Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

ExtraNoise posted:

Continuing with interface design for the Modern Age Mod:
Well... it's a start.

Hey, I'm really diggin' what you're doing, but I think you might be able to subdue the popping color tabs a bit and get a better result. Colors that are a bit duller and darker would have the text still be legible and pop, and simply having color at all will still make those tabs pop from the dark colors. Something closer to this for example: http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/110225/Vintage_Modern
But I'd probably go a touch darker and less saturated for yellows and other naturally bright colors. Keep the text popping out and legible. Ultimately, it's all about contrast and keeping text legible, which your newspapers kept up pretty well. By the way, those newspaper headers are so awesome!

I don't know if you'd like a little help with small graphics like pops or whatever, but I could probably help a little in my spare time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

In the end, please point out poo poo that sounds unfun or stupid, I'm the only one who's looked at this whole setup so far, so outside eyes always help.

Paid Membership should probably be a government type that requires you to be at a certain number of provinces or bigger, like the Empire government type from EU3. In real life, sites tend to crash and burn easily on this model and the sites that do well have a service they provide (news, adult services, etc).

Kind of deals with previous stuff you've posted, but with any of the site-states that you plan to erode away (Left continents pretty much?), I'd recommend giving them the option to reform. Sort of like a mix between westernization and reforming religion in CK2. Own the right places and you can enact a decision to reform Geocities into a modern site and remove any triggers for erosion.

Speaking of which, I may just be dumb and forgot, but any plans for what religion would be? Advertisers? Types of users/population or user mindset/culture? (I'm at a slight loss for the right words I'm thinking here, but this sort of sums it up.) Just curious.

I don't have much to contribute or critique unfortunately. Anything I knew could have been found with a search on the dot-com bubble.
I'm really liking these updates though and look forward to hearing more about the mod as it progresses. :)

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Trujillo posted:

I applied to that EvW "job" opening a while back that someone linked in here. I thought maybe I could improve it a little bit and actually add some Cold War into their Cold War game. They said they liked my events and they'd bring me on as an event writer but they wouldn't be able to pay me. Of course, I'd love to do volunteer work on your lovely game that you're going to make money off of from the people you had add themselves into the game.

Now you know how I feel with the whole unpaid thing (minus the part about it being a lovely game, I can't properly judge the game right now). Garek Maxwell here, minister guy and probably the one you all point at laugh at for the We Are The World thing. :smith:
I'd be reassuring y'all a lot more if I could for at least the We Are The World event but my hands are tied on what can be said (I signed an NDA). I guess what I could say is not every image submitted gets in. Take that for what you will given the previously infamous examples posted before.

I do use this thread to alert others when things are really bad at least, so don't stop the criticism. :gbsmith:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Trujillo posted:

Ha, I knew someone involved was going to read that after I posted it. :smith: Just struck me as strange to ask people to work for free on something that's for profit but I guess I don't know the industry that well.

My main problem with it is it seems to be too focused on the war part of the Cold War but I guess that's just the type of game it is. And the need to have a "We Are The World" type situation to begin with. It says in the developer diaries that the reason it's being done is it can be tough to find ahistoric ministers for some countries but Kaiserreich found real leaders across the ideological spectrum in made up countries and it took place years before. Seems like it'd be easier to find political figures for real countries during an even more politically diverse era.

It's okay, I thought I was getting into a minor role and I ended up being a dev. Still unpaid, but I get fringe benefits and it's helped my resume at little. I think it's pretty obvious it's a tightly budgeted team. I know Manga Mundi/World Stage gets brought up a lot here, but paradox has a better grasp on having 3rd party developers work for them now from my perspective. If there's one thing I can say, I really don't think it will be another MM/WS.

For the most part we could find a lot of what is usually suggested for ministers, but we're still developing nations as they get posted (even after). Just check out the UK in the latest round. I personally didn't want it posted so soon...Ugh. But, it's really hard to find, say, a fascist for Nigeria or any number of countries with very little documentation on their third party politics. The main intent for We Are The World was to help us fill in those gaps. Which in some cases it definitely has. I will say this, historical ministers get priority for being in charge of a country.

VV That means you'll need to work on getting yourself in charge, Gorgo. You've got competition for leadership, sorry! VV

Patter Song posted:

Hi there! Thanks again for accepting the thread's OP as a potential head of Spain, we both really appreciate it and it means that I will always play Spain in EvW to get him in charge! :)

Gorgo Primus posted:

Seconding this. No matter what else one can say about EvW, you can't say it doesn't have the potential to be an awesome Iberian world conquest game.

