Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
So maybe this is why I kept getting error messages when trying to download Google Maps minutes after launch: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/12/17/google-maps-downloaded-10m-times-in-first-48-hours-on-ios-app-store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
So how does this work? Pull out your phone, open app, see when the best time to go to the bathroom is, put phone away, crawl over everyone to go to the bathroom, come back, and then disrupt everyone again by pulling out your phone to see what you missed.

If you do this, I hate you.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

You open the app before the movie starts and it will vibrate when it's safe to take a pee break. You check the phone on the way in/out of the bathroom to see what you're missing.

Also, it is possible to look at your phone during a movie and not disturb everyone. Just put it way down low.

Ah, I didn't understand that is how it worked. That is neat.

Just keep your phone put away during the movie. It isn't that hard, and yes, you are disturbing those around you even at low brightness.

Kingnothing posted:

Don't you hold your dick with one hand and your phone with the other when you piss?

Also it vibrates and people who tend to go to the bathroom during movies sit in the aisle seats (me).

I really need both hands to properly handle my giant dong.

I see those guys who using the urinal texting or talking on their phone and wonder what life must be like to have such a tiny penis and at the same time be so important you can't take a 20 second piss without being disturbed.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

DarkJC posted:

The BBC recently wrote an article about how the video support in iOS is really easy to support and thus they spend a fraction of the time supporting iOS as they do Android. This was in response to all the whiners in their comments every time they post something iOS related about how they're 'biased' towards Apple and why aren't they supporting 70% of the market and blah blah blah.

It could be the way Twitch has implemented their app, but I've personally never really had a problem with iOS video.

Android devices can get the same mpeg-4 stream that people on laptops/desktops get. For iOS, Apple requires that it be encoded in mpeg-2. It is an additional step and cost to support iOS.

I know Own3d used to only stream their top couple of streamers in mpeg-4 and mpeg-2. I don't know if that has changed or not.

But yeah, the Twitch app itself is a pile of crap. I have avoided most of the problems by closing it completely between uses. When some streams are locked into iPhone high/low, I switch to Splashtop.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

DarkJC posted:

This is at best very misleading. Apple requires live streaming video be delivered within an MPEG-2 transport stream, which is merely a packaging format. The transport stream is capable of delivering H.264 (MPEG-4) video, and in fact that's the only video format that is supported on iOS devices. It does not require the video be encoded into MPEG-2 at all, and in fact wouldn't work if it was.

Buddy of mine does this kind of stuff professionally. I asked him for some clarification since I am pretty murky on some of this stuff. He said that newer Android devices are more of a pain since Adobe removed Flash Player from Google Play back in August. He said prior to August, it was much easier and cheaper for him to stream to Android since there was no transcoding involved in the process. iOS streaming has always required him to do additional transcoding on the backend, which adds a cost.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

japtor posted:

Yeah iOS doesn't even support MPEG-2 playback so either you or your friend are really misinformed in some way here.

Really?

If anyone is misinformed, it is me. I have gleaned some information from my friend over the years, but am probably using the terms incorrectly or mixing something up. He has been pretty involved with live/archived streaming for quite a while. He was in a terminal trying to catch a flight so I didn't get to have a long discussion with him about it. I just know there is an added cost on his end to stream to iOS devices for some technical reason that doesn't exist when streaming to Android devices.

I get the point of that BBC article, but it isn't talking about streaming difficulties between Android/iOS as much as it is talking about maintaining their Android/iOS app when Android is so fragmented and convoluted.

Also, thank you to whoever recommended Episodes. It is awesome.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions? Maybe even this? Griffin BlueTrip Aux

Thanks, I just spent $60 on that via Amazon.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Let us know how that works because it looks perfect for my car.

Well, I was looking at double DIN head units with Bluetooth earlier this week, so if this works well, I will be happy (for a while).

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Let us know how that works because it looks perfect for my car.

Trip report for my Griffin BlueTrip: It was returned to Amazon for a full refund. I had a couple of problems with it.

1. I had to really crank up the stereo to get the same volume as I had before. Stereo goes from 0-30. When I was using a male to male aux cable, I could comfortably listen to podcasts at 10-12 volume at highway speeds. With the BlueTrip, I was cranking it to 20-22 to get the same levels. I could have lived with this.

2. There was a blue light that would blink on the BlueTrip letting you know it was on and paired every 15 seconds or so. The problem I had was when this blue light was on, my audio would make a popping sound. This developed after about a week of use.

3. I read reviews of the built-in mic, and knew that it wasn't that great. However, the few times I tried to use it, it was absolute garbage even when I tried to use it while in a parking lot.

