Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

How accessible is Victoria 2 to a relative newbie to Paradox? I picked up HoI3 about 2 weeks ago and generally understood it, although I wasn't great at war* and wanted to play as an economic or political super-power anyways.

*I was able to figure out the Spanish Civil War as Republican Spain after a bit, and was able to then use my advanced knowledge to get a bunch of Spanish Troops killed trying to keep Germany from taking France in '39 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Gort posted:

gently caress, as far as I'm concerned, if you could understand Hearts of Iron 3 you can do anything.

I don't want to pretend like I understood everything- at best I was able to generally figure out there were probably multiple reasons I was sucking rear end.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ok so first obstacle with Victoria 2- in crashes when it tries to load up the map logic, looking for a file it cannot find. Common issue?

Bought through Steam, not sure if I should re-install?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

One thing I do not fully understand in these games is "cores". I kinda get they're a claim on the territory/people a country province has (at least in the game mechanics) that motivates them to take and protect that region. Is that a correct statement? Anything I'm missing?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 30, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ok got Victoria 2 to run tonight. Those are some giant rear end menus with very bad font...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ok another Vicki2 question: I'm playing as Argentina, and I can't change my government. It's a Presidential Dictatorship with the Reactionary Party, and while there are 2 other parties hanging out, my government doesn't let me appoint/select conservative or liberal parties. Is this normal? I don't see any decisions or anything that suggests I'll be able to change the government in the near future either?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Agean90 posted:

You will have to wait for your government to get enough liberal senators/ministers or whatever (as shown in the politics screen) to start reforms to get you out of a dictatorship. You can accomplish this by educating your public via increasing the number of clergy POPs or by spamming elections. You cant select what party in is power manually unless you're a monarchy of some kind.

WELCOME TO VICKY 2 :kheldragar:

Ah, ok thanks :)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I got about 20 years in on the scenario with no events or other obvious paths to changing my government, so it looks like I'm stuck until I sit around for a revolution...which feels lame. Def going with a mod, or just changing the country file.

Is there a good place to see a summary of all PDM does? The link in the OP leads to a forum site and it's a bit confusing since they seem to mostly have notes on what their more recent changes were.

Also, it seems I usually get a chance early on to go to war with Bolivia to grab some of their states. It seems to me a more valuable long-term plan though would be to try and take over Chile for the Pacific access and their mineral RGOs. Is there any way I can spin what seems to be a Chile/Brazil/Argentina feeding frenzy on Bolivia into a CB on Chile? And how likely is it I can expand that CB into state-taking?

edit- I found the PDM wiki so nevermind that question. Looks like it's an event and I have to let a state secede and re-join. I think I'd rather just change the government type outright from the start, personally.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 1, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ok so swapped Argentina over to starting as a democracy, which is a bit more engaging, and discovered that I need to rely on capitalists to start all my factory/railroad projects. Fine and good, so I put my NF on capitalists and start grinding up a couple hundred of them. One thing or possible problem I notice though, it seems like Capitalists are almost always showing as having "no needs met" in the tax/budget screen. Like they'll list as +95% are having no needs met for a week or two, switch to 0 for a day or so, and then back to 95%.

Are they just taking their weekly paycheck and chucking it into whatever project's at the top of the list? Is there a point where they hit a more steady state?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Capitalist take their income from the profit margins of local factories. If none exist, or none are successful, they earn nothing.

They've carry over a bit of savings from whatever they were before converting, spend it, then go broke and hope that someone else comes along to finish the project before they have to hang up their tophat and go back to work.

Any government with an economic policy that's at least interventionist can throw money at such projects to get them finished, and subsidize the resulting factories until they stabilize.

Yeah I've been chucking money into railroads and factories as I can afford it. Anything I can do to help make sure their outputs have a decent market? I'm assuming I can't control demand, but can I subsidize the exports?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Drone posted:

I never use my NF's to encourage capitalists, especially as a developing country like Argentina. First priority should be encouraging bureaucrats in all your states enough to be able to get each state to 100% admin efficiency, then use your NF's to encourage clergymen until each state has 4% clergy (maximum research points at 2%, maximum literacy gain at 4%). After that, use your NF's for whatever you want.