:unsmith: Thanks y'all. I really hope it's a good game myself. I'm just like you, I just happen to have "extra early access".

Overall for those here, definitely do not stop the criticisms. It's cringe inducing but I'd rather know than not. There's a goon on the inside if it helps any.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

uPen posted:

Silent Workhorse.
:negative:

Does this mean all my spare time work on a day one pony mod for East vs. West will turn all those frowns upside down? :downs:

There is no pony mod and I would never do that. I'm so sorry.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Well, with De-Sphering it's easy, just go into the diplomatic screen of whatever nation is your sphereling and click "remove from sphere". With De-Puppeting, you release the nation as a vassal, then tag over to it by opening the console menu and typing "tag ---" (like "tag NEN" to switch to New England or "tag CAL" to play as California). Then, as the vassal, click on the overlord nation and declare war on them for independence. Switch back to the overlord, and peace out with the vassal. Then go back to the vassal and accept the overlord's peace offer.

This just destroyed most of the great powers' prestige, though, so it's a kind of topsy-turvy world where Russia is the Number 1 great power and nations like Yugoslavia and Denmark are on the Great Powers list.

If you want to do more and go crazy with it, you can use console commands listed here:
http://victoria2wiki.com/Console_commands

Use the showprovinceid command in combination with changeowner [TAG] [province id], and you can make rearranging the map more interesting. You can actively balance out powers so that Russia doesn't own Siberia or something like that. It depends on how far you want to go, but it can also fix annoying release/territory issues such as making sure Canada owns a tiny sliver of border to keep the US out after you release Quebec, insuring Canada will never be a great power.

Combine it with notepad++ for extra complicated editing, such as giving California accepted cultures of Mexican so they can get somewhere (they will -never- have their accepted pops otherwise since yankees don't seem to ever migrate out of the US).

If you want to do something super crazy, but super fun, I suggest flipping the civilized status of everyone. In Notepad++ for save game editing, it's super easy. Just look for "civilized=yes" and flip that to "nurp", then switch the "no"s to yes and "nurp" to "no". Now China, Japan, and India are world powers and England ain't nothing...for a few decades. Because Europe is very literate, you can't keep them down for long without editing that. Unless you delete or switch technology discoveries, when England westernizes they're back to their old self too. Worst of all, because there's not many industrial goods to go around industrialization takes a long time to kick off even for China. On the plus side, if you play as a Native American country you get a ton of Chinese immigrants since you're the only civilized countries there.

You also get fun results from it like this gem done entirely by the AI:

And the newspaper will post some interesting things:

Edit:

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Honestly, doing it ingame is probably about as much work as changing the province files -- and all you get is a savegame instead of an outright mod.

Depends on how much you do, but yeah. If you're going to do a lot just make it a mod. Minor things like tag switching about can be faster than doing a mod, even changing owner stuff can be faster if you're just doing minor things.

For those too lazy (like me) who don't want to slog through it all, it's at least an option.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 5, 2013

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
ExtraNoise, did you forget Alaska?

Also, y'all should see what I sometimes get PMed. Someone had a photo of them self in a gas mask to use. :( No, no it did not get in.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

All you need for an authentic looking historical photograph is to add a black and white filter, right? Got that, and you're good to go!

I'd honestly prefer it since the process and filters and junk we use kinda covers up/removes most unprofessional effects anyone could/would use (and sepia photos are made b/w for consistency and uniformity). Noise/dust effects? Those largely disappear. Cleans up historical photos too, but that's usually the resizing that does it. It's amazing how many years you can take off a historical leader's picture by shrinking those wrinkles away.

NihilCredo posted:

Dude, was that seriously the least goony picture of yourself that you had?

Hm, yes, that's just how I picture a heroic 1950s French secret agent who goes rogue and liberates Somalia from evil Western oppression, then transforms it into a modern nation in the course of two decades.

No one's photo is guaranteed to get in. :colbert: It's the dirty secret we have but don't tell because it might scare off legitimately good submissions.
It all ends up depending on how it looks shrunken anyway. Gorgo's photo was fine. Espy's was too. YF-23, you're still under review (I've been behind on images due to job searching).

Espy posted:

I'm Katerina, and I made sure not to wear makeup, make my hair frumpy, and put on a suit and glasses as well as not smile with an awkward angle to the camera to keep the tradition of bad photos going.

The fact a stock model got in made me sorta sad I didn't go full makeup and look nice to make a stark contrast though in retrospect since that photo had a stupidly good image quality.

The fact I lost to a goony french spy using white burden to bootstrap africa (the joke) with a goony picture makes me feel pretty good about myself to be honest.

