Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Man, forget to read a Let's Play for a few months, and it all piles up. I am happy this is still around, not all LPs made it past a year.

I'm throwing a vote behind Meh... Castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Throwing in a vote for Thomas' Castle - it's really more his than any of the other three main characters.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Thomas' Castle! Absolutely this!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Wolf Castle, obviously.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Bruceski posted:

So a budo master would be a Mr. Miyagi-style sensai, while a bujutsu master would be Cobra Kai?

Basically, yeah.

Gonna end the vote tonight or early tomorrow morning. I let it run a bit long because of lack of free time, but I should be able to play again tomorrow. Also, I'll see if Cecile says anything about Orange Castle. Unless I forget.

Also, my personal favorite so far is Meh... Castle. :ssh:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, drat. Good on you, Thomas. I don't know how long this can possibly last given the genius strategist is elsewhere at the moment, but good luck anyway.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Sorry I'm late but a last minute vote for Hassle Castle

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Last minute worthless vote for Castle Anthrax! :v:

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
Last vote wins, right? I'll vote castle ........

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Verbose posted:

Sorry I'm late but a last minute vote for Hassle Castle

whoda thunkit posted:

Last vote wins, right? I'll vote castle ........

drat, I really like these two. :haw:

Voting is closed!

Thomas' Castle wins by what I am pretty sure was a landslide. It looked like a significant enough majority that I didn't actually count.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Huzzah! I finally did something right! :v:

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Finally got caught up. Good LP as always. Some comments:

I was promised a drawing of Geddoe's incredible stealth skillz. :colbert:

Will Erk get out of danger soon? :ohdear:

On a more serious note, I hope you start the character analyses. Those were really good, and I still think they add a lot of the LP. Now that Hugo Chapter 3 is done, how about the guys that joined up with him? Lilly, Quantum & Woody, Mua, and Hallec? Bonus points for the optional Stars that hooked up with Hugo.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

mageofthesands posted:

I was promised a drawing of Geddoe's incredible stealth skillz. :colbert:
Goodness, you're right.

mageofthesands posted:

On a more serious note, I hope you start the character analyses. Those were really good, and I still think they add a lot of the LP. Now that Hugo Chapter 3 is done, how about the guys that joined up with him? Lilly, Quantum & Woody, Mua, and Hallec? Bonus points for the optional Stars that hooked up with Hugo.

Oh, I was actually thinking about doing something like that. I haven't had time to play lately, so maybe I'll do an analysis first. Too tired to do it right now, though.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

mageofthesands posted:

Will Erk get out of danger soon? :ohdear:

Erk is always in danger, that's the majesty of a pulp character.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Erk could be the star of an old radio drama, just as soon as someone in the Suikoden world invents the radio.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

yokaiy posted:

Goodness, you're right.

Every last one of these is magical, Yokaiy.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Delsaber posted:

Erk could be the star of an old radio drama, just as soon as someone in the Suikoden world invents the radio.

I wonder if there's a rune you could use for that. There's been other sound related ones, so...

I've never seen such a handsome tree before. :swoon:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I don't get it, why are they looking at that tree?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Mehuyael posted:

I don't get it, why are they looking at that tree?

They don't quite understand why a tree is asserting the obvious fact that it's a tree, out loud.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Raitzeno posted:

They don't quite understand why a tree is asserting the obvious fact that it's a tree, out loud.

Wait, you mean that handsome trees don't assert themselves normally? What the hell kind of trees do THEY have?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Bufuman posted:

Wait, you mean that handsome trees don't assert themselves normally? What the hell kind of trees do THEY have?

Giant killer trees that grow cannon ammunition for some reason.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

We don't like to talk about those. :mad:

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Delsaber posted:

Giant killer trees that grow cannon ammunition for some reason.

You are quite positive there has never been a giant monster space tree in your canon, and never will be. Frankly, the notion strikes you as reckless and foolhardy.

Now, the tree that Yokaiy was showing us, that's a mighty fine tree right there if I do say so myself.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Just caught up with this thread after reading the LPs for the first two so I could get all the references. I really like the drawings and the overall style of this LP, so good job yokaiy!

Also, I found myself liking Thomas's chapters more than the rest since there's something about his story I find compelling.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Good news -- I think I am done with overtime-hell! Now I am just normal busy instead of stupid busy. :haw: I'm gonna try to have an update over the weekend.

In the mean time, let's talk about some of the primary members of Team Hugo!

