Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Even my tail feathers concur.

AMReese posted:

I almost thought you'd be doing what I did, and start the quest with Augustine.

Oh I get the feeling that yokaiy is saving them for something very special. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Geddoe is totally giving the eye to Jeane there.

Well, the only eye he has.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

yokaiy posted:

:sbahj: Geddoe is angry! Which is an emotion! Wow.

Of course! She forced him to do work, after all.

also damnit guillame you are creepier than sid

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

CmdrKing posted:

Basically, when one character recruits, only that character can add the recruit to their party. However, they'll still appear at budehuc and do any functions there that they have.

I'm a little surprised yokaiy got Nei at this point actually. Geddoe's team is pretty much set for most of the game (that is, you can't kick anyone out of the party), so getting Nei, Toppo, and Shabon with him means they're not accessible as party members for now. Granted, Toppo sucks and the other two need quite a lot of skill building to really shine, but anyway.

I'd normally pick them up with Thomas, in part because Thomas is actually threatened by GUilamme's duel here and humiliating him with loss to a hobbit makes me happy. But also because I like doing all recruitment possible with him out of habit.

If you really wanted a bujutsu teacher at this point, one is automatically at Budehuc (we didn't see him, but he's there). But if memory serves that's the only one Geddoe has once Karaya burns.

I got Nei's gang mostly out of convenience. We were in Vinay anyway, and I'd feel really bad leaving Shabon to get chased around by Guillaume indefinitely though we were right there. They're not really that good anyway, so it's no big loss. Also, now I have access to music tracks instead of having to track them down on youtube. :toot:

We saw Juan already, but only for a moment. No worries, it's not a spoiler.

AMReese posted:

I almost thought you'd be doing what I did, and start the quest with Augustine.

Funny thing is, I utilize the speed-up function of PCSX2, and sometimes it has trouble reversing it, so the emotes he gives when sped up are pretty funny. Try it sometime.

Also, I would like to agree to a previous LP thread post of this game (TWD's) that imagines Guillaume talking like Frank Nelson ("EEEE-yesssssss?"). I cannot not hear him like that now.

I'm also waiting until near the end to play Thomas, for the aforementioned "give Thomas as much business as possible" idea.

I like to save that one for Thomas, because he/she is a champ. Additionally, I like to do Thomas on the same time-frame as everyone else, because it makes the story flow better. So his chapter 1 will be once we're done Geddoe's, and his chapter 2 will be amongst the other chapter 2s. It's easier to get his stuff done later, yes, but it wouldn't work as cohesively for a LP. They're also not that bad, even if you don't wait.

Verbose posted:

Geddoe is totally giving the eye to Jeane there.

Well, the only eye he has.

:wiggle:?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

vilkacis posted:

Holy hell, that salt is expensive! Looks like Frey's hoarding has led to a world wide shortage.

A worldwide shortage that lasted nearly 30 years.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

yokaiy posted:

I got Nei's gang mostly out of convenience. We were in Vinay anyway, and I'd feel really bad leaving Shabon to get chased around by Guillaume indefinitely though we were right there. They're not really that good anyway, so it's no big loss. Also, now I have access to music tracks instead of having to track them down on youtube. :toot:

In my experience Nei's actually incredibly good when paired with a good melee character. Like getting 8/10th out of tough boss's HP off in 2 actions good.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Can you at least promise to provide a gif of both of Augustine's emotes, both at normal speed and sped up? It is the thing of legend.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

quote:

"Which of the following phrases is not possible?"
:
>"I raise wild boar."
>"My piranha is a vegetarian."
>"I ate some cactus for dinner."

: "Which of the following cannot fly?"
:
>"A duck."
>"A winghorde."
>"A dragon."
I'm missing something here. What's the logic behind the right answer?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

First one is a grammar/pluralization check rather than a plausibility check, I think; the reason the correct answer is not possible is because it would be "some cacti".

And in the Suikoden universe, ducks are humanoids rather than, well, actual ducks, and while the latter can fly, the former cannot.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Vil posted:

First one is a grammar/pluralization check rather than a plausibility check, I think; the reason the correct answer is not possible is because it would be "some cacti".

And in the Suikoden universe, ducks are humanoids rather than, well, actual ducks, and while the latter can fly, the former cannot.

But there are various species of cactus, so "some cactus" could be referring to cactus as a food category instead. So it's still okay if you change your perspective! :v: Probably not very healthy, though; I dunno how many of those cactus species are edible.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
A pirannha cannot be a vegetarian!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can make jelly out of prickly pear fruit, I know that. And if you're stranded in the desert you can eat cactus for its water content. And "cactus" is a perfectly acceptable plural form of the word. So who knows what the logic is. gently caress Ernie.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Hmm... maybe all three of the answers work for that question, and the FAQ authors just crib off each other and don't actually bother checking the other two? In terms of plausibility, all three are about equally nonsensical.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My bet is that it was a Friday afternoon at the translator's office when they got to that section of the script.

