Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
God, I just love that this movie short-circuited the part of the Superman mythos that requires Lois Lane, a Pulitzer-winning and presumably supremely competent investigative journalist, to be functionally retarded. I don't know why no other movie or show did this. The whole "hiding his secret identity from someone who sees both iterations of him on a regular basis" has always just been beyond stupid.

Like a lot of people, I wasn't too keen on the scale of property and collateral damage displayed in this movie. I'll gladly revoke those reservations if they deal with it in the sequel. I think it's been mentioned, but it would make a great, logical plot point with which to introduce Lex Luthor.

Speaking of which, I liked that Kryptonian power armour bore a striking resemblance (to me, at least) to Luthor's typical suit. I'll be real disappointed if that doesn't lead somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Though he didn't willfully cause destruction himself, it's hard not to think he's directly responsible for it. Zod and his henchmen came to Earth for Kal-El because he activated the colony ship's distress beacon. Though most of the destruction was caused by the terraforming, a certainly not-inconsiderable amount of damage was caused by Superman punching Zod into things and being punched into things in turn. It certainly wouldn't be a stretch for Luthor to lay all of that at Kal-El's feet. It would be thematically appropriate, too, since they established that one of the few things godlike Superman needs to fear is rejection.

I was kind of bummed that they killed off Emil Hamilton, too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't know that I'd say inevitable. There are billions of stars in our galaxy alone, and I'm not even sure Krypton was in our galaxy, which would mean billions to the power of billions. I think Zod's confidence was overstated.

Even assuming that Zod was only visiting planets that showed signs of Kryptonian technology, Jor-El said they sent out thousands upon thousands of colony ships.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I wouldn't go so far as to agree with The_Rob, but I do wish they'd done more to humanize Superman. So much of the movie was treated with such overwhelming pomp and gravitas that we didn't really get a chance to get to know Superman as a person. Yeah, we know his history and we know he's fundamentally good, but I wish there had been more personality to him. The "are you effing stupid?!?" slash "I was raised in Kansas, I'm as American as it gets" scene at the end was great for that. I wish there'd been more like that and I hope they make room for it in the sequel.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Y'know what got me really excited about this movie? That dumb ad that was posted here a few weeks ago, the one with the construction crew that has to keep fixing Superman's pot-holes. I just loved that little "Sorry, bro" look he gives the foreman. Pretty much that was what I'd like to have seen more of in this movie. Making Superman grounded, give him some humour. Not to the levels of, like, Superman III, that just got silly, but somewhere in between.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
What about Superman IV: The Quest for Peace?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

spikenigma posted:

Somehow, I hope they get Oprah as Amanda Waller in the inevitable Justice League movie.

Could anybody else pull her character off?

CCH Pounder and Angela Bassett have each already played her, in animated and live action form, respectively.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

redshirt posted:

At some point, a super villain is like a cancer, and cannot be rehabilitated, but instead must be excised. Batman's game of catching, sending to Arkham, wherein they soon escape to kill again is a bit silly.

I think that's just an inevitable disadvantage of having a comic, a medium that's usually pretty static in terms of character development, run on for so very, very long. Personally, unless they make mention of it specifically, I usually just mentally re-write it so that the timeline is much shorter and Joker's only managed to escape a couple of times. Same with all of Batman's villains.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Personally, I think the final Zod/Kal-El fight would have benefitted greatly from simply being smaller. Stopping the terraforming was the huge, bombastic show-stopping action set piece. The final battle should have been more personal: two exhausted gods at the very extremes of their endurance standing in the ruins of Metropolis grimly battling to see whose ideology is stronger. No flying, no super-punching-through-buildings. Then have Zod, facing defeat and the death of his dream, turn his fury towards Lois and the bedraggled survivors, standing huddled against the ruins of a huge skyscraper. Superman has him in a headlock, but Zod strains towards the cornered humans, dragging his enemy step by agonizing step behind him. Lois has nowhere to run, and Zod is reaching out, trying to crush her with his bare hands while Kal begs him to stop. Then, with no other recourse, Superman kills Zod and the movie progresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The human body itself is wildly inconsistent in how durable it is. People have survived skydiving accidents, free falling for thousands of feet, yet falling off a bicycle and hitting your head can easily kill you.

• Locked thread