Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

A Violence Gang posted:

Ugh I got halfway through my first Sweden game and just now figured out 1) that the +/- 200 relations scale, 0-100 influence scale and friendly/cordial/neutral opinion scale are three different but related things and 2) how to use priority to actually gain influence where you want in a reasonable amount of time. Now that makes me want to start a new game. I suppose that's an excuse to buy HoD.

The economy is still inscrutable -- I don't suppose there's some key piece of knowledge to make sense of it like the above does for diplomacy? I understand the basics of industrializing and achieved more-or-less solvency in the grand scheme of things, but still faced pretty big fluctuations from day to day and month to month and I feel like there's simultaneously too much and not enough information to figure out why.

The lack of long term statistics for your economy is one of the most frustrating things about Victoria 2. It really is a drat mess, you just kinda end up building stuff and hoping it works out most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

L0VE posted:

After reading the AAR on the Paradox forums showing off Byzantium I have to say it really crushed a lot of my anticipation of the game. I realize that it's a powergamer abusing the AI to the fullest, but it really felt like he was just cruising through things because he just couldn't lose even if he tried. It only took him a few years from what should be a doomed start to eclipse the Ottomans. But what really got to me was when I finally saw him facing some form of adversity, when he had to fight the coalition of Austria, Ottomans, Hungary, Nepal AND Venice. He admits this is too much even for him and he's going to have to sign an unfavorable peace deal as soon as possible but...

As it turns out that "unfavourable" deal means only reaching a 41% POSITIVE warscore and taking 2 counties and a bunch of cash. I suppose he did have Mamluks helping him out and this is an old beta version and he is exploiting the AI somewhat - but even so it feels to me like as a player you're gonna be required to hold back to give the AI a fair chance.

Kinda wish they would have showcased the game in a different light than just being "Go to war, if truce, wait for manpower then go to war".

Pfft, beating the Ottomans as Byzantium is nothing. Try reading the Victoria 2 Krakow World Conquest AAR if you wanna see some crazy poo poo.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

fspades posted:

That said, I agree blockading the Bosphorus is some obvious ahistorical bullshit. Ottomans had this and eventually this to counter exactly that.

Oh, that's interesting. Reading the AAR I was wondering why they didn't just do that in real life. Maybe they need to add some sort of special building to protect straits...

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Leb posted:

Third step: devise a revolt mechanic that is a bit less exciting. Sometimes I find that I'm simply having too much fun drawing up the realm's levies to crush one of six concurrent peasant revolts, all of which were doomed from the moment of their inception. Furthermore, I think the rebel AI needs to be tweaked to make them more effective at evading your armies. As it is, you can usually catch them after 2 or 3 attempts, but it would be far more fun if they always managed to stay a step ahead of you and you had to chase them all the way across the map, with their armies taunting you mercilessly all the while.

Thank God the ping-pong BS is gone in EU4.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Leb posted:

God, you just can't stay mad at these magnificent bastards.

Which is especially relevant considering that even Fiarxis strategy games have veered hard towards removing both complication AND complexity.

I think Paradox is the only developer I believe when they say they want to make games more accessible without dumbing them down. In particular their interfaces are getting a lot better.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you were a real pedant then you'd realize that true automation would allow for there to be no user input. :colbert: It's also an interface issue so I doubt there's a one or the other choice to be had where they're figuring out if they'd rather work on gameplay balance versus a more convenient interface. Anyways it was just a niggling issue as you say, I wasn't making a big deal out of it. If they don't ever address it, I'll still really enjoy the game quite a bit.

You are in fact correct and there are a bunch of popups in CK2, like the education and siege ones, that you should be able to disable or automate in some way.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
EU4 demo is on steam! It works! Go download!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236850/

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Fintilgin posted:

Played a round as Portugal, and it seemed pretty good. I really like the monarch power system.

I don't really feel like I 'get' trade yet, though. There are a lot of numbers and I'm sort of scratching my head about what exactly I should be doing with my merchants/ships. Also, no trade flows in to the Mediterranean, so if I were playing as a colonial Venice/Italy I could never steer New World trade back to my country, right?

As far as I can tell that's correct. New World trade's endpoint is Antwerpen.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

unwantedplatypus posted:

However, if you were to get a significant amount of power in the Seville trade node, you could steer it there. There's also a new world route that goes through the gold coast/Timbuktu and into Europe.

Yup. New World Trade flows to Seville, Bordeaux, London and the North Sea, so those are the first stops in Europe. After that it gets passed around but it all ends up in Antwerpen. You can also steer trade from Mexico to Japan.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
As for what to do with your ships and merchants, well, whatever gives you the most money really. You can either do the math or just shift things around and see what earns the most.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Anyone know if there's an autorepair feature or something for patrol fleets? I think trade fleets autorepair, that's what I saw in the quill18 vid, but its annoying that you can just set and forget a pirate patrol fleet.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
From what I can tell the key to trade is to ask yourself what's the real value I can extract from these nodes. For example, if you have nodes a which feeds into b, and you have 50% trade power in both when collecting, and 75% power in a when forwarding, you should probably just collect in a because otherwise you're getting a little over half of 75%. So really it completely depends on a bunch of stuff.

As for where it's best to increase your trade power with ships and such, it depends on the value of each point of trade power. For example, in a node worth 10d, and the total amount of trade power is 100, each point is worth 0.1d. So you would send your ships to this trade node if the alternative was one that was say, worth 15d but had 200 points of trade power total in it already.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Darkrenown posted:

If you start/end your patrols in a port they should stop to repair each time they pass through if they need it. Also, one of the naval ideas, or maybe the group finisher, lets your fleets repair at sea.

Oh dang I should have tried that. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Anyone else think the trade interface needs some serious work? Why is there no way to see, for example, where sending your light ships to will yield the most profit? Should be easy for the game to calculate that and display it.

• Locked thread