Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FairGame posted:

OK, which one of you is responsible for programming The Weather Channel's homepage?

I didn't. I'd never have thought to put that on the weather channel. I mean, it's the weather channel, not the fish channel. Only a truly depraved lunatic would do that...

Oh, that was serious, and the weather channel has 'branched' out into non weather crap?

I stand by my depraved lunatic statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

FairGame posted:

OK, which one of you is responsible for programming The Weather Channel's homepage?

:gonk: God dammit, why?? This fish is the worst fish. It's the same drat picture and everything.

Heads up, I'll probably be posting the next update tomorrow night. It's also incredibly long since we're finishing up Geddoe's chapter. It's not long enough for two updates, though, so here's hoping I don't reach the character limit!

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Well, I think we know what the 5th level spell for the Blue Gate Rune series would be: Summon Eldritch Teethed Fish Monster Thing.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Geddoe Chapter 1.7 - A Potch For Your Thoughts.

Today, we'll be finishing up Geddoe's chapter.

We'll start by traversing the Mountain Path so we can make our way to Caleria.

As far as areas in this game go, the Mountain Path is one of the more interesting in layout, but also one of the more annoying.

It's made up of a lot of winding and branching paths, but unlike Mt. Hei-Tou, the paths don't merge later in the map.

As far as enemies go, the most common are the Devil Eyes; a powered-up version of the Megawaki monsters from the underground path as Hugo. They haven't improved much since then.

The main issue is they have a lot more HP now, so although they're not too damaging, they have a lot more time to smack your characters around than they did before.

Their lasers have gotten a bit of a power-up, though, now dealing about 150 damage. They don't use it too often, though.

There are also these giant butterflies called Chon-Chons. They always come in swarms, and I hate them.

They attack primarily with their long tongues, which does a mediocre amount of damage.

They can also spray glitter at you, which not only does mediocre damage, but takes forever to go through the animation.

And yet, they are hard to hit, and like to gang up on party members. They also don't care about your formation, since they can fly. Yes, Queen and Joker both went down in this fight.

And then there's these things. The Yellow Svire's are even more annoying.

These weirdo narwhals are pretty weak, and don't do much damage either. They can fly past your lines like the Chon-Chons, but they're even harder to hit than the butterflies, and even more irritating to deal with, since I hadn't increased anyone's accuracy in a while.

Oh, and there's also Salamanders. As we've already seen the stronger version of this enemy, the Salamander is sort of a let-down. It's like the Troll Dragon, but worse in every way.

Anyway, we find our first fork in the road on the first screen. The left path will take us further up, so let's check out the dead-end on the right first.

Yeah, it's not too interesting. We get some Asian Herbs for our trouble, but that's it.

The left path ends in yet another forked road.

This time, it's the left path that's the dead end. We pick up a Medicine C from the plant, at least.

The right path is conveniently straight-forward, but also not too interesting.

It has some nice waterfalls, though.

We come out in a short area which, once again, has a forked path. This screen is a bit more fun, though.

I see you there, monster. :getin:

Indeed, we get a treasure boss on our way to Caleria, and this one isn't optional like the last one. Also, there's a MGS joke in that boss name somewhere, but :effort:

So let's start off by tossing a Soaring Bolt--

:cripes:

The Twin Snakes have a variety of attacks that changes depending on how many pieces it has left. Including this tri-beam sort of thing, which obviously it can only do while it still has all three heads. Thus, your first goal should be to take out the heads. It does moderate damage (around 110-120), but hits the entire field.

We manage to get most of our team Berserked with Aila's Shield Rune, though, so that's a pretty good start, lasers aside.

We have Geddoe do his thing, too. He'll be doing this a lot.

:getin:

I'd been trying to get my frontliners to attack the red head while Geddoe and my rangers take on the other one, but Ace and Queen had some issues getting over to the head.

Aila does a mass-heal to get us back in tip-top shape. This'll be her main job throughout the fight, though she'll be getting some attacks in when she can as well.

The main body can attack with its ugly, purple tongue, but it's surprisingly inaccurate. It missed Ace in this shot.