First up, we've got Lilly. Personally, I think she is fabulous, both as a character and from a design-standpoint. As far as her outfit goes, she has a nice blend of practical traveling clothes and ridiculous pompous fancy-bits, so you can tell that she's probably pretty well-off even when she's running around on a cross-country expedition. On the practical side, she is well covered to protect against lesser threats of travel like brambles and the like, and her outfit is pretty neutral in color, using mostly darker or dull shades of secondary colors, so that she can avoid unwanted attention. And then she has a giant hat with a big red feather, and her shirt/dress has some ruffles up at the collar and poofy sleeves, which seems a little too pompous for a normal merchant traveler. Actually, for being from a mercantile country, she quite resembles a pirate. Or a vigilante Musketeer. Which suits her very pushy and aggressive personality, I think.

Sylvarant and Tethe'alla Reed and Samus are pretty difficult to talk about as individual units, so let's cover them together. Their outfits are really just callbacks to Lilly's clothes, even down to having a shirt/dress with poofy sleeves and a frilly collar. Except, since they are her lackeys, their outfits had to be even more unassuming than hers, and so they're given the shades-of-brown color treatment that we see in far too many games nowadays. Oh, except they also get chaps and weird arm-sleeves, so there's that I guess. Aside from the color/style of their chaps, we really only have their build and facial features to go on to distinguish them by, so it's fitting that they're basically exact opposites in that regard. Reed is taller and a bit thinner, with a long and pointy face. He's also white. On the other hand, Samus is stockier and a bit shorter, with a more squared face, and darker skin. As such, they're almost straight-forward, except in their hair. Which is really the only interesting thing about them -- Reed has a pompadour kind of hair style, which in a lot of Japanese media is used to signify someone being rebellious or a delinquent. (See: Yuyu Hakusho and Shaman King) Samus has something more resembling a military cut, which would in theory show that he is more willing to take orders and be calm in situations. However, Reed is the more laid-back of the two, and Samus is the one that gets frustrated and stressed out more quickly, and is less-likely to just go with Lilly's plans and ideas.

Next up, Hallec and Mua. Together not because I don't think there's enough material on them to be talked about individually, but because they are a really good pair.

Hallec is sort of your standard berserker kind of design, even down to his lack of a shirt and wielding of axes. His clothes stand out only because they're made out of a polar bear or something, otherwise he's largely brown in overall color. Again, that feels kind of standard for a berserker, as he comes off as both rough around the edges and simple in nature. This plays well with his backstory, which is basically that he's looking out for his village by looking for the Flame Champion who apparently saved the village once in the past. It is also present in his speech patterns, where he drops words sometimes but still gets the basic points across. (Mua, on the other hand, is a bit more flowery with his words.) He has some hidden dorky-ness in his hunger for ducks and adopting everyone as his sons, though, which is a nice compliment to how he kinda looks scary.

Mua is also pretty simple as far as standard knight designs go. His pallet is much more saturated and bright than Hallec, and he is more well-kempt (apparently he shaves 3 times a day to keep his facial hair looking perfect) which fits his whole schtick of being a very honorable man and fighting for the freedom of the Grasslands and justice for the oppressed. Mua's dorky-ness lies in how he's picky about weird things like wearing pajamas and likes to bust out into song in the baths.

The two are very much foils to each other, as it is common in this game to have a pair (or more) serve as a foil to one another. (Chris/Hugo and Geddoe/Thomas, if we're just going by main characters) Culturally and mechanically, they are the exact opposite, but they both share the drive to help others (Hallec's village and Mua's uh... random innocent strangers?), which makes them compliment each other very well. They are also both very important because they are foils not only to each other, but as a single unit to Hugo and Chris as a unit. Hallec and Mua come from a tribal and knightly background (in that order), much like Hugo and Chris, and they oppose each other stylistically and so on. However, they share a very different relationship, where the two are actually very good friends as opposed to enemies. Are they there to serve as a reminder that people from different cultures can get over things and work together? Should Hugo and Chris learn something from these two? Can they? Only time will tell.

