Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Yay! Glad this is still alive!

...But I guess the Gaidens are out of the question, then? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Thomas once saved me from getting hit by a moving train.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo, Yokaiy said he finished the game in May? Please still let this be a thing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This LP is dead and abandoned.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This LP is dead and abandoned.

Don't kill my dreams :negative:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Hey could you maybe stop pointlessly bumping a dead thread every couple of months? That'd be great.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

vilkacis posted:

Hey could you maybe stop pointlessly bumping a dead thread every couple of months? That'd be great.

I got my Suikoden LPers mixed up and thought you had posted an update for this thread and now MY hopes were dashed. :negative:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Unsubscribe if bumps make you irrationally mad

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chapter 5.11 - The Gray World

Here it is. The final party for our final encounter with Luc.

Except, not at these levels. Naturally, I took the team out to train first.

Mostly because of Thomas. He's trying, bless his heart.

So let's take a look at them at their fully trained state.

Most of the characters here are basically done skill-wise, so they've got a bunch of useless skill points.

Hugo is rocking his True Fire Rune and an emergency bandaid Wind Rune, but he'll be here mostly for physical damage.

Sasarai still had some things to level, but this should serve him pretty well. Also, I think rings stack, which is why he's wearing two Reflection Rings. I stuck the Pale Gate on him because I wanted to try cheesing the final boss fight to see if it would work (it didn't), but the damage output should also help him a lot. Of course, he'll be primarily using his True Earth Rune, but for... reasons, the spell overlap between the two is actually pretty good. Also, Flowing Rune for emergency heals.

I also leveled up his weapon because this money was burning a hole in my pocket -- I guarantee he won't ever physically attack something.

Chris is also here to do almost entirely physical damage. While I could have her heal, it's not super worth it.

I thought about giving him a Thunder Rune just so he could have literally every variant of a Lightning Rune on his person, but that'd be silly and I didn't have one lying around I don't think. Regardless, our boy here's gonna be doing what he does best: zapping things into oblivion. Also he's the only one with a Sacrificial Jizo because I am bad at taking my own advice on things.

Here he is: our duck. Joe is gonna be hitting hard but also healing when necessary. His Chanting Volume skill is locked onto him or else I would have replaced it with something he can actually use, but that aside, Joe is a solid unit.

And then there's Thomas. Stats-wise he's fine, but leveling up his skills is literal torture. This is the point at which I decided he was good enough for the endgame. Cyclone Rune for bandaids and a Killer Rune to hopefully get him to crit. This team is mostly about emergency healing, now that I think about it. Which makes sense, as the final battle is probably the longest battle in the game. In that it takes more than three turns to either win or die. More on that later.

Completing the party, we have Jeane for extra zapping power.

Hugo takes a look at his companions to either side of him.

Indeed.

Here we are, the heart of these ruins. Luc is waiting for us at the Wind Rune's pedestal.

He doesn't have to turn to know that the party is shuffling in.

The group take up their positions around Hugo, who approaches Luc pretty casually.

: "You're all by yourself now. All your allies have deserted you. So give up trying to destroy the True Wind Rune. It's a crazy idea! Why don't you surrender?"

:groan:

: "You'll be the same way, Flame Champion. Hugo, you will eventually learn that omnipotence and fame will not necessarily mean happiness."

: "Why do you say that? I have..."

I feel like it’s more that the rune also remembers these things. It’s kind of alive.

: "Did they lead happy lives?"

No.

: "Learn from their memories."

Immediately, the world fades out.

And Hugo finds himself alone in a monochrome world.

: "Where am I?"

Everything is still. Quiet.

The black sky looms overhead. Oppressive.

We know where this is.

But it turns out we're not alone anymore.

Hugo whips around.

And we find ourselves ambushed by something we've never seen before.

Well, I don't like this place or these things, so let's blow them up.

The Guardians are slow, so they don't even get to budge before Hugo destroys them. Notable, they can apparently use magic, as you can see from that green blob on the one on the right. I've never seen what they can actually do, though.

They die.

They give levels for some reason. Like, a lot of them.

Well, the threat is gone, so Hugo looks around a little more.

Luce's house.

Our house.

: Is this the Village of Karaya?"

More Guardians.