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011

Vil posted:

Hmm... maybe all three of the answers work for that question, and the FAQ authors just crib off each other and don't actually bother checking the other two? In terms of plausibility, all three are about equally nonsensical.

I know the piranha answer is wrong because I picked that one the last time I played.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Yeah, that one always throws me for a loop. I usually pick the piranha answer, and then Ernie gets mad. :sigh: I'm really not sure what the logic is for that one. gently caress Ernie, I guess.

As for the flying question, I can only assume that it refers to duck kobolds, who don't fly. Winged horde, which is what I think the "winghorde" is supposed to be but translation how do, is another race in Suikoden, usually called "Wingers." They have wings, if you couldn't guess from the name, and they can fly. And then there's dragons. We've seen one as an enemy already, and they've been in the previous games as well. And they fly. The question is deceptively lore-oriented.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

My bet is that it was a Friday afternoon at the translator's office when they got to that section of the script.

I'd go with this; the original question was 'Which of these is wrong - giving feed to a boar, giving feed to a piranha, giving feed to a cactus' except the word used is specific to animal feed and definitely not something you'd give a plant. I mean they had to change it since there isn't really an 'animal feed' word in English but it seems like they went a bit too far.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Vegetarian piranha does exist. It's known as Pacu and live in South America. You can also buy them for your aquarium.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Guillaume is Herbert from Family Guy, back in his younger days.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pfefferbao posted:

Vegetarian piranha does exist. It's known as Pacu and live in South America. You can also buy them for your aquarium.

Fish with molars is CREEPY! I don't know what I thought fish did for teeth, but a jaw like that is not what I imagined.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Pfefferbao posted:

:gonk:

That is going to haunt me in all of my nightmares from now on. Thanks for that.

Well, at least now we know why the piranha answer isn't correct!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pfefferbao posted:

They're also infamous for having killed multiple fishermen by biting their testes off.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
In other words, don't swim in South America. Gotcha.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One was found recently in a lake in Illinois. Nowhere is safe :getin:

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Pfefferbao posted:

Hey, at least Pacu taste good apparently. If it weren't for the fact they were overfished nowadays, I'd imagine you'd see them more in South American markets.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I really wish that Pacu picture was photoshopped. It's not, but I really, really wish it was.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Veyrall posted:

I really wish that Pacu picture was photoshopped. It's not, but I really, really wish it was.

It may well have been edited... for beauty, like airbrushing a slight blemish or beauty mark.

The slight blemish in this case is multiple rows of human teeth.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Wonder how many times a clever kid could trick the tooth fairy

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I'm going to take this opportunity to attempt to hate you to death. This thread has degenerated into horrid fish pictures and it really needs a new topic for discussion.

So, how bout them Grasslanders. All grassy and landish.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GOOD LORD can we change the subject back to this game? These kind of images are acceptable only for a Silent Hill thread! Yowza.

To re-rail the derail: Does Peggi leap about in his stall if you don't give him the "shiny, shiny hammer?" I have these crazy memories of him doing so.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah this game doesn't have fishmen problems, that's Tactics.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's a cool fish.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013

Veyrall posted:

This thread has degenerated into horrid fish pictures and it really needs a new topic for discussion.

So, how bout them Grasslanders. All grassy and landish.

I can get behind this. Personally I've always found the Karayan design to be fairly interesting. It's quite distinct with the whole tribal design combined with predominantly dark skinned blondes. I don't believe I've ever seen a similar aesthetic used in any other works which I find to be a real shame.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Speedball posted:

GOOD LORD can we change the subject back to this game? These kind of images are acceptable only for a Silent Hill thread! Yowza.

To re-rail the derail: Does Peggi leap about in his stall if you don't give him the "shiny, shiny hammer?" I have these crazy memories of him doing so.

...................... You know, I have no idea. Hope I still have a save state before I went on my recruiting spree, because that sounds amazing.

So hey, how about another character analysis while we're all staring at pictures.

Let's talk about the Lizards! I was gonna talk about Karayans but there are rather a lot of them so I'll get to them later.

