Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I hope there is less fixation on Superman himself and more focus on the people he tries to help. It would do more to justify the sycophantic adulation he receives. I'm pretty tired of Superman stories where he just swaggers around Metropolis, waiting to be challenged by a jealous super-villain who is eager to knock him off his pedestal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

casa de mi padre posted:

I thought this would be stupid as gently caress based on Superman in handcuffs but this one bit in the trailer really made me feel like the movie might actually tackle some weighty issues.

Clark: So I should've just let them die?
Pa Kent: Maybe so.

And if nothing else it looks like it will have some superb visuals, so even if it's a lovely take on Superman it won't be a total loss.
Reminded me of a Star Trek episode where Capt Picard reprimands Dr Crusher for rescuing an injured alien from a primitive culture.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

GazChap posted:

Surely that would only last until such time as they demonstrated their awesome powers, though?
I think he means his sincerity. They wouldn't believe a man with that much power could avoid becoming a dick.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a Jim Lee thing, yeah. It's part of what makes him a bad artist.
Jim Lee sucked as in the 90s, but his art has improved considerably since then. He's one of DC's best artists. Besides, these lines on the costumes can easily be removed without compromising the overall design, so I suspect this will happen soon.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The trouble is that people consistently avoid the idea that Superman is a metaphorical character. Why does his suit not burn up? Because he's a loving cartoon - the impossible ideal self that the Clark Kents of the world wish they could be.

Superman operates according to dream logic, or cartoon logic, or whatever you want to call it. What's bullshit is when people come up with these pseudo-scientific explanations for this stuff, like he has a quantum-particle midichlorian aura that keeps his suit laundry-fresh. Everyone should just say "how can he do that? it's impossible" and leave it at that.

Superman's 'one weakness' is kryptonite, but what good films like Superman Returns understood is that kryptonite is just a metaphor for nihilism. Keep in mind that it's radioactive, and first appeared in comics around 1949 - not long after Hiroshima, in other words. Superman's weakness, given that he is a cartoon, is the blunt horror of reality. He's like Tinkerbell in the sense that he can only live if you clap your hands and believe in him 'irrationally' - and it's cynical disbelief that defeats him. Superman isn't powered by midichlorians - kryptonite is.
Oh come on! Coming up with pseudo-scientific explanation for superpowers is one of the great joys of reading and writing superheroes!

Superman's 'one weakness' is kryptonite, but what good films like Superman Returns understood is that kryptonite is just a metaphor for nihilism. Keep in mind that it's radioactive, and first appeared in comics around 1949 - not long after Hiroshima, in other words. Superman's weakness, given that he is a cartoon, is the blunt horror of reality. He's like Tinkerbell in the sense that he can only live if you clap your hands and believe in him 'irrationally' - and it's cynical disbelief that defeats him. Superman isn't powered by midichlorians - kryptonite is.
Kryptonite was just a plot device the radio show came up with to allow the voice actor to take time off. Superman would be disabled by kryptonite for the duration of an episode while the supporting cast carried the story. Then they introduced variant colors that had amusing effects. That's all it is: a plot device.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It's what distinguishes a true comic nerd from the new legions of mainstream superhero fans who think they're one of us just because they liked The Dark Knight and The Avengers.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Fightest posted:

You look at, I don't know, human trafficking, use of child soldiers, organ trade, or whatever cosmic-scale metaphor you can come up for them, and you have to be able to go "yep, Superman is going to come in and solve this without fail," because the alternative is generally too horrific to imagine.
I read newspaper stories about these things and always think "man I wish I was Superman so that I could beat these bastards up and expose them in the Daily Planet." But they'd rather give us Superman fighting powerful aliens who want to knock him down.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I always believed that every supervillain should be intimately associated with some category of real world crime. No more Jokers who are just in it for the lulz or Brainiacs with fantastical motives. Special bonus if the villain's powers complement his criminal speciality. That way, the superhero can deal with a real issue, but you also get a nice super-brawl.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the 90s cartoon, Jor-El placed a Phantom Zone device in his son's ship. He had a plan to evacuate everyone to the Phantom Zone except for one guy who could find a new planet, open a door and bring everyone out. I think he forgot to remove it when that fell apart.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Sure, Superman can have the occasional cosmic conqueror, but most of his villains should be tied to some real-world criminal racket (keep in mind that most villains still need to make a living somehow). It will make Superman feel a little more revelant.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know, it seems like a personification of Justice would be well-matched with ideologically motivated villains -- you just have to be willing to sometimes villainize philosophies other than "pure selfishness" and "hatred of all life."

