Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Behold the Yardmaster.

We were using the old seats from a Roadmaster as bonfire seating but they kept digging into the ground and tipping over backward.

So I threw together a quick base for them. Need to mount a 6-pack holder in the middle ahead of the seats, and wire up the seat controls.

so awesome. Also- is your deck more organized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, it's significantly cleaner now. Actually most of the house is. It's a welcome change.

Also, I got the entire AC system out of a Justy at a local yard, hopefully most of it will bolt into mine even though it came from an 87-88 and will be going in a 94. The hard part (compressor brackets, compressor, alt bracket, and most of the refrigerant lines) appears to fit the same either way, the HEVAC box section may not be compatible however. Not sure where I can get a condenser, either, may have to go custom on some of this stuff.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

kastein posted:

Also, I got the entire AC system out of a Justy at a local yard, hopefully most of it will bolt into mine even though it came from an 87-88 and will be going in a 94. The hard part (compressor brackets, compressor, alt bracket, and most of the refrigerant lines) appears to fit the same either way, the HEVAC box section may not be compatible however. Not sure where I can get a condenser, either, may have to go custom on some of this stuff.

The joys of old rare economy Subaru ownership... even SGP has no loving idea Justys even HAD AC. As in, it's not listed at all, not that all the parts are NLA, they just aren't even shown on parts.subaru.com. No evaporators (or for that matter, heater cores - I'm hosed / have to make my own if I ever have one corrode out) are listed on rockauto. They list 3 condensers, but two are out of stock (and probably will be forever) and the other lists dimensions that are 5 inches from matching the one that I got at the JY. It is listed as fitting 84 through 95 Justys when they were only made from 87-94, and firstgen and secondgen are fairly different, so I was already suspicious before getting out my tape measure.

Oh well, the poo poo I really needed was the evaporator housing (in the Justy, there are 3 pieces to the HEVAC box - the heater box, the evaporator box [or a plain duct, on non-AC-equipped vehicles], and the blower box) and the compressor, lines, compressor bracket, etc. I can make or piece together the rest myself now that I know the basic dimensions I have to match.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

kastein posted:

The joys of old rare economy Subaru ownership... even SGP has no loving idea Justys even HAD AC. As in, it's not listed at all, not that all the parts are NLA, they just aren't even shown on parts.subaru.com. No evaporators (or for that matter, heater cores - I'm hosed / have to make my own if I ever have one corrode out) are listed on rockauto. They list 3 condensers, but two are out of stock (and probably will be forever) and the other lists dimensions that are 5 inches from matching the one that I got at the JY. It is listed as fitting 84 through 95 Justys when they were only made from 87-94, and firstgen and secondgen are fairly different, so I was already suspicious before getting out my tape measure.

Oh well, the poo poo I really needed was the evaporator housing (in the Justy, there are 3 pieces to the HEVAC box - the heater box, the evaporator box [or a plain duct, on non-AC-equipped vehicles], and the blower box) and the compressor, lines, compressor bracket, etc. I can make or piece together the rest myself now that I know the basic dimensions I have to match.

I had no idea a justy could even turn an a/c compressor my bestie's newish suzuki 3 banger can barely do anything with the a/c on.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Apparently they can.

I'm talking to some guy at GPD who says a local distributor may have a bunch of their condensers around for me to just look over till I find one that's a size I like. Here's hoping they have a nice one, the closest I can find so far is for an 05-08 Dodge Ram 1500-3500 pickup and it is an inch or so too tall.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm guessing the existing one is already quite small, but worst case couldn't you find one that is smaller and fabricate a block-off plate to keep air from escaping around it - or just not give a gently caress if it does?

It also seems like a condenser should be something not insanely hard to get custom-built if need be.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

I had no idea a justy could even turn an a/c compressor

It's a combo deal, A/C and jake brake.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
To save weight and complexity the emergency brake is connected simply to a switch that activates the AC clutch.

Bonus points, it's a unicorn NC A.C. clutch and the hvac controls actually open it when not needed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm guessing the existing one is already quite small, but worst case couldn't you find one that is smaller and fabricate a block-off plate to keep air from escaping around it - or just not give a gently caress if it does?

It also seems like a condenser should be something not insanely hard to get custom-built if need be.

Yeah, that's the plan - I've basically been looking at any condenser that is roughly the same size or smaller. Which, well, unfortunately the Ram one is the only one I've found :doh:

Worstcase I'll buy a serpentine one that's the right size in two dimensions (thickness and width) and slice a couple rows off the top or bottom, then learn to braze aluminum.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
What size are you looking for?

Universal ones come in all shapes and sizes, there's got to be something that works for you. If you're lucky the car uses standard o ring fittings, which you can have custom hoses made cheaply.

Hell if the compressor is that rare, if but a Chinese sanden knock off and build brackets for it. They seem to have a decent track record on forums.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Compressor is easy, I have 100% of the brackets and fasteners as well as the compressor itself in good shape. It is some sort of Hitachi, I forget the part number. Rebuild kits are available, if it comes down to it I will swap to a sanden 709 series from a 97-01 XJ or 99-04 4.0L WJ/00-05 TJ depending on which has a better port and mounting bolt configuration. Probably WJ/TJ since it is designed to bolt to the side of a block.

The condenser - had no idea universals were available, thanks! I am totally not opposed to that, since OE bolt-in is either NLA or $texas.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

WINTER IS COMING

(and I don't want the Justy or the Roadmaster to rust, ever)

Local goons who have a car they don't want rusting, and a lift, but don't have a fluid film gun: BYOFF (buy your own fluid film) and I will apply it to your car with my gun if I can borrow the lift and do the same to mine. Unsure when this is happening, but probably soon.