I was originally planning to also talk about how misleading their names are, but someone in the thread mentioned that Mua is a mistranslation of "Moore." Looking at the guidebook, I'm not entirely sure this is true (as I feel like if it were Moore it'd be Moa 「モーア」 instead of Mua 「ムーア」It's also romanized as "Mua" in the book so :iiam: ). Whether or not the translation is a poor romanization or not, when I first saw these two, I thought that their names were interesting, as "Mua" sounds more like a barbarian-ish (or berserker or whatever) name than "Hallec," and vice versa, so I thought I'd still at least mention it, even if it's not actually a relevant or true point.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is Mua designed with some genuine Heraldic imagery in mind, or is that just random?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I've said it before but Lily is legit one of my favourites in the series.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

I love Lilly. She is super awesome and I wish I didn't know that some people didn't like her.
The rest of Hugo's cast (outside of Sergeant, obviously) I'm kinda indifferent about. I think they are all pretty well designed, but I just don't care about them.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

yokaiy posted:

Sylvarant and Tethe'alla

Guess I'm not the only one that picked up Symphonia Chronicles since early last week.

And nice call on the YYH mention. Seriously, all Reed needs is some red hair dye and an energy sword and he's set to run that cosplay.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
I still think Mua's sword looks weird. It's just a big triangle. I would have expected a more classical sword design to go with the classical knight character.

On the other hand, whenever I think of good looking weapons in jrpgs, I immediately picture Lilly, and Power Man & Iron Fist. Those scabbards just look right, you know? I also expect the rest of the Tinto Republic Presidential Guards (or whatever) to dress like that. Wasn't Tinto kind of inspired by American West, or Southwest in S2, or is that me just assuming it was based on how The Warriors Three look like?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Xander77 posted:

Is Mua designed with some genuine Heraldic imagery in mind, or is that just random?

I'm not sure. It's probable, but I don't really know much about Heraldic imagery and symbolism.

Bufuman posted:

Guess I'm not the only one that picked up Symphonia Chronicles since early last week.

And nice call on the YYH mention. Seriously, all Reed needs is some red hair dye and an energy sword and he's set to run that cosplay.

poo poo, did that come out? I completely forgot that was happening. I just fell into an apparently very well-timed fit of nostalgia for the game recently.

In the manga, Yusuke has a bit of a pompadour too, actually. And a lot of the random punks in the earlier part of the series as well. It's kind of a thug staple. But yes, YYH is wonderful and needs mentions as often as appropriate. And Reed would be a pretty perfect Kuwabara.

mageofthesands posted:

I still think Mua's sword looks weird. It's just a big triangle. I would have expected a more classical sword design to go with the classical knight character.

On the other hand, whenever I think of good looking weapons in jrpgs, I immediately picture Lilly, and Power Man & Iron Fist. Those scabbards just look right, you know? I also expect the rest of the Tinto Republic Presidential Guards (or whatever) to dress like that. Wasn't Tinto kind of inspired by American West, or Southwest in S2, or is that me just assuming it was based on how The Warriors Three look like?

In Sui2 it was largely a mining town, with a lot of stucco and white stone. It's pretty arid looking, too. I can't find much in the ways of good pictures, though, so here's a cap from one of the LPs on the archives.

I think it's probably progressed a lot since becoming an independent nation, though. Enough to apparently have become a prospering mercantile nation well-off enough to have traders apparently being in a bunch of other countries as well, like Zexen, and apparently a network of scouts and spies. If Lilly is to be believed, anyway.

Yeah, Mua's got a pretty weird sword.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 15, 2014

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

yokaiy posted:

Yeah, Mua's got a pretty weird sword.

Eh, it's standard issue if you're a character in Valkyrie Profile. It's just because Suikoden's a series more grounded in sensible weapon design that it seems weird.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Thomas Chapter 2.3 - Thomas' Castle

Welcome to another chapter of Thomas! We'll actually be finishing his chapter up in this update, and with it, his story.

Sad, I know. We'll still see him around, though.

Let's start by naming our castle!

: "Yay!"

: "Orange Castle..."

Haha, just kidding.

As per the wishes of the thread, our castle will now be known as Thomas' Castle. Except there's no apostrophe, so it's just Thomas Castle. Good enough.

: "What do you think?"

I was actually a little surprised it let us have that name. I'm not actually sure if there are any limitations on Castle names, though I think there are in some games? Like, I don't think we would have been able to name it Brass Castle, but I've never tried.

: "Yay! Thomas Castle. Sounds great!"

: "Hmmmm..."

Juan doesn't really like it. But he doesn't like anything because he's a poop, so whatever.

: "Uh, yes... Of course. Let's do our best, Thomas."

