Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Khazar-khum posted:

A few years ago, there was a traveling museum exhibit for the bog people. It had a number of the actual bodies, along with artifacts and recreated clothing. The artifacts themselves were fascinating, the mummies incredibly moving, the recreations arrestingly modern.

I saw that in Milwaukee a few years ago. It was pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

RevSyd posted:

Well now, if they removed mercury from vaccines and autism diagnoses increased afterwards... wait, they did! Proof! Conspiracy! Free mercury for all!

I fixed Autism. You're welcome.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jack Gladney posted:

Surely the cops could tell if somebody actually broke into the house?
You would think so. And perhaps this is why they ended up arresting her, figuring that if she were this scared she would keep all doors and windows locked at all times so he would have to break in (which he evidently did not).

A few of my friends have had stalkers, and in all of those cases the police have believed the woman, and allowed her to collect evidence under their supervision to confirm the existence of the stalker (recording phone calls, showing threatening e-mail/texts) and actually arrested the stalker. It just further confuses me as to whether the problem could be that this particular rural area's police force had no interest in handling stalking cases correctly or, you know, again, whether she was making it all up.

Also Double Plus Good, drat. I am sorry. I assume you have had eight million people tell you that the odds of encountering another actually-dangerous guy like that are incredibly minimal, and that you should try not to let it impact the way you view the world ... even though that undoubtedly is challenging.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Tjadeth posted:

I think I kind of remember this. Wasn't it small animals that were finding their way onto a staircase/landing on the third or fourth floor, and the poster had narrowed their suspects down to a creepy neighbor or a stray cat?

That's the one, yeah. Explains where I was getting cat from, as well.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I just want to chime in and say that this Elisa Lam mystery is my new favorite thing. Some of the theories are of a very peculiar flavor of insanity.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders

I was 7 when this happened. It is scary and horrible on its own, but on a personal level it always haunted me because my sister and I were raised to believe my grandfather was the perpetrator.

I don't remember the details but apparently he worked somewhere that had access to cyanide, had some sort of paranoid issue with McNeil Healthcare or had worked for them (he was bipolar/delusional*), and came home one day and warned my mother not to buy Tylenol from anywhere and not to give my sister or I Tylenol that she didn't buy before that day. This was right before people started dying.

*he was German-born, but my grandmother, aunt, mother, sister and I were not allowed to learn German at school under any circumstances because he spoke in German on the phone and told my mother it was secret CIA/government information that he didn't want us to listen in on.

My mother was another shade of crazy so I never really knew whether it was really true or not, but growing up it was an accepted fact. :(

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Khisareth posted:

I was 7 when this happened. It is scary and horrible on its own, but on a personal level it always haunted me because my sister and I were raised to believe my grandfather was the perpetrator.

I don't remember the details but apparently he worked somewhere that had access to cyanide, had some sort of paranoid issue with McNeil Healthcare or had worked for them (he was bipolar/delusional*), and came home one day and warned my mother not to buy Tylenol from anywhere and not to give my sister or I Tylenol that she didn't buy before that day. This was right before people started dying.

*he was German-born, but my grandmother, aunt, mother, sister and I were not allowed to learn German at school under any circumstances because he spoke in German on the phone and told my mother it was secret CIA/government information that he didn't want us to listen in on.

My mother was another shade of crazy so I never really knew whether it was really true or not, but growing up it was an accepted fact. :(

poo poo, have you considered, you know, contacting the authorities?

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

DStecks posted:

poo poo, have you considered, you know, contacting the authorities?

Yes, but with what evidence? "I kinda remember this from when I was 7 but I don't know if it was true because my family is loopy" I have seriously no evidence other than what my mother told me, and the mystery/weirdness that surrounded my grandfather was so much that I couldn't even tell you what he did for a living. I know at one point he owned a wine company, and he was always traveling to Europe and back, but even though I saw him most of my childhood I could never tell you anything about him. He even moved to my town a few years ago and died here and I couldn't even say where he was buried. He was so mysterious that for awhile we wondered if he really was a government agent of some sort, because his life was just this "fog" full of inconsistencies. My grandmother divorced him when I was about 13 or so and he just kinda faded into the background.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Khisareth posted:

Yes, but with what evidence? "I kinda remember this from when I was 7 but I don't know if it was true because my family is loopy" I have seriously no evidence other than what my mother told me

You could send an email to the FBI Chicago field office saying what you've said here and giving as much info on your grandfather as you know. They'd decide whether to follow it up or not; worst case scenario, a low-level agent would waste an hour or two looking into something that didn't pan out.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

You could send an email to the FBI Chicago field office saying what you've said here and giving as much info on your grandfather as you know. They'd decide whether to follow it up or not; worst case scenario, a low-level agent would waste an hour or two looking into something that didn't pan out.

