Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DrProsek posted:

I don't remember seeing this in any EUIV dev diary, but will there be multiple flags for each country like in V2? Like a Monarchy flag and a separate Republic flag? It seems like the transition from Monarchy to Republic will be a more significant event in EUIV than in EUIII and different flags for the same tag would make it easier to do things like have Revolutionary Scandinavia in your game if that ends up happening instead of Revolutionary France.

By God, I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I hate it when it's obvious the EUIII AI has hit some code thing that makes it refuse to make peace under any circumstances. Like you hold one French core and they attack, and you make a peace offer that gives them the core, a dozen other provinces, releases all your vassals, makes every nation internal to you independent, and hands them 10,000 ducats, worth hundreds and hundreds of war score and they still refuse. Then you beat the poo poo out of their army and they're begging for white peace six months later. Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, AI.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Coolodile posted:

Please add this educational video to the Hearts of Iron 3 segment of the OP.

They should hire that guy to do all their promotional trailers.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

Goddamn. I was incredibly excited about it, but pre-ordering wasn't really a thing I did at the time, so I was actually warned off it by an unfortunate friend who did pre-order it.

I remember weeks and weeks of the True Believers continuing to insist that if you could just get over the 'Learning Cliff', MOO3 was an amazing game. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alchenar posted:

I've actually had long conversations with Darkrenown on HOI3 where he managed to change my mind from 'HOI3 is terrible' to 'HOI3 suffers from a number of design decisions which I would not have made and which negatively impact the experience, but is overall a somewhat interesting game right up until you try to launch Barbarossa, at which point all fun suffers from death by micromanagment'.

Key problems with that are:

1) The game should sell itself, it shouldn't need a Dev to sell it.

2) For a WW2 game the signature land campaign shouldn't be the lowest point of the user experience.

3) Automation is supposed to be a tool to allow the player to focus on the fun bits of the game, not replace the fun bits of the game.

I'll actually be really curious what tack they tack with HOI4. If it doubles down on the crazy province count/complexity/automation, or takes a step back towards the simpler HOI2.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Patter Song posted:

So, something about Steppe Wolfe that I can't exactly discuss in my thread, but thought that the Paradox devs might be interested in. The Steppe Wolfe mod attempts to upload a soundtrack from a completely different game and put it into the mod Music folder in an apparent attempt to get it to play during EU3. This doesn't work for some reason: the soundtrack stays the same. I noticed that this Knights of Honor game is also published by Paradox and I was wondering if it's acceptable practice to steal another game's soundtrack and try to use that in a mod. :v: (I'm assuming that the only reason this hasn't been brought to light before is that the music utterly fails to make it into the actual game)

Was Steppe Wolfe the mod they tried to release as a 'stand alone' mod? I.e they included the .exe and the entire game, and seemed baffled any one objected because it was a 'stand alone mod.' Or was that some other crazy mod that used the V2 map?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Quantumfate posted:

Different subject though, have we heard anything about the music they're doing for EU IV? I'm genuinely curious to see what direction they take it because I loved some of the tunes in ck2 and eu2 had the perfect soundtrack for this game. Ideally I'd like to see paradox code in a different soundtrack for different eras, reneissance music for 1400-1500, baroque for 1600-1700, classical for 1700-1800 etc. One of the fondest memories I have from eu2 is waging a napoleonic period battle as bohemia with vivaldi's summer blaring and making me cry because I couldn't micromanage fast enough for the music.

The nice thing about the new music engine from CK2 is that it will be really really easy to replicate the EUII style of having different era sound tracks.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Narrator posted:

This is just a nightmare, right? Or the fevered ramblings of madmen?

Speaking of which...

Lietuva in 1.09 is wet dream of Putin

Lietuva is Lithuanian word for my homeland in Pope's bules called Lituae in old ruthenian Litva, in old german Lettowen, all scientists agree that all forms come from lithuanian word of Lietuva or Lētuvā. So all Lithuanian lands should be called Lietuva. Big part of XX century lowland Lithunia (ˇemaitija or Samogitia) was called by name of Lithuania by our enemies - first by Poland, then by russians. Now Kremlin's "historians" state that Lithuania was only nowdays Samogitia, and prusians were some sort of russians (iskonno ruskie zemli) - so no Baltic tribes existed, only small band of Zhmuds... Is bad enough to see our coat of arms in ruthenian hands - no ruthenian dukes held this coat of arms, only lithuanians dukes (I agree that our grand dukes only after aquired big teritories in the east started to use Vytis as their coat of arms and in first it was depiction of grand duke himself) and big part of Lithuania is in Masovian hands. Please don't make Lietuva as small as nowdays Samogitia. This land could be called "Samogitia proper" or something... in lithuanian it was ˇemaitijos Seniūnija (latin: Capitaneatus Samogitiae, polish:Starostwo Żmudzkie).