The red head can use fire magic, but it isn't really that threatening.

It's AoE, though, so it'll take a small chunk out of the target's HP, and whoever might be nearby. As you can see, Geddoe has an easier time shrugging off magic attacks than Aila.

The blue head can use wind magic, and is a bit more threatening. I believe it can also use water magic to heal, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

Some well-placed lightning takes care of that, though.

Everyone proceeds to dogpile on the right head, except some chumps who really didn't feel like running over for some reason. :iiam:

Tongue-attack continues to be really lovely. (That's another miss, by the way. For some reason the miss box comes up before the attack starts, so it's impossible to get a shot of both the box and the animation.)

Some more lightning, arrows, bolts, and stabbings later, the right head goes down as well.

The main body dies soon after.

Levels are had by all.

The crew has some words before we're allowed to proceed, though.

: "But that monster's going to give us a hard time going through here, you know."

What? That made very little sense, Ace.

: "I'm not afraid. How do we get to Caleria?"

Indeed. The north path wouldn't actually take us to Caleria, after all. It would take us to a town called Le Buque, which is another Harmonian territory. We've no reason to go there yet, and I don't think the route would be on our map even if we did exit the mountain via that path.

: "I'm a peddler from Caleria. If you want to go to Caleria, go straight ahead. If you are going to Le Buque, take the road north. I'm warning you, though -- you won't find anything there."

The NPC from the above shot reinforces that we shouldn't go there.

Before we head to Caleria, though, we've got treasure to take. Not pictured, some lovely armor, as well as some seeds and stuff.

We have only this one screen left to go before we're clear of the mountains.

And with that, welcome to the trading-city, Caleria.

: "It's been a long time since I've been in Caleria."

The 12th Unit isn't one to do work without some serious prodding, so it makes sense they wouldn't go back to HQ often.

: "We won't get any emergency summons or special missions here."

The group starts to head further in the city, but Aila is caught up on the visage.

: "What's the matter, Aila?"

: "Phew.... This place... smells."

: "What can I say? That's the smell of humanity. People smell when packed together. There are a lot of different aromas here. Let's stop at headquarters first. I can finally get rid of this huge file."

By this point, even Aila has kept moving, so Ace and Jacques talk while walking to catch up.

: "So, I guess you don't know this place yet."

Here, we have proof that they don't do their jobs often. We also have proof that Jacques is a badass, considering they skipped all the paperwork and general order of recruiting members so they could add him to their numbers.

The game is kind enough to drop us off still pointed in the right direction, but what's the fun of being in Caleria if we don't explore every inch of it first?

There are a few buildings in the area we can go into. On the left, from the bottom to the top, we have an armory/blacksmith, a rune shop, and a general store. The building to the right is an inn.

: "That's him, the man in the coat! He looks like a Harmonian strategist. What a man!"

":swoon:"

: "That general isn't bad, either. Men from Crystal Valley have more style than Calerian men!"

":syoon:"

Crystal Valley is the capital of Harmonia.

: "Mommy, can we go now? I wanna have a soda."

Interesting fact about Caleria, most of the people seem to know Geddoe, and hold him in high regard. He doesn't have the same celebrity-status and worshipping as Chris had in Zexen, of course, but he seems very well-liked.

Hmm. We might not be the only Defense Unit in town, then. This man, by the way, is from Le Buque.

Highland is located southeast of Harmonia, and was an important location in Suikoden II. It became a part of Dunan, which is on the southern border of Harmonia, after the events of II. Harmonia has been at odds with Dunan in the past, but they're both acting civilized towards each other at the moment. :eng101:

: "I saw lots of soldiers getting geared up for a long trip. Are you planning a big campaign?"

I still have no idea what a snake frog is, but you're welcome?

Well, let's start hitting up shops, shall we?

We have the funds, so I increase everyone's weapon level from 6 to 8. (Queen just happened to be at the top, so I only capped her.) I could have gone higher, I guess. But I didn't for some reason. :iiam:

The blacksmith gets the front of the store. Through the doorway to the right, we can get to the armor shop.

