Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I just put it on my charge account at work. I've found poo poo for a 150% markup on the retail side before, usually in suspension components. :smug:

Granted that just brings it in a bit below rockauto's prices.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Remaining issues:
- I made the ebrake cables worse than they were
- track bar is hosed
- ignition system needs refresh
- radiator needs replacement
- clutch fan needs replacement
- FPR might need doing?
- brake system still acting hinky
- need to clean IAC and throttle body

New issues:
- PS barfed all its fluid out. Need to flush and maybe install a new PS pump, the used one I put on in 2013 might be junk.

I took it for a longish test drive and things broke, but also used my new fuel pressure gauge on it and pressure is right where it should be while idling and with the vac line unhooked. It does jitter a lot but I suspect that is due to the engine shaking like crazy still because it smooths out right when the rpms get high enough that the engine stops shaking. New stuff arrives tonight.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Remaining issues:
- I made the ebrake cables worse than they were ebrake now fixed!
- track bar is hosed
- ignition system needs refresh plugs wires cap and rotor done, engine now runs worse
- FPR might need doing?
- brake system still acting hinky leaking flare union cleaned and retightened, MC cleaned and bled, whole system bled, brakes now good
- need to clean IAC and throttle body

New issues:
- PS barfed all its fluid out. Need to flush and maybe install a new PS pump, the used one I put on in 2013 might be junk. fixed by tightening a loose fitting on the pressure line, flushing whole system with clean PS fluid, and refilling

Here are the old plugs, this engine might just be junk.

Also loving IDIOT PREVIOUS OWNER

Goddamnit

Here is this idiot's idea of electrical repairs:

Let us count the sins:
40A in a 10A slot, dome light
40A in a 20A slot, directionals/reverse lamps
5A in a 25A slot, somehow not blown (option probably not installed) headlamp delay
20A in a 10A slot, parking/marker lamps, this is the circuit I had to completely rebuild on the back of the truck. Because it was melted. I bet it had a 40 in it at one point.
40A in a 10A slot, "ETR", whatever that is
40A in a 7.5A slot, gauges

This motherfucker is the one putting pennies in fuseboxes... I hope he drowns in a loving toilet. rear end in a top hat, did you ever stop and think?

kastein fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 17, 2023

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
That's how my "friend" killed my car. 60amp in a 30amp slot. ASD wire melted through out the entire engine compartment wire harness.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Is that a wire jammed down by a fuse? :stonklol:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Why pay for a fuse tap when you could just jam a wire in? (Said one of my customers who came in asking for a new fuse to get his a/c working. Yanked the wire, reseated the fuse and he drove off with working a/c.)

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

kastein posted:

- ignition system needs refresh plugs wires cap and rotor done, engine now runs worse

"I fixed it, now its broken" should be this threads title. I'm not sure how you can put up with the series of manufacturer/PO induced failures for this long.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It is really getting to me at this point. I just want to loving drive my truck. I may have screamed myself hoarse and punched the steering wheel so hard my hand is sore.

EightBit posted:

Is that a wire jammed down by a fuse? :stonklol:

Yup! It feeds two circuits "repaired" by the idiot, the half melted gauge cluster circuit and the formerly half heehaw, half melted parking/marker circuit. It is happily running off a 10 now instead of a 20. I would wire it back into the panel (that 20 amp fuse does nothing, the tap replaces it) but the slot's lower terminal is absolutely destroyed because some loving idiot put a huge fuse in it.

I wonder who that was?

Oh, he also put a 40 in the tap fuse socket. SURPRISE!!!!!!!! :commissar:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
But Kastein, it needs ALL the power! What ever would he have done without it??

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Well if I put a 10 back in it will just blow again, so obviously I need to open it up a little bit like the nice doctor did to my cousin's urethra when he had all them pissin' crystals. 20 it is.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Issues:
- track bar is hosed
- ignition system needs refresh found problem, ignition now functional and firing on all 6 cylinders.
- FPR might need doing?
- need to clean IAC and throttle body done! Also installed new TPS, it now remains running if you release the throttle while driving.
- PO retard put all 40 amp fuses in the panel
- PS barfed all its fluid out. Need to flush and maybe install a new PS pump, the used one I put on in 2013 might be junk. needs one more hoseclamp to solve leak on return line.
- idles low and stumbles while driving occasionally. Studiously ignore this since it gets from A to B and will pass inspection this way.

