Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Anna Asagiri: MGPI

High Concept Magical Girl Private Eye
Invoke: To do private eye things, to do magical girl things; poo poo, this is pretty obvious.
Compel: To make her life noir protagonist terrible, to be mocked for or hampered by being magical, a teenage girl, a private dick, or some combination of the three.

Trouble: Little Miss Loose Cannon
Invoke: To do some Dirty Harry poo poo, to freak out Nic Cage in Bad Lieutenant style
Compel: To do either of the Invokes when it would be very inconvenient to do so

Background:
"You wanna know something funny? I love tokusatsu shows. Hey, just 'cause I said it was funny doesn't mean you can laugh, no-neck. Keep it up and you'll be laughing all the way to hell.

As I was saying. When I was a kid, well, more of a kid, I grew up on all that Ultrarider, Kamenman, Super Sentai horsecrap. It's the reason I'm in this crummy business; stuff rotted my brain enough I thought there was some real good in this world. Thought that the line was clear, black and white. Thought that the good guys always beat the bad guys and justice always prevailed. All of that is bullshit. Folks didn't beat that baloney out of my head but not for lack of trying; I saw the ignominy of justice firsthand. My pop's a private dick, sharpest tool in the TMPD but had to slum it as a traffic cop for years 'cause he got too close to the fire. GIA scooped him. I think he makes coffee for spooks now. It's worse on my mom's side; she was Magical*Miracle Misato-tan.

Wait, poo poo, Misato-Mama; she used having me as a "reinvention". Magical Girls are hungry for publicity, idols with messy severance packages. Real messy. Funny thing about the Mag Girl biz, once you grow tits they stop calling you -tan. It's a long, slow slide into puberty and obscurity as a Mag; first they call you -chan, then -nee, then some frou-frou bastard stage name like MiMi or Mami or CueTi, then they leave you rear end out and suffixless. Doesn't matter how many people you save, how many fires you put out, how close you get to madness. Once you're no longer marketable jailbait, you're done. Unless you come up with a gimmick.

Mom had Misato-Mama. I've got Anna Asagiri: MGPI."

Background Aspect: Seigi no Mikata
Invoke: To hunt down punks and criminals with burning JUSTICE~!
Compel: To do the Invoke when it would be very inconvenient to do so, to hate herself for not living up to TV kid show moral infallibility.

Yomikiri:
"The first thing you need to know about Magical Girls is that most are minor psychs. They get a little bit of spoon-bending and a little too much anime and they start thinking they're beautiful warriors of love and justice. Lot of those don't last too long; they piss off the wrong person or thing and disappear. Some of 'em grow out of it around college, treat the whole thing like some eight grader disease. A couple push too hard and just snap. Some as young as ten left staring beyond the veil until you close their eyes for good. Dead porcelain eyes, like a goddamned doll.

You get a couple of vigilante nuts or designer babies with layaway brains looking for trouble. Darwin claims those pretty quick, but they always cause a hell of a mess. Neo-Saitama got shut down when some girls fought over turf. Tried to cordon off the area with plasteel and a big ganguro broad put holes in it. Just stuck her hands into the stuff, tore off a chunk and beat another girl stupid with it until it broke. Lather, rinse, repeat. Hell of a thing to see at 14 working your first beat. Hell of a thing to realize you could do, if you gave a drat.

Me? I'm one of the lucky few "pure" Magical Girls. As in a girl who is magical in nature. It's not nice magic, but it works. Got it from my mom, who got it from a dusty tome in her grandmother's attic. It's on the OOI's shitlist now, Codex Liquifeo or something. Came with an imp from the Dreamlands; its real name sounds like choking on your own lifesblood so I call it QT. I am not the most clever of people. It gave me the standard spiel, same as my mom: sign the deal, spill the blood, sell your soul, save the world. Being young and stupid, I jumped at the chance. I mean, I could finally be the hero I saw on TV. Imagine being given the chance to fulfill your deepest desire as a kid, like fly a spaceship or turn into a dog or whatever. If you can sit here and tell me you wouldn't do what I did then I'll sit here and tell you you're full of poo poo.

Yeah, you. Ain't nobody else in the bar, is there? You're full of poo poo.

ANYWAY, I'm thrown out there, no training, no clue, full of piss and vinegar. Break up a few disputes, stop a few minor horrors. I was smart and I had connects, so I started doing the kid detective thing. Did police work on the side as a "Adolescent Paranormal Affairs Consultant". Actually outranked my dad for a little bit. Got a rep as a loose cannon since my adolescent awkwardness translated into a decent little bloodlust. Didn't let that faze me. Hooked up with some other mags, real good people. The MG5, we called ourselves. We fuckin' ran Uminari. I had respect, I had a squad, I had friends.

