Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Chris just walks up and says it how it is.

That's why I love her.

Then manga went and RUINED HER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

You know...looking back on this game, I can't help but feel like Geddoe was supposed to be the "true" main character (cannon be damned).

Let's look at the candidates on a story and game play basis.

Story basis:

Let's start with Hugo, our pick. Honestly, I hate the concept of "a child shall lead them" because a child just doesn't have the knowledge, skill, or experience that an adult would have. I'm just getting that one out of the way.

The Zexens have no idea who this punk is (with the exception of Chris), they might as well have been asked to follow under Lucia (since, you know, he's her son and all that). The Lizards would look at him and go, he's just a new warrior, why the hell would we follow him. Even his own clan could take things the wrong way when asked to follow him. At best, it would seem like some sort of wonky situation where you're chief/general just asked you to follow the orders of the newbie warrior/private that would normally be under you. At worst it would seem like Nepotism. He also knows nearly nothing about war nor leadership.

Chris. Generally she has the same problems as Hugo, but reversed. She would at least have the respect of her own troops though (unlike Hugo she's already a commander AND she knows a thing or two about war).

Now Geddoe on the other hand, is essentially a third choice that could arbitrate between the two main groups. He has no affiliation to Zexen OR the grasslands. Furthermore, he's the only one of the three that really has a right to claim the FB mantle as he was the only one who was there in the first place. He has connections EVERYWHERE as well. He has leadership skills and has more than a century of battle experience under his belt. Being vague here due to story; he also seems to have the most in common with the main villain (who comes off as a shadow-type to Geddoe).

Gamplay wise.

Chris first, she's the worst. Don't give her the fire rune unless you like pain and suffering. We pretty much all know that.

Hugo. He's ok. He has a decent fire score, though he's more of a melee fighter. As Geddoe would say "eh".

Geddoe is a wizard character, he has the highest fire skill and magic skill to go with the rune. It's just such a drat shame that fire sucks in comparison to the lightning rune.

So to sum up my thoughts:

story wise Geddoe>Chris>Hugo

Gameplay wise Geddoe>Hugo>Chris.

Though giving up that TLR on the one guy who knows how to use the damned thing.... :negative:

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 13, 2014

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I respect your opinion, even though I disagree with it. As for my rebuttal:

Having played the the first two games I seem to recall that the "kid hero" in each had lots of trouble getting people to join him at times (elves spring to mind). Now when a rune chooses a person like that you have to deal with the cards you're dealt with. Here we had a choice. I personally think Hugo would be the wrong choice since he's outclassed in every way by Geddoe.

Even now he's getting a "not now kiddo" vibe from his mother in a war meeting. Him being a kid is a detriment in every way right now.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Podima posted:

Yeah, again, one interesting thing that Suikoden 3 does differently from the others is that whichever main character you pick from the three, NONE of them are actually the Tenkai Star! (It's Thomas, for reference.)

I actually always liked this. It was refreshing for the Tenkai star to be a supporting protagonist rather than the main one.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Geddoe has the best story, characters, and dialogue.

I love that guy.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Good read.

Always love reading about my favorite JRPG team. :dance:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

silversatyr posted:

I really appreciate these character design run-downs.

Is it just me that really, really wants Queen's boots? Because those things are snazzy!

Also, you'd think that a sniper like Jaques wouldn't wear a colour that would stick out so much against the brush he should be hiding in. That said, if he were standing against the sky (plains/mountains/etc) he'd probably blend in pretty well.

Poor Aila, though - that pink would not blend in at all. Good thing she's less of a sniper and more of a ranged attacker instead (yeah, there's not much difference between the two units, but ranged attackers can be seen and snipers are supposed to be hidden).

Also of interest is that there are two archers on the team - one that stands out and one that doesn't. If it weren't for Aila being an accidental addition, I'd say it were kind of deliberate - have the one that stands out make the enemy think they've got eyes on the sniper, only to have the actual sniper take them out in a surprise attack. After all, how many teams would have two archers? You'd only expect one in a well-balanced team.

