Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

vilkacis posted:

Huh, I remembered someone in the previous S3 thread saying something about how it casts super fast. Guess they had been smoking bad ghost hollies or something.

Testekill posted:

Well, it casts quickly if you have a high water rune skill and a support character with a very high tutor stat.

Yeah, it's possible I guess. Rico and Nash aren't what I would call stellar water mages, especially right now. Nash caps around C I think (and I believe he already has), and I think Rico is at about the same skill level. I know Yumi can get higher than they can, but Silent Lake isn't something I usually think of using so I didn't actually try it. I'd also have to actually get her the rune to do it anyway.

Testekill posted:

Also, the only times that the Earth rune was actually useful were in Suikoden I & 2. At least in 1 it had a second level attack spell.

Oh, it'll happen. And it'll happen in this LP. And it will be glorious. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

yokaiy posted:

Oh, it'll happen. And it'll happen in this LP. And it will be glorious. :getin:

It doesn't count if Sasarai casts it while beating you up.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Testekill posted:

It doesn't count if Sasarai casts it while beating you up.

I mean, yeah. That's pretty likely. But nah, it'll be something that we do ourselves. You'll see.

You'll all see. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The suspense is loving killing me. After Geddoe Chapter 3 we officially get to poo poo Getting Super Real :woop:

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

yokaiy posted:

Some day, I'll prove the usefulness of Earth Magic! :argh:

Madness talk! Also dang, you did get lucky on that fight; I remember getting trashed pretty hard by that trio. 'Course, if I remember correctly, there is a benefit to losing that fight, but that's not going to come up for a long, long time.

And jeeze, has anyone noticed that there's a running theme of magicians being trolls in this series? Between Estella's abuse of her pupil, Luc's antics in I and II, Zamza's...well, everything, and whatshisface from V basically enslaving a dwarf with promises of shiny explosions, we've got a bunch of jerks.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

vilkacis posted:

Waaay ahead of you.

:c00l:

Edit: And that is why we update the page before posting. :doh:

You'd think I'd stop being surprised at Suikoden's ability to maintain continuity (bad math with army numbers aside...). I can't believe I never caught this. Though in my defense, I haven't gotten through Chris chapter 3 in years (drat my inability to get all the way through old games I've already beaten), and certainly not since I played Suikoden 5.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Bufuman posted:

You'd think I'd stop being surprised at Suikoden's ability to maintain continuity (bad math with army numbers aside...). I can't believe I never caught this. Though in my defense, I haven't gotten through Chris chapter 3 in years (drat my inability to get all the way through old games I've already beaten), and certainly not since I played Suikoden 5.

It's actually amazing how I never noticed this reference. I've played both games so many times. Mind blown.

On the topic of Rody and Estella, I've never actually used Rody, although he seems pretty solid. I remember looking at him once and dismissing him as just being worse than Joker, although in fairness, Joker is awesome. I can't really remember why I dismissed Estella, although if she doesn't get a third rune slot, that's probably it. I suppose having some spare rune slots isn't as important in this game as it is in Suikoden 5, though.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I had forgotten how tedious/creepy the Alma Kinan saga was.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I had forgotten how much I liked chapter 3 Chris's angry expression. You don't see it much, it's almost always just the standard profile expression.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Vil posted:

I had forgotten how much I liked chapter 3 Chris's angry expression. You don't see it much, it's almost always just the standard profile expression.

It's quite a contrast. Especially how Chris seems kind of angry a lot of the time, but they still give her the normal expression.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

: "It's Grasslands."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

quote:

I'm going to borrow this image to point out something: I like how Nash isn't stealing the spotlight in Chris' story. Even though there's a good chance you'd come in SIII and not know about Nash's little side adventures, he doesn't overstep his role as Chris' primary support. It could have been very easy for Konami to give into temptation and have Nash suddenly be more than a supporting role and overtake Chris in her story as he was a previous Suikoden protagonist. But no, the writers reign in Nash's presence and use him both as a voice of reason and as support (emotional and physical) to Chris, but don't go too far and keep the focus on Chris.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
It's simultaneously brilliant and frustrating how they handle him really. On the one hand, it's clear that there's more to his story than we know, and while he's not taking over this story at all, there's definitely enough for most any player to say "okay, there's more here, what's going on". Except for us english speakers we actually can't just look into it, see that there's spinoff games we missed, and see if we can't look up copies if we enjoy Nash and want more of him.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
True, it'd be nice to hear more about him in his only English appearance (to date oh who am I kidding, we're never getting another Suikoden), but again, we can't do that without risking him overshadowing Chris, and like it or not, this is her story, not Nash's. We're in a bit of a catch-22 there.