Pics/video tomorrow. Got it running and driving pretty well tonight.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Issues:
- track bar is hosed
- ignition system needs refresh found problem, ignition now functional and firing on all 6 cylinders.
- clutch fan needs replacement done, stole the one off the red XJ
- FPR might need doing?
- need to clean IAC and throttle body done! Also installed new TPS, it now remains running if you release the throttle while driving.
- PO retard put all 40 amp fuses in the panel
- PS barfed all its fluid out. Need to flush and maybe install a new PS pump, the used one I put on in 2013 might be junk. needs one more hoseclamp to solve leak on return line. nope this motherfucker is still leaking like crazy. Not sure where, it is a massive power steering fluid mess now and leaks are impossible to pinpoint
- idles low and stumbles while driving occasionally. Studiously ignore this since it gets from A to B and will pass inspection this way.

So I tore into it Friday night. Valvecover off. Why wasn't #6 firing? Place your bets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wRSwRx54UQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMLSuJecVDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN-NZL9Kh_c

Stole the valve cover gasket out of the pile of parts from the white MJ's original engine (shut up, they are 32 bucks and reusable, no way am I blowing 32 more on this poo poo engine)

Need to patch the floors driver side to pass inspection, found the sign the realtor never picked up after I bought my house:

hmmm seems to be missing some bits

warning to not rustbelters. shield your poor virgin eyes. I will patch this properly when I gut the truck for a full chassis/body makeover. For now I just jammed bits of sign over the holes and dropped the carpet back on the floor. Zero adhesive, fastener, or weld molestation of the remnants of my floorpans.

IT'S A loving MIRACLE

INSPECTION STICKER: GOTTEN

Remaining issues:
Radiator. Doesn't seem to be cooling too badly.
Wiring fuckery cleanup
It stumbles and dies 2 to 4 times before reaching normal temp
Doesn't seem to have much power
Violent DW possible above 40, likely above 45, certain above 47
Trans shifting feels a little funky
P/S exxon valdez leak has now chewed through nearly 2 gallons of fluid in under 100 miles
Ebrake might be dragging (see issue 4)
Floors aint the best...

Shits mint

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Track bar replaced, steering is tighter and less wandery now, still gets deathwobble at 45. Goddammit.

Gonna get an alignment tomorrow and see if it fixes it, but not really expecting good results.

Also it is still lacking power and rather wheezy at low rpms and seems to stop firing at all, then pop and backfire a lot, then take off again. Unsure what sensor is at fault, need to test some more stuff. Resisting the urge to begin the V8 swap immediately, since a limping truck is more useful than a jackstand truck right now.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

kastein posted:

P/S exxon valdez leak has now chewed through nearly 2 gallons of fluid

So do you buy PS fluid by the case or do you just buy big jugs of atf?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Where do you look next for the death wobble? Ball joints? Do the spring bushings have anything to do with it on the leaf spring Jeeps?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Both of our thread titles have exactly 61 characters:

Figured you might want to know.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Where do you look next for the death wobble? Ball joints? Do the spring bushings have anything to do with it on the leaf spring Jeeps?

A loose trackbar doesn't help, but assuming that he got it bolted on right and the hole isn't too loose, probably the tie rod and drag link and all of their associated ball joints.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyIS5CEMuOk

Adiabatic - haha, didn't realize that :v:

Astonishing Wang - the back is leaf, the front is exactly the same setup as an XJ/ZJ/TJ. at this point probably a lovely steering box, bad alignment, or lovely tie rod ends. I did the upper balljoints and the lowers look and feel fine so hopefully not that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's probably better at this point to thread a fitting with a hose into a power steering jug cap, run it to the PS pump and ratchet-strap the jug into the engine bay.