EDIT: would vs. wouldn't :downs:
The villains should have a grounding in reality, otherwise you're just talking very vague stuff that means little. At worst, you get a Grant Morrison villain, who spouts a lot of silly stuff about good and evil but in practice is just a weirdo who likes killing people.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Fightest posted:

I think we're arguing towards the same point. While it is clumsy - you're right - to have Superman literally beat up a banana republic dictator, for example, it is entirely appropriate for him to beat up Darkseid - the cosmic representation of fascism itself. It becomes allegorical, but the values are still there - good and morality win over subjugation and oppression.

Much the same with any of the horrible real-world poo poo out there - while Superman may well be out-of-place beating up organ traffickers and African warlords, attaching a larger-than-life villain to represent these and having Superman fight them is fine. They just have to be villains you love to hate, there can never be doubt that they are assholes and need to be taken down.
My thought is a super-villain who runs a massive child sex-trafficking ring. We can see Superman beat up somebody whom we have a proper reason to hate and rescue genuine victims of the kind we agonize over in the news all the time.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

I said come in! posted:

That honestly doesn't sound interesting at all even on paper. It doesn't feel like the plot to a superhero movie.
Throw in a super-villain and you can have the colorful fight you need. Not every story has to be Brainiac shrinking Metropolis.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Fightest posted:

Much the same with any of the horrible real-world poo poo out there - while Superman may well be out-of-place beating up organ traffickers and African warlords, attaching a larger-than-life villain to represent these and having Superman fight them is fine. They just have to be villains you love to hate, there can never be doubt that they are assholes and need to be taken down.
Maybe my proposal for a child trafficker was a little touchy, but its the touchiest issues that rile us the most, eh?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Superman gains the power to shoot rainbow beams that cure cancer. But investigative reporter Lois Lane discovers that the beams are powered by child molestation. The world has a decision to make.
Actually, Superman gains the ability to conjure a miniature clone of himself which has all his powers.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Rhyno posted:

I both love and hate that scene. I mean the guy deserved a whuppin' but I really wish it had gone another way. Superman as a bully rubs me the wrong way.
Does he not deserve justice for himself?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

casa de mi padre posted:

I disagree. Superman's parents aren't perfect, Superman is perfect. Pa Kent isn't sure of the right answer, but Superman is always sure. That scene is key for insight into the advanced moral development of Superman.
Pa Kent is also right in that there could be very dire consequences if he is exposed. He has a responsibility to protect his own family. The people he saved might not even be grateful for his help, as they might not be able to get over the fact that he is a super-powered alien. It's a very valid concern. Clark resolves the problem by adopting a secret identity.

Is Superman supposed to be perfect? As in Jesus perfect?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 20, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Superman manages to avoid becoming a dick despite his awesome power, which suggests to me he's good a lot of inherent goodness too (just trying raising a kid whom you cannot physically overpower).

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Delzuma posted:

Does he know what MySpace is? Does he know who won the last World Series or the last American Idol?

