Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Even my tail feathers concur.

djw175 posted:

So as someone who doesn't know about Suikoden very much, who or what is this flame champion? Did I miss an explanation?

You have missed absolutely nothing. The Flame Champion will be explained later; we just had to name him. He's the guy in red with the feathers on his head in the opening.

Also, yes I am that Zosephine up there, talking in underlined text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

yokaiy posted:

By the magical powers of photoshop, I can do whatever you want. Only the bottom eyes?

Looks real weird, man.

Looks like we found your new avatar.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

My biggest complaint about III is probably how your character controls in the overworld. There are lots of flaws you can point out and I will forgive, but the awkwardness of walking around and opening doors is one of the few that I forgive the least (if that makes any sense).

It's not obvious in screenshot form, but on my very first playthrough of III yokaiy and I decided early on that the player-controlled character(s) must be quite drunk. :cheers:

My other chief complaint (as well as one of the things I like best about III) will come into play much, much later.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Shiki Dan posted:

You constantly have to grind for SOMEthing (be it levels, potch, or SP) if you want to bring characters up to speed. In a series known for being as anti-grinding as possible. You also have a ton of characters that you are required to use at some point of another. I think there's seriously like at least 30 characters in the game who are required to be in your battle party at one point or another; all of which will probably need at least some training, skills, armor, and weapon sharpening.
With other games in the series, you are forced to lug around painfully mediocre-to-terrible characters at certain points (KRIN :argh:) but raising them was a matter of taking them to newest area and doing about 5-6 quick random battles to let them catch up.
Not so in Suikoden 3, however. The fact that much more of the game is on rails and cuts off access to certain areas only makes it harder.

I actually found the catch-up leveling to be relatively easy in this game. I ended up getting a dog to about level 50 pretty much accidentally.

yokaiy posted:

However, Suikoden has a nice treat for dragging low level characters into areas they have no right to be in. Scaled experience. If they can just survive a few battles, Alanis and Melville will be able to catch up to the others pretty easily. Case in point, Melville got nearly four levels in that one battle.

Maybe I just have low standards, but I thought the scaled experience was one of this game's best features.

In conclusion:

yokaiy posted:

Suikoden leveling. :allears:

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Okay, that makes more sense to me. I envy your ability to comprehend others and be coherent at the same time. :blush:

The only characters I can think of that come into play while under leveled are the five Zexen Knights other than Chris, and that is pretty much at the endgame. They just don't get enough playtime with me to have them be any use in the final stretch, and I have enough other options to not bother with grinding, training, sharpening, etc. for them. Granted, they aren't necessary at that point in the game, but it would be kind of nice and sentimental to have them there (at least for one go-round; mixing up parties is a lot of fun!).

Zosephine fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 20, 2013

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Testekill posted:

But you're right that Juan makes things so much easier for them.

Not to mention if you recruit Augustine with Thomas. I love that guy.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

You're welcome.

This part definitely cemented Joe into place as my favorite character. Lulu and Hugo are both like nephews to him, and he just saw the younger struck down. He can't even hate the person who did it, because he knows she acted on instinct. He's a warrior too.

Joe has to be feeling just as devastated as Hugo, but he sees the tragedy through the lens of years of battle. It was a pointless death that could have been avoided with experience. Doubtless he does not want Hugo to meet a similar fate.

quote:

What makes you think you can protect anyone?! You are skilled at hunting, but what happened here is war. It's childish to presume such invincibility.

Hunting is not war. To die hunting is different than dying at war. If one names an enemy and attacks, as Lulu did, he must expect his own life to be in peril. A warrior accepts this way of death.

This may seem harsh at first, but it's comforting in its own way. Hugo blames himself for Lulu's death, and probably will for his entire life. Hugo is a trained hunter, but this was his first taste of war. As the son of a leading chief of the Grasslands, he will see more death and fighting very soon. Hugo needs to learn now that he cannot blame himself for every death and injury, because when a warrior fights, they know what they're getting into.

Hugo has to grow up. Fast. Joe knows it won't be easy, but drat if he won't try to help.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

It seems to me that this game either twists or flat out ignores many of the classic RPG staples.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

yokaiy posted:

I think this is a common opinion. Joe is one of my favorites, and I know that he is the favorite for both Zosephine and TheAsterite (who I promise will crawl out from under his rock to help with commentary soon).

Joe is definitely my favorite, but once we get out of Hugo's chapter/further on in the story there are other characters I like almost as much.

Most of them are the weird ones.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You can attack nearby units even if there aren't small circles connecting big spaces? How can you judge if a unit is in range of another?

You can attack long-range if there are runes involved, but we don't have those yet.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

With the Karayan massacre on Borus's head (if only for a minute), I would like to point out that his full name is Borus Redrum.

:science:

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

I thought that either the game or the manga (my memory on this is super fuzzy) implied that Borus went into some sort of rage and did indeed do it.

But now that I think about it, it might have been Yuber or somebody.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Well now I'm imagining any of the characters not in the current chapter chilling out in the green room.

No one is drinking tea angrily in this wonderful, ethereal, actually kind of grimy place. Upon each chapter's end and the return to the Trinity Altar, the voice of the mysterious Stage Manager manifests and announces the next character.

Lulu has already gone out for drinks at this point.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Calax posted:

Is Lulu now taking an all expense paid trip to some Bahama island because his role is complete?