All that's gone. Six feet. All I've got now is a gun, a badge and some booze. And pills. Lots of pills."

Yomikiri Aspect: Vice Gripped
Invoke: To face down horrors with Dutch Courage, to get something from the seedy underbelly of the world
Compel: To drive her to drink, drugs, and/or (self)-destructive behavior

OVA:
"Fast forward. I'm in this juke joint in Chicago, trying to convince the bartender I'm of age, right? And in walks this moll. Gorgeous, in the way that makes you feel uglier just being in her presence. She's staring right at me, so I feel even worse. And she says, I'm not making this up, 'I need a dick'. Middle of the bar, loud enough for every lunkhead to hear. So of course she gets the third degree by every cock fit to crow. She's obviously uncomfortable and obviously from out of town, so I decide to help her out. Shoulda kept to myself, but my drat seigi no mikata started flaring up. I kneecap one lech that's a second away from working her over like tentacles in the weird stuff. Before anyone can pop off, I give them a peek at my little golden friend. They simmer down right quick.

I introduce myself to the lady, business card and all. When you look like I look, you make sure you do things like a professional. She smiled and gave me her name. Couldn't remember it. Called her Pinkie. She had pink hair at the time (I was zooted at the time) so it made sense. She took me outside, gave me an address and told me a sob story about a mysterious artifact. An opal stone, big as a quarter. Said it was lucky, that it kept her alive on these mean streets. Before I could press her for info she vanished. Straight up Houdinied. I was high enough for anything to be possible but it still didn't make sense.

That was my cue to call it a night, so I hailed a cab. Arab driver. Told him my address and not to make small talk. He made small talk. Went on and on about fate and luck, how we're all puppets in some grand game played by blind idiots. Sounded like cultist copy so I told him to stuff it, no small talk. He went dead silent, I mean dead loving silent. The kind of silent that makes its own sound. Few minutes later, he pulled over and told me this was my stop. It was the old meatpacking district. I live in Hyde Park. At this point, I'm getting heated. I'm in the cabbie's face, yelling and screaming and he keeps repeating 'This is the right place, this is your destination'. I'm about to pull out my piece and he peels out. Have half a mind to just lick shots, get it out of my system, but when I go for my gun I pull out my card. With Pinkie's address on it. I look up and that's where I am.

Now when I get there, I end up stumbling on a CoC cell. Regular freak soiree, with sacrifices and everything. I'd been looking for the bastards, DoA, ever since I ended up in Chicago. Naturally, I go in guns blazing; there were no Doughboys and nobody'll miss these fucks. Besides, you gotta grease a few to show you mean business. So I'm going to work, got my badass growl on, nice and blissed out on whisky and painkillers; everything's going aces. One of them's mouthing something that sober me would've blown his brains out for. Zooted me was too busy trying to get the high score in Whack-a-Cultist. I hear this inhuman shriek and a wet, tearing noise. My chest went cold, my body went numb. Mushmouth had stolen my heart and crushed it in his hand. Last thing I remember is pink.

I wake up next morning in my bed, hung over and freaking out. I clutch my chest. Nothing. I'm about to write the whole night off as a bad trip until I notice a letter on my nightstand, sealed with a kiss. It's from Pinkie, an opal choker and two words. 'Thank you.' When I put the thing on, I feel it beat like a second heart. Those in the know call it the Black Cat's Eye; I call it a second life. I've been shot, stabbed, set on fire and left to die. I'm still here. I never take the thing off. Never want to. They'll have to cut my head off if they want it.

Ever since that day, my luck's been terrible. Garbage falls on me, I've rolled snake eyes in Craps more times than is humanly possible, if a hoverbuggy has a screwy exhaust I'll get drenched with the runoff. Everybody at the precinct wants to play cards with me 'cause I always get the worst hands. When it's crunch time, though? Might as well be Irish."

OVA Aspect: Black Cat Strut
Compel: To have her luck turn to poo poo, to get taken out gruesomely
Invoke: To make other people's luck turn to poo poo, to miraculously survive

Skills:
+5: Investigation, Magical Girl
+4: Will, Guns
+3: Alertness, Lore
+2: Contacts, Empathy
+1: Intimidation, Systems

Magical Girl: Casting base. Gives her a little extra pep in her step for physical work; she'd be completely out of shape if it weren't for the magic keeping her fit. Knows how to work crowds and play dumb.