Just screw the cap onto new jugs as the old ones draw empty. Delete the reservoir.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Total-loss power steering.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

No kidding. I've driven the truck maybe 250 miles since its resurrection and I've used nearly 3 gallons of power steering fluid. The pump, the box, and the pressure line are all new or new to this vehicle and known to not leak.

I did stop at a parts store on the way home from BUYING A MOTHERFUCKIN' TIRE MACHINE and got gallon #4 of power steering fluid and also a GM fuel line repair kit, dorman 800-153. As far as I and the counter guy could tell it has the same oring ridge fitting and M16x1.5 retention nut as the factory return line (what is leaking - I already replaced the soft part of the line, but the hard part and the junction of the two drip regularly) but instead of being 37 dollars and not in stock it was 15 and on the shelf. Gonna custom form it to fit my application tomorrow hopefully.

The tire machine? 50 bucks from a friend. Older than moses, all air powered, mounts and dismounts 13 through 17 inch tires up to 34" diameter. Could use some work... it was loving $50.

Once I get this one up to snuff I will probably pass it on to Slow is Fast for rally service and get a better machine I've been offered for 300. I am really tired of having to either bust my rear end with tire spoons or find time and pay someone else to do my tires.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 16, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Zip tie a funnel with a hole drilled in the lip under the leaking return fitting, use a 12v aquarium pump to feed it back into the bottle.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
e: wrong thread

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 16, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It took a long rear end time (like 2.5 hours in, 2 hours back) but I drove the MJ to work for the first time. Deathwobble sucks, couldn't go over 40 and was therefore stuck battling rush hour on surface streets for 80 miles each way.

Got a better tire machine on the way in though! Next up: time to resell the older one.

I'm pretty sure the rear axleshafts and wheel bearings are thrashed. The rearend is making some very wheel-bearing-like noises. It's a dana 35, so if those are bad it's getting a chrysler 8.25 slapped in because gently caress the dana 35.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

IN FURTHER SHOP NEWS:
After some yapping last weekend ACEofsnett and I decided that it's probably best if the free mill I got from Disgruntled Bovine live in his shop with my tire machine(s), rather than trying to get it into my basement. This is slightly less convenient for me (but honestly, it's only about a 20 minute drive, I don't care) in the long term because it won't be 30 seconds away at all times, but significantly simplifies and accelerates my house construction plans since it's not holding up the kitchen remodel until I can rip out a wall and lower it into the basement, and will be way way better for actually using the mill because it's in a proper shop instead of a cramped basement. Also we get to play with it sooner rather than later.

SO. I threw the ginpole crane and chainfall back on the 5 ton to get the mill airborne again, and a trailer was backed up underneath it:

Then after a long leisurely drive at 40mph with the mill on the trailer and the tire machine in my deathwobble-y truck, we arrived at the shop and proceeded to break every OSHA guideline in the book a half dozen times over while unloading the mill and getting it located in the shop:

TADAAAAA:

Next we hosed about with a live 480V 3-phase panel after blundering around tracing conduit on the ceiling to figure out what fed the abandoned 3-phase junction box in his shop. It turns out that it was a 100A breaker feeding 50 feet of #8 THHN. Great choice, previous electrician! I turned that breaker and an unused 30A breaker off, triple checked that they were dead, and moved the wires to the 30A breaker, then :siren: properly marked the breaker as to what it now did* :siren: so now the place won't go up in smoke if we overload the drop. I doubt we'll be drawing more than 30 amps on a 480 circuit anyways.

It turns out that after a few jumpers being moved around, the mill will run happily on 440 (440 is to 110V as 460 is to 115V as 480 is to 120V... same poo poo, basically) so I'm shotgunning electrical supplies on mcmaster and hopefully we can wire it up and then disassemble the mill's head and figure out what's wrong with it next weekend.

* seriously, it's now the only properly marked breaker in the entire panel.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh yeah, forgot all about this. Earth Day happened recently and I couldn't make it to any of the local Jeep clubs' trail/woods cleanup events, so the GF and I did our own cleanup Sunday morning. She's amazing, this was her idea this time around, though I did a lot of this kind of thing (on the same road, in fact) back in 2012 and 2013 because I hate seeing garbage everywhere too.

