Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I did say that I'd like to go back and do 1 and talk about how it's actually connected to the book it's based on, but realistically speaking, that's not going to be anytime soon - for one thing, I have to re-read the whole 2000+ pages and refresh my memory first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

Poque posted:

or to make it so the 108 star prize isn't actually a punishment?

That's what Suikoden Tactics is for!

...No, I wish I was kidding - you really have to look to another game for the real prize.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Really it's probably best to think of Tactics as a whole as your 108 star bonus, which also makes it the best 108 star bonus.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

vilkacis posted:

I did say that I'd like to go back and do 1 and talk about how it's actually connected to the book it's based on, but realistically speaking, that's not going to be anytime soon - for one thing, I have to re-read the whole 2000+ pages and refresh my memory first.
I kinda wanted to do a read-through of the 4 classics before LPing Jade Empire, and man - everyone involved in Outlaws is such a loving rear end in a top hat.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

vilkacis posted:

I would definitely look forward to this. At the very least, I want to know how your Jeane would react to being given the Chiketsu Star. The character with that star in the original novel is Hsuan Tsan (or Xuan Zan, depending on how you write it), who's known to be incredibly ugly.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Jeane having this particular star may have some significance, especially when you consider her asking Koroku not to reveal her "secret". The implications of this are unsettling. :stonk:

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 2, 2015

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
get that wade-giles trash out of here, pinyin is the superior romanization system.

And it's true, the folks in Outlaws do ten to be dicks on both sides of the moral spectrum. Like our hero, Song Jiang! Who boldly...murders his wife when she tries to blackmail him. But at least he's not as much of a dick as Gao Qiu!

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Verant posted:

get that wade-giles trash out of here, pinyin is the superior romanization system.

And it's true, the folks in Outlaws do ten to be dicks on both sides of the moral spectrum. Like our hero, Song Jiang! Who boldly...murders his wife when she tries to blackmail him. But at least he's not as much of a dick as Gao Qiu!

How much of the cannibalism story did they keep in S1, I can't remember. They had the part with the inn and the heroes being drugged.

edit: Ah, right. They gave the heroes drugged tea and robbed them. In the original the bandits fed one or more of the heroes a generous dinner that was drugged with a sleeping tonic. They had been drugging travelers, robbing them, then cooking and then feeding them to the next person to come through.

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 2, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

How much of the cannibalism story did they keep in S1, I can't remember. They had the part with the inn and the heroes being drugged.

edit: Ah, right. They gave the heroes drugged tea and robbed them. In the original the bandits fed one or more of the heroes a generous dinner that was drugged with a sleeping tonic. They had been drugging travelers, robbing them, then cooking and then feeding them to the next person to come through.

This suddenly explains why the tea would be bitter. :gonk:

CactusMan
Aug 15, 2015
Hey yokaiy and Vilk, just like to say that I've enjoyed the Suikoden LPs both of you guys have done. It actually inspired me to start playing the series myself! Got 1-3 on the PSN a while back and at the moment I'm nearing the fight against Luca Blight in 2. Don't even mind the Suikoden 3 spoilers for myself, since stories like these always interest me anyways.

Can't wait to see the ending!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

CactusMan posted:

Got 1-3 on the PSN a while back and at the moment I'm nearing the fight against Luca Blight in 2.

Godspeed.

Just remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Hope you're not like me and know its called a marathon because someone loving dropped dead running that far

I mean its completely over-dramatized and a complete cakewalk full of kittens and bunnies.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I kinda wanted to do a read-through of the 4 classics before LPing Jade Empire, and man - everyone involved in Outlaws is such a loving rear end in a top hat.

Well, at leat you don't have to put up with Liu Bei :v:

CactusMan posted:

Hey yokaiy and Vilk, just like to say that I've enjoyed the Suikoden LPs both of you guys have done. It actually inspired me to start playing the series myself!

