Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Runekeepers are frequently dps, but minstrels are not. Minstrels in warspeech blow through their power too quickly to be sustainable on a boss fight. You'll do fine questing, but it's all burst with no staying power. RKs, however, can do mad dps in a sustainable fashion, and are great healers. RK healing is a bit boring compared to Mini healing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
As a Captain, I almost never have to wait for groups. Captains are relatively slow levelers, though. I love the captain in a group- very dynamic gameplay.

Good guardian tanks are always in demand. They are also slow levelers until 50+, but with the overpower changes are good dps at higher levels.

Minstrel healers are always in demand, and are quick levelers.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Enemies usually get a glow around their feet when they're casting. The pose is the other clue.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
They've totally revamped Evendim and Moria (they're awesome now) but they haven't touched North Downs or Angmar.

Also, regarding deeds/virtues: I would definitely work on you class deeds (use your abilities to get your class skills) as your first priority. As others have said, virtue deeds are best done when they're gray to you. All classes should take a look at Zeal (it's an awesome virtue) and Tolerance and/or Fidelity (bosses do tactical damage for the most part.) I also usually slot Valour if I'm running low on Vitality. There is also a virtue that helps your main stat for your class. Try and level that one, too. Honestly, I stop at 40 (at the content gap I usually run into) and get my virtues up to around 6 doing the low level deeds. This is mainly because when I hit max level I'm ready to group up, and it's hard to get groups for harder stuff if your virtues are in the 2-3 range.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Here's a link to a good explanation of tactical vs physical damage: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?439084-What-s-the-difference-between-Physical-and-Tactical-damage-mitigation

Roughly:
if it's hitting you with an object = physical
magic/non-physical = tactical

This non-intuitive distinction happens because according to the lore, there is very little magic that our player characters can do. Captain's cries aren't "magic" and minstrel heals aren't "magic" according to the lore, etc.

I am *still* not completely sure how resist rating works into this. I just know that tanks tend to emphasize physical and tactical mitigation, and that resistance rating is apparently not as effective.

Edited: Resistance rating is resist to fear, disease, poison, and wound. Things you can use a potion to get rid of.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Also, for those of you who are 85, get in on the Durchest action. Basically, devs have said that they can't put locks on scalable instances. Barad Guldur is scalable, and the first boss, Durchest, drops tarnished symbols and riddermark starlit crystals among other things. People are pugging Durchest like mad, which is why tarnished symbol prices have crashed. 250 gold for a tarnished symbol 2 weeks ago, 70 gold today on Brandywine, at least. It takes maybe 15 minutes per run.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Remember the bad old days in Moria? Well, the moria revamps are awesome. If you hated moria before, be prepared to change your mind. I am actually sad to be leaving on my minstrel.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
I've never had the choppiness or rubberbanding. I do know that some people experience this, but it's certainly not everyone. The only time I rubberband is if I don't jump properly over an obstacle, and then it's maybe once a week that it happens. I do wonder why it happens to some people and not others.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
The crafting facilities in Bree are now superior, but aren't labeled as such. They also added an auctioneer and vaultkeeper to the room. You still have to go to Esteldin/Rivendell/Michel Delving for guild stuff if your character is super low, but for crafting while leveling, Bree is the best now.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

SeaTard posted:

Yep, just throw them away. Or try and sell em on the AH maybe, you might find someone dumb enough to buy them.

Well, the lower level loot boxes have a chance to drop Tome of Stat (level) like Tome of Vitality 1. The Tome of Vitality goes for 200ish on Brandywine. It's a lower chance, though.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

Stanyer89 posted:

I really want to play this game but after an hour of playing I still cant get over the massive action bar.

There are two little buttons under the ui settings that let you shrink or grow every element on the screen. That, along with CTRL+\ should let you make the screen whatever you want. My action bars are tiny as I'm not a clicker.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
If they're hiding sales behind a login, I'd check out Casual Stroll to Mordor (casualstrolltomordor.com). They are very quick to list the sales and are my go-to LOTRO news site.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Hugebag lets you look at your alts inventories and banks and your shared storage from anywhere.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Angmar has the most quests. It is also depressing as hell. That may be your thing (it is very lore-appropriate) but I prefer to bounce between Angmar and Forochel. That said, Eregion is a fabulous questing area, it just won't get you the whole way. Honestly, I would sub for a month in that level range and use all of the quest zones.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

LooKMaN posted:

I'm getting really burned out on playing my captain because everything just seems to take so long to kill and if i get more than 2+ adds involved into the fight i might as well run because captains really aren't that tanky.

Would champion be a good choice if i want to kill things fast and not die if another mob jumps into the fight?

