Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

ruffz posted:

A question for you guys that have gone through the Hytbold grind. I have an 85 captain that's almost Ally with Wold and Sutcrofts, and Kindred with both Entwash and Norcrofts, but hasn't done anything in Hytbold yet. I'm thinking about using that captain to get set gear for my burglar, who is almost level 77 and at least a week away from being able to start Hytbold. Would I be saving much time using the captain to outfit the burglar, based on the fact that my burglar isn't going to have nearly as high of rep when she hits 84? I used a few of the store-bought reputation tokens to get my captain as high as he is, and don't want to spend TP doing the same for the burglar.

I believe you have to complete all the hytbold rebuilds in order to buy the armor for your alts. It will be way faster to raise rep on the burglar while earning tokens and unlocking the armor that way. It really doesn't take to long to get rep any way with the 4 dailies per faction.

Edit: It takes 44 days not counting getting tokens for armor to fully rebuild Hytbold, so you are much better off just getting rep on the alt as well. Nice guide here http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?482751-Hytbold-A-Guide-to-Rebuilding-and-Armour

Fried Sushi fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Radio! posted:

Is there any reason not to finish the Vol. I epic quests before finishing Moria? It seems like most people just go straight to Moria after Forochel/Angmar, but I loving hate Moria so I'm way more interested in Vol. I.

Also oh my god pending loot is SO GOOD. I haven't played for a couple months, so this is the first time I've seen all the post-Rohan changes, but I really like everything they've done.

No reason not to, you don't have to complete them to move on to Vol 2 though. If you aren't in a hurry to get into Moria might as well finish them up, can get the white horse for completing them as well. Too bad none of the rep/deed horses can be used for WarSteed cosmetic purposes. I have 20 horses that serve no purpose now.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

You can check the armor vendors for cosmetic items too, back before Moria I was wearing some white armor from the Rivendell vendors as cosmetic armor, think each major city should have a basic armor vendor. Also Skirmishes have a lot of cosmetic armor you can buy once you get 20+.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Captain Backslap posted:

Finally playing through Rise of Isengard and I am pretty satisfied with my decision not to pre-purchase and pay full price back in the day. It has been pretty darn boring and I think if I had the choice I'd kill the next village of Dunland folk who were immediately distrustful of me (I'm closing in on Kindred at this point) and require that I do another goddamn round of identical quests for them like I did for the last 3 regions. Endewaithe was more interesting than Dunland so far, with the exception of one or two instanced areas.

I was ready to give up on the game after Isengard, really wasn't impressed with that expansion, but with mounted combat in Rohan I figured I'd give it one more chance. Glad I did Rohan has breathed new life into the game for me, best expansion they have released I think. Even prefer it over Moria and I loved Moria when it came out.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

ruffz posted:

That's hilarious. My 64 guardian is a prospector so I'd probably get the ore from him, but I'm super :effort: if a reasonably priced "pay2win" option is present, which in this case doesn't appear to be.

They are on sale this weekend, not sure it is worth it even then, maybe a tier or two where materials are scarce.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Remy Marathe posted:

Not at all really; I've got a cook who at level 12 can make foods for clear up through level 50's and there's nothing stopping her from going further. The only thing you miss out on as a lowbie crafter is the ability to equip higher level crit crafting tools. All you need to do is get through the intro, then you can make a beeline for the nearest major city; around level 8 I think is where you get the quests to take crafting skills.

You can buy this off the store, think its 150 pts and it is account bound so can transfer it between characters. Slightly worse than the highest tier crafting tool.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Universal_Toolkit

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Glad to know I'm not the only one that has gone through this. Really makes me want to spend money on the game, let me tell you. :sigh:

I had the same problem. Following these steps exactly worked for me.

First, log into http://myaccount.turbine.com and make sure that your email address is up to date. You will need to be able to receive email in a future step.

After checking your contact information, log back out of myAccount and click on the "forgotten your password" link on the main page. Follow those steps to reset your password. When resetting your password, make sure it's between 8 and 12 characters and only using the pre-approved letters, digits, and symbols.

After changing your password, make sure the change has worked by logging into both myAccount once more and logging into the game. This step will confirm to our servers that your password has changed.