Glad to hear it! :cheers:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Xander77 posted:

I'd like to read those novels too some day. Well that or watch TV adaptations of the novels like this one.

EDIT: Interestingly, according to the section on the 4 classics, there are two more classic novels.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Don't read Journey to the West. It took me a very long time and I deeply consider it a waste of that time. Despite being pretty similar to Don Quixote, which I like, in format, it just seems incredibly tedious.

While the bits of Don Quixote that aren't great (poems and such) can be easily skipped. Journey to the West seems to be a labor to skip the meaningless parts.

What I read of Romance was alright.

CactusMan
Aug 15, 2015
Jesus.

Just beat Luca, and I can definitely understand why the fan base loves him so much. I was probably way overpowered so it wasn't all that difficult, but I'll be damned if Luca didn't go out like a badass.

Luc got the finishing blow on him on the third fight...

:smith:

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Don't read Journey to the West. It took me a very long time and I deeply consider it a waste of that time. Despite being pretty similar to Don Quixote, which I like, in format, it just seems incredibly tedious.

While the bits of Don Quixote that aren't great (poems and such) can be easily skipped. Journey to the West seems to be a labor to skip the meaningless parts.

What I read of Romance was alright.

Honestly, most of Journey to the West can be summed up thusly:

Zhu Bajie: Hey, let's do the stupid thing.
Sun Wukong: Don't listen to the idiot, he'll get you killed.
Xuanzang: Now Wukong, don't be cruel to poor Bajie.
Zhu Bajie: Alright, let's go do the stupid thing!
~*Bajie and Xuanzang do the stupid thing and get captured by demons*~
Sun Wukong: Screw these idiots, I'm leaving on my magic cloud.
Guanyin: No, do the righteous thing.
Sun Wukong: But !
Guanyin: Do it or you're getting punished forever.
~*Sun Wukong does the righteous thing and saves the others*~
Sha Wujing: Also I'm here too.
Zhu Bajie: I promise never to do the stupid thing again!
~*Rinse and repeat*~

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Verant posted:

It's not quite that repetitive.

Sometimes Sun Wukong fails and basically every God and Goddess ever needs to fight the random demon to save them.

But only after the poem about what the demon decided to wear that day.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Well, at least you don't have to put up with Liu Bei :v:

How is this 'Liu Bei' annoying? Are they annoying like trying to get a decent hit on Yuber or annoying like Lucretia?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

CactusMan posted:

Hey yokaiy and Vilk, just like to say that I've enjoyed the Suikoden LPs both of you guys have done. It actually inspired me to start playing the series myself! Got 1-3 on the PSN a while back and at the moment I'm nearing the fight against Luca Blight in 2. Don't even mind the Suikoden 3 spoilers for myself, since stories like these always interest me anyways.

Aw, thank you. Glad you've been enjoying it. :3:

Hey, look, I'm not dead.

Rirse posted:

vilkacis already did the heavy lifting and took care of Suikoden IV. Wasn't Yokaiy going to go back to Suikoden 1 or 2 after this instead or was that also vilkacis?

vilkacis posted:

I'd be willing to do it with you, Vilk. :haw:

Everyone posted:

The Four Classics.

I'm a little ashamed that most of my knowledge of the novels comes from weird anime and manga adaptations. :ohdear:

On a more why-I-haven't-been-here note, I would like to really apologize for being a mess these past few months. I'd lost my job, and though in theory that meant I had more free time to do stuff like work on this LP, I also lacked the drive to do pretty much anything at all. It was not a good place to be in. However, I started work again last week and, just like I thought it would, it's already making me feel a lot more productive and ready to do things. So, basically what I'm saying is that I just beat up Yuber as Hugo so I can update again soon. :) Thanks for putting up with me, you guys.