Stunts:
Quick Eye [-1]
Pin Them Down [-1]

Powers:
Supernatural Recovery [-4]
Catch: Not wearing the Black Cat's Eye (+2 easy to fulfill, +1 esoteric knowledge) [+3]
Sponsored Magic: The Dreamlands [-4]

Stress:
Physical: ()()
Mental: ()()()()
Social: ()()

Refresh: 1/8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
And that's everyone!

No more postan while I sort this out :colbert:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
In a shocking upset, Ettin selects the cast of K-ON as his players. Observers watch in increasing terror as the game thread fills with one man pretending to be four different animes pretending to be Cthulhu animes. The thread eventually collapses and takes down a significant portion of the Something Awful hosting systems when Ettin discovers a way to rhyme "cake" with "Hastur."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I said I was picking 4-5 but with 14 apps total I expanded it to 6. So:

Da'ud ibn Husam al Din, Super University Level Anthropologist (Mors Rattus)
Maximina Daniken von Gilgamesh, Teenage Big Game Hunter (Old Kentucky Shark)
Sharon-715, Manufactured Pop Singer (Desty)
Mina Fisher, Technomancer Cybercriminal (ProfessorCirno)
Arthur "Ghost Eye" Durandall, OOI Analyst Turned Tager (Davin Valkri)
Sun Yue, Death God With a Side of Wuxia (Comrade Gorbash)

If I didn't pick you, hold on to your sheet anyway; there are a lot of apps I'd hate wasting here so if things go well in February I might run a second NyarlathoTech game. I am not starting two at the same time, that would be literally insane. (You are all on synIRC so we'll be in touch.)

Another post coming up because we have THINGS TO DO.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Okay, so we have some things to sort out!

PHASES

You have two more phases to sort out now:

OVA: Guest starring in someone else's first adventure! Sort out who is going in whose adventure and have your character contribute a minor, supporting role. Write down the role you played and get an aspect from it!

Omake: Same as OVA, but with a different person.

I'm not deciding who goes into whose adventure for you, but I can if you would rather that.

THE ANIMEST THING

I am gonna put together a few aspects for the campaign, so to start:

If this were a manga/anime/whatever, what would you call it? Best name wins.

CITY CREATION

First... the game I have in mind isn't tied to a specific city, and I am not an expert on geography outside Australia, so I thought I would see if you guys have a preference! If there is a city you think would be pretty cool to run in, or there are certain city themes you'd like to explore, go ahead and post your suggestions. Since it's the future you are allowed to suggest cities that do not actually exist yet, or you can turn two nearby cities into a metroplex, or you can request an arcology because CthulhuTech has that poo poo all over the place. The only place I've decided exists is the Chicago/Milwaukee Metroplex, because it is the setting of another game I run. That means I am gonna set this one elsewhere. Sorry, Chicago fans!

Once we have sorted those things out we can get stuck into the rest of city creation and be done in a week or so, I hope.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

OKShark, got some ideas I want to throw at you, since we're playing the two high society rich kids.

Also, city suggestion: the London Commuter Belt.

(My second suggestion: Dubai.)

Also, title suggestion: Mausu to Dansei no Saikou no Keikaku, which romaji.me assures me is the JApanese for Best Plans of Mice and Men.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 18, 2013

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yue's Volume Three might as well be written for Sharon to be in the background, so that's a pretty good one to pursue. Maybe Mina was along for the convenience store cult, and Arthur might have been the one to compile her file about the Omaha concert. It's harder for me to see any ties to Da'ud, but he could have put out a paper that got incorporated into Sharon's concert rig and its accompanying dark arts. I gotta be honest, unless Mina's a big concert goer when she's not eating things, I got nothin' to tie her to Sharon. I am open to pretty much any kind of tie-in, though.

As far as cities go, we should clearly run in the Atlanta arcology zone. It's got a little bit of everything - an incredibly compact urban center surrounded by sprawling decay the size of many US states, it's the only cultural center of civilization for hundreds of miles in any direction, it's far enough away from the Florida badlands to be livable while still be in danger from the mutant hordes, it's got enormous disparity of wealth between the wealthy and impoverished, it's got all kinds of transportation hubs and defense contractors, it's the birthplace of so many pop acts, and it's got the Elton John mausoleum! How could you not call that the perfect place to have adventures?

Only people who watch dubs wouldn't know this series is called Nyarkalotekku Plus+: Beständigkeit GO!!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Whoohoo, I'm in!

