Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

No. Don't do it because the illusion that your choices make a difference dissolves as soon as you play through again. The game is very good about making you feel like you're having an impact on the story, but it's very bad about actually allowing you to have one. Playing again or starting over midway will completely sour the game for you.

Eh I was never under the illusion my choices changed much. All the major events will happen one way or the other, but the way everything reacts to the choices you made is still a thing. In the end the game recognizes what you do and it's very interesting. How you respond to decisions, even if the game doesn't much care, will color(...pun?) your perspective of Lee and the other characters. That's why it's so great.

Feels like the 'no influence' angle of ME3 (ignoring terrible endings) when the rest of the game is very diverse based on how you played judging it by the end points feels silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Tried all but the last one, all taken. Saving last for Jellycat but I doubt it even works.

Geez.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Duranki posted:

Is anyone else playing D.O.T. Defenders of Texel? It's your typical Mobage energy sink, but at least it tries to be a little different, with its 'battle system.' The sprites are kinda cool. If anyone else is checking it out, feel free to friend me (same name in-game).

I was, played through the event to get top 500 then took a break. I like making my pixelly mans into different pixelly mans with fusing.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

I was going to point out the futility of talking about supporting good ios games with your sandwich money but I think I'll go play Baldur's Gate or Battle of the Bulge instead.

Let the man enjoy his ATB.

The point is to discourage other people from buying terrible game schemes to encourage better games in the future. IE, speaking with our power as consumers against lovely corporate practices.

One of such tactics involves harassing jerks who buy into it anyway! Jerks!

(I'm happy you like a game though guy who likes ATB <3)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Reciprocator posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to avoid using the iOS popout keyboard. At least, I've not seen it in an app yet. But they did add the ability to quickly select a "known" login/pw with one touch (if you have one for a system you're logging into) so you'll really only see the keyboard if you're typing stuff into the console.

Overall it's really well done, and I've not found any glaring or obvious gamebreaking bugs in the limited time I've had with it. Feels smooth and the touch recognition is super accurate. One minor criticism is that the text font is a little on the small side. Not a big deal for my 3rd gen, but it might suck on a mini so bear that in mind.

End game will be a huge bitch I imagine, if you're not mad proficient with the keyboard.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Kepa posted:

Urgh free games ugh

I first considered trying free out because of this thread. A big eye opener was people explaining that money isn't the big limiting factor, time is. And if your game is free, you'll at least get downloaded. I assume there's still like a handful of people waiting for Hook Champ to go free, even though it's been over three years now. Of course things change over time, and now there's increasingly more pressure to go free.

Really I don't think it would be too bad if every game became F.2.P., because there's versions of the F*2*P model that aren't too much of a gently caress you to the player. I'd think it would be more of a shame if every single game on iOS became an extremely simple, casual game. Which is probably more likely in these little THE DEATH OF ***TRUE GAMING*** scenarios.

This, but less ironic. I have a shitton of apps and only three that I had IAP for. Punch Quest Doubler, Blockheads speed up, Tacwarrior content. Basically games that stood on their own merit and then offerred me reasonably priced bonus, either through unlocking the game proper (Punch Quest/Blockheads) or extra content that the game felt complete without (Tacwarrior)

That said I buy a shitton of apps besides this but I also grab every single free one that looks interesting too (I'm not made of money!) I'm not sure i'm the average consumer though (I WILL NEVER BUY IN GAME CURRENCY) because of that. I agree that every game could go F2P, but the only F2P models I like are basically demos in one form or another where you can buy unlimited gameplay or 'sped up gameplay' to makes it reasonably paced. Anything else just isn't worth my time considering the amount of options I have.

Square Enix is literally the worst in regards to this, at least with ATB due to the sheer mindboggling entry cost of a game that isn't good with bank breaking necessary IAP to even play the game properly. It's like a perfect list of everything poo poo about 'F2P' (it isn't even free to play!) compiled into one game. Compared to something like Punch Quest's evolution, cheap entry cost with solid gameplay and a way to make advancement at a proper rate. Games fishing for whales just seem incredibly scummy.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Captain Matchbox posted:

Why do ios games have less lite/demo versions these days?

They do, they just call them Puncho Doublers.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I really want to enjoy Ghost Trick, the presentation is really fantastic. But the punishment for failing a puzzle is literally wasting like, 5 minutes of my time and I am terrible at puzzle games to begin with. Is there anyway to speed up the repetition?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

I've noticed my trend with iOS gaming lately has turn into a tolerance test for most games until they become obtrusive and I'm unable to play. I guess I appreciate f2p when a game is sort of decent but I despise it when the game is actually good and I want to invest time in it. That's why real racing got frustrating for me. I actually really enjoyed the gameplay. I play pixel people and don't mind iap because its barely a game and my mind deactivates while I play it.