They go the same way as the first wave.

: "I don't smell the soil, see the grass, or feel the wind on my face."

: "This is our future... at least one of them."

Suddenly, Luc is standing in front of Hugo.

: "Future?"

: "Do you hear how quiet it is? Every sound, form, and color blend into complete tranquility. This is the absolute world."

The gray world.

: "In this parallel world, battles are fought between dharma and chaos. This balance of power brings justice."

: "Who are dharma and chaos? Anyone we know? Heh, heh!"

: "The 27 True Runes were an incarnation of God in this world."

: "What you see here is one of it's termini. This is a world of silence universally reigned by the power of dharma, the orderly cosmos."

One of the few instances where Yuber, paragon of chaos, can actually be seen as a pretty alright guy. Compared to a world full of absolutely nothing.

: "It's hardly nonsense, Hugo. This is where the world will eventually end up."

: "The only absolute characteristic here is dead silence."

: "This is our fate -- our future!"

So, you might be wondering where exactly Luc is going with all of this.

: "Fate? I don't believe it!!"

The world fades away.

: "That's what I wanted to hear, Hugo."

Luc also fades away.

: "What?"

He fades back in, and walks past Hugo's back.

: "It's taught me about the future world."

: "........................"

: "The world you just saw was kept as a memory in the True Wind Rue. The Flame Champion, Iroh, might have been able to see it vaguely. It was the future of this world."

He vanishes again.

And this is where we see what he was getting at.

: "Since the True Rune causes this eternal struggle, perhaps I can change our fate by destroying the rune. This is not the future you deserve."

He sweeps his arm across. He seems very passionate about this. Well, I guess you'd have to be to go this far for something.

: "Before I acquired the power, I was helpless. Now, I am different. I have the knowledge! With the ultimate knowledge from the Cyndar Clan, I can change the world's destiny. I'll release humans from bondage!"

: "....................."

I lost count. Less than 24.

: "I'll use the human willpower to change the future!"

: "?"

: "You like! They're all lies! Even if not, why should I believe you? You've caused a lot of good people to die: Lulu, Jimba, Karayans, Duck Clan, Lizard Clan, the Zexen ironheads, and Harmonians."

: "We're both too stubborn!"

We get booted out of Luc's head, or he gets booted out of ours.

: "Gracious! What happened?"

: "I'm fine."

: "I suggest we withdraw until we can recover and return."

This is where we would have the choice to turn back again.

But I think we're ready.

So, uh.

Luc has merged with his True Wind Rune and become a giant chicken.

A giant chicken with balls.

Also, I would like to apologize for any image quality issues for this fight. There’s a weird motion-blur effect happening for the entire encounter, which makes it kind of difficult to get good screen caps.

So, here we go. The Wind Rune Incarnation is our ultimate target, but the crystals surrounding it are infinitely more annoying.

(Also, you can't cheese them with the Pale Gate Rune like you can with the Water Rune Incarnation. I tried.)

A while back, in the thread, I said I would prove that the True Earth Rune is amazing and redeems Earth magic for the entire series. We're going to see that now.

Before that, let’s get into a little detail about how this fight works.

Formation-wise, the Lightning Crystal and Fire Crystal are at the front, which means that all physical attackers will go after them first. They’re strictly damage-dealing enemies, and are probably the least annoying of the group. They shouldn’t be your first target, but if you can take them out easily you should. Dear sweet Hugo and Chris are going to be making the mistake of attacking these first since they’re in the front, even though literally everything else on the field needs to die more immediately than these two.

Behind them, you’ve got the Earth and Water Crystals, and they are the most annoying. Annihilate them as soon as you possibly can, and make sure the Water one goes first. It can heal, it can freeze your rear end, it can resurrect other crystals. And it's as good at using itself as Sarah was. We’ll get to what the Earth Crystal does in a little bit.

And then, in the back, we have the chicken. If it dies before the balls do, the fight will end regardless of how many of them are left, but it’s physically behind the rest of them, so don’t expect your physical attackers to actually be able to hit it for the first couple turns. We’ll get to what that thing can do in a little bit as well.

All five of them are capable of attacking in a single turn, but they won’t usually. At least three of them will, and at least one of them will be the chicken. You’ll normally get one per group. So, one of the front balls, one of the back balls, and then the chicken.

