Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

yokaiy posted:

Apologies for the quality of that second one, by the way. Apparently no one else on the internet has a picture of her alternate-outfit artwork. I happened to have it in a mini art book, so I just took a picture of it with my phone. Might go back and scan it later so it looks better. Anyway!

Regarding her first outfit, there's not too much to say that I haven't already said about Karayan clothes. She does sport a lot more brown and black than the other Karayans, and her outfit is actually one of the simplest in the village, aside from those purple stones. She is also the only other Karayan we get aside from Hugo that has warmer tones in her outfit, which goes along with her rash nature. Her outfit is designed to be lightweight and allow her to run around without anything getting in her way. Again, I appreciate how modestly dressed she is.

Her second outfit is essentially very similar to her old one, just with a less Grasslander-y feel to it. She's swapped out her warm tones for a lot of neutral coloring, and gotten rid of all her jewelry but her earrings, so that she'd look more like a normal girl you'd find in other cultures. That she's using pink instead of fiery reds and oranges shows that she's calmed down a bit since we first met her (or is trying to, at least.)
Did she get rid of her Karayan perma-bangles in the new outfit? I don't see them on her character model. Doesn't seem like that'd be a small change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Her new outfit looks pretty...modern. I like it, though.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Suikoden has always been a little weird about how it sprinkles little bits of modern aesthetics into casts full of mostly medieval fantasy character designs, and Geddoe's unit is a great example of how that can actually work pretty well. They all look totally normal in their setting, even with little details like Ace's combat fatigues, Aila's sweater, or Queen's tunic, all of which also look like they could fit in anywhere between the 19th and 21st centuries. I guess Freed Y was probably the best example of that in the previous game.

Of course, Suikoden III is also the game with Kenji in it, so there are ups and downs. :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Speedball posted:

Her new outfit looks pretty...modern. I like it, though.

You could stick her in a Persona game and she wouldn't stand out.

She would be the Star Arcana social link.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
I've always thought that Aila's alternate outfit has a look, how to say that, too modern. Eveything seem coming from an '80-'90 fashion store, expecially the pleated miniskirt and the pink bomber with a zipper; in fact, a similar outfit would't seem out of place along the roads of a modern city.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
That's just the aesthetic as far as I can tell for Harmonia. Most everything out of Harmonia is some degree of quasi-modern, since they're so 'advanced'.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

The 12th Unit look like they'd be right at home in a hypothetical fantasy Metal Gear Solid game. They even have a silly naming scheme.

"TRUE RUNES, son."

I'd play it. :shepspends:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

The 12th Unit look like they'd be right at home in a hypothetical fantasy Metal Gear Solid game. They even have a silly naming scheme.
-->Listen to a genetic clone of yourself rant and ramble while being a giant ham.
-->Eh.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I swear it was a SomethingAwful comedy goldmine article that had a photoshopped window of Chris talking to Dupa.

Dupa: "You have insulted me and my kind for the last time, human!"

---> (Option) "I'm sorry sir. We can still work this out if we try to understand each other."
---> (Option) *Rip out his still-beating heart and show it to him*

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AradoBalanga posted:

-->Listen to a genetic clone of yourself rant and ramble while being a giant ham.
-->Eh.

: You're a pretty crap clone.

: *general sounds of agreement*

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

PFlats posted:

Did she get rid of her Karayan perma-bangles in the new outfit? I don't see them on her character model. Doesn't seem like that'd be a small change.

They're kinda small compared to some of the others, it's possible that she had them under her sleeves. At the very least, she kept them with her, as she is actually back in her old outfit for the moment.

Fister Roboto posted:

mauman posted:

I would buy this game :shepspends:

Elite posted:

"TRUE RUNES, son."

I'd play it. :shepspends:

AradoBalanga posted:

-->Eh.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

: You're a pretty crap clone.

: *general sounds of agreement*

I'd buy that. :v:

mauman posted:

I've always thought of Aila as a Support mage who happened to have a bow rather than an archer/sniper. She might not be the best support mage in the game, but she does a good enough job in the team she's in (with an added bonus of NOT running into combat if she decides to not cast spells).

There's actually a fair amount of job overlap in the team -- Aila and Queen are both decent support mages (and Joker can be a pretty good healer if you give him a water rune), Aila and Jacques are both good snipers, Queen and Ace and Joker (and Geddoe, actually) are all good combat units, Geddoe and Joker are both good offensive mages, and Ace and Joker are both good "super-heavy-hit-but-stunned-next-turn" fighters. Which is actually part of what makes them work so well together, since they can pick up each others slack and do whatever needs doing when it needs to happen.

Bufuman posted:

Interesting commentary. Aila's second pic looks fine to me. Though you might want to find a bigger picture of Queen, it's kind of hard to make out the finer details of her outfit. Jacques' pic could probably stand to be a tad bigger too.