Eventually as your population gets more educated, they'll promote to clerks, who will automatically promote to capitalists when they're ready. And I think capitalists count in immigration too, so your economy/population SHOULD start developing itself when it's healthy to. If you get a party with State Capitalism in power though, feel free to build/subsidize whatever factories you want to kickstart your industrial base.

If you encourage capitalists before you're ready (ie: before you have the techs to make/run factories profitably), they're just going to go broke and either demote themselves or join in with anarcho-liberal uprisings.

This is helpful, thanks!

1) Where would you put promoting immigration on NF? Especially with Argentina's low pop already...would you make it 3rd or push it behind something else?

2) When gradenko says "get your industry jumpstarted" I'm assuming both having the tech in place and some cash on hand to help pay for factories?

3) Since I still don't seem to be very good at manipulating national politics, it seems like I'm stuck with a conservative party until at least 1860 or more. Is there any reason to try and pull back into a reactionary state-capitalism stance? Or is that just going to make it even slower for me to eventually get to LF?

unrelated:

4) Any ideas on how to get Chile/Brazil to not be in a military alliance? While I can put together enough troops to do what I want with Chile, It's pretty tough to make a go on them and also keep the eventual support from Brazil from stomping all over my northern states.

edit- my most recent try was going pretty great until the fabric factory my young capitalists built started running in the red for some reason, and drained a lot of my funds in subsidies.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 1, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

On the other hand, my Russian Canada (Arkadiya) went on a conquest rampage on my behalf and pushed Great Britain out of the Americas, so they are useful for something.

If there's a way to release Alaska in V2 I'm down.

So I did another go through with the tips above- things seemed to generally go pretty smooth. Once I got to my first factory I started NF'ing on craftsmen to support them and that seemed to help keep them profitable.

One thing that I still suspect I'm doing wrong- even at almost 1870 I haven't seen my # of regiments I can support increase since the start, at ~9. This seems off as my population was growing steadily and I hadn't reduced my military spending to a level where I'd expect people to take other jobs. Is there another factor that plays into that value?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Sorry for (at least) one more question: crisis/flashpoints. I started a new game with Sweden and am finding it also a pretty nice country to start with- both in that you have a small but functioning economy ready to industrialize, and you have some obvious goals available in forming Scandinavia and also retaking Finland.

On the Finland front, though, I am a bit confused- I managed to become a Great Power, but there doesn't seem to be any way to activate the crisis over Finland (which from what I've read is the political method that doesn't risk me getting pounded by the Russian Army). It would seem I'd use an NF to do it, but when I select Finland I'm told something along the line of "you can't NF this until it's a flashpoint..." So how do I make that happen? Or is that an event I have to hope triggers?

edit- ok just read more on them and I had to do this before I became a great power. Welp...not sure if I want to fight a war with them.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 2, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ok so maybe I'm still not getting something about crisis/flashpoints. Re-started a new Sweden game and still can't use an NF to create a crisis over Finland. Not seeing any tooltips that suggest a condition isn't being met, either. :(

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

You can't start crises as a GP but you can definitely start them against a GP (Ottoman Macedonia, anyone?)
You have to actually have a core, you likely only have Scandinavian cores in Finland.

I checked and they're Swedish :(

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Disco Infiva posted:

Most of the games Russia is #2 or #3 GP so they have a large bonus against flashpoint development. Practically, they can never have a crisis inside their border if they keep their high ranking. Ottos are mostly #8 or secondary so they are crisis central.

Even so, I think Slime Bro can't even put a national focus to create a flashpoint tension in Finland. Either he is a Great Power, Russia is too strong or he can't because of Finland's cores (it's been a while so I forgot all the requirements).

I tried it before I was a Great Power and still wasn't able too, and I think Finland has 3 cores from what I'm seeing in the game: Finland, Sweden and Russia. I suspect it's that (1) one of the GPs is at war (maybe the Netherlands crisis?) or (2) Russia is just too powerful. If it's 2, that feels pretty lame.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

DrProsek posted:

It depends on the nation we're talking about how much sense it would make; on the one hand, things like Russia recruiting Polish soldiers, even if Russia has a citizenship policy that makes Poles second class citizens did totally happen in great enough numbers that it really can't be excluded, but on the other hand, the CSA recruiting African-Americans as soldiers shouldn't be possible outside of a decision to maybe create a couple of units. Granted it already can't really happen because the number of free African-Americans in the south tends to be so low there aren't even 1000 free African-American to make soldiers anyway, but you can theoretically have an independent CSA with legal slavery and African-American soldiers if you win the war and wait long enough.

