Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, I'm also fairly sure that "spouse of X years" = "these two have been married for X years".
Indeed, no native English speaker would use "of X years" to mean "X-year-old".*

Either it's a very clever deliberate garbling of the story, or the guy who translated that bit was not familiar with the source material.

* OK, it's quite common in Indian English. But I doubt any native American or British English speaker would do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've definitely heard people say "a child of 17 years" so they probably just got them mixed together.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
An update is in the works, but it'll probably be a few more days. Before that happens, though, I've got two choices for you guys!

First choice:

Geddoe:
> Eavesdrop on some people through a building.
> Eavesdrop on some people from 3 feet away.

Second choice:

Some Lady: "I'm gonna talk."
Geddoe:
> Go somewhere else to do spy things.
> Don't spy and listen to the lady.

As always, bold your votes, and I'll be showing off alternates in an interlude later.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Eavesdrop from 3 feet away and Listen to the Lady.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Spy From Three Feet Away while holding up a stick with leaves. Proclaim you are a shrub if anyone questions your awesome slinking skills.

Do Spy things while sneaking on tippy toes. I'm sure that's something Geddoe would do.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Whichever requires the least :effort:.

Listen to the lady. (Because it requires less effort.)

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011
Eavesdrop from 3 feet away and I'm going to go with spying on the second one.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

vilkacis posted:

Listen to the lady. (Because it requires less effort.)

Sometimes that takes a lot of effort.

I'm going to have to go with

Spy from Three Feet Away

and

Just Spy Stuff

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Whichever form of spying takes less effort.

Listen to the Lady -- that is spy-work! You never know when someone is going to drop a clue or vital piece of information.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Eavesdrop through a drat building for the sake of competition.

Listen to the lady because Geddoe is a man of inaction. Unless something awesome can be done via action, but this is probably not one of those times.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Spy from 3 feet away. Finding good hiding spaces can be such a pain.

Listen to the lady. Women are a good source of rumors and information in JRPGs and wouldn't betray us or something.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

That rock golem boss can also cast Explosion. In my personal experience, he only seems to do it if you take too long to kill him, though. If he does do it at this point of the game, you are probably screwed.

Not voting because I've seen both versions of each scene.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

AshtonDragon posted:

That rock golem boss can also cast Explosion. In my personal experience, he only seems to do it if you take too long to kill him, though. If he does do it at this point of the game, you are probably screwed.

Huh. I don't think I've ever seen it cast that, actually. I'm just too good at this game.

In other news, voting will end tonight! But pretty late tonight, probably, so anyone who still wants to vote has plenty of time.

mageofthesands posted:

Spy From Three Feet Away while holding up a stick with leaves. Proclaim you are a shrub if anyone questions your awesome slinking skills.

Also, I plan in drawing this. :v:

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Even my tail feathers concur.
I'm going to vote for eavesdrop from three feet away and heck no, lady, I got spy poo poo to do!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zosephine posted:

I'm going to vote for eavesdrop from three feet away and heck no, lady, I got spy poo poo to do!

Seconding these votes. Geddoe has better things to do than listen to exposition.

Like being a shrub.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Eavesdrop on some people from 3 feet away.

Listen to the lady.
It's still spying even if they know you're right there and looking at you. It's just a testament to how good a spy Geddoe is.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Eavesdrop from 3 feet away and listen to the lady, because moving takes effort.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Okay, voting is over, and Geddoe will be creeping in plain sight and attending story time.

I'll be drawing him being a sneaky shrub once the update is done, so I don't spoil who he's listening in on. :haw:

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Now that I think of it, Geddoe might be better served with a beetle disguise.

"I am your ordinary, everyday beetle. Nothing to see here. IGNORE ME!"

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Do Spy Things and Do Spy Things

(First one is whatever.)

E: Missed the OP's post, whoops. Pay no attention!

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Geddoe Chapter 2.2 - Creepy Crawly

Carved into the cliffside of a gigantic cavern, we find Le Buque.

It has the highest death rate among tourists in all of Suiko. They just can't stop falling off the bridges.

I assure you, the locals have no idea why. It certainly has nothing to do with the giant egg sacs on top of the buildings and what inevitably crawls out of them, right?

The group stops just short of the entrance to take in the sights.

: "So, this is Le Buque. It's the village of the Mantor trainers, right?"

: "That's right. The ability to train those insects allowed this tribe to survive."