Yeah, I will probably get on that. Excepting the Aila alternate, I just grabbed them from the suikoden wiki, which is kind of all over the place with picture quality.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

yokaiy posted:

Yeah, I will probably get on that. Excepting the Aila alternate, I just grabbed them from the suikoden wiki, which is kind of all over the place with picture quality.

You could also try SuikoSource which has an extensive character listing. I can't guarantee that it'll have better art, but it did at least seem to have a better image of Queen.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Or CreativeUncut, which has the characters full body art. I'm not sure that they allow direct linking though.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

yokaiy posted:

There's actually a fair amount of job overlap in the team -- Aila and Queen are both decent support mages (and Joker can be a pretty good healer if you give him a water rune), Aila and Jacques are both good snipers, Queen and Ace and Joker (and Geddoe, actually) are all good combat units, Geddoe and Joker are both good offensive mages, and Ace and Joker are both good "super-heavy-hit-but-stunned-next-turn" fighters. Which is actually part of what makes them work so well together, since they can pick up each others slack and do whatever needs doing when it needs to happen.

Eventually, yes. But for the longest time, Aila is really your only support mage on team Geddoe (and for that matter, your only healer). Queen has decide between being a better fighter and being a support mage because of her lack of open rune slots. Joker doesn't get another rune slot for a VERY long time, and to take water you must give up Pale Rune on him (not that this is a big sacrifice, he's kinda slow with the pale rune).

And ultimately, the other two don't bring earth or shield magic to the table, which are (in my opinion) the best support magics (outside of the weird yet effective ones like chant).

Note that I said earth and shield are the best SUPPORT, not healing magics (I differentiate the two). Shield just happens to be a healing magic as well. I'm not stupid, I know water is the best at healing :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 29, 2014

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chapter 4.7 - Water

The thread has spoken, and so our party for the end of this chapter is Hugo, Viki, Bright, Futch, Emily, and Lilly, with Tuta slapping bandaids on whoever gets hurt after each battle.

All-in-all, this is a really good party. Absolutely no in-battle healing capacity at all (Hugo's got a Wind Rune but that's it), but still a really good party.

Ignore Viki's HP here, I took her out for a test run with her counterpart. Speaking of which.

Double Viki's nets us a unite attack called "Set!" Exclamation point and everything. It requires them to be in the same pair.

It involves them dropping objects on an enemy of varying sizes and weights.

Wait--

Oops!

:allears:

It's actually poo poo, but it's also amazing.

Anyway, back at the castle with the proper party. Peggi will take that hammer we found last update, and with it, make all our poo poo better.

Naturally, I bump everyone's weapon level up to 15, excepting Viki who shouldn't be physically attacking anyway and Bright who doesn't have a weapon.

While I'm here, some skill buffs happen. They actually happen a couple times, for reasons I'll get to in a moment, so here are the final skill levels for the chapter. (This also explains the formation changes and level jump. These aren't the final levels though.)

Those reasons are directly tied to that Pale Gate Rune.

I couldn't get Emily's swing all the way up to S during the chapter, unfortunately, but she's still some kind of crazy punch god. Also, I gave her a Killer Rune, because she wasn't ridiculous enough already.

You know, I was actually worried about Lilly being a dead weight in this party, but she actually rounds out pretty nicely. I got rid of her Magic Sword Whatever skill since it was a waste, and focused on making her more battle-ready. When the vote first ended, I thought about making her my emergency healer, but it's really not worth sinking water magic into her. Really, the only viable healer here is Viki, but if she's healing, she's not doing what I need her to do. So, no healers.

Ignoring the level and formation jumps again, Bright is actually pretty boring. He's great, but there's not much I can do with him, so I only messed with his skills in the beginning.

Same with Futch. I think I might have messed with his Lightning Magic skill for the hell of it, but yeah. Not much to work with. I still love them both though.

Before we head out again, here are the letters I got during this update. (I got the ones in quote blocks either a little later or in the alternate runs. I was running back and forth a lot in all three versions.)

Estella posted:

Do you know?
To improve earth magic, the best way to train is to be covered with sand up to your neck.

Anne posted:

How are you?
I'm getting used to life at the castle. There are regular customers at the tavern, and everything is fine.

Her regulars are probably Geddoe's crew.

Mamie posted:

Please eat fast
Now, about my food: if you let it sit, it'll go bad. Please eat it quickly.

Actual game mechanic there. Food items will go bad after a while. I think Jacques has had tomato juice or something since the beginning of this LP, and it is probably awful now.

Rody posted:

Greetings
Don't you think my master is great? She'll be a real help! Soon I'd like to be half as skilled. Difficult...

No, Rody. You poor, gullible child.

Viki posted:

Hello
Hello Thomas. It's a nice castle.

Martha posted:

Stingy
The special prizes at Vinay del Zexay are books and statues. Stingy. Can't they be more generous, like we are?