Since I'm still pretty new to V2, how would you do this? It seems like you generally control your soldier selection at the province level, so unless you segregate out our provinces pretty meticulously that's going to be tough when the vast majority of your African Americans are, presumably, slaves working in the same province as their owners?

I guess to me it seems like such a difficult to master mechanic at this point that I'm not sure it's worth the effort to model even more around.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Blarghalt posted:

Is there any particular mod for V2 that fixes the problem of the entire world running out of cement circa 1900 or so?

You can run out of resources? Was that even a concern (from a global perspective) in that period?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Blarghalt posted:

Not so much run out, but by 1900 what always happens to me is that nobody is producing enough cement, so production of new factories and the like grinds to a halt.

Is there a way to tell if it' just that concrete's demand is continually increasing and the factories can't keep up, or does production drop off as capitalists try to replace the low margin concrete factories with higher end goods (I have no idea if the AI is that smart)?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

uPen posted:

Britain/France/Germany loses a major war and collapses into permanent revolutions and effectively stops producing anything. This has a catastrophic effect on the world market as whatever good(s) they produced the majority of simply stops existing.

Oh well, that too :)

(sorry he said 1900 so I assumed it was before WWI)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Sorry for the double-post, but I think I figured out the Sweden/Finland crisis issue I brought up a page ago or so.

Looking at the province info, I see that Viipuri (#339, the border province to Russia in the state of southern Finland) only has cores of Finland and Russia, and not Sweden. I suspect missing the Sweden core could be causing the problem with calling a crisis in southern Finland. I'll play around and test when I have a chance.

edit- also none of then have a core of Scandinavia, which seems wrong.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 4, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Kavak posted:

Kaiserreich. Depending on the country (Russia especially) you can choose different alliances and paths of expansion. The only downside is that you need to purchase Darkest Hour to get it, but it's a good game and worth the price.

Is there a place that details out the underlying assumptions/changes made in Kaiserreich? Like I went to their wiki and see Austria and Hungary have split, which seems odd if the Central Powers had won.

http://editthis.info/kaiserreich/Kaiserreich

edit- like my bigger question would be do they assume Germany sent Lenin back to Russia and the revolution still happened?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

uPen posted:

It's odd that Ireland and the United Kingdom split in the 20's, I mean the Entente had won the war.

As for your second question yes he went back and the Russian Civil War kicked off but after France fell to a communist revolution in 1919 Germany intervened in Russia for the White Army to prevent itself from being surrounded by syndicalist states.

e:http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?504384-The-Kaiserreich-timeline-our-official-canon

Thanks!

frankenfreak posted:

It's not an unbelievable concept. A Central Power victory would only subdue the existing tensions between Austrians, Hungarians, and all the other ethnicities for a few years.

Yeah not unbelievable for sure, but just nice to know the reasoning behind things.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

blackmongoose posted:

Yeah, it's probably one of the least unbelievable things about the timeline (don't read the section on 1918-1920 and just assume the Germans used magic to win the war, it's more plausible).

I'm scrolling through it on my phone at work so it's taking a while but it looks like they kinda hand-wave away the Great Depression on a global scale?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Don Gato posted:

To expand on this, you can't even do a LP on the forums unless you censor any swatstikas that might have been modded in. Not to say there aren't crazy people on the forums, just that they can't overtly display their :godwinning: fanboyism.

Well hopefully they at least model the sinister rot of the Jewish untermench weakening the Allies this time around :mason:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Sorry for the double-post, but I think I figured out the Sweden/Finland crisis issue I brought up a page ago or so.

Looking at the province info, I see that Viipuri (#339, the border province to Russia in the state of southern Finland) only has cores of Finland and Russia, and not Sweden. I suspect missing the Sweden core could be causing the problem with calling a crisis in southern Finland. I'll play around and test when I have a chance.

edit- also none of then have a core of Scandinavia, which seems wrong.