I see an interesting idea for an aspect with Maximina, so OKShark, you want to talk to me?

For the city background, I'd suggest someplace in New England, considering, you know, Lovecraft, but anyplace close enough to water works.

And for a title...When the Deep Ones Cry or the Japanese equivalent; theme should clearly be Bokurano's "Uninstall".

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay, talked to OKShark, so now...

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Third Volume: “You and I remember Budapest very differently”

Maximina's first contact with the larger Soul Network came only recently, when a hunt in Hungary went awry. It all started when she got a text from her cousin Erika von Daniken, also a Wolf Lodge member, claiming that there had been some Green Fury activity in Budapest. Apparently the cultists had discovered some ancient texts claiming that a river troll slumbered beneath the muds of the Danube, sealed away by a Moravian sorcerer of all things.

@MaximumMina: "wat, seriously? trolls R real?"
@ErikaTheReddest: "I know, rite?"

The Green Fury, seeking to raise the creature, had infiltrated a water treatment plant. Having nothing better to do, Maximina threw her best dancing shoes, a DSR 50, and her father's credit cards into a bad, tossed it in the trunk of the family Rolls, and headed down to Budapest. She and Erika went to ground in the sewers, where they quickly discovered that Erika's imperfect Hungarian had muffed part of the message: not Troll, but Trolls. Things would have gotten pretty hairy if it hadn't been for the timely arrival of...

OVA: Hey, Did You See That Thing I Did?

Da'ud hadn't really planned to deal with trolls. Or sewers. He'd been in Budapest on vacation...but a little curiosity goes a long way. Especially when he ran into an old school buddy. He ended up getting pulled into the chaos when he spotted a few arcane sigils, heading into the sewers. There, he ran into Maximina and Erika having trouble with trolls, and...well, you can't let a friend get into trouble, right? Even if she was way better with any form of weapon than him. He ended up trying to show off, hardening the mud and...mud in the sewers around the trolls to give Maximina a better shot. Of course, he'd never have managed to get the spell off if it wasn't for...

(And I'm unsure who to tag for my last aspect.)

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 18, 2013

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
千影の未来を輝かせて! (Chikage no mirai o kagayaka sete!) Shining Future of One Thousand Shadows!

That's almost certainly gibberish despite Google Translate's claims otherwise.

Desty posted:

Yue's Volume Three might as well be written for Sharon to be in the background, so that's a pretty good one to pursue.
Works for me! Shoot me a PM or check me on IRC if you want to talk it over.

By the way, so far we've got:

quote:

Da'ud (Mors Rattus) -> Maximina(Old Kentucky Shark)
Sharon (Desty) -> Yue (Comrade Gorbash)
Arthur (Davin Valkri) -> Maximina (Old Kentucky Shark) [Tentative]

Everyone should end up with two people getting involved in their adventure, so still lots of connections to make.

Someone has to suggest Neo-Tokyo so I will bite the bullet. For less traveled places, how about Beijing or Paris?

EDIT:
Teamed up with Da'ud for the OVA! (Let's see how quickly MorsRattus regrets it.)

quote:

OVA: Double Order of Sorcerer, Hold the Sashimi
Checking out reports of evil magician activity - okay, reports is a bit strong. Gossip of evil magician activity in an ocean side town, Yue discovered that the magician was actually much too pretty to be evil. Unfortunately for her hopes of a seaside holiday it turned out the whole place was infested with horrible fish-men. Da'ud, the mage, said a bunch of stuff about old gods and conspiracies and whatever. The important thing is she got to kick some ugly fish-man rear end and scope out some cute magician rear end.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 19, 2013

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Reasons why we should play in Dubai
A Pictorial Essay by Mors Rattus

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 19, 2013

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Nix my previous suggestions.

I'm pulling for Istanbul.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Nix my previous suggestions.

I'm pulling for Istanbul.
Not Constantinople?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Okay in an effort to keep track of this, here's the breakdown so far.

OVA
Da'ud -> Maximina
Maximina -> Sharon (Tentative)
Sharon -> Yue
Mina -> Arthur (Tentative)
Arthur -> Mina
Yue -> Da'ud

Omake
Da'ud
Maximina
Sharon
Mina
Arthur -> Maximina
Yue

EDIT:
Also helpful - here's what we're jumping into.