Eike posted:

Dear Hugo
I hope you are well. Thank you for your consideration. I apologize for my presumption, but the reason why I am writing...

He runs out of room or something. That's all there is.

Aila posted:

Soda
Serve me a lot of soda. Why don't you have some too, Hugo? It's great.

Twaikin posted:

Digging a hole
Hi! Isn't there a good place?

Mike posted:

Hello
Hi. Nothing to say in particular. I just wanted to say hello. See you.

Apple posted:

Nice to meet you
Caesar is still a child. He might be a nuisance, but please take care of him. If there's a problem, please tell me.

Anyway, we head to the North Cavern for two things.

Starting with this dog behind these barrels.

:
>Adopt at Thomas Castle.
>Do nothing.
>Chase away.

: "Woof, woof, woof..."

There's one down.

In addition to Koroku, we get a couple more optional dogs we can adopt. While Koroku is a star, the others are not, so you don't have to recruit them if you don't want to, or if you like leaving dogs out in the middle of monster-infested caves to fend for themselves, you monster.

Also, you have to get them in order, and it's an order that makes a lot more sense in Japanese.

Koichi > ichi > one

The other reason we're here is because, at her starting level of 44, Viki (big) can't equip the Pale Gate Rune. It's a super great rune, so it can only be equipped in the head slot, which she unlocks at 46. Interestingly, Little Viki starts at a higher level, and can use the rune from the get-go. Much as I don't really like the North Cavern, it's short and sweet and has a treasure boss, not to mention I had to go there anyway, so I stuck around there for the express purpose of getting her up to level 46.

The enemies aren't too exciting so I'll skip them for now.

Suffice it to say,

There are zombie unicorns, which sound way cooler than they end up being. Nothing else new or exciting.

Except this guy, the new treasure boss for the area (and a couple others).

Holy poo poo, he's huge.

So, this is the Ghost Knight. He's kinda cool, and can be a little dangerous, but not too difficult. However, he's a good excuse to show off our new party members while we're here.

We'll start with Bright and Futch.

When mounted, the two of them get a double attack similar to Hugo/Fubar.

It's hard to tell from this cap, but Bright shoots a fireball at the Knight for the first part of their attack. I'll see if I can't get a better picture little later.

He and Futch then fly over to the enemy.

And Futch follows up with his sword.

Their two-part attack is simultaneously amazing and incredibly annoying. It will pretty much always do ridiculous damage (in the ballpark of 400 - 800 damage for a normal hit), which is great -- for reference, their normal attacks will easily do 2-3x the damage of everyone else, and quite possibly more, even accounting for others getting criticals -- however, Bright/Futch will always fly over to where the enemy is/was after the first shot. Even if it dies. Even if it's death ends the battle. You've still gotta wait for their slow asses to get where they're going for the battle to end. Not a major gripe, but it can get annoying against easier foes.

If they're close enough to the enemy already, they'll skip the flying bit, at least.

Emily's thing is to punch and kick things. A lot. Depending on how quickly she can get over to her opponent, at the swing level she's at, she'll hit between 2 and 6 times per round. Many of her attacks will crit. She's great.

Basically the only thing Hugo has over her is better accuracy and Continual Attack. Emily will whiff more than I'd like, and without Continual Attack, she'll usually just stop after she misses. Hugo, on the other hand, can continue his attack even after he misses, and he'll miss a lot less anyway. She'll usually out-damage him though.

It's been a while since we've seen Lilly, so let me put it this way.

Holy poo poo, this woman is some kind of battle god. She'll only hit twice at the most, but I'm pretty sure she was out-criticalling everyone else put together. I don't even know how she manages it.

We'll save Viki for later. Rest assured, she'll do absolutely nothing until we get to the boss battle at the end of this update. Actually, that's a lie. She will boop exactly one enemy on the head with her staff between now and the end, and it will be exactly as effective as you can imagine.

But that's okay. We don't pay her for her physical prowess. We pay her for her magic and defensive capabilities.

"Defensive capabilities?" You may ask.

And I will answer.

Yes. :colbert:

Anyway, this weird robot centaur man has two attacks to note. He might also have a regular attack, but he never used it.

First, he's got this cool magic attack. He starts off with a glowing ball on the tip of his lance.

He then throws it off into the distance.

Where it explodes, raining down weird blue lights upon the whole party.

It kinda hurts a lot. Don't forget that Futch and Bright share damage when they're a combo unit; it would do a lot more against them individually.

Viki gives no fucks though.

He's also got a wind-slash attack that will hit targets in a line.

He manages to take down Hugo, but then blows up when Emily punches him in the hoof too hard.

We get some loot for our troubles. Not pictured, some armor and a couple medicines.

More importantly, that level Viki got in the process unlocks her third rune slot.

It's at this point that I stuck the Pale Gate on Viki, and the Killer on Emily because why not.

(Killer Runes increase crit chance.)