: "Hmmm."

Aila approaches Queen to fill her in on some details. She's been learning a lot since she left the Karayans, huh.

: "Yes. The Carna tribe of Le Buque could always control the Mantors. So, even after they were conquered by Harmonia, they were allowed to live."

We'll be hearing a bit more about this situation in a little while, but yes. Le Buque was once Grassland territory, but has since been absorbed into Harmonia.

: "Allowed to live?"

The conversation gets put on hold as a loud buzzing sound comes into focus, and large objects pass overhead, overshadowing the troupe.

Bugs!

I'll say one thing for the group -- they're very good at adapting to situations with violence.

: "Why can't we ever be left alone?"

The bug-knights rush at us.

Interestingly, they decided to get off their bugs to fight us. You may notice that two of our enemies have names -- Franz and Ruby.

We've heard about Franz from some Le Buque natives in Caleria, of course. They didn't seem to like him much. Ruby is his mantor.

Ruby can hit about as hard as we can, and can hit twice per turn, making him probably the most dangerous in this fight. He missed Ace the second time, though.

He, and the other mantors, are all capable of shooting beams as well, though none of them managed to.

Joker is being attacked by a second, much less impressive mantor in this shot, by the way.

Franz, on the other hand, is kind of unimpressive. He can hit harder than the other riders, but he has the HP of a normal person rather than an enemy boss or mini-boss. One hit and he was already in critical condition.

This probably didn't make him feel any better.

After that, it was just a matter of cleaning up.

Everyone except Geddoe gets a level for their efforts.

They're a little more up for diplomacy now that we've knocked them around a bit, at least.

(They've all decided to get back on their bugs as well.)

: "What do you want?"

: "Do tell. Why do you come at us without warning?"

: "We have orders from the regular army not to let any unidentified people in."

: "The regular army? You mean from Harmonia?"

I guess we weren't the only ones who decided to come here before moving into Grassland.

: "What'd you say?!"

Franz, predictably, bristles at the comment. He probably would have jumped us again, but..

We seem to have another guest.

We're joined by the mysterious masked man from before who, apparently, is a Harmonian bishop. Not suspicious at all.

The riders lift off to get out of the way.

: "Greetings, Bishop. I spotted these suspicious -looking characters and was about to run them off."

It should be noted that losing the fight against them will actually give you a game over, so if anything, we were about to run him off.

: "Bishop?"

: "Who are you? Are you Harmonian?"

: "A mercenary, huh?"

: "Yes."

: "And what do you want here?"

: "We have instructions from the Defense Force to search for the True Rune."

: "Oh, really? I see."

The bishop turns to Franz.

: "Y-Yes, sir!"

Before getting lead off, Geddoe has the opportunity to (very briefly) question the bishop. We get a choice of name, mission, or nothing.

: "What brings you here, Bishop?"

: "This is a secret mission. You do not need to know."

He's not going to answer no matter what, though, so it doesn't matter.

: "Yes, sir."

: "Well, if you'll excuse me."

Mask turns and leaves.

Franz and his companions fly towards the village ahead of the spies.

They have a little musing to do before the follow, though.

: "It's odd to find a Bishop in a place like this."

: "Remember Sasarai, the Bishop who accompanied the Harmonian Regional Army from Caleria? Now there's this other one here in Le Buque. This is not just a coincidence!"

: "Bishop? Who's that? Seems like a pretty important man."

: "Well, he's important in title but little else. The one leading the Harmonian Army is the Bishop."

: "The Harmonian Army?"

: "Then, below us, you have the third-class citizens units. Like the guy who was riding that Mantor before."

He's leaving out a bit, there, but I'll have words for the rest of the Harmonian social and political structure in an interlude shortly.

: "It all seems so complicated. In Karaya, the chief is the most important, and everyone else is the same."

And with that, we can enter the village!

The guards don't say anything worth-while, so let's get on with it.

As you can see from the mini-map, we've got a fairly small and straight-forward town ahead of us. There are only three buildings we can actually enter -- the one on the left is the tutor/rune shop, the middle one is a house, and the one on the far right is an inn. The other red squares are shops as well, though -- they're just stalls instead of buildings. You can see the inn and item stall from here.

Of course, we don't get to do much exploring yet, as we trip a cut scene.

This will happen a lot.

: "Just as I said. We have nothing to sell to Harmonians."

: "Your name and appearance are Harmonian. You eat different food, right? You're so much like them it sickens me."

