Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Vil posted:

To twist the knife a bit, the Suikoden II clear data must in turn have imported Suikoden I clear data in order to get the full benefit.

But the bonuses are just so fantastic that you put up with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Edit: Well, I've messed something up in that quote.

I wonder if Fubar was the original name of the griffon in Japanese and they were unaware of what it's an acronym for or if it was a joke made by the translators.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 12, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I enjoy the Saint Loa Knights part. They're pretty likable kids in general and the sidequest is actually a nice little challenge since you can't rely on Fubar for damage during it. Plus completing it gets another scene later on IIRC.

Also, Fred is just another example of the Maximilian Knights being frigging amazing. I'm pretty sure that being a little crazy is a requirement for membership.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

... really? I assume you're talking chapter 5 here? Not to say there aren't some relatively decent randoms in that area but... man. I'm not sure we played the same game.

Yeah, the Ancient Highway is perfect for leveling at that point.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

If memory serves, you DO get locked into a dungeon once you go there at that stage. Just... regardless of how long it's been since you used Geddoe or his team you should be able to win fights and catch up in levels. While levels are relatively less useful than equipment or skills they're still useful when you get 5 of them in a shot, which characters you haven't used for a couple dungeons will definitely do.

You don't get transported there straight away though. Although being trapped there without decent skills or equipment would be tough.

But lets face it, Geddoe has a rock-solid default party that can handle most threats. You're not lugging around a painfully average character like Hugo does with Lulu.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

yokaiy posted:

Thomas and Cecile get pretty screwed as well, but the plot accounts for that by pairing their weak butts up with a huge badass. And then having them not really do any fighting anyway.

Thomas and Cecile are surprisingly good characters. Their skills are incredibly expensive but Thomas gets very close to capping swing while Cecile gets really high shield and armor defense.

But you're right that Juan makes things so much easier for them.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Zosephine posted:

Not to mention if you recruit Augustine with Thomas. I love that guy.

Augustine and all Narcissists in general are fantastic. Seriously my favorite type of character in Suikoden.

yokaiy posted:

I do indeed. And the (tentative) order is as follows.

Hugo 1
Chris 1
Geddoe 1
Thomas 1
Chris 2
Hugo 2
Geddoe 2
Hugo 3
Thomas 2
Geddoe 3
Chris 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

The first 7 parts are definite, it's when we start getting to Thomas 2 and the chapter 3 parts that I'm still not 100% sure, but this will most likely be the order. Unless I switch Hugo 3 and Thomas 2.

e: If anyone has suggestions for the later chapters' order, and think it would make sense to do it another way, I am open to hearing your thoughts.

I would swap Chris 3 and Hugo 3 around. Hugo rocks up during a major event in her story so it would make sense for her version to come first.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

Character design is definitely one of SIII's few strengths. I like the artist, and much of the character artwork was a refreshing improvement over II's.

I'd probably have it as having the best character design overall in the series. There's only a couple of really generic or boring looking characters in the game.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Has Lulu been responsible for everything going wrong for the group? Let's bench him and bench him quickly.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Man, I'd forgotten how depressing as gently caress this bit is. While I do consider Lulu to be a bit of a pain in the rear end, he's a kid that's in a position that he's never been in before. Not to mention his death was, while not entirely avoidable, still didn't have to happen.

Gotta say that the Knights don't come out smelling like roses, especially after Chris' first chapter.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

What.

And that's actually my reaction as I do not remember this at all.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Have you ever checked out the celtic arrangements of Suikoden songs that Konami released? There's actually some pretty great ones such as 'Hurry to Karaya' which added a lot to the original versions.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 1, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

But it also seemed like some of the Zexen council want to assassinate Chris for... being too popular?

Chris shows barely hidden disdain towards some of the council members and she seems to be a beloved figure so it's not unlikely that she could cause some problems by speaking out against them.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Wow, I really haven't played this in a while. I thought that Dupa was just perpetually angry although he's going to have a reason to be soon.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

Are you sure? We get Bazba, Dupa, and Shiba, but I'm pretty sure there's only the three lizards, putting them in a tie with Ducks among the non-human races.

You forgot Peggi the blacksmith.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Veyrall posted:

Given the way the Council acts at times, I'm almost certain that a Money-Wall is literally their plan.

Built entirely with potch? Wait, is potch paper money or coins?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Yep, Shiba is the biggest of units. He's actually probably the strongest beastman unit in the entire series although that is a very low standard to be perfectly honest. Until you recruit him and Dupa, I was always convinced that Dupa would be the strongest and Shiba would just be a mountain of HP.
Whereas Bazba is just a mediocre wind mage (He maxes out at C or B) and brutally average fighter.

But that aside, it's almost time to be depressed again.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Verant posted:

Silent protagonists may work for a 2D game, but it gets awkward in 3D (I'm looking at you, Lazlo and Freyjadour), and it really helped the quality of the story to give Hugo, Chris, Geddoe, and Thomas their own voices rather than let everyone around them speak for them.

The big problem with silent protagonists is when they can't emote. Freyjadour is actually pretty expressive even if he never says a goddamn word.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The Phoenix rune really annoys me. It's actually not that strong since it only deals double damage which means that Chris can do about the same amount of damage with heavy damage and swing upgraded as high as possible and her normal attacks don't unbalance her so she can do more damage in two turns using her basic attack in comparison to one turn with the phoenix rune.