To the Great Hollow, for plot and dogs!

A couple steps in,

And we trip a scene.

Hi, Jimba. Where ya goin'?

: "That looked like Jimba to me."

: "This is worrisome. It's odd he'd be in such a place."

: "Kuuee!"

: "Shouldn't we follow him? You never know what me might find."

Yeah, in a minute.

Deep in the caves on the way to where we fought against "Chris" as Geddoe, we find another dog.

:
>Adopt at Thomas Castle.
>Do nothing.
>Chase away.

: "Wuff."

Second dog.

Connie > ni > two

And I'm just gonna grab the third dog while we're at it. To Mt. Senai!

This area was a dead end last time we were here, but now it has a conspicuously placed dog.

That is not a good place for a dog!!

:
>Adopt at Thomas Castle.
>Do nothing.
>Chase away.

Somehow, Kosanji scrambles up the cliffside.

"Oooo...."

Kosanji > san > three

Okay, we gotta actually do some more of the plot before we can get the next (and final) dog.

That brings us back to the Highway, where Jimba ran off to.

On the way, I run into the rare encounter of the area. I actually don't think I've ever run into it here before -- there's not much runway to do so. The Nemesis is pretty cool looking, and it's kind of appropriate that we're fighting a hulking ice bishop here, for reasons you'll have to wait to see. It's also the treasure boss of a few areas at this point in the game.

His skeleton companions are mostly throw-away enemies (and are crowding the rest of the encounters here, along with those weird pillar-things, the Malifaux), but they're capable of casting fire magic if you let them.

It's an AoE spell, so it's a little annoying. I somehow completely missed capping the damage, but seeing as no one was slouching after, I don't think it was very damaging.

The Nemesis, however, likes to cast lightning magic instead, which is always better.

Well. I mean, he's no Geddoe, but I guess that's pretty alright.

On a more interesting note.

He's also got this ice attack.

Never mind, it's kind of crappy. Looks cool, though.

Emily punches it in the butt and then it dies.

Oh, hey, a cutscene.

Oh, poo poo. What are they doing here?

No, wait, I'm not surprised. Where is Jimba? We should find him quickly.

: "Yuber!"

The masked man approaches the door calmly.

: "Don't worry. We should be fine now that the True Fire Rune has been unsealed. There's also the reemergence of the True Lightning Rune and the breaking of the seal kept by Alma Kinan to help us along."

: "drat! Not him again!"

The entire cavern begins to quake.

: "Dear me. What could it be?"

Well, this looks bad.

He walks through.

: "Finally, the first one."

: "At last."

The others follow in suit.

An excellent question.

While my first choice would be to follow after them immediately, there's actually a pair of missable cutscenes we're gonna go see first.

Back at Thomas' Castle...

A very eager Cecile calls Hugo over.

: "The Flame Champion is back!! Please, Hugo, hurry up and come over here!"

: "A message has arrived from the Lizard Clan, so everyone is gathered in the hall! They were looking for you too, Hugo. Please join them right away!"

That seems reasonable.

Hey, guys. What's up?

: "Perfect timing, Hugo."

: "What's going on?"

: "Good to see you back, Hugo. We received a message from Jimba."

: "So the message is authentic."

: "What about it?"

: "The problem is how to interpret it: apparently now that the True Fire Rune has been unleashed, the same is about to happen to the True Water Rune. The Rune is at the Ruins of Cyndar at the end of the highway."

Remember, this is suspicious information because, at this point, the only ones who know that Jimba has the True Water Rune, aside from the player, are Geddoe, Joker (who doesn't actually know what he looks like), Lucia, and Luce (I assume she's in on it as she was posing as his mother). Salome might also know he has it, given Jimba/Wyatt was leaking information to him, but it's also possible that he only knows that the two are the same person, not that he has the rune. Chris knows that her father has it, but she still doesn't know that Wyatt and Jimba are the same person.

: "As a national policy, Holy Harmonia is collecting the True Runes. This latest movement must be a part of that effort."

Harmonia's foreign policy: crush everything and take their True Runes.

Seems like a good policy.

: "The 27 True Runes give immortality and strong power to their bearers. I have seen that power executed once. Its effect is beyond imagination. A human should never be allowed to use it."

Lucia was there for the whole Beast Rune shenanigan in Suikoden II, where it ate a lot of people and was generally violent and madness-inducing.

There's no reason that the True Water Rune couldn't prove equally as disastrous if something went wrong when they inevitably try to take it from Jimba.

: "Hugo, take our best men and get to the highway at once. We'll be right behind you. If this involves a True Rune, your True Fire Rune might come in handy."

Here's what they say standing around.

: "Noble Hugo, the Ruins of Cyndar can be like a labyrinth at times. Take care not to get lost."

: "I'm counting on you Hugo. I'll go with you if it's necessary."

I don't think I could bring you even if the thread had voted for it.