: "Ooh, you're right! The Harmonian brass might get mad."

: "Do what you wish!"

Franz storms off, with the other riders following behind.

Aila doesn't get it.

: "Well, that was... um..."

: "Just a complicated situation."

Okay, let's see if we can get anywhere before tripping any more cutscenes.

I'm actually rather fond of this village. It's very unique. You can see the item and armor shops in the background there, and--

Oh, whoops. There's another cutscene.

: "It's that woman!"

And so, Aila runs off.

Well, she'll probably be okay. At least for a little while. Let's look around a little bit first.

Mantors and their riders will periodically fly around. It's actually a really nice touch.

The woman kneeling down in the corner says this:

: "I heard that a foreign merchant made a fortune selling the Lizard Clan the town's specialty, red peppers. I envy him his freedom." [sic]

If we head up the path a bit, we've got the item and armor shop...

To the right of the armor shop is a ladder going up...

... Which leads to the take-off point for the Mantor trainers. We can't actually go in that building, by the way.

: "No one can match our mastery of Mantors! Soon, Harmonia must acknowledge our skill, and our humiliation will end."

Back down and to the left of the item shop, there's a path leading to the inn.

: "I want to ride a Mantor and cross that mountain..."

We'll check out the inn and house a little later, for now we'll head across the main bridge to try and get to Aila.

Oh, wait, there's Franz. Whatever, Aila can take care of herself. Let's see what he's up to.

First, we'll chat up this lovely person, though.

The man behind him gives us a new doghouse, which we'll give to Koroku later. :3:

Okay, now we'll see what that angry guy is up to.

: "I'm not."

Snail-hair shakes her head, but doesn't turn around to face him.

: "Then why are you being like this?"

: "Be so...?"

: "Why are you so helpful to the Harmonians? There're a lot of rumors going around. That you've been blinded by money. Or that you've become used to the luxurious lifestyle of the Harmonians. You might as well be one."

She doesn't. You can tell she doesn't.

: "...."

But does she believe him?

Franz leaves wordlessly.

Iku can't bring herself to stop him.

We can talk to her now, but she doesn't have much to say, so let's head off and check out the inn we passed over before.

The man on the left is the one who gave us a kennel, and the woman on the right says this:

: "Huh? That thing on the roof? It's a Mantor's nest! There are lots of larvae inside. Don't peek if you find bugs disturbing."

There's a duck hanging out inside the inn, but not much else is going on in the front room.

: "I've read enough. Would you like to read this?"

The child gives us Script #4 for our troubles in the back room, though. As for the house, we'll be ignoring it for the moment, so let's walk around outside a bit more.

Heading back to the middle of Le Buque gets us stuck in another cutscene, blocking us out of a scene we would have gotten had we chased after Aila instead.

You may notice that Franz isn't present -- he appears from off-screen and runs in a few seconds late.

: "So sorry I'm late!"

: "Hm."

The Bishop waits for him to get into place before continuing.

: "As the Bishop appointed by the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia, I bring you new orders. Because of your Mantor training abilities, I am giving you third-class citizens this opportunity:"

The Mantor trainers start murmuring quietly.

: "If we become second-class citizens..."

: "B-But..."

They immediately drop their conversations and face forward.

: "The Southern Regional Army of the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia has already crossed the frontier into Grassland. You'll go assist them in their search for the notorious Fire Bringer. First, head for the Safir Clan."

: "Any questions?"

A brave soul steps up.

: "That would be the case."

: "B-But... We're originally Grasslanders, so to fight against them is to..."

: "But it means we can become second-class citizens."

The bishop and Sarah leave the Carna to stew over that for a while.

Allowing Aila to catch up with the rest of the group.

: "Well, that's because... well... Well, I think it would be too difficult for you to understand."

Ace just really doesn't feel like explaining anything to her today.

: "What do you mean?! Why can't you just tell me?!"

: "This village used to be a Grasslander village. You heard it before, right? That this is a village that was 'allowed to live?' "

: "They were granted permission to exist as long as they were of service to Harmonia."

: "..."

Franz and Iku are talking in the distance again, but we've got something to pick up before we head over.

We've got business to the left of this building, just off-screen.

Specifically, with this man.

: "Selling."

You see, this man is selling something very interesting.

A sword.

: "You're selling that sword?"

A very interesting sword.

