Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

goatface posted:

Desperate attempt to get the bowlers some wickets without changing the terrible pitches.

I thought the latest complaint was the the shield pitches were too bowler friendly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Yep a couple of states (queensland and Tasmania most obviously) have been producing greentops to get a result. Its a desperate attempt to encourage those states to flatten out the wickets to what they would prepare for a test match.

Personally, I think the batsmen are just being huge wimps but it will help in the development of spin bowling and playing spin bowling. I doubt players like khawaja or Hughes faced too much spin last season.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Yep a couple of states (queensland and Tasmania most obviously) have been producing greentops to get a result. Its a desperate attempt to encourage those states to flatten out the wickets to what they would prepare for a test match.

Personally, I think the batsmen are just being huge wimps but it will help in the development of spin bowling and playing spin bowling. I doubt players like khawaja or Hughes faced too much spin last season.

Overlooked is the effect of the weather we've had over the last few years with unusually wet summers - it makes it rather difficult to prepare anything BUT a greentop. Only a few years ago pitches were bone dry and hard - but it was a huge drought. Sydney I think has been the most changed in nature, what with the wicket just simply not breaking up, because the underlying base has plenty of moisture in it. Another dry spell, then we'll be whining about unresponsive pitches again and the SCG will break apart from day 1.

The balance is hard to get and it's also very weather dependant - it would be nice if Sydney was always a spinners paradise, WACA a firey bouncy extreme pace love affair, The Gabba for seam and swing, Adelaide for a road before becoming a construction zone, and MCG for low slow unpredictable bounce. But curators prepare what they can if the weather doesnt play nice, thence some of the incredible greentops we have seen lately.

(And also, those greentops have produced some of the best cricket and they still had five day tests)

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I don't disagree and I think CA is just searching for answers. The argument they give is the test wickets are flatter than the fc wickets but we basically finish the test summer by January. There is a huge difference between a WACA pitch that has had a few months of summer baking it out and the one served up in November/early December.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I don't disagree and I think CA is just searching for answers. The argument they give is the test wickets are flatter than the fc wickets but we basically finish the test summer by January. There is a huge difference between a WACA pitch that has had a few months of summer baking it out and the one served up in November/early December.

CA are looking at the facts in a way that suit their own agenda - the real answers they would know. The entire board needs to step down and the dick sucking of T20 has to stop, that's the first two steps. If there's a scheduling problem, who's most at fault? Plus stopping FC cricket for 6 weeks for hit n giggle really signals the priorities.

The greatest batsman ever came about when wickets were vastly worse, if anything greentops and wickets that gently caress over batsmen should produce batsmen who are much better. Why aren't we seeing a slew of batsmen who know how to handle a swinging ball and can build an innings? I can understand how Australia cant handle spin, it's hard to explain the inability to handle a swinging ball.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I can't see them extending Shield games to five days because that would cut down on the amount of time available for T20 games!

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Cat Terrist posted:

Why aren't we seeing a slew of batsmen who know how to handle a swinging ball and can build an innings? I can understand how Australia cant handle spin, it's hard to explain the inability to handle a swinging ball.

I'd say one reason is that the Kookaburra doesn't move like a Duke, and English overhead conditions are generally more conducive to swing regardless.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Cat Terrist posted:

if anything greentops and wickets that gently caress over batsmen should produce batsmen who are much better. Why aren't we seeing a slew of batsmen who know how to handle a swinging ball and can build an innings? I can understand how Australia cant handle spin, it's hard to explain the inability to handle a swinging ball.

Not really because if you spend your shield career playing in an environment where a couple of guys slapping streaky 50's on a greentop and the team making 220 is considered a successful innings, it's pretty hard to change mentality when you get presented with a road and you are now faced with the prospect of needing to bat for more than a day to set a competitive team

Bowler-friendly wickets may be a good thing for correcting bad techniques, but certainly not for creating batsmen who want to bat all day.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they have a huge reactionary swing back towards batting friendly surfaces, they'll just cripple the bowling.

They really need every ground to have its own quirks and its own challenges. If that upsets the T20 crowd, then loving well upset them.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I think it's probably more important to be playing first-class on lots of different grounds, and I think the kids are all playing in the IPL over winter rather than in county cricket these days, is that correct?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Pretty much, I can't think of any Australian players who have been playing county cricket apart from the usual suspects like Rogers. Cowan was at Notts for a bit at the start of the season, for all the good it did him. Funnily enough, like someone said in the thread earlier, the top run scorer in Division 1 is Sam Robson who played for Australia under 19s and is pretty much blatantly Australian, but has a British passport and could be thinking England are a better bet for him.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The 2015 world cup starts on the 14th of February and ends on the 29th of March, that's a lot of ODI's nobody is going to give a poo poo about at all.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/bcci-probe-panel-illegal-unconstitutional-says-bombay-high-court-398864?pfrom=home-lateststories

quote:

Mumbai/New Delhi: The Bombay High Court has called the Indian Cricket Board's probe panel illegal and unconstitutional.