I dunno, I just like Caesar's pose here.

: "The True Water Rune? I just hope the True Fire Rune proves useful."

: "Head for the highway immediately. It's just beyond the Cyndar gate."

A couple of our friends have things to say about us heading there, but they're mostly not worth showing off -- just a lot of flavor text. I appreciate the effort, but if I showed off every single one, we'd be here all day.

Queen, now is not the time!

DadGeddoe doesn't even attempt to stop her. What bad influences. :allears:

Okay, time to go through the door!

Whoah, it's really bright in here.

: "What the heck is this place?"

: "What, what is this place?"

:raise:

So, if you hadn't noticed, cutscenes decide who says what line based on their order in the party. This can lead to some kind of, uh... Weird conversations.

I immediately switch the order so that won't happen again. Bright's line, if it weren't Bright, would have said something about how we should follow after the Bishop's group.

Anyway, we've got three ways to go. Ultimately, so long as we don't go straight, we'll be fine, as the paths actually intertwine. As Salome said, this place is pretty labrynthian, making it the only real JRPG-y dungeon in the game so far. Thus, I'll be leaving the mini-map up most of the time. In addition, I've pieced together the mini-maps so you can make a little more sense of this place.

And here it is. It's a little non-sensical, but I hope it helps.

We're heading to the left first.

The area has a lot of dead-ends, and about half of them have something going on in them, whether it's a corpse to loot or a plant to harvest.

Or a dog to get. He's being sneaky, but you can see his tail poking out.

:stare:

:catstare:

That's terrifying. Thank you, emulator.

This dog is so weird.

:
>Adopt at Thomas Castle.
>Do nothing.
>Chase away.

: "A-i-e-ooo... A-i-e-ooo..."

It runs off like a normal dog.

And that's all the dogs.

Kogoro > go > 5

While I'm at it, Koroku > roku > 6

They skip four.

Dog aside, the area has a different set of enemies than the highway part of the area.

First, we've got some Sirens, which are unique because, true to their name and unlike all the other lady-type monsters, they will exclusively target the men in the party. Aside from that, they're basically the same as the ones in the cavern from way back when; their regular attacks can cause sleep and they can cast ice magic.

We've also got some Troll Dragons (and Malifaux, which Hugo is blocking). The dragons and Malifaux haven't changed since we last saw them (two seconds ago from the Malifaux, I forget when for the dragons).

Dragon battle!

(Bright wins.)

The only real notable thing about fights here is that, for some reason, both sides decide to be incredibly far away from each other, so everyone will have to run a fair distance to get over to the enemies. This doesn't effect too much, though it does mean that Emily, Lilly, and Hugo will probably hit one fewer time than normal on their first turn. Futch/Bright stay the same, and Viki's just going to hang out anyway.

Moving on, there's a corpse up in the corner, which we get some armor from.

We then take the top-right path to continue on.

You can see where the straight path leads from this screen.

We make a pit stop on the path to the bottom right before continuing, and pick up an accessory that we don't really need for anything off of this dead guy. I guess he needs it even less than us, though.

I am kind of fond of how you can see the rest of the dungeon from different vantage points while you're progressing. The area is actually kind of small, but you trek over and under the different paths which makes it seem larger and more interesting.

Nothing much on this next path.

Some cool background pillars though.

This is an example of going under a raised area. I think it's neat, anyway.

The zig-zag path leads to another lootable corpse, this one nets us a smelly old book for Eike, which I'll show off later. You've seen me pick at a couple of corpses already, though, so I'll leave this one out.

Confused yet? Going south will lead us to the three-way fork entrance, actually, so we're gonna take the branch going off to the right. The far path going off to the left will take us to where we met the weirdo dog.

Onward we go.

Aaand, we're almost through.

The branch to the left leads to a plant you can harvest, though it has a nasty habit of not having spawned in a harvestable-state, so it's not worth it. Exit is out through the top.

If you want to skip all the items and just head to the exit, you can just take the right path from the start, and then it's only a couple screens to run through. I appreciate that.

Anyway, the exit to the north is actually a way deeper into the ruins, but it is also definitely a separate part of the ruins.

As proof, there's a save point right when you pass through. It's a not-too-subtle hint on the game's part that you should probably save now.

I saved. It was very exciting.

Crossing the threshold a few paces in front of the save triggers a scene that Bright is suspiciously not in. I am assuming that they would have cut out Fubar as well, if we had him.

The team jogs a couple steps, but slow down to a walk to take in their surroundings and look for the Bishop's party.

: "Uh-oh. They're too far ahead of me."

They rush forward to confront her on the landing.

: "They're conducting a very important ritual just beyond here, so I can't let you pass."

: "Ritual? What ritual this time?"

: "It would be impossible for you to grasp our ultimate goal. Please go back!"

: "If you don't mind my saying, I think it'd be a mistake to go back."