The characters who die as part of the plot get a bonus. The ones who die via user incompetence get a punching bag in their dressing room.

Lulu is the King of Mai-tais on that Bahama island.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

yokaiy posted:

So, on that note, let's discuss things or something! I don't know, share your thoughts on stuff. Maybe I'll type out some more character blurbs or something, if there's anyone you all want to see especially. I know there was a request for the Saint Loa Knights, so maybe them. Hell, maybe I'll doodle some stupid things if you've got any requests there, too. Just want to get this off the page, really.

Draw the Grand Holly. Face your fears! :unsmigghh:

OR, let's talk about skills! I didn't learn until maybe... mid-game that Swing is loving radical, at least on the fast characters.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Image21 posted:

I remember Hugo having really good Swing because I think I once hit someone 9 times in one attack round with him.

Holy poo poo! :aaaaa: Yo, you HAVE to go for the record. Any idea how high Hugo's swing can go?

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

If i remember correctly Melville wears his bandanna kind of like his dad's.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Well poo poo, now everybody knows it's a guy! It's only a matter of time before they figure it out! :stare:

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

So the next update is a thing that is happening; yokaiy is putting it together as I type. It's freaking LONG, and chock-full of screencaps for your amusement.

The only preview that I can give you is: piles of bodies.

e: Also, a lot of poo poo happened for us only walking three feet.

Zosephine fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 9, 2013

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

mageofthesands posted:

Fifth, it's totally Queen's business about who Geddoe finds attractive. Ace and Joker have each other, Jacques has a sidekick and Queen has Geddoe. She's The Chick of the group, so has to be into the Lead Male Figure. Maybe. I don't know. It's not spelled out anywhere, making us come to our own conclusions. Which is a strength of Suikoden III.

I like to imagine Queen as a lesbian. Then her relationship with a rival can take a different dynamic, depending on your tastes.

As can this line.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

AMReese posted:

I almost thought you'd be doing what I did, and start the quest with Augustine.

Oh I get the feeling that yokaiy is saving them for something very special. :allears:

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

You do get a means to teleport, but it's really late in the game.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

FairGame posted:

That character is terrible. Hugo does get some cool people exclusive to his chapters, but she isn't one of 'em.

In that case I think you may enjoy how she is introduced in the manga. Yokaiy, does that count as a spoiler? :ohdear:

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Thomas should do pretty well when he starts needing to have people disappeared.

Indeed, I have found Augustine to be quite an asset when Thomas needs people to be dispatched quickly, efficiently, and fabulously.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

What? How is Hugo shorter than Thomas?

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

I want to say Chris should stand up for herself and not apologize for her actions, but wow have the Karayans been handed the short end of the stick lately. So my vote is for #2: But it was for Zexen.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

yokaiy posted:

It's actually sort of an inside joke between me and Zosephine, from when she was playing through for the first time. True Runes haven't really been doing anything in the story yet, but a fair number of them pop up or are mentioned all at once a bit later, so she was joking that she'd flip something if Sgt. Joe ended up pulling one out of his rear end.

I'm not entirely sure at this point whether the flipping of a table would have been out of frustration over yet another True Rune asspull or elation that my favorite character was a secret powerhouse.

I also may have been a tad frustrated about some spoilers sorry friend :ssh:

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

vilkacis posted:

I dunno, it kind of assumes the reader is familiar with a meme that's upwards ten years old by now.

Don't worry, I got your joke in less than five whole minutes! :haw:

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

I've been playing enough Fire Emblem: Awakening lately to appreciate the fact that this game actually uses the word "bastard" when it wants to.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

yokaiy posted:

And then, also Jimba. Who was there because... he is friends with Dupa? I got nothin'.

He was looking to alarm the man-harem and get up in Chris's grill. :heysexy:

Alert the Man-Harem! Code Red! Suitor off the port bow!

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

I'm going to vote for eavesdrop from three feet away and heck no, lady, I got spy poo poo to do!

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Analyze the poo poo out of the Duck Village.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Go get your stab on, Hugo!

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Thomas's Castle. That way, when the Zexans come back and try to take it away, he can just point at the sign and prove it's actually his. :pseudo:

This and Riovanes castle look like the big contenders this time. My vote is for Thomas's Castle, since it showcases our astounding problem solving skills. :downs:

edit: Or, rather, my vote is the grammatically correct version of my previous entry. :downsgun:

Zosephine fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 24, 2014

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

My vote is for Geddoe. Hugo makes the most sense for a heartwarming coming-of-age plot, but all of the thread's Geddoe love has swayed me.

Also I've already seen Hugo with the TFR, just so you know my bias.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Szurumbur posted:

Honestly, if they can't fit the names they should've replace it with something else that fits - I had no idea what the mashup was supposed to mean until you pointed it out, but naming the Boss "Fire Rune" wouldn't really be that bad, would it? Or "RuneDragon"? It's not the first enemy that has that problem, but obviously, but this one is exceptionally silly.

"FireRIncar" is really out there, I agree. Maybe they REALLY wanted "incarnation" or "incarnate" to come to mind.

The name that I have the most trouble with is BoneSldr (Bone Soldier). I read it as "Bone Slider" to this day.

The step-by-step rundown of that battle was really nice, Yokaiy. I think it would be interesting to break down other hard battles that way. We haven't seen many (or any?) fights in that much detail before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Well, I came back for the big vote.

Bishounen Unite and Koroku.

• Locked thread