Surprisingly, you looked similar enough to certain politicians I've come across in my work that I thought it was actually a pretty good job. For some reason many politicians didn't wear much make up for most of the period, just a little. I guess this was due to trying to seem professional in a male dominated environment or the older you get the less it mattered...? I've only read a little about the subject and it focused on the 80s business environment, so I can't say I have much to draw from. If you'd like to submit a different photo, just PM Garek Maxwell on those forums (it's me). Admittedly you do look a bit young, but we have historical leaders that look incredibly young too. See El-Ouali Mustapha Sayed.

Also, if you're referring to Maria Gutierrez, we couldn't use her image anyway. I can't go into detail, since I'm still waiting for official word to go forth on why this changed for Corbis images.

Phlegmish posted:

So they are accepting literally all submissions? This is my chance to be immortalized. I'm sitting here in my hoodie and with an untrimmed beard, doesn't mean I can't be a suave Cold War double agent.

You can try. :colbert:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Was East vs. West ever released?

It's still in development. Pretty sure on that one.
Due for release in the first quarter of 2014.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

nutranurse posted:

This is the company that's recently killed two games (MMTG & EvW) because they didn't meet their quality control standards.

:crossarms:
Wait what? This is news to me, given I just worked on East vs. West last night.

It's full steam ahead according to everything I've heard...

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

He's talking about the model it's being released under, which is seen as being half-killed.

Oh! Okay, never mind then. I can't talk much about, well, anything it feels like due to NDAs, but that part got me thinking I missed a memo or announcement.

I can only suggest to keep an eye on East vs. West since, well, that's pretty all I can say regarding recent events.

Edit: Don't think the devs don't know how bad things look right now. I can only say it's being worked on.

Edit 2 ^^^^ : Oh, I know...

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 24, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Well from the public perspective it looks like Magna Mundi mk2. except probably slightly less bad and without a humiliating public blowout by the devs.

Yep, and I don't blame the public from looking at it that way. If I was on the outside, I'd be feeling the same thing. Being on the inside, I hear a lot more and wish I could share some of that to alleviate worry.

I don't want to be that guy and sit here and say "hey guys, it's a good game, trust me". I'd rather show than tell, so all I can say is keep an eye on updates and news. I'm not in charge of any of that stuff, but over time I think devs can restore confidence in the game.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Would it be more accurate to have this idea I've been kicking around as maybe a mod for EU4.

Have the European and other nearby tech groups more closely matched in tech cost percentages. The European "western" tech group is dropped in tech speed matching the rest of the nearby world. Then if certain conditions are met in the time period, and they meet the right conditions then they can enact a decision to enter the "Englightnment" Tech Group.
The decision could be something like:
Byz = does not exist
OR
Border Shared with Byz, TUR

As a very rough way to simulate it maybe (and as merely an example!), with some added mechanics to handle foreign powers untouched by Europe to reach "Enlightenment".

Taking the decision early will give you religious turmoil and other effects making it rough if you want a stable kingdom/republic. But waiting until midgame to late game or so, you can enact a new "limited enlightenment" which gives you the same tech group but with fare less cost to stability.

It would allow for some simulation for how some parts of Europe adopted it quickly, while others really didn't fall far behind but didn't progress as heavily either. It would also allow for, say, Morocco to be on par for a longer period of time to some powers who wouldn't benefit from an early Enlightenment (Spain/Portugal). It'd need a unit overhaul to for this to match up properly though.

Would this even be a good idea as a rough simulation that doesn't go into the nitty gritty? Or is it too simplistic?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I had to do some account finagling because reasons, and so I got these messages from paradox during account activation.

I love you too paradox. :allears:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I love them declaring supercarriers NATO-only. Wouldn't want people having any ahistoric strategic options in East vs West. *Reforms Kingdom of Prussia*

Just saying, Prussia's not in the game at all and was someone's weird ahistorical minister idea which was, for some reason, popular with some folks internally and got enough votes to win an ahistorical minister contest. But that doesn't mean they're likely to be seen (that, I am sure of)! I've also made efforts to steer voting towards better options, though if y'all want to know how bad it can be... (None of that's in game. AT ALL.)

I wish I could address half these concerns. If it helps, I thought the straights dev diary was really WTF too. The AI one is a bit nitty gritty for public consumption too, but whatevs, I'm not in charge of these things. :smith:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Kavak posted:

Who is in from the contest? Any of us? Anyone at all?

Gorgo, and two others who participated (that I know of). Looks to be the third round of the contest for the other two. I'm too lazy to look up who exactly but they posted about it here.