Sarah sighs. She knew it would come to this. Everyone knew.

And so, she summons some monsters.

So, this fight is remarkably easy, and is not why the game told you to save first.

Sarah comes with two Chimera, which haven't changed since last time we saw them, and two Ghost Armors, which look more interesting than they are.

First, Emily is some kind of avatar of fury, and basically kills the first guy before he gets to do anything.

(That's Hugo over there to the side smacking the other one, by the way.)

Sarah continues to use water magic most often, which is never a bad thing for us, considering what she can do with a Fire Rune.

Futch and Bright are great. Have I told you guys that they're great before?

It's possible that these things could be dangerous, I guess, maybe, but they're not really.

Anyway.

The battle actually ends once you take out the monsters -- you don't have to even touch Sarah.

Wait a second.

The screen starts shaking, and everyone loses their footing for a few moments.

Something's not right.

: "What the heck was that? An explosion?"

Slowly, Sarah gets to her feet.

: "Does this have something to do with the power of the rune? Did something go wrong?"

She starts to run off.

: "Stop, stop right there!!!"

Hugo and party give chase.

They don't get too far.

Also, there's a lot of motion blur in this part, if you didn't pick up on that yet.

: "Whoa! Where'd she disappear to? What just happened?"

Something about that jagged looking ice thing back there makes me think we should head that way.

I love this area. I'm always a sucker for ice areas, but this one especially hits a lot of the right notes for me.

As we go deeper, the place gets more and more cracked and coated with ice, as if it was consumed by it. You can see some bits of the original pillars poking out from under that ice construct.

Also, enemy encounters have the background mimic the screen you're on, which is a nice touch. Without the fog effect, too. This is a couple screens long, by the way.

Getting closer.

The fog gets thicker, and there's a rumbling all around. The screen flashes white a few times.

: "Here it comes!! Arms at the ready!"

"Water Dragon."

That doesn't bode well for Jimba. :ohdear:

There are two ways to fight this boss: the smart way, and the really stupid way. Don't ever do it the stupid way, it's unnecessarily stressful. We brought Viki along specifically so we could do it the smart way.

Up to this point, she's been teleporting around in battles, but otherwise doing jack-poo poo fighting-wise. This changes now.

Because she's going to be using this bad boy right here. Pale Gate magic is imperative to this fight. First thing you should do is cast the first spell.

Yes, I know. There are so many great spells in this list that are stronger, why are we using the weak one? Just trust me.

Everyone else needs to be instructed to attack the dragon.

Hugo, as per usual, rushes forward before Viki can cast. This is a waste of his turn.

But that's okay.

The first spell for Pale Gate magic, "Open Gate," which you've seen used against us before, has "a chance" of automatically killing enemies. Against this boss, it will kill all of the Ice Pillars, no questions asked. This is important because they do a fair amount of damage with their attacks, like to gang up on a single target, and have thousands of HP.

If you really want to make this fight hard on yourself, you can decide not to do this step, but it's really not worth the stress.

From there, everyone dog-piles the dragon.

Still the first turn, the dragon decides to wrap things up by trying to flash-freeze Futch and Bright. This attack is a lot more dangerous on a non-mounted unit.

Lilly. :allears:

Why, yes, Emily is capable of hitting five times per turn without her Swing level capped out.

The duo over here doesn't want to be out-shined.

Neither does Lilly.

Let's see another Pale Gate spell -- the second level spell, "Royal Passage."

Holy poo poo, what is that.

That is some hella lightning.

Too bad the dragon is sort of resistant to magic.

Another great thing about having destroyed all the pillars is that the dragon will waste most of it's turns trying to revive them, which it can only do one at a time. Thus ends the second turn.

More attacks are dished out.

And Futch deals the final blow.

This automatically shatters whatever pillars are left.

The dragon explodes in a manner similar to the Fire Dragon.

Somehow, the fog and ice still being here suggests to me that this isn't over yet.

Hugo turns to see that we've got some back-up, in the form of Caesar, Apple, Lucia, Geddoe, and Chris.

: "What really happened here? Is it the True Water Rune?"

: "I think so. We must hurry, Hugo! If the True Rune had been awakened, we have only seen a fraction of it's awesome power!"

Even the "healing" rune can be destructive if something goes wrong. I just hope we can find out what went wrong and fix it. An explosion of ice can be just as deadly as an explosion of fire. Especially if it keeps spreading like this.

Further inside...

Sarah catches up to her companions. By a sparking obelisk of ice, Yuber is kicking a figure on the ground, as Albert watches. The bishop appears to be sitting to the side.

Jimba... :smith: Yuber rolls him over with his foot.

His chest is still rising and falling. He's alive.

Sarah seems preoccupied.

She walks to the bishop's side. He seems to be injured -- I guess Jimba got him pretty good before being overtaken.

Her hand hovers by his face, concerned but afraid to touch him.