I thought it was interesting.

I've always thought of Aila as a Support mage who happened to have a bow rather than an archer/sniper. She might not be the best support mage in the game, but she does a good enough job in the team she's in (with an added bonus of NOT running into combat if she decides to not cast spells).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

The 12th Unit look like they'd be right at home in a hypothetical fantasy Metal Gear Solid game. They even have a silly naming scheme.

I would buy this game :shepspends:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

yokaiy posted:

There's actually a fair amount of job overlap in the team -- Aila and Queen are both decent support mages (and Joker can be a pretty good healer if you give him a water rune), Aila and Jacques are both good snipers, Queen and Ace and Joker (and Geddoe, actually) are all good combat units, Geddoe and Joker are both good offensive mages, and Ace and Joker are both good "super-heavy-hit-but-stunned-next-turn" fighters. Which is actually part of what makes them work so well together, since they can pick up each others slack and do whatever needs doing when it needs to happen.

Eventually, yes. But for the longest time, Aila is really your only support mage on team Geddoe (and for that matter, your only healer). Queen has decide between being a better fighter and being a support mage because of her lack of open rune slots. Joker doesn't get another rune slot for a VERY long time, and to take water you must give up Pale Rune on him (not that this is a big sacrifice, he's kinda slow with the pale rune).

And ultimately, the other two don't bring earth or shield magic to the table, which are (in my opinion) the best support magics (outside of the weird yet effective ones like chant).

Note that I said earth and shield are the best SUPPORT, not healing magics (I differentiate the two). Shield just happens to be a healing magic as well. I'm not stupid, I know water is the best at healing :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 29, 2014

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

yokaiy posted:

There's someone I'm forcing into the party (in addition to Hugo) for the final boss, so you guys'll have to do Team Dog before that. :colbert:

Oooooo...I hope that is who I think it is.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Now that I think about it, I think this Suikoden involves the most True Runes out of all of the Suikodens (I'm not too familiar with the later ones, correct me if I'm wrong).

First you have the obvious - the 5 true element runes

Next the less obvious - The Star Sword is technically a true rune (I think), and you have Yuber running around with whatever the hell his rune is supposed to represent.

So that's seven true runes running around.

Then you get all of the characters that were involved in the previous games that saw all of the other runes added into the mix.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Actually, I take it back. I just did a quick count and I'm pretty sure 2 has more true runes in it.

Three just has more true runes central to the plot.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Testekill posted:

1. Rune of Beginning (Bright Shield and Black Sword aren't true runes on their own)
2. Night Rune
3. Blue Moon Rune
4. Beast Rune
5. Soul Eater
6. True Wind
7. True Earth (Can you really say true earth when Sarasai never uses it?)

That's all that I have

Yuber was in S2, so make that 8?

Also I was counting the sword and shield as true runes. You sure they don't count as separate ones?

Edit: Just looked it up, guess they don't count as separate true runes. Funny that.

Anyways, it still beats S3 if you discount the Circle Rune, since it never shows up.

Also, I do remember that while it wasn't directly stated, Sasarai very heavily hinted it in S2 so I would still count the True Earth rune. He flat out states he has a true rune, just not which one.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 2, 2015

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

FeyerbrandX posted:

That explains why he wasn't in IV; Elanor was too drunk to say it.

"Yuber, Tubor, uber, goober... heh, goober."

And then he became Michael Jackson for Suikoden 3 :downs:

I kept expecting him to do Smooth Criminal at some point.

dragon_pamcake posted:

It's never directly referenced or effects the story, but the Moon Rune does appear when its owner comes visiting.

Wait a sec....I'm 100% sure that character does not show up in Suikoden 3. A character related to said character shows up, but not the one you're thinking of. What the heck are you talking about?