Additionally, the crystals are able to use any rune casts that are available to the True Rune wielder.

So, back to our shiny new True Rune. True Earth has this very nifty spell. Canopy Defense basically protects us from one attack per turn, no questions asked. This is A Good Thing.

But yokaiy, you may say. The True Earth Rune is still poo poo because you can’t even use it’s 2nd or 4th level spells in this fight! Well,

Shut up.

It’s true, and it’s also bullshit, but since our enemies are flying/floating, we can’t use our ground-based spells. Which is a shame, because Land of Eternity looks really cool, and you basically never get a chance to use it.

Canopy Defense looks very cool too, though, so we’ll just have to deal with that. And it really does help a lot in this fight. The cock’n’balls combo over here can do a LOT of damage, so being able to nullify some of it is a lifesaver. Especially when I forget to give people Sacrificial Jizos.

Anyway, let’s get into the fight.

Hugo starts us off by hitting the Lightning Rune in it's face(??) a few times.

Chris follows up.

Geddoe zaps. Because the targets are so high up, it can lead to some pretty incomprehensible looking attack angles.

The crystals won't take much damage from their element, but at least it doesn't heal them or anything.

Then Sasarai does the thing. This spell is a little slow to cast, but I don't think I've ever seen it go off after the enemy attacks, and that's all that matters.

The Lightning Crystal went first on the enemy side, right after Sasarai was done. I think this attack counted as a regular attack rather than a spell, because Canopy Defense didn’t stop it.

But it still counted as a magic attack, because Sasarai’s magic block skill went off.

This attack, though, courtesy of the Earth Crystal, got completely nullified. :smug:

(This attack bugs me, though, because I believe it’s the level 2 cast for the True Earth Rune, and it can use it against us though we can’t use it against it.

I guess none of our units are flying or hovering, though.)

Then, it’s Luc’s turn.

He takes to the skies.

And shoots a bunch of green lasers.

Sasarai is going to be pretty untouched in this fight, actually. Everyone else takes moderate damage.

End of the first turn and no one’s dead. Hugo’s close, but that went pretty well overall. But this does prove that Sasarai’s True Earth Rune is indispensable for this fight. If the Earthquake had gone through, Hugo would be dead.

Sasarai is going to spend every turn he can using Canopy Defense, until he runs out of casts. He’s only got three, but that’s fine. It’s very important in the beginning of the fight, but by the time he runs out you should be fine.

Thomas is gonna go ahead and patch up Hugo, since everyone else can probably survive to the end of the turn.

(Special thank-you for whoever it was in the thread that told me where to find that Cyclone Rune!)

I love how quick Wind Rune casts are, especially because this is a really low cast.

The camera was, uh. Having a lot of fun this round.

I swear Hugo is here, somewhere, attacking this ball.

I think this one is Chris???

Geddoe was in a really good position for Furious Blow -- all the balls were lined up in a row.

:allears:

Sasarai supports.

Oh, whoops. This is Chris attacking now, not earlier.

She hits the Lightning Crystal hard enough to destroy it.

The bird shoots some more lasers.

And Sasarai blocks it for the team.

I can’t believe that’s the end of the turn. I guess the Lightning Crystal was going to attack too, but then got killed before it could.

The rest of the team is gonna keep doing what they do best, but this time Joe’s gonna help out with some rune healing.

Now that the Lightning Crystal is out of commission, Geddoe’s dealing great damage to everyone across the board.

Sasarai keeps being Sasarai.

And Joe lays down some heals.

The Fire Crystal is very rude.

But Sasarai has it covered.

I.

Honestly am not sure if this did any damage. I don’t think it did.

Chris takes some whacks at the Fire Crystal, while Hugo (off-screen) takes a shot at the Wind Incarnation.

The bird blocks one of his attacks, but he gets another 4 off no-problem.

It decides to retaliate with this attack. It uses the power it drained from the True Runes, and unleashes it in a shockwave attack.

drat, Sasarai. You’re so good.

Everyone else is in rough shape, though. Sasarai is out of level 3 casts now, too, so he’ll switch to healing.

Geddoe will continue Geddoe-ing.