But I agree that they handled his appearance here well. They could've easily dropped a bunch of tantalizing hints about his backstory and leave us hungry for more, but instead we get just enough to deal with. We pretty much only get "He's a Harmonian spy," and that's really all we need to know for this game. This is especially nice for people that don't know about the Suikogaiden games, so they don't even know that they're missing out on anything.

Well, OK, I guess I'm forgetting the bits about his "missus", but honestly, those that know of Suikogaiden will assume it's Sierra, and the others will probably just assume it's only mentioned so they'll know Konami isn't going to make the predictable move of having him fall for Chris.

EDIT: Note to self: Always remember to preview posts when using tags that you don't use that often. Dimwit.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 7, 2014

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Apart from acquiring a bit of EXP does anything significant change if you beat Yuber and co. at every possible opportunity? Or do they at least have an extra line of dialogue later on, something like "You won't beat us this time!" (although that would look really petty, I guess); or anything, really?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Generally, scenes resolve slightly differently (for example, back in Hugo 2 we should not learn Yuber's name at that time if we lost ) but there's not really any lasting consequences or references later in the game.

Actually, this isn't strictly true if memory serves... winning every battle means that some fights in the postgame chapter become unavailable. Not all of them, but a few. But from the standpoint of altering the story all the changes are immediately noticeable and over quickly.

CmdrKing fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 7, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I respect them for actually letting you mow down Yuber and company, even if it's obvious you're supposed to be outmatched.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

It's simultaneously brilliant and frustrating how they handle him really. On the one hand, it's clear that there's more to his story than we know, and while he's not taking over this story at all, there's definitely enough for most any player to say "okay, there's more here, what's going on". Except for us english speakers we actually can't just look into it, see that there's spinoff games we missed, and see if we can't look up copies if we enjoy Nash and want more of him.

There is a translation out for Suikogaiden Vol. 1 and they were working on Vol. 2 as well not sure how much it has progressed since it was linked earlier in the thread. yokaiy even LP'd part of the first volume in this thread.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Glazius posted:

I respect them for actually letting you mow down Yuber and company, even if it's obvious you're supposed to be outmatched.

I liked how there are no unwinnable battles in this game. You even usually get something nifty for winning a fight you were supposed to lose, and how the scene afterwards even changes a little.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I was planning on bringing this up later, but since we're talking about it anyway, I am still going to play through and post both Suikodaigen games. I stopped because I felt like it was eating into the time I could spend working on Sui3, and that's what we're actually here for so it made sense to focus on the main game instead. So I'm gonna finish the Suikogaidens once we're done here, basically. And maybe Card Stories too. That's translated too, right? I think it is.

Which brings me to a question -- right now the plan is to just post the spinoffs here, but would you guys prefer if I made a new LP thread for them when the time comes instead? I don't really have a preference.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Card Stories is just Suikoden II but as a card game.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Testekill posted:

Card Stories is just Suikoden II but as a card game.

Except Joe is in it, for some reason. I think I recall Pokeytax telling me that he's even in a/some cutscene/s or something? That's all I know about it, though.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
Is there enough meat to the spinoffs to warrant their own thread? I'd certainly like to see more of them and don't mind reading them here.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Individually, I doubt it, but grouped together probably. I'm not entirely sure since it'll be my first time playing them too. But if you guys are all cool with me just doing them here, that's probably what I'll end up doing.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

yokaiy posted:

Individually, I doubt it, but grouped together probably. I'm not entirely sure since it'll be my first time playing them too. But if you guys are all cool with me just doing them here, that's probably what I'll end up doing.

I think as a Suikoden spinoff megathread, but only if Tierkreis is also covered.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Testekill posted:

I think as a Suikoden spinoff megathread, but only if Tierkreis is also covered.

For everything wrong with Tierkreis, you can't fault it for being short or lacking in content. It's way too long and involved to not be its own thread.

Ignoring that the real issues with Tierkreis is finding someone who both already played it and would want to play it again and in enough detail to LP it. That's a lot of Tierkreis.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Geddoe Chapter 3.1 - Lightning

Wow, feels like it's been a while. I've missed these guys.

We rejoin Geddoe and his band some time after we saw them last, as they cross the border into Zexen.

Ace stops to give Aila some advice now that they're at Brass Castle. Also, Aila has a new outfit! And a new portrait to go with it, actually.

: "Listen, Aila. Because of what happened back at Iksay Village, they might consider the Karaya Clan an enemy here. Try not to stand out too much."

I don't think it's a matter of "might," considering they kicked out all the Grasslanders on their land.

: "But these clothes... They're just so hard to move around in."

: "Aila, you're always complaining. Lighten up a little. Those clothes are Matilda imports, you know. They're expensive."

: "Really? I'm sorry. But I still prefer the clothes I had before."

: "Besides, this guy's holding all our money. Better to have him spend it on you than some useless woman. Look at it that way."