CactusMan
Aug 15, 2015
Awesome! Glad to hear you haven't abandoned the LP! And glad to hear that you're doing better. :toot:

I'm actually rereading it from the beginning while playing it myself. Had to download a Suikoden I/II save online and transfer it to my PS3 with a USB flashdrive though...kinda dumb that I couldn't use the PS3's internal functions to do that.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
If it makes you feel any better yokaiy, today was the last day on my own job (stupid company shutting down our whole drat center), so you're not the only one that's recently had job trouble. Need to step up my job search. :smith:

But glad to hear that you got a new job. We're willing to wait until you're actually up for an update, so take your time.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 5, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RareAcumen posted:

How is this 'Liu Bei' annoying? Are they annoying like trying to get a decent hit on Yuber or annoying like Lucretia?

Annoying like having Chris as your Flame Champion. Which is to say not actually annoying but just not the thing that people expected.

No, if you want "annoying like Lucretia", that's literally Zhuge Liang. Lucretia is basically a woman version of him, right down to insufferable :smuggo: and magic fan shenanigans. Historically, Zhuge Liang was just a great diplomat and strategist. In Romance, he's a goddamn wizard who can't ever mess up and wins any battle he takes a side on.

Liu Bei, on the other hand is just :geno:.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 5, 2015

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Verant posted:

Honestly, most of Journey to the West can be summed up thusly:

Zhu Bajie: Hey, let's do the stupid thing.
Sun Wukong: Don't listen to the idiot, he'll get you killed.
Xuanzang: Now Wukong, don't be cruel to poor Bajie.
Zhu Bajie: Alright, let's go do the stupid thing!
~*Bajie and Xuanzang do the stupid thing and get captured by demons*~
Sun Wukong: Screw these idiots, I'm leaving on my magic cloud.
Guanyin: No, do the righteous thing.
Sun Wukong: But !
Guanyin: Do it or you're getting punished forever.
Sha Wujing: Also I'm here too.
Zhu Bajie: I promise never to do the stupid thing again!
~*Rinse and repeat*~

I've read the whole thing 3 times. It's just really entertaining to me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

vilkacis posted:

Well, at leat you don't have to put up with Liu Bei :v:

Read it, read the superior annotated Russian translation, slowly going through the 2010 series (which I can't link due to :filez:) and currently reading huge forum posts comparing RotK to reality.

Historical fiction is extremely my poo poo, and you have to gently caress it up severely for me to stop enjoying it. Like, take it to space, throw in your lovely political views, and make the main character a perfect heroine instead of a neurotic sperg levels fuckup.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Well to be fair he's not terribly annoying (compared to Lucretia Zhuge Liang at least) but he's just kinda boring when he's not being a cannibal or tossing babies around.

yokaiy posted:

I'd be willing to do it with you, Vilk. :haw:

Well now! That could be interesting.

/bookmarks for later

quote:

Like, take it to space, throw in your lovely political views, and make the main character a perfect heroine instead of a neurotic sperg levels fuckup.

I've heard of that, but never read any of it. ...Now I kind of want to, though probably for all the wrong reasons.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

vilkacis posted:

I've heard of that, but never read any of it. ...Now I kind of want to, though probably for all the wrong reasons.
Do you habitually read terrible fanfic? Because that's all that is, terrible "Hornblower in space" fanfic. Like everything published by Baen barring the Vorkosigan saga (which I heartily recommend) it's awful.

vilkacis posted:

Well to be fair he's not terribly annoying (compared to Lucretia Zhuge Liang at least) but he's just kinda boring when he's not being a cannibal or tossing babies around.

Where's the guy with the "Benevolence" avatar? Maybe another one of him eating "wolf meat" and crying.

Edit - Benevolence!

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 5, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Do you habitually read terrible fanfic?

...Maybe.

quote:

Where's the guy with the "Benevolence" avatar? Maybe another one of him eating "wolf meat" and crying.

Dunno, but I have this!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Wait, I thought we were talking about Suikoden, when did the conversation switch to Xenogears?

Oh man, I missed this meme.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

vilkacis posted:

...Maybe.