:3:

The scene cuts to Thomas in his room. We're allowed to dick around instead, if we want, but there's nothing to do. Not even a new article to read. I tried it.

He has a little trouble getting to sleep, though.

: "Ahh... I suppose I should get going."

He yawns, and makes for the door.

As he's about to open it, Cecile bursts in.

: "Cecile, what are you doing?"

: "Uh, uh... Thomas. I-I'm sorry. I..."

: "What's the matter? I think it's time you rested now."

: "Uh, uh... yes. Um... Um... "

She bows, and it freaks him out a little. :haw:

: "What's the matter, Cecile?"

She stands back up, but keeps her head lowered still.

: "I'm sorry for saying those things this afternoon. I was out of line."

He cuts her off about halfway through her sentence.

: "Huh?"

: "What you and the others said really touched me, but I think I knew the right choice even before that. I feel like this is the first time I've chosen anything for myself. And I'm quite proud of that. So, Cecile... Please don't worry any further."

: "T-Thomas..."

: "Let's do our best tomorrow."

: "I'll do my best! And I'm sure we can win."

: "Everything will be fine. Everyone's working so hard. Besides, there's the plan Caesar left us."

Ah, yes. Caesar mentioned that when he was with Hugo, I think.

: "I feel good about this."

Finally, the morning arrives.

The place seems to be empty in preparation for an attack. Wise decision, probably, to get the civilians to a safe place before the Zexens come back.

: "It must be time. Here they come."

Thomas comes running in from behind to join them.

: "Ready when you are, Juan."

: "Uh.... Hold on...."

Yeah, all of that dialogue happens. I'm not sure why they have Thomas say he's ready before you get to actually decide, though.

: "Come on, it's getting late. Stop messing around and finish what you have to."

: "Right. Will do."

:haw:

Now, the real reason why I had Thomas stall was not for that gem of a line, though.

I wanted to organize my party. There's no real point to doing it, but it made me feel better anyway.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand!

Talking to anyone but Sebastian (who you talk to in order to mess with the party) will cause this cutscene to play, so let's just get to it.

: "Right."

: "We know. Just settle down."

Wow, Juan feels like he's really become very reliable in this chapter. It's kind of strange.

: "Thomas."

Cecile nods at Thomas supportively.

: "Let's do it!"

Behold, a strategy battle!

Much like the last one, this battle is pretty easy.

: "Everyone, you know what to do. We need to buy time."

I'm not sure if she's yelling that because of the boy or the castle now. I can't remember if she was chanting Thomas or Reinbach the last time I played. I'm assuming it's the castle.

: "I know, I know..."

: "The clouds say the wind is with us."

: "Wouldn't want to lose our home, would we?"

: "Most certainly not!"

: "Oooohoooo!"

: "............"

: "Sir, try not to be too, um, emotional. Sir."

So here's where we stand. We've got four units on the Zexen side, and three on our own. The terrain is to our advantage so long as we stay close to the castle, but moving out a little will still give us a 20% damage reduction. Since they have to come to us, we can also surround them pretty well.

Our units are as follows:

Juan is leading his team with Augustine and Watari with Mio in support. They are arranged so that Augustine is in front of Juan, and Watari is in the back with no one in front of him. He is capable of using two heals.

Thomas is in the lead with Twaikin and Piccolo. Twaikin is in front of Thomas, Piccolo is chilling in the back with no front guard. They have Martha in support. He is capable of using a wind rune once, and a quicken.

Cecile is covering her unit all by herself, with Sebastian as her support. She has no skills.

We'll start by moving Juan forward. I was being a bit cautious here, I definitely could have moved Cecile up to the northeast spot.

The Zexens move all their units up. The one with the purple deer is the Councilor's unit, by the way. Their fourth unit is in the process of moving in this shot, by the way.

They're on our turf, now. :unsmigghh:

Thomas is the epitome of courage.

: "Garrison to arms!"

Thomas and his unit rush into battle.

Appropriately, first blood goes to our little lord here.

Unfortunately, Piccolo doesn't get to use his magic. But he's still hanging in there!

Twaikin, on the other hand, has nothing to fear from these losers.

Here, we can see Piccolo covering for Thomas. The two jump to switch places so that Piccolo will take the hit instead of Thomas. Normally this would be a terrible idea, but with Thomas as the unit leader, they need him to stay healthy. Also, he only takes like 10 damage, so it's hardly an issue.

Twaiking bashes in another head, and the final Zexen attempts to flee.