Queen cuts in to make Ace's life more difficult.

It's a task she does very well.

: "Okay, that's more like it."

:allears:

"These idiots."

: "There's someone I want to see."

: "Someone who can help us solve our puzzle?"

: "...."

Geddoe doesn't answer, and continues walking without a word. Something tells me that Geddoe doesn't need any help solving the puzzle anyway.

Not according to the letters you sent her, bud.

: "Ancient history? Like how long ago?"

: "Well, uh... um... a couple of months."

: "Uh huh. Who dumped whom?"

: " 'Ancient history'?! Pig!"

Jacques walks by, and Ace stops him before he can pass.

: "Well... I'm still pretty... new to... that sort of thing."

Jack keeps walking.

: "O-kay..."

He glances back at Queen and Aila, before sighing.

The castle is just a crossing point for us, so there's not actually too much to do.

I boost our skills a bit, though, since it had been a while.

Look at that beautiful S rank. It's so wonderful. :allears:

There's not much actually going on in the castle, though. A bunch of NPCs note that they haven't seen Chris lately, and some others mention Thomas' Castle, but it's mostly standard faire.

Moving on a bit through the castle, Geddoe comes to a stop in the middle of the road. A neat touch is that the others glance at him before trying to figure out what he's looking at.

This can only go well.

"This is like a bad joke. It may be a rebellion, but how many on the other side have ever wielded a sword before? What's worse, they don't have any real soldiers. We can't pit knights against a sorry enemy like that."

I think I managed to get the silliest looking frame of the dismount animation.

: "I see."

I'm just imagining that line said in the most smooth, even tone you have ever heard. As if he were making a comment on the weather.

"The sky is blue."

"We have to kill civilians."

Never would have expected any Zexen knights to be inside their castle, huh?

She reaches for a weapon.

But Jacques stops her.

: "Don't do it, Aila."

: "What?!"

: "I know what you're thinking. Just don't do it."

: "But... They killed my people... They're murderers!"

Actually, Percy wasn't even there.

: "With your skill, you should be able to take him out in one move. But you'll die too."

:3:

: "That's right. If you seek revenge, think of a better place to do it."

Give less fucks, take it from Geddoe.

Joker and Geddoe are a bit harder on Aila, but it's still sound advice. They're spies, they need to stay inconspicuous.

: "Easy for you to say."

This is an interesting line in regards to Geddoe. On the one hand, he is Harmonian and has no real affiliation with Grassland. On the other, we've seen that he has many Grassland friends, from Zepon to Jimba. And he was quite angry when Zepon was killed (especially considering his usual manner). But he remains calm and neutral.

Aila manages to calm herself, though, and the Knights pass without anything happening.

I'd just like to point out that this guy is a really cool guy. Throughout the game so far, he has been consistently kind towards Zexen and Grasslander alike, and that has not changed no matter who we've had talk to him. This isn't just some random NPC with changing dialogue, this is a guy with thoughts and opinions. Sure, he's not that fleshed out, but still. He as a lot of character for a throwaway dude you could go the whole game without talking to.

Actually, a lot of the NPCs are like this. The world-building-through-NPCs is pretty great in this game. In the whole series, really.

Nothing else of particular note happens through the rest of the castle, so let's continue into the forest.

We've got a new swarm of enemies this time around, and they're a series staple. Normally called the DoReMi Elves; they're known as Song Sprites in this game, and like to attack in huge groups and be giant dicks with weird moves.

Like, I seriously have no idea what the gently caress is going on in this attack. It's conducting at us or something? Conducting the most painful chorus in the universe?

It's not a particularly strong move, but it sure is weird.

They also have this song attack which does a surprising amount of damage to anyone not named Geddoe (About 80 - 100 to everyone else, about 10 - 20 to Geddoe). It also has a pretty good chance to silence whoever it hits, which is irritating.

They also have a pretty large HP pool, so in larger groups they can be pretty dangerous.

Augustine, I think you dropped this.

Onto some DoReMi Elves.

Um...

Well, we picked it up for you again anyway.

There're also crabs. Because apparently all Suikoden forests are inhabited by crabs.

Sometimes the little doofuses will team up with crabs. It can get a little dangerous.

Nothing else new to see, so let's get through here already.

And move onto Vinay.

: "We're back. Back in beautiful Vinay del Zexay."

: "You're so full of it."

: "Heh, give me a break."

Oh-ho! We finally learn that we've got a reason to be here!

: "I'll find out soon enough at the inn we usually frequent."

: "Well then, we should take it easy until this evening."

Good plan.

You know what my favorite part of this guy is?

Two separate people tell us to stay away from him. :allears:

:3: I need to draw Geddoe covered in cats.

Okay, let's get drunk.

