Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
This feels like my kinda place. I love me some hard games.

I might even make a one-off for this here thread... if I can find a hard game I like that hasn't been played out to death.

Maybe the Hunt For Red October on the NES. That's kind of hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh man. Startropics is one of my favorite games of all time. It was pretty hard when I borrowed it from a friend when I was 10 years old; I never got past the Ghost Village. Don't know if I'd call it that hard of a game, but the end is pretty drat tough.

I think I'm going to enjoy this.

Though you didn't show off the coolest trick of all; skipping the C-Serpent fight entirely.

FreezingInferno fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 9, 2013

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Do Or Do Not, There Is No Hard Game: Let's play Super Star Wars!

Well, here's an interesting little specimen. Released by JVC and Sculptured Software in 1992, it's Super Star Wars! JVC had previously released a Star Wars game for the NES in 1991, but this one is a much better game because it's SUPER. With 16 bit graphics and Mode 7 and stuff. Oh and also because it's a legitimately good action platforming game, with lots of running and gunning. One of those rare instances where a video game based on a movie wasn't total garbage. I suppose it helps that the game came out 15 years after the movie in question, so they had no need to rush development or anything.

This game can also be one tough little bastard. It doesn't rely on instant death traps to kill you(though there are a few along the way!). Rather, the game will throw lots of enemies at you and slowly drain your life away. For the most part, the game is pretty fair with its difficulty and you can blast through it... barring a few "unfortunate" segments. I'll be playing on Jedi Mode (read: Hard Mode) because this is the hard game thread and it feels appropriate. Hard mode doesn't really change much beyond giving you a little less health. If you can beat the game on Normal, you can probably pull it off on hard.

Part 1: In Which We Laugh At The Slaughter Of Jawas
Part 2: In Which Luke Skywalker Goes Nuts With His New Plasma Blaster
Part 3: In Which Luke Discovers That Hokey Religions Are Nothing Next To A Good Blaster At Your Side
Part 4: In Which Han Shoots First.... At Everything
Part 5: In Which The Ability To Destroy A Planet Is Insignificant Next To The Power Of A Plasma Blaster

FreezingInferno fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 26, 2013

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I've tried playing Super Empire. Good lord. no. The crazy thing is, I rented it as a kid once and I can remember making it to Cloud City. I had to have been playing on Easy because I can't understand how I did it.

Thankfully this game is much more fair. Barring like, one boss. But that's not for a while yet.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Hey, let's see what Luke Skywalker's up to! Oh, still killing everything alive on Tatooine. You keep this streak up, Luke, you'll end up like your dad! Well, at least we're past the first really hard level of the game. The other hard levels aren't for a while... but they are all in a row. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now...

Part 2: In Which Luke Skywalker Goes Nuts With His New Plasma Blaster

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Yeah, guess who died to that frickin' lava the first time he got to the end of the sandcrawler stage. :argh: You're right about the floating rocks too! Maybe you can see them as you approach and climb up, but I'm pretty sure it's just a leap of faith.

To the best of my knowledge the game doesn't quite do any "surprise" platforming like that again. Still plenty of dick moves left.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Danzel Glovington posted:

There's also a helpful glitch you can abuse to make the boss inside the sandcrawler not load up at all. If you hold R as you're falling down and keep it held the entire time you're in that lava area, the boss and Artoo Deeto won't load and you can just jump to the end of the screen and the level ends.

I just tried this. Holy mother of god you weren't freaking kidding. :stare: It doesn't even mess up your jumping any.

...you got any glitches to make the Kalhar Boss Monster a joke?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I must have looked at this GIF 100 times, and I'm just now realizing that Bright Man is riding the spike wall.

Good job Luke, you made it-- oh. oh dear.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Been a little while! Today we're going to kill more of the native life on Tatooine, and piss off the Empire for good measure.

Part 3: In Which Luke Discovers That Hokey Religions Are Nothing Next To A Good Blaster At Your Side

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Good god. I never really stopped to think about just how dickish the Ghost Village was. It certainly was where I stopped when I borrowed this game from a friend as a child. Even if I had made it, the next chapter would have stopped me cold because I didn't have... well, you know. The thing.

Also I'm pretty sure the Shyguy face is supposed to be a skull, with the bottom tiles as "teeth".

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Luke takes a backseat to Chewie and Han Solo today. They're going to start bar fights and cause thousands of credits' worth of property damage for Mos Eisley. Oh yeah, and we've gotten past the worst boss in the game. And are on the last few stages. Surprise.

Part 4: In Which Han Shoots First.... At Everything

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

This is it! We're gonna beat the game, and the surprisingly short Death Star segments that are left! The Force is with us! I recall there was a person who showed interest in posting a speedrun once I was done. I'd love to see that. Just sayin'.