Dunno, but I have this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G_DB-WhbR4

BENEVOLENCE

And I'm glad to hear things are turning around for you, yokaiy!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Today I've learned that threads now have more than a year to go before they drop into the archives. What's up with that, anyways?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Whoops. Butt empty quote.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 24, 2015

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Xander77 posted:

Today I've learned that threads now have more than a year to go before they drop into the archives. What's up with that, anyways?

The archive script broke about a year and a half ago. Posts still get tagged as being in the archives when they're supposed to, but nothing actually gets moved now since the archive won't actually add the thread, causing those posts to permanently disappear.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Xander77 posted:

Well, hopefully I won't take that long. :haw:

That said, Hugo version of the previous update coming tomorrow, and an update with actual progress is coming this weekend!

Thank you for putting up with me, as always. :unsmith:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chapter 5.8 - Take Back True Lightning - feat. Hugo

Since it's possible for Hugo to have any of the three True Runes, he of course has his own party chats and versions of the cutscenes. Starting with the intro scene.

: "I know, I'm going... I'm not about to give up now, after I've come this far!"

: "You're making fun of me again."

Joe gives his son student a once-over.

Duck teasing is best teasing.

For all that the party matters in these interludes, this is what I went with.

Bah! We don't need luck!

From there, we head into the hall and onto Hugo's character scene.

So, the way the character scenes work is, aside from everyone having great scenes where they have a moment with their crew (provided you have them in your party), everyone has two versions of the scene. Well, more specifically, everyone has a scene, but the Flame Champion won't get theirs -- they get their own scene instead, and all three versions are pretty much the same and also pretty boring. You'll see when we get there.

This means that we won't get to see Hugo's character scene in our main run, and this is a massive shame!

But that's a gripe for when we actually get there.

Hugo starts walking, with Joe trailing behind him a few paces.

Hugo promptly stops walking.

Joe keeps going for a couple steps before he stops as well.

: "You just have, that's all."

: "Huh?"

After a moment, Joe turns to face him.

You've grown like thiiiiiiiiis much, Hugo, and that's as far as my wingspan goes so it's a lot!

: "I am honored to be your mentor."

:3: Duck Dad...

He seems to consider this for a few moments.

Deep breath.

: "I've never forgotten about Lulu."

Hugo lingers a bit.

So Fubar takes it upon himself to give our boy the most affectionate nuzzle.

Hugo gives him some pats on the head in return. :3:

: "Hey! You're coming with us. Come along."

: "Kuuuuueeeeeeeeee!!"

: "This time, I will win. You heard me! Yes, things have changed..."

That was cute.

Since we've seen this stretch of dungeon before, let's just skip to the end, shall we?

Hi, Yuber.

This is an interesting change, given how upset (upset??) he was about Geddoe being late. He seems to have some begrudging respect for Geddoe, and Chris as well, actually, as opposed to his disdain for Hugo.

I also think that it wouldn't have much impact and just come across as a kind of weird line if we hadn't seen the Geddoe version first.

Hugo, are you forgetting that time where we kicked his butt? Because that happened. And the result now will be exactly the same.

: "You insolent twerp! You annoy me!

Yuber forgot about it too.

Hugo. That was a terrible comeback.

: "Then show me!!"

From there, we have our fight. I'll give you the abridged version.

I love Lilly.

Yuber is still an rear end in a top hat.

Hugo is not good at comebacks, but he is good at hitting things really hard.

Joe heals.

And then we beat him up.

Overall, taking Yuber on with Hugo isn't very different from the Geddoe version. In some ways it's easier, since Hugo is really good at dealing damage, but he's also less good at crowd control. So it's a good idea in this version to go after Yuber's mooks before himself, instead of treating them like an afterthought like in the Geddoe version.

: "It has nothing to do with the True Rune."

We haven't seen that portrait change in a looong while. Also, that is like the most shounen thing I have heard in a long time.

Yuber poofs away, as before.