Ace huffs, but after a nod from Joker, goes off to do that anyway.

Night time! Also, I hope you're ready for Jacques talking.

: "Who knows?"

: "He's probably chasing women somewhere. He's too much, that guy. Don't you think?"

: "... To each his own..."

: "You think?"

Hey Riou, do you want my carrots?

: "Oh, uh... Ace! Didn't see you there. Come have a drink with us."

: "Not now, thanks. I have to tend to something."

Ace proceeds to run outside. Like, actually run.

: "Something, or someone?"

Next, we get to look at what Geddoe's doing, and no, it's not talking to himself.

He's talking to question marks.

: "A cave in the north, right? I've been there on a survey before. You sure are careful, aren't you?"

???: "I apologize for that. Now, if you'll excuse me."

The person leaves.

: "......."

Meanwhile, the ladies.

: "Huh? But it's so good. You should've had some, too, Queen."

: "I'll pass. I'm not really into sweet stuff."

: "Yes. But it's still hard to swallow. According to surveillance, they're practically unarmed. What were they thinking at the Council meeting?"

Borus looks around and hesitates.

: "No...."

: "Let's go."

Aila, please don't be stupid.

She lunges at him with a dagger.

Borus catches her arm, though, and then restrains her.

He shoves her away. Not sure why.

Queen steps in beside Aila.

: "It's been a while. Look, we're not on a battlefield here, so how about we just go on our way?"

Queen smiles at him.

: "Looks like that kid has other ideas."

: "I'm not a kid! I'm Aila, of the Karaya Clan!"

: "Karaya? I see... From back then..."

: "Sir Borus, should I call for support and have them arrested?"

: "What?"

: "Don't be silly. How'd it look for a Zexen Knight to arrest some little girl who tried to pick a fight with him?"

: "But..."

He and the knight start to leave, but Borus hangs back a moment.

: "But, I have bad memories of what happened that night. I regret my immaturity, getting carried away in that battle."

Something was off that night. Even for the Swordsman of Rage.

: "Butcher!"

She yells after him.

But crumples a bit when she realizes that it didn't matter.

The next morning comes, and we find our group having a hung-over powwow in the bar.

Aila is off-screen to Jacques' side.

: "The cave in the north, huh?"

: "That's what I was told."

: "So, are we leaving right away?"

: "Yeah. Once we get everything ready, we'll head up there."

Yeah, no complaints, I guess we're ready.

Is it Ace?

It's Ace.

Before heading out, we buy a Wizard Hat for Geddoe. Shame that it means losing the Guardian Hat, but +1 rank in Lightning? Yes please. He can take the slight drop in defense and Lightning resistance for that.

Okay, let's get out of here.

:allears:

Welcome back, Ace.

North Cave, huh?

: "There's only one way to find out."

: "Ahhh! If that were the case, I'd be first in line."

: "Oh, brother! Why do men have such one-track minds?"

Never stop, guys. :allears: I'm gonna run out of emotes again, I just know it.

Anyway, we know how this place works by now.

There aren't any new enemies to speak of either, so let's cut to the chase.

The group walks pretty nonchalantly through, to a point.

Then, they all stop.

Take out their weapons.

And spread out.

Except Aila, who has no idea what's going on.

: "W-What?!"

: "We know you're there. Quit hiding and come out here."

: "Whoever you are, we're not here for a picnic."

: "Hmm. Well, we can pretty much figure out who it is."

Oh, hey, Duke. And company.

: "You won't find us wandering around wasting words on each other like you do."

: "It's not my fault you lack conversational skills."

These assholes. I love them.

The troupe is kind enough to wait for the other unit to come down for a chat. I guess better to take care of them here than have them tail us to whoever it is we're meeting.

: "That's rather rude of you, Geddoe. We're just working. Doing our job."

You sayin' we're not?

: "Working? You mean following us around?"

: "Why would we? You're not that interesting."

I loving love this conversation.

: "Oh, that."

Ace looks off to the side aloofly.

: "It seems you did get the message. Well, I never thought an upright fellow like you would ignore such an order."

: "I thought it was a joke, so I threw it away."

: "What?! That's insubordination!"

: "Special mission? Haven't heard anything about it."

: "To scout and stir up a riot in the High East. The goal was to revive the Highland Kingdom, but it didn't go very well."

: "Who do you think you're fooling? The High East Rebellion was over 3 years ago."

: "Yeah, but for some reason, there was never an order to end the mission, so we're still involved. So there!"

You're so full of poo poo. :allears: And so, ladies and gentlegoons, our intrepid heroes have thusly been farting around for the last 3 years instead of doing their work. And I love them.

: "How big of an idiot do you take me for? Don't think for one moment you can pull off that garbage. We'll drag you back to Caleria by force if we have to."

Geddoe cuts in.