By the way, adding a Swedish core to Viipuri seemed to solve the V2 problem of not being able to national focus tension in Southern Finland.

However, I'm not sure that it has much effect? At the beginning of the game Russia is #2 in Great Powers, and Sweden's usually floating around 9 or 10. It seems like you'll never get a net positive tension increase early on because Russia's GP tension reduction bonus is -.4 to your +.15 for focus. And I'm assuming by the time Russia could start drifting down the ranks of Great Powers, Sweden will almost definitely be a Great Power even by accident.

Is there some other way to spark that crisis off in the 1830s-40s?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Any suggestions on army setup for Victoria 2? I just united Scandinavia and I think I can max out around 40 brigades at the moment, and ~80 ship support points.

-Is there a good target % of soldiers for an average state? With Sweden I was around 4.5% on average, and now that Denmark's under me I found the AI got them up around 7-8%. Am I being too much a pacifist?

-Aside from trying to maintain a good home force against any funny stuff from Russia, I'm slowly trying to figure out how to keep projecting foreign power.

• I've sphere'd Egypt and Hedjaz, and spent a good couple years keeping Jordan from the Ottomans. I'd like to leave a modest army there to keep them from coming back in to Jordan in a few years.
  • I've also sphere'd Argentina since it seems like nobody is too much interested in them...but aside from border skirmishes with Bolivia I'm assuming they're good without standing support
  • With the addition of Danish Ghana I'm assuming it's a good idea to have a small force there just in case, since once I can manage the life rating I'd like to aim into Nigeria and their coal resources
  • Vietnam has given me a casus belli twice now, and I'm trying to decide of I can make a dent into SE Asia with an army of ~30,000 with good tech? I feel like I might be stretching myself thin here.

Also, how do you best judge valuable areas to colonize/sphere? I feel like I'm making all my choices based on aesthetics...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Thanks for the input, all. Sadly that only encourages me to ask more questions. In particular, was I dumb to not keep building Man O' Wars early on? I've hit 1863 and finally have Monitors, but now I need to get level-3 ports (which I need to research), so I'm at least another 4-5 years from having the first one roll off the lines. Right now my navy is mostly steam transports and commerce raiders.

From a stats perspective it looks like commerce raiders stack up well against the Man O' Wars, but they don't add to my military prestige score...which seems like a problem.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

One thing that would be nice in HoI (and I'd guess V2 and others) is some sort of military advisory screen that helped you not only measure how your forces compare to the rest of the world (or at least neighbors, major powers and people you're spying on), but also help you track what those people are projecting to do and also give you a sense of what your leaders think you need to build in order to achieve certain goals. Basically a pentagon tab? I feel like I'm always guessing on what I need to focus on since it's hard to get ahold of what the real strengths/weaknesses of my country are relative to what I'd like to eventually do...

edit- like if I'm playing Republic of Spain and I want to try to be a player on the allies side, how do I make that happen? How many interceptors do I need to keep the luftwaffe from getting easy superiority versus what do I really need to keep my sea lanes somewhat safe? How much is left for land forces? Granted this is a really ambiguous question to answer once you factor in player goals, but some estimates would be helpful as I not only have to estimate for a "present state", but also project months and years down the road...

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 5, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

bUm posted:

Spain is not bad for new players: it's not in the thick of things (no reason to ever be a real part of a war in Europe if you don't want to, just piggyback France on everything/stay out entirely) and not rear end backwards (substantially better off than most of the world at the start).

Yes: becoming a GP. And becoming a GP is pretty easy after the chaff gets cleaned out (AKA all but UK, France, USA, and Prussia/NGF/Germany) since the latter half of the GP slots tend to be fairly fluid for up-and-comers to get into if they're playing their cards right. If you don't want to sit at the kid's table, then it's on you to build a country that warrants wearing your big boy pants. :colbert:

I'm also a fan of Sweden for starting V2- very easy to become a GP, and you have some nice adjacent goals (sphere Denmark to create Scandinavia, liberate Finland from the Russians) but can stay out of Russian/German/French affairs pretty easy as well. Also you have a great literacy rate and plenty of wood and iron to get industry going.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Well this is fun. USA didn't abolish slavery so the FSA seceded. FSA managed to win, which caused this (first time I see it in NNM):

Joke's on the FSA, come the 1990s and beyond, they're gonna have some brutal college football to watch :(

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

In HoI3- is there ever a good reason to research a technology or technologies before its "maturity" year? Either a tech that's so good it's worth grinding out as fast as possible, or a certain strategy or total level of leadership etc etc...?