She doesn't have anything great, so I mostly just sell some of my loot to her. The Le Buque man says something about how you should protect yourself with armor.

Next, we head into the rune shop.

I buy Queen a Wind Rune. She doesn't have the skill for it yet, though, so she'll be really lovely with it. However, there's no tutor in Caleria, so she'll just have to wait until later.

Next up, we explore the inn.

: "My daughter said she wanted to go to Caleria, so I took her along. Big cities are fascinating to kids. And Le Buque is so provincial."

: "Are you a tourist too?"

The trade center is in the second area of the city, near our headquarters. And the card-player is someone we'll see (and recruit) shortly.

: "He says a female fell down from the sky at the entrance of the mountain road to Le Buque. Is he all right?"

That man is the one slightly blocked by the woman in this shot, and he's talking about the hunched-over one. Speaking of that one, he says this:

: "Hmmmm... Mumble mubmle... Vi...ki..."

:tinsley:

: "There was a bigwig from Harmonia in town. The soldiers were all fired up. I wonder if they're planning some big campaign."

: "On the second floor there's this weird guy with a mask. He says he needs actors for his troupe. He spooked me, so I steered clear."

We'll see that man shortly.

: "... and so, because Iku won't talk to him, Franz gets on a mantor and flies around her house..."

: "Heh heh heh... Franz can be such a fool."

It seems Franz isn't well-liked in Le Buque, whoever he is.

: "In Caleria, we get imported goods from the South. Imports from Dunan are fashionable, don't you think? Won't you buy some?"

With that done, we go upstairs to check out the masked man who was mentioned earlier.

And then we promptly turned and walked back downstairs.

The masked man bows.

: "The whole world's a stage... I'm looking for people who are born actors, naturals, so I can open a theater. People wear masks and play false parts all the time anyway, so moving to the theater's stage is hardly a huge leap. Are you interested in theater?"

: "Theater?"

: "Drama in all it's glory, done on a magnificent stage! Ho ho ho! We start with a script, some actors, the bones of a tale. Then the curtain goes up, the drama begins..."

:stonk:

:allears:

: "Oh, this will be my most famous contribution to society. All I need for my first production are three males, two females, and one child. Do you know of anyone that can help fill the bill?"

: "At least help me locate some actors to be in my play. Let me know if you run across any. You must!"

Erm. Okay.

: "There's talk that the countries in the South are going to make a move. Our spies will be out gathering information."

He's most likely talking about Tinto and Dunan. I don't think Toran, Kooluk, or anything else much further south would give a poo poo, though it's hard to say for sure.

: "Oooh... This inn reeks of sweat!"

Well.

Let's check out that room behind Nadir.

Cats. :3:

: "Oh, great! Why do soldiers always leave their rooms in such a mess? Captain Geddoe, can't you teach them some manners?"

Back outside, we find a general store stall, which I'm only showing off because he's selling Sacrificial Jizo's and Escape Scrolls, and we haven't seen either. A Sacrificial Jizo can be given to someone to hold. When they are downed in combat next, it will revive them automatically and then disappear. Escape Scrolls are pretty self-explanatory. I don't buy either.

The trade shop is right next to the stall.

Salt is cheaper if you buy it from Caleria, as you can see. We also have some Deer Antlers lying around from when we recruited Scott, so I sell the ones we had.

There's also this guy in the corner.

: "Ah, finally you're here."

: "...."

: "Are you recruiting people to join you? Sounds good! I'd love to join you. But first, I want to see how lucky you are."

:rolldice:

: "Let's play an easy game of cards. If you rack up over 20,000 potch, you win and take the money. What do you think?"

:
>"Sure. Why not?"
>Forget it."

: "Every time you win, your winnings double. That amount carries over to the next hand; if you win again, it doubles again. If your winnings increase beyond 20,000 potch, you win the game!"

So, this game is a lot like Black Jack. You want to get as close to 9 as possible without going over. If you go over, your score rolls back to 0 and then keeps going. So if I got a 5 and a 6, I would then have a score of 1. There are some hands you can get, called "roles," which can give you auto-wins and multiply your earnings, but I don't get any of them this time around and don't feel like explaining. You can bet with up to 9000 potch, so we have to win twice in order to recruit Mike, unless we get a special role.