Wait.

His mask is gone.

Hey, he looks kind of like Sasa--

"Luc."

This was a shock to anyone who played the first two games, as Luc was in both. Except, you know. As one of your 108 stars. Like, a good guy. Helping you out in war. Being a little snot about it, but still. He was a good guy.

This also answers the question of where the True Wind Rune is...

The scene cuts back to Hugo.

We should, ah, probably hurry.

As we keep going, the ruins give up all pretense of having ever been made of stone -- the ice has completely taken over everything. I'm surprised there's even such a clear path.

Almost there -- please be okay, Jimba.

The Bishop's party -- Luc's party -- seem to have abandoned the area.

: "There he is!!"

: "Jimba!!!!"

We're comin', buddy.

Lucia rolls him over. He seems conscious, at least, but only just.

She shakes him. After a few moments, his eyes open a little more, and he seems to finally take notice of her.

She shakes her head.

: "What happened, Jimba? What caused this?"

Jimba scans his surroundings.

: "Jimba!!!"

: "Hugo... So you became the Flame Champion..."

: "Jimba..."

: "What are you going to do with me?"

Hugo moves to the side so she can approach, which she does.

: "The True Water Rune is kept sealed here. Before it gets taken away, I've been trying to put it back into my right hand. I failed. The Rune was partially released..."

: "drat, if this continues, we're all finished!"

It fades to white.

The manga puts it a little more plainly.

Chris kneels down to make it easier for him.

: "So what do you want me to do?"

He tries to sit up a little, but really only succeeds in squirming a bit.

: "Contain the force of this True Water Rune. That possessed girl from Alma Kinan showed you the power you have within you. You were chosen by the Rune, so you can do this. Hurry up..."

He droops back down a bit, strength continuing to fade.

: "Me?"

: "But do we have enough time? We have to contain the Rune immediately, or it'll go out of control!"

That's probably why Luc took off -- it became too dangerous for them to carry through with whatever they were planning to do to Jimba, especially with us hot on their trail.

: "Was I really chosen by the Rune?"

Magic's not really her thing.

Still, she approaches the True Water Rune.

After a few moments, the ice orb melts and fades.

Leaving True Water in it's wake.

She staggers back to him.

: "So, you..."

She trails off, but I think he would have cut her off anyway.

: "My tie with the Water Rune -- my attachment to this land and this world -- is over. Old heroes should die eventually. To wish to have an eternal life... is unnatural after all."

: "Goodbye, Chris. I was not a good father to you..."

: "............."

: "I never wanted this to happen!"

: "This could foreshadow another possible victory over Holy Harmonia."

And that concludes Chapter 4.

:smith:

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 31, 2014

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

yokaiy posted:

: "The 27 True Runes give immortality and strong power to their bearers. I have seen that power executed once. Its effect is beyond imagination. A human should never be allowed to use it."

In other words: The previous Fire Bringer War ended suddenly when the True Fire Rune went crazy and caused a huge explosion so devastating that Harmonia signed a truce right then and there, in fear of it happening a second time, and the Grasslanders agreed to it because of that same fear.

If Lucia's talking about seeing a True Rune firsthand, she's not talking about the True Fire, last seen fifty years ago - she's in her fourties, I think. This is a reference to the Beast Rune in Sui2 - she saw that, and it's certainly something a human should never be allowed to use.

yokaiy posted:

This was a shock to anyone who played the first two games, as Luc was in both. Except, you know. As one of your 108 stars. Like, a good guy. Helping you out in war. Being a little snot about it, but still. He was a good guy. He even runs away with you in the bad ending of Sui2.

Luc, you are in so much trouble when Leknaat finds you, young man!

Isn't basically every playable character available to run away with you in the bad end? I'm not sure that you're reading more into this that there is to it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So, there's a bit of a fan theory that this dog here is actually Pesmerga in disguise. In a way, it kind of makes sense: he's trying to stand like a human, he's trying to talk like a human, he's got black fur like Pesmerga's black armor, and he's even hiding in an awful dungeon just like Pesmerga. And it is a little weird that they'd feature Yuber in this game so prominently without Pesmerga being in it. But, like all fan theories, it's all just silly speculation.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Makes perfect sense to me! If anyone should be able to understand Bright it's Futch.

It's really sad that Jimba died, but thinking of story conventions and there being 2 main good guys who were former close friends of the Legendary Hero, Jimba pretty much took the bullet for Geddoe there.

Hopefully his sacrifice won't be in vain.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think in the manga version of Suikoden III Cecile was already in charge of all of the dogs. For maximum adorableness.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Note on the stupid way for fighting the water dragon; that formation means the ice pillars are 'between' you and the dragon. You can't reach it physically without killing some, I think one per PC you need in range, possibly one plus that many. And given they respawn? Yeah, you need either a pack of mages or Pale Gate.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

dancingbears posted:

If Lucia's talking about seeing a True Rune firsthand, she's not talking about the True Fire, last seen fifty years ago - she's in her fourties, I think. This is a reference to the Beast Rune in Sui2 - she saw that, and it's certainly something a human should never be allowed to use.