I think the issue is the gameplay is okay but not that good, so when it suddenly shifts from an alright distraction to a grind we need to pay our way through it's so much easier to drop it and find something else. They just don't build in that time sink investment for us? (well me at least)

Spoiled for choice I think.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Shalinor posted:

That's because Ninja Fishing was an unauthorized clone of Radical Fishing from Vlambeer, which was a flash game. It took them this long to finish the iPhone version.

... but the really sad this is, iPhone gamers don't really read press, so every single person out there is going to have the same thought you did :/

Pretty much this, it's one of my least favorite indie stories. Vlambeer should have done way more than they did to protect their work, but well I can't fault them for getting frustrated with the whole process.

It really blows.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Fazana posted:

Anyone taken a look at http://appshopper.com/games/dungeon-plunder yet? It looks quite interesting and I'll probably throw some coins at it tomorrow anyway but early adopters views are always appreciated.

I like it, it's like video poker meets a roguelike, peramdeath with carried over gold and runes you unlock for success each run that give permanent boosts to all characters.

Pretty simple gameplay but, I won't regret dropping 2$

Thanks for the link.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

Star Traders released another update yesterday. Man, they just keep piling in the ship classes and fixing bugs.

I've even managed to start making lots of money and affording to buy the ship of my dreams. Gonna ram all the other ships, forever.

This game is surprisingly fun, I played back at launch. For anyone stuck on how to get into the game, the best simple advice I can offer, manage your reputation carefully, have one enemy, maybe two.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

loudog999 posted:

So is that Walking Dead that was given away for free worth picking up? Anybody that finished it have any idea of the amount of time you need to sink into it? Any IAP walls?

It's a pile of poop is how I'm gonna say it

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

UncleSmoothie posted:

People really like Dungeon Plunder so much? What am I missing?

The combat got really repetitive really quickly, especially once I realised that all of the enemies are basically the same.

There's a neat strategy involved in optimizing use of your powers, along with the gradual gain of power through successive losses. I don't know what else you're looking for, but I found it fun to play between busy periods at work.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Bummey posted:

Lost Star is probably good, but gently caress is it weird and difficult compared to Tactical Warrior. I just can't quite wrap my head around the changes.

Tactical Warrior is a lot more streamlined and focused, it's a challenge in restrained in making that experience. That said, Loststar is great for messing around and is a lot less tense, there's no way to screw yourself as you -can- grind and there's way more keys/paths. It can still be a challenge mind you.

That said I'd recommend both.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Shalinor posted:

For whatever tiny bit it's worth, we can't even get them to show their demo off at local indie "play everybody's games and do feedback" events. We've all but rolled out the red carpet, and they're local, but they've never shown - vague promises, then nothing.

I get the impression they're just not great at community / PR stuff. The way the're handling that side of things probably shouldn't be taken as any useful indication of how the game itself is doing.

That said the last gameplay stuff they showed looked attrocious, the fact they're hiding it away isn't really all that promising, along with the delays and the somewhat amateurish 'everything' they've been doing. Not that I'm putting nails in this coffin, who knows right? But I would not hold my breath for an mobile gem.

That said I hope I'm proven wrong.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Splits posted:

I feel the same way. I can't seem to get into it.

Anyone have any good loot grind RPGs on iPhone or iPad that don't hinge on IAP?

It's entirely that. The fun comes, like in most RPGs for me, in streamlining my characters to stomp challenges far above my level while stuck on a bus or something.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tigsaw posted:

I trust goon recommendations more than itunes ratings, can anyone help me out? I'm after a turn based RPG and/or roguelike that'll last me a while, randomisation and permadeath are a plus.

For context, lately I've been playing Dungeon Plunder and Knights of Pen and Paper, although I burnt out on the latter pretty quickly.

I like simple combat, or games with gimmicks, like Dungeon Plunder's slot machine combat.

In regards to Dungeon Plunder, it recently received a pretty cool updating balancing things and some ease of life changes. The path makes progression a little bit easier (you start at a higher level now following subsequent runs much easier) and making monsters more unique.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Teddybear posted:

It got me back into it. I had been stalled out around level 6 for a while. It only took one breakthrough and now I'm off to the races. Getting into the intermediate runes helped too.

