Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

yokaiy posted:

While we're at silly things, though, I doodle a thing.

Beautiful. A perfect palette cleanser for the madness that the FE Rom Hack just produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm going to be honest, I am liking Geddoe's crew a lot more than Hugo or Chris' crews. I just don't know exactly why, but Geddoe and co. seem more fun than the other two groups.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

yokaiy posted:

Brilliant. :allears:

I may have to draw this when the time comes.
My only request: DO NOT FORGET Jayne's hat. Or there will be consequences. :colbert:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Can't think of a better vote than this one.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Verbose posted:

I like the idea of Geddoe as a fantasy CIA man.

"So Geddoe, where are you from?"
"I could tell you but then I'd have to electrocute you."
That sounds like too much effort for Geddoe. He'd probably go for the lazy option.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Nadir....you are weird. :stare: Just saying.

Also, Geddoe and his massive amounts of :effort: never fail to amaze me. :allears: Something tells me it's only going to get better from here on out with him.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Ace is 34 if Suikosource is to be believed (born in 441, S3 takes place in 475).
:raise:
...he definitely doesn't LOOK like he's 34. But then again, people age differently, so Ace being 34 while looking like he's 50-something isn't too odd.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wow. Thomas is already shaping up to be a blend of :smith:overdrive and :3:. I also do like the contrast to everyone else we've seen; Hugo is a Grasslander who just lost his home, Chris is a Zexan knight with conflicting feelings over her duties/superiors, Geddoe is :effort: made humanoid, while Thomas is just a kid trying to be normal and establish a life for himself. I look forward to seeing his chapters.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Good lord, Juan. At least Geddoe is entertaining in his laziness. You...you are a lazy douchebag who needs an item just so you don't enter battle asleep. You're lucky you are also a Bujutsu Teacher, otherwise I'd probably weld AND Krazy Glue your rear end to the bench if I was playing. In that order, no less.

Also, Little Thomas. You hear a story from an experienced and trained martial artist about beating up one creature, and you decide you can repeat his feat yourself. CHARLES DARWIN is cursing from his grave at how natural selection just got cockblocked by the player.

At least Muto's moment of derp made me chuckle. And then go all :ughh:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dancingbears posted:

Bench Juan? No way. He may not look it, and he may have some rune issues, but Juan is a goddamned combat monster. Sure, you have to give him something to prevent sleep, but it is entirely worth it for his wrecking machine level Skills. An A in Swing and an S in Continual Attack, combined with the light weight of fists, means he'll be hitting a good dozen times every round, and an S in Heavy Damage means a lot of those will be crits. Juan is one of the two most broken fighters in the entire game.
Eh, I think what's turning me off to Juan right now is how the game presents his character. He's clearly the "Lazy but brilliant expert" person (and those people can be fun to use/watch, don't get me wrong), but with his special Rune on top of his personality, it feels like a case of taking a character type and deciding to go full-on :regd08: to the point where it feels too excessive.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Might as well get the :effort: option out of the way.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Speedball posted:

Augustine kind of has a Cary Elway look, doesn't he?
Oh good. I'm glad I'm not the only one expecting Augustine to start quoting "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" randomly.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Calax posted:

Not princess Bride? Fits better.
Eh, Augustine looks more like he walked out of Men in Tights instead of Princess Bride, from my perspective.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Your art never stops being wonderful. :allears:

But...seriously, stop shying away from adding your work to the front page. Only "Angry Tea" is up there.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pick option #4

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Apple Syrup posted:

Come to think of it. Most of Chris' man-harem fit a couple of VN archetypes... sort of. Maybe if you squint a touch.
Let's see......

Louis: The shota.
Roland: Shy, quiet type.
Borus: Hot-headed brash type.
Salome: Level-headed, normal type.
Percival: Flirty type.
Leo: Older, more mature type(?).

Yeah. Aside from Leo being the odd one out....the Zexan Knights are flat-out reverse harem VN archetypes. It's...actually kind of hilarious in retrospect.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

yokaiy posted:

Oh dear. Should I be worried? Is there some sort of LPer curse where our computers explode or something? :ohdear:
Well, for the Fire Emblem LPs there is such a curse. Not sure about other games, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You spelled Alfred's last name wrong. It's Pennyworth, not Pennywise. Pennywise is the name of the clown from "Stephen King's It" played by Tim Curry.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

mageofthesands posted:

My theory regarding Sasarai's hat: The fifth time a scene had to be reworked due to the hat covering up other people, the animators revolted.
That's my feeling as well, even though I'm very unfamiliar with the series outside of the current LPs of 3 and 5. If the hat in yokaiy's drawing is to scale, then either the hat was obstructing characters/backgrounds/objects too much for the director/artists' preferences or its color shading bled out into the background too much. We've seen that the game engine can handle headwear like a bowler hat, a Stetson, Augustine's hat and various helmets, so it's probably the size of the hat or problems with color shading that resulted in its removal.

Which is a shame, because if the hat really is the same size as yokaiy's rendering, it would have been so goofy and silly that I wouldn't be able to take Sasarai seriously.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Eavesdrop from 3 feet away and Listen to the Lady.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Interrogate them, Batman style.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Goddammit, game! :argh:
Such a tease of a cliffhanger.