Edit- like if I'm a minor power and I'm trying to stay focused on a very limited set of military tools (infantry, interceptors, cruisers) should I try for 1938/39 techs in 37', or should I just diversify my tech tree?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 8, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Most of the time you shouldn't research a tech ahead of it's time because the gains are too minuscule compared to the time it takes. Exceptions are if you really have nothing else to research or don't need officers or when you play as Japan in an unmodded game because holy loving poo poo all of those tech modifiers add up and you can research pretty much anything way the gently caress ahead of schedule. Other exceptions might be stuff like the rocketry and atomic techs if you really, really want jet planes and nukes because you have to wait forever otherwise, just remember to research the theory techs otherwise it'll take even longer.

Speaking of which, unless you're playing the Historical Plausibility Project, never research theory techs for anything other than rockets/jets and nukes. The benefits are too small, you don't research them much faster than the techs they modify and on top of that the techs they modify also increase the theory anyway. There might be a few other circumstances where you want to research theory, but right now I literally can't think of any other than what I already said.

Gracias. I'm trying another run as Republican Spain to see if I can derail the Nazis taking France (I imagine it won't go well because France probably won't do anything after a point and England may sit on its hands) and trying to just focus on infantry and anti-tank to slow down the assault, interceptors to try and neutralize any bonus they're getting from the luftwaffe, and organization doctrines so I can actually stay in a fight.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

If I have extra leadership left after I start researching literally everything I want to research that I'm not already ahead of date on, my spy reserves are sufficient, and I have enough officers, I'll research theory techs. They don't provide much benefit, but if you've literally got nothing else worth spending leadership points on, "not much benefit" is still better than just wasting the points completely.

Researching ahead of date is okay, though, as long as you only go a few months ahead. That's because the ahead-of-time penalty is removed on January 1st of the proper year, and since the penalty for ahead-of-time research is applied by increasing the amount of research points needed to finish the tech, you end up not actually being penalized for the few months of early research.

So if it's November 1937 and the tech is listed as 1938, it'll look like I'm taking XX day additional penalty to research it, but come 1/1/38 that XX penalty will be subtracted from the total days left? Good to know.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is there any reason to build/use Anti-Air brigades in HoI3? I suspected they were at best an edge case, but reading through the wiki it looks like they don't even provide province-level AA, so it's at best useful if you have a division all on its own that you think could get attacked by the air a lot?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Given how pointless brigades or niche divisions are in HOI games, I imagine the answer is "build multi-roles instead". Gort will know.

How about engineers? Right now I'm trying to stick my divisions to:

-3 inf, 1 artillery
-3 inf, 1 anti-tank
-2 light tank, 1-2 motorized inf

I don't think I can break Germany's back (I'm Spain, so if I'm lucky I'll have 5 corps and be able to get them positioned in Northern France before fall of 39), but I'm hoping I can hold France. Wondering if the engineer's defensive bonus is worth something.

Edit- also are there any guides/walkthroughs of how to best manage your airforce? I'm trying to maintain a moderate number of interceptors but I'm not sure how best to utilize them.
-If I base them in France once I ally with them, is there a penalty to their organization/manpower reinforcement? I remember a previous playthrough their organization seemed to bottom out
-Should I group all the wings into one big unit, or keep them as small as possible?
-What's a good way to keep them on watch for bombers trying to soften up my defensive lines?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 8, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Koesj posted:

Engineers are only worth their cost if you're attacking forts across rivers or something, and even then a Marine division might work better.

3INF+ART, 2INF+ART+AT, LARM+MOT+AC+AC, and ARM+MOT+SPART+AC are all good basic divisions if you want to keep things relatively simple.

e:

I put it on 29.99 because of the icon insisting I could do more research while investing exactly 30 points :v:

I thought armored cars were lovely? Is it for the combined arms bonus?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Koesj posted:

Engineers are only worth their cost if you're attacking forts across rivers or something, and even then a Marine division might work better.