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 3, 2015

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

dragon_pamcake posted:

One of the suggestion box notes or possibly an investigation reveals Nash had a visitor late at night and it's heavily implied to be his "old lady" Sierra.

It's in the newspaper, but I'll be damned if I can find a text dump anywhere.

Wow....I never knew that. That's so out there though that I have a hard time counting it towards the total :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

yokaiy posted:

Happy birthday, thread!

Alternates coming either a little later today or earlier tomorrow.

Eh....not enough Geddoe.

Seriously though, nice picture.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I WOULD have cried when this happened, but I Geddoe was my FC my first time through so it was the Fire rune that got jacked.

"Eh, I figure I'll just go back to lightning I guess" was my response at the time.

On my Hugo/Chris playthrough though, yeah, I cried.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

CmdrKing posted:

They do offer a partial explanation for how Luc is holding the Runes, but not why they can bectaken like that. It's worth noting though that his lines imply whatever technique he's using only works with the 5 Element Runes. I guess maybe It follows the logic of the the element chart in IV, and having multiple just lets him reverse the chart? Best I got.

I have a theory on this, but it would go into spoilers. As such I'm going to wait for an update or two.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

yokaiy posted:

Which begs the question of how he pried Sasarai's out of him with only his Wind Rune, but that's a gripe for another time.

Though that is answered, in a fashion.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Rirse posted:

So you're saying the True Earth Rune was in Sasari's giant hat? I like to imagine that Sarah stole his hat and that's why she can now use it.

I like the theory, but alas. The only reason I don't spell it out is spoilers.

We'll get to it in time.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

This is where Geddoe went from "My favorite character in the Suikoden series" to "My favorite character in all JRPGs"

Well....that and the "village idiot" line :smug:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

yokaiy posted:

: "Duke seems to be looking for loot inside."

: "Sure."

Strange idea of a family outing.

This was another thing I really liked about this part. Aila really seems to have gone from "naive newcomer" to "fellow merc who is totally down for some loot".

It's a small thing, but it shows character development on her part of being the "ten" of the group.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Defiance Industries posted:

This thread inspired me to pull my old PS2 copy out of storage. And also to try and figure out what emulator settings it runs with (speed hack turned all the way up, BTW, otherwise spell effects and towns slow the game down like 50%) but that's another thing.

Only through the respective Chapters 1 but I think that's a part where the three PoVs really hurts the game's pacing. It's like you get to play through that boring part of a Suikoden where you're just doing errands for your boss but you have to do it THREE TIMES. I can see how some people didn't get into it.

I never had a problem with this really. Seeing the same situation from similar viewpoints was down right fascinating to me when I first got this game. I think this was the first game that I played that seriously tried to do that.

Best Suikoden as far as I'm concerned.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I really like it too, mostly because Ged and his crew are written magnificently, but the beginning is tough to get through. Also Chris is a poo poo character, like the notion of making someone who is good at everything and who everyone loves a woman doesn't make her interesting so her chapters are a loving chore.

Eh.....

I like Chris a fair amount (more than Hugo)

It's all a matter of opinion I guess.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I'm not particularly fond of Hugo either but at least he has character flaws that play into the story (namely, he's a dumb kid). Chris is an anime main character. Her main concept seems to be that if she is portrayed as good at everything, and all the supporting cast talks about how great she is, you will decide she is interesting.

An anime female main character is generally either a weepy gal with issues (see Suikoden III manga's Chris :bahgawd:, I'll leave my rage on that subject out of this message for once), a manic pixie dream girl, or a complete badass who's always in control and has no faults.

(Game) Chris is none of those. She has faults. She can be judgmental at times (see Karaiya village massacre), despite being in command she deals with the fact that she's a figure head and mostly impotent (harhar), and she has self-confidence issues (though she doesn't go on and on about them).

Having been put in a leadership position that was like what she went through (though with no stabby stabby involved) I can't help but sympathize with her character.