He doesn't manage to, though.

Next, we have Juan attack the other middle-unit, utilizing the double cover advantage.

Well, I say Juan, but he spent the entire scuffle asleep.

Oh well, a win is a win!

Come the enemy phase, one of the units moves to attack Juan, but rather than hold them off, we just retreat and have Juan move back.

The second southern unit moves forward to take the spot Juan vacated.

I don't think we'll let them stay there, though.

Immediately, they try to retreat.

Our men put up a pretty good effort.

But in the end, they manage to escape us.

Leo and Percy pop up in the southeast of the map.

: "Get down to business."

: "Most definitely."

The enemy units all regroup, and Thomas gets healed because of the terrain I guess?

I do some rearranging to limit their movement and get some nice cover set up, though I probably could have kept Thomas where he was.

: "Waaaaaieeeeee!"

One of the units vanishes.

: "Really? Oh."

: "What happened?"

: "It's just a hole in the ground. I never thought it would work. It's so simple!"

: "Hey, that was one tough hole to dig!"

:allears:

The Zexens shuffle around a bit. The Councilor unit is in the process of moving here.

: "Hmm? Oh, right -- Retreeeeeat!"

: "Yessir!"

: "Last one back to the castle has rotten karma..."

: "Well what do you know, the spoils of war..."

We get a safe retreat, which is the retreat version of a major victory.

We also get a Killer Rune for our troubles, which increases crit chance. I might try to get this on Hugo, if I ever get the chance.

: "Okay."

We're prompted to rearrange our party so the regulars get in. I assemble everyone thusly.

Now, then; run awayyyy!

Hm, we didn't actually get very far, did we?

Chaaaaarge!!

Thought I'd show off Juan's battle-start animation. He might be a lazy-rear end, but the animation of him sitting up is actually quite nice.

Anyway, these bozos aren't really much of a threat.

To say nothing about the fact that none of them could scratch Cecile or Twaikin,

We also managed a lot of 200s, so it's pretty safe to say that these guys were dropping like flies.

That one corpse is actually two corpses. The second Zexen died and fell into both the same spot and position as the first one. I was really entertained.

Everyone got a bunch of levels -- either 3 or 4. Money was also had, but it had finished tallying up by the time the levels were all done.

: "Mr. Piccolo, we're going!"

The group retreats a bit further.

: "We're just going to have to do the best we can right here."

: "Right!"

: "Let's hope for the best!"

: "Yeah."

Thunk, thunk, thunk.

: "What is this?"

: "Hohohohoho...."

Hohoho indeed.

: "How come you didn't do that in the first place?"

: "Hohohoho... I only just learned it. I'm glad it worked. It's my once-in-a-decade lucky day."

: "Well, Mr. Piccolo, you won't have to use it again."

Hopefully.

Oops, spoke too soon.

: "Hiyaa! Get out of here! All of you!"

Fun fact about these four.

They are invincible. Your best bet is to just defend until the battle ends.

: "Oh, my..."

: "Wow! How'd you get so strong? Do you have a special diet?"

: "I'm not about to lose to some country gang!"

Well, guys. You did wonderfully. Really. I don't think anyone thought you could hold out against the Zexens at all, much less as much as you did.

: "drat..."

Might as well make peace with it. You tried your best.

Oh?

Oh!

Whoah!

: "What's going on here? Are you responsible for this?"

The scene cuts as a lot of fights are implied to have happened.

I'm sure we're going to be charged with treason either way.

: "Grr..."

: "How many battles has this been? I'm getting really tired."

: "What I wouldn't do for another flash of light to strike them down."

: "You're absolutely right!"

One more fight! We can do it! These two are very vincible compared to the last ones.

Appropriately, I got the better version of the Cecile/Thomas Unite, taking down the first marshall on the first move of the battle. :haw:

Augustine murdered the second one pretty good. :allears:

Levels!

: "W-We did it!"

: "But, how much more can we take?"

A single soldier runs in instead of the swarm he was hoping for.

: "What the--"

Martha! :swoon: Where have you been?

: "It's Martha!"

: "She finally made it."

Remember how they were buying time?

The stalemate resumes outside.

Also, I just noticed that the necklace-gem on Martha is made of actual geometry instead of just textured on. Huh.

:iceburn:

Look how pleased Piccolo is by that comeback, though. He and Martha are truly best friends.

: "How dare you. You look like a bandit."