He means business. Just look at all that initiative he's putting in.

: "How does a duel sound to you? This time you're not getting away!"

: "Fine, then. I guess I have no choice."

: "Ahhh, how long I've waited to hear those words, Geddoe. Are you ready? You can't make any more excuses!"

: "Come at me anytime."

: "At last! We finally get to settle this! Now we'll see who's number one in the defense force!"

: "All right then, let's see what you've got."

You know, for threatening to drag us all the way back to Caleria, he's surprisingly not that aggressive in this duel.

Also, Geddoe's HP is low because I forgot there was a duel coming up and didn't heal beforehand. I don't think I've ever seen him deathblow in it.

Well, that won't stop me from doing it.

I let him hit me once before taking him down. Out of respect. It takes a certain kind of person to chase a rival half-way across the map and straight through different countries.

: "You still want to go at it, Duke?"

He sits up, but Geddoe trashed him well enough that he's not feeling the whole standing thing.

Duel now officially over, his companions jog to his side.

: "Are you all right, Duke? You're pushing yourself way too hard."

: "I... I'm fine. It's nothing..."

Gau helps him get off the ground, letting his leader use him for support.

: "I'm impressed, Geddoe. But this isn't the end of it. I'm going to keep coming after you until I win!"

I really want to know what kind of crazy shenanigan sparked a rivalry this intense between the two of them.

: "I'll be waiting, Duke."

: "I'll tell you one thing."

: "I'm not really sure what he's up to."

Interesting. I don't suppose you could leak a little more to us, buddy?

: "Well, I suppose we'd better pull out of here, Duke."

: "I suppose..."

They start to hobble off.

: "Serves you right, Duke."

Impressive, Gau didn't even let go of Duke.

Without another word from either party, Duke and his troupe leave for the exit. Ace waits until they're gone before one final quip.

: "Oooooh, I'm so scared!"

We, on other hand, head to the back of the mines.

Aila runs ahead to get a look at the view.

: "That's strange. Was there a ship there?"

Suddenly, some guests arrive.

: "I've been waiting for you, Geddoe."

: "You're...!"

: "You're an ironhead!"

She runs at him, but Jacques cuts her off.

: "Ironhead? Oh, yes. I am indeed the Zexen Knight Salome. But who is this little girl?"

: "She's..."

Aila pushes past Jacques, who drops his arm.

: "Aila, of the Karaya Clan! I'll never forgive you for what you did to my village! You burned it to the ground!"

: "That was very unfortunate."

: "The whole thing... was a plan gone sour."

: "What plan?"

Wyatt?

: "Tell me about the plan!"

Salome takes a deep breath, but concedes.

: "There were those who were not in favor of the armistice between Grassland and Zexen. Just prior to the treaty being signed, the chief of the Lizard Clan was assassinated and thus, the whole thing turned ugly."

I think this is the first time I've seen Louis get angry.

Could this possibly be the "wait, something's not right here" moment that had been asked for in the thread?

: "Among the enemy is someone who possesses powerful magic. The power to create illusions."

: "Are you saying what we saw wasn't real? I've never heard of such magic."

: "What is that, Jacques?"

: "The knights we saw at the Lizard Clan didn't make any sounds when they walked. No footsteps."

: "Come to think of it, you said that at the time. So those knights weren't real? The pain we felt when we fought them sure was."

: "After that, the Lizard Clan was in upheaval, and... it shames me to admit this, but... our knights went on a rampage against the Karaya Clan..."

: "Then, that woman... That sorceress was responsible..."

: "Not just the sorceress we saw near Karaya village, but also the masked bishop. I'm starting to get the picture."

: "Geddoe... I am sure that you were aware of all this."

: "Tell me something new, Salome."

: "If that happens, Grassland as we know it will be conquered in the blink of an eye."

: "And then we have the Zexens."

: "Yes. Harmonia probably considers us, the Zexen Federation, with our mere few decades of independence, as no more than an offshoot of a Grassland tribe. However, within the Council are people who are pushing us to make a secret pact with Harmonia, with the aim of splitting up Grassland between Harmonia and Zexen."

: "Hm. Powerful people are all like that. The greater their power, the narrower their vision."

: "Not everyone on the Council is that way, but more and more members are being swayed. We can't allow anyone anywhere to scheme up wars for their own selfish reasons. First, I'll ask the pro-Harmonian faction within the Council to push for a treaty with Grassland. Then we'll join forces with other Harmonian troops to resist the warmongers."

: "Okay, so what do you want us to do?"

An excellent question.

: "Come with me..."

He leads us to the landing outside.

: "Yeah, where that ship ran aground?"

: "Yes. The master of that castle has mounted a rebellion, and we Knights have been sent in to suppress it."

: "You want us to help with that?"

: "What do you mean?"