Da'ud: The Dagon Ethnography (Deep one shenanigans)
Maximina: You and I Remember Budapest Very Differently (Troll hunting goes wrong in Hungary)
Sharon: Information High (Convenience store cult)
Mina: Eternal Showoff (Hunted by PSS-6)
Arthur: Old Office Interconnections (Caught in the middle between the OOI and the Children of Chaos)
Yue: Shinigangnam Style (High speed chases, demons, and K-Pop in Seoul)

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 19, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
ProfessorCirno, how's this for a guest star in Mina's story?

OVA: Guest Starring in Mina Fisher's "Eternal Showoff": Albetson, You Magnificent Bastard, I Read Your Book!

Having a background in intelligence means you know all the tricks bad guys use to try to hide themselves from detection. But it also means that you know what the analysts are looking for when they go trawling for plots. So when Ghost member and Soul Network friend Mina Fisher feels the heat from OOI branch PSS-6, Arthur uses his somewhat limited experience with computer analysis and decidedly less limited experience with intelligence analysis to lead PSS-6 team members on a wild goose chase, giving them all the faked intel they could ever ask for and dragging them as far off Mina's cyber trail as he possibly can. Of course, hacking isn't his primary skill set, and eventually he straight-up runs out of tricks, but that doesn't stop...(insert 2nd guest star here).

Sample Invoke: Use a program for something other than its purpose, assist Mina, "I know exactly what you're looking for and I'm going to give it to you to throw you off completely"
Sample Compel: Give something away through the smokescreen, suddenly run out of options, "I misread your book and gave you exactly what you wanted aaaaaahhh"

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 19, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If Desty's okay with it, I'll guest star Maximina into Sharon's OVA.

I just need to think of a funny Aspect first....

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Well, Sharon can't ever eat anything that came off a roller grill after the convenience store adventure, and Mina keeps eating horrible things, so that one seems like it should be pretty easy to puzzle out. PM me or mail me at my gmail account "destysa" so we can hash out the details.

Ettin, should we be aiming to make a whole new thing for Omake? We're gonna run out of Volume Threes to guest star in.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Doublepost, but Gorbash got back to me and the antics look pretty sweet.

OAV - Rubber Seoul: Sometimes the B/PbAML sound techs have bad ideas. Like putting in this one forbidden syllable that draws the attention of some of the nastier things that lurk on The Other Side. Long story short, in the middle of "Don't Hear What I'm Told" this thing bursts onto the stage during the Seoul concert in 2117, this Chinese girl comes out of nowhere and hits it with a sword, and an hour or two later the monster's dead underneath the wheel of a commandeered taxi that's on fire, all just a few hundred meters from the DMZ fence. Nobody died, so it all got spun off into a big promotional stunt, and occasionally Sharon and Yue correspond about the latest musical trends. This is presumably how normal people make friends.

Invoke: Hey, I remember that concert!; Great PR Team; Big in Korea
Compel: Hey, my lawyer remembers that concert!; Completely Oblivious to the Monster/Concert Correlation; Sharon Doesn't Know How to Drive, Either

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So for city suggestions so far:

• Dubai
• London Commuter Belt
• Atlanta
• New England or somewhere near water
• Neo-Tokyo
• Istanbul

OKShark/Cirno, anything to add?

Desty posted:

Ettin, should we be aiming to make a whole new thing for Omake? We're gonna run out of Volume Threes to guest star in.

Normally you just add someone else to your Volume Three, but if you guys want, I am planning to start with you guys having done a mission or two together already so I could do a basic writeup of a mission for you to insert yourselves into.

quote:

Koreachat

Oh man, North Korea. Maybe we should work out what happened to that place after a century of Cthulhu magic if you guys are going to involve that peninsula in your backstories.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ettin posted:

So for city suggestions so far:

• Dubai
• London Commuter Belt
• Atlanta
• New England or somewhere near water
• Neo-Tokyo
• Istanbul

OKShark/Cirno, anything to add?

I'm ok with whatever more or less, as long as my semi-punk cybercriminal fits in somehow!

We could do it in Australia but nothing interesting is there~

quote:

Oh man, North Korea. Maybe we should work out what happened to that place after a century of Cthulhu magic if you guys are going to involve that peninsula in your backstories.

Liberated thanks to the efforts of a lone, brave English teacher.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
OAV - Hack All IPs Simultaneously

It wasn't luck that lead Arthur's OOI agent to find and rescue him. While watching the raid through a mix of hacked cameras and technomagical sprites (mostly for kicks), Mina couldn't help but notice the tager fall and hit the ground only to turn human. A little cross referencing here, a bit of snooping in OOI databases there, and a match was found. All it took from there was one quick redirecting of a fellow agent's commands to put him in the right direction, and that's another Good Deed Done by the greatest cybercriminal known!