But he doesn't just ditch us in this version.

Is that a compliment, or...?

He then leaves for real.

: "drat! I lost him."

Indeed.

Like this one.

Next time, True Water!

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
The fact that it's possible to not see Hugo's scene there is criminal really. None of the remaining scenes in the game for him provide a fraction of the closure and sense of growth that it does.

Just one more reason to FC Geddoe really.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I always thought it was sad that Lily, Hallec, and Mua don't have extra dialogue here.

I always thought of them as the proper "team Hugo" along with Joe and Fubar.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

mauman posted:

I always thought it was sad that Lily, Hallec, and Mua don't have extra dialogue here.

You'd think that at least Lucia would get some lines in there too. But nope.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

CmdrKing posted:

The fact that it's possible to not see Hugo's scene there is criminal really. None of the remaining scenes in the game for him provide a fraction of the closure and sense of growth that it does.

Just one more reason to FC Geddoe really.

Pretty much. Especially because I don't understand why they had to make a distinction between the person who is the FC and the people who are not. There's no reason for your FC to not get their character scene. Also, the FC scene is boring.

mauman posted:

Bufuman posted:

You'd think that at least Lucia would get some lines in there too. But nope.

Well, if it's to bring closure to the whole Lulu thing, then I guess they're not necessary since they weren't there, but I'd still have liked to see some dialogue from them too. I did initially think that at least his mom would have something to say to him, though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Huh, I do not remember that bit with Lulu. Or any of it, really.

It hasn't been that long since I did a non-FC Hugo run :psyduck:

Joe continuing to be great is no surprise, though.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Sgt. Joe is seriously cooler than any duck dude has a right to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chapter 5.9 - Take Back True Water

Next up in our Boss Rush is Chris and her party. Predictably, we'll be fighting Sarah here.

Before heading out, though, Lucia and Dupa would like a chat.

Maybe this is why she couldn't be present for Hugo's character scene.

: "They'll go as soon as they are ready."

: "Good! I'll leave for the Water Rune platform soon."

If you couldn't tell, all of our ruin expeditions are happening at the same time. This is the last time we'll be having a party split, and the last time events will overlap. I'm gonna be sad to see this feature go, not gonna lie.

Remember when we were all at war? Because Chris sure does and she's not as good at the "forgive and forget" thing as the Grasslanders.

After a few moments, she speaks up.

: "You have such trust in me."

: "You are a real fighter, and I never doubt a real fighter."

:3:

Chris seems stunned for a moment, again.

: "For the time being, we'll trust you."

: "Listen to me. As the Chief of the Karaya Clan, let me tell you--"

:unsmith:

She approaches Chris, and leans in.

Also, I don't think I'd ever noticed before, but her headband is actually textured? Wow, who would even notice if they didn't. Good job, Suikoden III.

: "If you want to have children of your own one day, you must show weakness sometimes as well as strength."

Predictably, Chris flushes at the comment.

: "Know that we're counting on you, White Maiden of Zexen."

If Chris is still capable of a response, she doesn't show it. Lucia and Dupa walk off very casually. They make it all the way off screen before she finally finds her voice.

Very impressive, Chris.

: "What's the matter, milady? Is it something she said?"

: "Now then, I'll get to the squad lineup."

Salome gives her a look, but she doesn't notice.

: "Yes, milady."

Heh.

Anyway, thread votes dictate that we go with Chris' regular party for this fight, and I am going to regret this pretty deeply, probably.

: "Well then, Milady."

: "Uh-huh..."

With that out of the way, we can proceed as planned.

Just like with Geddoe (and Hugo), we get a scene for having the "correct" party.

: "We'll go to the platform as though we were walking home. You'll see."

: "Oh no, let me do the job."

Already at it, guys?

: "Well, hello, Lord Borus. I thought you decided to stay quiet after that incident in Karaya."

: "Ugh..."

: "Percival!!"