Part 5: In Which The Ability To Destroy A Planet Is Insignificant Next To The Power Of A Plasma Blaster

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Yeah, I tried Super Empire with giddy excitement not long after I beat SSW for the first time. It did not go very well at all.

Like, I could be totally wrong here, but it felt like they just took Super Star Wars and made it arbitrarily harder. The "throw everything and the kitchen sink at the player" approach. I really wasn't enjoying myself, it was just a sort of suffering. Not my kind of hard game tea. If someone else wants to do Super Empire and Super Jedi, please do! Prove me wrong and show that those games have good points! (Can't speak for or against Super Jedi, beyond messing with it briefly years ago)

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I got lucky because when I borrowed the game from my friend in the pre-Internet days I never got past Ghost Village.

By the time I got back to it, the Internet was a thing and the mystery was easily solved. It's still a cute little trick though.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Good god, that green goop stage looks tough. Like the regenerating walls at the start of Life Force, but way harder.

Glad to see you back at Gradius V, though. I've been on a big Gradius kick recently, and V is the only one I can't get my hands on yet. I'm usually not much of a shmup guy, but for some reason I really like Gradius. Maybe because once you get fully powered up you're a tiny god, barring unexpected mistakes.

I would play one of the older ones for the thread, but I kind of already played a video game for it and I wouldn't want to "overdo" it or whatever.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
poo poo, I just beat Contra III on Hard the other day. It took me a few continues to do, but by god I did it. A no-death run on Hard is going to be pretty damned impressive.

I can't wait to see just how the hell you manage the stage 5 boss. That on Hard mode is just fricking ludicrous.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
drat, we're dropping a lot of Contra into this thread all of a sudden. I just might do a quick run-through of Operation C on the Game Boy now; that's a game I know I can do a no-death run of. It was also my first Contra, and I didn't even know what Contra WAS until years later.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I didn't know about fast rotate when I beat the game on hard. My strategy amounted to the following:

-Save a Crush gun and shoot at it with the normal gun until inevitable death
-Drop a bomb upon revival, and use invincibility time to shotgun the eye with Crush for a second or two
-Switch back to regular gun and die again in a few seconds
-Repeat until dead.

Your way seems much easier.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I am all for this guest commentary thing with Startropics 2. Countering how goddamned silly it is by having other people there to react to its silliness and laugh at it makes it infinitely more entertaining.

Oh yeah, speaking of hard games! All the Contra madness from the other day inspired me to do a quick runthrough of the first one I ever played. Please enjoy yourselves as we take on Probotector Operation C!

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I've dabbled with Journey To Silius and I'd call it pretty difficult. I believe I made it to stage 3 before running out of continues.

If you can rock it, then by all means fire away with it.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh my lord this thread really has gone Contra crazy. That, plus the Contra 3 race I was part of last week, made me go back to Contra 4. On Hard mode. I think it might be my favorite Contra game, and I'm strongly considering popping a no-death Hard Mode run of the game in here.

Also someone's playing Contra Force for this thread? I have not heard kind words about that one. You have my sympathies.

Oh yeah, and for Hard Corps, take on the research center next.

FreezingInferno fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 27, 2013

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Two Screens And A Lot Of Guns: Let's Play Contra 4

The Contra madness continues! Here's Contra 4. It was released in 2007 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series, and developed by Wayforward. You know, those guys who made Shantae. And that Wendy The Witch game for Game Boy Color that was a Metal Storm clone for children. Yeah, those guys. Contra 4 was received very well upon release, and it's probably the best Contra game since Contra Hard Corps. It's also pretty drat difficult. Adding to that, I'll be playing it on Hard. Because that's just how you do these sorts of things.

Now let's blow up some aliens and keep our eyes on two screens at once.

In which we get a remix for playing no holds barred on Hard mode

In which the level name is somewhat misleading and we get the best weapon of the game

In which we discover that Crush Missiles would have broken Contra in 1988

In which Wayforward attempts to one-up Contra III, both in over-the-top action setpieces and devilish enemy placement

Trains are okay, but I like my jetski!

I'm not sure what's being built here, but I'm going to blow it up.

Swarms of enemies, dual screen focusing required, and some minibosses for the hell of it? I'm game.

I sure hope you've got your finger on the jump button, because those turrets are quick on the draw.

Thousands of people get eaten by a big alien ant and we go inside it. Also, the ultimate Contra 1 callback; the Spread gun is overpowered as hell.

FreezingInferno fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 26, 2013

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Let's shoot some aliens in the laboratory! Except that's only a quarter of the level. The rest is something else for some reason. I kind of feel like I've been lied to... but that upgraded Crush gun kind of makes up for it.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
How about some more double screen Contra 4 action? Double update dual screen action at that. Because Stage 3 took me all of 2 minutes and I wanted to throw out a little more than that.