We'll start with Dupa. Of our three fighting Lizards, Dupa is the most average in build. Not to say he's anything even remotely like "small," but of our three (And Peggi), he's still in the middle. However, despite his size and stature, he is still the Lizard that stands out the most. His clothes are warm reds and burgundies, which is in high contrast to his green and orange-y scales. The stark difference in colors on his model make him stand out among all the other Lizards in the clan, both NPC and PC alike. Even his scales are a bit brighter than the others. And, just in case you didn't catch on to his colors drawing your eye? Bam. Big ol' pink feathery headdress, just for you. Now, there's no way you wouldn't notice that. Especially since no other Lizard has anything on their head, except Zepon. And Zepon hardly counts, since you don't even see what he looks like during the actual game. Basically, his design is geared to give off a feeling of "I AM IMPORTANT," and it does so pretty well. Which is good, because he commands a lot of attention from the story, as well as holds a high rank in Lizard society. He's a notable person, so he's easy to pick out in a crowd.

Shiba is the largest of our Lizards. Not only is he tallest, but he's even more massive than Lizards usually are, which is reflected even in battle by his ridiculous HP, defense, and immense strength. His scales on the back of his neck support this decision in how armored they make him look. However, his design is actually very round and stumpy. His head is more of a square shape to the triangular shape of the others, and his snout is much shorter. His tail is thicker, but also a bit shorter than the others. Even his outfit is "rounded out" in that there is little contrast between him and his shirt. The only bit of contrast on him are the red gems and pink tassel near his chest and stomach. Overall, this gives him a more unassuming look, which is an important part of his character. He's big and stocky, but he's probably the nicest of the Lizards at the same time. He's relatively even-tempered when compared to Dupa, and he looks out for those who have earned his trust and respect much like a guardian. He even told Geddoe to be careful on the ramps inside the Great Hollow and such -- not out of any sort of superiority complex or anything, but just because he was looking out for him. Thus, his design is about as round and soft as one could make a roughly 8 foot Lizard man look. This may also be due to the fact that he is not originally from Great Hollow, though. Instead, it's noted that he came from another band of Lizards that are never actually visited over the course of the game.

Bazba is a bit of a peculiarity when it comes to the Lizards. He is small and angular when compared to the others, and doesn't look quite as battle-ready as the rest of the Clan (Ironic, given you find him in the training hall). In fact, he's actually something of a mage. Or, as close to one as you can get when you're a Lizard. The circlet-like head-piece is also reminiscent of more traditional magician character designs, and the pointed top might be a reference to a pointed wizard hat. It is also sort of flashy, given that there is very little metalwork on the Lizards aside from on their weapons. They tend to favor beads, stones, and rough fabrics over snazzy metal jewelry. The creepy pupil-less eyes also help separate him from his warrior companions. It's actually noted that he is considered to be very attractive amongst the Lizards, so I suppose he's something of a Lizard bishounen, which is all I'm going to say in regards to that because it's weird. In a nutshell, Bazba is a lean, mean, magic machine, except not really because he's still considered a warrior class and they can't equip elemental Runes. Spoiler, they hard-coded an elemental Rune onto him that is not removable to make up for this.

It's easiest to talk about Peggi by pointing out his differences from the other three. First and foremost, his outfit is totally different. He's not wearing the oversized long-sleeved shirt that the others all seem to share, possibly because he is no longer a warrior. (It might be their uniform or something, I don't know.) His design is actually quite evocative of a standard dwarven blacksmith, even down to the fact that he is wearing a white wife-beater of sorts so you can see all his muscles. The hammer helps too. Hell, if he had hair, I'm sure it would be in all kinds of crazy braids and stuff. As it stands, he has to settle with a nose-ring. He's pretty squat and boxy as well. His tattoos are different from the ones on the other three. Where they all have lines across their noses, he has tattoos on his tail and shoulders, which may also have something to do with his occupation. Overall, his design is very loud. Just look at those stripes. Takes a real man to wear a gold and maroon striped and furry skirt, lemme tell you. Though, we've seen that he has a loud personality as well, so it fits. However, he still seems very approachable. His portrait is head-on, which makes it almost look like he's smiling. His eyes are also large and friendly, if you can get past the pointedness of his head and his nose-ring, which backs up what we've seen of his character. Loud and sort of intimidating, but he's actually quite a nice, excited guy once you get talking to him. You just have to gather enough courage to talk to him.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I very much enjoy your breakdowns of the different character designs. Please make sure to do ones for the most important character of all, who is also a dog.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Hello everyone, I've been enjoying this thread for a while but this is my first time posting. This thought popped into my head and I just had to share it.

It's pretty crappy, I may clean it up / color it later but a mix of feeling very Geddoe and general sleep deprivation means... eh.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

That is amazing. :allears:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Beautiful. :allears:

And now it's on the OP. Now stop not sleeping. What is with this thread and attracting all the sleep-deprived folks? (Including myself I guess?)

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
What makes Guillaume extra creepy in my mind is that he faces the camera when chasing little girls.

And now I can't help but picture the Zexan knights doing a battle pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

OK, which one of you is responsible for programming The Weather Channel's homepage?

• Locked thread