I find on my 85 captain that it's not a problem to kill multiple adds as long as I put revealing mark up and focus fire so that one is going down regularly for a rally cry. Then again, my gear is pretty good (high crit rate) which gives me extra rally cries. When my gear wasn't as good, I had more problems. Captains are just so awesome in groups that I always recommend them if the person is close-ish to 85. Cappies are like your codependent friend. DPS? I can help with that. Healing? I can help with that, too. Tanking? Oh, yeah, I love to help the tank.

I also have a champ, so they're a good choice, too. Champs are also the most "in demand" dps for groups, because most instances have packs of adds for champs to mow down.

Also, hunters at 85 in the best gear kill significantly faster than champs similarly geared. I know several people who have stopped using their champ as their go-to daily doer and switched to doing dailies on their hunters. This hunter dominance is very recent (hunters go up and down in potency with each release, it seems.)

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

Are there any good Captain guides?

I like the whole easy-to-solo self-sufficient melee/support with pets thing it has going for it, it's my second favorite class in any MMO, after Masterminds from City of Heroes.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?454222-Ehefkae-s-Advice-On-Playing-the-Captain-Class&highlight=ehefkae is an awesome guide to all things captain.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Those have been up in the last week on my server. Does anyone know if the ones that were closed due to raid farming are back up? I remember going in one of them and seeing a raid farming them and thinking "this won't last" and then the next week they closed them, supposedly temporarily.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

Mandragora posted:

Would any higher level captains care to weigh in on skirmish soldiers? Now that I'm almost at the ones I genuinely love (Mirkwood) I'm trying to decide what would work best. My gut instinct says warrior to make up for my lack of aoe while soloing, but I hear a lot of people talking about stacking an archer soldier and the archer herald for maximum single target and rapid fire defeat response skills.

I've tried both, and archer + archer is my favorite by far. You use the archers to mow the mobs down one at a time so you get periodic rally cries to keep your health up, and you use your heal aggro plus pressing attack to tank the rest while your archer pew pews them one at a time. You don't want them all to die at once- you want at least one dying each time your rc cooldown comes up.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Legacy tiers reduce the number of points it takes to buy each level of the legacy. For instance, if it takes 60 points to buy the 9th level of a legacy at tier 2, it might take 45 at tier 3, etc. On an 85 second age, you get 750 LI points at weapon level 70. To max out 4 or 5 of the legacies, you'll need to use a few scrolls of empowerment on the most expensive ones so you can afford to max out more legacies.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Someone was asking about skills for a Captain skirmish archer, so here are the basics (which apply to all soldiers to different extents.) First, when you go to the skirmish trainer, there are 4 tabs. From left to right, they are in descending order of importance.

1) You get the most bang for your buck by leveling up the attributes of your soldier. Keep this at your level.

2) Second in importance is the skill panel. For the archer, I do deadly shot, pinpoint shot, and wounding arrow. The important thing to remember is that the AI is horrible. If you have a healer soldier and give it both the power restore and the health restore skills, it will invariably use its power restore when you're at 50hps. Don't confuse the AI- give your soldier one job and then give it the skills for that job only.

3) The skill panel is also useful, but it is not especially important to max out until you're max level doing raid skirms. For an archer for a cappy (or any physical dps) I most prefer armor penetration, then practiced critical, then physical potency. The cappy is healing the soldier, so you don't need to put points into healing skills.

4) The personal tab is the least important. These are bonuses that you get while in a skirmish when your soldier is alive. I pick up battle master for crit for more rally cries always. If you're dying too much, pick up strong of will for tactical mitigation.

Also, remember that there is a sliding scale for how much you pay for your skirmish training. The closer to your level, the more expensive the skill. This means that if you are skirmishing while leveling, you are paying a premium because all of your skills were bought at their most expensive. A cool option at max level: scroll of skirmish mark refund from the store. I got a refund, re-bought all of my skills up to rank 40 (max) and still had 10k skirmish marks leftover. This is also good because for raid skirms, it's better to have an herbalist pet. I typically use a class-appropriate pet up to max, then refund and buy an herbalist.

Oh, and one person might want to have the bannerguard pet for a raid skirm. The bannerguard is very powerful. The downside is it runs out ahead and aggros stuff, so you're best off if a situationally aware ranged class picks up the bannerguard.

One last thing: pineleaf has excellent skirmish resources at casual stroll to mordor and at his site.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

loquacius posted:

Question because I have a captain near level cap and have never done a raid skirmish: If most people in the skirm are rocking herbalists, do you still want to trait Hands of Healing, or can will the extra healing everybody has allow you more flexibility in your traits? I ask because I'm hopelessly addicted to Master of War in solo play and get cranky if I can't toss off a Battle-Readying 1.5x damage Shadow's Lament every single time it comes off cooldown without sacrificing a Rallying Cry for it. (I think having a champ as my main was a bad influence.) If I were able to trait that in a raid without everyone getting mad at me, I'd be a lot more amenable to doing raid skirms in the first place.

e: Also I like having a ghost friend (:ghost::hf::3:) but the Shadow's Laments are the more important part.