I also have another problem with it but I'll get into it when you show off the normal version of it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Now it's time for someone that is barely connected to the other stories but still feels like a whole lot of poo poo is going down. Are you going to play as Thomas after Geddoe?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

yokaiy posted:

Chris is still easily one of my favorites in this game, yes, but this man is just so :allears:. There's a point in the game later where he pretty much secured his place as my favorite character, and I cannot wait until we get there. (It won't be for a really long time though.)

If you're talking about the part that I'm thinking of, you need to GIF it because it is both badass and hilarious.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

RentCavalier posted:

The real problem with three protagonists is that the game takes three times as long to actually get to being good--i.e. open for recruitment and poo poo.

Well, we've already met the best character. We only have to wait until chapter two for the other best character. Whose chapter two? You figure it out.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I would love to see some art of the Saint Loa Knights.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 2, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Verant posted:

Dang, that's a pretty big spoiler.

Anyhoo, there was something that came to mind recently. Suikoden is a series that rarely has your traditional perfectly pure heroes fighting against pure evil; everyone's human, and one's heroic actions could be seen as villainous by another. Of course, there are some exceptions through the series, such as folks who have drifted to evil after suffering a massive mental breakdown or horrifically traumatic event, such as Windy and Luca, or those who are just...well, evil, like Kraze, Kanaan, Grady, and Neclord.

To expand upon this, the characters that are unredeemable are generally the ones who are corrupt bureaucrats.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

yokaiy posted:

:"I don't get paid enough for this..."

Yay, a new page! You guys are awesome, thanks for helping me out with that. I can't PM so I can't ask him/her to unspoil it that way, nor can I contact any mods and ask them to edit it for him/her. Which sucks, because wow that spoiler.

Someone has already reported it. And that top drawing is just adorable.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Lotish posted:

I agree. What exactly what Ace going on about that annoyed Queen and Joker? Just some goofy story that's never relevant? I kind of wish we'd heard it.

It's probably Hitman Bravo

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

vilkacis posted:

I do hope it's not habit-forming.

Nothing wrong with the outfit, but those collapsing swords look so silly.

Come on, are you going to tell him that they look silly?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Here's hoping that you do Thomas next (or Hugo but whatever) as it makes a really nice change of pace to the other chapters. I'll be sure to comment on his guys qualities when we check them out fully.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

MrCinos posted:

Suikogaiden I finally get's an English translation. Deserves a mention since from what I heard it has connection with Suikoden 1-3.

Goddamn, I thought that project was dead. Still though, I'd love to be able to play the Gaidens as they're the only Suikodens that I haven't played.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Holy hell, that salt is expensive! Looks like Frey's hoarding has led to a world wide shortage.

A worldwide shortage that lasted nearly 30 years.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Verbose posted:

How old is Ace supposed to be anyway? Here he looks like he's 50 or something, but in the comic he looks way younger.

Also I thought Geddoe could go to S in lightning magic.

I'd say that he's mid 30's to early 40's. He was one of Gilberts mercenaries during Suikoden II (he ran the rope climb minigame) and he looked like a grown man there.

EDIT: I don't remember you bringing it up Yokaiy but is this tidbit alright or were you going to talk about it?

Testekill fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 5, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

How much longer until Hugo chapter two? I want my other favorite character.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Cecile is actually a pretty good character. She starts with terrible equipment and her skills take forever to upgrade but she can get an A+ in damage & shield defense. Her only drawback is that she doesn't get an open rune slot so she can't use the firefly rune which reduces her tanking effectiveness.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Veyrall posted:

Cecile is a bubbly personality done right, and I think she's half the reason I found most of the "bubbly" airheads in Final Fantasy as annoying as I did. Cecile being so young really helps explain her ways, and she's not being "cute" just for the sake of it, unlike Selphie or Yuffie. It really is surprising just how likable most of the characters in this game are.

Even Guillame manages to be so horrendous that he wraps back around into being this enormous walking cartoon.

Cecile is quite adorable. She just seems so happy to be able to be taking after her father. And Guillame works to a certain degree because he is mustache twirlingly villainous.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

FairGame posted:

That character is terrible. Hugo does get some cool people exclusive to his chapters, but she isn't one of 'em.

I disagree, she's awesome because of how much of a spoilt, egomaniacal bitch she is.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

It would be interesting to scan a sample of pages to show how some things went differently in the manga. I've recently purchased and read through the first four volumes and the pacing is faster (to its detriment) but it also executes some things differently. I've pretty much paid 20 or 30 bucks all up for the first four volumes after buying them off of ebay so, if you know where to buy them from, they're not really that expensive.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 17, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Might as well get the :effort: option out of the way.

You think that is the :effort: option then I have something to show you.

Boom, probably less than zero effort. Thomas doesn't strike me as someone that can grow a proper beard and instead he gets a short and terribly made one.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

FairGame posted:

No joke: Augustine is probably in like the top 5 most powerful characters in the game. He and Milich can hang out in the "Narcissists that are actually useful" club.

I'd say that he is in context of when he can be recruited earliest. While his armor is really nice at this point of time, it can't be removed and his damage output isn't anything amazing considering his sky high swing and parry rates. By the endgame, he'll probably have fallen to the wayside some time ago.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

yokaiy posted:

Sniffles are also a serious concern in the taking over of the Great Hollow, yes.

Help -- I drew Roland and it turned out cute! :stonk:

Blasted elf lover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

This was the first game in the series that I played, so when I got to this part I was all "what the gently caress are Harmonians?" Without going into much detail, for those not in the know, this means that poo poo just got real.

Once the Harmonians start appearing, that's when poo poo goes down at an exponential pace.

• Locked thread