For $60, I wasn't very impressed. For $100-125, I can get a head unit that has built in Bluetooth/Pandora support.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Zigmidge posted:

I used to use Air Playit for streaming videos. It's fast, lightweight, the ios app is quick and I like its file browser.

Ever since I paid for Splashtop, however, I just use that to play videos right on my PC. The video and audio quality is near perfect and I don't need to gently caress around with codecs or conversions.

I use Its Playing, but haven't updated the app since November. They removed some codecs. Since new users won't get all of the codecs, I second the Splashtop recommendation.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Javid posted:

Is there any app that can run on two iWhatevers and stream video from the camera of one to the screen of the other?

Facetime?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Chuck Bartowski posted:

The new Downcast update pretties it up somewhat and I've been happy with it
for a few weeks. Think I might have finally stopped switching between podcast apps.

The bigger deal to me is that they now support simultaneous downloads. The updated look is nice though.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Might not work for you, but I get around that by listening to a podcast while I shower/get ready in the morning.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Shampy posted:

Someone please recommend me a free podcast app alternative to the regular iOS one. I'd like an alternative since it seems like the iOS podcast app is broken on iOS7.

Pay the $0.99 for Downcast. It is my most used app, and I have no real complaints about it.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Kheldarn posted:

Update to the newest version (v1.1.0), which added a Clear Cache option in Settings.

That'd be a great idea if this was the Android app thread.

iOS is on 1.1.3, and has no such option.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

I recently switched from Keepass to Lastpass, and second this.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

PaganGoatPants posted:

Episodes has died (or something), so now I have nothing else. :negative:

Episodes is working again. They had server issues and had to upgrade.

While Episodes was down, I did find TeeVee 2. I like it other than the fact that it doesn't leave unwatched shows at the top. I'm going to use both for a while, but have used Episodes for so long that it will probably be the one I keep.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

PaganGoatPants posted:

This app is slick.

I love the look and feel of TeeVee 2, but Episodes still wins for me in terms of functionality. I like how Episodes groups things into Unseen, Upcoming, and To Be Announced. Unless I am missing something TeeVee 2 doesn't do that. It sorts by the next air date. I have to scroll through my whole list to see what I've missed.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

benisntfunny posted:

Settings -> Track Unwatched Episodes

Yeah, I got that part, but it still doesn't keep unwatched shows at the top of the queue. It sorts them by the next air date. I have over 50 shows added to it, so that can be a long list of things to scroll through looking for shows with unwatched episodes.

cryptoclastic posted:

Which "Episodes" do you use? I was using the one with the sorta TV with the check mark icon, but it pushes nothing to me any more.

That's the one I use. They had a server issue a couple of weeks ago, but that was resolved pretty quickly.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Zigmidge posted:

It probably is the only device on the planet to go obsolete like that. Even cell phones from a million years ago can still operate as a cellphone.

You sure about that? They made a ton of AMPS/TDMA phones even into the early 2000s that stopped working in 2008 when they shut down those analog networks.

the kawaiiest posted:

Guys, shut up and go get Marvin right now. It's free "for a very limited time".

e: it's an ebook reader in case you don't know, probably the best one out there.

Nice, thanks. I'm going to check this out.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

10-8 posted:

If money's the only criteria then I suppose LastPass works, but having used both LastPass and 1Password I would never choose LastPass. Putting aside that LastPass requires you to store your passwords on a server that can get hacked*, the UI is nowhere near as polished as 1Password.

* Yes, you can store your 1Password database in the cloud, too, but (1) it's just a file in your own separate Dropbox account, and (2) you don't have to if you're really paranoid.

LastPass just updated their UI a couple of weeks ago: http://blog.lastpass.com/2013/11/lastpass-30-is-here-new-design-new.html

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

mike- posted:

I must be grandfathered in then, but that's a little strange because I am on an iPhone 5. Could it be possibly because when I got my 5 it was setup from a backup?
I've only ever used the stock mail app.

Support ended Jan 2013, so you probably bought your 5 before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

eddiewalker posted:

Launching Airfoil on the phone and switching audio destinations on the Mac every time he wanted to watch YouTube would be way more work than just moving the headphone jack.

...move the headphone jack.

I'm still not sure this is a problem. If someone sends him a YouTube link via iMessage or email, won't the link show up on both the Mac and iPhone anyway?

Or if he opens it in Safari on the Mac, iCloud will sync the open tab over to the iPhone.

Yeah, or he could just move the headphones.

• Locked thread