Invoke: Hack the poo poo out of things, move with unearthly speed while in CYBERSPACE, be granted affinity with bizarre technomagical creatures.
Compel: Be easily distracted by new tech, feel the need to break into any system she comes across just for the fun of it, be granted uncomfortable affinity with bizarre technomagical creatures.

~*~

My title suggestion is Nyarlatho-san Sweeper X.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ettin posted:

North Korea is the last country on the planet not ostensibly part of the NEG or its related coalitions. They recently achieved atomic power. The superior Juche spirit lives on in the latest of the Kim dynasty, who rumor has it recently purged the gerontocrats and is running the entire country by himself, though surely that's not possible. North Korea is likely the only country entirely free of Deep One colonization of its coasts.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ettin posted:

Normally you just add someone else to your Volume Three, but if you guys want, I am planning to start with you guys having done a mission or two together already so I could do a basic writeup of a mission for you to insert yourselves into.

After chasing up some of you for a reply I decided we'll just do it the regular way and have your Omake at least tangentially related to a second person's Volume Three somehow. Also, no dessert until you finish your vegetables no city creation until we're done!

Reposting Gorby:

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Okay in an effort to keep track of this, here's the breakdown so far.

OVA
Da'ud -> Maximina
Maximina -> Sharon (Tentative)
Sharon -> Yue
Mina -> Arthur
Arthur -> Mina
Yue -> Da'ud

Omake
Da'ud
Maximina
Sharon
Mina
Arthur -> Maximina
Yue

EDIT:
Also helpful - here's what we're jumping into.

Da'ud: The Dagon Ethnography (Deep one shenanigans)
Maximina: You and I Remember Budapest Very Differently (Troll hunting goes wrong in Hungary)
Sharon: Information High (Convenience store cult)
Mina: Eternal Showoff (Hunted by PSS-6)
Arthur: Old Office Interconnections (Caught in the middle between the OOI and the Children of Chaos)
Yue: Shinigangnam Style (High speed chases, demons, and K-Pop in Seoul)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I propose just sticking with the "two guest stars per Volume Three" setup; seems cleaner than the alternative.

Also, OKShark, what do you think of this?

Omake: Guest Starring in Maximina Daniken von Gilgamesh's "You and I Remember Budapest Very Differently": Operation Street Sweeper

Arthur is in Budapest to "practice his Hungarian and sightsee Buda Castle" (read: make contact with the Eldritch Society there and look for Dhoanoids) when he hears a massive commotion about one of the outlying water treatment plants. So, being the good person he is, he flies over to the scene and sees a very brave Maximina and Da'ud looking to take down the trolls that had set up shop there. He steals a few radios out of a Hungarian police car that had responded to the scene--their owners having apparently charged forwards and been eaten already--gives two to Maximina and Da'ud, and keeps the other one to coordinate a textbook "assault on fortified position" with them and the Hungarian assault squads from 2,000 feet up. Push up here, hold here, cover here, tear-gas here, shoot here...it's all so very clinical, so Close Combat-esque. At least until the operation is done, and he has a chance to walk among the blood and ruin that the trolls, their handlers...and in a way, Arthur...are responsible for...

Sample Invoke: Assist Maximina, keep calm under direct threat, coordinate military style action
Sample Compel: Lose sight of individual lives in the "wargame", be surprised when "wargame" experience and real life conflict, get shaky when confronted with the results

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 21, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Desty posted:

Well, Sharon can't ever eat anything that came off a roller grill after the convenience store adventure, and Mina keeps eating horrible things, so that one seems like it should be pretty easy to puzzle out. PM me or mail me at my gmail account "destysa" so we can hash out the details.

I am lazy and bad at email, so try this:

Maximina's OVA: Guest-starring in Sharon's "Information High"

Subchapter: "I Eat Guys Like You for Breakfast!"

Maximina was just chilling in a Shop N' Sit, glancing at the stale, plastic-wrapped choco-biscuits and wishing she weren't in flyover country hell, when a tantalizing odor assaulted her nostrils. Was that...? Yes! She'd never forget that unusual mix of turmeric and sea brine. Someone was frying Dhole in the middle of a yankee convenience store! Maximina slid one hand into her handbag and cocked the double action of her Tsunami Arms Helix, loading a 10ga. slug into the chamber as she stalked down the potato chip aisle. She spotted the suspect food turning slowly on metal rollers next to a weird looking, fashionably dressed blonde girl speaking to a nerdy guy. Behind them, a suspicious looking clerk was unloading a case of tubular pink mystery meat links.

