Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Sure, Superman can have the occasional cosmic conqueror, but most of his villains should be tied to some real-world criminal racket (keep in mind that most villains still need to make a living somehow). It will make Superman feel a little more revelant.

There was a wonderful story on QI (A British panel show) about how a man had infiltrated the KKK, learnt about them, then written a script for the Superman radio show where Superman fights them. After the serial was finished, recruitment for the KKK dropped off to almost nothing. That's what a big deal Superman is.

That said, I still want to see a super throwdown on the big screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

In the book, Superman sort of addresses Black's points by insisting there is always a less lethal way of doing things, and demonstrates his point by capturing a bunch of aliens. He doesn't address the wider difficulties. For instance, Black points out that a lot of his villains will escape from prison and go on to kill again, and Superman is happy to simply lock them up again.

This is a debate that's had about Batman's villains too, isn't it? Especially the Joker.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Yes, I get this, but I take issue with the diegetic reason to explain why the heroes don't kill off their recurring villains. Killing is a huge taboo for superheroes, which makes them feel out of place among the wider range of action heroes that happily kill. Most action heroes, from maverick cops to Jedi Knights, kill their enemies and nobody complains.

But this is largely the point, as both Superman and Batman are more than people, they're ideals personified. If you discount textual reasons and need a diegetic one, Batman's psyche is pretty much held together by the thread that he is above those he hunts because he doesn't kill. It's the one moral high ground he can adopt.

Batman's kind of messed up

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

He wrote Chronicle; he knows more about superheros than you do.

As if I needed another reason to dislike this soggy bag of dicks.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Something I haven't seen mentioned here is that LARRY FUCKIN' FISHBURNE Is playing Perry White. At this point, I'm not sure there's anything that can get me more excited.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Captain Quack posted:

This! Most people didn't get Nolan when he said that he wanted to do a realistic portrait of Batman. It was in the characterization and and motivantions that he went for realism.
For the "world" he aimed for a hyperreality.
This is put very clear in the extras of the Batman Begins and in the interviews that he did.

Also when you watch the movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's harder to film someone being chased by a boulder while carrying a city.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Phylodox posted:

The human body itself is wildly inconsistent in how durable it is. People have survived skydiving accidents, free falling for thousands of feet, yet falling off a bicycle and hitting your head can easily kill you.

This reminds me of the windshield scenes in Avatar. There is a mentality of movie watching that kind of looks at it as a series of video game stats. "He cast arrow on that glass, why did it not break the first time but break the second?" While the real world is chaotic and random.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Exactly. People wanted "okay goku let's take this fight to a barren desert where we can REALLY cut loose" or at least The Avengers-style "dont worry everyones on a bus."

I still find it hilarious that before this film came out people were demanding a Superman movie where he "loving punches something already," and afterwards people were confused as to why there was so much destruction.

In a weird way, the sanitised destruction in the Avengers is more worrying. The way explosive energy bolts kept hitting a couple of feet away from pedestrians without hurting a single one. It ends up depicting an inter-dimensional battle that apparently has no significant consequences.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Luminous Obscurity posted:

In The Avengers everyone is too busy having fun to really think about it. Afterwards you can stop and think "Hm, a lot of people probably died." but during the film we are never really hit with this like we are in Man of Steel.

I really love how Man of Steel and The Avengers wound up being these warped reflections of each other.

Even more disturbingly, Avengers specifies how few people die, with the aforementioned "everything explodes but nobody gets hurt" sequence. It's right after the aliens bust through the wormhole. They do a big gun run on a bunch of parked cars and cafes. Everything explodes, but every pedestrian runs straight out of it unharmed. Even when 6 cars all do exploding flips, not a single one lands on the cops who were standing right next to them. Then, by the time the Avengers take on the aliens in kung fu fights, every one of the pedestrians in downtown New York has vanished in the space of a couple of minutes. Even when Thor and Hulk smash one of the flying dragon things into central station, not a single person gets squashed.
The Avengers is a seriously weird movie. With its idiot villain, (who is individually humiliated either mentally, physically or both by every member of the Avengers) paper mache enemies and consequence free carnage, it seems like a massive exercise in spending millions of dollars making sure no one feels anything.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DNS posted:

I felt the emotion of stokedness at seeing a bunch of cool poo poo happen.

It's the action scene equivalent of a cumshot compilation on Redtube. No set up, no hardship for the characters. Just them taking down wave after wave of moron enemies. Even the dragon things, which they kind of set up as something hard to beat, are getting taken out easily by the end of the sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

Has some faults sure, but name a movie that doesn't.

Police Story

• Locked thread