:siren: ALL SCIENTISTS AGREE :siren:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

V for Vegas posted:

Wiz you've been at paradox for like a whole week now. Why aren't there any cheesy youtube clips of you talking about Rome 2 in front of a wallpaper bookshelf :colbert:

He's already been assigned to HOI4. :negative:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Cantorsdust posted:

Over 200,000 provinces!

Determine kit and loadout for each individual soldier in your entire army. Reload their guns manually during combat or assign it to an automated AI assistant.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

enigma74 posted:

Track their individual thirst and hunger levels!

PVT T. Hofman is starving!
PVT G. Shulz is starving!
PVT R. Schneider is hungry!
PVT C. Müller is hungry!
PVT F. Herrmann has starved to death!

CLICK HERE TO DELIVER SAUERKRAUT TO 5TH COMPANY
:effort:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baloogan posted:

I would play this game.

KITCHEN COMMANDO: UNSUNG HEROES OF WWII

Kickstarting this now

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

gradenko_2000 posted:

So basically this, the PC game.

Wasn't this the game that had an optional (probably tongue in cheek) rule to account for Italians needing increased water supplies for boiling pasta?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gorgo Primus posted:

I'm so sick and tired of you guys badmouthing HOI4! You don't have to set troop breathing to automated to play; you just have to pause every other second to go through the chain of command and remind them to breath in new oxygen and exhale CO2. Personally I find it the immerse challenge rather fun. :colbert:

The nice thing is, the more enemy soldiers you kill the less processor cycles that need to be dedicated to their breathing, and the faster the game runs! I'm finding my late game speeds in HOI4 are significantly faster then the early years, which is the exact opposite of my experience with most Paradox titles.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I like that there's apparently a modifier for having fought 'to the end' of a war instead of bailing out with a white peace.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

All I can say at the moment is bear in mind these are alpha screenshots, don't take specific values in tooltips as gospel. The screenshot was more to show how the UI looks than to give you the exact mechanics of how it works.

It might help to break up that tooltip a bit, so if you conquered Alexandria, Mecca, and Libya as France you might, when looking at Egypt see:

Infidel holding our co-religionist provinces (Alexandria, Mecca, Libya) - 30
You have conquered our core province (Alexandria) -50
You have conquered a province of our culture (Alexandria) - 30
You have conquered a province on our border (Libya) -10
You have conquered a province of our friend (Hejaz - Mecca) -20
Total -140

That would be a lot more informative then just 'Aggressive Expansion' -140

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

SeaTard posted:

That would be really nice right up until you've captured a dozen provinces and have a giant spew of lines that occupy the full screen. If there was a way to have it show the expanded information when it's only a few modifiers, and a more condensed one when there are a ton of modifiers that would be perfect.

Yeah, I guess you could replace the province names with a number of provinces instead, so (3) or (1) or whatever. I imagine the player can figure out which is which on their own in 99% of cases.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I tend to find the combat to be the least interesting part of Paradox games, so I find it hard to work up any enthusiasm for March of the Eagles. I'd probably be really interested if it was a global game covering the Age of Revolutions from like, I dunno, 1750-1836, with a dynamic 'French' Revolution able to happen to other European countries, revolutions in the Americas, some form of social modelling etc. But a scripted Napoleonic war scenario?

Meh. :geno:

EDIT: Of course, I also think the Hearts of Iron franchise should have been a game covering 1901-2001 and be way less war focused, allowing for alternate WW2s and Cold Wars, etc.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 20, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
There's no way in EUIII to turn off the monthly $CASH!!$ noise, but leave one at the beginning of the year? My computer runs vanilla fast enough that the game sounds like:
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Any suggestions for EUIII maps with no PTI? Ideally it would be something that added nothing except new provinces. I thought it would be fun to try something a little different. I'd love to play on the Victoria 2 map, I don't suppose anyone has tried stripping out as much of the crazy as possible from Steppe wolfe and left just the V2 map?

Right now I'm thinking of giving the 'States' mod a go, as it gets rid of all the PTI with a minimum of bullshit, and lets you play in a vanilla world without adding all 50 states as countries. If you boot the 50 states scenario though, this gem pops up, which made me chortle.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ThePutty posted:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...76b9dbd5ead03b7

So the colonization horde system is making a comeback in EUIV. :suicide:

Snake Bohemia will never die!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I really hope they do more with colonization for EUIV, it's one of the areas of the game that really needs some more fleshing out/unique mechanics, more interaction with natives.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Cycloneman posted:

Who do you plan to play as first when you get EU4? I'm going to play as the Inca and die horribly to the brutality of racist Swedes making it impossible for me to win. What about y'all?