Finally, attempt once more to log into the community site.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Radio! posted:

Still no dice for me. Any other suggestions? :sigh:

No sorry, It took me about 5 tickets sent in before they finally sent that and it worked for me.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

The old Lone Lands was only slightly more fun than the Trollshaws and Misty Mountains. Both of those areas need love. Goblin Town is just a complete chore and I can't imagine why anyone would go there at this point.

You take that back, Goblin Town is awesome.

Other than that I agree, I'd add North Downs to that too, could we remove a couple of the warg quests, just a couple, think that would still leave them with 30 kill warg quests there.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

ukrainius maximus posted:

Is there much of a difference when it comes down to dual-wielding vs using a two-handed weapon on a champion? I just took the two-handed hammer from my level 30 quest and I really love the change in style right now, it feels so right for a Dwarf to be doing that. Are they pretty much even or is one vastly superior?
At 85 due to a set bonus DW has a slight advantage in non mounted combat. But its not a huge difference so I'd say just play whichever you find the most enjoyable. For a couple expansions 2-hander was higher dps than dw but I never liked it as much so have been DW the whole time. Never felt it inhibited me in any way.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

loquacius posted:

My main is a champ, and he definitely suffered from chronic power issues until I got wise and started gearing him specifically for a high max power. He gets plenty of ICPR from Fervour without even gearing for that; he just burns through it so drat fast.

Are you using Second Wind on your champ? I have gotten into the habit of using the skill pretty much as soon as it comes off cooldown.

Champs used to have zero power problems till Isengard I think, then they must have thought it was overpowered and retooled the class so that it relies on casting Second Wind every few seconds to maintain the same power regen as before.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

xZAOx posted:

It took me 40+ levels, but I FINALLY figured out why the loot window when gathering resources is all over the place! In case anyone else is a nubtacular as me - the loot window shows up OVER the actual resource node. What a weird choice. So if you're mining ore, make it so the ore node is at the bottom left of your screen, and that's where the window pops up, for example. Maybe there's a UI option to change it - I'd like my loot window to always be in the same spot, but at least now I can control it from popping up over my hotbars.

Also, I think the game has finally broke me. My endeavor to do every quest ever is going to be impossible. It's all the drat fellowship quests. I have to gray them out so much, and there's so many of them, that I don't have the room. However, I am going to stay with doing all the solo-able quests (and some small fellowship quests are easily solo-able) in the order I get them.

If you hold shift while you click on the resource node it will auto-loot so you won't see any loot window. I think it is shift by default but pretty sure you can modify the key in the options.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

ruffz posted:

Is anyone else with 85s having issues with specific Hytbold daily instances not coming up? I'm under the impression that they cycle once a day at downtime, but I could be wrong. I've been trying to do Haycliff, Digelon, and Dwergfant for over a week and those three haven't shown up at all. This is ridiculously frustrating because completing those three instances' quests for their respective deeds is sitting between me and 100 Hytbold tokens. I'm getting ready to file a ticket and see wtf is up.

I think they are just randomly generated, it took me a few weeks to get all of them completed. Sometimes you get the same quests 5-7 days in a row before you get a new one.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

ruffz posted:

Ah, I thought I read that before but wasn't sure. Is there any reason to farm Bugud anymore then if you don't mind waiting until u10?

I feel the slow process of burnout happening to me again, always happens when I start to invest more and more time into the game. I've made it 6 months this time which is longer than usual. In that time frame I got a captain from 75 to 85 and a burglar from 46 to 85, plus maxed out a lot of crafting professions and I'm over halfway through the Hytbold grind. Maybe the new region coming out in the spring will hit at just the right time to keep me playing for a while longer before taking a break until West Rohan, but I'm getting increasingly doubtful I'll make it to May which is probably when Wildermore will come out.

The Hytbold grind really got to me, starting the LM and looking forward to Mounted combat on that class is keeping me interested. At least I don't have to do the full Hytbold grind again, but even so hard to get motivation to run the dailies to get the tokens for alt gear.

Fried Sushi fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 6, 2013

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Interesting, looks like you will be able to buy First Age symbols at the skirmish camp as well as Second Age when U10 comes out. Will need to complete a T1 raid deed to unlock them but then can farm seals however until you get enough. Pretty nice change in my opinion, like that they are adding multiple routes to get gear.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Saw the symbol discussion here:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?500222-First-Age-Symbols-in-Skirmish-Camps.

and patch notes:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?500173-UPDATE-10-PRELIMINARY-RELEASE-NOTES-Bullroarer-Only-(2)-SUBJECT-TO-CHANGE

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

How incredibly unnecessary.