That said, seeing Thomas again will be nice.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, Caesar is already winning me over. First big battle he's involved in, and he's actually doing what a strategist should do: come up with ideas and then explain them to everyone, including the player. Plus, I don't want to punch him in the face for being "Vague And Mysterious Because gently caress You, That's Why", unlike another strategist from the series.

Also, Caesar being perma-:smug: might have something to do with it. Maybe.

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 1, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Voting for Thomas' Castle, since it adds a little bit of security to Thomas' claim. Mind you, it's not much, but it's something.

The bad news train is going to make a big (unannounced) return visit again next time, isn't it? :ohdear:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

quote:

I'm going to borrow this image to point out something: I like how Nash isn't stealing the spotlight in Chris' story. Even though there's a good chance you'd come in SIII and not know about Nash's little side adventures, he doesn't overstep his role as Chris' primary support. It could have been very easy for Konami to give into temptation and have Nash suddenly be more than a supporting role and overtake Chris in her story as he was a previous Suikoden protagonist. But no, the writers reign in Nash's presence and use him both as a voice of reason and as support (emotional and physical) to Chris, but don't go too far and keep the focus on Chris.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I can't help but laugh at Aila's new outfit.

Mostly because it looks like something out of the real world and not from a JRPG world. Granted, Geddoe's entire group looks reasonably dressed, but still have a few fantasy touches to their costume design here and there. Aila? She looks like Queen raided Macy's or Old Navy for that outfit.

Also, :stare: at the big revelation today.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

KnoxZone posted:

Screw the cats, I want a picture of Geddoe wearing a Wizard's Hat.
Why not combine both? Wizard's Hat + a swarm of cats around Geddoe.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I think I now know Geddoe's full name: Geddoe Thorodinson.

And now I can't read his chapters without this song playing in the background.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hugo is my vote for becoming the Pyro.

I mean, True Fire Rune bearer.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Testekill posted:

We're yet to fight Yuber in a war battle. :shepicide:

Look at how bad Yuber is right now and then you'll see him in a battle where you can't control your troops.
I just realized that horrifying thought myself. :stonklol:

I have a feeling the subtitle for that update will be: "gently caress. YOU. Yuber."

yokaiy posted:

Yep, you sure will see some examples of that soon enough. :shepicide:

He's not even always the worst, though -- Sarah straight-up cheats during the next one. You'll see that soon enough as well.
Let me guess, she bullshits in a high-damage spell that she should never have access to, but then she also somehow chains into a full party heal.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

yokaiy posted:

He cried about it for a while first.
Yessss.....

Granted, after how much you've hyped Yuber to be this cold-hearted jackass, seeing him confused feels...off, for some reason.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Why did this game have to prove me, a person who has never played this game (or any Suikoden game, for that matter), absolutely dead on correct in predicting future bullshit? :negative:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

grandalt posted:

I just noticed something. I was going through FE PoR. I can't figure out how to show the image here, but Haar and Geddoe could almost be the same guy. Mostly laid back but gets passionate when dealing with things regarding old comrades, both only got one eye and brown hair, both very powerful units. Its almost as if Geddoe just changed clothes and got something to do the walking for him.
The "lazy slacker who gets motivated under certain conditions and is quite powerful" is something of an archetype in games. It's just that a lot of times, they're like Haar: a supporting character. Geddoe is a rare case of that character type being a protagonist rather than a side character.

Also, Geddoe is like, a thousand years old or so and is Thor-if-he-were-a-mage-character. Haar is probably in his 30s at the minimum and a physical attacker. They can't be the same person.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

yokaiy posted:

We may never know exactly what causes someone to defend against magic attacks, but I do know that talking about it with inverts has caused this monstrosity to be drawn.

The higher level the spell, the more of the song he sings.

Years later, and I still can't handle that that's a real song.
This is hilarious.

The image of Geddoe as a rap artist is equally hilarious.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

It's really kind of funny how much better Geddoe's dialogue as Flame Champ is than the other two. Hugo is generic JRPG boy hero #3184573, Chris is somewhat better, and Geddoe is...well, you'll see. :allears:
I will only accept Geddoe's speech if he accidentally falls asleep during the middle of it. :colbert:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CmdrKing posted:

Immolating both sides in a full-scale battle tends to leave an impression.
Randomly dropping giant gently caress-off meteors from out of nowhere also helps to leave a lasting impression.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Delsaber posted:

I thought Salome was older, too. Must be that hair. It really doesn't do him any favours.
For me, it's his facial design. It makes Salome look like he's approaching/already in his 50s, not someone who just entered his 30s. Then again, stress and war can have an effect on how people look. For instance, look at how the last three U.S. Presidents looked when they first took the oath of office, and compare them to when they left office (or in Obama's case, how he looks now). And given all the tension in Zexen, I'm amazed that Salome looks decent enough as it is.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

yokaiy posted:

On another note, Geddoe version coming shortly!
Yessss. :allears:

I await his speech and Lily's reaction.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

As much as I expected maximum :effort: from Geddoe, his speech works well. Here's a guy who was there when Iroh had to do all his legendary antics, and knows what it was like for Iroh the most out of anyone here. Who better to actually rally the troops than one of Iroh's former allies?

Also, his reaction to Lily (or, lack thereof) is perfect. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Votes:

Big Viki (I was wondering when she'd show up.)

(Combat)
Nash
Roland
Bright
Rody

(Support)
Tuta

• Locked thread