Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The gt6 is beautiful I agree. A 2.5 tonner will be helpful for carrying it around when it breaks :haw:

Also Jut has the worst taste in "classic" cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jut posted:

I was going for the 'something different yet affordable' approach. Don't knock the SD1 though, it's a big brute of a car that goes like stink when you put your foot down.

MGBs are bad?

No, I love MGBs (they have their faults) but the sd1 (although a straight line monster) is only effective at turning petrol into noise and would have its rear end handed to it in the land of the v8. The Firenza calls to a very specific type of person - someone who wants a fancy viva.

I'm kidding mainly, I wouldn't have thought of suggesting either of those to an American.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If there's no rust that's a bargain.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

As a certified British person, allow me to say: engine swaps are cool with us, go for it. Don't get killed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Deuce and a half to recover the gt6, a match made of necessity.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Make the 5-tonner a mobile workshop, repair rather than recover.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fix the car, take him to the track in it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Hit it with a hammer

Serious post, do this (to the starter)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

whiskas posted:

Take a voltmeter to the starter (the thick rear end red cable going into it, and a ground) and you're getting a minimum of 12V, chances are you have a lovely ground or connection somewhere. The clacking noise you hear is the drive gear not having enough power to fully extend and just uselessly spins against the flywheel.

Nope

quote:

I hooked it up to a battery box and let it charge for a while, and now the starter will engage with a *thunk* and not turn over any more. Maybe a half-assed spin.

Sounds like the solenoid extends perfectly, then the starter doesn't spin the engine adequately, if at all. Putting a voltmeter across the battery while trying to spin it up will bee interesting. Either it maintains 12v indicating the starter is toast, or it drops below 12v, indicating the battery is toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

8V when cranking is a hosed battery. Do you have another one you can try?

• Locked thread