E: Also, the new belts arrived for the Bolens tractor and I got the bolts for the custom motor mount adapter plate this morning on the way to work, so I think the tractor's getting done tonight.

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 28, 2015

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Wait, when did you get a roadmaster? I don't recall seeing that in a post..... I recall seeing the seats from a roadmaster. I must have missed something.....

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The Roadmaster is my girlfriend's. It's 100% rust free from Washington, and I want to keep it that way.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
My A/C hose crimper finally got here from its long boat ride.
If you need custom A/C hoses I might be able to help with that!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Nice, I'm about to buy a California rust-free Toyota and was wondering how good fluid film is. I'm thinking I need to coat my frame, inside and out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

My plan is Eastwood internal frame coat first, then Hammerite on the exterior, then after those cure, fluid film inside and out and maybe have a local company do an undercoating job.

mafoose - that'd be awesome. We shall see what I end up needing.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

kastein posted:

The Roadmaster is my girlfriend's. It's 100% rust free from Washington, and I want to keep it that way.

I'm sorry ken, there cannot be a rust free vehicle in the compound for long or the spirits will be displeased.

brb loading sandblaster with salt

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

brb loading sandblaster with salt

Sounds like you work for the MADOT plow crew.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

So has the OptiSpark and/or water pump poo poo itself yet?

If not... you're going to be teaching her a lot of new words when they need attention.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Ehhh, it is a pretty big engine compartment to work in, not too afraid of that. Also it is sadly an L05 engine model, the LT1 was introduced the next year. Do L05s suffer the same craptispark leakage issue? I forget.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I believe those have a standard distributor in the back, optispark sits up front by the water pump (so it should be easy to check).

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
From some light googling it looks like the L05 doesn't have optispark, which is nice. It also appears to be a throttle-body-injection motor?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

literally a fish posted:

From some light googling it looks like the L05 doesn't have optispark, which is nice. It also appears to be a throttle-body-injection motor?

So when it gets cold and doesn't wanna start have fun replacing that little underpowered fuel pump. Those are a giant failure point for all Tbi gms

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If it's anything like the TBI 4.3 on my blazer (which it should be, it's literally a shortened 350) it'll also vapor-lock on warm-ish days about 5-15 minutes parked after a drive. I didn't even think that was possible on a fuel-injected motor but drat if my truck didn't do it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's been driven a lot in california and never had any issues like that, so so far I think it's safe.

Not looking forward to the fuel pump so here's hoping it doesn't blow up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just wanted to leave this link here if you haven't seen it already, it's about shifter bushings for the Justy. Got it from SeatSafety.

http://hooniverse.com/2015/08/17/justy-little-project-car-shifter-tips-for-everyone-sweet-new-wheels-for-me/

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have already seen it, but had lost the link, so thanks!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

leica posted:

Just wanted to leave this link here if you haven't seen it already, it's about shifter bushings for the Justy. Got it from SeatSafety.

http://hooniverse.com/2015/08/17/justy-little-project-car-shifter-tips-for-everyone-sweet-new-wheels-for-me/

Omfg, thank you for that, it answers a bunch of questions the Justy forums are kinda nebulous/vague about (tire/wheel size/offset, how the 4WD actually engages, swapping out shifters).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I got the studded Winterforces I bought for the Forester last winter mounted and put them on it.

Lessons learned:
- studded Winterforces are every bit as loud as I remembered
- they sound like a TIE fighter!
- now I can't hear the bad trans input bearing, driveshaft carrier bearing, driveshaft ujoints, differential pinion and carrier bearings, and rear wheel bearings
- therefore they are no longer a problem and can wait until spring.

The tractor project cockblocked me hard today, multiple times. Hoping to prevail but it's looking messy.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I was at the junkyard today and saw an '88 FWD Justy. I don't suppose you need anything that's easy to ship, do you?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

I got the studded Winterforces I bought for the Forester last winter mounted and put them on it...

I'm a little concerned about the weather lately. I put my winter tires on two weeks ago because my summer tires were dangerously bare, and now it's freakin 60 degrees out. In the middle of December. What the gently caress weather?

Now I have to worry about my winter tires wearing too much. Great.

Edit: Now look what you've done!

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 16, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sorry, I got the newly acquired tractor with snowblower attachment running and driving Sunday night. Winter is cancelled until further notice.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Sorry, I got the newly acquired tractor with snowblower attachment running and driving Sunday night. Winter is cancelled until further notice.

I knew it seemed odd that it was December and 50 degrees. This explains everything.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kastein posted:

You also purchased a furnace. Double-whammy of jinxing winter.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Your girlfriend is probably thinking "This is the dreaded winter he got a furnace to protect me from?"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Adiabatic posted:

Your girlfriend is probably thinking "This is the dreaded winter he got a furnace to protect me from?"

"No, see, since I bought the furnace, it's not getting cold. Because that's how weather works. If I hadn't bought it, we'd be freezing to death. So the furnace is actually keeping you warm anyway... You're welcome." :smug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I mean all furnaces produce CO2 if you go far enough up the power chain, so in a roundabout way they kind of are. :v:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
If everything works out, I may be visiting Sam's on saturday if you want to hang out smashing jeeps and/or help look for a dash dimmer for a silverado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

First half of the day I'm probably busy taking my LTC/FID safety class (not sure the registration went through) and second half I'll probably be going insane working on the house and Roadmaster, but come on by and grab your generator while you're down here! I feel bad that it's been here so long now.