And Joe and Thomas will maybe actually hit some things maybe finally.

Hugo starts off strong. He manages a couple crits in his string of attacks.

The camera starts off weak, though. It gets pretty confused when the Wind Incarnation is the one getting attacked, because it considers it’s head the target.

The Earth Crystal actually shields itself from this attack, but the rest of them are thoroughly zapped.

And both the Water and Fire Crystals blink out of existence.

Sasarai’s not quite as overpowered as Sarah, since he’s a character we actually get to have, but he’s still really good at magic.

I honestly don’t know who is doing this damage. I think it’s Thomas? Because they hit a few times.

I think this one is Joe.

The Wind Incarnation liked to use this dive-bomb attack a lot more in some of my other runs.

Like it’s other attacks, it hits everyone for middling damage.

It’s only now that the Earth Crystal decides to show off it’s most annoying skill.

I honestly don’t know what this is called, but I hate it. If you see this, don’t cast offensive magic.

If you do,

The magic is absorbed.

And then fired back at you. And it hurts.

I also believe it lasts the whole turn. So yeah, be careful with that. It always comes at the end of a turn and applies to the one after, so you can avoid it well enough if you know to.

Instead, use support magic or healing, and then have anyone else attack regularly.

Hugo hasn’t been using runes anyway, so he’s basically unaffected during the next turn. He’s also close enough to hit the bird directly.

Everyone else hits the Earth Crystal.

Until it breaks, anyway. Then it’s just the Wind Incarnate.

Sasarai finally takes some actual damage.

Things gets kind of sepia when it’s getting low on HP. With no other enemies on the field, everyone is free to pile on the Wind Incarnate.

Okay, I just really like this one of Sasarai mid-teleport. Because walking is beneath him.

A number of people wailed on it, but I have no idea who got the killing blow. It wasn’t Hugo, though.

The bird explodes.

Interestingly, it doesn’t count as a kill for that one; the stars on Chris and Geddoe are for the Crystals instead. Also, we got levels, for whatever that matters at this point.

: "Yes."

: "Destiny? Who are you kidding?"

Himself, Hugo. Himself.

The ground quakes. Really, ancient ruins were probably not the smartest place to have a showdown between gods and those wielding them.

Where the heck were they that they had to run over to the platform?

: "Let's run, Hugo!"

It's not like super clear from this translation, but the intent is to take Luc from the ruins and save his life, not to like, give him a few more wallops before the place collapses.

The shaking gets worse.

They stare at each other.

But no words are exchanged.

Hugo looks back one more time.

And leaves Luc behind.

: "That's right, so let's go. We're all going home."

As our heroes run off through the ruins, we can see some other scenes for some people not in our party. I like the idea of us having a bunch of back-up parties who are keeping monsters at bay in other sections of the ruins.

(There is actually one scene we did not get because of who is in our party, but I'll show it off in an alternate path.)

We start with Fred and Rico running from a horde of monsters.

: "Yes, master!"

They flee.

But Rico trips.

: "Sorry, master."

She runs after him,

But stops and turns back.

: "What now, Rico? Hurry!"

: "Oh no, it's gone. The badge, it's gone!"

: "The badge?"

Nice touch, if you look at the start of this scene, she has a badge on her left arm with the same bird insignia on Fred's armor. After she's tripped, it is no longer on her model.

Oh, that's not too far away. There's just one problem.

Yikes.

: "What are you doing? Leave it be!"

: "No, I won't. It proves that I'm the apprentice of Master Fred of the Maximillian Knights."

That's cute. :3:

: "Rico, don't do this to me! Okay fine, you win!"

Very cute.

: "You're young and inexperienced. Don't worry. They'll be back."

: "How do you know, miss?"

?? Okay.

Nice that she believes in us, I guess.

Sure enough, our heroes are boxed in by monsters.

: "This'll be a bit tougher."

: "We can't get back to the meeting place except through here. Come on!!"

: "Yes. It'd be pretty stupid to die here."

: "Yeah. I've got so many stories of my journey to tell."

The group gets ready for a fight, and the scene fades away.

Looks like everyone got out okay. :unsmith:

: "Yes. I didn't have much to pack, anyway."