"Drop. Those. Taquitos," Maximina demanded, leveling a revolver the size of a cannon.

Invoke: to give the brush off to some punks who are fronting, to identify mystery foods, to resist fear
Compel: to be distracted by delicious arcanoflesh, to dive in over her head because she thinks she can handle it

Edit: Look alright?

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 21, 2013

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

It's good with me if it's good with you. You want to define the nerdy guy, or have him be a Ghost operative we can name whenever it's convenient?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hm. Unsure what to do for Omake. (My internet is currently pretty spotty, as a note, until Thursday.)

Maybe stepping into Arthur to help in the form of dramatic magic help, flexing my Magneto powers to keep things contained and directed as part of the Diogenese Club being officially allowed to exist if they're helpful.

(I am fairly sure I can't pick anyone without doubling up.)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

OVA posted:

OVA DONE!
Da'ud -> Maximina
Maximina -> Sharon
Sharon -> Yue
Mina -> Arthur
Arthur -> Mina
Yue -> Da'ud

Hooray! OVAs are done.

For Omake, the following have been mentioned:

Omake posted:

Omake
Da'ud -> Arthur
Maximina
Sharon
Mina
Arthur -> Maximina
Yue

So for maximum nerdage I sat down and figured out from there the optimal connections to maximize entanglement. I also made a pretty picture.

Da'ud could also connect with Mina or Sharon without doubling up. If Da'ud goes with Mina instead...

or with Sharon one of these

I don't think there are any other cases, given the way the OVA played out and given that Arthur -> Maximina has been agreed to already.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 22, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
While we wait...

Not all of these are going to appear a lot, especially some of the Cults (unless you ask) but I made Aspects!

Soul Network
Aspect: Alone, We Stand Together

Diogenes Club
Aspects: Better Living Through Omniscience; Manners Must Adorn Knowledge; Collections and Connections

Eldritch Society
Aspects: Monsters With The Hearts Of Men; Death To Dhohanoids; Shrouded In Secrecy; Failure Is Not An Option

G://0st
Aspects: Buffer Overflow Protection; Boot Up Or Shut Up; I Thought What I'd Do Was, I'd Pretend I Was One Of Those Deaf-Mutes

Shinigami
Aspects: Mage Slaying Soul Reapers; 10,000 Years Of Rules; Destroy All Monsters; Are They Still In Soul SoThe Dreamlands

Wolf Lodge
Aspects: Nodens Is A Pretty Cool Guy; Hunts Mythos Creatures; Doesn't Afraid Of Anything

Children of Chaos
Aspects: Cult Of The Crawling Chaos; Nothing Personal, It's Just Business; You Don't Have To Be A Dhohanoid To Work Here But It Helps; More Money, More Problems

Disciples of the Cold Ones
Aspects: Sciencultists; They Called Me Mad!; Fantasy And Microchips; Agents In Every Institution

Green Fury
Aspects: "Iä! Shub-Niggurath!"; Getting Back To Nature; Gorilla Warfare; Use Their Science Against Them!

O.O.I.
Aspects: Semper Occultus; For Our Eyes Only; Protect At Any Cost

Ettin fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 23, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Hooray! OVAs are done.

For Omake, the following have been mentioned:

So for maximum nerdage I sat down and figured out from there the optimal connections to maximize entanglement. I also made a pretty picture.

Da'ud could also connect with Mina or Sharon without doubling up. If Da'ud goes with Mina instead...

or with Sharon one of these

I don't think there are any other cases, given the way the OVA played out and given that Arthur -> Maximina has been agreed to already.
based on this, it looks like most of Maximina's optimal placements are with Yue. That works for me, if it works for you.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Thanks for doing the hard stuff for us, Gorbash.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

based on this, it looks like most of Maximina's optimal placements are with Yue. That works for me, if it works for you.

I'm good with that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hm...Davin, how's this look?

Omake: If It's Worth Doing, It's Worth Doing With A Flair

Da'ud was not a fighter or soldier. That is for other people. But power was in his blood. Power was his birthright. Not just the power of money, but the power to control others. That was why they'd called him in. It was his duty, they said, to use that power. The Diogenes Club provided such things when needed. It was the arrangement.

Da'ud didn't especially like taking orders from the government men...but they told him to contain the battle. That was all they ordered, thank goodness. And so he could show them the real power there. A great magnetic shield, a dome over the battle to ensure no one escaped. No one out...but someone in. It wasn't very long, but Da'ud spotted the strange creature approaching the field...and made a spot judgment, warping the magnetic field around him. And, once he landed, using metallic objects to shield him long enough for him to get somewhere useful.