Gyges posted:

Oh come on, it's not like he's Captain America. If he didn't know what MySpace was or who won the last World Series all of his principles and ideas would clearly be empty.
Delzuma was quoting a line from Civil War: Frontline #11. Some idiot was questioning his relevancy based on his knowledge of current pop culture.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 21, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Rhyno posted:

The DVD is decent but doesn't even come close to the comic it's based off of. Action Comics #775 brought me back to Superman after years away. It's the single best modern Superman story of the past 20 years. All Star Superman is amazing but it's more of a classic tale. Action #775 gave us this

THAT is my Superman, right there.
I was never very comfortable with that issue. If the Elite are a pastiche of the Authority, then their flaws are exaggerated. The Authority weren't that nasty. They wouldn't rain acid on the families of their enemies. Nor were any of them such whiny bitches (in a typical story, they suffered far worse injuries and torture than what Superman does to the Elite). They took care to avoid collateral damage and were often concerned about just how much power they were exerting over mankind. They often fought the government, but these figures were often satirical caricatures - every silly cliché about puppet presidents and corrupt CEOs.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 22, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

That series of pages often gets trotted out as an example of how great and noble Superman should be - but its morality is almost-literally straight out of an episode of 24 in which Jack Bauer successfully tortures an alleged terrorist(?) by forcing him to watch the slow execution-murder of his entire family.

Surprise! Their deaths were simulated using special effects, so nobody was really hurt ho ho ho.

Of course, the implicit message is that we can and will violate you if we want to. You are at our mercy, as even your very perceptions are under our control. The only way to be secure is to submit to our power.
I think the point was to show the Elite how their victims feel, and to show the world what a whiny, hypocritical bitch Manchester Black is. Superman doesn't do anything that he doesn't normally do his enemies, so it's unfair to label this as sadistic torture. He's downright nice in that he fights ways to take them out without inflicting permanent injury.

The book didn't really address the points the Elite make. It's pretty much just Superman saying "I'm comfortable with my way of doing things, you guys are ugly and vulgar, so let's agree to disagree." Which is fine, I guess. The Elite really were vulgar and excessive and I'd pick Superman over them any day, but picking a hero over a bunch of grotesque straw men doesn't really settle an argument.

There was a follow-up story a year or so later where Manchester Black fakes the murder of Lois to see if that would drive Superman to kill. When Superman vows to bring Black in alive despite his pain, Black decides he's worthless and commits suicide. That made me smirk a little.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The world of the Authority was just as nonsensical and sensational as the DC Comics world. The storylines of the Authority closely resembled the storylines of 90s JLA. The difference was that the Authority preferred to execute their opponents, and sometimes their opponents were back by corporate or government entities that they were happy to crush as well.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Burkion posted:

This varies, but Cap is generally a lot less idealistic and is more a realist who wants to be an idealist. He's a soldier first and foremost, and while he wouldn't want to kill some one, wouldn't object to it either.
Interesting thought: if killing a person, no matter how vile, will drat the hero's soul, what of all our war heroes? What of Audie Murphy, the greatest war hero of WW2, who had 240 confirmed kills? What of the SEALs who killed bin Laden? When is Joe Kelly going to do a comic about these guys?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the book, Superman sort of addresses Black's points by insisting there is always a less lethal way of doing things, and demonstrates his point by capturing a bunch of aliens. He doesn't address the wider difficulties. For instance, Black points out that a lot of his villains will escape from prison and go on to kill again, and Superman is happy to simply lock them up again.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 23, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Wonder Woman hasn't been covered be she does kill every now and then.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 23, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Bob Quixote posted:

In defense of a fictional character, the only reason his villains escape is to give the writers something to write about and the readers some familiar characters to entertain themselves with. The debate is a false one brought about by the serial nature of comic stories and their endless sliding timescale. The Joker has a massive bodycount because he's been murdering guys for over 60 years at this point. Even Gacy or Dahmer would probably have started to taper off if they were in their in their 80's but the clown is still going strong because he is eternally in his 30's and is popular enough with readers that he breaks out of jail whenever a writer needs him for a set-piece.