You see, this sword is not just any run-of-the-mill talking sword. The Star Dragon Sword, or Zodiac Sword, is actually a recurring character in the series, previously wielded by Viktor in Suikoden and Suikoden II.

Oh, and it also claims to be the manifestation of a True Rune -- the Night Rune. Whether or not this means it is the True Rune or merely has the True Rune attached to it is a little unclear, though. Regardless, ladies and gentlegoons, I present to you the first True Rune of the game!

Even Geddoe is excited. I guess.

: "Here's the deal... For 1000 potch, you get to duel me. If you win, this sword is yours."

: "Are you the owner of this sword?"

"You could say he's my servant. Just my luck, too. First, it was that man with had more hair than a sloth, and now this guy..."

A not-so-subtle nod to Viktor.

: "It's customary for a master to pay for his servant's upkeep, so..."

"Ugh. Humans are so whiny with their wants and needs... Eating, drinking, sleeping... bah! So much trouble!"

: "It sounds like you're the one complaining."

I'd like to see the SDS have a sass-off with Sgt. Joe. And maybe Lilly.

: "...."

:
> "All right, I'll duel you."
> "I'll pass."

: "All right."

We fork over the 1000 potch, and the duel begins!

One thing you must keep in mind during this duel is that Edge could quite literally tear Geddoe to pieces. He starts at level 42, so he's got quite the advantage over our man here.

This was with him defending, but the point still stands. He can take down Geddoe in two... maybe three turns if you're not careful. He tends to defend a lot, though he'll pull out a few deathblows to surprise you as well.

Anyway, we kick his butt.

: "I will take the sword."

Edge sheepishly steps forward.

Viktor. I believe this happens in Suikogaiden 2.

: "There's no way I can hand it over."

: "You're rescinding your offer?"

: "I can't give you the sword, but I will share the sword's powers with you. You can use me, as the bearer of the sword, for as long as you deem necessary."

: "A reprehensible act..."

"Off the beaten track we go again. Foolish kid!!"

: "Sorry."

:toot:

We can't actually use him now, though. But I'd have to wait until chapter 4 to get him with any of the others, so let's give a warm welcome to him now!

With that out of the way, we can go back and see what the lovers are up to.

: "What's just like you said?"

: "Weren't you listening? Second-class citizenship. We have a chance at becoming second-class citizens!"

: "Okay. What's so good about that?"

: "Don't you understand? If we become second-class citizens, we won't be taxed as heavily. We'll be able to travel freely, and we'll have permission to trade! Finally, we can be treated like real human beings."

: "Human beings?"

: "Iku..."

Franz sighs and hesitates, wandering a couple feet away so he can hide his face from her.

: "When I finally got back, I realized nothing had changed. We're still slaves. We have no real choices, and the only reason we're allowed to live is because of our power to train Mantor."

He shakes his head in frustration, before turning back to her, scowling.

: "We're not a Grassland village anymore. Stop sympathizing with all the old fogies."

: "No..."

The two fall into silence.

I will never not appreciate the delicate situation the people of Le Buque are in.

And then Aila ruins the moment.

: "W-What do you want?!"

Ace turns to face them.

: "Yeah.... Uh, sorry. We didn't mean to eavesdropyes we did. Are you having a lover's quarrel?"

Iku flushes and looks away, and Franz gets mad.

Yep, totally not lovers. Totally.

: "Hmph."

: "Regardless of what you may think or what the other villagers think, I'm not going to change the way I've decided to live. I've got to get ready... Bye...."

: "Franz..."

Franz stops right before passing Geddoe to deliver that line very bitterly.

He then leaves for real, and the spies talk to Iku.

: "Oh, it's okay. I've heard what Franz wanted to say. I must go now."

: "Umm, could you tell me something? What's this all about? I came from the Karaya Clan, and I really don't know anything."

: "Karaya. From Grassland.... I see...."

The scene fades...

... as we join her in her house. (It's the building right next to the inn.)

: "Uh, thanks. Thanks for inviting me."

: "It's tiring, standing around and talking."

Aila and the others slowly filter in.

: "About what?"

: "Why stay and listen to them talk about old stories? Whaddya say we check on that Bishop? The woman who was with him is the same one Joker and I saw back at Karaya."

: "Seems suspicious."

: "Yeah, totally. So, Captain?"

: "All right, then. We'll just..."

: "I want you, Joker, and Jacques to go."