You know, my best friend from childhood's father is/was FBI, and of course worked in Chicago for years. We're still very good friends; I think I will get in touch with him and see what he thinks, he'll at least know who I can contact in Chicago. I will probably end up feeling dumb, but I guess who knows, right?

Noisycat has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Jul 7, 2013

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Seriously, do it. Even if its to just rule the possibility out.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, I mean, if this thread helped you claim that outstanding $100,000 reward and put an unsolved murder to rest, I think it would have singlehandedly justified this thread's existence.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Khisareth posted:

I was about 7 when this occurred and it scared the hell out of me. To this day I still avoid Tylenol even though there is no rational reason to do so. At the time I had heard about serial killers and child molesters and so forth, but I had never considered the dangers of someone maliciously tampering with a food or medicine source. It affected me about as much as Richard Ramirez did, as I was growing up in Southern CA at the time. He also scared the hell out of me, but has already been discussed in this thread.

You absolutely should contact the authorities with the information you have. Here's a list of eventually solved cold cases, years after the fact some tiny bit of seemingly inconsequential information finally breaks a decades old case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_case#Notable_solved_criminal_cold_cases

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Not a Wikipedia article (and Wikipedia doesn't really go into the details, though it does talk about the nose-biting), but :nms: sea otters are sexual predators :nms:, not just the ordinary SFW kind.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It seems like every few months someone will post an article revealing that *insert adorable and popular animal species here* is actually given to violent rape and murder.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

angelfisher posted:

I know this is a while back, but goddamn. One case is too many, but there's plenty here too. The case of James Christopher Scavone freaks me out.
Wikipedia link, and description here:

I can't find any other links reporting what the woman claimed she heard, but it's still scary poo poo. :ohdear:
I've been bothered by the Amy Lynn Bradley case since it first popped up in this thread. The sex site's pictures are really unnerving. I've read discussions of it obviously being her and obviously not being her, and I'm not really equipped to tell which one makes a stronger case, if either. The one thing that I think makes it seem easier to stomach is the question of why an operation like that would need to kidnap American women off a cruise ship, knowing the possibility of an investigation, when there are so many local low-income women and prostitutes who might be willing to do this work, or who, if abducted, aren't likely to cause an investigation (due to the very reasons discussed in this thread before).

I don't know what to think of the James Scavone phone call. It seems entirely possible that the woman made that up after learning about the case, since people feel a need to do that poo poo for some reason.

Zombie Raptor posted:

I just want to chime in and say that this Elisa Lam mystery is my new favorite thing. Some of the theories are of a very peculiar flavor of insanity.
I hadn't read the newer stuff until I caught up with this thread this weekend and had a soulless "I knew it" reaction when I saw that she was bipolar. The first time I saw the video of her weird behavior, as soon as it was released, I thought she might be because I am and my hands do weird poo poo like that when I'm really agitated or having an episode :( .

Khisareth posted:

:stare:

AnonSpore posted:

It seems like every few months someone will post an article revealing that *insert adorable and popular animal species here* is actually given to violent rape and murder.
Nobody ever cares when they're not fluffy or ducks. Snapping turtles tear the poo poo out of each other with their beaks even during what appears to be consensual mating. (That being said, I'm still shocked about the otters. Otters no!)

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Apr 2, 2014

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Inspector Zenigata posted:

I'd wager that white, attractive, relatively-upper class women fulfill a different niche and are thus sought after more than locals, if only for variety's sake.
gently caress this world. :smith: Tangent here, but I just don't get the attraction of force. I mean, I know about it, hell, I study it quite a bit in my PhD work and I'm a feminist who's pretty well-read on topics of gendered power relations, rape is power not sex, etc, but Jesus. There are voluntary sex workers who will gladly take your money and pretend to be whatever the hell you want them to be. There are women who have no problem and even enjoy roleplaying forced captivity and sex, and who will, again, gladly accept a payment for their services. I know that for some people, like a lot of the sick bastards discussed in this very thread, that doesn't count since it's still consent, but gently caress.

I really hope the woman in those pictures is a consenting sex worker who just bears a resemblance to Amy Bradley.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I would be very, very surprised to find out that the premium you get for having a white girl in your slave brothel outweighs the risk of having :911: come knocking. We're not talking high class, Secret Diary of a Call Girl, $3000 a night stuff here. The pool of people who think "Yeah, I wanna gently caress a kidnapped American girl for 15x the price of a local hooker!" yet can be trusted not to turn around and report running into this well reported kidnapping victim to collect some sort of reward must be pretty small. Like the poster above said, it makes a lot more sense to use locals, or women imported from other developing countries that won't come looking for them. Goddamn sex trafficking is depressing as all heck as a concept.