That game has no business being as fun as it is. I fear that we might be approaching the point where slot machine combat games are becoming a genre, and maybe it's the compulsive gambler in me but I am on fuckin' board.

Also kids playing video games with their parents is never not adorable. I remember playing Tetris against my mom on the original Game Boy-- I was really proud the first time I beat her. (And I'm like 95% sure she didn't go easy on me. ... I think all moms are secretly really good at Tetris. Whenever I bring this up everyone's like "yeah, my mom was a Tetris pro.")

Seems more like a video poker based combat due to the holding and such, adds a very shallow layer of strategy between the three classes (espcially when you have abilities that tie into the 'reels') that makes the game less boring and often less frustrating than a straight up slot system (KINGS CASHING :argh:)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

For anyone so interested, Lunar (as in, the RPG) 1.2 is out, with English subtitles plus a few UI touchups and bugfixes here and there.

I forgot to post this, uh, one the part where they leave town for their REAL ADVENTURE towards the beginning the game keeps freezing, did anyone else experience this? Or just me

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

We've gotten a few bug reports since the app was released, but that was not one of them. If you're still having it in the latest version, feel free to PM me -- or alternatively email info(at)somoga.com if you don't have or want to PM -- and we'll try and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Cool :) I'll give it a try and see what's up, no idea what would cause it but I've got a boring shift tomorrow at work so I'm sure I'll be able to sneak in another test.

Dungeon Plunder, has anyone noticed the slowly creeping frost that changes the land as you play? Most notable in the level 3-4 area of the game usually, I haven't gotten too far so whether it's just a neat weather effect (winter is coming) or tied to the 'narrative' (is none?) I don't know, but it was neat and made me curious.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Four is great, but pricey, if you're in to silly challenge runs and a plethora of ways to run a party one might be fine, if it has the bonus dungeons there's a decent bit of content in 1. Two has a rediculous level up system I really enjoy, and that can be used to break the game hard if you're so inclined. Three is not something I can recommend in good conscience, but it has a 5-ish(ISH) job system in place if that's your sort of thing.

If character customization is your thing four is kind of a miss, set jobs and so on, but a good game nonetheless.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Bummey posted:

Sadly, we seem to be in the minority. Handheld devices like the PSP (and the Vita, now) have long struggled with that very issue of people trying to make games unsuited to the platform. It's just How Things Are.

I'm somewhat with you guys, for the iPhone I don't play action games unless I know I have a window break to focus to them, so long bus rides for example, but those aren't nearly as common as say a half minute between customers that could be shorter or longer, pause button doesn't usually help.

Basically, I play both, but turn based games or easily paused ones are the ones that get the most play for me because my iPod is a stopgap gaming device. For PSP though, I find it more a dedicated gaming device, so I'll play it at home even if I have access to my PC so it's not quite so onesided.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe if SE is remaking FF games they'll do a remake of FF:MQ with the music redone with rock+orchestral tracks.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Haha. No. I don't think so, MQ is unlikely to see any love anytime soon sadly.

That said I love the poo poo out of the game, mostly the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6yEhFPaBMo

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Corridor posted:

Hahahahaha.

It isn't really a game, as such. It is not what you would call fun. It's a kind of interactive art piece.

You mean, perhaps, no! A game that -is- art!? :monocle:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Despoiler posted:

I think that actually is pretty bad. I'm trying to enjoy myself and see tangible progress when I play - not grind for 3 days straight to get a single character to level 3. Maybe if there was more variety than playing the exact same levels over and over and losing on the fire level or the one right before it. It's not like there's a lot of depth to the game so it's just painful to grind.

This is 100% my experience with the game, I may play it off and on but it feels like the grind is way too deep and without interesting gameplay to followup I'm not really interested in paying 6$ to see if it actually gets fun.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

After coming off Ridiculous Fishing, I was hoping that Nimble Quest'd have tilt as an option.

Oh. Oh god. Why would you even.

Why.

:psyduck:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Bummey posted:

Video games on our cellular phones are kind of a big deal

I use an iPod :smuggo:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Feenix posted:

Jesus, iOS games are serious business. Some of you are seriously on the fast track to Butt-Hurt about a free game that should really just be taken on its merits or walked away from...

A free loving mobile phone game.

Perhaps the one taking things too seriously...is you!? :stonk:

Doom RPG is an interesting beast, I can recommend it was only slight hesitations. Also I died in Nimble Quest because a swipe didn't register :( Prolly too light of a swipe or something screen related rather than NQ.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Wario In Real Life posted:

Sycophants...? Really...?