For once, I'm with Roland. Percy's being a mite confrontational here, which is pretty unusual. That said, he's the type to get things out in the open if he thinks it's necessary, so let's see where this goes. Especially given this is the final battle, maybe he thinks it's time Borus shared his guilt with the rest of the class.

: "Stand down, Roland. It's my fault for not being able to stop it."

He turns his attention to Chris before continuing.

: "Lady Chris, if you feel that I have disgraced the name of the Six Mighty Knights of Zexen, please expel me from the Knights after this battle."

: "Borus, I don't know as much about the Six Mighty Knights as you do. You honor me by fighting by my side. If you have any shortcomings as a knight, I should be blamed."

: "Nevertheless, we are knights."

: "We must use our swords to protect others' lives, not just take them. Look at me, Borus. Join me in the fight."

He pulls out his sword.

And plunges it into the ground. Somehow. That can't be good for the blade. Or the floor, for that matter.

He promptly does it too.

I bet you never noticed that their swords are different before! Because I sure didn't!

The two exchange a look, and Percy nods at Borus.

Any nice words they might have been about to share are promptly interrupted by a giant axe slamming into the floor.

Roland is jealous that Leo got to it before he did.

He tries to play it off cool, though.

: "I already made my oath a long time ago."

: "I see."

: "That's cool. I want to take an oath too when I become a knight one day."

: "Really?"

:haw: You're not an elf, you goof.

:unsmith:

Also, look at Borus' face. He's so upset that Louis is smoother than he is.

: "Louis!"

: "Ha ha ha!"

: "Borus, stop fooling around."

: "Well, we should be going. We don't have much time."

: "So may it be, milady!"

And now for her part of the dungeon.

You know what's amazing?

Take a look at these pillars. And then go look at the ones in the True Lightning section of the ruins. Go on, don't just take my word for it. Go back and look, I'll wait right here.

That's right, the architecture has changed to match the Rune. Look at these rad marble pillars, meant to look like water and stuff. Look at the color change between the two areas. They made entirely different textures for each segment of this dungeon. That is awesome. And you know who noticed that, probably? No one. Probably no one.

:allears:

Continuing along the path, the area is pretty much the same as the True Lightning section was, just mirrored, which makes sense since they're on opposite sides of the site. You can probably guess that Fire and Earth will mirror each other in much the same way, since they're both in the center.

And yes, they get unique textures too.

It feels a little shorter than the other path, though. Not sure why.

All too soon, we're at the end.

And Sarah is there, waiting for us.

She's not very happy to see us.

Some of these cutscenes are framed really well.

: "It's unfathomable how many people will be destroyed by this!"

: "Certainly I am aware. But it is necessary. Besides, it isn't as if the sword by your side is innocent of taking lives, as well..."

Lulu.

: "More valuable than life?"

: "Let me ask you this: Which is more important, your duty or your life?"

: "This is ridiculous! Your life is far less valuable than the countless lives you plan on sacrificing. I will feel no remorse by taking it!"

Okay, you ready?

The fight with Sarah is, in many ways, worse than the fight with Yuber. Doubly so because we've got a team full of knights against a bunch of magical enemies. (Two Azzodess' and two Horror Beasts, yowch.)

Sarah is also very able to basically throw down a board wipe, as well. So while Yuber could basically just pick someone to kill off, she's able to just, you know, do that with everyone. Or get everyone low enough that her mooks will pick them off after. I've noticed that she doesn't usually like to, however.

She has three runes to pick from: a Fire Rune, a Pale Gate Rune, and a Water Rune. You're gonna want her to stick with physical attacks or with the Water Rune, and even then, she has a couple deadly options for the third rune there.

See, she has this one really nasty trick.