Disappearances off cruise ships are 99% falls over the side or suicide, basically once you go over your chances of surviving if no one has seen you go in are marginally better than your odds of picking the winning lottery number. The odds are a bit better if you're in an area with a very good SAR apparatus, but only slightly so. Even bodies aren't commonly found. It's a pretty horrible, slow way to die if you ask me. Cabin balconies are just an all-around terrible idea.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah they do seem to dismiss the possibility that she fell overboard and drowned too easily. It doesn't matter that she was a trained lifeguard, she might have hit her head or got caught in a weird current or something.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
No matter how good of a swimmer you are, you're going to die if you're not found. Exhaustion, hypothermia, sharks, whatever.

Finding someone in the open sea... Well your head sticks out a foot and a half and the waves are usually at least two feet.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

joxxuh posted:

On the subject of people being poo poo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_of_the_Forest

A man discovers a giant tree in the forest, estimated to be over 2,500 years old. So of course he strips it of its bark, leaving it to die. He doesn't even use it for firewood or anything, just tears the bark off and leaves this huge tree to die for no reason. What a spiteful thing to do.

On a somewhat similar note, I was listening to the radio the other day about "Oops". So a scientist was trying to get a core sample from a tree, his drill broke and decided to cut down the tree. Later he counted the rings and got about 4000. He counted again and got 4000 again.

He now only does research on saltflats.

fake edit: This might be the tree. 4862 maybe +5000 years old. I have to cross check with the radio station's site.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_%28tree%29

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

On a somewhat similar note, I was listening to the radio the other day about "Oops". So a scientist was trying to get a core sample from a tree, his drill broke and decided to cut down the tree. Later he counted the rings and got about 4000. He counted again and got 4000 again.

He now only does research on saltflats.

fake edit: This might be the tree. 4862 maybe +5000 years old. I have to cross check with the radio station's site.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_%28tree%29

That's the tree. The dude who cut it down was Don Currey. I was listening to that radio program yesterday too, and it was really interesting.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Taliaquin posted:

I've been bothered by the Amy Lynn Bradley case since it first popped up in this thread. The sex site's pictures are really unnerving. I've read discussions of it obviously being her and obviously not being her, and I'm not really equipped to tell which one makes a stronger case, if either. The one thing that I think makes it seem easier to stomach is the question of why an operation like that would need to kidnap American women off a cruise ship, knowing the possibility of an investigation, when there are so many local low-income women and prostitutes who might be willing to do this work, or who, if abducted, aren't likely to cause an investigation (due to the very reasons discussed in this thread before).

There's very rarely anything more than a perfunctory investigation for a whole variety of reasons. Kendall Carver, the head of International Cruise Victims, says that someone goes missing off of a cruise ship around every two weeks during the peak season and it's covered up by the cruise lines because it's in their power to do so. Cruises are really hosed up places and a lot of crime that takes place on them does get hushed up because no one's really in a position to investigate because these ships are mostly under flags of convenience like the Bahamas. There was a bit of an uproar a couple years back because only one policeman was assigned to investigate the disappearance of Rebecca Coriam from the Disney Wonder, and he did gently caress all, but apparently that's pretty typical.

So if anything being on a cruise probably makes someone a more attractive target for human trafficking.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012
This may be a repost, but I think I first came across it somewhere else:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrone_Brown

In 1990 a 17-year-old kid robs a guy of 2 dollars at gunpoint, gets 10 years' probation, smokes pot a single time and is given a life sentence for the violation. He was finally pardoned by Rick Perry in 2006.

The judge in this case should really be tried in a criminal court himself, but he at least didn't get reelected to his position after the story broke. He claims he doesn't even remember issuing the life sentence (he also probably doesn't remember the slap on the wrist he gave to another, well-connected parolee around the same time, after the guy had committed multiple violations).

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Just stumbled across this, which was made into a film "Alpha Dog".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Nicholas_Markowitz

I think what I find so sad is that the kid (15yo) believed his murderers were his friends and that he was apart of this gang. Only to be killed over $1200. Which his half-brother owed some shithead. Jesus.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

TurboTax posted:

This may be a repost, but I think I first came across it somewhere else:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrone_Brown

In 1990 a 17-year-old kid robs a guy of 2 dollars at gunpoint, gets 10 years' probation, smokes pot a single time and is given a life sentence for the violation. He was finally pardoned by Rick Perry in 2006.
I'm not used to Good Guy Rick Perry. It's nice to see one actually exists.

EDIT: I hear it's quite rare, though. Once a lifetime kind of thing, maybe.

Terra-da-loo! has a new favorite as of 02:49 on Jul 9, 2013

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Do you guys know about General Buck Naked? If not, does that pique your interest enough for me to share?

(sorry for posting consecutively like that, I honestly didn't realize I did it.)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Zombie Raptor posted:

Do you guys know about General Buck Naked? If not, does that pique your interest enough for me to share?

