Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

That is totally the Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

WastedJoker posted:

The Twist might work if Krypton is intact but Zod ends up destroying it in the movie?

"Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
So, basically, Transformers?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The best superhero movies are Hancock, Hulk, The Twilight Saga: Twilight, Halloween 2007, Starcrash, Superman Returns, and Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. (Special mention - Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance).

(I'm not sure if I'd categorize The Dark Knight, Kick-rear end and Watchmen as superhero movies. They're more like 'dudes in costumes' movies.)

Wouldn't Dr. Manhattan move Watchmen solidly from the latter to the former?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Goreld posted:

Re: the first Superman movie, you also have to consider the music.

I haven't seen the new Superman film but the music is nowhere near as good as the original Superman movie (at least judging by the music previews, sure it sounds nice but it's not the same). Old John Williams soundtracks remain unmatched today; they're iconic and 99% of films don't come close to them.

As an example - off the top of your head, can you hum the theme to Avatar? The Nolan Batman films? Ask a random person, and odds are they don't remember a drat thing about the music. Ask someone to hum Star Wars, the theme to Jaws, the Superman theme, the Indiana Jones theme, and they'll remember instantly.

The music from then is more memorable after 30 loving years than most movies from a year ago are. And this isn't a case of 'remember because of rewatching' -- when the first Superman movie came out people were humming that theme and had it stuck in their heads immediately.

It's fairly interesting that you essentially picked out a body of work by John Williams from the biggest cultural event blockbusters in the 70s and from an entire different school of thought on incidental film scoring.

Zimmer music tends to be pretty memorable when intended to be, though. The Rock?

And Nolan Batman films also have memorable themes if nothing quite as iconic as Batman '89.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Is that Zod in shackles? Did I miss a memo?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Darko posted:

I heard Zimmer mostly ghostwrote that score and the theme, but wasn't supposed to because he was contracted to do something else. It's hard to tell with his collaborations. The best theme from Pirates is in the third one, anyway.

There was an embargo until like 11pm last night or something.

Out of curiosity, which do you think that is? I actually hugely prefer Up is Down to pretty much any bit of any other track out of the 3rd one, but Wheel of Fortune from the second one might be my favorite overall.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 11, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The_Rob posted:

Edit: like I dunno are people really so cynical that superman can't be the most ernest motherfucker around?

It's really important.

Superman and Cap are two of the most earnest characters around. I'll never not watch them.

I'm extremely tired of the try-hard faux-casual studious cynicism that permeates basically everything. It's just as condescending as old-school Supes can be patronizing, but personally I'm ready for the needle to tilt the other way. (See also: Star Trek Into Darkness)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 12, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought Returns entire point was that gritty cynicism is pointless and you should embrace hope and wonder?

It's kind of hard to pick that message out of that mess, I don't know.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought that was the whole point of Lois in that film. At the beginning she was cynical in regards to Superman, but by the end she has embraced his return and saw that the world did need him and what he represents.

I honestly don't think that 1-2 is borne out or supported by anything else in the movie, excepting the shuttle/jet rescue. So, great, ok, if we have Superman we would have 100% less Challengers and Columbias.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The Dark Knight movies are about Batman trying to take those tools and resources and responsibilities that he has and doing good things with them, and by and large failing.

When Joker plays his no-win scenario game theory tricks, Batman and Dent and Gordon at various points in the movies FAIL those tests. Only the random sampling of people of Gotham, and even the lower level criminals, on the ferries pass the test by refusing to participate.

That bit where Bats starts a merger with Lau's company in HK just to get a good look at his books to screw the mafia in Gotham City? That's funny poo poo.

At the most pedestrian level of looking at the films, the Dark Knight movies are dark tragicomedies with some good catharsis at the end of each. They're the best takes on the Batman lone wolf wingnut fantasy we could possibly have had. And I LIKE the character.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
What I'm hearing here is that Batman gets his back broken and Superman gets killed and Superman's the invulnerable one.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The weird semi-comparable parallel the discussion brings to mind is the grognard reaction to Optimus Prime executing Megatron and Sentinel Prime.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
That could still have been artificial insemination/fertilization.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
^^^ Catharsis doesn't have to be related to a "happy resolution", in fact it's most often used in (Greek) drama in relation to tragedy. Usually it means some kind of release related to going through any extremes of emotion. For example, TDK doesn't really end on an "up" note but has catharsis.