3INF+ART, 2INF+ART+AT, LARM+MOT+AC+AC, and ARM+MOT+SPART+AC are all good basic divisions if you want to keep things relatively simple.

e:

I put it on 29.99 because of the icon insisting I could do more research while investing exactly 30 points :v:

So gave Republican Spain a go again- and had 4 corps (2 w/ 5 divisions of 2INF+ART+AT, 2x5 of 2LAR+MOT+AC) in northern France and a corps of Mountain in Southern France ready to hold off the Italians. Also had 8 wings of interceptors ready to keep the bombing under control.

At first the Germans seemed to just stop- they came down from Denmark and parked across the Maginot line in Oct/November '39 and stayed their until roughly April. Finally in April something triggered them to go after Luxembourg and they eventually swept through the Netherlands. I was tired and distracted so I let the clock run and they finally took Paris around August and wiped my northern troops a month or so later.

2 questions for smart HoI players

-I noticed that I was losing a ton of Fuel mobilized and waiting, and the tool tip tells me I'm trading 44 fuel away a day along with another ~30 going into the network (which I assume means going to the troops). I couldn't find anything in the trade/convoy tab, so I'm not sure if this is a bug or something that's just kind of not explained. Anything?

-Once the Germans started moving, I felt like I was powerless to win a fight with them. I could keep them from beating me when they attacked me while dug in on the maginot line, but every other time I got crushed- definitely when trying to attack their positions. Watching the battles, it just felt like my Organization drained out at a much higher rate than them. they were around 70 and would maybe drop to 50, while I'd go from 50 to nothing in no time flat. Is this some effect from their Blitzkrieg decision? Or is there some critical tech or planning I didn't consider? I think I did a reasonable job setting up my OoB and assigning commanders and getting officers to 140%. I feel on easy difficulty I should at least be going toe-to-toe with them?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

sureaboutthatthing posted:

When your troops are in France they will consume French supplies/fuel, and your nation will give them some, listed as "traded away", to compensate. The resources at the top of the screen are only what is in your capitol supply dump and when it says into the network it means it is going out towards other provinces where the troops will consume them (or eventually return to the capitol if they do not).

The Germans does get a Blitzkrieg modifier which greatly boosts their soft attack and some other stuff, but if you were defending the Maginot you should still be able to easily beat them. Were you getting pounded by airpower?

Ahh, thanks for the fuel explanation. Still I was surprised how quickly I was eating through it- I could keep my army running for ~6-8 months before it shut down, which felt pretty high. Is it assumed I'll just need to buy a ton of fuel from other nations? Given how precocious other nations seem about proposing and revoking trade agreements...

Another thing I noticed and forgot to ask about : as the war kicked off I offered lend-lease to France/England since I wasn't really building anything and figured I'd like to see how that worked. That seemed to chew through my resource stockpiles pretty quickly- do the using nations get to use my resources too? If so/ bigger question- if I request/secure a lend/lease from another nation do I get to tap in to their resources?

On the Germans- I didn't have any real problem on defense, but offensively I felt like I had no chance. Even when Germany took Luxembourg- they had maybe a full division there from what I could tell and my 2 divisions got creamed, organization-wise at least. They had maybe 2 days to dig in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

sureaboutthatthing posted:

The supply system gets wonky when it comes to transfers between different nations, normally fuel is in overabundance almost always. Keep the navy out of allied countries though, I believe you give away as much fuel as if they were working on full efficiency rather than sitting in port which shouldn't cost anything.

Yeah, the resources cost for lend-lease is paid by the provider - it would be pretty strange if the resource-starved Britain couldn't actually use the lend-lease the US gives it.

The Germans receive large bonuses from the Blitzkrieg desiscion and their starting divisions have sky-high experience, so a German division is probably about equal to two similarily teched allied units. Also I believe Luxemburg is forest terrain which gives large defence bonuses and AT brigades have massive penalties to offence; they are a specialised unit and shouldn't be placed in standard frontline units.

Thanks for all that- but where can I tell that AT has penalties to offense? I thought I needed/wanted them to help with the hardness of German armor versus my infantry. Are TDs penalized less on offense?

• Locked thread