As far as entries that get in go, I can do some minor clarifying. Officially "most get in", but there's always those few that don't (the previously linked one a good example). Only those that win the contest get their minister descriptions in game, the rest only get the very basic entry. And unofficially, I "conveniently leave out" photos for those that just don't fit at all (this goes for photos of like roman emperor statues and such too).

So most ministers get in, but only five get anything more than to be background ministers equivalent to randomly generated ones. They all, even contest winners, take a back seat to every historical minister we have and are clearly marked in all files for easy removal. Hope I haven't crushed everyone's dream of teenagers ruling a neo-fascist Germany/Japan.

Patter Song posted:

Um...while that dev diary was pretty silly, the silliness factor wasn't my concern so much as the notion that Denmark could somehow try to revive the Sound Toll and cut the USSR off from the Atlantic by cutting off transit through the Danish straits. This just seems...wrong for the period. Or the notion that the Tartar Straits are important for the Soviets to hold in case they need to "reinforce Vladivostok by sea." By the time you're sending a fleet around Tsushima style to reinforce Vladivostok and keeping the passage between Sakhalin and the coast open is a strategic consideration, your USSR has bigger problems than strait transit.

I'll check with some devs, that doesn't sound right at all and I can maybe get clarification on how that's supposed to work. It may be we miscommunicated, dunno.

Edit: Oops, quoted the wrong thing!

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 22, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Sindai posted:

Wait a minute, do other Clausewitz-engine export their AI to Lua? I thought it was generally unmodifiable outside of a few things that get exported to text files.

If I recall right, they don't. This means moddable AI behavior which was buried under some of the technical stuff. Not sure how moddable it is though, but it's a big step up from hardcoded.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

You have 24 hours as of this post to get your ministers rejected before the next round of WATW is posted. Please form an orderly line of weaboo-style submissions where in which I will determine if your 3000 year old cyborg vampire emo loner is fit to be king of Japan.

Speaking of things not making the cut, there is no sound toll revival. If you block the USSR from using your precious Danish straight, you buy time. Whether or not that means anything is up to your situation in game. If you're wanting to slow down the soviets from landing invaders on an ally, it's there as an option. It also allows you to be just the biggest meanie ever.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 25, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
"Does that mean [ANIME/HELLO KITTY/DOGE/CHILDREN/YOU'RE ALL AWFUL PEOPLE] are okay?"
No! :cry:

You can make these submissions but don't expect a single one to make it in game. Otherwise, feel free to have fun. It doesn't matter to me because I generally get final say on these things anyway. :colbert:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Dibujante posted:

How much would it cost us to make Lowtax the head of state of a breakaway Cascadia?

You make the minister and pick an existing country using this handy guide and I'll see about adding it in as a "WATW" entry. Closest you got there is Canada or maybe Quebec. Keep in mind with the contest over none of the description will get in game (which is handled by event). So the bare minimum name, ideology, trait, start and end dates, etc are only needed. And I don't have PMs here, so just send it to Garek Maxwell account on the paradox forums if you don't want it posted here. Also, don't use purely Lowtax as the name.

I'm going to admit I've wanted to include a reference to Wiz's Azerbaijan lets play but never got around to it (and I might not be allowed, it's a weird thing).

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
^^^ Box cat is obviously fascist. He only cares about pretty borders and will conquer everyone to force it to happen.

Disco Infiva posted:

Even better, put a guy named Helladid in Greece :helladid:

This too please. If someone else does it then I can put it in as a WATW entry and not get into any weird trouble.

VVVV I think the list is incomplete since there's a few islands I swear are missing and other random countries. Can't say anything, but I don't think it's complete. It is most of them though.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 25, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Dibujante posted:

Partway through this, I realized it was probably not a good idea, but here it is anyways:
Name: Richard Lótàques

Amazing. :allears:

I forgot one thing, if we use his image I'll need his permission. It's a legal thing.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Dibujante posted:

He has granted me permission to use his likeness. Do you have an address I can forward this to?

You can either send it to Garek Maxwell on the paradox forums or to jaw.ware at the gmails dotted com. Screenshots work if you got a PM from him or something to send.

grancheater posted:

Please add the Soviet revolter state of Zheleznogorsk, with the appropriate flag, thanks.

:aaaaa: Shame it's too late to add countries. I'll put it down in our internal "maybe in future DLC" stuff. No guarantees.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Patter Song posted:

If anyone wants it I can link the new version of Steppe Wolfe. I hate that it hasn't been updated for EU4; I had tremendous fun with Steppe Wolfe.