England, probably. Nice easy mode to learn the ropes/what's changed.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I want to argue with Paradox about how CK2 style monarch faces are awesome and should be in EUIV and beat them about the head with my amazing and compelling arguments until they give in.

:smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ray and Shirley posted:

Oh man, I'd get behind this one. I'd back you up right until you got probated too.

It'd be worth a goddamn ban. :toxx:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gorgo Primus posted:

Which really did only deal with Europe:

But seeing as how EU3 deals with the entire world, it can't even lean back on its 'origins' as an excuse to not do its best to accurately deal with everyone outside of Europe - not that I can ever recall PI itself ever making the dumb "name argument".

Oh no. Europa Universalis the board game had two maps, if I remember correctly. A Europe map and a 'Rest of the World' map. I have a copy in the basement I can haul up if need be.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tomn posted:

How DOES the actual board game play, incidentally?

Search me! Mine's unpunched. I bought it mostly as a curiosity, out of love for EUII, and the lack of a gaming club (don't think it would be to my wife's taste), the impenetrable translated from French manual, and the fact that I had a vastly fancier version with AI on my computer kept me from doing anything other then looking at it.

In fact, I've pretty much stopped buying board wargames entirely, because I never actually get to playing them anymore, and I realized that I was really just sort of... collecting them. :smith:

EDIT: I assume some of the Paradox guys (Johan?) MUST have played it, because they like it enough to make the computer adaptation.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Nolanar posted:

Not to mention, if the rumors of expanding CK2 backward in time for the Viking DLC are true, they could use the sequel to move EU:Rome's end date forward, so you could actually run an unbroken campaign from whatever BC through to the end of the Cold War (eventually).

You'd have to move the end date of Rome forward longer then the entire period covered by the game. You'd really have to have some sort of 'Dark Ages' bridge game. I had sort of hoped that the Paradox AGEOD union would result in an updated version of 'Great Invasions', which was a total mess but had some cool ideas.

I don't know if Paradox isn't interested in a Dark Ages game or if they just think the period is too tricky to cover, but I'm not really counting on getting one.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Maybe instead of having a mechanism where you 'sphere' a country and get all the resources, there could be a system where you 'invest' cash/diplomacy in a foreign STATE and get the resources of that state only. So France might have invested and gotten a monopoly in Guangdong and Britain has Jangsu and Anhui. You could use this everywhere, so instead of one Great Power saying "YOINK! I'll take Brazil" you'd be investing in particular Brazilian provinces that had the resources you wanted, and countries could be divided by different powers. A little more granular and less winner takes all.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dibujante posted:

You should play Imperialism II. It still has a special place in my heart for really effectively gameplay-ifying imperialism. Translating Imperialism II's notions to V2 would be a major change, but it would allow for some pretty neat things, like:
* Building railroads / building factories / expanding RGOs in individual provinces.
* Getting a share of the sale price of any resources produced by anything owned by an "investor" power.
* Using built-up influence with the target country to lock competitors out of invidual provinces / states.
* Eventually building up to a full lock-out of others (full sphering) as a kind of "win" condition.

This should include some related abilities, like the ability to force other powers to give up some of their lock-ins (or transfer them to you) as peace terms. Imperialism should be profitable enough to make powers want to do this.

edit: I want this to be the imperialism system for the entire world, not just China, honestly. Of course, you can always conquer, but then you have to front way more upfront costs and may not get as much out of it, depending on local situations.

I used to play the first Imperialism, back in the day. If I remember it correctly, seems like Victoria borrowed a lot of ideas from it. I could never seem to get very far though, the Congress of Nations would always show up after a decade or so and end the game prematurely. I seem to remember never being able to play more than a couple decades. Was there a way to turn that 'feature' off?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dibujante posted:

I liked the sequel a lot more, honestly. The thing that really turned me on to the sequel was that, at first, the game seemed like a straight-forward "save money and build things with it" game. You have a bunch of raw resources in Europe, and you spend those to make depots and roads to connect more resources to your network, which you then spend to make more and better roads and depots (and more soldiers), etc. However, once you discover the new world, you realize that you can conquer or colonize it to leapfrog your economic grind to the top and outpace your neighbours. Suddenly, everyone in Europe is fighting over the new world because of its implications for the old world. It just made a ton of sense.

I have a copy of II somewhere. Tried it out for a few minutes ages ago and couldn't get into it. I need to give it another try. Really in the mood for something like that.