Centusin fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 30, 2013

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Scylo posted:

The 2015 world cup starts on the 14th of February and ends on the 29th of March, that's a lot of ODI's nobody is going to give a poo poo about at all.

Slightly more compact than the last one!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Lionel Richie posted:

Pretty much, I can't think of any Australian players who have been playing county cricket apart from the usual suspects like Rogers. Cowan was at Notts for a bit at the start of the season, for all the good it did him. Funnily enough, like someone said in the thread earlier, the top run scorer in Division 1 is Sam Robson who played for Australia under 19s and is pretty much blatantly Australian, but has a British passport and could be thinking England are a better bet for him.
Yeah, he has an English mum so it's kind of on the same level as Pietersen.

I think the chief reason he's over here is that the County Championship also pays a whole lot better than the Sheffield Shield now, which ties into the other problems with Australian first class cricket.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The other thing I think he's said is that he wanted to focus on long form Cricket and there are 14 games in a County season compared to 10 in the Shield season.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Scylo posted:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/bcci-probe-panel-illegal-unconstitutional-says-bombay-high-court-398864?pfrom=home-lateststories

International cricket back in Christchurch :woop:

Provided we triumph over the roman sandal brigade protesting about the development of the cricket facilities on the area of Hagley Park already exclusively used for cricket that is.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The BCCI conducted a sham trial? Well I never...

quote:

The Bombay High Court has said that the BCCI's two-member committee that investigated and subsequently cleared the owners of the Rajasthan Royals and Chennai Super Kings IPL franchises was constituted illegally. The BCCI, it said, will have to investigate the matter afresh.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/656499.html

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Just ban India from everything. No one's going to miss them.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The bookmakers would.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Scylo posted:

The other thing I think he's said is that he wanted to focus on long form Cricket and there are 14 games in a County season compared to 10 in the Shield season.

16 actually. Plus County Cricketers get all-year, full-time contracts. Australian domestic cricketers are only contracted for six months of the year. For all the evils of Sky buying up the live tv rights in the UK, it has meant that English domestic cricketers are the best paid in the world - IPL excepted of course. The salary cap for a county team is £1.9m, as opposed to AU$1m for a state team, so about four times as much.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

It could turn out to be a double edged sword though if they're getting paid so well that some old dross will continue well into their late 30s and it results in less opportunities for younger players. A bit like the ridiculously outdated benefit season laws.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The younger players are doing well, they're 69/7 against SA A. I guess that's what happens when they're not on a road anymore.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maddinson must be looking around at the rest of his team wondering what the gently caress is wrong with them.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

rise and shine, who's ready for Cricketball

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is the test today?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Every day is a test as a fan of Australian cricket

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
No Blowers or Tuffers on TMS today.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Weather's been poo poo in the UK for the past week, so fingers-crossed that we can get five day's play.

(lol - 5 days)

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Sounds like it could be a good toss to lose

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Australia won the toss and having a bat

ETA to Watto LBW 45 minutes

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I wish they had played Bird instead of Warner, he'd probably get more runs

and Clarkes moved to 4 again because apparently he can't make up his mind

cardgame
Nov 15, 2004
hmmmm.
Nathan Lyon has a really small head

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

rise and shine, who's ready for Cricketball

Me I am.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I thought Hughes hadn't done so bad this series?

And I dunno what this Jackson Bird fella needs to do to get a game.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
So Australia drop their leading run-scorer this series (Agar)

Edit: Bird was man of the match in his last test and seems suited to English conditions. Should be given a shot.

put both hands in fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 1, 2013

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Over by day 3. Sorry mancs and your lovely upgraded ground. Hope Rogers hits a ton, don't know why but I have a bit soft spot for him, that or I feel sorry for him, what with finally getting to play so tests and the team he's in is utter gash.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I think Hughes is Australia's leading run scorer for the entire tour so far. I mean, he's not great but I think the leading run scorer might be more valuable than a man that made runs on a road

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Lionel Richie posted:

I thought Hughes hadn't done so bad this series?

Scored something like 87 runs total with ~84 of them in one innings.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

That's pretty good for Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
At least he has a pretty good tour average of 62 which kind of suggests that your county sides are poo poo

• Locked thread