In other words....I disagree again.

But opinions man.

Also, of course Geddoe is better. I would NEVER say anybody is better than Geddoe.

:stonklol: at the idea of flame champion Lulu

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 20, 2015

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

thetruegentleman posted:

Just the opposite, I think: Luc is a foil for Geddoe, since they both know the actual price of living with a true rune: the difference being that Luc has apparently lost his interest in humanity (or never had any to begin with) while Geddoe *still*, after a hundred years, surrounds himself with friends he *knows* are almost certainly going to die before him, if they don't actually end up dying with him instead. Luc, however, has surrounded himself with true rune bearers, who don't share the same sort of problems that Geddoe's companions do...but they also don't appear to make him feel any more alive or compassionate, like Geddoe's companions do for him.

Yeah, having played all three paths, Luc comes off as a foil for Geddoe more than anybody else. Another reason why Geddoe Path is the *Best Path. :colbert:

*With one exception

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 6, 2015

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Hunter Noventa posted:

I think we're all missing the obvious choice.

Why the hell isn't he going after the Beast Rune?

Beast rune - rune of animalistic rage and passion (according to the wiki).

Maybe we don't need the rage bit (but life as a bunch of zen monks seems sorta dull), but no passion? Blech.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Japan is not known for being super progressive on gender issues :v:

For example, read the Suikoden 3 manga :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Geddoe team is best team

Jeanne for support

Also, I'm pretty darn sure you can take the other true rune users on the FC's team. Or am I thinking of the Final Boss....ugh, my memory is blurry here.

But if you can, if you don't load the team with Hugo, Fubar, Joe, and the 3 other True Rune users I'm going to be VERY sad.

At least take Sassari so we can at least see what the True Earth rune does.

mauman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 22, 2015

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Ok then. Blurry memory it was then.

Also, good to know about Sasarai. The man needs his time to shine.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Nothing else matters....

But Nash MUST be Sierra

Also, have Nash play the wolf sometime.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Arrow to the head == Technical difficulty.

Sure, why not :stonk:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

inverts posted:

RUDE, what a bad dad. Though I guess getting a letter before he died would spill the beans to Chris, but come on man, couldn't you at least give your daughter a vague kind of encouragement or something.

He's in a an awkward position. The lady DID kill his adopted brother after all :downs:.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I always thought it was sad that Lily, Hallec, and Mua don't have extra dialogue here.

I always thought of them as the proper "team Hugo" along with Joe and Fubar.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Yeah, definitely not an easy fight.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Let's do this true rune style.

Hugo, Sasarai, Chris, Geddoe, and then Sgt. Joe and Fubar to help back our Flame Champion up. Can't have a true rune fest without the duck. :v:

This is the only group that you should ever take as a Hugo flame champion

Make it So + Jeane

Xerophyte posted:

because using a party that's not ridiculously overpowered is simply not permitted for a

Counter - we'll likely have Geddoe (w/ true lightning) in our final party. We have all of the OP we would ever need.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 12, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

All knights Chris fight....

...................:suicide:

Yuck.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Let's give a good :science: to the system here now that we know that this lp is still kicking.

I wonder who gave him the most problems? Hugo probably? I'd be shocked if team Geddoe gave him issues. Probably Hugo due to the Thomas comment.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Verant posted:

Funny enough, I was thinking about this LP earlier. Glad to see you're still kicking!

And yeah, my money's on Hugo. I'm still surprised that Chris didn't give him the most trouble, truth be told.

Well, I was thinking about it, and it does make sense to a certain degree.

What Team Chris lacks in offensive "oomph" they MORE than make up for in the defense (physical and magical) department.

mauman fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Holy hell!!

An update?!

I'm so happy :downs:

It's really sad that Suikoden didn't follow up on the story that was developed at the very end there and instead decided it would be better killing itself with terrible sequels.

• Locked thread