Just going to say that Garek Maxwell is a chill guy and I enjoyed chatting with him getting Gorgo ready for Spain. EvW's team has heart and I really don't want to judge the game until I get to play it, but every indication I'm seeing is that the whole is less than the sum of its parts, so to speak. I do hope that the open beta proves to be better than the info you guys have been putting out, but at minimum this game is a PR mess. This thread here is filled with people who would absolutely love to play a Paradox Cold War game but are put off by everything they hear about it.

I would love for a Steppe Wolfe revival for EUIV. If it doesn't happen by the time EvW is out, I may try my hand at porting all the Bulgarias over. All of them.

And thank you a bunch for those kind words, that really lifted my spirits to be honest (I had a long day when I read it). It helps to know all my work isn't being overshadowed by italian ninja commie fascists from the states. I agree 100% with your observations and concerns too.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Just adapt Twilight 2000 into a video game already.

My Lord! Jacob has declared war on Edward and has asked us join them! They say they have a Casus Bella.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Tuskin38 posted:

They could least drop the NDA and allow beta testers/Devs to share their experiences

I wish. Expect a tell-all in three years.

Cityinthesea posted:

I wonder how many people in that thread who say they're never gonna buy another Paradox game again will buy another Paradox game again.

As much as I have a lot of anger towards paradox right now (I typed out the below part first to get it off my chest), I also understand they're a business. I'll probably still buy their games despite being burned more than simcity fans right now. They spent money, I spent a chunk of my life I won't get back. But regardless, I had an experience for better or worse and paradox makes entertaining games that I deeply enjoy. I'll still buy them...if a bit reluctantly. EA, however, I refuse outright and will never touch their titles. I guess that says something.

Frosted Flake posted:

Can someone give a brief explanation of why East vs West went to pieces?
There were hardly any dev diaries, and whole months passed without any info, but what there was looked kinda promising.

I woke up to a canceled project. Everyone on team was surprised and speechless...well, until the anger flowed.

I can say I'm pissed. Extremely pissed. I'm still bound by the NDA so I can't talk about the state of the game for now, but in three years I will explain the story. Some poo poo happened before I got in on the project, and so I only have chat logs of folks explaining the situation. I was there for a lot of crap though and so while it's still surprising the entire thing was canceled plenty of folks on team had a small suspicion it was a possibility given paradox's behavior.

If I could, I'd dump chat logs but until three years I have to remain silent. Suffice to say, this was out of the blue, and paradox did not handle this entire third party project well at all. Like, at all. The incompetence on their part was astounding. Not that we were perfect, oh no, but it was shocking such a large and generally respected company could be that way. Unfortunately, I can't say any details about any of that and have to stick to generalized opinions.

It probably doesn't mean much, but working in that team, while we had issues and faults, was a pleasure despite not being paid and often putting in long hours. My God, the days I could have spent painting and selling my work... Ugh... I feel like I wasted a chunk of my life. :smithicide:

Edit:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cold-war-grand-strategy

Welp

E: Does anybody know what we are looking for? Another cold war game, another mindless dev, behind the curtain, in the pantomime. THE SHOW MUST GO ON.

:siren: THIS IS A SCAM. :siren:
Whoever did this is not part of our team (or was removed!) and indiegogo is going to be contacted over this. It's a money grab because apparently with indiegogo the guy keeps the money even if it doesn't reach it's goals. If anyone is even thinking about donating, DON'T DO IT.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 6, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
^^^ Nah, most folks on team were level headed and wanted to make a fun game that worked. Pulling all nighters to meet deadlines wasn't uncommon. From what I hear, that's pretty bog standard in the industry though.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

drat dude :smithcloud:

You weren't paid? That isn't right.

I came in as a volunteer doing light work, I ended up head of ministers. No pay. But I did it anyway because I felt it had promise and would be a great game (and would look amazing on a resume). If I thought it would fail or not live up to the standards I expected from paradox, I wouldn't have stayed.

Oh, and just to reiterate and put icing on the cake:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cold-war-grand-strategy

Not only is this a scam, but this is the same guy is who scammed us during development (more details in three years!). Money was involved. Surprised legal action wasn't taken by paradox already, but they might be able to now.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 6, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Viscardus posted:

Bel Monte, you're going to have a hard time convincing most people here to blame Paradox (a company that most of us generally respect, despite the extent to which we often make fun of them) over the people who were actually responsible for creating a game that does not even seem close to releasable after three years of development. I'm not saying Paradox can't have done anything wrong here, but East vs. West had started smelling awfully funny to most of us quite a while before any of this went down, and that's with only the very limited information we were being given.

