Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

Resembles a Pirate Captain
I'm back to the game after a year break, WoW's daily grind has me ready to slit my wrists and several friends had been raving to me about the new features (which really are all truly amazing). I've completely lost the muscle memory for playing my guardian though, and decided to just start fresh as a captain. Really loving it, it feels much faster and smoother than last time I tried. I've done pretty decently as a tank too, when it's needed. Obviously not as strong there as my guardian but I haven't gotten anyone killed and managed to wrangle a few rough aoe situations.

Does anyone have any tips for stat weights while leveling? So far I've been throwing on the best might>vitality gear I can find, running with my power regen herald and using the crit tactic and cruising along pretty well, but I've had two other players tell me I should be stacking agi and crit to get as many defeat responses as possible in combat. Which sounds insane to me and seems like it would amplify what power problems I currently have, but I am admittedly new to the class and most of the guides I've seen could just be years out of date. Just hit 40 for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

Hello Sailor posted:

Have you completed the "Now For Wrath" deed (use Rallying Cry a billion times) yet? It gives a power restore when you use Rallying Cry, which you can decrease the cooldown on by a lot once you get access to LIs in a few levels.

I'm 262/600 through it now and making it my major focus as I grind out my legendary pages, so hopefully I'll have it soon. Right now I've just got what red traits I've unlocked for the crit bonus, and defiance from the yellow line.

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

MartianAgitator posted:

There isn't an ounce of false drama. You aren't the most important people in the world because it's a really big world. Even the most important people, like Gandalf, Radagast and Saruman, can't do everything by themselves. But you ARE important and you know you are. It's the neatest thing and it makes me happy.

This is what I like best about the game. It gives you much more realistic goals than most heroic fantasy rpgs. You aren't personally out there saving the world by slaying giant god-eating dragons or what-have-you, but you might have a campaign to say... Gather up a bunch of allies and make a quick strike on an orcish training zone, because Sauron will have to pull some of his forces off the front line and use them to reinforce his flank, which could give the Fellowship that thin sliver they need to slip through. Or delving into Moria and setting up a defensible base in the upper levels so that the orcs aren't able to launch a full out assault on Lothlorien and keep Galadriel from aiding her allies in Mirkwood (which in turn destroys one of Sauron's major power bases in the region).

It's like Aragorn gathering up the remains of the army and making one last attack on the gates of Mordor not to be the big hero and "win" but because it'll distract the enemy from his friends long enough to give them a chance, but written across months and months of great questing.

You also get to play out some flashback scenes from the histories, like the incredibly badass Fall of Moria where you end up in that last chamber with your scribe writing the "drums in the deep" line, and as more and more waves of orcs and trolls spill in your quest objective changes from "destroy the orcs" to "survive the orcs" to "die with honor" :black101:

Mandragora fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 27, 2012

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

The game is absolutely gorgeous and I plan on taking my time. The storyline is also rather unique. For those who are reading this thread wondering on whether or not to play based on story, here it is from a hobbit perspective:

One of the coolest things about this game is how even the "throwaway" newbie area quests dovetail.

The dwarf starting experience begins in a flashback to pre-Hobbit Ered Luin, as Gandalf is gathering Thorin's company together and preparing to depart for the Shire to hire on Bilbo as a burglar. You team up with young Gimli and help stop a rampaging troll in the mines, and find the corpse of an ancient dwarf lord while you're down there. Flash forward to the more modern time and you've been recognized as a skilled adventurer rather than a mining grunt. The Dourhand clan has absconded with the corpse and you have to go find it, and from there you discover that said dwarf lord was actually attempting to traffic with fell spirits and achieve immortality hundreds of years ago but one elf warrior sacrificed himself to bring the dwarf down before the ritual could be completed.

The Dourhands think that if they finish the ritual the dwarf Skorgrim will return and lead them all to glory and wealth, and in finishing it they end up fusing the corpse with the spirit of an elder wight who answers directly to Sauron and the Witch King. You barely escape with your life and become entangled in a plot by the surviving Dourhands to lure the dwarf and elven kingdoms into open war against one another by staging kidnappings and recruiting local goblin tribes. It ends with you unifying the previously estranged dwarf and elf heroes and beating back the tide, at which point you learn that this is only a symptom of a larger threat and are sent as an emissary to Bree to see what services you can offer a ranger-lord named Strider.

And if you do the elf starting area, it actually takes place 600 years ago and you get to assist the elven warrior in stopping that dwarf necromancer you learned about in the dwarven newbie zone. It all ties together beautifully. You can run all four races through the end of their prologues for the complete story if you want, or you can focus on one and still get a great, personalized little tale.

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

Made it to Moria on my captain and holy poo poo, I knew they'd revamped it but I never knew it could be so much fun! I enjoyed playing Moria on my original guardian mainly because I could mow down entire rooms in tank mode and I have a hard on for dwarven lore stuff, but I was kind of dreading it on my captain with his two aoe attacks. Between being handed a goat within minutes of arriving, the new mob density and the quest design (that "drink to the fallen" quest actually teleporting you between camps in a drunken haze and letting you pick up travel points is absolute genius) I think this might actually be my favorite area in any MMO.

Basically if anyone is lingering in the 40s feeling the grind mount up, push forward because it's totally worth it.

Would any higher level captains care to weigh in on skirmish soldiers? Now that I'm almost at the ones I genuinely love (Mirkwood) I'm trying to decide what would work best. My gut instinct says warrior to make up for my lack of aoe while soloing, but I hear a lot of people talking about stacking an archer soldier and the archer herald for maximum single target and rapid fire defeat response skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

Hysterix posted:

I've tried both, and archer + archer is my favorite by far. You use the archers to mow the mobs down one at a time so you get periodic rally cries to keep your health up, and you use your heal aggro plus pressing attack to tank the rest while your archer pew pews them one at a time. You don't want them all to die at once- you want at least one dying each time your rc cooldown comes up.

Yeah, that does sound good, particularly now that I've finally got access to LIs and can machine gun rallying cry for infinite mana. What kind of traits do you usually set your skirm archer up with? It's one of the few soldiers I don't have much experience with since it never synchronized well with my guard.

sassassin posted:

And then you get stuck there until you're in the late 50s and it's tedious as gently caress.

Gonna sue Turbine for false advertising re: lothlorien.

I could play an entire game set in the crumbling labyrinths of a dwarven kingdom, I dread having to step out into the stupid sunshine to pal around with elves. :black101:

• Locked thread