It ends up being a lot easier than I thought it would be, considering how much trouble I remember having last time I played this game. I didn't even need to use save states.

: 2

: 0

: 8

: 2

: "That was impressive."

: "It was worth waiting for."

:toot:

He buggers off to Budehuc.

We're not quite done with this area yet. There's an upstairs just off to the left.

:3:

: "I'm sorry, mister. I don't have any information right now."

This man would normally act as an appraiser, but for some reason he's not open for business at the moment.

A few more NPCs before we head to the other part of the city. From right to left...

: "I am the champion of justice, the Bishop Sasarai! Death to the Lizards!"

: "It's not fair! I want to be Sasarai now. I'm always the Lizard."

Sasarai was briefly in Suikoden II. More notably, he's the general that a woman was :syoon:ing over earlier. Because in Harmonia, religious leaders also happen to be military leaders. I'll get more into the workings of Harmonia in the future.

As a side note, and to avoid potential spoilers in the thread, I would like for those of you who played this game or the previous ones to not discuss anything about Sasarai and those he has connections with. You can talk about what we just learned, of course, but all we know is that he is a bishop-general and also he is apparently a hunk.

: "The situation is disturbing, isn't it? Are the bigwigs planning something again?"

: "Our soldiers have made the children so excited."

And now, the one by the gate.

: "Good day, Captain Geddoe. Welcome back from your expedition."

With the southern area fully explored, we head through the gate to the northern half, but are hit by a cutscene immediately.

: "All right. We'll wait for you at the inn."

: "I better not find you sauced to the gills later."

Heh.

: "Whatever you say."

They start to head towards the inn.

: "Oh, nothing. I said nothing. Right, everyone. I'll see you all later."

Ace heads in to the headquarters.

: "Let's head for the inn."

: "Sounds good."

Obviously we're looking around before we do, though.

There's not much to see in this part of Caleria, though.

: Thanks to Fitcher, the mayor of Muse, we've developed trade relations with the Southern Lands. Caleria is a trade town, after all."

Muse is the capital of Dunan, and Fitcher was a character in Suikoden II.

Behind the old man is a bujutsu teacher, so we take the time to beef ourselves up a bit. Well, except for Ace, who has left the party.

So close!

That should do nicely for now.

: "Soldiers are starting to come back. Caleria is starting to hum again. That means good times for us, too."

In the back is a warehouse keeper.

: "Hello, Captain Geddoe. Can I keep something for you?"

I drop off all of our seeds, recipes, and old books.

Matilda is also in Dunan, and Miklotov is another character from II.

: "There were some strange-looking men here looking for Budehuc Castle. I told them the location, and they walked off in the opposite direction."

: "Strange men come here quite often. They say they're looking for a place called Budehuc Castle. I think they've lost their way."

Considering they're looking for Budehuc in the wrong country, I would say so.

: "There's a new mission coming up, and all the soldiers are flocking to it for the extra pay. Are you in on it too?"

No, but somehow I feel it's going to come up pretty soon.

That's pretty much all for Caleria, so let's head back to the inn and wait for Ace.

: "Mmm-hmm."

: "It suits my palate better than spicy Zexen food."

I thought Hugo and Lulu made note of the Zexens having very bland food?

: "Huh? Er... yeah... I guess."

: "Hmph."

Just then, some new people strut in.

He takes a seat as Geddoe dishes out a sick burn.

Duke exchanges a glance with the blond woman next to him.

: "Don't be ridiculous! He's fine. Even if he is too gung-ho for my taste."

: "I see. Then give him this message: Stop making empty passes at me! He's all talk, and I find that beneath me."

: "The bastard..."

: "I'm sure Ace had a hard time coming to grips with who you really are."

Elaine walks around behind Queen smugly.

Queen's not going to let it go so easily, though.

: "Hunt for the True Rune?"

: "Oh, didn't you know? They sent out a notice. That's why most of the defense units are back in town. This time there's going to be some big prize money. Everyone's pretty excited about it."