Sounds like they are making a lot of changes to fate and icpr and so adjusting a lot of current skills that affect power. Might be with the changes the power return on that skill was insufficient.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

loquacius posted:

In particular, Champs are getting nerfed with higher power costs and lower stance ICPR bonuses, because, quote, "it was very difficult to run out of power." Guess they never saw me play. :argh:

Yeah but I think they are talking about on test with the changes to fate and icpr. Hopefully they get the balance right, remember back in SoA and Moria one of the perks to being a champ was you pretty much never had to worry about power while in Fervour stance, not sure their fix to require hitting second wind on cooldown was the best option.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Sushema (LM) is only one in kin atm, need to get rest added eventually when I go back to playing them.

imema 85 champ
imem 65 burg
Imemiden 80 Warden

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

I hope they don't go changing skills anytime soon, even to streamline.

Only just made sense of the ones I have.

I think some classes could use some skill pruning more than others, on my LM I had to add 4 more hotkeys than I normally use and I still have a couple skills to get. Some of them can probably have their abilities combined into one skill. My champ seems fine with the skills it has, could maybe remove/combine a couple but it doesn't feel too bloated.

Another benefit of removing some of the skill bloat is they could start adding new interesting skills in expansions, last few expansions just see changes to existing skills because they realized around Moria that they had too much skill bloat as it was.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

Yeah, I've only put time into a guardian which is already simple enough.

I quite like having a few skills I can just say no thanks to and ignore. Makes me feel like a special snowflake who makes *choices*.

But then I've also only been playing for ~6 weeks so maybe the lifers would welcome a revamp.

I don't want them to do a massive overhaul, I do like having a lot of skill options, it is one of the reasons I enjoy LOTRO. But they could consolidate on some of the classes to reduce some of the overall skills. For example I am up to 35+ hotkeys on my Loremaster, and I still have a number of skills that I click to use. Consolidating 5-10 skills would still leave 30+ skills to use and could free up room for some new skills in the future.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Ksrugi posted:

I must've asked this before, but is there a cost for character transfer?

It was $25 a few years ago when I did it.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Glass of Milk posted:

Me either. The journey is the game here, and really you're going to miss out on a bunch of Deeds/TP if you fly through the areas. The only place that this would be really useful is early-mid 40s, where leveling options get a little thin until Eregion/Moria.

Also, now that I'm leveling my first character in a while that needs bronze ingots, I forgot how much I hate trying to find tin ore. As I remember, the Shire was one of the better places?

I usually run around the Marsh there when looking for copper and tin, of course when I was looking for copper I found a bunch of tin, since you want tin you will probably only find copper. Just the way it works.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

xZAOx posted:

Itemization changes:

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/update-10-itemization-information

Am I the only who thinks "make dungeon X for DPS, make dungeon Y for tanks, make dungeon Z for healers" a really horrible loving idea? Or am I misinterpreting what he's saying?

The rest of it doesn't really seem to impact me much.

No that sounds terrible, at least for dps pubs, why would a tank bother running a bunch of DPS only instances. Course I may be looking at this with WoW colored glasses and the community in LOTRO would be a little more helpful in general.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Transcript of the Dev Twitter chat,

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?502317-Transcript-LOTRO-Developer-Twitter-Chat-Thursday-February-21-2013

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Wonder if they are planning on making class traits similar to the Horse talent tree, not sure if I would like that better unless they left in the flexibility to mix and match from different trait lines.

Really the existing system is fine, only thing I would like is to make some more of the less used traits more attractive and give a multiple spec option like they have for the horses, give 2 by default and sell more on the store. Not sure why they haven't done that yet seems like it would be a decent moneymaker.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Lotro Forums posted:

"I like the free-form trait system we have much, much better than the strict trees the mounted combat system uses. If we had to trait our characters to conform with a pre-set tree, it would devastate the ability to customize one's character to match with one's playstyle. This would be a huge loss. It's not the trait system itself that isn't working right now, but some of the traits/lines within it."

So this sentiment is something that has come up each time we've mentioned the concept of Talent Trees and I think you've clearly outlined where the concerns stem from.