This all came off about a quarter mile of unmaintained town road that I had cleaned till it was absolutely spotless in 2013. Fuckin' people, man. It's going to take us months to get it all cleaned back up again now, there are probably another half a dozen truckloads of trash, debris, furniture, tires, TVs, old auto parts, shingles, siding, mattresses, bedsprings, etc strewn along the rest of the road.

This was a drop in the bucket though... a club in the next state over (Ocean State Jeepers) partnered with a few dirtbike, cyclist, and general concerned citizen groups in their area and did a major cleanup along a river. One of their members got this aerial shot of the stuff they cleaned up:

Yeah, that's 3 fullsize rolloff dumpsters each for general debris and tires. :aaaaa:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You're awesome. Good job. :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I simply do not understand what drives people to dump poo poo like that out in the wilderness. I was on a trip this past weekend to a mountain that's a solid hour west of the very west edge of what you can call metro Phoenix, so solidly middle-of-nowhere, and there's still people dumping poo poo. Not even for target practice, just dumping their garbage.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You know what really, really pisses me off? This was all in Sturbridge, about 7 miles from my house.

In Southbridge, where I live, we have free garbage pickup. They don't require special bags or anything. Whoever loving dumped this poo poo could literally have just put it in bags and dumped it on a random curb in a neighborhood during their garbage day and it would have gone right to the landfill where it belonged. Large/bulky items (old furniture and stuff) all you have to do is call them and say what address it will be at, and even that isn't generally required/enforced, they just want you to warn them.

People sicken me.

On the other hand, it does make disposal easy for me when we do cleanup days. Aside from the three tires we dragged out, everything will be recycled or thrown away in our garbage for free. The tires will cost me like ten bucks at the local tire shop, not a big deal. I burned more than that in gas today commuting.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, there is a fairly stock looking, mildly rusty (for florida at least, no holes I can stick my fist through) 72 jeep J-2000 down the road from my work for $2800 obo. I seem to remember this being on the list of vehicles you were keeping an eye out for if it came up cheap. I can even go get pictures if you're interested.

https://goo.gl/maps/svzkzdVtqW42

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 26, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Thanks a ton for the offer dude! That's about 3x my ideal price though, and I can't seem to spend 4 figures on a vehicle without it being utterly cursed :sigh:

Also, I have plans in motion for a mystery vehicle right now... may even come with free delivery. More than one acquisition at a time is likely a poor choice.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

kastein posted:

Thanks a ton for the offer dude! That's about 3x my ideal price though, and I can't seem to spend 4 figures on a vehicle without it being utterly cursed :sigh:

Also, I have plans in motion for a mystery vehicle right now... may even come with free delivery. More than one acquisition at a time is likely a poor choice.

Wait...another? I still want to see the MJ that hasn't been seen.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Fair enough. It does have a big red flag of aftermarket marker lights on the roof, so given your luck, it'll turn out he hacked up half the wiring to install them and broke every other thing woth a wire running to it along the way.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Glad to see you got that thing indoors. I'll be interested to see what you find when you tear it apart as the only thing I heard was something's wrong with the head gearing. Hopefully standard Bridgeport parts work. It's a clone, but I don't know if that means it's identical, or just similar enough to screw you in minor ways if you try using Bridgeport parts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ssjonizuka posted:

Wait...another? I still want to see the MJ that hasn't been seen.

Yup. I got a dead project running, so it's time to get another dead project to rebalance the Force :v:

Elmnt80 posted:

Fair enough. It does have a big red flag of aftermarket marker lights on the roof, so given your luck, it'll turn out he hacked up half the wiring to install them and broke every other thing woth a wire running to it along the way.