They'd never know how hard it was, how much work went into making sure that happened. But Da'ud would. It was art, and he'd know. That was what mattered.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Hm...Davin, how's this look?

Omake: If It's Worth Doing, It's Worth Doing With A Flair

Da'ud was not a fighter or soldier. That is for other people. But power was in his blood. Power was his birthright. Not just the power of money, but the power to control others. That was why they'd called him in. It was his duty, they said, to use that power. The Diogenes Club provided such things when needed. It was the arrangement.

Da'ud didn't especially like taking orders from the government men...but they told him to contain the battle. That was all they ordered, thank goodness. And so he could show them the real power there. A great magnetic shield, a dome over the battle to ensure no one escaped. No one out...but someone in. It wasn't very long, but Da'ud spotted the strange creature approaching the field...and made a spot judgment, warping the magnetic field around him. And, once he landed, using metallic objects to shield him long enough for him to get somewhere useful.

They'd never know how hard it was, how much work went into making sure that happened. But Da'ud would. It was art, and he'd know. That was what mattered.

Looks good to me, but how's it invoked and compelled? Invoke to do something awesome, compel to focus on artistry over effectiveness?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Davin Valkri posted:

Looks good to me, but how's it invoked and compelled? Invoke to do something awesome, compel to focus on artistry over effectiveness?

Pretty much, yeah. Good for detail work, bad when you have time constraints and don't want to deal with the perfectionist.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Thanks for doing the hard stuff for us, Gorbash.

How much of a nerd does it make me that I had fun doing it?

Anyways, I'll start working on connecting up with Mina.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

A pretty drat big nerd, but then I was happily doing layout and text editing for hours last night, soooo

We're using this pattern now, correct?

It'd be really cool if for Omake, we did a round-robin story thing. What Da'ud does with Arthur sets up Maximina sets up Yue sets up Mina sets up Sharon, etc. Worth the effort, or just write stuff so we can get to city creation?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I think i've decided that maximina is a fan of Sharon's pop music. Also, dubstep.

Omake: I'm a GI Joe Girl in a Barbie World

Maximina was passing through Seoul when she found herself bombarded by advertisements for a concert by that weird girl she vaguely remembered from America. "A concert," she thought. "That's something normal people do!" So of course there was a monster attack at the concert, right when Maximina had finally gotten the lighter app to work on her phone. Worst of all, the only weapon she had managed to sneak past the concert's metal detectors was an itty bitty carbon filament monoknife. How'd that Chinese girl get a bloody sword through?

Still, she remembered the words of her father; "When you're outmatched and outgunned, hit 'em with a truck!" One commandeered semi later and downtown Seoul was a mass of smashed cars and inescapable gridlock, but at least the monster was dead. And she finally got a chance to bashfully ask the idoru for her autograph.

Invoke: to conceal weapons, to pretend to be a normal girl, to cause wanton collateral damage
Compel: to fail utterly at being a normal girl, to get distracted by in pursuit of normalcy

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Love it, OKS.

Omake: No Minute Like the Last Minute
Despite the best efforts of Arthur and Mina, PSS-6 was closing in. It was time to stop being subtle. Arthur put in a call to a friend he knew from Budapest. She wasn't available, but she knew someone who would be just what they needed, and promised to make some calls of her own. So they waited. And waited. Where the hell was this person? PSS-6 was literally pulling up and no sign. Assholes are at the doors, fiddling with the locks.

Wait, who the hell is that chick sitting on their sedan eating a taco? Where the gently caress did she come from?

Invoke: Make an entrance, Help out her friends, Score delicious food truck food
Compel: Be overly dramatic, Get distracted by food, Try to help her friends even when they don't want it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Omake: She Of Many Mostly Just Two Faces

The Convenience Store Cult mission more or less went down without a hitch. Mina let her hair down, applied a quick dye job, put on a suit, and come in pretending to be one of the heads of the cult using her own knowledge of otherworldly creatures to supplement. Her mission was to find and open a few hidden entrances to let a new agent - some pop star? - in. Of course then some lunatic started shooting up the place demanding whatever the bizarre meat was and Mina found herself in a position of authority without any clue what to do with it, but hey, we can work through complications.

Invoke: Disguise herself impeccably, get information from others without them realizing it
Compel: Be (rightfully) confused for one of her disguises, have her disguises bring her more trouble then expected

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 24, 2013

• Locked thread