So Harmonia's government is on the look-out for a True Rune?

: "Hmmm."

Well said.

: "Oooh, the new guy's in town. Too bad we're going to win this time around. Not you. It won't be like last time."

Proof that Jacques has been around for a little while; the other units know who he is even if he wasn't officially registered. Also proof that they really haven't been back to Caleria in a while.

: "Why stand around wasting time?"

If you couldn't guess, Duke is the captain of another of Harmonia's spy units -- the 14th Unit.

":effort:"

Duke sits back in his chair, still smirking.

: "That's what I hate about you. You pretend you couldn't care less. Fine, then. We'll settle this with the 'Hunt for the True Rune' in Grassland."

Showing these as screens so you can see their names and what they look like. Gau doesn't get any more lines in this scene, after all.

Ladies, please. You're both pretty.

: "Hey. That's enough, Elaine."

: "Oh, all right!"

The group starts to leave, and Elaine tosses one more sour glance towards Queen.

: "If you'll excuse us.... But don't forget to tell that creep not to send me any more letters through the army mail!"

: "But I agree with him that we'll take the next prize. Don't get mad. Bye now."

Aw, Nicolas, you seem like you're sort of an alright dude. He leaves as well as the others, though.

: "To think we'd run into Duke and his crew just after arriving at Caleria."

: "I know..."

: "Mmm-hmm."

: "Hmm."

Ace catches up with us shortly after the 14th Unit leaves.

: "Oh, brother..."

He looks at Queen quizzically, and the scene fades out for some exposition.

: "Hmmm. Why would they start a hunt for the 'True Fire Rune' at a time like this?"

: "I didn't hear much about it, but apparently, a punitive force from Harmonia is headed toward Grassland. They're mowing down the grass."

Oh boy. Looks like Harmonia might not be neutral towards the Grassland for much longer.

: "A Harmonian punitive force?"

: "It's strange. Most of the time these are tall tales. But this time it's true. I wish I knew why everyone wants the Fire Bringer, but with such great prize money, who cares? It's lucky we're here."

We'll be competing with our allies, so even they can be considered enemies in this case.

: "Hmmm? Why are you upset?"

She ignores him.

: "Well, what should we do?"

: "If the story is true, we don't have to rush it. It'll be some time before they get the punitive unit organized. It's been a while since we've been back in Caleria. We should take it easy for a while."

Oh, Geddoe. Your laze knows no bounds. :allears:

: "I agree with the captain. Grassland's not so bad, but it'll be much easier for me to bathe here than amongst a group of men."

She starts to leave.

He joins her.

: "I'm going upstairs to get some sleep."

Jacques stands and leaves as well, along with Geddoe.

He turns to Aila, the only one left.

: "drat them. Well? What's the matter with you?"

: "I want another one of those sodas I had."

: "Oh, brother."

The scene fades, and the Trinity Site comes up again, signaling the end of the chapter.

And here is Geddoe's blurb.

Next time, we meet our little castle lord again.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 5, 2013

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
I have been wondering for a while. Why the heck does Harmonia want True Runes so drat much? They should know full well that the Runes choose who they are used by. Going after them seems pointless considering that about them.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Nadir....you are weird. :stare: Just saying.

Also, Geddoe and his massive amounts of :effort: never fail to amaze me. :allears: Something tells me it's only going to get better from here on out with him.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

OminousEdge posted:

I have been wondering for a while. Why the heck does Harmonia want True Runes so drat much? They should know full well that the Runes choose who they are used by. Going after them seems pointless considering that about them.

I figure it's a combination of "we won't know until we try" and "no one will get to use it unless we say so."

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

OminousEdge posted:

It's a little hard to explain completely without going into huge spoiler territory, but... Harmonia wants the True Runes in storage, pretty much. Not necessarily to use, but just to make sure no one else can use them. The country has been around long enough and been in enough wars to know how destructive they can be, and they don't want them to be available as weapons against them.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I figure it's a combination of "we won't know until we try" and "no one will get to use it unless we say so."

This too.