: "Beecham, you don't sound very enthusiastic about going back and rebuilding the village. It's still too early to retire, you know."

: "Heh heh heh! I see your point."

Aila is just off screen to Lucia's side; they both walk over to join in the conversation.

The Zexens join them.

: "Of course. We have time."

Lucia and the knights walk off.

Aila, on the other hand, finally realizes that she's missing something. Or, more accurately, that some things are missing her.

: "That's funny. No it can't be..."

She runs off towards the fountain, and Joe takes the opportunity to talk to his son Hugo.

: "Hey, Hugo! Oops, I mean, Flame Champion Hugo! You saved the Grasslands. Maybe someone will write an epic poem about you!"

: "I wanted to be a hero so that I could protect people. I've learned that this can be done by anyone."

Yeah, but you still went and did it. And we're proud of you for that, Hugo.

: "When the True Fire Rune showed me the memories of my predecessor Iroh, I thought I wasn't fit to be the Champion."

I want to Joe to ruffle his hair. He's a good boy.

: "Is it uncomfortable to be labeled a hero, Hugo?"

: "Yeah! So I've learned. I've had enough attention for now."

He can never go back to a normal life, but he can at least go back to a more ordinary one.

: "I suppose so."

I really love this exchange. Hugo's grudge against Chris hasn't magically vanished. And Chris doesn't hold that against him.

: "As Lucia noted, we never know when our paths will cross again. Maybe it'll be in town or a battlefield."

But they're still parting on good terms. Is their friendship perfect? No. The fact that she killed Lulu won't ever go away, and Hugo probably won't ever get over that. But they can still move past it together. They still respect each other as people.

She offers Hugo her hand.

But he has no idea what to do with it.

Another instance where I don't think the translation is doing this scene much justice.

: "Yep, I'm coming."

: "?"

I'm sorry, I love this scene!!

: "This is a Grassland-style farewell. All right. See you, Chris."

: "Yep! All through."

: "OK, let's go! First we'll reconstruct our village. Then, Hugo, you'll need a lot of training to become my successor."

And you thought becoming the successor of a True Rune was tough!

: "Ugh! I hope you haven't decided to make me chief just yet."

: "You are the Flame Champion. Who else can become the next chief, Hugo?"

: "Heh heh heh! Don't ask. Just listen to your mother! Good luck with the training."

:haw:

: "Kuuee!"

:unsmith:

Well, that's it, guys. Aside from our two alternate routes, this is the end of the game.

I want to thank everyone for being here for this LP. We've been through a lot, you know. I couldn't have done it without you.

It's a long game, and it's not without problems, but this is one of my favorite games and I'm so glad I got to share it with you all.

A special thank you to vilkacis for doing pretty much every other game in the series, and a thank you to everyone who drew art for the thread and came up with those card story ideas and made me laugh and smile, and just having a lot of great discussion with me and each other about this game and this series. I love you all.

I’d also like to thank Zo for helping me out with the first bit of this game, when I was far too nervous to do this LP on my own.

Well, that’s it! The en--

--d.

Just kidding.

See you next time!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oh my God 2016 delivered

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so glad you came back to finish this off!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

:D

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
YES!

I feel better about 2017 already.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Wait what? When the gently caress did Bright become a goddamn outer space dragon?! Does Futch need a spacesuit for that?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope you guys aren't expecting that last minute chaos/dharma plot point to lead anywhere, because it never gets brought up again in any of the subsequent games, and the series is currently quite dead, probably forever. Hooray!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope you guys aren't expecting that last minute chaos/dharma plot point to lead anywhere, because it never gets brought up again in any of the subsequent games, and the series is currently quite dead, probably forever. Hooray!

I mean, it's basically the Circle Rune vs. everything else. But yes, the series is quite dead, and may it rest in peace. They advanced the metaplot - such as it was - so little over the course of FIVE GAMES (not counting lovely spinoffs) that I can't even be mad about it anymore.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

literally perfect

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
A boss fight like this needs some epic boss fight music!!

But I don't have any for you so you'll have to settle for this.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Holy hell!!

An update?!