Now, she doesn't do this very often in fact I'd never seen her do it before and this was on one of my other saves so it wasn't even in the main run, but it hurts a lot and there's no real defense for it. Just hope everyone had a Sacrificial Jizo on, I guess.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think this is the final cast for the True Water Rune, which means she and Yuber were using the True Runes against us. Which explains why he'd suddenly gotten much faster and better at casting Lightning magic, if we're being honest. I'm not sure about this because getting a fourth level spell out of Chris or Hugo is a crap shoot and I haven't done it before.

But that's neither here nor there, because I got pretty lucky in this fight and didn't have to deal with it!

Anyway, let's talk strategies for this fight.

Like I said, we want Sarah to try and bonk us with her staff, so Salome has one very important job -- silencing her. This won't last forever, and will do jack poo poo against her monster friends, but it'll keep her doing negligible damage for at least a few turns while we try to clear up some of this riff raff.

Percival could also do this, of course, but he's a slower caster and a better physical fighter, so we'll leave it to Salome instead.

Roland starts us off with his Great Hawk Rune--

roland why are you awful

--while our front-liners start on the Horror Beasts. They've got a pretty large wad of HP and tend to be a little nastier than the Azzodess', so I like to go after them first.

Salome gets his spell off about half-way through the turn.

And then the Horror Beasts go. They attack with the same blue fire they're made of, and the camera decided that it would be a great idea to be awful. Much like the Azzodess, their magic doesn't count as magic.

They both went after Roland, so that's two attacks there.

It's also possible for them to use an attack that targets the whole party, but with much greater success than the Azzodess'.

Azzodess number one decided to go for the entire party.

As did the second one.

Salome and Percy being silenced is definitely not an ideal situation, since they're my two healers. I don't really care about Roland though.

Also, yes, for all my advice to give people Sacrifical Jizos for the boss rush fights, I forgot to do it myself for this one.

Aaaand, last but not least. That ends the first turn.

Starting off round two, I have Salome throw around some medicines, because he's still my healer regardless of his status effect. Means he can only heal himself and Borus, but it's better than nothing.

And we'll have most of the rest of the team keep plinking away at the Horror Beasts.

Chris actually gets some use out of her Phoenix Rune because I want these things dead, damnit, and kills the first one.

Heh heh.

Continuing the assault.

The remaining weird dog goes after Salome, though I have no idea how much damage he took. Whatever, he'll be fine.

This is greatly preferable to them using their multi-target attacks.

Next turn, Chris is stunned, so she'll be on healing duty. She shares a medicine with Percy.

Unfortunately, this means I don't get to specify a target for him, so he takes a stab at hurting Sarah. Which is fine, I guess, but I'd have preferred for him go after something more dangerous at the moment. She was closest, though.

Salome takes a swipe at the Horror Beast, and kills it.

Well, she's trying.

Well, he's trying.

This is going to get annoying.

Salome has the decency to magic shield the second one, though. Which is great because he's kind of fragile.

Percy's turn to throw around heals.

Also, everyone is silent now.

Salome follows his example. Leo is on his own.

And with Sarah the final serious opponent on the field, we start beating on her. She beats on us right back.

Oh, cool.

Also cool.

Holy poo poo, has Yuber been giving you lessons??

You know, she's putting up a pretty good fight.

Also, these ladies are still here.

Aaaaand, the magic dissolve fades.

Naturally, she heals.

Nnnnoooooo, stop that!

(We hit her a few times, too, but with half my party missing...)

Azzodess status: still here.

Sarah starts casting some Pale Gate magic, which is bad.

Which is why I'm really glad that Borus was berserked. Good job, Borus!

Main threat down, we can finally focus on her two monster companions.

And they go down pretty fast.

Levels for everyone but Roland!

And we get a nifty rune too. A little late in the game to be giving us goodies, though.

She might not be crazy demon-spawn like Yuber, but she's not ready to give up yet.

: "Get out of the way! I am reclaiming the True Water Rune."

Clonk.

Sarah crumples at Chris' feet.

Chris, I don't think she can hear you.

Well, either way.

Time to get what we came here for.

• Locked thread