FAKE EDIT: Nice, it's on GOG.

REAL EDIT: I wish there was a 'Turn-based Paradox' company out there that still made sweet old strategy games like this, Colonization, Merchant Prince, etc. :smith: x1000

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 31, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dibujante posted:

You should play Imperialism II. It still has a special place in my heart for really effectively gameplay-ifying imperialism. Translating Imperialism II's notions to V2 would be a major change, but it would allow for some pretty neat things, like:

Okay, I'm playing this now. I feel kind of dumb though. There MUST be some screen in the game where I can see HOW MUCH of each resource I'm gathering each turn, but I'll be damned if I can find it. I can see my stocks just fine, but not how much I'm producing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tomn posted:

Check the Transport tab? It only shows resources connected to your transport hub, but those are the only things that'll be going into your stockpile anyways.

Yep! That's what I was looking for. Thanks! :)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh yeah I wasn't implying that my every-Communist-country-turns-red idea was a suggestion for an official change, just thinking out loud for modding potential. Near-black/dark-red for Nazi Germany sounds interesting as well, though.

Communist America should probably turn red too though, just for the fun of it.

Also, it IS pretty funny wallpaper, and you guys are the ones choosing to showcase it repeatedly. It's like something from a comedy sketch, with the fancy stuffed armchair and painted books. :shobon:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

It is a funny wallpaper, the whole room is kind of cute, but saying that a silly wallpaper somehow implies something about the quality of Paradox games is... something else.

Well, sure.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Cowcatcher posted:

Google is using the same wallpaper in its Library Cafe in Zurich. I guess it's a statement on devs not reading any paper books?

It's like having a video game texture for a real wall. If The Old Gods sells well, Paradox is going to upgrade and get bump mapping.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

post="412170122" posted:

[...]restoring ancient empires such as Rome and Alexander the Great - Macedonia (thought for history accuracy ancient Macedonians in the game are from Illiric culture, not Greek).

Patch notes 1.34:
* Corrected Jesus Christ's culture to Bulgarian

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

NihilCredo posted:

Whole World Mod would be exactly what you want, it adds a bunch of provinces and countries outside of Europe without messing too much with the gameplay, but unfortunately it hasn't been updated in a year and a half and it's effectively dead :(

I also heard good things about Terra Nova, and it's updated for 5.2 beta (though that will be the last version apparently) but I haven't tried it myself. I'd suggest you check that out.

MEIOU is another option, but it's a complete overhaul mod full of little changes everywhere so might not be a great choice for a new player.

There's also this:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?614446-%28MOD%29-States-Mod

Which is based off CanOsmer's great map revision and then adds provinces for the rest of the world to remove the Wasteland. The 'base' scenario includes a country for each of the 50 states in the USA, but there's also a scenario that is just vanilla EU3 and doesn't include them. Of the (small number) of working whole world maps I like this one best.

I wish someone would adapt the V2 map as just a map, without adding mountains of crazy like Steppewolfe.

EDIT: My big problem with Terra Universalis http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?387387-Terra-Universalis-mod-%28no-PTI%29 is that it adds so many tags it slows my game waaaaaaay down. I may try removing a bunch and seeing if that helps.

EDIT EDIT: Hell yes it does. Going to have to do some culling and maybe some scenario editing to make a lite version of this mod so it a little more playable on my machine.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 4, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Graham Gremlin posted:

I agree with the people who've said this period would be very difficult to model in a Paradox game though and as much as I'd like to be able to run a game from the Roman Republic through to the end of the Cold War in the Clausewitz engine, I don't see it happening.

I've always been tempted to do 'Gibbon's Fantasy' and just hand wave it and say ooohhh, Christianity never arises, the classical world never 'falls', start with Wiz's mod for Rome and transfer it directly into CKII. So you've got Carthaginians and Celtic Gaul etc. Probably easier after the Old Gods comes out and you have some pagan mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Graham Gremlin posted:

I just can't think of a way to model a bunch of Germanic tribes wandering around the map in a way that's easily presented to the player and actually enjoyable to play.

I was thinking they spawn like the Mongols, as provinceless armies, and then they march around the map raiding provinces for something like Glory and Gold. They could have a different icon from just a soldier, like a little horde or people. They'd basically be migratory pop units. Once they get a certain amount of Gold and Glory they could seize adjacent provinces and become a 'settled' people. Maybe each migratory army unit/horde could seize one province, so the more of them that were killed off while migrating the less land they'd ultimately seize, whereas the more successful they were the more land.

Settled people could still get uprooted and become migrant again, but if you were settled long enough, you'd become 'civilized' like the Byzantines and stuck in place for good.

• Locked thread