I'm so happy :downs:

It's really sad that Suikoden didn't follow up on the story that was developed at the very end there and instead decided it would be better killing itself with terrible sequels.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the director leave Konami between this game and IV? If the main driving force bows out, I can understand later dev teams not wanting to gently caress too much with his story on the off chance that he'd come back. Or maybe they thought the metaplot wasn't as interesting as the nitty gritty political drama.

gently caress if I know though, the only things I know about these games are the Let's Plays.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The one time I played through Suikoden 3 (it's pretty long) the final boss got one or perhaps two attacks off. Most of the orbs died on round one, the boss lasted until the second round. Good to know that he can do cool things that I never saw, because Emily and Juan can punch really hard and in this game punching trumps everything. I suspect you can pretty easily murder him before he gets to attack at all if you're lucky with the Fury rune targeting, but I too felt obliged to fill the rest of my party with a bunch lightweight True Rune wielders instead more actual powerhouses.

Also

dammit game, way to skip the important events. :argh:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Glad to see that this is getting the wrap-up it deserves.

Also, don't know if yokaiy mentioned it, but the appearance of Luc and the others on the ending is only a SLIGHT surprise if you're particularly diligent; their names also appear on the Stone Tablet once you've obtained all of the other 104 Stars of Destiny. I believe the earliest that can happen is after Duke and company join after losing the True Lightning Rune, though the names might only appear at a certain point after that.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I knew I wasn't pointlessly bumping a dead thread.

Yokaiy you're a hero.

Bufuman posted:

Also, don't know if yokaiy mentioned it, but the appearance of Luc and the others on the ending is only a SLIGHT surprise if you're particularly diligent; their names also appear on the Stone Tablet once you've obtained all of the other 104 Stars of Destiny. I believe the earliest that can happen is after Duke and company join after losing the True Lightning Rune, though the names might only appear at a certain point after that.

I remember feeling a little disappointed that Luc was a star until that last flame popped up.

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011
Chiming in just to say woo, we're almost there! And it's also very easy to be wrecked by that boss if you don't have powerhouses+bring the true rune users and get unlucky enough for the Earth Rune to use that magic reflect thing almost every turn, forcing physical attacks on the runes, then having that water rune revive the thing you just killed so you can't even deal with it. Yeah, total bullshit.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Alacron posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the director leave Konami between this game and IV? If the main driving force bows out, I can understand later dev teams not wanting to gently caress too much with his story on the off chance that he'd come back. Or maybe they thought the metaplot wasn't as interesting as the nitty gritty political drama.

gently caress if I know though, the only things I know about these games are the Let's Plays.

He actually left during the development of this game. I'm not too sure on the specifics, but I think Konami dicked him over so he left the exact day his 10-year-or-whatever-it-was-contract was up, even though this game was still in the works and like only a month or so away from release.

Bufuman posted:

hanales posted:

I knew I wasn't pointlessly bumping a dead thread.

Yokaiy you're a hero.

I remember feeling a little disappointed that Luc was a star until that last flame popped up.

Yeah, I lied a little bit when I said Sasarai and Dios were our last stars. Yes, they're the last stars we are capable of getting, but they only bring the count up to 104. Your present for getting 104/108 is learning that Luc, Sarah, Yuber, and Albert are your 105-108. And then getting a Luc chapter.

Eruza posted:

Chiming in just to say woo, we're almost there! And it's also very easy to be wrecked by that boss if you don't have powerhouses+bring the true rune users and get unlucky enough for the Earth Rune to use that magic reflect thing almost every turn, forcing physical attacks on the runes, then having that water rune revive the thing you just killed so you can't even deal with it. Yeah, total bullshit.

Yeah, you can get reeeaaally unlucky in this fight. My Hugo run and Chris runs ended up being pretty good, but my Geddoe run was rough.

Poque posted:

literally perfect

Xerophyte posted:

Also

dammit game, way to skip the important events. :argh:

:haw: Some of the epilogue blurbs are pretty great. Amazingly, some of them actually change slightly depending on who your FC is. Which, first off, why, but also, holy poo poo? Who is going to notice that?! The only one I can remember is Nash, so he might actually be the only one. I'll show it off in the Chris version.

And then you've got some which make no sense if Hugo is your FC because there are some plot bits you only get in either the other two routes or the bonus Luc chapter after the game ends. Looking at you, Sasarai.