There are story beats and characteristics about Superman character (most often related to the Donner version, but also with these more classic comic runs) that certain audience take as given, as if any Superman ever depicted has already gone through it. Superman is always perfect, Superman can always control the fight, Superman never lies Superman never kills Superman never etc.

Yeah, none of that has happened or is even necessarily true, and enough of it has been disregarded even in many of the better non-movie (and non-MoS) takes on Superman.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Bird Law posted:

Spoilers here too.

The ship Zod was piloting at the end when Superman says "Krypton had its chance" and destroys it, was that the Kryptonian Scout ship from the arctic? For some reason I assumed it was but now I can't remember. Just curious, I liked the idea of the scout ship being in the sequel as the Fortress of Solitude and hopefully more scenes with Jor-El.

Yes, that's the scout ship. It's probably also a full-fledged colony ship (minus the worldmaker) since it has a birthing matrix. However, it ended up crashed and cut apart in the middle of Metropolis, so who knows what Superman's going to be able to do with it wrt Fortress of Solitude. Also his father's AI copy was apparently deleted from the scout ship and the House of El key ended up in the Phantom Zone, along with his other AI copy in the worldmaker slave.

quote:

Goyer has mentioned that empty pod in the scout ship a few times in the last few days, looks like they could really be considering the Supergirl angle for the sequel, could be interesting. (prequel comic spoilers).

Maybe just explaining what it was originally for for people asking questions. I dunno if going directly to Supergirl is the right way to go for a sequel to a movie where Superman just killed the other last remaining Kryptonians.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Next can we get RedLetterMedia's opinion on this wanton destruction and loss of life? Just to round out the collection.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Piedmon Sama posted:

Haha, I'm glad you had this thought too. I don't know, the slimmer Martha Kent and the somewhat abstract nature of their day-to-day (John Kent works in a garage when he's not being a farmer??) gave it this vibe to me too. Are we at the point now where we don't know what farmers do?

You see one scene of him walking out of some random garage and you come to the conclusion that he works there? I'm having some hard time with this thought process.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
So supposedly Superman vs Batman or Batman vs Superman or whatever will be filming at least partly in Detroit. As a stand-in for Metropolis post-invasion, perhaps?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Peace on Earth explains that he can't intervene that thoroughly because people would challenge him or deny him and to go one step further and just enforce it would be to compromise on everything he stands for.

Superman can never become politically active because by nature his supreme power would enforce that rather than allow people to make that choice, so he's stuck saving people from natural disasters and alien invasions because that's the only scenario where he can do unambiguously good things. There's a certain impotence to the nature of Superman as a force for good that I find quite interesting.

Going at infinite speed building toilets for 3rd world countries and, say, curing malaria (two activities combined that would thereby save tens of millions, low end estimate, in a decade) is becoming politically active?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

BrianWilly posted:

I'm not following this part. If civilian vigilantes are "appointed" by a democratically-elected government and ultimately answer to its decrees, how is it not functioning as part of the democratic system? It's a slightly different method of law enforcement, but I'm not seeing where in this process that the system itself has been invalidated. If the majority of all parties involved agree on how to do things, isn't that the very definition of democracy?

Nobody "appointed" Superman. Nobody pointed to a random guy off the street and said "you're an alien born of another world and here to inspire/save humanity". Superman could/would be Superman regardless of how the public or the government views him.

This has been (at the very loving least) problematic in the past. See also: superdickery.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
"Also, hey, Peter Parker, we held a vote and assigned you to be bitten by the radioactive spider.

But remember, with great powers comes great responsibility.

Good luck!"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Dacap posted:

This is exactly what Captain America's origin is though

That selection process was undemocratic as gently caress and made during wartime. It's kind of a fascistic power fantasy used against actual fascists. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Bob Quixote posted:

Considering the kind of poo poo that being Spider-Man makes you put up with it seems like a situation where you'd be better off just run away to Canada to escape the superhero draft.

I'd have given up at Brand New Day or whatever at latest. Aunt May? You had a good run. I'm gonna spend the rest of my days in the Alaskan wilderness, web-trapping moose for dinner.

• Locked thread