It really depends. The sure way to go Master of War in a raid skirm is when you or a buddy starts/leads the skirmish. You probably will have a tough time getting an invite if you're not there as a healer/support. Captain dps is better as MoW, but it's like trying to dig a hole with a thimble. You're using the wrong tool. That's not to say that I haven't been MoW in a raid skirm, but only if there are two minis and another cappy healing and I didn't tell anyone.

Basically, if there are 12, and 2 are pure healers and there's an HOH captain already, it will probably be fine.

Edited: I don't think this is right, but there is a huge bias at the moment that cappys should be HoH. Skraids aren't hard enough to warrant this bias, IMO. Really, unless you're doing T2 challenges or solo healing a 3 man, it shouldn't be necessary to be HoH. The problem is that there are bad cappys who also happen to be MoW primarily (at least on Brandywine) who are spoiling the fun for the rest of us.

Hysterix fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 7, 2013

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Shared storage may not make sense if you only have one main toon that you're playing. And, sure, if you're leveling, the instant teleport to quest giver is awesome. However, shared storage is forever. Just wait till you have 8 crafting alts that you're feeding mats to/from. Or 4 85s and lots of alts. It would literally double the (already boring) time I spend doing my weekly crafting binge if I didn't have a central spot to feed mats around from.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Update 10 is coming tomorrow according to twitter. Very good news.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Great Barrow at 85 gives 3-4 per boss. Bells of Dale is bugged and isn't giving any.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Flight to the Lonely Mountain, which was the "puggable" raid, was closed with the downtime. The other two require a lot more coordination.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

ruffz posted:

I'm done with Hytbold and am struggling to find any motivation to do even more dailies beyond the 51 days to complete the town and get my main's gear. My 85 captain still needs a gear set and I'd like to load up on a bunch of the housing items, but :effort:

The healing captain set is awesome. It makes valiant strike a big part of your repertoire. I put melee skills healing and valiant strike morale return on my emblem and it heals for about 2/3 as much as rally cry on the initial hit and then more on each tick.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
I have 3 tinkers. It's a gold-making machine.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

KamNZ posted:

Is it just me or is playing as a Hunter a night and day difference from playing as a Captain?

Captains shine in groups. Below level 50, they're pretty slow to level solo. Compared to a pure dps class, yes, they are super slow. They make up for it by being awesome at max level.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Tab 2 of this spreadsheet shows which instance various gold class armor/weapons drop in, which lets even relatively casual players grind for something. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AorVTCQqcO3bdG04aDlMWTEyWnN4QjA4b1MxamQ3VlE#gid=0

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

Interstellar Owl posted:

Logged into creep side on the server I have most of characters on (Landroval) and it was totally barren, is it this way all over? :(

I believe Brandywine has a decent amount of creep-side activity. Brandywine is pretty happening overall, actually.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Your house doesn't go into escrow until you're 6 months behind.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Captain survivability is through the roof in yellow line, making them really OP in PvMP. Red line dps is better than at any time previous, but not as OP as other classes right now. If your focus is PvMP, you can't go wrong with captain.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Take a look at the Mini's yellow line. Much better buffer than the captain anymore.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
I had been having trouble figuring out why I didn't have 65 trait points at 95, and then I found this. Hope it helps:

The max you can have at 85 is 55 points.

40 Points for leveling up from 7 to 85
8 from your Class Deeds
these are now meta deeds so you need to complete 3 things.

3 book deeds for your class. so get all your pages

3 points from moria
1 for completing your class quest
1 for completing Vol 2 Book 6
1 for Iron Garrison Guards Max Rep book

1 point for completing your 3 class quests at 45

That will get you your 55 points at 85

You will pick up another 10 points leveling to 95.
5 points from leveling from 85 to 95 one every 2 levels
5 points for completing the following quests lines in each of the HD regions:

Eastfold: All Roads Lead to Aldburg - After beating the Boar tribe Orcs.
Kingstead: The Road to Dunharrow - After moving Eorslad's residents to Dunharrow.
Broadacres: The Broadacres Betrayed - After retaking Stoke from its usurper.
Stonedeans: Woodhurst Has Fallen - After retaking Woodhurst from its invaders.
Westfold: To Helm's Deep - After rescuing Grimbold from the Fords of Isen.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
For Champion, having 65 points really helps. For instance, yellow line champs can get the minus attack duration from the red line, and red line champs can get raging blade from the yellow line. I agree, not every class hides goodies near the top of trees, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
You get a medium steed free as part of the epic questline.

• Locked thread