Also, I wanna thank you guys for sticking around, and I'm very sorry about the long absence. :shobon:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Oh my god, it's back! :neckbeard:

yokaiy posted:

(Special thank-you for whoever it was in the thread that told me where to find that Cyclone Rune!)

You're welcome. :3: Back when this game first out, I played it and nothing else for literally an entire year. No, I am not exaggerating in the slightest. I really did nothing but play and replay this game for whole year. I learned a lot of neat little things (like being able to leave the Flame Champ's Hideout at the start of Ch.4) and I'm glad some of that knowledge was useful to someone in some way.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Hey, I've only played like a third of the series! ...so far.

Well, poo poo, I had honestly given up hope on this thread, but I'm glad to see you back!

Also, now that we're here, I will tell the tale of my first run through this fight. (That sounds far more grand than it deserves.) I had Hugo as the flame champ and stuffed his party full of karayans, griffins, ducks, and also Lily because I had a spot over. It was a pretty good team, but way underprepared, so they died horribly. But Hugo had kind of high-tier healing item that granted invincibility for a bit, and he ended up inhaling those and killing the RIncar on his own while riding on Fubar. It was pretty great... if not very dignified.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

yokaiy posted:

Yeah, I lied a little bit when I said Sasarai and Dios were our last stars. Yes, they're the last stars we are capable of getting, but they only bring the count up to 104. Your present for getting 104/108 is learning that Luc, Sarah, Yuber, and Albert are your 105-108. And then getting a Luc chapter.

Man the Luc chapter is so so good. It's what I've been looking forward to since I first discovered this LP.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I.... completely forgot about the empty world thing.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Testekill posted:

I.... completely forgot about the empty world thing.

So did everyone else. There was no sign of it in IV and V. I remember it, but not there being encounters inside of it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Empty world and somehow beep boops. I am curious what was supposed to happen to create that future, honestly. The runes were drawing all the power into themselves? They kept getting used for conflict and ran out?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Honestly it was kind of a weird plot revelation that came entirely out of nowhere and I'm glad they dropped it completely.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I'm not sure where they could have gone with it other than where Luc did.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

From what I understand, Yuber and Pesmerga were supposed to be integral to the metaplot, such that their final battle was basically going to be the end.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

From what I understand, Yuber and Pesmerga were supposed to be integral to the metaplot, such that their final battle was basically going to be the end.

And neither of them showed up at all after III. Yuber was popular enough that the people working on IV and V could have shoehorned him in for a cameo or something if they'd wanted to. Bringing him back after III would mean they'd have to explain more about him in a way that they didn't with Jeanne and Viki.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm so glad this excellent LP is back! :dance:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Podima posted:

I mean, it's basically the Circle Rune vs. everything else. But yes, the series is quite dead, and may it rest in peace. They advanced the metaplot - such as it was - so little over the course of FIVE GAMES (not counting lovely spinoffs) that I can't even be mad about it anymore.

Well, firing the head writer half way through the third game sorta does that. It's all but confirmed that he was brought back to pen Suikoden V's story due to how it worked with what meta was left from the first three... But by then the fatal blow IV did was too advanced to save anything.

Now Konami makes Pachinko.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

My personal favorite. Have to wonder if its just a localization joke on Animal House and its related epilogue things, or the original meaning.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Fister Roboto posted:

Honestly it was kind of a weird plot revelation that came entirely out of nowhere and I'm glad they dropped it completely.

It made sense to me.

I figured it had to do with the Head-Honcho in Harmonia with the Circle rune, since his goal is to collect all of the runes and bring absolute order to the world.

And what is absolute order? Stagnation, unchanging, stillness.

Preventing him from succeeding and bringing about the empty world would have been a MUCH better suikoden 4 then what we got.

Plus the games keeps alluding that the Runes are sentient. Getting ANY look at their thought process is better than nothing.

Regardless, Geddoe has the best response to the whole situation with Luc. Though Geddoe usually has the best responses period :allears:

mauman fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Yesssssssss! :dance:
Great News, the LP is back!

And as usual, the end of a Suikoden game bestow on us an abundance of mistery clues, little slices of lives, a bit of tragedies and a few tranquil endings.

• Locked thread