AradoBalanga posted:

Nadir....you are weird. :stare: Just saying.

Also, Geddoe and his massive amounts of :effort: never fail to amaze me. :allears: Something tells me it's only going to get better from here on out with him.

Nadir is weird. I enjoy that Geddoe found him so odd that he used an explanation point while pointing that out. :allears: Geddoe is lazy and it's wonderful.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
To expand a bit, the implication in Suikoden II was that Harmonia is the biggest, baddest nation in the world, and if they dedicated their full forces to a conquest effort, they'd win barring an enemy True Rune nuking their forces. So essentially any True Rune they can get and safely tuck away is a big bonus for them.

There's other reasons, but those are deeply ingrained into Suikoden III's story so yeah, spoilers and such.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

OminousEdge posted:

I'm sure that all of Harmonia's intentions and inner workings will be explained in Suikoden VI!

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

I'm sure that all of Harmonia's intentions and inner workings will be explained in Suikoden VI!

Maybe they'll finally figure out that they can just have Jeane portrayed as a giant mosaic.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heh, an actual dogman! They're still around!

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

OminousEdge posted:

I'm pretty sure Harmonia is basically compelled by their Rune's domains (Order, Stagnation) to want to collect every other Rune and line them up in neat little rows.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Can we at least discuss Sasarai's fantastic hat?

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
How old is Ace supposed to be anyway? Here he looks like he's 50 or something, but in the comic he looks way younger.

Also I thought Geddoe could go to S in lightning magic.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Verbose posted:

How old is Ace supposed to be anyway? Here he looks like he's 50 or something, but in the comic he looks way younger.

Also I thought Geddoe could go to S in lightning magic.

I'd say that he's mid 30's to early 40's. He was one of Gilberts mercenaries during Suikoden II (he ran the rope climb minigame) and he looked like a grown man there.

EDIT: I don't remember you bringing it up Yokaiy but is this tidbit alright or were you going to talk about it?

Testekill fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 5, 2013

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

RaspberryCommie posted:

Can we at least discuss Sasarai's fantastic hat?

I suppose, though he doesn't have it anymore in III. :cheeky:

Testekill posted:

I'd say that he's mid 30's to early 40's. He was one of Gilberts mercenaries during Suikoden II (he ran the rope climb minigame) and he looked like a grown man there.

EDIT: I don't remember you bringing it up Yokaiy but is this tidbit alright or were you going to talk about it?

Yeah, that age-range sounds about right. I don't feel like checking the timelines for an exact age though.

What, him being under Gilbert in II? I've already touched on it briefly, but I didn't remember that he was in charge of the minigame. Yeah, anything that happened before III aside from things concerning Sasarai (and maybe some things concerning Suikogaiden and Harmonia as a whole) are fine to talk about. Give or take. Since every game takes place before III, discussion of all the games is fine.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

yokaiy posted:

, but I didn't remember that he was in charge of the minigame. Yeah, anything that happened before III aside from things concerning Sasarai (and maybe some things concerning Suikogaiden and Harmonia as a whole) are fine to talk about. Give or take. Since every game takes place before III, discussion of all the games is fine.

There's some completely circumstantial evidence that the generic yellow bandana S2 soldier that runs the rope minigame is Ace. I guess it's better evidence than the "Queen is secretly a major character from Suikoden 2 because...uh, she's female and has dark hair!"

Considering how much characters can change their appearance between games anyway, who knows? Lepant went from being bright orange to looking like a normal human being, for example.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I like all those little continuity nods. S3 doesn't have that much to do with the earlier titles, but it's nice when you get a little glimpse of something you helped set into motion.

Ace is 34 if Suikosource is to be believed (born in 441, S3 takes place in 475).

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

FairGame posted:

There's some completely circumstantial evidence that the generic yellow bandana S2 soldier that runs the rope minigame is Ace. I guess it's better evidence than the "Queen is secretly a major character from Suikoden 2 because...uh, she's female and has dark hair!"

Considering how much characters can change their appearance between games anyway, who knows? Lepant went from being bright orange to looking like a normal human being, for example.