In which we discover that Crush Missiles would have broken Contra in 1988

In which Wayforward attempts to one-up Contra III, both in over-the-top action setpieces and devilish enemy placement

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

slowbeef posted:

I know they take the skin off the Stage 7 boss, but what do they do for him in later versions? I think I have to do that game just for the blatant copyright infringement bosses.

They make him into a winged gargoyle man of some kind.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
It's always Contra time in the Hard Games Thread. These levels are too drat short, I keep having to toss two of them at once out. Anyways.

Trains are okay, but I like my jetski!

I'm not sure what's being built here, but I'm going to blow it up.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

dis astranagant posted:

The Ecco games probably qualify as hard games and have amazing Genesis music, just sayin.

I beat both Ecco games and I wouldn't wish that experience on anybody.

But if some poor soul takes it on regardless, you bet I'd watch it.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
This is really weird. I just beat Adventures Of Batman And Robin on the SNES yesterday. Hard game coincidences are a hell of a thing. That game was great (and it'd be a fit for the thread!) but I've not seen much of this Genesis one. It's quite different from the SNES one; I'm getting a real Gunstar Heroes vibe, what with the perspective and the waves of enemies and the melee attacks.

It looks like a neat game, but tough.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Mine too. I would not wish that game on my greatest enemy. This is what the hard games do to us.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Contra, you say? Let's have some more Contra 4 fun then. We're getting awfully close to the end of the game here, but the difficulty is ramping right the hell up. As it should.

Swarms of enemies, dual screen focusing required, and some minibosses for the hell of it? I'm game.

I sure hope you've got your finger on the jump button, because those turrets are quick on the draw.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

slowbeef posted:

Let's Play The Revenge of Shinobi

So glad to see Shinobi in here. This game absolutely belongs in a Hard Game Thread. It's pretty drat relentless. Personally I prefer the other Shinobi games on the Genesis. Shadow Dancer is a great sort of "arcade action" game and I love it. Shinobi III is my favorite Genesis game; it's basically everything good about Revenge of Shinobi, but without any of the... let's say questionable design decisions that make it a hard game without mercy. It's fair hard.

Maybe I'll do a Shadow Dancer run once I finish Contra 4. I have the final stage all recorded, and it's just a matter of talking about it and junk.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Time to end our double-screen Contra adventures with one hell of a stage. It's pretty hard, but in a good way that makes you really want to get better at it. It's my favorite after the Harbour stage, for sure.

Oh, and pour one out for the Crush Missiles. Faithful little rockets they may be, but I needed some different firepower. Thanks for watching and stuff!

Thousands of people get eaten by a big alien ant and we go inside it. Also, the ultimate Contra 1 callback; the Spread gun is overpowered as hell.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

DeathChicken posted:

Let's Play Spiderman and Venom: Maximum Carnage!

I remember borrowing this game from a friend in school years ago. It had a bright red cart, kind of like Doom on the SNES. This game is hard as hell and I never got very far in it... but the music is so good.

I'll be watching. Thanks for this.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
From a purely aesthetic point of view, Welcome To The Machine is pretty brilliant. Deadly, swarming with monsters, ready to kill you at every turn, and blaring NOISE at you the entire time.

Of course this is at odds with actually playing the thing, which drove me into a frenzy the likes of which I didn't think possible.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Good job surviving the Machine. I almost love how god damned cheeky the designers were with giving you the password to the last boss after you beat it. Like, you guys are goddamn sadistic.

What I do like is how NNNNNNNN is a legitimate password to get to the Machine. It's just perfect because that's the high pitched whining noise you'll be making when you first try that level.

Anyway, good work. So.... when are we gonna get to the Tides Of Time? :allears:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Chiming in to say I'd love to see Bionic Commando. It's tough enough to qualify.

I also had the idea for a BC megathread, but I too lack a reliable way to record the ReArmed games and the 2009 game.

But yeah, pop the NES/arcade one in here if you like.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh god. Bayou Billy. This is a game I had as a child. I liked the level where you shoot guys with a lightgun, at least. Too bad the beat em up portion is such a slog, and the driving is... well, I'll let you get to that.

I'll say one thing though. Seeing Mad City... good god. :stare: I knew it was supposedly "easier" than Bayou Billy, but actually seeing it in action made my jaw drop at how much easier it is. drat it, Konami. You screwed me over in 1995 with this hard as hell nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
The Mad City car levels... Konami... why? Why? That is more than just tweaking the level to make it a "little" harder. They redid the entire thing to make it ridiculous.

I... Jesus, this might be the most drastic Japanese/American difficulty change thing I have ever seen. Stuff like Battletoads and Ninja Gaiden 3 were retooled slightly to make them harder. Bayou Billy seems like it was re-built specifically to make it the hardest thing.

My inner child is weeping right now. He could have had simple driving levels instead of that hell. God drat it Konami.

• Locked thread