: "Yes, sir. Then, I'll see you later."

The three of them shuffle outside.

: "So, what do you want to know?"

Iku and Aila take a seat once the others leave, and get right down to business.

: "What's all the arguing about?"

: "Well, I suppose this could be confusing for a Karaya girl."

Once again, I'd like to point out a nice animation touch, where Queen sits down in the chair, gets comfy, and then crosses her legs. You see how the four of them are all sitting with different postures? It's things like this... :allears:

: "Uh, yeah."

: "Well, the Mantor trainers in Le Buque joined Grassland and the army that followed Iroh -- the Flame Champion."

This was back when they were the Carna Clan.

: "That's how it may look from Grassland. But in the end it got very confusing. Le Buque was forced to become a part of Harmonia."

: "..."

: "There were only two choices for those who fell to the Harmonians."

: "Death or life as third-class citizens -- in other words, as slaves."

: "Yes... But because we had the power to train insects, we were allowed to live as third-class citizens."

: "So people put up with this all these years without resisting? Why?"

: "Well, that's..."

Queen picks up where Iku can't bring herself to.

: "The children of third-class citizens were taken to Crystal Valley, and forced to work for the first-class citizens. They were brought up to think like Harmonians. It worked pretty well. Indoctrinated at an early age, the children were integrated into Harmonian society."

: "That's where Franz gew up, Crystal Valley."

: "Makes sense. I think Franz is a Harmonian name too."

: "Then, does that mean Franz was tricked by the Harmonians?"

: "Aila, there is no simple answer to that question."

: "B-But..."

Just then, Ace runs in, followed by Joker and Jacques.

: "His devil ears picked it up, it looks like even the Mantor trainers who protect the altar are being forced to deploy."

What altar? Not even Ace knows, I bet.

: "I'm saying that you've got it wrong."

: "Altar?"

: "The altar of the insect trainers? What on earth is that?"

: "Well, when the Flame Champion invaded Harmonia, back when this village was still fighting as part of Grassland, the Flame Champion Iroh built an altar at Mt. Senai in the north and asked that it be protected. Because of the Harmonian occupation, the insect trainers began referring to the altar of the Flame Champion as their own so that the authorities would not destroy it."

: "What should we do? There's no point in staying here. If that Bishop is after that altar, maybe we should go ahead and beat him to it. Iku, could you tell us where it is?"

: "I'll do better than that. I'll show you the way."

: "The altar of the Flame Champion..."

Iku joins up as a guest so she can accompany us the 5 minutes it takes to walk from her house to the exit.

But we can't leave quite yet. We're not done with politics and poker plot yet.

: "I expect great things of you, so do well."

: "Everyone! Prepare for departure. We'll leave the moment we're ready."

Inner turmoil!

Franz has a few parting words for Iku before he heads off to Safir with the Harmonian troops.

: "Franz..."

: "I'm leaving now... I wish you understood why. I'm... doing this for the village..."

: "Farewell."

I enjoy how (some of) the troupe turned around to give the two a... kind of private moment?

: "Yes?"

: "Not if it's what you really believe in. But, please... be careful... And make sure you come back alive."

: "I will."

He runs off without turning to face her.

: "I believed what the people of the village were saying. And I still believe it. However... however... I also know that Franz is doing this for the village."

Aila turns to Ace, dumbfounded.

: "That's her reason?"

: "Maybe that's too deep for a child to grasp."

: "Wh-What? Who're you calling a child?!"

: "Hahahaha. In any case, Iku, we don't have much time. Could you show us the way?"

: "Of course."

We're given control once more.

It is, however, only a short jog to the edge of the village.

Last cutscene of the update, I promise.

: "Thank you. Stay tough, girl. You need to with such and intense boyfriend."

: "Uh, thank you. Well, if you'll excuse me."

: "Bye."

: "Not easy to say yet. It's hard for people to choose new lifestyles when their native blood runs thick."

: "Hmm. Well, I'm Aila of the Karaya Clan. I don't think of myself as anything else."

: "Hahaha! That's my kind of thinking. And I'm Ace, the most able and desirable man in the number one defense team."

":smug:"

: "Ugh, spare me your self-adoration."

: "The most desirable man, huh?"

She shakes her head."

: "We'd better get going."

They all promptly start leaving Ace behind.