Salome hesitates. He was probably hoping they'd just do him the favor. I don't think he much likes revealing his plans, especially when they're still rough and being told to a group of people who are affiliated with a country probably looking to invade his own.

But there must have been a reason he turned to Geddoe's unit for this, so he proceeds to elaborate.

: "Thomas, the master of that castle, has created a free trading area within its walls for Zexen and Grassland merchants. Unfortunately, the Council sees this as a form of rebellion. Of course, it is those Councilors seeking the pact with Harmonia who are accusing Thomas wrongfully."

: If they're not able to stop a rebellion at such a small castle..."

: "The power structure within the Council will likely change."

: "I see."

: "But we're mercenaries who work for Harmonia."

: "If Grassland dissappears, there'll be no further need for a Frontier Defense Force."

Ouch. Right in the liquor funds.

: "I wouldn't be too happy about that."

Salome and Louis leave.

: "You're pretty well known. There's the Lizard Clan chief, the Karaya Clan chief, and now even one of the Six Mighty Knights of Zexen."

You can do a lot of adventuring in 35-ish years. He's like 35, right?

: "Uh... Right..."

Ace heads back to the others, with Aila lingering behind.

: "This plot... I don't understand what it means."

The game dumps us outside of the cave for a few last lines, which is excellent, because I really don't like running in spirals.

: "I've thought about what we should do. I'll go back to Vinay del Zexay to get our supplies."

: "Sure, and to flirt with more women."

Not now, boys.

Onward! To Thomas' Castle!

We come in right in the middle of a familiar cutscene.

: "Cecile..."

: "Get this straight: You'll never take Thomas away! Never! NEVER!!!"

"I'm sorry, but you'll have to get out of my way. As a member of the Zexen Federation, you should know that it's your job to obey orders."

: "I don't care what you say! I'm--I'm--the commander of the guards, appointed by Thomas! So--So... Thomas--Thomas--"

: "Thank you, Cecile, but I'm no longer the master of this castle. So you don't have to protect me anymore."

Aha, I see where we fit in now.

Eavesdropping behind a shop, that's where.

: "There's Leo and Percival, two of the Six Mighty Zexen Knights. That youth over there seems to be Thomas, the master of the castle. I think he's being dismissed."

: "The plot that Salome mentioned hasn't been carried out yet, right? A greedy power game is being played out in the Council. There's no telling how it'll go."

: "Hey! Something's happening!"

: "I'm one of the Six Mighty Zexen Knights, you know!"

: "Cram it! I am Juan, Bujutsu master of Budehuc Castle, and your talk doesn't scare me!"

: "..."

: "Please, please... no more squabbling! If everyone would be so kind as to leave, we'll determine our future ourselves."

: "Huh?"

: "Just leave, before things get ugly."

"Leo, what say you to going back and telling them that Thomas is determined to stay here?"

: "But..."

"If you keep swinging your axe around here, you'll only make things worse."

: "I suppose..."

Sorry for skimping on images of that squabble, but you've seen it already.

: "That Thomas boy has a lot of guts! He'll make quite a man someday."

: "Hmm, I don't know. I think he gave up too easily."

: "Until we succeed in carrying out Salome's plan, we'll just have to buy as much time as we can."

: "Yeah. That doesn't mean we can get directly involved in this, either."

: "If you're so worried about being found out, shut up already! Those knights are coming."

Ace turns back to look.

Already gone.

Hehe.

Ace runs off in the nick of time.

: "We still serve the Council, Percival. Sometimes we have to do things we don't like."

"And sometimes you need to bend a little, Leo. I think Salome is up to something! We should keep an eye on everyone. You never know when someone working for the Council may do something stupid."

: "I'm not very experienced with this kind of thing."

"There's no doubt you're much better suited to wielding an axe!"

So the knights are out of the loop, but onto Salome's shenanigans. They know something is up, even if they don't know what.

: "Interesting."

: "We'll keep our eyes peeled as we go in."

I like how they spit us out in the same corner they were lurking in.

Well, let's take care of some errands while we're in the area.

First, everyone's weapon gets a nice spit-shine. They were all at level 9 weapons, and that was bad. Now they are all at 12, because what else am I going to spend money on?

New doghouse for Koroku. This one matches his little backpack pretty well.

Barts has some tomatoes we can nab if we want.

Also, we change up the menu at the restaurant now that we have more recipes and a seasoning, so I guess it's time I explained that a bit better.

You get a base recipe for a food, which can then be modified using different seasonings. For example, our Crab Rice Bowl becomes Curry Rice when you add Red Pepper. I can't remember for the life of me when and where we picked up the Red Pepper, but whatever. Curry Rice is great. The other stuff is better now that it's seasoned as well, but that's the best on the menu right now.