I've noticed a bit of sycophanticism, there is a rather hostile attitude towards people who don't super love nimblebit in this thread. I wouldn't go so far as to say that though.

Anyone still playing Dungeon Plunder? Seems like the weekly updates are sticking around for awhile, neat to see the big changes each week, I find it's one of my goto timewaste games before bed or when I have a second to just play a little.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

porktree posted:

Is this all there is.

Content patch incoming.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Mozi posted:

The Fleet is really good, apparently Choice of Kung Fu is good too.

Look at each choice of game if you like the idea of what it's about you'll like it, they're all solid. Vampires is about vampires in an..anne rice? wod? kind of way? Broadsides is about boats, Star Captain is a rogue AI Friendship simulator, Kung Fu is a solid wushu adventure.

I've yet to find a choice game I did not enjoy. Dragon is their first real one and it shows, very basic but still a fun relatively linear game.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

nomapple posted:

Nice OP. I didn't realise it had actually been submitted now. This might pull me away from Nimble Quest for a bit, I really hope it doesn't disappoint.

I've got a lot of personal stake in it being bad. I hope I am super wrong.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Bummey posted:

Are you working on a similar game, or something? Elaborate!

Aw man! You made me want to start one though, I wonder if...

Er, but no, sadly. I've just vested personal bets against it and will have to face a reality, if it's good, that I can be wrong on the prospective quality of a game based on following drama and news around it. :argh:

Also, I am seriously enjoying Lunar SSST, really scratching my RPG itch. Are there any other decent RPGs for the iOS Phone market that aren't square enix? I'd even included stuff like Shining Force (already beat). I've also already played through Zeboyd Games stuff too though.

And Loststar/TacWarrior.

I really like RPG games okay!?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Pray For Death posted:

Have you played Cthulhu Saves the World? Knights of Pen & Paper? Baldur's Gate?

Cthulhu is Zeboyd, along with Rainslick and Breath of Death. Have KPP, and also it's iPod touch, so iphone, I don't think BG is on it, but I've beat it on PC too.

Aw man I think I've played all the good RPG's haven't I.

The Rokstar posted:

Yeah the new Bard's Tale is a completely different game. I think it comes with the old PC games if you buy it, but they're pretty much unplayable without a bluetooth keyboard.

Also I had no idea Cthulhu Saves The World was on iOS. I love that guy's games.

Zeboyd is a two man operation, and I love them to death. If you have not played Rain Slick, do it do it doittt

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

duckfarts posted:

It got mentioned earlier, but the "Choice of" games are pretty loving cool. They have some free ones that have nags but seem otherwise complete, and straight up pay ones for 2-3 bucks. I played through Choice of Dragons once and I'm playing through Choice of Broadsides now. More than playing a Choose Your Own Adventure game, these are like playing a themed version of Alter Ego, and if you haven't played that, you should really click that link. I'm looking forward to grabbing either the Star Captain one or Eerie Real Estate Agent after I go through these a few times.

Seconding everything in the post. Alter Ego and Choice of are really freakin' great.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Apocron posted:

I tried Choice of Broadsides and Romance and they had their high points but both seemed quite short and the relationship parts were awkward. Are the rest of the "Choice of" Games the same?

Broadsides is pretty neat, mostly because of the first half, my character is usually single by the end but a sweet rear end famous admiral.

50/50 I get killed in a mutiny.

Choice of Romance is a low end one in my opinion, Dragon is very simple. I recommend Choice of Kung Fu,

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Owlkill posted:

Is there a decent amount of replayability to these? I've been through Broadsides once and Dragons twice, and while they're great fun I'm wondering whether there's more variation in the choices that pop in the paid-for apps. I know they're not hugely expensive (£1.99 in the UK app store) but I blasted through Dragons and Broadsides in about 10-15 mins each.

Dragons is super basic, broadsides has a bit more complexity, the main draw I find in these games is winning better in subsequent attempts, or just trying wildly different characters in other runs to see how I can mess with the story. Often making my numbers better after enjoying the narrative my first run is my replayability. That said Choice of The Fleet is a pretty great BSG/Mass Effect styled thing that seems like it has a lot of replayability and depth. It's also hard as poo poo.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Bummey posted:

All gone.

HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE?

Jerks need to post when they take codes, just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nah just assume they're all gone if you didn't catch it the second they were posted and talk about Rignoauts instead (game seriously owns but gently caress getting 3 stars is hard on some levels)

I want to but I game on an iPod Touch :(

• Locked thread