Even within the fiction its pretty ridiculous that the Gotham penal system doesn't have a better way of dealing with Batmans rogues gallery who by and large aren't usually superhuman.
Yes, I get this, but I take issue with the diegetic reason to explain why the heroes don't kill off their recurring villains. Killing is a huge taboo for superheroes, which makes them feel out of place among the wider range of action heroes that happily kill. Most action heroes, from maverick cops to Jedi Knights, kill their enemies and nobody complains.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ChikoDemono posted:

He fought child support.

Superman is in a no-win situation in regards of how he subdues his foes. If he kills/harms them, he's being a godlike tyrant who looks down on puny humans. If he hands them to the proper authorities, he's not doing enough despite his great powers.

I liked the Superman and Justice League cartoon portrayals where he was forced in situations where his humble upbringings were challenged. He almost murdered Darkseid until Batman pulled him away. He suspended habeas corpus for Doomsday and sent him to the phantom zone. He made himself look like an idiot because he didn't trust one of Luthor's charity schemes.
Batman stopped Superman because they had to get out of that exploding base. They left Darkseid to die.

There was an episode, though, where Supergirl stopped him from killing Darkseid because that would make him just as vile. The girl seemed totally unaware at what was at stake.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Superman could offer all sorts of excuses why he won't kill.

"I'm too squeamish"
"I'd be branded a murderer by the law, and I want to remain on good terms with the authorities"
"It's not my obligation to kill villains."
"If I slip up and kill too many or kill the wrong people, I would kick of a shitstorm I couldn't control."

All of these are acceptable excuses and I wouldn't resent him for using them.

Superman for the most part doesn't go out of his way to thwart heroes who do kill. He will even associate with them. This may be why Joe Kelly made the Elite especially violent and vulgar, because it wouldn't have made sense for Supes to oppose them when he tolerates Wonder Woman and Orion and other heroes who occasionally kill.

Dan Didio posted:

If only that cartoon character had been as canny as you, she'd have known about all the children Darkseid abused.
Every heard of Granny's Orphanage? He does it on an industrial scale.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 23, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Gyges posted:

The conflict between recurring villains and the morality of superheroes as said villains continue to wrack up kill counts is best simply ignored. I don't really care what the "in universe" reason Batman doesn't kill the Joker after his 500th post escape murder is, because with very few exceptions the guy coming up with that reason is going to be a hack. Mainstream American Comics refuse to allow any real progress, instead insisting on insane sliding time scale calculations and universe wide reboots to keep all the characters in the original packaging.

So when Darkseid commits to the 15th full scale invasion of Earth, the logic hoop jumping reasoning behind Superman not finishing him off is as pertinent as the hand waving that allows everything that's happened in the Marvel universe to have only happened in something like a decade. It's nice that they make fumbling attempts to pretend there is no man behind the curtain, but you really should just ignore that imposing projection.

If you start picking at the times the heroes refusal to kill was the morally wrong thing to do, you're treading down the path which leads to even more story breaking inconsistencies. With so many super geniuses running around how is technology at current levels? With so many alien invasions why is their space program in the same state as ours? With so many pretend super tech or magical countries around how the hell has history been all but exactly parallel to us with the US retaining it's lone Super Power status? Why do criminals still shoot at Superman? And the questions continue on and on.
Yeah, I too feel the reasons are best overlooked, which is why I was uncomfortable with Kelly's book.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
How anti-heroic were the Authority anyway, aside from their willingness to kill?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Kelly's book might have been more powerful if Manchester Black and Superman politely debate the practical considerations involved in sparing or killing one's enemies. Maybe Black could have quoted Machiavelli or Sun Tzu. Perhaps Superman could have pointed out the possibilities of rehabilitating certain villains, the legal liabilities of excess destruction, or the importance of maintaining a good image in the eyes of the government and the public. Perhaps they could have invited to the table an immortal who lived in more savage times, like Shining Knight or Jason Blood. Perhaps he could have talked to superheroes who kill but with more restraint and calculation.