No new articles, but somehow we missed a whole bunch of Erk's Adventures, so lemme just post them here. We're now on episode 14.

Newspaper posted:

Erk's Adventures (9) posted:

Many needles came out of the wall. 'drat you needles!' Erk grabbed the needles, and with his enormous strength, put them back in the wall.
'Erk, you're really strong. You're great.'
'Yeah, I have tremendous strength.' Erk was relieved, but suddenly a monster came out from the back of the ruins! To be continued...

Erk's Adventures (10) posted:

From the back of the ruins, a gigantic and strong-looking monster came walking towards them. 'Erk! It's a monster!' Marine was surprised, but Erk stood in its way.
'I haven't seen you for a long time, Monster Baker. I came to get rid of you.' The monster looked down at Erk. Erk in danger!

Erk's Adventures (11) posted:

'Die!' said Baker and knocked Erk out! 'Ouch!' Erk blew away. 'Ha ha ha!' Baker laughed heartily, shaking its body.
'Pull yourself together!' Marine said, and then Baker drew nearer to Marine! Marine in danger!

Erk's Adventures (12) posted:

Baker, the monster, attacked Marine. Then Baker chopped Marine's head with its steel arm. 'Steel knockdown blow!'
'Ah!' Marine fell down.
'Maaarrriiine!' cried Erk. Blood gushed from Marine's head. Marine in danger!

Erk's Adventures (13) posted:

Blood gushed from Marine's head, beaten by the steel arm. 'Ah, I'm going to die.' 'You won't die just because your head cracked,' said Erk.
'I love you, Erk.'
'I love you, too.' Then Marine died. 'Maaarrriiine!' Said Erk. To be continued...

Erk's Adventures (14) posted:

Marine died from Baker's attack. Baker laughed heartily and said 'Ha ha ha! Frustrated, Erk?' 'Maaarrriiiine!' 'Cry, Erk, cry!'
'Dammit, Baker! I'll avenge her! I'll avenge her!' Erk attacked Baker. To be continued...
This season's cleaners
Augustine
Thomas
Eike

Ducks. :3:

: "A library, huh? Who would've thought I'd see this in such a run-down old fort?"

: "Must be such an unfamiliar sight to you."

: "What? Me?! I may not look it, but I do read a lot."

: "Hm. Cheap adventure novels don't count."

: "You think you're so smart..."

: "I've been here... all along..."

:stare:

: "This guy's got no aura. ... It's weird! It's like he's not human."

Wow, rude.

Eike walks back to the desk silently.

: "We didn't mean to disturb you."

: "It's okay... This is everyone's library..."

:ducksiren:

Ace and Queen lunge for Eike, stopping their blades at an unfriendly distance from his squishy librarian bits (read: his everything).

: "How do you know his name?"

Geddoe is visibly bothered by this fact, but still acts calm.

: "To better protect this castle, I checked many ancient texts. I found something explaining why this became common land... as well as the reason for the war between Zexen and Grassland."

: "So that's how you knew my name?"

: "....... Yes."

Geddoe sighs.

: "That's some memory you have."

Ace and Queen sheath their blades.

She looks so coy.

: "It's okay... It doesn't bother me."

Well, that was.... something. That was sure something.

They stop at the bottom of the stairs. Also, a stretching animation. I like it.

: "The battle is set for tomorrow. Go find a room somewhere and get some rest."

: "Yeah, the soldiers seem pretty busy with their preparations, but they might be coming back soon."

: "There out to be plenty of empty rooms in this place. We just have to avoid being discovered."

: "Then we'd better quickly find a place to hide. Any ideas?"

: "Find something quickly. I wouldn't waste time trying to find a feather bed or a down pillow around here."

: "No way! Who needs all that pampering anyway?"

That night,

Geddoe sits alone at the tavern-room in the castle.

: "Captain."

Geddoe turns his head a bit to see Joker standing by the door.

: "Where's everyone else?"

: "Aila and them are asleep. Right now, Jacques is keeping watch."

: "Hm."

Silence.

Finally, Joker speaks up.

: "I remember sneaking into Grassland by myself long ago. This castle looks pretty much the same as it did then, only more weathered."

: "I don't know when it was made, but something baffles me."

When Geddoe speaks, it is slow, but clear.

: "I was on the Grassland side. He was on the Zexen side. This is where Jimba and I said farewell to a man we considered a true friend."

He stands, and walks to the window.

: "That's also what our good friend desired."

Instead of an answer, Geddoe looks to his right hand, which glows.

: "Th-That's...!"

: "Then, your friend is the Flame Champion, Iroh?"

: "Yes... But he disappeared. I've continued to postpone my demise by holding onto this Rune. Here -- in my right hand."

Joker looks to the ceiling, trying to find words.

: "I'm sorry, Wang."