Gau is a kobold with floppy ears, therefore Gau is probably Gabocha. Their names even start the same way!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Ace is 34 if Suikosource is to be believed (born in 441, S3 takes place in 475).
:raise:
...he definitely doesn't LOOK like he's 34. But then again, people age differently, so Ace being 34 while looking like he's 50-something isn't too odd.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

vilkacis posted:

I like all those little continuity nods. S3 doesn't have that much to do with the earlier titles, but it's nice when you get a little glimpse of something you helped set into motion.

The years have not been kind to Ace. I blame the stress of trying to get the 12th unit to work.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Ace is supposed to be grizzled (read: ugly), so the fact that he looks a bit older is actually really good design.
Especially since a lot exposition of his character is tied to his chronic bad luck with dealing with women.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Also, Nadir and his HQ addition are completely the best and without question my favorite base thing in any game.

And that includes winning limitless potch in like 3 minutes from Gaspar.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

yokaiy posted:

I still have no idea what a snake frog is, but you're welcome?

A short time on Google found me this.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

yokaiy posted:

: "I better not find you sauced to the gills later."

Heh.

: "Whatever you say."
My favorite part about this scene is how Aila follows Queen's gaze and looks really confused.

BlackArtistik
Feb 19, 2011

Nadir's design always struck me as a primary/secondary antagonist from some RPG/anime.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

yokaiy posted:

I suppose, though he doesn't have it anymore in III. :cheeky:

It's not actually a hat, it's the physical embodiment of the True Rune of Haberdashery. Much like the Star Dragon Sword, it chooses its own master, which is why it's not present in this game. It's off having its own adventure with, oh let's say Gengen.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not actually a hat, it's the physical embodiment of the True Rune of Haberdashery. Much like the Star Dragon Sword, it chooses its own master, which is why it's not present in this game. It's off having its own adventure with, oh let's say Gengen.

This demands fanart.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

How much longer until Hugo chapter two? I want my other favorite character.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

KataraniSword posted:

A short time on Google found me this.

Oh. It's actually pretty cute. How about that.

AshtonDragon posted:

My favorite part about this scene is how Aila follows Queen's gaze and looks really confused.

Poor little Aila. She doesn't understand how the booze-addicts world works yet. But yes, it's sort of adorable.

Fister Roboto posted:

For those new to the series, Gengen was a character from Suikoden II.

Testekill posted:

How much longer until Hugo chapter two? I want my other favorite character.

We've got to get through Thomas 1 and Chris 2 before we pick up Hugo's next chapter, but those are both reasonably short, so theoretically not too long.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Yessssss.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I decided against actually using this as an avatar, but not before I resized it. If anyone else wants it, have at you.

If the dog has a True Rune...

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

World's most adorable haberdasher? Sources say yes!

Also, Nadir's addition to the castle is great, especially when you get more Stars recruited.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

I decided against actually using this as an avatar, but not before I resized it. If anyone else wants it, have at you.

If the dog has a True Rune...

Captain Gengen get promotion, now Bishop Gengen! Say "Yes, Bishop Gengen, your grace!"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Captain Gengen get promotion, now Bishop Gengen! Say "Yes, Bishop Gengen, your grace!"

Or he's cosplaying as Karnak the Magnificent.

*envelope up to his ear*

Thunder
Snowe
Luca Blight

*tears envelope*
A rune, a prune and a loon.

Hey-yo!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

... I suppose all the comunion wafers are actually dog biscuts?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate the whole panopticon thing we've got going on here, especially now that the intro chapter is out of the way. It really helps to understand a complex chain of events when you see it from multiple differently-informed angles.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Things get considerably more interesting from here, since the various Chapter 2s criss-cross considerably less but are still relevant to each other. We're not going to be seeing as much repetition by a long shot.

Chapter 2 is where it GONNA GET REAL GOOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Although there will be a certain amount of "goddammit not the zexen forest AGAIN".*

*This is pretty much the only issue with SUikoden III where I can't fault the haters. It really is just amazingly bad pacing to reuse the same pointless pathways as much as the game does.

• Locked thread