Paradox has a reputation to protect, as we saw when they pulled the plug on the garbage fire that was Magna Mundi (which the leaked version later confirmed was absolutely the correct move), so while I'm obviously sympathetic to the pain this seems to have caused you, I have to wonder why you're blaming the people at Paradox rather than the ones you were working for. Paradox doesn't want to release poo poo games, and I'm sorry, but you have a lot of work ahead of you if you want to convince me that East vs. West was going to be anything but that any time soon. So the real question is who is responsible for the game being in the state it appears to just about everyone (including Paradox, apparently) to be in. Unless you can convince me that it was somehow Paradox's fault, I'm not seeing how you can really blame them.

I realize this isn't completely fair to you, because you are still bound by the NDA and couldn't tell me if there were incriminating evidence of wrongdoing by Paradox. But when basically everything we were told about East vs. West made it look like a trainwreck of design and development issues, that is the position you're unfortunately put in.

I fully understand where you're coming from. And I don't blame paradox for everything, we messed up too in spots (oh boy did we mess up with PR at least). I don't want to turn people off to paradox either, they can be good folks! But they definitely have issues when working with third party developers and more often than not most of the problems we experienced during development go back to that strained relationship. I don't even understand why it was that way either, because it's in their best interest to be firmly demanding (fully in their right), but also work with us too. That second half just never really happened during this project.

There's nothing I can say or do (at least right now) that won't fix how this game looks like Magna Mundi. It really does!
Everyone is to blame as you say, I just wanted to put it out there that it wasn't only the dev team's fault. We had some great people involved and who spent a lot of time working on systems we didn't even get to cover in dev diaries.

It's certainly a train wreck now, and it's a shock to me too.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Are you sure you're not breaking your NDA right now because that is pretty revealing. :stare:

It's all opinions and nothing too involved. More just "I was shocked".

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh not really, its vague.

Anyway to his his first point it should be mentioned that its obviously biased towards his side.

He could be telling the truth but there isn't much of a way of knowing right now.

^ This. I'm trying to be careful about what I say. I think the only thing that could maybe get me in trouble was mentioning the scam guy, but I'd rather no one even ironically donates money to that project so it's a risk I'll take.

Baronjutter posted:

Was east vs west that horrible amateur-hour clusterfuck where random internet kids were being made country leaders?

None of those teens who were posted actually got their photos in game. Not that it matters anymore.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

I've done some work in the games industry myself, I know how it goes and how it can feel to be cancelled when you don't feel it was right.

It sucks to know that a lot of work went into something that's now over, but it'll all be alright, at least you've got some resume experience that you can put on and show off, made some contacts, and at least hopefully had fun.

Thank you for the words of encouragement, and I definitely understand our image to the outside world. I don't even know if I can fix that after three years either, since most folks will have forgotten and the image is cemented that this is Manga Mundi, cold war edition. Still, thanks and I did have fun and gain valuable experience.

Pakled posted:

I hope the message Paradox takes from this fiasco is that people really, really want a Cold War game that focuses on politics, diplomacy, and brinksmanship, and not that Cold War games aren't worth the time and money.

Me too, I wanted to change history big time as Nat China. :(

nutranurse posted:

How do you win a war where all of your major cities/military sites are bombed with a megafuckton of nukes while you do the same to your opponent? Like, the aftermath of that would just be like playing an African nation in vanilla EU3/4.

Except there's no light at the end of the westernization tunnel, just years and years of subsistence living.

That still sounds like a lot of fun to me if done right, and even better if the AI would do it if things got really bad. Then you can conquer the ruins of the United States as Canada! :black101:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

podcat posted:

@Bel Monte you probably shouldnt post stuff like that while under NDA even if its an emotional day, especially calling paradox incompetent etc. Random internet forums isnt a good place for it. Sorry it didnt work out, there are a lot of cool and passionate people in the dev team and I'm sad for their sake

You're right, sorry about that outburst too. I should say paradox isn't a bad company and I still think they make amazing games. I'm just mad now, but I'll get over it eventually. Unlike EA and other companies that do outright anti-consumer behavior and other highly reprehensible things, paradox is good to it's fans.

I also don't harbor any ill will against specific members of paradox. Y'all are good people, even if I disagree with decisions made.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

logger posted:

Sorry about what happened to you, but I have to tell you that this [me not being paid]
will not do what you think it will for you. Yes, companies are looking for people with skill and experience, but being able to show that you were able to do a job you were compensated for means more to people hiring than if you do work pro bono.

I do wish you well on whatever you try next, but please remember your skill is valuable and if you work for a company that takes in money you deserve some as well.