Hahahaha. :allears:

Next time, we head for that altar and finish up this chapter.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Looks like Queen's from the same situation, or it's a typo. She says "they" in the next sentence.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Likely the former. Her detective profile doesn't go into enough detail to really say one way or the other, but it goes "Her home country was destroyed by Harmonia. She was born into a prominent family. That's a little surprising." (Tagged in case yoikay wanted to post detective profiles himself), so it's a safe assumption she was indeed a 3rd class citizen at some point.

There's reference to her being from a province of Highland that was lost to Harmonia in the shuffle after the Unification War, called Sanady, but for the life of me I can't find an original source for this nor remember such a location in Highland actually existing. I'd hazard a guess it's from card game stuff, that's usually the crap that trips me up.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Maybe I'm dense, but being the Bishop is important in title only, and yet Bishop is the Army's commander? Or is Sasarai the Bishop, and this masked one is a lesser one?

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 12, 2013

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

I always liked the situation in Le Buque. It's pretty interesting, and it helps the character development of our squad (mostly Aila, I guess). I've never really liked Franz, though. Maybe it's the outfit.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Geez, Aila. It's almost like the only reason you're around is an excuse to give the player exposition.

Which is better than Geddoe having to be told all of this. Could you imagine it? Geddoe going around and asking questions, instead of nodding along and cryptically hinting he knows everything, or at least pretends to?

One thing about this scene though. Aila, the young kid and lone survivor of a destroyed village, and member of your band of mercenaries, sees the woman she blames for the destruction, a woman Aila has vowed vengeance on. Aila runs after that sorceress, and you just shrug your shoulders and go off to the shops? Because there is no way this situation could end poorly, right?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Szurumbur posted:

Maybe I'm dense, but being the Bishop is important in title only, and yet Bishop is the Army's commander? Or is Sasarai the Bishop, and this masked one is a lesser one?

Sasarai isn't the Bishop, but he is a greater Bishop than the masked gentleman. The Bishop would be Hikusaak. I personally think it was a typo, though.

AshtonDragon posted:

I always liked the situation in Le Buque. It's pretty interesting, and it helps the character development of our squad (mostly Aila, I guess). I've never really liked Franz, though. Maybe it's the outfit.

I'm actually pretty fond of Franz, but more for reasons that come later. I think I'm more fond of his situation than his personality, but he has his moments.

Le Buque is one of my favorite places in the game, partially because it is a really cool concept and design, but mostly because of the delicate position that it's in.

mageofthesands posted:

Geez, Aila. It's almost like the only reason you're around is an excuse to give the player exposition.

Which is better than Geddoe having to be told all of this. Could you imagine it? Geddoe going around and asking questions, instead of nodding along and cryptically hinting he knows everything, or at least pretends to?

One thing about this scene though. Aila, the young kid and lone survivor of a destroyed village, and member of your band of mercenaries, sees the woman she blames for the destruction, a woman Aila has vowed vengeance on. Aila runs after that sorceress, and you just shrug your shoulders and go off to the shops? Because there is no way this situation could end poorly, right?

Yeah, if we didn't have Aila, the "be young and naïve and ask questions" job would fall on Jacques. And that would, uh... well, I'm sure we can imagine how that would go. It wouldn't.

Hey, that decision was totally on you guys there. You can either chase after Aila or catch that scene with Iku and Franz, and the voting went with listening in on Iku and Franz. I'll be showing off the alternate tonight, though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

"Le Buque tech support, how can I help you?"

"I'd like to report a bug..."

"...get out."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In addition to the animations, there's also a lot of nice touches in the character models. Most games would be satisfied to have one or two base skeletons, and just paste different textures on top of them. But in this game, most if not all characters have distinct models. Geddoe towers over everyone else, while Jacques barely comes up to his shoulder. Joker has some girth to him, and while Queen and Aila are both fairly slender, Iku has pretty distinctly wide hips. There was a lot of love put into this game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So the working theory of the spec ops is that there is no operation in the Grassland, they just want to pull off all the mantis riders?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

yokaiy posted:

Sasarai isn't the Bishop, but he is a greater Bishop than the masked gentleman. The Bishop would be Hikusaak. I personally think it was a typo, though.

Replace "Bishop" with "General" and it makes a bit more sense.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glazius posted:

So the working theory of the spec ops is that there is no operation in the Grassland, they just want to pull off all the mantis riders?

I think it's both. "We want to access this shrine, you want cannon fodder for your war, nobody cares about these bugmen, win-win-third class citizens die."

