious that for awhile we wondered if he really was a government agent of some sort, because his life was just this "fog" full of inconsistencies. My grandmother divorced him when I was about 13 or so and he just kinda faded into the background.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

You could send an email to the FBI Chicago field office saying what you've said here and giving as much info on your grandfather as you know. They'd decide whether to follow it up or not; worst case scenario, a low-level agent would waste an hour or two looking into something that didn't pan out.

You know, my best friend from childhood's father is/was FBI, and of course worked in Chicago for years. We're still very good friends; I think I will get in touch with him and see what he thinks, he'll at least know who I can contact in Chicago. I will probably end up feeling dumb, but I guess who knows, right?

Noisycat has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Jul 7, 2013

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

Hey guys, just a small update on the "my grandfather is the Tylenol Poisoner" thing. I contacted my childhood friend and laid out the whole story for her, it actually made sense to her (?!) and she is going to sit down with her dad once he is out of some minor surgery. He will be able to point me in the right direction, since he's an FBI agent and worked in the Chicago suburbs for decades.

Also I was reading the wiki on it and it mentioned the first victim was from Elk Grove. That's where my grandfather lived (though none of the places are that far from Elk Grove; Chicago suburbs are all kinda smooshed together).

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

Oh dear! I didn't mean to leave anyone hanging!

I haven't heard back from my friend yet, and I've had some serious poo poo going down in my life otherwise, so it was on the back burner to follow up on. I'll drop her a note and see how the talk with her dad went (he was recovering from surgery which is why she didn't ask right away) I promise as soon as I have something to update I will, I just have some major worries going on that need to be addressed (and it may be why she didn't bring it up yet because she knows my life just got thrown up in the air).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

Kind of a non update on the Tylenol case but here we go:

I just heard back from my friend's father (who is FBI) and he said to go ahead and call the Chicago office and if my grandfather fits the profile they will follow up. He said I was doing the right thing by following up on this. It's a little disconcerting (but a bit of a weird relief) that neither my friend nor her dad think I'm bonkers and should follow up on it, especially since they have met my grandfather.

I'm going to make the call Monday, just trying to steel my courage (not because I'm afraid of what it will mean but rather I keep worrying people will think I'm a nutjob).

• Locked thread