Thanks, though getting involved in game development was sort of an accident. I never expected to get involved like I did.
For the pro-bono work, I didn't have any choice fresh out of college exactly when the US economy fell apart. Doing work for free expanded my portfolio and got my work out there as a graphic designer, helping me land later jobs. I appreciate the sentiment, but pro-bono work later helped me get in to some nice jobs for a time. Guess I learned a lesson here!

Dibujante posted:

As long as his NDA doesn't forbid him from portfolio pieces, etc., this experience will still actually stand for something. It won't trump someone with a shipped game, but it will definitely trump someone with aspirations but no experience.

That's what I'm taking away from this (I actually can describe roughly what I did thanks to a public dev diary!). It's at least some experience and I have valuable contacts in the industry that may or may not benefit me in the future. Better to have them then not.

As an aside, I want to apologize for my unprofessional behavior yesterday. I shouldn't have made posts in the heat of the moment. I'm rather embarrassed by the whole thing. ...not as embarrassed as I am for people switching their avatars to rebel flags in protest, but pretty embarrassed. :cripes:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
^^^ :psyduck: It just keeps getting worse!

Kavak posted:

In other news, what the gently caress is this: [Insane ramblings of wyK1NG-]

Tomn posted:

Sounds like the guy who made the Indiegogo project - there's a similar tone of "I knew all along you guys were fuckups, you were dead without my brilliant leadership!"

It probably is, y'all ain't the only ones who suspected that. If this is the same guy, he's looking at a lawsuit.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Navigate yourself to the IndieGoGo page. Now scroll down to the "Who we are" section. Under "Alexander" you will find a link to the site http://www.onvictory.com

Click it, and take your first step into an exciting new world where success, sexual domination, quantum mechanics and God are all one.

(This guy is like someone took the entire population of the Pdox forums, compressed them into one superdense proto-Hitler and got them all hosed up on hallucinogens. He makes Ubik look like a perfectly reasonable and sane individual.)

:stare:

Okay, so like, he was supposedly all nice and smiles with people on the team, even getting his photo taken with paradox heads (taken by Lennart Berg of BL Logic), but if this is all the same guy he was fired for scamming money from us/paradox (can't go into detail, but it would have gotten worse had he not been caught). He then makes an indiegogo the day of the cancellation to scam other folks out of money, and then he has all these crazy "theories" too? drat.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Dibujante posted:

There's a East v West cancellation megathread awaiting you for whenever that NDA drops.

Do you mean here on SA (if so, linkie?) or on the paradox forums? Given the last legs of internal chatter, multiple devs were planning to do a tell all when their NDAs expire, which may or may not come at different times depending on how they're worded.

Tomn posted:

In further fairness, he apparently wrote these books after getting fired from from BL-Logic, and at least one of his books is possibly close to sane, even if it's likely cocky and might not provide good advice. We may be looking at one man's descent into madness after being fired and unemployed and spending too much time thinking about nothing.

Could be, most folks I talked to said he was a really nice guy. But then that's how scam artists work usually. The money he stole could have been used to "kickstart" these projects. This is all personal speculation as I only know of the internal scam. The events happening now are news to me too.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
The things about Superpower 2 that I remember while playing was:

As China, it's super easy to world conquest, but you need to do it carefully. Spend several years just taxing a bunch on everything and building a giant army. Then invade Russia or the US. Take both down eventually and the world is your oyster. You can build enough tanks and troops that you just win any conflict.

But there's some weird mechanics too, including a very odd design choice. If I recall right, you right click units and tell them to occupy the country the country will unleash all nukes on you. But if you were to take all of the mainland US one piece at a time manually they wouldn't likely nuke you at all, and if you demand nothing else but mainland US I believe you get less of a relations hit with the world than if you annexed them.

As I recall, there's some mod out there that adds an invisible country that just buys everything on the market so as to make market specializations viable-ish (for role play anyway) and prevent mid-late game market crashes. Which means specializations in drugs (the normally illegal kind) is a real thing and you could be the sole world supplier. Viva Columbia! :drugnerd:

Edit:
I forgot one fun thing for a moment. Post world conquest, ban all religions but "other", and make it your official religion. I can't imagine how that would work in real life...
"We must all convene in the church of whatever you want to worship but what's on the list, please rise as I recite all the faiths we do not accept in this holy house of something."

It's not a good game though, don't buy it unless it's a buck and you wanna waste an afternoon.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 30, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
This whole leak thing was kind of expected. A lot of people got burned so I was just waiting for someone to post it. And no, it wasn't me.