: "It's been a while since I've been called that."

The scene fades.

: "Everything's okay. They're all gathering around the entrance to the castle."

: "I guess we'd better get going, then."

So, Geddoe has a True Rune.

He's had it since before the game began. Long before the game began. Longer than Iroh, longer than "Jimba." We just didn't know it.

But now that we do?

:getin:

Next time, we help out Thomas and I'll show you the kind of damage we can deal with Geddoe's shiny new (old) rune.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

There's different dialogue, instead of "How could this happen?" if you beat him with full health. or without getting hit. I'm not sure what the game tracks. You would think it's not getting hit, but you never know with this game...

code:
Geddoe: Maybe now you'll understand, Duke.
Duke: drat!  I couldn't even touch you!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:ducksiren:

Geddoe's chapters are the best.
So much competence he already has a True rune since before the entire thing started.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I can't help but laugh at Aila's new outfit.

Mostly because it looks like something out of the real world and not from a JRPG world. Granted, Geddoe's entire group looks reasonably dressed, but still have a few fantasy touches to their costume design here and there. Aila? She looks like Queen raided Macy's or Old Navy for that outfit.

Also, :stare: at the big revelation today.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

yokaiy posted:

:3: I need to draw Geddoe covered in cats.

Only if every cat except one is competing with him to have the most disinterested expression.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Oh man these spies are so cool! And funny. And competent. And just great all around.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Only if every cat except one is competing with him to have the most disinterested expression.

Also, I second this notion but it might cause a fatal case of :3:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

If we can get Sonya Cat involved then I'm all for it.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
You actually get to use the True Lightning Rune?

A lesser game would've just said 'oh you have it, but you only get to play with this normal Lightning Rune instead'. Dayum.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

It is getting dangerously close to Go Time

But yeah, Hammer of Raijin is beastly.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

e. i guess we're not there yet

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
God, I love True Lightning. Soaring Bolt as a level ONE spell? Get the gently caress IN, bitch.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

GulagDolls posted:

There's different dialogue, instead of "How could this happen?" if you beat him with full health. or without getting hit. I'm not sure what the game tracks. You would think it's not getting hit, but you never know with this game...

code:
Geddoe: Maybe now you'll understand, Duke.
Duke: drat!  I couldn't even touch you!

Oh, yeah. I think I remember getting those lines before; it sounds really familiar. I think the flag is whether or not you get hit, because I am really bad at healing up before duels, even when I do know they're coming.

AradoBalanga posted:

:stare: at the big revelation today.

The biggest revelation of the day: Geddoe smells like cats.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

SweaterGear posted:

Also, I second this notion but it might cause a fatal case of :3:

Well, then.

I actually kinda wanted to draw all the cats as representation of his party, and then Duke gnawing on him like "pay attention to me, rear end in a top hat!", but I'm tired, so generic cats instead.

booksnake posted:

A lesser game would've just said 'oh you have it, but you only get to play with this normal Lightning Rune instead'. Dayum.

Yes, we get to use it. And Geddoe's nuke-y-ness has now gotten even greater than it already was.

Bufuman posted:

God, I love True Lightning. Soaring Bolt as a level ONE spell? Get the gently caress IN, bitch.

Seven casts.

Testekill posted:

It is getting dangerously close to Go Time

I am so incredibly ready for Go Time. I have been waiting for Go Time for so long now. :haw:

I've been waiting for this update for a really long time too. Basically, I'm really excited right now, and I hope I can get the rest of his chapter out quickly so we can get to Go Time faster.

Also, can we appreciate for a moment that Geddoe decided to hide his rune from Harmonia, the colossal kingdom hellbent on obtaining every True Rune for themselves or their immediate allies, by joining the Harmonian army? (Well, mercenary units, but the point stands.) I mean, I know that hiding right under their noses was a smart plan -- "If you want to hide a tree" and all that -- but still. The amount of things that could have gone wrong for him are astounding. And then he even became captain of his unit of spies, and holds some power as a respected soldier in the eyes of those in Caleria. All while keeping his identity mostly under-wraps. He's done pretty well for himself.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 14, 2014

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

booksnake posted:

Wellll. We know that Iroh had the True Fire Rune, and the previous Chris chapter tells us that her father, Wyatt, possessed the True Water Rune. We've met Sasarai, who if you've played Suikoden II you might remember has the True Earth Rune. And now Geddoe has the True Lightning Rune. To this point, we haven't had a hero's Rune pop up (in the way Tir has the Soul Eater and Riou has the Bright Shield), but at this point we can surmise that, since the game's been holding out on True Runes, instead it's going to give us a BUNCH of them to play with.

So baaaaasically... :getin:

Also: gently caress yeah Wizard Hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

when your powers combine, i am captain rune!!! aaaaa!

• Locked thread