Luc, you are in so much trouble when Leknaat finds you, young man!

Isn't basically every playable character available to run away with you in the bad end? I'm not sure that you're reading more into this that there is to it.

Whoops, I'm an idiot. I'll fix the Beast Rune thing. For some reason I thought it was set who went with you in the bad end, so I'll take that out too. :v:

e: Fixed.

Fister Roboto posted:

So, there's a bit of a fan theory that this dog here is actually Pesmerga in disguise. In a way, it kind of makes sense: he's trying to stand like a human, he's trying to talk like a human, he's got black fur like Pesmerga's black armor, and he's even hiding in an awful dungeon just like Pesmerga. And it is a little weird that they'd feature Yuber in this game so prominently without Pesmerga being in it. But, like all fan theories, it's all just silly speculation.

I don't think I've heard that one before.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

yokaiy posted:

Whoops, I'm an idiot. I'll fix the Beast Rune thing. For some reason I thought it was set who went with you in the bad end, so I'll take that out too. :v:

She also saw the Soul Eater and Bright Shield Rune first hand, probably just a little bitter still.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The third dog you recruited, Connie, learns pale gate magic around the low 50s but cannot obtain a head rune slot until level 55. Another thing is that Connie's pale gate skill can reach A+, which no other normal character can reach. Most dogs have poor magic skills but Koroku oddly has B+ in Fire. Yeah, that's right. Koroku is a better user of the True Fire Rune than Chris or Hugo. Of course, Konami can't do something that awesome.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Actually, Kosanji > san/shi > 3/4. :eng101: two dogs for the price of one! :pseudo:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Actually, Kosanji > san/shi > 3/4. :eng101: two dogs for the price of one! :pseudo:

4 is also death, so they probably avoided making a Doom Dog.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Well, Kosanji is probably the best dog due to his highest HP and attack totals. Also gets adrenaline power at A+ so if he dies he'll probably get auto-revived anyways.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
If you have all the dogs in a party, they have a unite together as well.

I'm saying this because I'm fully expecting you to give me a team of dogs next time I have a voting choice.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jimba :smith:

So, does Chris get a boost to her magic thanks to the True Water Rune, or is she really stuck with a big source of healing offset by dismal magic stats?

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I always thought this was a really cool moment in the game. Jimba/Wyatt revealed, another True Rune, Luc revealed. Also one of the first battles where you really get to flex your power with a lot of choice and strong runes, etc. One of the best parts of the game, I think.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Luc always struck me as kind of a jerk but up until this game I never thought of him as THIS big a jerk.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Here's a great prank: Take 5 dogs, number them 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6, and then set them loose. People will go crazy looking for #4!

:cawg:

Meanwhile, characters continue to do stupid things for plot contrivance. "Yeah, I know the big bads are going to go gently caress with the True Water rune, but rather than tell my army about it, I'll go check it out on my own."

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

yokaiy posted:

If you have all the dogs in a party, they have a unite together as well.

I'm saying this because I'm fully expecting you to give me a team of dogs next time I have a voting choice.

This seems like a fairly accurate assumption.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013
The talk about leveling in this update reminded me of a neat little detail about this game. The icon on the PS2 memory card is a little figure of Hugo. Apparently the stance he takes is directly related to the level of the main character on the profile. The higher the level, the more hardened and sure of himself he appears.

Also, since you brought up the manga it's worth noting just how powerful it made Luc appear during his confrontation with Jimba. If I remember right, Luc is able to use his True Rune to change the air pressure in Jimba's body, causing his internal organs to explode. Jimba was only able to hurt him through the equivalent of a sucker punch.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
Oh no, there goes Luce's last son. :smith:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yeah, Luc kinda stomps all over Jimba in their fight. Like, when Chris finds him he's a broken and bloody mess.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 1, 2015

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

I'd like to think that in their off-time, Futch and Bright get into heated debates at Budehuc Castle...and everyone else is wondering why Futch is yelling at his dragon about the price of salt or something.

yokaiy posted:

Kogoro > go > 5

While I'm at it, Koroku > roku > 6

They skip four.
Skipping four is always the best policy in Suikoden. :colbert:

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Good work OP keep it up.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Verant posted:

Skipping four is always the best policy in Suikoden. :colbert:

Well, 4 is death (of the franchise)

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
If the Sirens only attack men, what do they do if you bring an all female party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Aila's letter :haw:

Realistic though it may be, I never liked the food going bad. It's not as if you get a lot of really great food anyway, so it's just a nuisance.

One-shotting the ice pillars is pretty funny. I had no idea it did that.

Verant posted:

the price of salt

:stare:

• Locked thread