The only Trees currently in LotRO are the Mounted Combat trees which are linear and restrictive. This design makes perfect sense for a system that is exclusive to a small level band and limited by encounter type. With this as the current example of Trees, it is a logical assumption that should we move classes to a Tree system that it would be very similar.
All I can say is that, our classes are much more complex and hinge on player choice. Our experiments in Trees have been to support/encourage player experimentation in both specialization and generalization.

From the new Burglar dev, so looks like they are going to do trait trees but plan on keeping the flexibility. Be interesting to see how it works out.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Glass of Milk posted:

Like I said, the daily quests wouldn't be bad, but having to earn reputation with four different factions in order to be able to build the correct buildings I would need to get any of the armor sets is mind-numbing. Not to mention that the quests might be nice the first time you do em, but by the 4th time you're mindlessly riding the hobby horse around Harwick it could get old.

I ran that hobby horse and the outfit one exactly once, just to get the achievement, with the 4 quest locations no reason to do crappy quests when you can just grab a quick mounted instance quest from one of the other towns. It might slow your Rep down a bit but I had kindred with all 4 factions pretty quickly anyways, well before I finished the town.

I am also taking a break to play other games, after getting champ to 85, Warden to 80 and a fresh LM to 76 I hit my burn out point. Probably come back to check out the anniversary festival and get my LM to 85 eventually. LOTRO is that one MMO that I always go back to eventually and Rohan breathed new life into the game.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Some of the mounted combat changes sound pretty interesting, putting the yellow tree bonuses into the base warsteed and adding a class specific tree. Looks like Loremasters get a pet wolf when mounted.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Would be interesting if Helm's Deep was the last official expansion to LOTRO, and the next one is a full new game engine that they can use for the next 5-6 years to get to Mordor and beyond. And they launch it as a new game so they can pull in new players. Not sure exactly how the logistics would work but could be interesting.

Really I just want a new engine that can handle large battles and mounted combat without rubberbanding.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

20 questions about how they are going to handle big battles in Helm's deep.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519694-20-Questions-%E2%80%93-Big-Battles

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

ruffz posted:

They also have an all mounts pack which gives you all 9 of the class mounts for every character on your account, for a hilarious price of $150. If this included all of the other store mounts, maybe it'd be worth a price like that.

That's actually a great deal as bizarre as it sounds. 9 class mounts for every character on your account if you have one of each class would run over $2000 the way the pricing is now. Would be nice if they made all mount purchases account wide, would be inclined to spend a bit more on them in that case.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

ruffz posted:

I really don't care for Sapience's attitude most of the time, people have legitimate complaints about the skill changes and all we hear out of Turbine is "tough poo poo, it's coming whether you like it or not". I get the feeling they're going to see a backlash in the form of low Helm's Deep sales because they decided to ignore their customers.

This is the first expansion I didn't preorder day 1, while I really liked mounted combat and Rohan some of the directions Turbine has been going have turned me off from the game. I think they have some poor business managers making decisions for them as far as store items and costs, compared to a F2P system like RIFT, LOTRO is starting to look archaic and downright player unfriendly. To be clear I don't object to having to pay for stuff on the store, I understand they need to make money, I just feel they are pricing themselves out of the market, ie ~$25 for a class mount that isn't account wide, the high prices on Warsteed cosmetics that aren't even account wide, etc...if those prices were more reasonable I feel they would stand to make more money than they are now.

I am planning on trying the beta this week when it starts back up and will make a decision based on how the classes I have feel with the new changes, if I am not liking them I doubt I buy Helm's deep. Plenty of other good games out to spend time on now, as much as I enjoyed LOTRO in the past.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Zvim posted:

This would make a world of difference, it was just awkward just running around at full speed unless i hit the stop button.

Double tap S will bring you to a complete stop, got much easier to control once I found out about that.

Got a chance to play the beta a bit last couple days, just wanted to check out some of the class changes and from what I have seen its not that bad. Not sure where the NGE comments are coming from, they do seem to be pushing for more specialization but of the three classes I looked at (burg, champ, Loremaster), the play style doesn't seem like it will be drastically changed. Didn't get a chance to check out the Epic Battles yet though, but just based on the class changes I am tempted to pre-order now.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I'll probably start playing more around the beginning of November, get my LM to cap then decide whether to level that or champ in Helm's Deep. Maybe level my burg up but not liking the changes to burg skills as much as the other two.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Bombogenesis posted:

Welp, there goes my free time tomorrow.