Instead, Kelly gives us a mostly emotional reaction.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Alex Ross and Paul Dini did a Superman book called Peace on Earth where Superman doesn't fight a single supervillain but tries to address down-to-Earth problems like famines. He also did similar books for Batman and Wonder Woman. Not one supervillain or absurd crisis, just the superhero and the little guy. Yes, there was nothing graphic like child traffickers, but it was still about the little guy. These were some of the most moving comics I've read.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 25, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Lex cannot be stopped by violence, and has the means to make every way of stopping him a challenge to Superman's paragon nature.
Well, yes he can be stopped by violence, but it would be too easy if Superman dropkicked Lex the minute he saw him (he could have easily gotten away with it on that crystal island). As soon as Lex dons that green power armor of his, suddenly he becomes as punchable as any other villain. Superman's moral code is to never crush a villain such that he can never recover to challenge him again in another adventure, and to not do it too swiftly either.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 26, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kurzon posted:

If Man of Steel proves to be awesome, then suddenly their going to be a lot of new Superman fans running around claiming that they were always big Superman fans at heart, and these will include people who barely a month earlier said Superman was lame and that Batman could kick his rear end any day.
This isn't YouTube. If you want to post, you join the discussion.

teagone posted:

No.

In other news, a new UK TV spot hit and shows some new footage: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=104117&utm_source=feedly
Although this is a reboot, Jor-El is still giving his son a messianic mission. Was it always like this in the comic books?

Was that Clark attacking that fighter jet? I wouldn't mind seeing Superman do some Hulk-style fighting with the military.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think it's an optical illusion. His arms seem to project from the sides of his head, so they look a little short. We don't often see people strike this pose.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

GonSmithe posted:

Look at this motherfucker.
How much can he move in that getup? I bet he's some sort of noble and this his way of signalling that he doesn't have to do any sort of physical work.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

scary ghost dog posted:

They're bent at the elbow towards the camera.

Edit: Also, they've been photoshopped to be shorter so they fit on the poster.
I think this settles it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
From what I've read in the reviews, it's an OK adaptation of Superman in the same way as Batman Begins was an OK adaptation of Batman.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The only thing I can reproach about this film is that the actors are too deadpan. The only emotion Zod expresses is anger. The only emotion the humans express is fear. Zod is ANGRY, Superman is taking everything cool, and everyone else is terrified of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
For the love of God, put spoiler tags before they ban you.

Useless Rabbit posted:

I saw it again last night (free screening and turned up waaaaaay too loud) and I found even more problems than I did the first time I watched it:

- If Clark was so worried about exposing himself as Superman to humanity, why not just fly up to the Kryptonian ship in orbit alone? Why turn himself in to the military only for them to turn him straight over to Zod anyway? Wouldn't that be possibly risking more lives than is necessary?
Good point. Maybe he wanted to make it clear that he was a nice guy and on their side. He was planning for the future, maybe.

quote:

- Why did Zod want Lois on the ship? She mentions that they brain scanned her or whatever, but apparently none of that information is used or needed. They didn't even glean the fact that she pocketed the key Superman gave her just minutes before. It seems like they needed her because plot.
It was mentioned that Lois actually published her theory that aliens are among us (Perry chewed her rear end off for this). They wanted to know what she knew.

quote:

- Why did the military put soldiers on the ground in Smallville after their Warthog attacks did absolutely nothing to Faora and the big man? Why put soldiers in that dangerous position when they've seen exactly what happens when using their more powerful weapons? Again, probably so we can have a scene with Christopher Meloni telling his guys that Superman is on our side.
Give them a break. It's their first time fighting aliens and it took them a while to understand that all of their weapons were useless. Fog of war and all that.

quote:

- If Zod has a ship that can go anywhere in space, why does he choose to stay on Earth and terraform it? This new Zod is written as a soldier but not a genocidal psychopath. That's a big jump in evilness.
Zod's ship probably has limited range and can't go everywhere. Every Kryptonian colony they visited was dead. Earth was in range and the Codex was there.

• Locked thread