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
An Interlude - Serious Spy Business

So we had some dialogue choices in this last update that are a little different from the usual ones. Normally, we'd get multiple versions of the same scene, but in this case we get locked out of scenes by viewing other ones.

First scene; we could ignore the lovebug quarrel over there and chase down Aila instead.

We find her lurking outside the magic shop. Edge is also there I guess.

She seems to have picked up some good tips from her new companions, which is a pleasant surprise.

Geddoe joins Aila in her lurking, but he doesn't care enough to actually sneak while doing it.

Inside the building, the Masked Bishop and Sarah are having a hushed conversation.

That, or it's just really hard to hear through the walls.

True, they're near a window, but still.

So, basically, Mask here is being both dark and vague.

Metal Gear?

While they are probably talking about something very plot relevant...

... it's hard to piece things together when they're this obtuse.

Oh-ho. Now we're getting somewhere!

Somewhere very dark. I wonder if the Kobolds will be okay?

:stare:

Okay, I was going to :catstare:, but there's just something about this line that sounds way funnier than it's supposed to be.

Anyway, Geddoe gets bored of listening to vague bullshit is mildly intrigued.

Whereas Aila is shaking with rage.

I can't decide if the conversation reached a climax or resolution in there, but either way, Geddoe thinks it's about time for the two of them to mosey, so they bugger off. After this, the "Is everyone here?" scene will play, and I'm not sure how the two of them beat us outside that way! I guess Sarah has teleport-y powers.

Next up, the second scene; spying on the Bishop.

So, we can decide not to listen to Iku's story about Le Buque history if we decide to accompany Ace, Joker, and Jacques outside.

Queen and Aila stay behind to listen to Iku, for reasons these dorks can't seem to fathom. But that's neither here nor there; we've got a creepy masked guy to tail!

We find our suspects at the Mantor Trainer drop-off point, up the ladder.

I'll say this at least: the bug trainers must make a great mail system.

The rider dismounts (animation :allears: ) to report to the Harmonian duo.

I wonder who he's letting stay behind.

His next task apparent, the man leaves to pass on the orders.

Wow, those posters are wonderful. I love how there is propaganda inside the Mantor Trainer HQ. I wish I could read the small black font, though.

Joker is a pretty reliable person, actually.

It's a good thing Geddoe is around to interrupt their conversation before they get in a fight, though I think usually he'd just sit back and let that happen.

The boys head back into Iku's house to bring Queen and Aila up to speed on their findings, as well as ask Iku some questions.

Also, I enjoy how many pairs of Mantor trainer boots she has in her house. I wonder if they are Franz's?

And then everyone stares at Iku.

From here, the scene is the same, just with slightly different camera angles.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Ahhh, good old Star Dragon Sword. It might be a bit of a prick, but it's far more amusing than Zerase!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Star Dragon Sword bears the Night Rune? I thought that Sierra, queen of the vampires had that one? Am I getting my runes mixed up again?

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Sierra has the Blue Moon Rune. Which is fun to say out loud.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Ah yes, "Extreme Death", a new death-rock album by The Masked Bishop.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bruceski posted:

The Star Dragon Sword bears the Night Rune? I thought that Sierra, queen of the vampires had that one? Am I getting my runes mixed up again?

As Anchors above me stated, Sierra has the Blue Moon Rune, which is a separate but somehow linked True Rune. There's a bit of confusion as to where the Blue Moon Rune ends and the Night Rune starts, but it's noted that only the power of the Night Rune - which is to say, the Star Dragon Sword - and/or the Blue Moon Rune can do lasting harm to creatures created by either.

The backstory zig-zags over which rune created Neclord; Suikoden I suggests it was the Night Rune, II blatantly implies that he was another fallen Blue Moon vampire.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 13, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

The backstory zig-zags over which rune created Neclord; Suikoden I suggests it was the Night Rune, II blatantly implies that he was another fallen Blue Moon vampire.

Suikogaiden flat-out states Sierra made him a vampire. Why you'd do that to a guy named Neclord and be surprised he turned evil, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Bruceski posted:

Suikogaiden flat-out states Sierra made him a vampire. Why you'd do that to a guy named Neclord and be surprised he turned evil, though...

Maybe he was originally named Nick or something totally mundane, then one day he started insisting everyone call him Neclord. You know, like the twelve year old kid down the street. It's just a phase, right?

• Locked thread