Question, are Burglars still more support-ish than straight up damage? If so, does anybody know if they'll be keeping this for Helm's Deep? I've been thinking about reinstalling this and dicking with Burglar to kill time.

Looks like they are getting a damage focused tree and a support focused tree, think they are losing some of their hybrid capability.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Contest Winner posted:

I haven't played this game since its initial launch, and I never made it very far in, so I have kind of a weird question. How interesting are the zones, visually and story wise? I'm basically looking for something to casually play while I listen to podcasts or watch TV shows, so what draws me in the most is places that are interesting to explore. The game actually doesn't look bad, based on screenshots I saw, but I just get kind of bored moving forward if I know the next 3 areas are going to be samey fantasy countryside areas with no variation. I understand that Middle Earth is not the World of Warcraft, so there won't be wildly different areas right next to each other.

I know I could look up pictures of all the areas, but I don't want to spoil myself in exploring them for the first time. I'm the only person I know whose primary motivation for moving forward in an MMO is to see the art and design in new places, so I understand if this is a really odd question.

I'd say the overall world design is one of the best parts of the game, the main issue is that in the midlevels are two of the most boring looking zones in the game, Lonelands and North Downs, once you get past those there are some cool looking zones like Evendim, Angmar, Forochel, Moria in general is pretty interesting to explore, then Lothlorien and Mirkwood are cool, the later zones are a bit less exciting in landscape but some of the story elements are interesting like meeting the Rohirrim and going to Isengard.

One of the weaknesses is variety of mobs you will encounter, expect to kill loads of orcs, goblins, wargs and other humans, not a whole lot of variety there but that is because of lore restrictions.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Well I didn't want to list every zone in the game, I agree that Trollshaws and Misty Mountain are awesome as well, going through Goblin Town for the first time was incredible.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Did the first 'Epic Battle' last night, was pretty much just a skirmish from what I could tell, maybe once I have done more and gotten leveled up I can interact with the objects more but going in solo at least I was pretty unimpressed.

Class changes seem fine, played Champ mostly and other than losing some defensive abilities in red line it didn't feel that different, I was having an issue generating fervour though without the bladewall trait to generate 1 fervour, that will take some getting used to. Will probably try the yellow line tonight and see if that is better, sounds like it might have better overall single target and ae dps than red line currently and with all the ae packs in epic battles, yellow seems way more useful.

Specced my LM but didn't get to play it yet, lost some debuffs but overall in blue line it looks like it will be pretty fun, looking forward to trying 'sic em' to get all the pets out at once. Read people on official forums saying their pets were two shotting on level landscape mobs in blue spec.

My biggest issue now is I am getting massive fps drops, I used to get hitching before but not this bad. I have a fresh install of 8.1 and a new 770 and my frames are going from 80 to 5 then steady at 60 for a bit before dropping down to 10's again, switched to DX10 which helped a little bit but its pretty annoying right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Zilkin posted:

I love how my champ seemed to lose almost half of his skills, but my LM's skillbars seem just as full as they were before HD. :v:

Edit: Ugh, my LM actually has more skills than before. I thought they were supposed to reduce the skill bloat with HD. Also they removed crit and stun from staff strike flank hits, which was one of my most used things. Not a huge fan of the HD class changes so far. DPS has gone through the roof though.

Which spec line did you choose? I went Keeper of Animals and had 5-6 less skills than before the patch, the signs you put on the pets are gone and a couple of the debuffs were gone as well as Test of Will. Just off the top of my head, hadn't played LOTRO much over the past few months so can't remember exactly what was missing.

Glass of Milk posted:

During Beta, the dev in charge of the Captain revamp (xxrockx or something?) was definitely the most responsive to calls for changes, which I think is why the Captain trait sets are much better developed. For example, at one point, many of the skills were flat bonuses- so a +200 increase to physical mitigation or something. Thanks to feedback, those all changed to more useful percentage-based bonuses. I don't know that many of the other class devs were as responsive.

Sounds like captains got some nice changes, wish mine was higher than level 12, not sure I can stomach leveling all the way up again.

Fried Sushi fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 21, 2013

• Locked thread