As for development, what I guess I could say is that lots of things were being tweaked to the end of the alpha. Beta testing would have probably caught many of the weirdest of oddities and fixed AI issues.

...I was never a fan of the ship part though, but it wasn't my department. :shrug:

Oh, and whatever that We Are The World mod is, it was probably removing all those folks I added. Several team members were highly vocal about not having any fictional ministers whatsoever despite any issues that would cause.

I'm not even sure what I can talk about any more, so I'm playing it safe. Discover what you will, I can't talk about much or anything really. :(

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 17, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Quite the opposite! It's all the flavor events for the We Are The World characters that won-- for example, WATW-DDR.txt has
code:
#170980	- The Rise of Zieschang - We are the world event 
#170981	- A Friendly Visit - We are the world event 
#170982	- Establish the Guards - We are the world event 
#170983	- Monument in your honor - We are the world event 
#170984	- The Rise of Fredrick Holst - We are the world event 
#170985	- New Prussia - We are the world event 
#170986	- Establish the Guards - We are the world event 
#170987	- Monument in your honor - We are the world event 
There's only four of those event files, though, just for the DDR, UAE, Canada and Ecuador.

Ohhhh, right, that makes sense then! Someone else handled the events for that stuff.
And-

Gorgo Primus posted:

Even in the leak Padre Groggo gets screwed over... :(

Looks like someone wasn't doing their job there. To be fair, those were non-critical events.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Just gonna put this out there, but the more I hear about the leaked version, the more it doesn't seem to match with what we were doing at the end of it's development. So it sounds like it was a slightly earlier version, but I can't be sure.

It certainly wasn't a polished, finished product that worked perfectly (it was going into beta after all), but certain things were definitely improved and these reports don't match up at all with what other devs were talking about and seeing in their testing in its last few days. Water under the bridge now though.

Edit: I'd specify what was working and what wasn't, but it's the NDA. Even leaked, pretty sure I'm still under that obligation.
Edit2: Not that I'm trying to defend it left and right, just saying I don't think this was the latest build. :shrug:

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 18, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

YF-23 posted:

It most likely is the lastest build; the game executable's date last modifier metadata is 6/March/2014, which is also the date of the cancellation.

Ah, I guess the work being done was on the computer's of some higher up folks and not added to the main build. Whatever progress they made is lost to the ether now. :(

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Windows considers the program to be "Not Responding." I'll try letting it run for a long-rear end, time, though, maybe that's all it is.

I usually took a shower or had lunch or something. Took about 20 minutes on it sometimes, but that was with a slower computer than what I now have. It only has to do that once though, thank god.

I doubt its starting processes were optimized at the time given how long it took, even with a fuckton of provinces.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Ethiser posted:

So what's the best strategy for USCA in Victoria 2? They seem to start out in a pretty bad spot. Should I ally with America and just use them to steal some Mexican states?

I had an oddly mega-powerful game as them once before. Pretty much early game is what folks here recommend, but I managed to somehow bungle several moves (namely taking panama off a Columbia with allies).

If you attack Mexico shortly after the US beat down, you might be able to push your military tech fast enough and careful enough to take them out repeatedly. They have some useful provinces for natural resources near to you if you just keep snatching them away over pretty borders (I eventually just replaced Mexico with targeting their most valuable places first).

The only thing I would recommend outside of what others suggested is if you get strong enough, consider taking Cuba from Spain. If the US is powerful enough, ally with them and use them to take away the Caribbean from the Europeans. If you can take out a mid-strength Mexico, you can usually handle Spain. A strong US ally can defend against other European powers for the rest of the area too and can act as your naval defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

bUm posted:

Simplification wouldn't hurt either. The rare occasions I feel it's necessary to edit saves are frustrating because Notepad struggles to run them (and WordPad struggles more; Word just crashes). Is there something better for editing them? (Keeping in mind that some changes are not ones the community-made editors are capable of.)

YES.
Notepad++.
Get it, it's what professionals even use (my old job made sure every computer for web development had notepad++ installed at a minimum).

You can do some great things with it including: find/replace things across multiple files at once, regular expressions (which allow you to, say, find any instance that starts with X and ends with Y with anything in between and replace that, or insert newlines, etc), and more.

It also doesn't struggle like notepad to open large files and it won't mess with formatting like word or wordpad will.

Also convenient? Spellcheck!

Edit: I've used it to create bizarro worlds from save files before, including switching all civilized/uncivilized countries in Victoria 2, Rearranging religions in EU3/4, and more. And it didn't take long at all. Could even be faster than trying to figure out how to create a scenario file.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 16, 2014

• Locked thread