The cannibal Liberian warlord? He seemed like a pretty cool guy in the Vice Guide to Liberia.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The cannibal Liberian warlord? He seemed like a pretty cool guy in the Vice Guide to Liberia.

I should check that out, but yeah.

On some similar topics, to contribute:

Sisa (video), a fairly new Greek drug that is also covered by Vice in an interesting piece. (a little text on the issue if you can't watch that right now)

I may not be the first one to bring you that news, either, but it is worth your time to look into that.

EDIT: Okay, if that's not new for you, how about some other hosed up drugs from around the world/history?

Changaa: Vice Piece, Wiki
I learned about Changaa from Al Jazeera earlier this year.

Torpedo Juice

I learned about this very shortly after learning about Changaa, for some obvious reasons that involve fuels.

Terra-da-loo! has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Jul 9, 2013

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Whilst we are on the subject of nasty drugs, how about Ya Ba/Yabba

It's basically a mixture of rough methamphetamines and caffine, the wiki article doesn't go into much detail but this stuff has been causing massive problems in Thailand's poorer areas as it's so cheap, I can't find the article at the moment but I read somewhere that it's not uncommon to find small villages that have basically been run into the ground because most people are smoking Ya Ba.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

White Dog Eggs posted:

Whilst we are on the subject of nasty drugs, how about Ya Ba/Yabba

It's basically a mixture of rough methamphetamines and caffine, the wiki article doesn't go into much detail but this stuff has been causing massive problems in Thailand's poorer areas as it's so cheap, I can't find the article at the moment but I read somewhere that it's not uncommon to find small villages that have basically been run into the ground because most people are smoking Ya Ba.
Is your avatar on it?

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
At least they're not huffing dat Jenkem!

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

I've been reading another one of Richard Preston's books, because I like to have nightmares, and stumbled across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesch_nyhan

It's an incredibly rare disease that results in a build up uric acid. The unsettling part? One of the symptoms is excessive self mutilation in the form of self cannibalism. Children with this disease will chew off their lips and fingers, particularly when stressed.

Most nightmare inducing part of the book:

"Harold, it turned out, had bitten his fingers even more severely than Matthew and had chewed off his lower lip down to his chin, at the limit of the reach of his upper teeth. Both boys were terrified of their hands and screamed for help even as they bit them".

It's as heartbreaking as it is horrifying. I can't even imagine being a parent and having to witness that.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

Hey guys, just a small update on the "my grandfather is the Tylenol Poisoner" thing. I contacted my childhood friend and laid out the whole story for her, it actually made sense to her (?!) and she is going to sit down with her dad once he is out of some minor surgery. He will be able to point me in the right direction, since he's an FBI agent and worked in the Chicago suburbs for decades.

Also I was reading the wiki on it and it mentioned the first victim was from Elk Grove. That's where my grandfather lived (though none of the places are that far from Elk Grove; Chicago suburbs are all kinda smooshed together).

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Khisareth posted:

Hey guys, just a small update on the "my grandfather is the Tylenol Poisoner" thing. I contacted my childhood friend and laid out the whole story for her, it actually made sense to her (?!) and she is going to sit down with her dad once he is out of some minor surgery. He will be able to point me in the right direction, since he's an FBI agent and worked in the Chicago suburbs for decades.

Also I was reading the wiki on it and it mentioned the first victim was from Elk Grove. That's where my grandfather lived (though none of the places are that far from Elk Grove; Chicago suburbs are all kinda smooshed together).

Holy crap. Keep us updated!

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

angelfisher posted:

I know this is a while back, but goddamn. One case is too many, but there's plenty here too. The case of James Christopher Scavone freaks me out.
Wikipedia link, and description here:

I can't find any other links reporting what the woman claimed she heard, but it's still scary poo poo. :ohdear:

Cruise ship disappearances terrify me. The thought of being among so many people and yet vanishing is just..ugh..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Rebecca_Coriam

Crewmember vanishes from a Disney ship. Likely theories are she was washed overboard or jumped (but that seems unlikely), either way Disney really is hiding something.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Cysticercosis, aka why avoiding pork is probably a good idea. :stonk:

(Kind of :nms:, also bad if you don't like seeing holes in clusters.)

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

weavernaut posted:

Cysticercosis, aka why avoiding pork is probably a good idea. :stonk:

(Kind of :nms:, also bad if you don't like seeing holes in clusters.)

ehh, only if you're a Mexican farm worker or butcher. Cooking the meat kills the larvae. I remember reading that most of the cases of this come from contaminated water.

What I'm saying is don't drink water in the country.

E: Not that that's veganism's fault necessarily (well, the raw part of it, yes), but Ahahahahahahahahahah.

Political Whores has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Jul 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.
Wasn't there some vegan musician who got that? And he was like, 'Welp, I sure got trolled when I felt for the ol' pork/vegan switcheroo!'

e: Here it is

utada has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Jul 13, 2013

• Locked thread