I'm less worried about the wiring (on trucks that old, it's all Delphi/Packard 56 series poo poo, I can spend 40 bucks on mouser/digikey ordering connector housings and terminals and build a brand new harness in a day - and I'd be swapping an EFI powerplant in anyways, so custom harness ahoy) and more about the impossible to replace sheetmetal and body/interior parts. Around here, sheetmetal is the most important, I can pillage rotten shitbox donors at the junkyard for interior plastics and stuff.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Glad to see you got that thing indoors. I'll be interested to see what you find when you tear it apart as the only thing I heard was something's wrong with the head gearing. Hopefully standard Bridgeport parts work. It's a clone, but I don't know if that means it's identical, or just similar enough to screw you in minor ways if you try using Bridgeport parts.

Thanks again! And yeah, I'm interested to find out what's going on in there too. The table is still in good shape, it got a very mild layer of flash rust but I can polish it out with steel wool after dissolving the 50 thou thick layer of congealed WD-40 it's accumulated under its tarp since I got it. There was extremely mild rust spotting on one of the ways from it sitting there with water in between for a while (I drove the poor thing home in a rainstorm when I got it from you, and there was a period where the plastic sheeting over it had torn and I didn't realize) but after swabbing everything out with a rag, refilling the lubrication system, pumping it, and recleaning, it all glides just as well as it ever did.

I'm a little confused by how the gearing could be broken since it's got a CVT knob on the front - maybe there's gear reduction as well? The spindle just plain won't turn, so I'm pretty sure it does have a gearing issue. Can't wait to tear it apart piece by piece, clean everything, find the busted stuff and hopefully repair it. I doubt I'll understand what all the knobs and levers do till I see what they're connected to anyways.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Is there a spindle brake, or motor brake? I think some of the older Mills had that.

If the thing was capable of tapping holes they would need some sort of mechanism for stopping/reversing in a big hurry.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have absolutely no idea :v:

It's a Sharp HMV. I can't find a single manual for it online, everything on Sharp's website references the LMV series.

e: except this brochure http://www.sterlingmachinery.com/db-files/sharp%20hmv%20vertical%20turret%20milling%20brochure.pdf

It appears to be the middle one in the top row.

e: I'm starting to get suspicious that the LMV may just be a slightly revised version of the HMV. Anyone know for sure? My machine tool autism is not up to the level required to answer this.

This machine does have a spindle brake, I'll have to see if it's engaged.

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 26, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Captains log, stardate 29-4-2016:
0920: Scotty notes during a 5000rpm WOT pass on i290, he is not sure the ship can take it much longer
0925: We arrive at a Mobil just off i495 with a rather concerning tempest brewing under the hood
1020: Having aborted mission, we return to home port. She's got the knocks alright.

It turns out I should have checked my oil level this morning before leaving :shrug:

OFF TO THE JUNKYARD. EJ22 shortblock, HGs, intake/exhaust gaskets, and a water pump gasket, or EJ25 phase2 and slam it right in? Who knows! Depends what I find.

Hoping to have it driveable by the time I need to pick the GF up from work since we carpooled today. There are 2 other driveable shitcans in the fleet right now, but where's the fun in that?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

Captains log, stardate 29-4-2016:
0920: Scotty notes during a 5000rpm WOT pass on i290, he is not sure the ship can take it much longer
0925: We arrive at a Mobil just off i495 with a rather concerning tempest brewing under the hood
1020: Having aborted mission, we return to home port. She's got the knocks alright.

It turns out I should have checked my oil level this morning before leaving :shrug:

OFF TO THE JUNKYARD. EJ22 shortblock, HGs, intake/exhaust gaskets, and a water pump gasket, or EJ25 phase2 and slam it right in? Who knows! Depends what I find.

Hoping to have it driveable by the time I need to pick the GF up from work since we carpooled today. There are 2 other driveable shitcans in the fleet right now, but where's the fun in that?

Goonspeed, you are absolutely batshit insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

yeah that didn't happen. I did have the motor out at the junkyard by 3:30, but need to put it in today.

Engine donor was 4s3bh6753y7610922 - judging by the giant crater in the rear passenger door and the pile of dodge truck grille plastics in the trunk, and the 3/19/2015 auction date, it got whacked during a snowstorm last year.

Pictures later, maybe engine swapping shortly