: "Bandit? We haven't done anything wrong! I'd say you're the wrongdoer here."

: "This is why I don't like hicks from the Outlands. By order of the Council, this common land is..."

Martha cuts him off.

She then promptly ignores him to talk to Thomas instead.

She passes a document to Thomas.

: "Thank you, Martha."

She then takes her place by Thomas' side, as he moves forward to address the councilor.

Thomas brandishes the paper like a weapon.

He beams at them confidently.

: "What you are doing has not been approved by the Council resolution and is thus an illegal invasion."

: "D-don't be ridiculous! You can't get away with that!"

On the contrary...

: "I believe Zexen was intending to give up this land in the future. I think there should be no problem with claiming that right."

What, did you think we were done here?

: "The amount of the sale is 200 potch."

: "200 potch?!"

: "The payment for which is set at 1 potch per year."

: "Please get a hold of yourself. Are you all right?"

Doesn't it feel great when the politics are on our side? :allears:

But wait, we're still not done.

: "You will have to leave the premises immediately."

The soldiers all comply with orders, leaving immediately without a word.

He stomps his foot angrily on the ground, before pointing furiously at Thomas.

: "I won't forget this! Next time, we will take this castle -- as your enemy!"

But wait, we're still not done. :allears:

: "Huh?"

: "These traitors are causing quite and uproar in Vinay del Zexay. I don't see how you can remain head of the merchant's guild when you've upset customers so badly."

He shakes his head in a very "tsk, tsk" kind of manner, where you know he's secretly pleased with it.

: "I don't-- I don't know what you're talking about!"

The councilor visibly flinches, taking a step back.

: "That's preposterous! Of course I'm innocent!"

I'm sure.

He runs off immediately.

: "Well, then, Thomas, we will be leaving as well. Once the trouble at the Council subsides, it would be nice if you and the Zexen Federation could establish friendly ties."

: "Of course!"

: "Now, if you'll excuse me, Master."

He nods, and he and Leo leave.

: "Of course that's what it means"

Quick, guys, I need an emote that is :3: and :allears:

: "Uh, um..."

You were no slouch yourself, gramps.

: "A poor castle with no money won't do us any good, after all."

: "Uh, yes! Of course!"

: "....."

Thomas is finally released from the death-hug.

: "Uh, right. Of course."

A castle to stand up against any other castle, hm?

: "Yay! Yay!"

You know, I think we can manage that.

: "So, things have finally quieted down. I think I'll take a nice, long nap."

Perfect.

:allears:

And with that, we say goodbye to the Thomas chapters.

Next time, we'll be a Zexen.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 18, 2014

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Y'know, I totally forgot about the group death-hug at the end there until we were on it, and I am so glad it was gif'd.

I also forgot you can actually see Queen in that shot with the flash of light. Yay anticipation.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
"Everyone, Get Heady." Well, I think I just found my new catchphrase.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, pretty much every protagonist has backed Thomas' Castle at this point, haven't they?

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Glazius posted:

So, pretty much every protagonist has backed Thomas' Castle at this point, haven't they?

One of those perks of being the Tenkai star, I suppose.

Man oh man, do I love the end of this chapter. Every time a Zexen Councillor's plans are ruined, the world becomes a better place. :allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

This makes naming the castle all worth it. :allears:

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Let me work through this. The Council's position is that Castle Thomas is Zexan territory. That's why they appointed Thomas as the master in the first place. As a castle, it is supposedly a military installation, meant to protect the surrounding areas. I don't see how the master of a Zexan castle can just sell it, much less to a foreign government, without the Council's approval. I doubt Salome could just hand over Brass Castle to whomever he wants. Plus, Thomas was officially removed as master of the castle, and instigated a rebellion in response. From the Council's position, I just don't see how Thomas has the legal justification for this action. The Councilman should have just declared the sale void, and arrest Thomas anyway. Besides, Thomas isn't doing a very good job of protecting the people under his charge. The nearby town of Iksay was savagely attacked on his watch, after all. Did Thomas do anything in response? I doubt he even noticed. No, it was the Knights who had to step in and protect the people. Clearly a strong Zexan hand is required at Budehuc to ensure the safety of the people. If nothing else, the Zexan lawyers could debate this for years, while Thomas rots in chains.

I assume the Councilman failed to realize any of this because Martha is a very scary woman. Understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I do love the Thomas chapters. What's our current chaptercount then?

• Locked thread